Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Otaku : (24 October 2020 - 12:08 PM)

Bias from personal experience, but drive-in theaters are nearly extinct.  I grew up near one but it went out of business in the late 80s, and was torn down and replaced with some other business by the early 90s.

@  wonko the sane? : (24 October 2020 - 07:47 AM)

Out here, I mean. Couldn't comment on their popularity in place where they actually exist.

@  wonko the sane? : (24 October 2020 - 06:44 AM)

I wouldn't know. They've only come back into vogue with the social distancing from the plague, and while some places have made an effort to shoestring the places together, it's all largely too distant to be accessible.

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 October 2020 - 09:46 PM)

I'd hate to see ours replaced by condos. They're a great way to spend an evening, whether with family or on a date. And they've never been as common in Canada as the US, so we cna't afford to lose as many

@  wonko the sane? : (23 October 2020 - 09:45 PM)

Largely they were either poorly placed or bought out and torn down to be replaced by something other than over priced short term parking. Mostly condos.

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 October 2020 - 09:14 PM)

I guess your winters are worse, so they have a shorter operating season. Drive-ins in the Toronto area can usually operate until early or mid-December; maybe even into early January if there's no real snowfall, and open up again sometime in March.

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 October 2020 - 09:13 PM)

THere's really only 1 left in the entire province?

@  wonko the sane? : (23 October 2020 - 09:03 PM)

Ha! It's probably faster for me to drive to your drive in than to make my way to the only one left in quebec.

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 October 2020 - 06:57 PM)

Fortunately we still have a drive-in theatre that's exempt from the closures about a 10 minute drive away

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 October 2020 - 06:57 PM)

Theatres around here are closed again for at least another couple weeks (wouldn't be surprised if it's extended by another month or so, either), but that's what they've been doing here as well. Playing the old classics

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 October 2020 - 02:36 PM)

I got Earthrise Megatron, he's better then I thought he'd be though Netflix Megatron is still tops.

@  Bass X0 : (23 October 2020 - 10:44 AM)

The original Rocky movie is also showing. May go next weekend. That’s how you get people back in the theatres - show the old classics every adult loves.

@  wonko the sane? : (23 October 2020 - 10:35 AM)

They did a limited run showing of it up here too, back when the theaters were open... red zones suck.

@  Bass X0 : (23 October 2020 - 10:13 AM)

The original Back To The Future is showing in the Odeon in the UK now. I think I will go see it tomorrow.

@  Donocropolis : (23 October 2020 - 05:51 AM)

It was either the Bumblebee or Cliffjumper. Can't remember the colors.

@  Kalidor : (22 October 2020 - 06:43 PM)

What did it look like?

@  Donocropolis : (22 October 2020 - 01:34 PM)

I swear I remember getting the Happymeal G1 minibot as a child, but I live 2.5 hours from St. Louis, which is the only place they apparently came out. It's possible that I got it on a family vacation, though, as we went to Six Flags pretty often.

@  ▲ndrusi : (22 October 2020 - 01:07 PM)

Conversely, I had the Gobot helicopter from Wendy's and I was absolutely convinced it was an actual Transformer.

@  Donocropolis : (22 October 2020 - 08:13 AM)

I used to rubber-band Hot-Wheels style construction vehicles together and pretend it was Devestator.

@  Bass X0 : (21 October 2020 - 05:26 PM)

When I was about four years old, my parents bought me Bugbite and tried to tell me it was Bumblebee. I was not yet a fan of Transformers, but I knew that wasn't Bumblebee. I didn't even have the real Bumblebee at that time.

@  Maximus Ambus : (21 October 2020 - 01:39 PM)

It would come with two soundtracks: the eighties classic and one featuring dubstep and the VAs are popular Youtubers.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 October 2020 - 12:13 PM)

But yeah, reading it: I came off as a bit of an ass.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 October 2020 - 11:52 AM)

I just couldn't think of worse music than disco...

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 October 2020 - 11:35 AM)

What were you trying to imply with the mocking sarcasm, though? Nobody suggested that '80s music was any more "of it's time" than '70s music.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 October 2020 - 11:18 AM)

I said that disco wouldn't fare much better with the same context: media is property of it's time; biases, culture and limitations are all inherent in that. Some stuff can be brought forward because of an inherently timeless nature or the simplicity with which it was made but lots of media is a time capsule of the period of when it was made.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 October 2020 - 08:46 AM)

I'm not sure what you're trying to imply, or what you even think I said.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 October 2020 - 08:11 AM)

Yeah, cause disco would make the transition so much better...

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 October 2020 - 07:17 AM)

I feel the '80s music would be jarring when running over current-day CGI instead of well, '80s visuals.

@  Maximus Ambus : (21 October 2020 - 05:39 AM)

Not a remake, reanimated scene for scene, like that fan vid titled they were always real to me.

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 October 2020 - 04:37 AM)

Because we need more remakes these days.

@  Maximus Ambus : (21 October 2020 - 01:36 AM)

Be a hoot if these Studio Series 86 toys led to Transformers The Move Reanimated like Pokemon Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution.

@  Paladin : (20 October 2020 - 05:15 PM)

only takes three pounds to be a cereal killer.

@  Kalidor : (20 October 2020 - 04:54 PM)

5 pounds is a lot of cereal! /deadpan

@  Maximus Ambus : (20 October 2020 - 02:32 PM)

Seems the area near my work place is due to be gentrified. Electric car ports, fifty pound haircuts and five pound bowls of cereal in breakfast cafes I'll bet.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 October 2020 - 11:31 PM)

@ZakuConvoy Lumines Electric Symphony. So still halfway interesting, and it’ll play on the PS TV

@  Demovere Xeno : (19 October 2020 - 10:36 PM)

@Maximus: I paired the Battle Patrol with Ironworks and they look good together, though the Off Road Patrol would probably fit best as vehicles you're likely to find at a construction site.

@  ZakuConvoy : (19 October 2020 - 09:39 PM)

So...was it something like Tearaway or Gravity Rush or was it just a FIFA or a Madden?

@  wonko the sane? : (19 October 2020 - 08:26 PM)

Sounds like they need to clean more often.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 October 2020 - 06:51 PM)

From the depths of Walmart's backroom comes...a Playstation Vita game in 2020?

@  Telly : (19 October 2020 - 02:20 PM)

and my bow

@  Donocropolis : (19 October 2020 - 11:49 AM)

<GIMLI> And my axe! </GIMLI>

@  Donocropolis : (19 October 2020 - 11:47 AM)

He's got my vote!

@  wonko the sane? : (19 October 2020 - 11:26 AM)

Mayor?

@  Maximus Ambus : (19 October 2020 - 07:38 AM)

Greasepit for the Sports Car Patrol, Airwave for the Airstrike Patrol, Hot House for the Rescue Patrol, Ironworks for ????

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 October 2020 - 04:09 AM)

My local Walmart FINALLY got a restock of Generations during the early September reset and got a big shipment of Earthrise wave 1 (the first I’d seen around here). IF, and that’s a big IF, they restock I’m expecting a bunch of wave 3. Or wave 2. But we’ll be skipping one of those waves.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 October 2020 - 04:08 AM)

Barricade hanging around

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 October 2020 - 04:08 AM)

Brunt barely appeared here at all, wave 3 was pretty much skipped for a big load of wave 4, with Impactor and

@  wonko the sane? : (18 October 2020 - 10:13 PM)

Brunt is shelfwarming around me. One walmart moved the whole lot of them off to a side shelf, but couldn't be added to liquidate them.

@  unluckiness : (18 October 2020 - 09:01 PM)

Ironworks is a plague. No idea if it was overproduced or if nobody wants it but thing's clogging shelves.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (18 October 2020 - 04:23 PM)

My walmart the few times I go in will be lucky to have two or three transformers period.

Photo

The NEW Ghostbusters

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
56 replies to this topic

#41 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36876 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:01 PM

HIGHLIGHT to view:
Well, I was right about Ortiz, looks like she'll be back before issue 10, seem like we might be up to officially six NY Ghostbusters

Cover poster for the next arc (9-12 w/Minor spoiler mention above):

http://danschoening....-DAYS-384795415

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#42 Creature SH

Creature SH

Condimented

• Supporter
  • 6133 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:55 PM

That cover has a Krampus next to an evil Saint Nicolas. I'm so happy!

j1GI7Gi.gif

#43 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36876 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE(LBD @ Jul 6 2013, 12:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wait, I thought Janine and Louis were an item? In the movie version, at least; isn't that what the comics are based on, rather than the cartoon?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

The comic takes place about the mid-nineties, a couple of years after Ghostbusters The Video Game. She wasn't in a relationship with Louis there, and there is about 5 years between it and GB2, so a lot could have happened between then and now for them to not be together.

Okay, quoting this since its relevant again: Mass Hysteria; the Current Arc now in part 3 brings back both Dana (who looks really ugly here thanks to her block jaw) and today's issue brings back Lewis. And my god... this was wonderful. This issue was technically a slow one since about 2/3s of it is spent on Louis and explaining what's been up since we last seen him. And the best part, is that they wonderfully capture his voice. His scene in the bar with how he just rambles on with no filter at all... just so completely perfect.

Also we have Eduardo now working at Ray's Occult; which also gives us two easter eggs: The Bird of Kildarby and oddly, the "four saints" painting from the end of GB2, odd since in GBTG they stated that it reverted back into being Vigo after the slime wore off.

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

#44 Creature SH

Creature SH

Condimented

• Supporter
  • 6133 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE(LBD @ Jul 6 2013, 12:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wait, I thought Janine and Louis were an item? In the movie version, at least; isn't that what the comics are based on, rather than the cartoon?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

The comic takes place about the mid-nineties, a couple of years after Ghostbusters The Video Game. She wasn't in a relationship with Louis there, and there is about 5 years between it and GB2, so a lot could have happened between then and now for them to not be together.

Okay, quoting this since its relevant again: Mass Hysteria; the Current Arc now in part 3 brings back both Dana (who looks really ugly here thanks to her block jaw) and today's issue brings back Lewis. And my god... this was wonderful. This issue was technically a slow one since about 2/3s of it is spent on Louis and explaining what's been up since we last seen him. And the best part, is that they wonderfully capture his voice. His scene in the bar with how he just rambles on with no filter at all... just so completely perfect.

Also we have Eduardo now working at Ray's Occult; which also gives us two easter eggs: The Bird of Kildarby and oddly, the "four saints" painting from the end of GB2, odd since in GBTG they stated that it reverted back into being Vigo after the slime wore off.

Maybe they had a reproduction made from photos?

j1GI7Gi.gif

#45 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36876 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:49 PM

#15 was definitely Schoening's biggest use of Easter eggs in a while.

The Wild and Crazy Guys, a photo with the Blues Brothers, Eugene Levy playing Sherman Tully from a deleted Ghostbusters II scene, the Aykroyd and Murray bums from the deleted Ghostbusters scene, Helen Shreck the newslady from "Egon on the Rampage", whatever the heck John Candy character he's supposed to be in the background at the bar, an Imp from "Janine's Day Off" in the bag of Wise potato chips, and I don't know for sure, but if there isn't a Strange Brew reference somewhere in the Louis/bar sequence then Schoening missed a rare opportunity.

I don't talk about this book much because it's so consistently goof there just isn't much to say on a month to month basis.

Loved the ending, though, with all 9 Ghostbusters assembled for the first time in the comic.  Ought to be good.

One other I found, at the bottom of the Helen Shreck panel, the line in the news ticker, is Egon's comments about the Fire House from the first movie.

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

#46 D Immortalis

D Immortalis

I've gotta make the world know my name...

• Citizen
  • 3918 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:19 PM

another easter egg:

a flier in the background of one of the pages says: "Learn Basic English fast and easy the ZISKEY Method"

Russel Ziskey was the name of Harold Ramis' character in STRIPES...who taught a learning english course pre-army. =]

Also, in the bar, theres a neon sign that says "Its Milla Time" and it does look like Louis is drinking an Elsinore brew. And in the panel where Louis is fixing his glasses, behind him is the Elsinore castle logo.

Edited by D Immortalis, 30 April 2014 - 11:26 PM.

_+-=-+DAEMON IMMORTALIS+-=-+_

I see behind a thousand lies that you try to hide

I bleed inside: you left your knife but I'm still alive
I...love the way you kill me
I love the way you watch me die

Life or death a bullet to the chest
I'd do it again...
Just when I think I've cut you out
You come with open arms to drag me down

#47 Joker

Joker

Predacon_Cryotek indeed.

• Supporter
  • 2108 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 11:08 AM

So this series is over now. I'm really saddened to see it go. This more then any other was the book I was going to the store to get each month. I remain hopeful that this book will come back in some way or form. More then anything I'd love to see a cartoon done in this style but of course that's never gonna happen. Anyways, I hope the rest of you enjoyed this series as much as I did.

#48 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36876 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 11:43 AM

So this series is over now. I'm really saddened to see it go. This more then any other was the book I was going to the store to get each month. I remain hopeful that this book will come back in some way or form. More then anything I'd love to see a cartoon done in this style but of course that's never gonna happen. Anyways, I hope the rest of you enjoyed this series as much as I did.

We're apparently getting a Crossover with TMNT which is being done by the Ghostbusters team, so yeah we are still getting something.

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

#49 Joker

Joker

Predacon_Cryotek indeed.

• Supporter
  • 2108 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:19 PM

Yeah I really need to get that. Starts next month I think?

#50 M Virion

M Virion

Absurd Behavior

• Retired Staff
  • 19400 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 11:43 PM

Oh, its the same team still? I need to make sure I do get that in that case - wasn't planning on having it in my subscriptions since I was so bummed about losing this series.

#51 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36876 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 12:28 AM

Oh, its the same team still? I need to make sure I do get that in that case - wasn't planning on having it in my subscriptions since I was so bummed about losing this series.

Well one at least, Dan Schoening posted a journal on DA about how he couldn't do his annual "13 ghosts" series due to how much work is going on with the the crossover.

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

#52 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 18950 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 03:14 AM

It's over? That sucks. Guess it might be good to go for the collections now...

...they ARE collected, right?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

#53 Joker

Joker

Predacon_Cryotek indeed.

• Supporter
  • 2108 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:29 AM

I really want to know if they're planning a Total Containment vol 2. 

#54 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36876 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 03:18 PM

Yeah I really need to get that. Starts next month I think?

Issue 1 came out today. Not read it yet though. This is more a Turtles Comic then a GB one, as they get the most screen time in this issue. Hopefully we get a better balance now that the teams have met up.

Edited by Rhapsody, 22 October 2014 - 03:31 PM.

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

#55 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 9716 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:03 AM

Thread Necromancahhhhh--*Gets Sucked into a Trap*

Anyhoo, We are getting Issue two of the Ghostbusters: Get Real series today. If I remember right the main villain was in an episode of the RGB show. Anyhoo first issue had the Comic GB's and the Cartoon GB's meet each other with some continuity taken from the last GB & TMNT crossover coming into play. I just saw the preview for Issue two and well we're heading to a more mid to late Ninetys era next.....

Switch code: SW-6538-7795-1972

#56 (Deactivated) BillBarclay

(Deactivated) BillBarclay
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:05 PM

#57 Confuzor

Confuzor

They put em in Smash Bros!!!!

• Supporter
  • 8329 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 12:21 AM

Ghostbusters International #1, the latest iteration of the GB ongoing comic was just released.  I'm kind of surprised the crossovers with both the cartoon  guys and the Ninja Turtles are still canon. It seems like the American Roadtrip story arc really inspired the creative team to extend past NY. The one-page story by Agent Ortiz (yay, she's still around!) about a Ghost Gator haunt in Jacksonville was a fun way to elaborate on the smaller  out-of-town incidents that don't dictate a whole story.

On a side note, I got Total Containment part 1 as a Christmas gift and plowed through it. I had missed most of it due to my local comic shot having a feud with Diamond (ended up making him close shop) and I jumped back on board for the "New" rebranding.  I was glad to finally have some context for the Ghost Smashers and see the aforementioned road trip.