Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Darth Gonzo : (24 February 2020 - 04:47 AM)

I think Broadside should be the next Titan Class figure.

@  wonko the sane? : (23 February 2020 - 09:38 PM)

I tan nicely! But also have a family history of cancer... so... yeah, pasty for me it is.

@  Otaku : (23 February 2020 - 04:22 PM)

I really do begin to get sunburned after about 5 minutes of direct exposure, nowadays.  Side effect of already being pasty then going on a particular medication.  Yay?

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 February 2020 - 01:36 PM)

It makes me burn. Accursed daystar.

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 February 2020 - 01:33 PM)

Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy....

@  Vexwing : (22 February 2020 - 03:26 AM)

I watched L.I.L.Y.Cat on there a while back, it was surprisingly good.

@  Steevy Maximus : (21 February 2020 - 08:47 PM)

@Dekafox, no DTP, but they DO have LILY Cat ;)

@  CORVUS : (21 February 2020 - 08:46 PM)

For me, it's "chocolate therapy".

@  wonko the sane? : (21 February 2020 - 08:32 PM)

Tonight dough owns my soul.

@  CORVUS : (21 February 2020 - 07:28 PM)

Stupid, delicious Ben & Jerry's.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (21 February 2020 - 06:42 PM)

Ahh. I remember watching Bubblegum Crisis 2020 or whatever.

@  Dekafox : (21 February 2020 - 06:25 PM)

Next you'll say they have Dominion Tank Police and L.I.L.Y.Cat

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 February 2020 - 06:06 PM)

Bubblegum Crisis, going by several shouts down.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (21 February 2020 - 05:38 PM)

BGC?

@  Bass X0 : (21 February 2020 - 02:33 PM)

Enjoy the fudgy icing of this Hostess Cup Cake!

@  Telly : (21 February 2020 - 02:31 PM)

harlock is on tubi as well. not dubbed though :(

@  Rhinox42 : (21 February 2020 - 01:19 PM)

Blugh, the english dub of BGC is atrocious.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 February 2020 - 07:02 AM)

I might need to update my software, or they face regional limitations, cause I found no evidence of either.

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 February 2020 - 10:31 PM)

DUDE! Starcom and COPS are on Tubi too!

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 February 2020 - 09:29 PM)

Spiffy! The english dub of Bubblegum Crisis on Tubi. It's gotten so hard to find these oldies on modern streaming services.

@  Nevermore : (20 February 2020 - 08:44 PM)

And now I know and now I know and now I know that you can hear me, know that you can hear me, know that you can hear me.

@  Nevermore : (20 February 2020 - 08:31 PM)

Oh, oh, people can you hear me? People can you hear me? People can you hear me?

@  Echowarrior : (20 February 2020 - 06:39 PM)

Let me go-o-o-o!

@  Telly : (20 February 2020 - 05:41 PM)

Galileo Galileo!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (20 February 2020 - 05:36 PM)

Very very fright-ning me!

@  Sabrblade : (20 February 2020 - 04:02 PM)

*thunder and lightning*

@  ▲ndrusi : (20 February 2020 - 03:46 PM)

Ah, ah, ah!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (20 February 2020 - 03:33 PM)

Already did. It didn't take long.

@  Dekafox : (19 February 2020 - 06:14 PM)

Count Zero?

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 February 2020 - 03:53 PM)

Oh boy, here we go.

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:34 PM)

Or do Japan's cultural values vary depending on exactly who you're trying to shut down?

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:33 PM)

Could it be that, perhaps, these different cultural values might lead to a different approach seeming appropriate?

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:32 PM)

Hm. Back when we were arguing about the Legends comic, I seem to recall being repeatedly told that Japan had different cultural values than the US (and therefore anyone who had a problem with anything at all was wrong to voice that opinion ever).

@  fourteenwings : (19 February 2020 - 07:23 AM)

Plus, as much as I hate to admit it, every single anime character is built to suit the audience's tastes so they buy more merch/do other things that allow $$$ to flow in the production committees direction, so the authenticity is certainly not for representation's sake.

@  fourteenwings : (19 February 2020 - 07:18 AM)

Both those anime air at midnight and are aimed at a very specific audience in a whole other media landscape. Major projects have press releases about almost everything, and there are groups just waiting to pat anybody on the back for doing what they want (GLAAD, HRC, etc)

@  B-Fox : (19 February 2020 - 03:16 AM)

It's funny that a friggin' anime about zombie idols and an anime about a school of anthropomorphic animals can have really positive trans characters WITHOUT a press release about their inclusion in the series prior to the episodes airing or having the creators announcing it on social media and patting themselves on the back for doing a thing.

@  TriBlurr : (18 February 2020 - 10:26 PM)

Vegan meat needs bacon

@  Paladin : (18 February 2020 - 08:43 PM)

vegan meat must taste delicious. they're grass-fed and regularly exercised....

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 06:57 PM)

Vegans are better than kids if you don't talk to them. They'll keep the lawn trimmed anyway.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 February 2020 - 06:02 PM)

Do you want vegans? Because that's how you get vegans.

@  CORVUS : (18 February 2020 - 04:33 PM)

Hook up your sprinkler system to a canister of healthy organic carrot-juice. The kids won't be able to get off your lawn fast enough.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 February 2020 - 03:59 PM)

Just use the hose.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 03:52 PM)

Ask bing. It'll be a FAR more effective answer.

@  TrnsfrmGod : (18 February 2020 - 03:26 PM)

Google, how do I get those durned kids off my lawn?

@  TrnsfrmGod : (18 February 2020 - 03:26 PM)

Please ignore.  Old man here apparently doesn't know the difference between the "Search" field and the "Shoutbox" field.

Also doesn't know how to delete from the shoutbox

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 07:33 AM)

Huhn. Penny arcade was right, the division 2 is literally 3 dollars...

@  Steevy Maximus : (17 February 2020 - 11:05 PM)

Oh, Wicked Cool Toys got the Halo toy license. This is a big year for Jazwares

@  Steevy Maximus : (17 February 2020 - 07:02 PM)

iTunes/Apple TV has the complete Cowboy Bebop series for just $5!

@  fourteenwings : (17 February 2020 - 12:41 AM)

The Samsung Galaxy B-TOOM!

@  Paladin : (16 February 2020 - 07:20 PM)

business is booming.

Photo
- - - - -

S3, Ep12: "Games Ponies Play"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
100 replies to this topic

#61 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 39764 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:54 PM

QUOTE(Sjogre @ Feb 10 2013, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Zamuel @ Feb 10 2013, 08:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm still disappointed we didn't get to see the invitation letter. While there's valid arguments why Spike wouldn't need to come, there's still the matter of him getting passed over. I can see Cadance making a point of trying to make it up to him but there was never a scene where she called herself out on needing to do so.

I don't know about an in-story justification, but plot-wise, Cadance was taking Spike's position of trying to get Twilight to calm down. The difference being that Twilight actually listened to Cadance.

That was a pretty basic breathing technique. I wonder why Twilight hadn't picked one up, or at least used one, before. Maybe she only tries to calm down when her old babysitter makes her? Still, that really made Twilight look like she was being treated as child. It makes sense given their relationship, but it also highlighted Twilight's immaturity to me.

I don't know about you but I liked seeing this side of their relationship. Cadance is fun and all, but she's still an authority figure. She is in a position to treat Twilight like a child.

QUOTE(Fnu Aw @ Feb 10 2013, 12:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Am I the only one who wants the Equestria Games to be the one event where everything goes perfectly? Seriously. The crystal ponies endured an unspecified amount of time under the rule of a brutal tyrant, and when he finally got overthrown they couldn't even enjoy it because they all ended up banished for 1000 years. Getting to host the Equestria Games is their consolation prize, and they almost lost out on that thanks to the stupidity of some outsiders.

Making a big event like that go according to plan involves busting your hump and dealing with a thousand unforeseen events. Just showing the dirty work involved it making it go off would have plenty of entertainment value.

Works for me. I love seeing the work that takes place behind the scenes of big events. What happens backstage is just as interesting as what happens onstage to me.

QUOTE(Fnu Aw @ Feb 10 2013, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Fero McPigletron @ Feb 10 2013, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The inspector basing her choice on the false one's experience doesn't really add up because it wasn't like the Mane 6 would welcome anypony in the same way to the Crystal place. They only treated her well because they thought she was someone else.

I think the idea is that the false inspector didn't do anything that the inspector is supposed to do. She went way off script, forcing the manes to go way off script as well, and they managed to improvise.

It was a clumsy resolution to be sure.

I think that it would have worked better if they had shown random crystal ponies treating Mistress Harshwhinny well, instead of having her being ignored.

That would have been a much better story. It would hae even been heartwarming to see the crystal ponies earn this victory for themselves.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#62 Sjogre

Sjogre
  • Citizen
  • 1350 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:06 PM

QUOTE(Fnu Aw @ Feb 10 2013, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm still disappointed we didn't get to see the invitation letter. While there's valid arguments why Spike wouldn't need to come, there's still the matter of him getting passed over. I can see Cadance making a point of trying to make it up to him but there was never a scene where she called herself out on needing to do so.

I don't know about an in-story justification, but plot-wise, Cadance was taking Spike's position of trying to get Twilight to calm down. The difference being that Twilight actually listened to Cadance.

That was a pretty basic breathing technique. I wonder why Twilight hadn't picked one up, or at least used one, before. Maybe she only tries to calm down when her old babysitter makes her? Still, that really made Twilight look like she was being treated as child. It makes sense given their relationship, but it also highlighted Twilight's immaturity to me.

I don't know about you but I liked seeing this side of their relationship. Cadance is fun and all, but she's still an authority figure. She is in a position to treat Twilight like a child.

Oh, I liked it, but it was interesting to me that Cadance has gotten Twilight to calm down when no one else has. Spike gets ignored, her friends tend to expect her to calm herself down, and Princess Celestia tends to make Twilight even more anxious. Most attempts to make Twilight calm down make things worse, actually.

Cadance is the only pony that has made Twilight relax. I think that's important that Cadance can get Twilight to calm down with just with her presence. I think that Cadance's ability to comfort others is why she was sent to the Empire in the first place, to help the crystal ponies recover from the trauma of King Sombra's rule.
Unfortunately, fools are often planproof.

#63 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8902 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

QUOTE(Fnu Aw @ Feb 10 2013, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The inspector basing her choice on the false one's experience doesn't really add up because it wasn't like the Mane 6 would welcome anypony in the same way to the Crystal place. They only treated her well because they thought she was someone else.

I think the idea is that the false inspector didn't do anything that the inspector is supposed to do. She went way off script, forcing the manes to go way off script as well, and they managed to improvise.

It was a clumsy resolution to be sure.

I think that it would have worked better if they had shown random crystal ponies treating Mistress Harshwhinny well, instead of having her being ignored.

That would have been a much better story. It would hae even been heartwarming to see the crystal ponies earn this victory for themselves.

I concur. That would have been a more decent lesson.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#64 Sailor Unicron

Sailor Unicron
  • Citizen
  • 3551 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE(Sjogre @ Feb 10 2013, 07:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Fnu Aw @ Feb 10 2013, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, I liked it, but it was interesting to me that Cadance has gotten Twilight to calm down when no one else has. Spike gets ignored, her friends tend to expect her to calm herself down, and Princess Celestia tends to make Twilight even more anxious. Most attempts to make Twilight calm down make things worse, actually.

Cadance is the only pony that has made Twilight relax. I think that's important that Cadance can get Twilight to calm down with just with her presence. I think that Cadance's ability to comfort others is why she was sent to the Empire in the first place, to help the crystal ponies recover from the trauma of King Sombra's rule.

It may also be a case of Twilight seeing Cadance as more of an older sister. She probably sees Spike as more o fa younger brother, and Celestia as an idea of perfection to work towards. As for her friends not being able to help much, well, she's known Cadance a lot longer than she's known the other five.
You are more than flesh and bone / Can't you see, you're something beautiful...you gotta believe that you are / Someone worth dying for

God's not dead!

In 1996: "TRUKK NOT MUNKEY!"; In 2013: "PONEE NOT HUGHMAN!"; in 2014: "TREE NOT CASSUL"; Regardless of the fandom, it all boils down to one thing: "RUINED FOREVA!"

DA account

I got my counter at Jellyneo.net! NaNoWriMo is GO!

#65 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11479 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:21 PM

QUOTE(Zamuel @ Feb 10 2013, 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Watched it. Dash's story seemed weird, really. I didn't feel the emotion or reasons as to why she feels so strongly about the Games in general (not just the Crystal Empire winning the chance to host).

Dash is quite blatantly "The Jock" within the protagonists. Her home town lost a chance to host one of the most prestigious sporting events in the world. Helping the Crystal Empire is basically living her dreams through others.

Which is almost as good as living them yourself.

Almost.
[/moral]

#66 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 39764 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:37 PM

Thoughts on second viewing:

In the first scene we see Berry Punch boarding the train. We saw her on the return trip last episode. Continuity! Wait a minute, we saw her on Spike's first trip too. Did she just nap on the train all day?

Pinkie Pie does get snacky after long train rides. She ran ahead of the others and got herself a cinnamon bun. An added bonus (because I care about these things) is that we get to see another of the Crystal Empire train station's amenities. We saw a gift shop last episode. This time we see a bakery. This place is thriving.

Those crystal fillies are adorable. And they're blank flanks. Time for the Crusaders to form a new chapter.

Some outsider (not a crystal pony) is getting her hair washed in the first spa scene. The Crystal Empire has running water.

Cadance explains mud baths to Rarity. She has no idea who she's talking to.

I love that shot of Pinkie diving into the gak.

When we first see that long list of instructions, the crystal ponies in the shot stop looking crystally.

The Crystal Empire is huge. I don't think those aerial shots are drawn to scale.

Seriously? Fear of high ceilings is a thing?

"Come on, how bad could it be?" "Imagine her hair turned into a porcupine." And Twilight stopped arguing. icon-fire.gif

Twilight walks in to see how things are going and finds Pinkie Pie being insane. Classic comical timing.

Shining Armor's clearly putting his Royal Guard experience to use. He knows how to give orders.

They head back to the train station, and Pinkie Pie gets another cinnamon bun. And no one was working the counter that time. Naughty naughty naughty.

Okay, watching this scene again, Pinkie Pie was definitely being genre savvy there. The look on her face makes it clear that she knows she's just feigning obliviousness.

And we get the clumsy climax. And Pinkie Pie has another cinnamon bun. She's outta control.

Watch the faces during Harshwhinny's turnaround speech. Pinkie Pie knows the logic doesn't quite add up.

Edited by Fnu Aw, 10 February 2013 - 10:49 PM.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#67 Caldwin

Caldwin

Peace!

• Supporter
  • 25302 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:41 PM

That's kinda bad when even Pinkie realises the logic doesn't add up.
PSN = Caldwin

Switch = SW-7457-8143-2029

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#68 pao

pao

Life is a struggle.

• Supporter
  • 858 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:45 PM

QUOTE(Sjogre @ Feb 10 2013, 05:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(pao @ Feb 10 2013, 09:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The same way Olympic cities do it: Massive construction projects, and not having the actual events anywhere near town. We saw in "Wonderbolts Academy" that it's possible to have a floating, solid platform, which would be an ideal place for the presumptive stadium. Events requiring more space can be held on the ground below.

When was there a solid floating platform? The cloud cushion that Rainbow made didn't seem to be the kind of thing that one could walk around on or make easily, and the Academy itself was on a mountain.

Was that a mountain? I thought we saw under it at one point. Very well then, build a new mountain! Simple enough.

#69 Zeel1

Zeel1
  • Citizen
  • 1127 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:38 PM

QUOTE(Caldwin @ Feb 10 2013, 09:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's kinda bad when even Pinkie realises the logic doesn't add up.

I think I'd prefer assuming she listened to RD's story and gave it to them out of sympathy. Maybe Harshwhinny's nicer than her name suggests?

#70 Sailor Unicron

Sailor Unicron
  • Citizen
  • 3551 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:38 PM

QUOTE(Fnu Aw @ Feb 10 2013, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Funnily enough, it is. I couldn't find a specific page talking about it, but google 'Altocelarophobia' and sure enough, it's a genuine phobia of high ceilings.

And we get the clumsy climax. And Pinkie Pie has another cinnamon bun. She's outta control.

Pinkie Pie's actions might annoy me at times, but I completely understand this. If I had the same access to cinnamon buns as she does, I'd have a hard time stopping myself.

Edited by Sailor Unicron, 10 February 2013 - 11:39 PM.

You are more than flesh and bone / Can't you see, you're something beautiful...you gotta believe that you are / Someone worth dying for

God's not dead!

In 1996: "TRUKK NOT MUNKEY!"; In 2013: "PONEE NOT HUGHMAN!"; in 2014: "TREE NOT CASSUL"; Regardless of the fandom, it all boils down to one thing: "RUINED FOREVA!"

DA account

#71 Zeel1

Zeel1
  • Citizen
  • 1127 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:42 PM

Remember that phobias are by definition, irrational...

#72 (Deactivated) Raritydenmark

(Deactivated) Raritydenmark
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:45 AM

The Crystal Empire is huge. I don't think those aerial shots are drawn to scale.

Edited by Raritydenmark, 11 February 2013 - 05:46 AM.

#73 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 39764 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:51 AM

QUOTE(Sailor Unicron @ Feb 10 2013, 11:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Funnily enough, it is. I couldn't find a specific page talking about it, but google 'Altocelarophobia' and sure enough, it's a genuine phobia of high ceilings.

Wow. Good thing she didn't have Bathmophobia or something. That would have been bad. icon-fire.gif

B5ofTKU.jpg

#74 Sailor Unicron

Sailor Unicron
  • Citizen
  • 3551 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

QUOTE(Fnu Aw @ Feb 11 2013, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Sailor Unicron @ Feb 10 2013, 11:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow. Good thing she didn't have Bathmophobia or something. That would have been bad. icon-fire.gif

Yeah, that would make life a bit difficult, especially if you were and Earth Pony.

God's not dead!

DA account

#75 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 39764 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:24 AM

It may have been for the best that they got the wrong pony. That cheer really wasn't all that great.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#76 Zeel1

Zeel1
  • Citizen
  • 1127 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

The choreography was nice, but really, Junior Speedsters probably had better words.

#77 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 39764 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:48 PM

The worst part is that it seems to be the only thing they had planned. icon-fire.gif

B5ofTKU.jpg

#78 Sjogre

Sjogre
  • Citizen
  • 1350 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

Well, they were supposed to have several hours to prepare, and Cadance was supposed to be with them. Still doesn't explain why none of the crystal ponies could help. You'd think that one of the denizens of the host city would be helping greet the inspector. Given that Cadance and Shining Armor have only been there for a month or two, even they probably don't know the city all that well.
Unfortunately, fools are often planproof.

#79 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 39764 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

Apparently every single crystal pony already had a job to do making the city look nice.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#80 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 18110 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

QUOTE(Sjogre @ Feb 13 2013, 01:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, they were supposed to have several hours to prepare, and Cadance was supposed to be with them. Still doesn't explain why none of the crystal ponies could help. You'd think that one of the denizens of the host city would be helping greet the inspector. Given that Cadance and Shining Armor have only been there for a month or two, even they probably don't know the city all that well.

I think this where the suggestion of showing the Crystal Ponies being polite to the inspector would have been good. She would have seen the citizens actively at work yet still helping out a stranger in a non biased fashion.
Spoiler