Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Nevermore : (20 January 2019 - 07:52 AM)

The recent ongoing series didn't start until what, 2013?

@  Nevermore : (20 January 2019 - 07:51 AM)

Then was continued as a five-issue mini-series ("Local Heroes"), then came a 16-issue maxi-series ("The Dark Age"), plus a couple of standalone specials and two-parters...

@  Nevermore : (20 January 2019 - 07:50 AM)

It started out as a series, but due to Busiek's health problems (?), it was put on hold after six issues, then got relaunched with a new #1, had several delays (again because of Busiek's health issues), was discontinued after #22...

@  Nevermore : (20 January 2019 - 07:49 AM)

I don't get why people are making such a big deal out of Astro City becoming a series of graphic novels now. I mean, it's not like it's always been a steady ongoing series.

@  Nevermore : (17 January 2019 - 08:19 PM)

I'm also only reading the trades. So I'm still missing... two volumes that are currently only available as hardcovers? Three?

@  Trpodeca : (17 January 2019 - 06:22 PM)

Astro City is great. Since I only read the trades, there probably won't be a big change for me.

@  ZakuConvoy : (17 January 2019 - 05:34 PM)

I have. Great series. Hopefully the transition to OGNs will be a smooth one.

@  Nevermore : (17 January 2019 - 07:20 AM)

Anyone here reading Kurt Busiek's Astro City?

@  Verity Carlo : (16 January 2019 - 01:12 PM)

https://sites.google...ations---part-1awwwww shit

@  Benbot : (16 January 2019 - 12:36 PM)

Remember the Noid? He steals pizzas!

@  Steevy Maximus : (16 January 2019 - 10:47 AM)

That said, the old "Nester" character from Nintendo Power IS owned by Nintendo, and I could see a homage in there

@  Steevy Maximus : (16 January 2019 - 10:46 AM)

Because technically DiC created the character, Nintendo does not own him.

@  Paladin : (16 January 2019 - 10:28 AM)

sidebar- why is "Captain N" not in Smash yet? that seems like such an easy option.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 January 2019 - 09:18 AM)

The 90's mario cartoons had exactly three character aspects to work with: fat, italian and plumber. He wasn't exactly wrenching pipes in every episode, so they had to do something...

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 January 2019 - 07:31 AM)

It's in another castle.

@  unluckiness : (16 January 2019 - 06:24 AM)

i HOpE sHe mADe LotSA SPAGHETTI

@  Locoman : (16 January 2019 - 06:17 AM)

Mario, wherever you are, HEEEEEEEELP!

@  unluckiness : (16 January 2019 - 06:07 AM)

That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario *wheeze*

@  Pennpenn : (16 January 2019 - 02:24 AM)

It's too hot here.

@  Echowarrior : (15 January 2019 - 11:03 PM)

I liked the Super Mario Brothers Super Show the best myself.

@  Sabrblade : (15 January 2019 - 10:35 PM)

There's always the three Mario cartoons DiC made back in the 80s.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 09:48 PM)

So they could make a show that everyone would scream was an adventure time knockoff? I get what you're saying, but I can't see it being well received.

@  Sean Whitmore : (15 January 2019 - 08:47 PM)

The fact that Adventure Time was on the air for 8 years and at no point did Nintendo hand the creators a large sack of money and say, "Please make a Mario thing for us" will forever anger me.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 07:03 PM)

There was so much awesome put into design and conception of the super mario bros. movie, and it didn't even need the branding: but it wouldn't have made it to the screen without the branding.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 January 2019 - 06:56 PM)

Many aspects of it have stuck in my memory, though. The boots, the devolution ray, the aesthetic of the dinosaur city

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 January 2019 - 06:55 PM)

I had no idea there was another Mario Bros. movie coming out, though. Doubt it'll top the first one, it was just so bizarre

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 January 2019 - 06:55 PM)

They already act a bit like minions; they just aren't stupid

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 05:35 PM)

The trouble is: I honestly can't decide if making them minions would be better or worse than the continuously shrill voices they've used for the last 20 years.

@  Paladin : (15 January 2019 - 05:27 PM)

hope everyone's ready for Toads to look, act & sound like the Minions forever...

@  Lancer : (15 January 2019 - 04:54 PM)

I mean, considering Illumination is making the new Mario movie, Super Mario Bros. 1993 won't be the worst Mario movie anymore

@  Sabrblade : (15 January 2019 - 04:36 PM)

"Sir, your pizza's here." "Not now!"

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 04:28 PM)

Actually, yeah. I think I need to watch it again. Great movie.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (15 January 2019 - 03:44 PM)

It's a fun movie with amazing sets. As long as you don't try to connect it to anything else Mario, it's fine.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 January 2019 - 03:38 PM)

Damn, I haven't thought about the Super Mario Bros. feature film in forever. Need to watch it again, soon; I can only imagine it gets better with time.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 January 2019 - 03:21 PM)

Re:Zero is a fantastic series.

@  ▲ndrusi : (15 January 2019 - 03:10 PM)

Yeah it's not a bad concept, it's just that lately the term is associated with "I, a Loser Everyman, Woke Up In a Generic Fantasy Setting Where I'm Super Special So Now Girls Orbit Me"

@  Sabrblade : (15 January 2019 - 12:59 PM)

So too is the old Super Mario Bros movie

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 12:28 PM)

I went and looked up the term "isekai"... that's not actually as bad as I thought it was going to be.

@  ▲ndrusi : (15 January 2019 - 12:19 PM)

I'm not sure, but the cartoon segments of The Super Mario Bros. Super Show are.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (15 January 2019 - 12:12 PM)

Wait. A. Minute. Is Blaster Master an isekai?

@  MEDdMI : (15 January 2019 - 08:49 AM)

*Dragon Slave*

@  Xellos : (15 January 2019 - 06:22 AM)

I used to use a pic like that as my avatar for years, but that... is a secret.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (15 January 2019 - 02:07 AM)

Is Flatland an isekai?

@  MEDdMI : (14 January 2019 - 11:16 PM)

@Xellos Every time I see you post, I picture Xellos' infuriating smug grin and finger waggling with the "sore wa hi*mi*tsu*desu <3"

@  Waspinator : (14 January 2019 - 09:50 PM)

The Last Starfighter is also one of those

@  Cybersnark : (14 January 2019 - 09:28 PM)

Astronaut gets shot through a wornhole and ends up on a living starship full of escaped alien prisoners.

@  Cybersnark : (14 January 2019 - 09:28 PM)

I realized a few months ago that Farscape is a sci-fi-based Isekai.

@  Sabrblade : (14 January 2019 - 09:03 PM)

The Thor movies and Enchanted, as well.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (14 January 2019 - 08:45 PM)

@xellos We get to many of those in Hollywood movies.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 January 2019 - 08:13 PM)

Re:Creators!

Photo

XBOX ONE

2392 replies to this topic

#21 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 34856 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:10 PM

That was a terrible press conference.

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

#22 2019

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:14 PM

QUOTE(Razorsaw @ May 22 2013, 04:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually I think it was pretty good for the dudebros and families, it's a handy piece of kit for people who like TV and sports. Microsoft knows who to sell to.

It definitely wasn't as good for gamers, but we'll see what happens at E3

PM me if you're bored!

#23 Corgsopal

Corgsopal

Hanging 'round amorphous mounds

• Supporter
  • 5736 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:15 PM

Re: backwards compatibility. It's a blu-ray drive. Would that be able to read the proprietary 360 games with a secondary laser speed (or whatever it is) the way blu-ray players read DVDs?
Reclaim the suffix.

#24 SilverFirePrime

SilverFirePrime

And one more for Jenny and the Wimp

• Citizen
  • 3892 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Until there's confirmation/denial about all the DRM and always online hubbub, I will stay undecided but leaning heavily towards SOny

When you find yourself standing on the brink of surrender, know that many in the past faced trials such as your own, but overcame them with their great conviction.
No matter the greatness of your desperation, the failures of your efforts, or the injustice of your treatment, at least a few men have stared into the same challenges and emerged victorious from these tests.
Such men are not only a great source of inspiration, but also the very foundation upon which modern society rests.

From lyric booklet of 'Starfall' by Dragonland

The mind. It boggles.
QUOTE(Alvatron!)
...what's a comicon without a roomful of drunken comic geeks singing showtunes to DDR?

#25 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4295 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

While I find the new media initiatives interesting...my Xbox experience has been horrifically curtailed by the poor state of the US internet infrastructure. I can't do Xbox Live NOW (aside from game/content downloads) because my wireless access (less than a a room apart) isn't adequate for the broadband needs. So I'm not sure those nifty new online features are going to matter at all to me if I can't actually USE those features in the CURRENT device.

For being "by gamers, for gamers", I saw NOTHING to get me excited as a gamer: No dramatically new concepts, and aside from CoD, none of the games really showed "real gameplay". It's easy to take a game engine and a nifty trailer, but I want to know how the game will ACTUALLY play. And "15 exclusives, half of which are new franchises" is a great soundbyte...it does nothing to excite me.

It was pretty much what I expected, and I was frankly more excited for PS4 after the reveal than I have for XboxOne (stupid name, IMO).

#26 Corgsopal

Corgsopal

• Supporter
  • 5736 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:17 PM

QUOTE(SilverFirePrime @ May 21 2013, 12:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Until there's confirmation/denial about all the DRM and always online hubbub, I will stay undecided but leaning heavily towards SOny

They said all your content, games, movies, music and saves, is stored in your Xbox Live account and those are now cloud powered, so unless you can also store to the device itself that's your "always online" confirmation.
Reclaim the suffix.

#27 Darkstream

Darkstream

The original darkstream since 2003!

• Supporter
  • 20494 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:19 PM

This will be great for my wife and the kids, So there is that. The Onboard Capturecard with editor is balls..Always wanted one of those. Long as i can go back and get Sesame street Kinect or something from the 360 and play it on this i will be ok with it.
Still ugly and dumb name ( even though i get the name ). I would have prefered Xbox paper plate over this.

#28 2019

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:20 PM

QUOTE(corgsopal @ May 22 2013, 04:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They said all your content, games, movies, music and saves, is stored in your Xbox Live account and those are now cloud powered, so unless you can also store to the device itself that's your "always online" confirmation.

And what of the persistent rumors that Xbox One games will be ?always online? ? that is, that single-player games would require a constant online connection to function? As it turns out, those rumors were not unfounded, but the reality is not so draconian. Xbox One will give game developers the ability to create games that use Microsoft?s Azure cloud computing service, which means that they might be able to offload certain computing tasks to the cloud rather than process them on the Xbox One hardware itself. This would necessitate the game requiring a connection.

Are developers forced to create games that have these online features, and are thus not playable offline? They are not, Xbox exec Whitten said to Wired ? but ?I hope they do.? So the always-online future may come in incremental steps.

Link

PM me if you're bored!

#29 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 34856 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:21 PM

QUOTE(Nyarlathotep @ May 21 2013, 06:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually I think it was pretty good for the dudebros and families, it's a handy piece of kit for people who like TV and sports. Microsoft knows who to sell to.

They shouldn't be saving that for E3. They should be showing it to us now.

First impressions are the best ones, after all.

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

#30 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4295 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:21 PM

QUOTE(corgsopal @ May 21 2013, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Robbie Bach DID say that it wasn't always on, that you could play the system without internet access..you obviously won't have access to the multiplayer and streaming features.

The thing has a 500 GB HD as standard, at least SOME of the content is probably getting stored on the device.

Also, I AM liking some of the ergonomic changes to the controller, looks a tad smaller, more like the old Xbox Controller S.

#31 2019

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

QUOTE(Razorsaw @ May 22 2013, 04:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They're the best impressions for the average joe superbowl.

PM me if you're bored!

#32 Corgsopal

Corgsopal

• Supporter
  • 5736 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:25 PM

Fantasy football YEAHHHH!!
Reclaim the suffix.

#33 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 34856 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:26 PM

QUOTE(Nyarlathotep @ May 21 2013, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Razorsaw @ May 22 2013, 04:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They're the best impressions for the average joe superbowl.

and they could have done that without alienating the other high percentage of the gaming community.

EDIT - and wow, yeah, they're totally blocking used games with that. Wow. That is NOT COOL by any stretch of the imagination.

Edited by Razorsaw, 21 May 2013 - 01:27 PM.

#34 2019

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:29 PM

EDIT - and wow, yeah, they're totally blocking used games with that. Wow. That is NOT COOL by any stretch of the imagination.

It's Microsoft, they hate losing money. And a huge amount of money is lost on the used games market.

PM me if you're bored!

#35 Corgsopal

Corgsopal

• Supporter
  • 5736 posts

My brother found this:
http://www.computera...e-for-xbox-one/

Basically you have to pay MS to install a used or borrowed game and all games just be installed to play. Even a second account on your device needs to pay the fee.
Reclaim the suffix.

#36 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Staff
  • 38560 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

I am totally not enthused.

The hardware looks nice enough, but I don't know. I was also just hoping that the TV service would be a tool for cord cutting, but it doesn't seem like it will be useful in that regard at all.

Also, TWIT just said that Pre-owned games will require a fee in install on a seperate Xbox Live account.

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#37 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 34856 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:30 PM

http://www.theverge....ds-compatibilty

and then there's this.

#38 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 8740 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:31 PM

Looks like straight backwards compatibility is out. I'm out

Kotaku Xbox One is not Backward Compatible

#39 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

Quoth Akitsu, "NEVERMORE!"

• Retired Staff
  • 14495 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:32 PM

Horrible Press conference from my point of view. No in-game footage. Only "in-engine", which means it's not handling any of the computational data of the world, it's all hard coded. The television stuff is interesting, but that's not a added value. No one will buy a XBOX ONE in order to watch the series. They'll stream or torrent it from where ever.

Speaking of, way too heavy on media consumption / Live TV junk. As someone who is not interested in the multimedia aspects of the XBOX as a device this was a huge fail. As soon as a Roku or AppleTV actually opens up to development it will make all of their work moot. If they wanted to get me interested, maybe tell us that you're not keeping everything the system is capable of behind a pay wall.
Yep.

#40 Corgsopal

Corgsopal

• Supporter
  • 5736 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:35 PM

Don't forget Fantasy Football!
Reclaim the suffix.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic