Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Telly : (24 April 2019 - 11:05 PM)

i wish theyd dub double zeta. thats the only one im missing for the "amuro vs char" thing (and chars not even in it so...). but given some of the things ive heard about it, its probly best that they dont dub it

@  Telly : (24 April 2019 - 11:02 PM)

and im on vacation next week so ill have lots of time to watch all this lol

@  Telly : (24 April 2019 - 11:01 PM)

@zaku ive got war in the pocket on standard dvd already. amazon didnt have it on blu ray. bonus points to it for having character designs by haruhiku mikimoto. and this collecction is only "new" in as much as its new to me on blu ray. ive had burnt dvd copies of it all for years

@  Xellos : (24 April 2019 - 09:44 PM)

Yeah, 00 was pretty good, and I recently watched Build Divers, and found it really fun. Got both limited editions of IBO... still need to watch them...

@  Steevy Maximus : (24 April 2019 - 08:30 PM)

00 is also pretty good, basically a refined version of the Wing concept, and IBO is great.

@  Steevy Maximus : (24 April 2019 - 08:29 PM)

I'll be the requisite "Build Fighters is actually pretty good" chime in

@  MEDdMI : (24 April 2019 - 07:52 PM)

G Gundam was the best. Horse mecha! Piloted by.... a HORSE!

@  ZakuConvoy : (24 April 2019 - 07:31 PM)

I'd probably recommend tracking down 0080 War in the Pocket to go along with your new collection, but you might have enough to watch for right now.

@  Xellos : (24 April 2019 - 06:53 PM)

G Gundam will likely always rank first for me, as it is the one I find the most fun, but 8th MS was great for being the most "realistic" of the UC stuff.

@  Telly : (24 April 2019 - 06:17 PM)

the only other gundam series ive watched-which was also the FIRST gundam series i watched-is wing (and ill probly get that on blu ray soon too). i know i havent watched everything tied to it, but the UC is quite enough for me lol

@  Telly : (24 April 2019 - 06:14 PM)

i think 8th team is my favorite, but cant say why. maybe it has something to do with them not being newtypes. i dont particularly like that concept

@  Xellos : (24 April 2019 - 06:11 PM)

8th M Team, 0083, and Zeta are my favorites of the original timeline. Have yet to watch Origin, but it is loooow on my list, as I never particularly liked Char. Quattro Bajeena was actually kinda cool, though.

@  Telly : (24 April 2019 - 05:49 PM)

so i just did something insane. i bought gundam origin, first gundam, 08th ms team, operation stardust, zeta gundam AND chars counterattack on bluray...

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (24 April 2019 - 05:46 PM)

Hollywood stereotypes, eh? Don't get me started on how sheerly unrealistic that can be, and how badly Hollywood loves to stick to them.

@  Nevermore : (24 April 2019 - 05:44 PM)

Also, fun fact: To me, Dutch is the language that sounds harsh compared to German.

@  Nevermore : (24 April 2019 - 05:37 PM)

Generally, nobody shouts at each other in Germany unless they're either a) morons or b) doing it for comedic effect.

@  Nevermore : (24 April 2019 - 05:36 PM)

... based on an outdated way of speaking (I mean, does anyone in the US still speak like Joe Friday?)... which might also have been at least partially a regional thing.

@  Nevermore : (24 April 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Generally, many native English speakers' primary conception of the German language and its perceived harshness comes from Hollywood movies... created by non-native German speakers, with non-native German actors giving their impression of what they think the German language sounds like...

@  Nevermore : (24 April 2019 - 05:33 PM)

I might be severely biased, but as a native German speaker, I think the perception of the "harsh German language" is at least in part due to a myth created by Hollywood.

@  Pinkcolliebot : (24 April 2019 - 05:32 PM)

I wish I knew if that Blue autobot in the background in the movie Bumblebee was Blurr.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (24 April 2019 - 11:52 AM)

Blood is blue before coming into contact with air from outside.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 April 2019 - 09:50 AM)

I had to use a whole ten percent of my brain to understand that.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (24 April 2019 - 08:32 AM)

I think I saw a debunking of that like at least a decade ago when I still relied on TV for things.

@  Paladin : (24 April 2019 - 08:21 AM)

isn't the whole "lemmings jump to their death" thing proven false now too???

@  Pennpenn : (24 April 2019 - 03:05 AM)

It's like how the whole "alpha male" thing doesn't really show up in wolf packs in the wild.

@  Nevermore : (24 April 2019 - 01:54 AM)

Aaaaand another myth busted.

@  CORVUS : (24 April 2019 - 12:27 AM)

Quite welcome! :)

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (23 April 2019 - 09:51 PM)

@Corvus Huh, did not know that part. Thanks for imparting knowledge!

@  Kayla Kaon : (23 April 2019 - 09:27 PM)

No because it's true.

@  wonko the sane? : (23 April 2019 - 09:17 PM)

Would I be jaded if i said that's a good lesson about people as well?

@  CORVUS : (23 April 2019 - 09:01 PM)

Overstated risk. Most observations of sexual cannibalism in the Praying Mantis occurred in captivity, versus nature. When entomologists began observing them in nature instead, they found that sexual cannibalism took place around 30% of the time. Basically, if a male Mantis avoids thin, hungry females, his chances are pretty good. #yesimanerd

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (23 April 2019 - 07:52 PM)

Are you a male mantis?

@  MEDdMI : (23 April 2019 - 07:27 PM)

Death by snu snu

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 April 2019 - 06:40 PM)

There's a joke about going out with a bang to be made here.

@  Kayla Kaon : (23 April 2019 - 06:38 PM)

I would hope getting laid is preferred over dying :p

@  Nevermore : (23 April 2019 - 05:20 PM)

Don't we all want to get laid?

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 April 2019 - 04:53 PM)

I'd spend the first few loops just taking an extended nap.

@  Dekafox : (23 April 2019 - 04:48 PM)

Endless death time loops certainly happen enough in Star Trek

@  Kayla Kaon : (23 April 2019 - 03:50 PM)

That's not what I had in mind but if that is what you would do in that scenario then that is pretty messed up. I would not want to be stuck in a perpetual loop of death. More like getting laid but that is just me.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (23 April 2019 - 01:58 PM)

Happy death day to you!

@  Kayla Kaon : (23 April 2019 - 01:45 PM)

.... I would love that. To be stuck in an endless loop where no one remembers what happened... The possibilities :D

@  ZakuConvoy : (23 April 2019 - 01:43 PM)

Are you stuck in a Groundhogs Day situation? Because if you are, you need to tell the rest of us so we can take advantage, too.

@  Kayla Kaon : (23 April 2019 - 11:10 AM)

Lol today needs to end asap so that I can start over tomorrow

@  Ashley : (21 April 2019 - 10:08 PM)

They frequently do, but yeah there's no rule. Google will usually answer it for a specific restaurant, though

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 April 2019 - 02:57 PM)

Depends on the restaurant and the area. There's no universal rule about it.

@  TM2-Megatron : (21 April 2019 - 02:41 PM)

I thought restaurants were one of the few things that stayed open on holidays, along with movie theatres and the like

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (21 April 2019 - 02:30 PM)

Well here I am hungry on a Sunday afternoon and I head to Chipotle only to find out right then and there that the place is closed for Easter. Yay.

@  MEDdMI : (19 April 2019 - 09:21 PM)

oof, yikes. Good luck.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 April 2019 - 09:18 PM)

We're in the middle of a kitchen reno and NOTHING will be done until tuesday. I could beat a four day weekend with a hammer right now if it meant I could use my stove again.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 April 2019 - 06:47 PM)

Can't beat 4 day weekends either.

Photo

Sony Playstation 4 thread

1064 replies to this topic

#1 Zyking

Zyking

Totally one of gods gifts to women!

• Supporter
  • 5675 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:56 AM

Sony held a conference on February 20th 2013.

The official specs from Sony:

- Main Processor: Single chip custom processor. CPU is an x86-64 AMD "Jaguar", 8 cores.

- GPU is an custom made AMD next-generation Radeon graphics engine rated at 1.84 teraflops with 18 unified Compute Units. Based on the Radeon 7000-series desktop graphics cards.

- Memory: 8GB GDDR5 with 176GB/s bandwidth.

- Hard Drive: Built-in ( No word on capacity )

- Optical Drive (read only): BD 6x CAV, DVD 8x CAV

- I/O: Super-Speed USB 3.0, Aux (for PS4 Eye)

- Communication: Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T), IEEE 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 2.1 (EDR)

- AV Output: HDMI, Analogue AV out, optical digital audio output

- Controller: DualShock 4, Move features, small touchpad screen, share button, headphone socket. Similar in design as before.

Other info and some rumors

- Easy to develop for
- Developers seems to be pleased with its performance and abilities
- Focus on sharing and social gaming, like posting videos of ones gameplay, realtime streaming of gameplay, chat rooms etc etc
- New UI and menus
- Connectivity with Vita - Offscreen play Wii U style!
- Backwards compability with PS3 games is unclear, but it is said to have som form of cloud-based backwards compability
- Will likely have Paid subscription for "most" of its online features, similar to Xbox Live, and the ability to hook up your smartphone, similar to SmartGlass.
- Price is rumored to be in the $400-450 range, probably ?400 in the UK, ?400-450 in Eurozone. Although a report say that one version of the Orbis will cost $529.
- Rumored to come out in November this year.

Games shown:

- Knack

- Killzone Shadow Fall

- Some racing game ( Will find name... )

- Infamous: Second Son

- The Witness

- Deep down. ( from Capcom )

- Watch Dogs

- Diablo 3 ( Yes the one from Blizzard! )

- Destiny ( from Bungie )

- EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Square Enix etc etc all on board for PS4.

Edited by Zyking, 22 February 2013 - 09:52 AM.

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it". - Upton Sinclair.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning". - Rick Cook, The Wizardry Compiled.

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider than that!" - George Carlin.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans". -John Lennon.

"A lot of things have been done in the name of Jesus that heaven does not approve of" - Jostein Gaarder.

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, surrounded by bungholes." -William Gibson

#2 2019

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:59 AM

Oh yeah, I'll need to stay up for this. How many hours til the show?

PM me if you're bored!

#3 Undead Scottsman

Undead Scottsman

THANOSCOPTER

• Citizen
  • 10250 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:18 AM

It starts in about 12 hours, I think.

MSzBav1.jpg

#4 Zyking

Zyking

• Supporter
  • 5675 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:23 AM

Its:

6 pm Eastern

3 pm Western

11 pm UK

At midnigt in Scandinavia and several parts of Europe

Edited by Zyking, 20 February 2013 - 05:23 AM.

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it". - Upton Sinclair.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning". - Rick Cook, The Wizardry Compiled.

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider than that!" - George Carlin.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans". -John Lennon.

"A lot of things have been done in the name of Jesus that heaven does not approve of" - Jostein Gaarder.

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, surrounded by bungholes." -William Gibson

#5 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 34978 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:23 AM

I'm kind of surprised this even exists. There's been like no money in their R&D budget.

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

#6 Zyking

Zyking

• Supporter
  • 5675 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:27 AM

Considering both the CPU and the GPU is AMD based, maybe Sony outsourced most of the design and development of the Orbis to them, though perhaps providing AMD with a few engineers ?

#7 DeadPigmon

DeadPigmon
  • Supporter
  • 12338 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:31 AM

Im excited....a bit pissed I need to get up earlier than normal to watch it but still excited!

#8 Stilton Disco

Stilton Disco
  • Citizen
  • 3714 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:46 AM

11PM!? I'm usually in bed with a hot water bottle and mug of Horlicks by then, what with my hedonistic rock and roll lifestyle.

I might just have to wait until tomorrow to find out how exciting/disappointing/infuriating this will end up being. Drat!
No, I'm not 'that' TotalBiscuit.

#9 Undead Scottsman

Undead Scottsman

THANOSCOPTER

• Citizen
  • 10250 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:52 AM

My bad. Gametrailer's coverage starts at 5pm EST, so that threw me off. They'll probably just speculate for an hour beforehand.

MSzBav1.jpg

#10 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 34978 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:24 AM

QUOTE(Zyking @ Feb 20 2013, 10:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Considering both the CPU and the GPU is AMD based, maybe Sony outsourced most of the design and development of the Orbis to them, though perhaps providing AMD with a few engineers ?

... But wouldn't they still have to fund it?

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

#11 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Staff
  • 38682 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:09 AM

Well, I can't wait to see what they are going to do. I really haven't used my PS3 for that much gaming, mainly just used it for Blu-ray movies, but I can't wait to see an actual next gen console.

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#12 Creature SH

Creature SH

Condimented

• Supporter
  • 6043 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

Given AMD's performance in recent years, I have little hope for that system.

j1GI7Gi.gif

#13 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 16843 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

PS3 was the lesser beast in this house. We got the Xbox360 ourselves about a year after it came out because there were games we wanted to play. PS3 we got as a gift the next Xmas... And it was a Blu-ray player primarily because there was nothing else we were interested to do on it that our Xbox didn't do in a easier better interfaced manner. Sure the Internet stuff was free but it was also terrible and slow compared to Xbox. Now in the last year or two the PS3 has improved for us a bit and we actually game on it occasionally now. But it still remains a secondary system that we probably wouldn't replace if it broke (vs the Xbox that would be replaced in a matter of days likely.)

So what would I hope for tonight? Cheaper system. More interesting games. MUCH BETTER interface and Internet service. Backwards compatible.

What do I expect? Too Expensive. A bunch of shooters and God of War stuff I don't care about. Good graphics. Attempts to copy what works for other companies but not implemented as well. Interface that's still awkward. Internet service that's still slow.

-ZacWilliam, not meaning to be pessimistic, beleive it or not, loved PS and PS2 but the PS3 was such a huge screw up I honestly am not sure I believe they've learned their lesson.

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 20 February 2013 - 11:57 AM.

Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#14 Lancer

Lancer
  • Citizen
  • 24723 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:58 AM

QUOTE(ZacWilliam1 @ Feb 20 2013, 11:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
-ZacWilliam, not meaning to be pessimistic, beleive it or not, loved PS and PS2 but the PS3 was such a huge screw up I honestly am not sure I believe they've learned their lesson.

Well, after how bad the Vita flopped, you'd have every reason to be unsure.

#15 Zyking

Zyking

• Supporter
  • 5675 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:36 PM

QUOTE(Creature SH @ Feb 20 2013, 05:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Given AMD's performance in recent years, I have little hope for that system.

AMD's products, technology and R&D are quite good, actually.

But if you are thinking of financial performance, then yes, they aren't doing too well. Still good revenue and overall they make money, but they also endured layoffs. Nowhere near as bad as the shape they were in back in the late 90's though, AMD basically saved themselves in 99/00 when they launched the Athlon processors that competed well and in some areas was better than Intel's Pentium 3. icon-hotrod.gif

Edited by Zyking, 20 February 2013 - 01:40 PM.

#16 Rhinox

Rhinox

Yeah, I'm kind of pissy.

• Supporter
  • 14095 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

QUOTE(Spin Out @ Feb 20 2013, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(ZacWilliam1 @ Feb 20 2013, 11:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, after how bad the Vita flopped, you'd have every reason to be unsure.

Man, I feel so sorry for people who own a Vita. An expensive, but nice system, however you'd have thought that Sony would have learned the lesson of the PSP. Yet, here we are, still with no huge blockbuster games on the damn thing. At least the 3DS has some really nice stuff either just coming out, coming very soon, or announced. Vita doesn't even have anything announced that's really 'stand up and pay attention'.

"Why does history repeat itself? Because God doesn't have TiVo."

Wounds of honor are always self inflicted.

#17 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

May Mayhem

• Supporter
  • 61069 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

Get me a Vita exclusive Elderscrolls 1-5 collection with transferable saves and I'd buy a system...

<_< other wise I'm not touching another handheld

(destron jaded launch psp owner)

"Does the Boss look different to you?" "She Looks Hot." "So that's a no then?"

#18 Zyking

Zyking

• Supporter
  • 5675 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

Heh, yeah, I got my PSP at launch back in 2004, it came from the very first 200K batch of PSP's.

Never did use it much though, in the end.

Interestingly enough; The PSP ended up selling quite well since then, with around 70 + million units.

Edited by Zyking, 20 February 2013 - 02:10 PM.

#19 Corgsopal

Corgsopal

Hanging 'round amorphous mounds

• Supporter
  • 5736 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

QUOTE(The Predaking @ Feb 20 2013, 07:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't wait to see an actual next gen console.

Judging by what "hardcore gamers" and gaming press are always going on about, you've been playing one for the last 6 years or so. The Orbis will just have a fresh coat of paint (higher resolution of course) and a cloud drive of some sort. Voila! Your next 6 years.
Reclaim the suffix.

#20 Zyking

Zyking

• Supporter
  • 5675 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

Ssshhhhh....don't tell now! icon-arcee.gif

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users