Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 February 2020 - 03:53 PM)

Oh boy, here we go.

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:34 PM)

Or do Japan's cultural values vary depending on exactly who you're trying to shut down?

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:33 PM)

Could it be that, perhaps, these different cultural values might lead to a different approach seeming appropriate?

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:32 PM)

Hm. Back when we were arguing about the Legends comic, I seem to recall being repeatedly told that Japan had different cultural values than the US (and therefore anyone who had a problem with anything at all was wrong to voice that opinion ever).

@  fourteenwings : (19 February 2020 - 07:23 AM)

Plus, as much as I hate to admit it, every single anime character is built to suit the audience's tastes so they buy more merch/do other things that allow $$$ to flow in the production committees direction, so the authenticity is certainly not for representation's sake.

@  fourteenwings : (19 February 2020 - 07:18 AM)

Both those anime air at midnight and are aimed at a very specific audience in a whole other media landscape. Major projects have press releases about almost everything, and there are groups just waiting to pat anybody on the back for doing what they want (GLAAD, HRC, etc)

@  B-Fox : (19 February 2020 - 03:16 AM)

It's funny that a friggin' anime about zombie idols and an anime about a school of anthropomorphic animals can have really positive trans characters WITHOUT a press release about their inclusion in the series prior to the episodes airing or having the creators announcing it on social media and patting themselves on the back for doing a thing.

@  TriBlurr : (18 February 2020 - 10:26 PM)

Vegan meat needs bacon

@  Paladin : (18 February 2020 - 08:43 PM)

vegan meat must taste delicious. they're grass-fed and regularly exercised....

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 06:57 PM)

Vegans are better than kids if you don't talk to them. They'll keep the lawn trimmed anyway.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 February 2020 - 06:02 PM)

Do you want vegans? Because that's how you get vegans.

@  CORVUS : (18 February 2020 - 04:33 PM)

Hook up your sprinkler system to a canister of healthy organic carrot-juice. The kids won't be able to get off your lawn fast enough.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 February 2020 - 03:59 PM)

Just use the hose.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 03:52 PM)

Ask bing. It'll be a FAR more effective answer.

@  TrnsfrmGod : (18 February 2020 - 03:26 PM)

Google, how do I get those durned kids off my lawn?

@  TrnsfrmGod : (18 February 2020 - 03:26 PM)

Please ignore.  Old man here apparently doesn't know the difference between the "Search" field and the "Shoutbox" field.

Also doesn't know how to delete from the shoutbox

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 07:33 AM)

Huhn. Penny arcade was right, the division 2 is literally 3 dollars...

@  Steevy Maximus : (17 February 2020 - 11:05 PM)

Oh, Wicked Cool Toys got the Halo toy license. This is a big year for Jazwares

@  Steevy Maximus : (17 February 2020 - 07:02 PM)

iTunes/Apple TV has the complete Cowboy Bebop series for just $5!

@  fourteenwings : (17 February 2020 - 12:41 AM)

The Samsung Galaxy B-TOOM!

@  Paladin : (16 February 2020 - 07:20 PM)

business is booming.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 February 2020 - 06:49 PM)

SAmsung has you covered. Exploding phones.

@  Patch : (16 February 2020 - 05:21 PM)

Modern problems require modern solutions.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (16 February 2020 - 05:21 PM)

Japan seems to have a tradition of murder things where cellphones facilitate the killing instead. Like King's Game and Doubt.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 February 2020 - 05:17 PM)

Or there's just conveniently no reception, or all of their phones are dead at the same time. Or they're just stupid and forget about them.

@  Patch : (16 February 2020 - 04:41 PM)

Now the slasher villain has to go and knock over the nearest cell tower before butchering horny teenagers.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 February 2020 - 03:54 PM)

Think of all the horror and mystery movies that involve the bad guys cutting the phone line. Now think about how many people don't even have a land line to cut anymore.

@  Telly : (16 February 2020 - 03:47 PM)

its like that scene in commando. the bad guy has to get to a phone to call the big bad to tell him arnold isnt on the plane. that wouldnt happen today

@  Rycochet : (16 February 2020 - 03:18 PM)

Watching early episodes of the x-files will make you feel super old once you start to notice the techology they use, and the technology they lack.

@  Maximus Ambus : (16 February 2020 - 01:00 PM)

This guy.

@  Roddie Luver : (15 February 2020 - 10:55 PM)

Hey

@  Kalidor : (14 February 2020 - 03:01 PM)

The ones that get me are the "Uploaded 12 years ago" ones

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 February 2020 - 02:49 PM)

Makes you feel old, don't it?

@  Maximus Ambus : (14 February 2020 - 02:38 PM)

While browsing Youtube vids I read these comments: 'The X Files is such an underrated show' and another 'Brent Spiner is a underrated actor' I want to punch something.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 February 2020 - 12:16 PM)

Besides: cupid freaks me out. "Find someone to love, or I'll SHOOT YOU".

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 February 2020 - 12:11 PM)

It's just the day before Cheap Chocolate Day.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 February 2020 - 12:08 PM)

Meh, just more game time.

@  Paladin : (14 February 2020 - 10:55 AM)

Valentine's day. Bummer.

@  Otaku : (14 February 2020 - 10:41 AM)

So is that an occasion for congratulations or condolences, Telly?  I see it as a good thing, but that is a matter of personal preference; easier for me to keep straight who is who when the names don't change. XP

@  Telly : (14 February 2020 - 12:48 AM)

damn. ive been going by "telly" on here for nearly 14 years...

@  TM2-Megatron : (11 February 2020 - 08:06 PM)

I've seen it. It didn't really deliver on the title

@  Paladin : (11 February 2020 - 05:28 PM)

we don't need to see that. we're living it.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 February 2020 - 03:42 PM)

Anyone seen an old British movie called 'The Earth dies screaming' it's like a Doctor Who serial minus the Doctor.

@  TriBlurr : (09 February 2020 - 11:58 AM)

Needs more zone defense. Call Scrapper

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 February 2020 - 11:29 AM)

MORE POINTS FOR BLITZWING!

@  Donocropolis : (09 February 2020 - 09:33 AM)

MP-7 Thundercracker recovers....he's at the 40....the 20....AND HE SCORES!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (08 February 2020 - 10:37 PM)

Reserved for Masterpiece Kup.

@  Sabrblade : (08 February 2020 - 09:49 PM)

MP-10 Convoy redecoed.

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 February 2020 - 06:56 AM)

MP-9 Rodimus self-destructed.

@  Nevermore : (08 February 2020 - 06:51 AM)

MP-5 Megatron removed.

Photo

The NEW Ghostbusters

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
56 replies to this topic

#41 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36574 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:01 PM

HIGHLIGHT to view:
Well, I was right about Ortiz, looks like she'll be back before issue 10, seem like we might be up to officially six NY Ghostbusters

Cover poster for the next arc (9-12 w/Minor spoiler mention above):

http://danschoening....-DAYS-384795415

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#42 Creature SH

Creature SH

Condimented

• Supporter
  • 6133 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:55 PM

That cover has a Krampus next to an evil Saint Nicolas. I'm so happy!

j1GI7Gi.gif

#43 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36574 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE(LBD @ Jul 6 2013, 12:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wait, I thought Janine and Louis were an item? In the movie version, at least; isn't that what the comics are based on, rather than the cartoon?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

The comic takes place about the mid-nineties, a couple of years after Ghostbusters The Video Game. She wasn't in a relationship with Louis there, and there is about 5 years between it and GB2, so a lot could have happened between then and now for them to not be together.

Okay, quoting this since its relevant again: Mass Hysteria; the Current Arc now in part 3 brings back both Dana (who looks really ugly here thanks to her block jaw) and today's issue brings back Lewis. And my god... this was wonderful. This issue was technically a slow one since about 2/3s of it is spent on Louis and explaining what's been up since we last seen him. And the best part, is that they wonderfully capture his voice. His scene in the bar with how he just rambles on with no filter at all... just so completely perfect.

Also we have Eduardo now working at Ray's Occult; which also gives us two easter eggs: The Bird of Kildarby and oddly, the "four saints" painting from the end of GB2, odd since in GBTG they stated that it reverted back into being Vigo after the slime wore off.

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

#44 Creature SH

Creature SH

Condimented

• Supporter
  • 6133 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE(LBD @ Jul 6 2013, 12:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wait, I thought Janine and Louis were an item? In the movie version, at least; isn't that what the comics are based on, rather than the cartoon?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

The comic takes place about the mid-nineties, a couple of years after Ghostbusters The Video Game. She wasn't in a relationship with Louis there, and there is about 5 years between it and GB2, so a lot could have happened between then and now for them to not be together.

Okay, quoting this since its relevant again: Mass Hysteria; the Current Arc now in part 3 brings back both Dana (who looks really ugly here thanks to her block jaw) and today's issue brings back Lewis. And my god... this was wonderful. This issue was technically a slow one since about 2/3s of it is spent on Louis and explaining what's been up since we last seen him. And the best part, is that they wonderfully capture his voice. His scene in the bar with how he just rambles on with no filter at all... just so completely perfect.

Also we have Eduardo now working at Ray's Occult; which also gives us two easter eggs: The Bird of Kildarby and oddly, the "four saints" painting from the end of GB2, odd since in GBTG they stated that it reverted back into being Vigo after the slime wore off.

Maybe they had a reproduction made from photos?

j1GI7Gi.gif

#45 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36574 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:49 PM

#15 was definitely Schoening's biggest use of Easter eggs in a while.

The Wild and Crazy Guys, a photo with the Blues Brothers, Eugene Levy playing Sherman Tully from a deleted Ghostbusters II scene, the Aykroyd and Murray bums from the deleted Ghostbusters scene, Helen Shreck the newslady from "Egon on the Rampage", whatever the heck John Candy character he's supposed to be in the background at the bar, an Imp from "Janine's Day Off" in the bag of Wise potato chips, and I don't know for sure, but if there isn't a Strange Brew reference somewhere in the Louis/bar sequence then Schoening missed a rare opportunity.

I don't talk about this book much because it's so consistently goof there just isn't much to say on a month to month basis.

Loved the ending, though, with all 9 Ghostbusters assembled for the first time in the comic.  Ought to be good.

One other I found, at the bottom of the Helen Shreck panel, the line in the news ticker, is Egon's comments about the Fire House from the first movie.

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

#46 D Immortalis

D Immortalis

I've gotta make the world know my name...

• Citizen
  • 3794 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:19 PM

another easter egg:

a flier in the background of one of the pages says: "Learn Basic English fast and easy the ZISKEY Method"

Russel Ziskey was the name of Harold Ramis' character in STRIPES...who taught a learning english course pre-army. =]

Also, in the bar, theres a neon sign that says "Its Milla Time" and it does look like Louis is drinking an Elsinore brew. And in the panel where Louis is fixing his glasses, behind him is the Elsinore castle logo.

Edited by D Immortalis, 30 April 2014 - 11:26 PM.

_+-=-+DAEMON IMMORTALIS+-=-+_

Day One is over, The Future's approaching
The embers are glowing, we're spreading the ash

#47 Joker

Joker

Predacon_Cryotek indeed.

• Supporter
  • 2084 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 11:08 AM

So this series is over now. I'm really saddened to see it go. This more then any other was the book I was going to the store to get each month. I remain hopeful that this book will come back in some way or form. More then anything I'd love to see a cartoon done in this style but of course that's never gonna happen. Anyways, I hope the rest of you enjoyed this series as much as I did.

#48 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36574 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 11:43 AM

So this series is over now. I'm really saddened to see it go. This more then any other was the book I was going to the store to get each month. I remain hopeful that this book will come back in some way or form. More then anything I'd love to see a cartoon done in this style but of course that's never gonna happen. Anyways, I hope the rest of you enjoyed this series as much as I did.

We're apparently getting a Crossover with TMNT which is being done by the Ghostbusters team, so yeah we are still getting something.

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

#49 Joker

Joker

Predacon_Cryotek indeed.

• Supporter
  • 2084 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:19 PM

Yeah I really need to get that. Starts next month I think?

#50 M Virion

M Virion

Sure-footed, newly free

• Retired Staff
  • 18976 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 11:43 PM

Oh, its the same team still? I need to make sure I do get that in that case - wasn't planning on having it in my subscriptions since I was so bummed about losing this series.

#51 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36574 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 12:28 AM

Oh, its the same team still? I need to make sure I do get that in that case - wasn't planning on having it in my subscriptions since I was so bummed about losing this series.

Well one at least, Dan Schoening posted a journal on DA about how he couldn't do his annual "13 ghosts" series due to how much work is going on with the the crossover.

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

#52 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 18734 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 03:14 AM

It's over? That sucks. Guess it might be good to go for the collections now...

...they ARE collected, right?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

#53 Joker

Joker

Predacon_Cryotek indeed.

• Supporter
  • 2084 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:29 AM

I really want to know if they're planning a Total Containment vol 2. 

#54 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36574 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 03:18 PM

Yeah I really need to get that. Starts next month I think?

Issue 1 came out today. Not read it yet though. This is more a Turtles Comic then a GB one, as they get the most screen time in this issue. Hopefully we get a better balance now that the teams have met up.

Edited by Rhapsody, 22 October 2014 - 03:31 PM.

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

#55 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 9299 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:03 AM

Thread Necromancahhhhh--*Gets Sucked into a Trap*

Anyhoo, We are getting Issue two of the Ghostbusters: Get Real series today. If I remember right the main villain was in an episode of the RGB show. Anyhoo first issue had the Comic GB's and the Cartoon GB's meet each other with some continuity taken from the last GB & TMNT crossover coming into play. I just saw the preview for Issue two and well we're heading to a more mid to late Ninetys era next.....

Switch code: SW-6538-7795-1972

#56 (Deactivated) BillBarclay

(Deactivated) BillBarclay
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:05 PM

#57 Confuzor

Confuzor

They put em in Smash Bros!!!!

• Supporter
  • 8106 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 12:21 AM

Ghostbusters International #1, the latest iteration of the GB ongoing comic was just released.  I'm kind of surprised the crossovers with both the cartoon  guys and the Ninja Turtles are still canon. It seems like the American Roadtrip story arc really inspired the creative team to extend past NY. The one-page story by Agent Ortiz (yay, she's still around!) about a Ghost Gator haunt in Jacksonville was a fun way to elaborate on the smaller  out-of-town incidents that don't dictate a whole story.

On a side note, I got Total Containment part 1 as a Christmas gift and plowed through it. I had missed most of it due to my local comic shot having a feud with Diamond (ended up making him close shop) and I jumped back on board for the "New" rebranding.  I was glad to finally have some context for the Ghost Smashers and see the aforementioned road trip.