Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Kalidor : (21 June 2021 - 04:50 PM)

Not just any girl - your mom!

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 June 2021 - 08:19 AM)

Happy Knocked-Up-A-Girl Day!

@  Bass X0 : (20 June 2021 - 02:13 AM)

Happy father's day!

@  Hot Rod Mustang : (19 June 2021 - 07:45 PM)

what up sluts?

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 June 2021 - 07:20 PM)

Only 6? Filthy casual.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 June 2021 - 04:26 PM)

Multiplaying as in "playing with other people" or multiplaying as in "6 WoW accounts running at the same time"?

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 June 2021 - 01:45 PM)

Oh no! Darkeklaw is multiplaying! (See birthday box)

@  tigerhawk : (19 June 2021 - 11:54 AM)

In my Marvel comic canon the second wave of special teams were handpicked active robots whose experience would theoretically make more stable combiners, the Combaticons came from Cybertron, the Protectobots were imprinted from crystals explaining both Onslauhghts ancestry and First Aid's experience.

@  Dekafox : (18 June 2021 - 05:24 PM)

Spotlight: Lioconvoy?

@  Bass X0 : (18 June 2021 - 04:15 PM)

How long until IDW puts out an Optimus Pride Month comic?

@  Cyoti : (18 June 2021 - 03:32 PM)

Even with B5, it didn't follow its original 5-year plan. Summaries from the supplementary materials for the scriptbooks demonstrates that was originally planned was very different from the actual product. Sinclair's actor's departure seemingly changed the show to the point that the stuff with the Vorlons/Shadows, the Minbari and the ending were all changed. Mapping out a show years in advance is difficult because of changing bts stuff like writers/actors leaving the show or suddenly having to retool because of ratings/execs. No plan survives intact especially in a chaotic environment of television production.

@  Rycochet : (18 June 2021 - 11:27 AM)

To be like Babylon 5, you need to cram a 2 season story arc into one because you fear being cancelled, then get further seasons you have no more material for. You also need a spinoff which the network heads don't want and do everything in their power to kill it while it's on air.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 June 2021 - 10:33 AM)

The required effort is probably why we don't have babylon 6; TNG.

@  Dekafox : (18 June 2021 - 10:23 AM)

Everyone wants to be like Babylon 5 but no one wants to put in the effort

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 09:36 AM)

And then, after five years of hosting their own official podcast where they would answer fan questions and always encouraged their audience to pay attention to the mysteries, after the show had ended, they claimed the show was never really about the mysteries, it was all about the characters.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 09:34 AM)

What really bugs me with "Lost" is that the producers had willfully negotiated a set end date with the network halfway through season 3 (the show ended with season 6, as planned) specifically so they could plan out the plot for the remainder of the show. Then... the plot wasn't resolved properly.

@  tigerhawk : (18 June 2021 - 04:17 AM)

By then I had lost interest in arc TV shows, I followed a few and got the impression they were just making them up as they went along. Seemed to be a trend starting with new Galactica and Lost though in actuality began with The X Files and has become a trope called 'The Chris Carter Effect'.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:12 AM)

I think it was season 3 part 1 specifically, since they had two separate plot "arcs" for season 3.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:11 AM)

They threw everything in there, with no clear story structure, no clear stakes, and characters flip-flopping wherever the episode's writer needed them to go for their half-baked plot.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:10 AM)

Season 3 was the worst, with a terrible meandering random events plot.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 11:59 PM)

'save the cheerleader' then in season 3 he tears her skull open, scans her power and she simply heals. They didn't think any of it through.

@  Shockwave 75 : (17 June 2021 - 07:04 PM)

Well, you know Hollywood; if something's popular, run it into the ground!

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

And then there was the Writers' Strike, which isn't the show's fault.

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

Yeah, Sylar should've been, if not killed off, at least left to rest.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

It never truly recovered from that.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

Season 1 was good until the finale.

@  Paladin : (17 June 2021 - 09:37 AM)

because it sucked.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 08:58 AM)

Heroes was cancelled twice.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 06:33 AM)

The song's official name is "Holding Out for a Hero".

@  PlutoniumBoss : (17 June 2021 - 12:54 AM)

That's a long time to wait for a sandwich.

@  Maruten : (16 June 2021 - 07:13 PM)

Lucky there's a hero arriving in July.

@  Steevy Maximus : (16 June 2021 - 05:38 PM)

I think I've heard "I Need a Hero" more times this past week than I have in the past several years.

@  tigerhawk : (16 June 2021 - 12:41 PM)

Thanks to Earthrise I can recreate the end of Return of Optimus Prime part 1.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 June 2021 - 11:19 AM)

I wish they would do something like that here: but then it would become obvious in which provinces you're getting gouged.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

Here in Germany, the price you see is the price you pay, tax included.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

I always find it weaird hearing that stores in the US don't initially already taxes in their prices.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 04:33 AM)

You know what's kewl? Poor literacy.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 June 2021 - 04:31 PM)

Awesome, thanks for the heads up.

@  CORVUS : (15 June 2021 - 04:12 PM)

Kewl. Thanks!

@  Kalidor : (15 June 2021 - 02:08 PM)

Hey everybody! I wanted to announce that Sarahthecutevixen is our newest addition to the Allspark staff. She's primarily looking over discord stuff, but I wanted to make sure she got a welcome over here as well.

@  NovaSaber : (14 June 2021 - 11:07 AM)

Turn-Bass RPG

@  Sabrblade : (14 June 2021 - 10:21 AM)

Do not X0 quietly into the night.

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 June 2021 - 10:13 AM)

All your Bass are--

@  Donocropolis : (14 June 2021 - 05:56 AM)

*Bass X0 not available in Alaska or Hawaii.

@  Steevy Maximus : (13 June 2021 - 07:36 PM)

Get your own Big Mouth BassX0 for the low price of $19.95 (plusshippingandhandling)

@  repowers : (13 June 2021 - 12:45 PM)

Mr. Speaker, we are for the Bass X0.

@  Nevermore : (13 June 2021 - 06:04 AM)

It's all about that Bass XD.

@  tigerhawk : (13 June 2021 - 02:16 AM)

Will altering the moons orbit in any way help.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (13 June 2021 - 01:51 AM)

Now that you have seen this Bass XO, you must send it to five other Bass XOs or BassXO will come to you in a week and then you too will be BassXO.

@  Telly : (13 June 2021 - 12:08 AM)

or feed him after midnight

Photo

Race

1842 replies to this topic

#21 Strafe

Strafe

Secretary of Balloon Doggies

• Validating
  • 11525 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:56 PM

I just wanna fast forward to the point where fried chicken is no longer used as an insult (a la Sergio Garcia), and instead used as a thing for hugging deliciousness. For everyone. Let's work on taking that back. I like the occasional guilty treat.

I don't have much to add. I have a difficult time talking about these things that exist that alter peoples' perceptions of one another in unfair ways, because I passionately hate that it's not something I can change. Hopes I had of any rifts being mended were eviscerated last weekend. So I'll endure whatever and be the best example that I can, because I don't know what else to do. Any small amount of hate or blame I feel is nothing compared to the struggles that many blacks endure, and I know it. It's easy to go to hate, or anger, or react negatively. It's our nature. If everyone resolved to make real effort to temper themselves, see things objectively, judge people on a case by case basis, it'd be pretty neat. But I have no idea how to instill that in others. So, I'm just gonna swim against the current and keep being me.

#22 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 49671 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE(Strafe @ Jul 21 2013, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just wanna fast forward to the point where fried chicken is no longer used as an insult (a la Sergio Garcia), and instead used as a thing for hugging deliciousness. For everyone. Let's work on taking that back. I like the occasional guilty treat.

I'd like to remark I don't get that either. I can think of far worse meals then Fried Chicken and Watermelon. Honestly, it just makes me hungry for fried chicken and watermelon.

#23 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:29 PM

I don't even like watermelon.

#24 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:58 PM

Racism in my life? Just random stuff off the top of my head.
- I've been called nigger (which still happens if you hang around 4chan topics people start in weird attempts to troll me).
- I've had things thrown at me from moving cars.
- Botcon weekend my friend and I were pulled over because.... well, two black guys driving around San Diego in a nice car is reason enough, right?
- When I smile and nod at people in the street it usually ends up with the white people trying not to make eye contact if not simply walking OFF the side walk entirely.
- I was at Wegmans and my girlfriend and I were paying separately. Che went first and the cashier was SUPER friendly, asking her if she wanted a drink with the food she was buying, asked if she had a Wegman's card and when she didn't she punched in her own number to give my GF a discount anway and sent her on her way with a giant smile. I was next and I barely got eye contact, no offers of a drink, no asking if I had a card or offering a discount and no smile at the end. What the hell? What's so different about.. yeah. My girlfriend is white.
- Speaking of which black women HATE her because she's dating a black guy and we get dirty looks so often that I quickly had to tune it out. I don't know or care at this point how white people look at us. I can't allow myself to care because I might end up in jail after reacting for the millionth time.
- I "talk white". It's a very obnoxious thing said by some black folk when a black man speaks properly. My family has self respect and we speak like we have self respect. This results in an act called "black checking" wherein your blackness is called into question. I've had white friends declare they are blacker than me. I've held it in for 30 years now, just nodding and smiling and going along with it. I'm kinda over that jive.
- I went to a nightclub area with a bunch of friends. Everyone else was either white or a black female. At the entrance I was stopped and told I couldn't come in because my pants were too baggy. I don't wear huge baggy pants. My pants looked no different than anyone else's. I looked them in the eye and said, "Do you hear my voice? I am NOT the kind of guy you are trying to keep out of here!" This went on for a few minutes and they let me in when they noticed the crowd of my 15 friends behind them waiting for me to get in.

There are general behaviors you recognize as you go through life being treated awkwardly. Someone is needlessly curt, you're easily dismissed, people look like they are suddenly more alert when you're around, a bartender won't pay you any mind, cabs will NOT stop for you and if they do they make up fake things like "rain fees" or "night fees" so they can compensate for the tip they assume they aren't going to get.

Like so many others in the world I always have to wonder... "Did that just happen because I'm black?"

#25 Evil Zoe

Evil Zoe

Social Security is a promise that we cannot and must not break.

• Citizen
  • 12441 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:03 PM

QUOTE(Cheetimus Primal @ Jul 21 2013, 02:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Racism in my life? Just random stuff off the top of my head.
- I've been called nigger (which still happens if you hang around 4chan topics people start in weird attempts to troll me).

Like so many others in the world I always have to wonder... "Did that just happen because I'm black?"

LOL! At 4chan I'VE been called @%#&. In fact, almost everyone gets called @%#& and they ALL get called F*g**t.

You usually can't define anything that happens at 4chan as real, for the most part. Anonymous tends to take the most outrageous terms, use them to death and render them useless.

♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫ Thinking is the best way to travel ♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫

#26 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:06 PM

Since Jin was the popular customizer to hate over there they started calling me Nig-Jin.
THe place is nothing but trolls so I don't take it seriously and only know about their antics when links are sent to me... which is far too often.

#27 Evil Zoe

Evil Zoe

Social Security is a promise that we cannot and must not break.

• Citizen
  • 12441 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:14 PM

QUOTE(Cheetimus Primal @ Jul 21 2013, 03:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Since Jin was the popular customizer to hate over there they started calling me Nig-Jin.
THe place is nothing but trolls so I don't take it seriously and only know about their antics when links are sent to me... which is far too often.

It is indeed nothing but trolls...lol

♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫ Thinking is the best way to travel ♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫

#28 Strafe

Strafe

Secretary of Balloon Doggies

• Validating
  • 11525 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:35 PM

QUOTE(Cheetimus Primal @ Jul 21 2013, 04:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I "talk white". It's a very obnoxious thing said by some black folk when a black man speaks properly. My family has self respect and we speak like we have self respect. This results in an act called "black checking" wherein your blackness is called into question.

Yeah, so what's with this? Why can't a person speak correctly, why is that derided?
I hate that I keep using sports as an example, but black man and now ex ESPN analyst Rob Parker called Robert Griffin a "cornball brother". Saying that his demeanor didn't further what he called the black cause, also citing his white fiance and choice in politics. I don't get it.
Why should any of that matter to any person of any race, but why should it matter to other black people?

#29 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:41 PM

Because of the way black culture is seen within black culture.
Why do we have a Black History Month? Because American Black History is special in that a race of people were brought here and any connection they had to their ways and culture were obliterated. Unlike most other cultures in the world Black History is only as old as America itself. Even decedents of the Maya have a stronger link to their past and original heritage.
So we don't have a long history or a lot of culture to build upon compared to others so that culture is held VERY close to heart and cherished and held above everything else. That is built into the culture so when someone looks like an outsider it's viewed as a bad thing by many.

At least that is how I interpret it.

#30 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 49671 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:38 PM

That's...mind boggling. Not the reasoning, I get that...but to be ostracized simply because you speak properly...

Actually no. I kind of get that. The Redneck "subculture" (and I use the term loosely) prides itself on poor grammar and sentence structure as well. It's still baffling to me though, how people can take pride in sounding like idiots.

Edited by Rust, 21 July 2013 - 06:38 PM.

#31 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:41 PM

It's not everyone and, as you grow older, you deal with it a LOT less.

#32 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 49671 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:43 PM

Ah, so it's got an advantage over Redneck slang, which only grows more frequent and far more obstinate the older you get.

#33 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:46 PM

I think it has more to do with who I surround myself with.

#34 newsy891

newsy891

Theater Dork in Residence

• Retired Staff
  • 9677 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:51 PM

Part 1: From my experience, it seems like there's a difference between the overt racism targeted at black men and that targeted at black women. I've heard black single moms labeled "welfare queens" and heard disparaging things about black women for their appearance and their names, and I know of both women and men being tailed in stores and pulled over for driving while black, but I don't generally hear a black woman called n***** or labeled violent at first sight; those are things I've seen happen to black men more often. Is my experience/observation common to others?

===

Part 2: Here's a question I've been trying to figure out how to ask without sounding stupid and/or horrible, and it's turned into an old-school-Newsy-style crazy long wordy thing. Can we talk about affirmative action? Is it something that's helping to make positive change, or is it something that's deepening the racial divide, or both, or something in between, or something else entirely...?

On one side I understand the need for it - I can see people making hire/fire decisions who would hire only "their own kind" (not only in terms of race, but in terms of gender, age, disability, etc) if it were left entirely up to them. When I was in college, I was told flat-out that the only reason I was offered a fantastic internship was because they were in trouble with the EEOC for not having enough women around; I honestly don't know how much has changed and how many places would end up with a diverse workforce without external compulsion.

On the other side, I understand how a white person with all the qualifications for a job, or the grades and potential to make the most of an internship or a college admission, might be resentful and blame "the race card" if they were rejected in favor of someone of a different race. I can understand that white person wondering whether they were being punished for being white, or just plain assuming that's the case and getting angry.

So... not sure where I stand on it myself, only that I can see (at least) two sides to it and that I need to be more educated on all sides of it before I really figure out what my opinion is. Just something to get a dialogue going, I guess, in the spirit of the OP.

More fanfic at Offscreen Fics - random archived bits of Transformers fic, with a side of Doctor Who
Sig and avatar art by Shum

RIP, Kevin "SolFire" Russell.
There is help, there is hope. Call 1-800-273-TALK (8255) in the US, or e-mail jo (at) samaritans (dot) org worldwide.

#35 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:01 PM

Affirmative Action is super tricky because it has some pretty good advantages and some pretty bad disadvantages. I don't weigh in on it myself because I don't have a fully realized opinion on it.

#36 newsy891

newsy891

Theater Dork in Residence

• Retired Staff
  • 9677 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:18 PM

QUOTE(Cheetimus Primal @ Jul 21 2013, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Affirmative Action is super tricky because it has some pretty good advantages and some pretty bad disadvantages. I don't weigh in on it myself because I don't have a fully realized opinion on it.

Partially realized opinions are acceptable icon-hotrod.gif Seriously, I would like to hear your take (and lots of other people's in this thread, too) on the advantages and disadvantages, because maybe the more I hear about others' views, even the not-fully-realized views, the closer I can get to sorting out my own. I really just want to load up on information and perspectives.

More fanfic at Offscreen Fics - random archived bits of Transformers fic, with a side of Doctor Who
Sig and avatar art by Shum

RIP, Kevin "SolFire" Russell.
There is help, there is hope. Call 1-800-273-TALK (8255) in the US, or e-mail jo (at) samaritans (dot) org worldwide.

#37 Whirl

Whirl
  • Citizen
  • 25403 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:23 PM

QUOTE(Rust @ Jul 21 2013, 01:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I haven't replied because I can't really think of anything to say. My regional demographics put me pretty much in the center of a loaf of white bread.

South Florida's kinda mixed. Generally, the closer you are to Miami, the more mixed the demographics are.

D&D has to report to shareholders. Pathfinder only has to impress its neckbeards.

#38 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:25 PM

QUOTE(newsy891 @ Jul 21 2013, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Cheetimus Primal @ Jul 21 2013, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Partially realized opinions are acceptable icon-hotrod.gif Seriously, I would like to hear your take (and lots of other people's in this thread, too) on the advantages and disadvantages, because maybe the more I hear about others' views, even the not-fully-realized views, the closer I can get to sorting out my own. I really just want to load up on information and perspectives.

I'm not really sure what to think of them is the problem. Sure, they resolve some issues but they also cause issues. I have nothing new to add, honestly.

#39 2019

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:27 PM

- I've been called @%#& (which still happens if you hang around 4chan topics people start in weird attempts to troll me).

Hahaha! I remember those! The topics were hilarious. You had some guys going "I like these customs", some other guys going "I don't like these custom" and this one dude who was all "AAAA BLACK PERSON".

At any rate I've been a victim of racism. I got bullied by white people for being too asian and bullied by asians for being too white. It's not fun.

Aboriginal Australians are treated very differently than black Americans though.

if you can see this, i apologize for the above tweet, i was young and stupid and had nothing of value to say. please support lgbtq rights and listen to women's voices. that's all that really matters now. the right is evil, and should be opposed. thanks.

#40 Rhinox

Rhinox

Yeah, I'm kind of pissy.

• Supporter
  • 14693 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:37 PM

I'd like to quote the philosopher Christopher Titus at this time. "I'm whitey and I apologize."

I'm a large man with long hair who used to have a penchant for wearing all black and carrying a lot of weapons. I look back on how I was treated, given the image I presented and it galls me to think that black men who dress well, speak well, and are decent upstanding citizens are treated the same simply because of their skin color. I brought a ton of jive on myself with my attitude and the image I presented. Black men don't have to do anything to be treated with suspicion and thinly veiled contempt.

I want to say this, knowing that it's very harsh, but I don't know how else to say it or if anyone else thinks the same, so bear with me. Is anyone else really looking forward to when this older generation finally dies off so their racism and bigotry dies with them? I mean, I know it's been passed on in a lot of cases, but living in Kansas I am surrounded by old white people who don't need a reason to treat blacks like jive. My coworker and friend, Ramon, is still referred to as "that colored boy" in Marysville, KS. He's been driving their mail there, banking there, even bought a house there for over a decade. Everyone knows him and the trucks we drive. I get polite nods and the ol 1 finger off the steering wheel howdy. He gets the bird and called colored boy.
I know that the younger people are not nearly as racist as the elders. I myself am not racist and in general prefer the company of black people simply because I don't want to listen to the old white jive anymore. I know I'm not the only one of my generation like that and I feel there are more of us then there are of those who inherited their parent's hate. Will the older generation dying solve the problem, certainly not, but to me I can't think it'd hurt. Am I wrong in thinking that?

"Why does history repeat itself? Because God doesn't have TiVo."

Wounds of honor are always self inflicted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users