Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Sabrblade : (21 June 2021 - 08:58 PM)

Daddy!

@  Kalidor : (21 June 2021 - 04:50 PM)

Not just any girl - your mom!

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 June 2021 - 08:19 AM)

Happy Knocked-Up-A-Girl Day!

@  Bass X0 : (20 June 2021 - 02:13 AM)

Happy father's day!

@  Hot Rod Mustang : (19 June 2021 - 07:45 PM)

what up sluts?

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 June 2021 - 07:20 PM)

Only 6? Filthy casual.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 June 2021 - 04:26 PM)

Multiplaying as in "playing with other people" or multiplaying as in "6 WoW accounts running at the same time"?

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 June 2021 - 01:45 PM)

Oh no! Darkeklaw is multiplaying! (See birthday box)

@  tigerhawk : (19 June 2021 - 11:54 AM)

In my Marvel comic canon the second wave of special teams were handpicked active robots whose experience would theoretically make more stable combiners, the Combaticons came from Cybertron, the Protectobots were imprinted from crystals explaining both Onslauhghts ancestry and First Aid's experience.

@  Dekafox : (18 June 2021 - 05:24 PM)

Spotlight: Lioconvoy?

@  Bass X0 : (18 June 2021 - 04:15 PM)

How long until IDW puts out an Optimus Pride Month comic?

@  Cyoti : (18 June 2021 - 03:32 PM)

Even with B5, it didn't follow its original 5-year plan. Summaries from the supplementary materials for the scriptbooks demonstrates that was originally planned was very different from the actual product. Sinclair's actor's departure seemingly changed the show to the point that the stuff with the Vorlons/Shadows, the Minbari and the ending were all changed. Mapping out a show years in advance is difficult because of changing bts stuff like writers/actors leaving the show or suddenly having to retool because of ratings/execs. No plan survives intact especially in a chaotic environment of television production.

@  Rycochet : (18 June 2021 - 11:27 AM)

To be like Babylon 5, you need to cram a 2 season story arc into one because you fear being cancelled, then get further seasons you have no more material for. You also need a spinoff which the network heads don't want and do everything in their power to kill it while it's on air.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 June 2021 - 10:33 AM)

The required effort is probably why we don't have babylon 6; TNG.

@  Dekafox : (18 June 2021 - 10:23 AM)

Everyone wants to be like Babylon 5 but no one wants to put in the effort

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 09:36 AM)

And then, after five years of hosting their own official podcast where they would answer fan questions and always encouraged their audience to pay attention to the mysteries, after the show had ended, they claimed the show was never really about the mysteries, it was all about the characters.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 09:34 AM)

What really bugs me with "Lost" is that the producers had willfully negotiated a set end date with the network halfway through season 3 (the show ended with season 6, as planned) specifically so they could plan out the plot for the remainder of the show. Then... the plot wasn't resolved properly.

@  tigerhawk : (18 June 2021 - 04:17 AM)

By then I had lost interest in arc TV shows, I followed a few and got the impression they were just making them up as they went along. Seemed to be a trend starting with new Galactica and Lost though in actuality began with The X Files and has become a trope called 'The Chris Carter Effect'.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:12 AM)

I think it was season 3 part 1 specifically, since they had two separate plot "arcs" for season 3.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:11 AM)

They threw everything in there, with no clear story structure, no clear stakes, and characters flip-flopping wherever the episode's writer needed them to go for their half-baked plot.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:10 AM)

Season 3 was the worst, with a terrible meandering random events plot.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 11:59 PM)

'save the cheerleader' then in season 3 he tears her skull open, scans her power and she simply heals. They didn't think any of it through.

@  Shockwave 75 : (17 June 2021 - 07:04 PM)

Well, you know Hollywood; if something's popular, run it into the ground!

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

And then there was the Writers' Strike, which isn't the show's fault.

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

Yeah, Sylar should've been, if not killed off, at least left to rest.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

It never truly recovered from that.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

Season 1 was good until the finale.

@  Paladin : (17 June 2021 - 09:37 AM)

because it sucked.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 08:58 AM)

Heroes was cancelled twice.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 06:33 AM)

The song's official name is "Holding Out for a Hero".

@  PlutoniumBoss : (17 June 2021 - 12:54 AM)

That's a long time to wait for a sandwich.

@  Maruten : (16 June 2021 - 07:13 PM)

Lucky there's a hero arriving in July.

@  Steevy Maximus : (16 June 2021 - 05:38 PM)

I think I've heard "I Need a Hero" more times this past week than I have in the past several years.

@  tigerhawk : (16 June 2021 - 12:41 PM)

Thanks to Earthrise I can recreate the end of Return of Optimus Prime part 1.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 June 2021 - 11:19 AM)

I wish they would do something like that here: but then it would become obvious in which provinces you're getting gouged.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

Here in Germany, the price you see is the price you pay, tax included.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

I always find it weaird hearing that stores in the US don't initially already taxes in their prices.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 04:33 AM)

You know what's kewl? Poor literacy.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 June 2021 - 04:31 PM)

Awesome, thanks for the heads up.

@  CORVUS : (15 June 2021 - 04:12 PM)

Kewl. Thanks!

@  Kalidor : (15 June 2021 - 02:08 PM)

Hey everybody! I wanted to announce that Sarahthecutevixen is our newest addition to the Allspark staff. She's primarily looking over discord stuff, but I wanted to make sure she got a welcome over here as well.

@  NovaSaber : (14 June 2021 - 11:07 AM)

Turn-Bass RPG

@  Sabrblade : (14 June 2021 - 10:21 AM)

Do not X0 quietly into the night.

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 June 2021 - 10:13 AM)

All your Bass are--

@  Donocropolis : (14 June 2021 - 05:56 AM)

*Bass X0 not available in Alaska or Hawaii.

@  Steevy Maximus : (13 June 2021 - 07:36 PM)

Get your own Big Mouth BassX0 for the low price of $19.95 (plusshippingandhandling)

@  repowers : (13 June 2021 - 12:45 PM)

Mr. Speaker, we are for the Bass X0.

@  Nevermore : (13 June 2021 - 06:04 AM)

It's all about that Bass XD.

@  tigerhawk : (13 June 2021 - 02:16 AM)

Will altering the moons orbit in any way help.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (13 June 2021 - 01:51 AM)

Now that you have seen this Bass XO, you must send it to five other Bass XOs or BassXO will come to you in a week and then you too will be BassXO.

Photo

Race

1842 replies to this topic

#41 CORVUS

CORVUS

Holy crap!

• Supporter
  • 34416 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:47 PM

QUOTE(Strafe @ Jul 21 2013, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, so what's with this? Why can't a person speak correctly, why is that derided?

Its can be racial, it can be cultural, it can be both.

I dealt with that a LOT growing up, because I'm from a small coal-town in southern WV, and I have a very large, very broad vocabulary which I've never been shy about using. I got a lot of snide remarks about it growing up. Less so when I got older and got picky about who I surrounded myself with. The basic attitude was "Why do you talk like that? Do you think you're better'n, everybody else?"

Yeah, its one of many reasons I prefer not to go back there if I don't have to.
"Whoa, it's been upgraded to stank. Just last week it was only stink. Stonk can't be far away." - Strong Bad

#42 Crypt

Crypt

Noodle Poodle

• Citizen
  • 12959 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE(Rhinox @ Jul 21 2013, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I want to say this, knowing that it's very harsh, but I don't know how else to say it or if anyone else thinks the same, so bear with me. Is anyone else really looking forward to when this older generation finally dies off so their racism and bigotry dies with them? I mean, I know it's been passed on in a lot of cases, but living in Kansas I am surrounded by old white people who don't need a reason to treat blacks like jive. My coworker and friend, Ramon, is still referred to as "that colored boy" in Marysville, KS. He's been driving their mail there, banking there, even bought a house there for over a decade. Everyone knows him and the trucks we drive. I get polite nods and the ol 1 finger off the steering wheel howdy. He gets the bird and called colored boy.
I know that the younger people are not nearly as racist as the elders. I myself am not racist and in general prefer the company of black people simply because I don't want to listen to the old white jive anymore. I know I'm not the only one of my generation like that and I feel there are more of us then there are of those who inherited their parent's hate. Will the older generation dying solve the problem, certainly not, but to me I can't think it'd hurt. Am I wrong in thinking that?

I think this is a huge misconception among people that the newer generation is so much less racist. They're less overtly racist, sure, but a lot of the misunderstandings and institutional racism are still there, which is even harder to get rid of. It's a harder problem because nobody wants to admit their prejudices, so it becomes this thing everyone sweeps under the rug. We can't even address racism anymore because everyone wants to believe that they're these perfectly accepting people that live in a post-race world. We've got this gigantic problem now but nothing to point at.

#43 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 60898 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:03 PM

Here's the thing about being white... [language]

#44 Galenraff

Galenraff

Sarcasm: unappreciated.

• Retired Staff
  • 33615 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:50 PM

On affirmative action - I've had opportunities working in higher education to listen to a lot of very smart experts on the matter say a lot of things about it, both for and against.

First and foremost, there is value in encouraging diversity in an institution. Whether it's a workplace, an educational setting, a family or group of friends, whatever, different and creative ideas are good to surround yourself with, and as long as people are respectful and good about communication, mostly they lead to stronger bonds, better ideas, more productivity, etc. without devolving into arguments and fighting. So given the historical and current struggle for inclusion and diversity, this is something that institutions need to try for.

But you can't just do it based on a quota. Having X number of whites, X number of blacks, X number of Asians, whatever, doesn't work. Because then your quota may look fine, but the lunch room still just has the white table, the black table, the Asian table, whatever, and no one actually takes advantage of the opportunities of the diversity at the institution. So it has to be a more concentrated effort at inclusion and cross-cultural exchange and development. That's HARD.

It's even harder to do in a way that doesn't make it look like it's reverse racism. Anyone at a college campus who has ever noticed or complained that there isn't a "White Cultural House" is aware of the risks of the more hands-on approach to bridging the cultural divide. And it's (IMO) a fair enough point, because that really does have the appearance of reverse racism on the surface.

As Cheets said, today's white people never owned slaves, and most aren't aware of their own advantages, and are not thinking about how to willingly oppress minorities or anything, so it's not wholly unreasonable for whites to not recognize the deeper institutional issues or to react to the way it looks and feels on the surface to seem like you're excluded from "special treatment."

But you have to understand that it isn't special treatment so much as it's trying to subtly correct a very serious and sensitive inequity in our country. Until minorities, and blacks in particular because of slavery and so many years of oppression ever after that, reach a sort of tipping point after which they are in enough of the institutions in significant numbers that affirmative action isn't necessary anymore. When there's enough women, Latino, black CEOs, or judges, or doctors, or admissions officers, or HR search committees, or police chiefs, or whatever, that the system actually works in a fairer and equitable way, there's a need for it to continue. People don't really harbor that sort of hatred for, say, Irish, like they once did, for example. It can be gotten past. But just because "the president is black," isn't sufficient. It's a pretty good milestone, to be honest, but the fact that the Zimmerman case happened, went the way it did, and that the conversations are still this uncomfortable in the national discourse, shows that we're still not there.

So while we won't necessarily know it at the time it happens, until we get to that tipping point, affirmative action is still good to keep in place, despite the drawbacks and perception risks, because the institutions of our country (and the people living in it) still have a ways to go.

ALERT: Everything is fine.

#45 Cat

Cat
  • Retired Staff
  • 11612 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:53 PM

QUOTE(Nyarlathotep @ Jul 21 2013, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aboriginal Australians are treated very differently than black Americans though.

Can you explain that?

Because they really aren't. Both are excised from society, treated to stigmatising laws and treatment by society, much more likely to be poor, much more likely to lack education and opportunity, be in poorer health and die earlier, and have imprisonment statistics that punch FAR beyond their statistical population representation.

The similarities are both staggering and appalling.

On the 'not being white enough' thing, that's always confused me to. Isn't equality being able to act how you'd like, and not have to conform to an accepted type (stereotype, even?). The example that always comes to mind is Wayne Brady from Whose Line Is It Anyway, and the amount of furore there was from the black community over how 'white' he acted, and how he wasn't 'authentic'. It baffled me.

#46 2019

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:55 PM

Because they really aren't.

I'm from FNQ. Black people are treated like human beings, Aboriginals often aren't.

if you can see this, i apologize for the above tweet, i was young and stupid and had nothing of value to say. please support lgbtq rights and listen to women's voices. that's all that really matters now. the right is evil, and should be opposed. thanks.

#47 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 25037 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:27 PM

I don't live in the US, but it's very hard to believe that all the hardships any person might face is entirely because of their own choices.

By that logic an orphan starves because it's their own fault they go hungry, but a kid with rich parents gets enough food because of their own actions, as if parents have nothing to do with a kids' quality of life. (This is an extreme example, yes. But I'm sure other people can come up with less extreme ones.)

Edited by Naas, 21 July 2013 - 11:30 PM.

#48 Tm_Silverclaw

Tm_Silverclaw
  • Citizen
  • 11379 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:46 AM

I'm in a very... interesting case.

I'm about as white as can be... but I've been in -some- *please note I am saying SOME, no where near all the situations* cheats as been in, because of where I lived in Atlanta.

I lived on Memorial drive which was mainly blacks, Hispanics, and a few Asians. I was literally the only white guy in the entire complex, the only white guy who rode the MARTA bus out to that area... and the only one who went to many of the shops in that one.

Now.. for the -most- part.. I didn't have any problems. I was polite and nice to my neighbors and the people at most of the stores.

But one time I was at the Circuit City that closed, and was being followed around the entire time. The guy was pretty much hanging off my back when I picked up a game 2 pack.*Seventh Guest and 11th Hour*, and I asked him, "Sir.. Is there a problem.. Is there a reason you are following me?" And his response, "You gonna steal something." I was confused. "I.. am?" and was like, "Yeah... why else would a white guy come in here."

Needless to say.. I was pissed. I bought my game.. cursed the manager out.. and left.

In my college *Devry* I was one of 20 white guys... but the -only- white guy in my Sociology class... And -every- time the Teacher would talk about black people... He would glare at me. Especially the time he was going on about Felons not being able to vote. And he leaned on my desk and into my face and said "And 60 percent of them are African American... How do -you- feel about that." I was like.. "Uh.. Don't really care. Felons shouldn't be able to vote." and he went on "Oh.. So you don't think black people should vote?"

Even several of my classmates after that class where like, "Dude.. you need to get out of this class now.. I expected him to hit you or something."

So,while not as much, or as bad as Cheets.. I have experienced it.

Now, I think my problem is to many people *of all race* tend to glamorise the... Worst part of the cultures.. For Whites.. it's the white trash like Honey Booboo.

#49 Evil Zoe

Evil Zoe

Social Security is a promise that we cannot and must not break.

• Citizen
  • 12441 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:59 AM

I make it a point to treat everyone the same. I don't move away from people of color or other heritage unless I'm in the way, I am completely open to everyone.

Am I putting myself at risk in some neighborhoods? YES. I've never been attacked but I've lived in extremely bad neighborhoods and been taken advantage of by the mostly black people living there (Galveston). [I was also on drugs]
It was worth it to me. Yeah, I've been stupid in some cases but I've got to tell you, it has to start somewhere, even if the people starting it aren't anybody but other poor people on drugs or whatever.

The thing that carried me through my drug days was my integrity. I've ALWAYS had that, no matter what. I"ve lived and learned but I've never assumed based on stereotype and allowed that to guide me. I've found it gratifying in the end.

It hugging matters how you perceive people and how they perceive you perceiving THEM.

I think that eventually it won't even be a "thing".

Yeah, I'm tipsy right now so I'm extra honest and probably extra *scrubbed*....lol

Edited by Evil Zoe, 22 July 2013 - 02:00 AM.

♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫ Thinking is the best way to travel ♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫

#50 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 21617 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:13 AM

QUOTE(Cheetimus Primal @ Jul 21 2013, 09:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After two days and so many views I can safely say the first four words of this thread are entirely correct. icon-arcee.gif

I didn't actually want to post in this thread because every time I do in this kind of thread I get in trouble, but I've sat on it a couple of days and think I can say a few words now. If I offend anyone, I apologize in advance.

Racism is difficult for me to comprehend. Really difficult. I'm white, with a white family, mostly white friends, and I love in a predominantly white area. However, it's also an area of California more liberal than the rest of the country, so while we are predominantly white demographics, 'black people' are not uncommon nor unexpected. The area I live in is upper middle class, and most black people in this area fall into the middle class range (which means I don't notice any riffraff belonging to any particular race that doesn't match the local demographics). In addition, I was raised to not judge people on the tone of their skin (I do freely admit I judge people by how they dress, but IMO that's a different issue.) Black people are just like other people in my eyes, and in my limited experience, I've never seen any overt racism toward blacks. So it's really difficult for me to actually comprehend racism, because I haven't experienced, or even knowingly witnessed it.

Is that white privlidge, or just where I grew up? I dunno.

But racism is slowly creeping into my life in ways I don't like.

For awhile, my younger brother was dating a women who happened to be of Latino ancestry. My mother confessed to me that she hadn't told my grandparents- either set on either side- about her (or even her name, which was a stereotypically latin name) because she feared their reaction. Apparently, 'you just don't do that' in my grandparents eyes.

And I was kind of shellshocked. My grandparents are the nicest, sweetest people. If I should happen to date someone outside m ethnicity, I really don't want to think about what would happen because while I love them dearly, I'm not about to take that crap from them about someone I really like.

But at the same time, I'm starting to wonder if I'm turning a little racist as well. There's a particular ethnicity I have to deal with at work. A lot. (Not black, but because I don't want to make myself more racist, I'll decline to state). This ethnicity is prone to giving me problems. Maybe it's some sort of cultural divide, but they tend to be rude, don't tip our drivers, demand we bend over backwards for them, and complain at the slightest provocation (IE: There's one particularly troublesome group that when we tell them delivery is between 45 minutes and an hour, will call at exactly 46 minutes and demand a discount. I wish I was kidding.) Repeated experiences with members of this ethnicity cause me to inwardly groan every time I hear their accent on the phone, because they're always trouble.

But that last line is a lie. THey're not always trouble. Most of them are fine and dandy customers just like the rest I deal with on a daily basis. But my experiences with certain repeated issues among them makes me wary (not that I would do any less to serve them or anything like that) when I have to deal with them. Is that racist? I don't know if I'm smart enough to tell.

I don't know if I had a point when I started all that, but I've run out of things to type. So uhh yeah.

ty3jHaa.jpg

#51 2019

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:17 AM

Well if they're foreign they may not do tipping.

if you can see this, i apologize for the above tweet, i was young and stupid and had nothing of value to say. please support lgbtq rights and listen to women's voices. that's all that really matters now. the right is evil, and should be opposed. thanks.

#52 Evil Zoe

Evil Zoe

• Citizen
  • 12441 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:24 AM

QUOTE(Master Fwiffo @ Jul 22 2013, 01:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Cheetimus Primal @ Jul 21 2013, 09:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After two days and so many views I can safely say the first four words of this thread are entirely correct. icon-arcee.gif

I didn't actually want to post in this thread because every time I do in this kind of thread I get in trouble, but I've sat on it a couple of days and think I can say a few words now. If I offend anyone, I apologize in advance.

Racism is difficult for me to comprehend. Really difficult. I'm white, with a white family, mostly white friends, and I love in a predominantly white area. However, it's also an area of California more liberal than the rest of the country, so while we are predominantly white demographics, 'black people' are not uncommon nor unexpected. The area I live in is upper middle class, and most black people in this area fall into the middle class range (which means I don't notice any riffraff belonging to any particular race that doesn't match the local demographics). In addition, I was raised to not judge people on the tone of their skin (I do freely admit I judge people by how they dress, but IMO that's a different issue.) Black people are just like other people in my eyes, and in my limited experience, I've never seen any overt racism toward blacks. So it's really difficult for me to actually comprehend racism, because I haven't experienced, or even knowingly witnessed it.

Is that white privlidge, or just where I grew up? I dunno.

But racism is slowly creeping into my life in ways I don't like.

For awhile, my younger brother was dating a women who happened to be of Latino ancestry. My mother confessed to me that she hadn't told my grandparents- either set on either side- about her (or even her name, which was a stereotypically latin name) because she feared their reaction. Apparently, 'you just don't do that' in my grandparents eyes.

And I was kind of shellshocked. My grandparents are the nicest, sweetest people. If I should happen to date someone outside m ethnicity, I really don't want to think about what would happen because while I love them dearly, I'm not about to take that crap from them about someone I really like.

But at the same time, I'm starting to wonder if I'm turning a little racist as well. There's a particular ethnicity I have to deal with at work. A lot. (Not black, but because I don't want to make myself more racist, I'll decline to state). This ethnicity is prone to giving me problems. Maybe it's some sort of cultural divide, but they tend to be rude, don't tip our drivers, demand we bend over backwards for them, and complain at the slightest provocation (IE: There's one particularly troublesome group that when we tell them delivery is between 45 minutes and an hour, will call at exactly 46 minutes and demand a discount. I wish I was kidding.) Repeated experiences with members of this ethnicity cause me to inwardly groan every time I hear their accent on the phone, because they're always trouble.

But that last line is a lie. THey're not always trouble. Most of them are fine and dandy customers just like the rest I deal with on a daily basis. But my experiences with certain repeated issues among them makes me wary (not that I would do any less to serve them or anything like that) when I have to deal with them. Is that racist? I don't know if I'm smart enough to tell.

I don't know if I had a point when I started all that, but I've run out of things to type. So uhh yeah.

Rude people are just rude. It doesn't matter what race they are.

Provided they're aware of the custom of tipping or whathaveyou, they need to act accordingly, and being put off by such people doesn't mean one is racist merely because they are of a certain race or even tend to be of a certain race.

Education might be in order but you might not be in a position to educate them. From situations such as this, stereotypes are born.

It's not the race, it's the culture. Is there such a thing as culturist? LOL

Edited by Evil Zoe, 22 July 2013 - 03:25 AM.

#53 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Properly Cross

• Supporter
  • 19160 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:39 AM

I've been avoiding P&R recently so this has only just shown up for me. Not wise to debate touchy subjects when one is down, but I can't let this pass.

That said, there's not a lot I can say. I figure anyone who knows me here will know which side I'm on when it comes to prejudice of any kind.

You're right, though, Cheets. Threads like this do make people uncomfortable. But, in a way, that's good... 'cause if we feel uncomfortable then we'll remember it. Makes us think, hopefully.

I dunno, I don't have much to add. It should be bloody obvious, equality. Like so many prejudices, racism is stupid and it carries on in ignorance and through ignorant people.

nzo8WYb.png

#54 Evil Zoe

Evil Zoe

• Citizen
  • 12441 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:42 AM

QUOTE(The Doctor Who @ Jul 22 2013, 01:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been avoiding P&R recently so this has only just shown up for me. Not wise to debate touchy subjects when one is down, but I can't let this pass.

That said, there's not a lot I can say. I figure anyone who knows me here will know which side I'm on when it comes to prejudice of any kind.

You're right, though, Cheets. Threads like this do make people uncomfortable. But, in a way, that's good... 'cause if we feel uncomfortable then we'll remember it. Makes us think, hopefully.

I dunno, I don't have much to add. It should be bloody obvious, equality. Like so many prejudices, racism is stupid and it carries on in ignorance and through ignorant people.

The fact that so many of us actually really CARE what Cheets goes through speaks volumes. It really didn't used to be this way and I'm old enough to remember, even though it didn't come that close to me personally.

#55 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 49671 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:49 AM

First off, thank you Galenraff for bringing up Affirmative Action. I honestly didn't know how to.

QUOTE(Galenraff @ Jul 21 2013, 10:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But you have to understand that it isn't special treatment so much as it's trying to subtly correct a very serious and sensitive inequity in our country. Until minorities, and blacks in particular because of slavery and so many years of oppression ever after that, reach a sort of tipping point after which they are in enough of the institutions in significant numbers that affirmative action isn't necessary anymore. When there's enough women, Latino, black CEOs, or judges, or doctors, or admissions officers, or HR search committees, or police chiefs, or whatever, that the system actually works in a fairer and equitable way, there's a need for it to continue.

Not disagreeing with you, but I do have to ask:

What constitutes "Enough"? Also what about situations like the New York Fire Department, that got into a legal battle over their entrance exams being "unfair to minorities"?

Like I said, I'm not disagreeing with you on Affirmative Action, but when does being inclusive and fair override the need to have people who are qualified and shown they are qualified? I had a coworker recently attempt to become a local firefighter, and despite all the studying he did (on the clock, no less - but I digress) he still flunked out of it. Those tests are designed to be difficult for a reason.

#56 awa64

awa64
  • Citizen
  • 12625 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:24 AM

QUOTE(Rust @ Jul 22 2013, 03:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What constitutes "Enough"? Also what about situations like the New York Fire Department, that got into a legal battle over their entrance exams being "unfair to minorities"?

Like I said, I'm not disagreeing with you on Affirmative Action, but when does being inclusive and fair override the need to have people who are qualified and shown they are qualified? I had a coworker recently attempt to become a local firefighter, and despite all the studying he did (on the clock, no less - but I digress) he still flunked out of it. Those tests are designed to be difficult for a reason.

New York City is 35% White. FDNY is 93% White. There's clearly *something* discriminatory about their hiring practices, and the legal battle was over more than just a single entrance test--it was about the overall recruitment process.

#57 (Deactivated) Smitty

(Deactivated) Smitty
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:30 AM

QUOTE(CORVUS @ Jul 22 2013, 12:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Smitty @ Jul 22 2013, 12:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In the US everyone is afforded the same opportunity,

No, they really, REALLY aren't. What makes you think that this is so?

The US Constitution and various equal right laws, but this also means that one can't really take hold of those opportunities until adulthood. So yeah the starving orphan thing sucks but there are systems in place to try and prevent that.

#58 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Former Staff~

• Retired Staff
  • 23162 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:33 AM

I'm afraid you're being a bit naive my friend, that's just not how the world really works.
<p>Like my art? I do commissions!! -> <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='https://www.allspark...3622784</a></p>

#59 Evil Zoe

Evil Zoe

• Citizen
  • 12441 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:36 AM

There are plenty of ways to discriminate without appearing to violate discrimination laws, especially in right to work states.

#60 D Buster Prime

D Buster Prime

Timeout. Do I convert?

• Retired Staff
  • 26259 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:53 AM

http://m.today.com/n...-new-6C10658002

I could copy and paste a lot of Cheet's experiences for myself. I'll say my own spiel later, but for now, just watch this commercial. It made me cry, because honestly, that's what things were like for me until about fifth grade with my peers. Then, everybody "woke up" and my life with those very same people became hell up through much of high school.

When you watch it, and realize what I had, but lost, for no good reason other than the indoctrination of hateful adults finally breaking through, you'll understand why I cried, and why this video doesn't me as much hope as some might think it should on its surface.

VOTE FOR SIDEWAYS:

He's on your side...except when he isn't!

Z7ACRD0.jpg

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users