Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 October 2018 - 01:58 PM)

Benbot, I was streaming the PS4 version of Starlink

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (20 October 2018 - 01:25 PM)

Ergo their reporting will have its own slant on the facts as they choose, not the most neutral way possible.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (20 October 2018 - 01:24 PM)

I find it sad to realize that the prestigious New York Times which I trusted a lot as a kid in fact has its own editorial agenda.

@  Nevermore : (20 October 2018 - 01:20 PM)

The end result is NOT that stupid bullshit gets equal coverage as reasonable arguments. That would be problematic in itself (the "false balance" bias), but the provlem is that the controversial stupid bullshit gets MORE coverage than the reasonable arguments.

@  Nevermore : (20 October 2018 - 01:17 PM)

The media doesn't want to miss the opportunity to report on a controversy, and as a consequence makes sure that the controversial statements reach an audience.

@  Nevermore : (20 October 2018 - 01:17 PM)

Because they realized that saying controversial shit is guaranteed to get coverage.

@  Nevermore : (20 October 2018 - 01:16 PM)

It's the same here in Germany. Our right-wing moron party is still a political minority, yet they succeed in driving the topics the media keeps reporting.

@  Nevermore : (20 October 2018 - 01:15 PM)

The main problem was that Trump was banking on controversy, and the media was reporting controversy because it gave them ratings.

@  Nevermore : (20 October 2018 - 01:15 PM)

"Fairness" was not the media's main problem.

@  wonko the sane? : (20 October 2018 - 11:40 AM)

Holy fish! Second life is still a thing?!?!

@  Benbot : (20 October 2018 - 08:32 AM)

What were you streaming, Silverclaw?

@  Shrug : (20 October 2018 - 05:28 AM)

Russian interference should have been fighting an uphill battle, but as far as I'm concerned we gave them a head start.

@  Shrug : (20 October 2018 - 05:23 AM)

I disagree with Hillary being a good choice to run against Trump. Plenty of mixed feelings about her long before 2016 within our own party. When the DNC has to rig it's own primaries to get their chosen candidate running, maybe you shouldn't expect an easy landslide at the actual election.

@  Pennpenn : (20 October 2018 - 05:20 AM)

It would have also helped if the US was also an actualy democracy where the candidate who gets the most votes wins, but hey.

@  Rycochet : (20 October 2018 - 04:42 AM)

You helped destroy western democracy, but hey, at least no-one can accuse you of bias... Oh wait, they did, still do, and are going to keep doing so as long as you report facts.

@  Rycochet : (20 October 2018 - 04:39 AM)

Hillary was a good choice to run against Trump, the big problem was the media crawling all over themselves to try and push the idea of fairness, and threw her under the bus to do so. Any hint of impropriety was treated as being exactly the same as actual proven criminal acts by Trump in order to avoid being seen as biased... and at the end of it all, he turned around and bit them for doing so because that's who he is.

@  Nevermore : (20 October 2018 - 03:37 AM)

Many right-wingers are using its name as part of our version of the term "libtards": "Left-green filthy".

@  Nevermore : (20 October 2018 - 03:35 AM)

It's the only of the "established" parties (it's almost 40 years old at this point) that has remained true to its principles.

@  Nevermore : (20 October 2018 - 03:34 AM)

Meanwhile, some uplifting news from Germany: While our big parties are rapidly losing voters, and our new "we're not really extreme" right-wing party is gaining voters, there is one other party that is scoring massive points, both in polls and the recent Bavarian state election: The Green Party.

@  Nevermore : (20 October 2018 - 03:33 AM)

I still think having Hillary run against Drumpf was a bad choice.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 October 2018 - 03:32 AM)

Well on the bright side, we know more people voted for HIllary than the cheeto.

@  Nevermore : (20 October 2018 - 03:31 AM)

I guess many a prepper might have also voted for the person most likely to bring about the end of society they are waiting for.

@  Nevermore : (20 October 2018 - 03:28 AM)

Now let that sink in, and then think about how many people voted for Agent Orange.

@  Nevermore : (20 October 2018 - 03:27 AM)

Elected officials often represent how the voters either view themselves, or how they would like to be.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 October 2018 - 12:21 AM)

Well I had 8 people watching my stream at one time tonight.. I call that a success...

@  Telly : (19 October 2018 - 11:08 PM)

@  MEDdMI : (19 October 2018 - 10:02 PM)

Unless it's the main cast of Persona 5.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 October 2018 - 10:02 PM)

I realize there is a certain irony in my vocabulary selection there.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 October 2018 - 10:01 PM)

People who admire public thieves and tricksters are.....sad.

@  Pennpenn : (19 October 2018 - 07:04 PM)

Ah damn it, need to go get some new headphones.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 October 2018 - 06:21 PM)

Power was out for most of the day, and now a boil water advisory. Been a great day so far...

@  Nevermore : (19 October 2018 - 05:31 PM)

Bottom line, he reminds them alternatively of all the con men they grew up with watching on television (i.e. televangelists) or their favorite character from the Bible (i.e. Old Testament God).

@  Nevermore : (19 October 2018 - 05:30 PM)

Bill Maher gave an excellent explanation for why the Religious Right loves Trump so much.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 October 2018 - 05:02 PM)

"NOOOO said the man in washington! It's belongs to the poor!"... oh boy was he wrong.

@  Paladin : (19 October 2018 - 04:34 PM)

see also Andrew Ryan

@  RichardT1977 : (19 October 2018 - 03:18 PM)

Also, "Big Father" has almost all the benefits of "Big Brother", but with none of the drawbacks.

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 October 2018 - 02:22 PM)

I'd go with "moron", personally.

@  Pennpenn : (19 October 2018 - 10:02 AM)

Why not both?

@  Benbot : (19 October 2018 - 09:56 AM)

I think she was a psychopath.

@  Echowarrior : (19 October 2018 - 09:50 AM)

Ayn Rand was a pretentious bitch.

@  Noideaforaname : (19 October 2018 - 09:31 AM)

But Sven makes way more sense now

@  Noideaforaname : (19 October 2018 - 09:30 AM)

Man, watching the original Voltron cartoon for the first time is so weird after having only seen the Netflix reboot.

@  D.M : (19 October 2018 - 09:09 AM)

+They don't really give a crap about God. All their religious talk is just part of the mask. They wanna look like the ideal citizen (what they consider that to be) - the most Christian of all Christians, the most patriotic of all patriots, etc.

@  Pennpenn : (19 October 2018 - 08:13 AM)

That's because she was also greedy, heartless, and despised the poor, which is something the right often loves more than God.

@  RichardT1977 : (19 October 2018 - 07:55 AM)

I find it rather amusing that the party of the Religious Right sees wisdom in a woman who hated the notion of God almost as much as she hated and feared the idea of being part of a family.

@  Nevermore : (19 October 2018 - 05:39 AM)

However, another big issue is cultural differences. We do have a sense of humor, it's just different than in other cultures because it is a product of a different culture. Simply put, what you might find incredibly funny is considered unfunny by Germans... and vice versa.

@  Nevermore : (19 October 2018 - 05:38 AM)

It's actually a multi-faceted issue. Yes, some Germans are incredibly devoid of humor, although those people exist in other countries too. I have no ideas regarding statistics, but these people exist.

@  Nevermore : (19 October 2018 - 05:37 AM)

So, about this long-standing stereotype that "Germans have no sense of humor"...

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 October 2018 - 03:49 AM)

I got enough Rand fighting my way through the Sword of Truth series. I can't imagine trying to read the original work.

@  Pennpenn : (19 October 2018 - 02:39 AM)

All the people who like Rand should go live in a big underwater city. I cannot foresee anything that could go wrong with such a scenario.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The Fnu Draw Thread

rpg

3910 replies to this topic

#1 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 35885 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:17 AM

I have clearly lost my mind. I always hated drawing. Hated it. I never could do it to save my life, and I have had no practice in about ten years.

Out of nowhere, two days ago my right brain started screaming "Draw!" at me. This morning I picked up a pencil and sketched for about 30 minutes.

sketch.png

I've already learned one thing; don't start with a sitting pose.

Where do I go from here?

Edited by Fnu Aw, 14 March 2016 - 11:09 PM.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#2 MyLittleEmpath

MyLittleEmpath

Don't worry. Ponies will make it all better.

• Supporter
  • 1428 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:37 AM

I have two pieces of advice.
1) Don't stop.
2) No, really, Don't stop.

The only reason I can draw worth a darn is that I've been drawing my whole life--the only real way to be good at it is to keep doing it until you are.

Now as for your OC there, you're quite right--if you haven't drawn much pony, then starting with a sitting pose is not a good idea. The face looks like you're trying to ape LoCeri's style, which is actually not a bad idea, borrowing someone else's style until you have found one of your own. If you want tips and tricks, I got a million of 'em, for instance, when a pony sits down in that position, there is no space between the forelegs. Aside from that, you've actually done pretty well, just eliminate the space between the legs and you should have a pretty decent start. Hope this helps!
FREE CUSTOM PONIES!!
Just PM me whatever specifications you want.

#3 Sailor Unicron

Sailor Unicron
  • Citizen
  • 3551 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:46 AM

One thing I'd recommend is finding screencaps or vectors that other people have done to help with posing.

The FiM Wiki has a pretty extensive screencap gallery, sorted by both episode and character, and this site has some good screencaps as well. If you type 'sitting' in the search box, it'll bring up some caps of ponies sitting.

Vector wise, I can't recommend the MLP Vector Club enough. It's a great resource that I use quite a lot.

Edited by Sailor Unicron, 12 July 2013 - 11:47 AM.

You are more than flesh and bone / Can't you see, you're something beautiful...you gotta believe that you are / Someone worth dying for

God's not dead!

In 1996: "TRUKK NOT MUNKEY!"; In 2013: "PONEE NOT HUGHMAN!"; in 2014: "TREE NOT CASSUL"; Regardless of the fandom, it all boils down to one thing: "RUINED FOREVA!"

DA account

I got my counter at Jellyneo.net! NaNoWriMo is GO!

#4 Pocket

Pocket
  • Citizen
  • 3931 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:15 PM

There's a pretty extensive ongoing thread over on the Round Stable's forum about drawing poni. Anything I could tell you would just be copypasted from that.

If you ever somehow become a Catholic saint, be aware that they will harvest your bones and build altars around them.

#5 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 35885 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:49 PM

That joint guide in the Round Stable is just what I need. O.O I will definitely be using a reference next time. I was winging it here, and it shows.

I am definitely going to give this another shot.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#6 (Deactivated) Sobana

(Deactivated) Sobana
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:57 PM

That is pretty good. Do you take commissions yet? =3

#7 Caldwin

Caldwin

Untouchable

• Supporter
  • 23131 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:00 PM

QUOTE(Sobana @ Jul 12 2013, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That is pretty good. Do you take commissions yet? =3

Now Sobana, you heard him say he hates drawing. Don't egg him on to do something that he doesn't want.

So, Fnu...when are you going to do a winged Twilight? You are going to be doing a Winged Twilight...right?
PSN = Caldwin
Wii U = Caldwin
Switch = SW-7457-8143-2029
3DS = 5370-0412-9068

#8 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 35885 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:04 PM

I don't foresee ever getting to that point. I already don't have any time for my main outlet, which is writing. I don't even know why I feel like doing this all of a sudden.

QUOTE(Caldwin @ Jul 12 2013, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, Fnu...when are you going to do a winged Twilight? You are going to be doing a Winged Twilight...right?

I'll be drawing wings at some point. Eventually, I think. But not Twilight.

Edited by Fnu Aw, 12 July 2013 - 10:06 PM.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#9 TM2 Dinobot

TM2 Dinobot

Wha?

• Citizen
  • 4643 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:33 PM

I have no artistic skills what-so-ever. Sorry. :/

#10 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 35885 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:35 AM

Neither do I.

I'm not sure when I'll get another chance. Maybe Monday.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#11 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 40123 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:20 PM

All drawing is basically connecting unrelated geometric shapes into a image. Keep practising, understand that you will be erasing ALOT (I mean it, seriously.) and if you are intent, go hit up a book store's children section to see if you can get a book intended for young children to help them start drawing.

No, I cannot draw a lick beyond very basic technical drawings. But perseverance counts, as well as knowing that it takes YEARS to make something that most would consider "good".

I still have a sonic the hedgehog "how to draw" book I got in elementary school from scholastic. I only ever used it to draw like 3 times, but It's a good primer.

#12 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Girl Whomst Love Girls

• Staff
  • 21942 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:32 PM

If you need any help putting together a pose, I'd be happy to assist. I may not be very technically skilled but I have some talent.

Or at least I like to think I do! icon-waspy.gif

Like my art? I do commissions!! -> https://www.allspark...

#13 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 35885 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:44 PM

Found 30 minutes today. Just a simple head sketch this time.

sketch_2.jpg

Whatever style I ultimately develop is certainly going to be off-model. The show muzzles are just too short.

Also, because I am a shameless cheater, this guy is going to have a completely asymmetrical type mane that will never need to be drawn the same way twice.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#14 Caldwin

Caldwin

Untouchable

• Supporter
  • 23131 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:28 PM

QUOTE(Fnu Aw @ Jul 13 2013, 12:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Found 30 minutes today. Just a simple head sketch this time.

sketch_2.jpg

Whatever style I ultimately develop is certainly going to be off-model. The show muzzles are just too short.

Also, because I am a shameless cheater, this guy is going to have a completely asymmetrical type mane that will never need to be drawn the same way twice.

Actually, the muzzle is much better on this one than the first. In fact, not doing a side-by-side comparison or anything, but that actually looks pretty darn close to how the male ponies look in the toon I think. And for goodness sakes...you've seen my Twilight pic right? Absolutely horrid. Never doing ponies again. You're doing good.
PSN = Caldwin
Wii U = Caldwin
3DS = 5370-0412-9068

#15 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Girl Whomst Love Girls

• Staff
  • 21942 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:48 PM

I like how horse-y the profile view looks.

Like my art? I do commissions!! -> https://www.allspark...

#16 MyLittleEmpath

MyLittleEmpath

Don't worry. Ponies will make it all better.

• Supporter
  • 1428 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:22 PM

QUOTE(Fnu Aw @ Jul 13 2013, 10:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would actually advise against that. Using the mane shape as a constant factor tends to make drawing the same pony more than once a much easier task. After the first few tries, once you get the mane shape down, drawing it again is mostly done without thought. Also, mane shape helps the viewer to recognize the pony in question.

As for quality, I have a dirty little secret to share with you: Keep believing your work is bad, but use that as a reason to try again. People will tell you your work is good, but you have to keep believing that you can do better; after a certain point, that's the only way to progress as an artist.

Edited by MyLittleEmpath, 13 July 2013 - 02:23 PM.

FREE CUSTOM PONIES!!
Just PM me whatever specifications you want.

#17 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 17034 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:02 PM

QUOTE(MyLittleEmpath @ Jul 13 2013, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As for quality, I have a dirty little secret to share with you: Keep believing your work is bad, but use that as a reason to try again. People will tell you your work is good, but you have to keep believing that you can do better; after a certain point, that's the only way to progress as an artist.

Wholeheartedly agree with the latter but slightly disagree with the first. Believing personal skill is bad is one of my creative roadblocks that prevents me from getting anything done.
Spoiler

#18 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 35885 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:04 PM

I appreciate all the encouragement. I'm pleased with how today's sketch came out. I just have to accept that these need to be simple, for now.

Today I've learned that erasing is good. Getting it wrong is not a mistake. Getting it wrong is a step.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#19 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 40123 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:54 PM

You've got the right attitude anyway. That's always a plus.

#20 Caldwin

Caldwin

Untouchable

• Supporter
  • 23131 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:25 PM

Yeah, if you're not erasing, you're doing it wrong.
PSN = Caldwin
Wii U = Caldwin
3DS = 5370-0412-9068

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users