Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Pennpenn : (19 September 2018 - 09:07 AM)

It's an annoying thing to have happen in any game. I'm hoping they actually finish releasing all the story mode parts before 3 comes out.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (19 September 2018 - 06:24 AM)

Ahh. Hadn't played that in a long time.. Since before the PVP I think.

@  Pennpenn : (19 September 2018 - 04:33 AM)

Kingdom Hearts Union Cross. Specifically the PVP fights.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (19 September 2018 - 04:31 AM)

What game PennPenn

@  Pennpenn : (19 September 2018 - 03:13 AM)

Man, I love it when you've got limited attempts at something in a game, said game crashes at the end of the thing, so you lose the attempt but don't get any credit.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 September 2018 - 08:44 PM)

I know. I'm back to the classic purple for the first time since the comic theme was introduced.

@  Fenix Twilight : (18 September 2018 - 08:32 PM)

Alright thanks, gonna be weird without the speech bubble boxes but I'll manage.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 September 2018 - 07:59 PM)

Nope, ongoing problem for a bunch of us. The mods know, so... just hunker down and wait. In the mean time: changing themes will sort it out for a bit. Only the comic theme is affected.

@  Fenix Twilight : (18 September 2018 - 05:36 PM)

Is something going on? I'm missing the buttons to go to the newest post and there's no banner for the forum list, it just says "logo" in the corner.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 September 2018 - 06:03 AM)

Leader-1!

@  Whirl Maximus : (18 September 2018 - 02:25 AM)

"huh?" 'chuckle' in every reaction shot. That's all I remember of Armada.

@  Paladin : (16 September 2018 - 07:36 PM)

if youre looking for sympathy its in the dictionary between shit & syphilis.

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 September 2018 - 03:10 PM)

Uuuhhhhhh.......

@  Rycochet : (15 September 2018 - 11:56 AM)

Due to it's concentrated lousiness, even small doses of Energon will age you, yes.

@  Lazy Garou : (15 September 2018 - 10:32 AM)

unicron trilogy video was great, but made me feel a hundred years old.

@  wonko the sane? : (12 September 2018 - 07:32 AM)

Awesome. Good job man.

@  Lazy Garou : (11 September 2018 - 09:30 PM)

cleaning up, mostly.but the little plastic piece where the power cable hooked up was broken. That I managed to put back together.

@  Patch : (11 September 2018 - 04:48 PM)

So he also has White Castle-like qualities?

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 September 2018 - 02:23 PM)

Just keep him away from the plumbing, he's really hard on the pipes.

@  RichardT1977 : (11 September 2018 - 01:22 PM)

Overlord has some castle-like qualities to him

@  wonko the sane? : (11 September 2018 - 12:15 PM)

Fix it, like, found a working power adaptor, or fix it like: there was saudering involved.

@  Lazy Garou : (11 September 2018 - 11:58 AM)

that feeling when you fix something and works like a dream. we now have a working snes in my house and I have tested 10 games on it and they all work.

@  Arazyr : (11 September 2018 - 10:44 AM)

...Now I want a Transformer that turns into a castle.

@  wonko the sane? : (11 September 2018 - 09:37 AM)

You should be careful man, lots of allsparkers life in castle law states. It's a good way to get shot you know.

@  ▲ndrusi : (11 September 2018 - 09:35 AM)

Which house? Mine? Dammit I thought I locked my door!

@  GrungeWerX : (11 September 2018 - 01:20 AM)

GrungeWerX in tha HOUSE!!! WOOT!!

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2018 - 11:54 PM)

There's been consistently good sc-fi flicks; most just fly under the radar as lower-budget or indie pictures

@  Steevy Maximus : (10 September 2018 - 09:28 PM)

If you can forget about that garbage Ghost in the Shell feature...

@  Steevy Maximus : (10 September 2018 - 09:27 PM)

Upgrade is a GREAT dark sci fi throwback film. Kind of feels like the genre has been nailing some good stuff after a LONG time of drek

@  Sabrblade : (10 September 2018 - 06:34 PM)

Hey, Steve is a Vehicon!

@  abates : (10 September 2018 - 04:44 PM)

I thought it was spelled "Stege".

@  Arazyr : (10 September 2018 - 02:10 PM)

So, "I before E, except after Siege"? :D

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (10 September 2018 - 01:59 PM)

Memorandum to all: the word "siege" is spelled with the "i" before the "e".

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (08 September 2018 - 12:55 PM)

Happy birthday to Star Trek and Star Trek: The Animated Series!

@  MEDdMI : (08 September 2018 - 07:55 AM)

*smacks TMM upside the head*

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 September 2018 - 02:51 AM)

& Knuckles.

@  Pennpenn : (07 September 2018 - 11:01 PM)

Re: Coded?

@  Waspinator : (07 September 2018 - 09:14 PM)

Final Fantasy: The Movie: The Game: Pocket Edition HD Boogaloo

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (07 September 2018 - 01:03 AM)

Funny thing is, I think the pocket edition graphics give the game more personality.

@  MEDdMI : (06 September 2018 - 11:10 PM)

Final Finception

@  Waspinator : (06 September 2018 - 10:29 PM)

They've made a PS4 version of Final Fantasy 15 Pocket Edition. For those keeping score, it's the PS4 version of a smartphone version of a PS4 game.

@  wonko the sane? : (05 September 2018 - 09:20 PM)

Ah HA! turns out the trick to installing the rift software was to run it as an admin. Stupid windows 10.

@  wonko the sane? : (05 September 2018 - 04:58 PM)

Awright! I got the display port working! Which means I can now connect my occulus rift!

@  MEDdMI : (04 September 2018 - 10:38 PM)

*just stares*

@  Noideaforaname : (04 September 2018 - 09:36 PM)

Hello there

@  wonko the sane? : (04 September 2018 - 09:06 PM)

Howdy.

@  RichardT1977 : (03 September 2018 - 07:11 PM)

Or just a set of arms and shoulder cannons that combined Legends Godbomber with CW Optimus.

@  RichardT1977 : (03 September 2018 - 07:10 PM)

I still wish someone would make an upgrade kit for Combiner Wars Optimus that transformed from a trailer to a set of limbs with Powermaster shoulder cannons...

@  NotVeryKnightly : (03 September 2018 - 09:48 AM)

I read that as "Basilisky" for some reason.

@  Anonymous X : (03 September 2018 - 03:45 AM)

Basicslly

Photo

Magic: the Gathering

173 replies to this topic

#1 kizudarake

kizudarake

Do you really think I'm always serious?

• Citizen
  • 3358 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:24 AM

I'm sure more than a few of us on here play Magic: The Gathering casually, or even as a hobby. If you do, feel free to skip past this next section.
If you don't, here's a very short rundown of the basic game.

-----

Magic: The Gathering is a collectible card game published by Wizards of the Coast(currently a division of Hasbro). It's played with decks of 60 to 100 cards(With some variants affecting the number of cards used.), one deck per person. Most local comic stores hold a weekly tournament each Friday, called Friday Night Magic, with other tournaments occasionally popping up. Some are free, others have a small buy-in, at the friendly level of the game. The goal is to utilize your cards to reach one of several outcomes in the game: Reduce your opponent to zero life, or to cause your opponent to have to draw a card when he has no more cards available to draw.

Intro Packs, which currently include a 60-card deck and two 15-card booster packs are a great way to start playing, and have an MSRP of US$14.99. If you choose to go this route, however, Wal-mart is selling Intro Packs for the current expansion, Gatecrash, for 14 dollars. While you're never required to buy another card past that to play casually, to play in tournaments requires the occasional update of your deck. To do this, you can either buy additional booster packs, at US$3.99 a pack, MSRP, or purchase cards one or two at a time through your local game store, Amazon.com, or eBay.

***Warning: Due to a few people who have worked out a way to figure out which packs out of a booster box are most likely to contain the value cards, you're best off buying booster packs at Wal-mart or your FLGS. This technique is called Box Mapping, and is fairly complicated to do on your own.***

For the rules of the game, and additional information, please visit http://wizards.com/Magic and then click Trading Card Game near the top of the screen, then click the link labeled "New To Magic".

If you want to learn about the game and never hold a card in your hand, there is a digital product available. It is called Duel of the Planeswalkers, the current edition is 2013, and it is available through Steam, PSN, Xbox Live, and, new to this addition, on the iPad App Store. It will additionally be available through the Android Store once 2014 is released.

-----

For those who are already familiar with the game, the new expansion, the last in the Return To Ravnica block, is titled Dragon Maze. The prerelease event is scheduled to occur on April 27, 2013, and will be MSRP $25.00. Players will be able to choose between one of 10 possible guild packs. Each Dragon Maze prerelease guild pack will contain 4 Dragon's Maze booster packs, one prerelease booster pack for the guild you choose, and one prerelease booster pack for a guild that shares one color with your chosen guild.

What does this mean?

It means that if you choose Golgari, whose colors are green and black, inside you'll find the Golgari prerelease pack from Return to Ravnica, as well as the prerelease booster pack for either Orzhov(Black/White), Rakdos(Black/Red), Dimir(Black/Blue), Selesnya(Green/White), Gruul(Green/Red), or Simic(Green/Blue).

After you assemble your deck, then the fun begins!

I plan to visit Knight's Comics and Games in Henderson, KY for my prerelease. I'm rolling either Golgari or Dimir. Who knows? I might see one or more of you there!

Hopefully, from this point on, this thread will be used to discuss the game, the cards, how to play, and what decks you use, or plan to use. This thread is currently, and will remain a positive thread, at least in regards to posters. If you have opinions on a deck or some cards someone else is running, then be sure to be constructive with your comments. If you have an opinion on WOTC, the game itself, or the public face of magic, feel free to go wild. Of course, board rules apply.

Edited by kizudarake, 16 April 2013 - 04:26 AM.

.mlh z vezs bizN bwzO wmz vS .ozrxvkS hznghrisX 2102 csg tmrifw pxfig z tmrwrlez gmvwrxxz izx z mr hvrw bvodziX dvsggzN
????
This message was written in a code where Z=A, Y=B, X=C and so on. I bear no responsibility, should you choose to translate it.

#2 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Staff
  • 38355 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:40 AM

I miss the red/white guild from the original set. Twas awesome and my favorite, but I will probably pick up a Selesnya set.

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#3 Shadewing

Shadewing

Evil faces a Black Night

• Supporter
  • 35628 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:53 AM

I only played MTG once, I had a friend in high school who used to go to Tourniments and even win them occasionally. When he found out I liked TCGs, he decided to teach me to play. He let me use one of his decks and taught me as we played, I caught on quickly and ended up winning by a good deal. He never wanted to play again with me after that. I think I hurt his pride, lol.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#4 Daith

Daith

You must Unlearn what you have Learned

• Supporter
  • 8532 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:49 AM

Admittedly it a tad buried but we already have a thread going for M:TG guys.

M:TG discussion

#5 kizudarake

kizudarake

• Citizen
  • 3358 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:00 AM

QUOTE(Daith @ Apr 16 2013, 10:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Admittedly it a tad buried but we already have a thread going for M:TG guys.

M:TG discussion

Nearly a year since the last post, it can stay buried.

For content, here's the deck I took to Friday Night Magic last week. It performed really well, and was a fast deck out of the gate, no pun intended. It's especially nice, considering the most expensive card is approx. two dollars.

Cheap gates

If you can get a guild gate with red out first turn, then one with a forest second turn, you're setting up a good combo with Burning Tree emissary.
.mlh z vezs bizN bwzO wmz vS .ozrxvkS hznghrisX 2102 csg tmrifw pxfig z tmrwrlez gmvwrxxz izx z mr hvrw bvodziX dvsggzN
????
This message was written in a code where Z=A, Y=B, X=C and so on. I bear no responsibility, should you choose to translate it.

#6 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

The sage, the fool, the sinner

• Supporter
  • 42038 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:20 AM

I miss the casual tournaments that used to take place at the Toy Vault at the Rhode Island Mall. But now the Mall's dead and I never bothered trying to go somewhere else to play. Maybe I should.

#7 kizudarake

kizudarake

• Citizen
  • 3358 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:28 AM

QUOTE(TheMightyMollusk @ Apr 16 2013, 11:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I miss the casual tournaments that used to take place at the Toy Vault at the Rhode Island Mall. But now the Mall's dead and I never bothered trying to go somewhere else to play. Maybe I should.

There's the Comic Doctor in Cranston, if you meant the Rhode Island Mall in Warwick. The reviews say it's nice.
????

#8 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

• Supporter
  • 42038 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:47 AM

QUOTE(kizudarake @ Apr 16 2013, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's the Comic Doctor in Cranston, if you meant the Rhode Island Mall in Warwick. The reviews say it's nice.

It's also a little small for a claustrophobe. But my biggest problem with getting out and playing more is that I'm antisocial and lack initiative.

Also I don't like constructed tournaments because of net decks. I accept that I'm not so great at the game, but can I lose to a different deck once in a while?

#9 kizudarake

kizudarake

• Citizen
  • 3358 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE(TheMightyMollusk @ Apr 16 2013, 11:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(kizudarake @ Apr 16 2013, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's also a little small for a claustrophobe. But my biggest problem with getting out and playing more is that I'm antisocial and lack initiative.

Also I don't like constructed tournaments because of net decks. I accept that I'm not so great at the game, but can I lose to a different deck once in a while?

Granted, mine's technically going to be a net deck for you, but it's really cheap and might be fun to toy with.

And if you want to avoid a constructed tournament, next Saturday's the prerelease of the new set.

Edited by kizudarake, 16 April 2013 - 11:58 AM.

????

#10 Daith

Daith

• Supporter
  • 8532 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:31 PM

Ok haven't even touched any Dragons maze yet but todays Facebook reveals for Core Set 2014 has me jumping for joy.

Slivers! Ah ya!

#11 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

• Supporter
  • 42038 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:03 AM

Hey, maybe now I can build a Commander sliver deck. (Granted, the main thing stopping me previously was laziness).

Also, Dragon's Maze does not seem to actually contain any DRAGONS. What.

#12 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19125 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:19 PM

It has a card that turns everything into dragons for a turn. That's something.

IIRC, Niv Mizzet is the only dragon in Ravnica.

#13 Kira Kira

Kira Kira

Gimmick Princess

• Supporter
  • 2176 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:32 AM

So... I'm not liking the new Slivers. The old ones were iconic, in every sense of the word. Besides being a famous Magic creature type they were also easily recognizable. Which I think is actually kind of important when playing with them (just like dealing with Elf decks, having them look similar makes identifying pumps just that much easier to grok...) Also they just look like every other modern Magic villain now. At a glance they blend well with New Phyrexians and the Eldrazi drones which is such a bad idea.
If you have something unique don't dilute or trash it!

QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ May 7 2013, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has a card that turns everything into dragons for a turn. That's something.

IIRC, Niv Mizzet is the only dragon in Ravnica.
An awesome something! Dragonshift isn't the perfect card, but turning all your creatures into dragons is ridiculous.

And Niv technically wasn't the only, just the most famous of the few remaining.
In the original Ravnica block we got him, and Rakdos Pit Dragon and Hunted Dragon. So, I guess other than Niv, the dragons left were kinda down on their luck.
Now the Return to Ravnica block... only three new dragons other than Niv-Mizzet; but they're much more typical of the big, bombastic dragons you'd expect: Hypersonic Dragon, Utvara Hellkite, and Hellkite Tyrant. Oh, and another card of Niv himself. So four dragons!

Looking for Combiner Hunters Chromia and Arcee! If you can help plz pm me

My Amazon wish list~! http://a.co/4lE2Xrw

#14 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19125 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:07 AM

Oh right, my bad. Totally forgot about those guys.

#15 Daith

Daith

• Supporter
  • 8532 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:43 AM

The new sliver artwork does kind of bug me but they are the adaptive species of Magic. Didn't the Time Spiral sets say something about accelerating their evolution or such.

#16 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

• Supporter
  • 42038 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:40 PM

Just noticed, the old slivers buffed ALL slivers, but these just buff slivers you control.

Wonder if we'll get a new legendary sliver to go with them. Or if Wizards is feeling really insane, a sliver planeswalker.

#17 Daith

Daith

• Supporter
  • 8532 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:18 PM

QUOTE(TheMightyMollusk @ May 8 2013, 04:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just noticed, the old slivers buffed ALL slivers, but these just buff slivers you control.

Wonder if we'll get a new legendary sliver to go with them. Or if Wizards is feeling really insane, a sliver planeswalker.

Ah this is a good point. Kinda makes the slivers that much better now that you don't buff an opponents own brood. And what would a Sliver plainswalker be? A new Queen/Overlord/Legion?

#18 Daith

Daith

• Supporter
  • 8532 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 12:14 AM

Thread Necromancy!

Admittedly I haven't been playing much at all but I hear this year we are ditching the Three Set Block and One Core set for Two of Two Set blocks. The Tarkir block is going to be the last three block sets. And just announced the core set will be called Magic Origins and will lorewise be exploring the beginnings of Gideon, Jace, Liliana, Chandra, and Nissa who are going to also be featured in the first of the Two Block sets. So I'm going to be cool with the new stories coming out a bit faster with the potential to both see new planes and revisit older ones both within a year.

#19 Sharkshadow

Sharkshadow
  • Citizen
  • 12070 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:19 AM

I wonder then if their going to put out a separate starter product for new players or chuck newbies in head first into regular magic sets. PErsonally i think the lack of a core sets gonna hurt the game but if it gets us back to phyrexia again im on board.

Edited by Sharkshadow, 09 February 2015 - 01:20 AM.

#20 tec

tec

Its a Gunda..oh its a Samus

• Supporter
  • 28482 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:28 AM

Why dose the Op sound robotic

While unless baring something really awsome showing up in the expanions comeing out Im not going to to be buying much Magic in the near future if fact I have not bought any MTG in a year or so That said.Im not dissing the game theres been some great progress made in the game and some neat products(I still want to het that Chandra t-shirt and maybe her and Liliana's action figuer

I been a player of the game sence Ice Age with Tempest being my favorite block followed by Urza Saga I loved it I had a lot of fun with it over the years and some time this week I will be getting with a bunch of kids to show them the ropes of deck building and play mechinics

Im going to give away everything not in my my binder,decks or my retro cards, basicly everything after 9th edtion I will give to the kids

I have won a turny on the back of a 1/1 Skrib Sprite(no one expects green to fly) and in the finals the guy had no way of blocking a green flyer that was geting pumped to +6 or more each turn everybody had a good laugh about it and I got two booster boxes for winning

I shared the packs with eveyone I had already gotten the cards needed from the set one of my favorite moments of the game

Another fun night was the odd game of four teams playing each other two on each team (odd rules btw) but my partner begged me to play my red deck of burn everything to the ground.(witch is a game killer in its own right) I desided to let fate deside and the dice came up ten witch is my white life deck my partner thought we where done for we ened up winning with us haveing over 500 points of life after all said and done.

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users