Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Sabrblade : (13 August 2020 - 10:31 PM)

Turns out the President set the whole thing up as a publicity stunt. Very rude.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (13 August 2020 - 08:11 PM)

The ninjas will go away, it will be fine.

@  Paladin : (13 August 2020 - 08:02 PM)

listen; i'm sure there were very fine ninjas on both sides.

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 August 2020 - 07:50 PM)

My thoughts and prayers go out to the ninjas.

@  Cybersnark : (13 August 2020 - 06:36 PM)

Can we just let them have him?

@  Bass X0 : (13 August 2020 - 06:18 PM)

The president has been kidnapped by ninjas. Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the president?

@  Otaku : (13 August 2020 - 03:08 PM)

At first, I obviously thought I was correct.  Then I thought perhaps the spelling had changed for some reason.  Copyright/trademark law is weird, ya know?  Now I just accept I goofed. XD

@  Otaku : (13 August 2020 - 03:07 PM)

See, that one directly applies to me.  Apparently, I'd been misreading and mispronouncing it wrong for over 30 years... and I still slip and do it the wrong way much of the time.

@  Paladin : (13 August 2020 - 07:37 AM)

for the Internet age its the "Berenstain" Effect.

@  Bass X0 : (12 August 2020 - 01:49 PM)

Can you root for what The Rock is cooking!?

@  -LittleAutob... : (12 August 2020 - 10:35 AM)

sOmEoNe NoTiCeD-

@  wonko the sane? : (12 August 2020 - 07:37 AM)

I am the only one rooting for the rock these days?

@  Maximus Ambus : (12 August 2020 - 12:37 AM)

Sour grapes for the next decade until Apophis hits.

@  Hg Dragon : (11 August 2020 - 11:26 PM)

Thank yoo for vatching hydroolic pthress chan-nel.

@  Hg Dragon : (11 August 2020 - 11:19 PM)

Hey, do you have any grapes?

@  Otaku : (11 August 2020 - 05:18 PM)

I dunno... it sounds kind of quackers to me.

@  -LittleAutob... : (11 August 2020 - 05:17 PM)

That would be nice....

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 August 2020 - 04:36 PM)

I wish I could just sit by a pond and watch ducks for a while.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 August 2020 - 03:52 AM)

Others say Joe sat down at this pond next to these ducks but really there's just no place in this world for an old man and his ducks.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:48 PM)

Even worse when I can produce those verifiable facts at a later point, and then the other person simply claims the argument was the other way round (as in, I was actually arguing their position and vice versa).

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:47 PM)

I can argue with people about my versus their memory of events when verifiable facts are not readily available, though, and I get really annoyed when I'm capable of presenting a precise, step-by-step summary with multiple key points that can be used for future verification, and the other person just goes "nope, wrong" without going into detail.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:45 PM)

I forget things, and I misremember things. But when presented with verifiable facts, my reaction is more like "Huh, could have sworn it was like that", not "this reality is not my own".

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:43 PM)

I have an extremely good memory (which I have proven time and again), and even I can be mistaken.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 August 2020 - 06:40 PM)

Might be worth pointing out that it only became "Mandela Effect" and not just "I remembered this wrong" when a conspiracy theorist insisted it was proof of alternate timelines.

@  Otaku : (10 August 2020 - 06:29 PM)

Incorrectly remembering Nelson Mandela's fate may be uniquely American... but is it really that strange to get South African political history wrong when you're no where near South Africa?

@  Otaku : (10 August 2020 - 06:29 PM)

I always assumed the Mandela Effect was a "human thing", not an American thing.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 August 2020 - 02:03 PM)

Then there are people who outright manufacture memories for whatever reason.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (10 August 2020 - 01:13 PM)

The human brain is so flaky that it is extremely unlikely that a given person does NOT have any false memories.

@  OverDrive73 : (10 August 2020 - 01:05 PM)

Perhaps it's simple word association the movie Sinbad and then our minds apply the same memories to a man named Sinbad.

@  OverDrive73 : (10 August 2020 - 01:04 PM)

The Mandela Effect is the same as people remembering Sinbad in a movie where he played a genie... Of which he never did.

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 09:36 AM)

People that believe Mandela Effect things would rather come up with any number of reasons as to why their version doesn't have any actual evidence(like alternate timelines collapsing into our own) than just admit they remembered something wrong

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Sort of. It's more that when presented with a verifiable fact, they double down because it's what they believe instead of changing their minds

@  ▲ndrusi : (10 August 2020 - 09:25 AM)

"I could have sworn that ______."

@  ▲ndrusi : (10 August 2020 - 09:25 AM)

I'm not arguing with either of those two statements, but they're not really connected. Mandela Effect is, to oversimplify, people being widely mistaken about what they think *is* a verifiable fact. Nothing to do with opinions.

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 08:52 AM)

Pretty sure the Mandela Effect in general is an American thing. Opinion > Verifiable Facts is sadly a pretty American thing

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:27 AM)

Ask these people how Apartheid ended according to their recollection, and I'm sure they'll draw a blank.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:25 AM)

You got two black anti-Apartheid activists who were imprisoned by the oppressive regime. One died, the other was Nelson Mandela. It's not a far stretch that Americans who don't know many details about the history of other countries would mix up the two.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:24 AM)

My own theory is that these people are simply mixing up Nelson Mandela and Steve Biko, another South African anti-Apartheid activist, who did indeed die in police custody in 1977. There was an Oscar-nominated movie about his life starring Denzel Washington that came out in 1987, the same time frame these people claim remembering Mandela dying.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:17 AM)

I met a few people from South Africa, and they either never heard of the phenomenon at all, or only know of it from the internet. Apparently, it's completely unknown in South Africa, and it might even be entirely limited to the United States.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:16 AM)

So does anyone remember the "Mandela Effect"? I'm talking specifically about the original case where many people vividly remember Nelson Mandela dying in prison in the 1980s.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (10 August 2020 - 03:16 AM)

Crisis of Corona.

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 August 2020 - 06:16 PM)

Which crisis crossover are we on now? I lost track.

@  Rycochet : (09 August 2020 - 05:18 PM)

Much of the past decade has been the part of the comic series where less than stellar authors have driven the series into the ground and the editors are getting ready to either do a big multi issue crossover, leading to a reboot.

@  Bass X0 : (09 August 2020 - 02:28 PM)

At this point I've just decided to consider 2020 "not canon."

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 August 2020 - 02:18 PM)

'member Pepperidge Farm?

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 August 2020 - 02:10 PM)

Before the 'member berries there was Pepperidge farm. Pepperidge farm remembers.

@  OverDrive73 : (09 August 2020 - 12:21 PM)

>>>Shameless Plug<<< FYI. posted the last part of Quest for Tires in Allspark Pictures

@  SG Roadbuster : (08 August 2020 - 01:53 PM)

@Nevermore yes.

@  Nevermore : (08 August 2020 - 09:11 AM)

Is $30 a good deal for Subscription Service Breakdown?

@  Trpodeca : (08 August 2020 - 06:24 AM)

Oh dear God no. Twitter has changed it's default layout to the terrible new one. Why waste so much space on the left?

Photo

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - SPOILERS NOW IN THREAD

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
596 replies to this topic

#541 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:10 PM

Cap had April pretty much to himself though.

Spider-Man dropped below an R-rated comedy for week 2 and has Godzilla and X-men to deal with for weeks 3 and 4.

...hence my comment about Spidey having a long way to go. 

Cap's been going for 6+ weeks now, and will likely get another week or two before most theaters go ahead and let the film go.

But Spidey's cutting it close to the start of blockbuster season, and it shows. Even if it survives beyond week 4, it'll have the one-two punch of "Maleficent" and "A Million Ways To Die In The West" for week 5, "Edge of Tomorrow" for week 6, and "22 Jump Street" + "How To Train Your Dragon 2" for week 7. 

Unless one of those movies absolutely tanks, they're going to pull viewers away from the "older" films, even if only for a weekend. Spidey might be able to fend off everyone else, but he'll take a pounding in the process. 

#542 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:58 PM

Box Office Mojo has tentative weekend numbers up.

By the yearly domestic chart, Cap is a mere $3.2m away from overtaking Lego for #1 movie of the year. Spidey is coming in at third place, but still trails Cap by something to the effect of $78.5m. 

Worldwide grosses? Cap's at $703m, while Spidey's at $633m

The $70m worldwide gross gap is smaller than the $78.5m domestic gap, and so it's actually possible that Spidey could beat Cap globally but still lose to him domestically. I wonder how the bean counters in Hollywood would react if that took place. 

#543 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 30655 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 06:20 PM

Did Fiers's appearance remind anyone else of the tall, cartoonishly-scary guy from The Rocketeer?

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#544 Msol

Msol

Grade killer.

• Supporter
  • 3783 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 11:57 AM

So hey, because I enjoy doing this, I've updated the weekends for both movies. I also lined them up a bit better. ASM2 opened internationally for longer than Cap2.

BoQTmglIIAE7he9.png

Next week is where we'll see a divergence, I think (if any).

#545 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 12:16 PM

Just checked Box Office Mojo.

Based on their estimates of Tuesday's numbers, they have Cap at $704m worldwide (and it's just $3.2m shy of beating Lego domestically) and Spidey at $636m worldwide. Spidey's closing the gap, but still has to overcome Cap still being in some theaters. 

#546 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 04:20 PM

Box Office Mojo has Friday's estimates up. 

For yearly domestic, Cap is just shy of $252.9m, while Spidey is at $171.1m. Difference: $81.8m

For global total, Cap's just shy of $705.1m while Spidey is at $640.1m. Difference: $65m

If the estimates are correct, this means that the global gap is shrinking while the domestic gap is increasing... and that's with individual theaters pulling Cap out of rotation to make room for X-Men. 

#547 Msol

Msol

Grade killer.

• Supporter
  • 3783 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:21 PM

What was the domestic gap last weekend? The only way for it to be shrinking is if Cap made more than ASM 2 this week. I don't see how that's possible.

#548 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:45 PM

What was the domestic gap last weekend? The only way for it to be shrinking is if Cap made more than ASM 2 this week. I don't see how that's possible.

I had them in post #547. If my math was right, last week the domestic gap was $78.5m. 

Now the gap between the two films is $81.8m if my math is right.

So the domestic gap between the films has somehow grown

Either that, or BOM's got some funky numbers up. We should know in a few days once the final official #s are out. 

#549 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 05:19 PM

New new weekend numbers from Box Office Mojo.

Domestically, Cap is at $253,563,000m while Spidey is at $184,900,000m. That's a difference of $68,663,000m. 

Globally, Cap is at $707,663,000 while Spidey is at $673,900,000m. That's a difference of $33,763,000m. 

At this rate, we're still looking at the awkward situation of Spidey potentially beating Cap globally but losing domestically. 

Even more potential pain comes from X-Men, which is at $90,700.000m domestically and $261,780,000 globally. X-Men took in three days (Thurs - Saturday) half of what Spidey took domestically over the last several weeks, and is still likely going to be running for a while. 

#550 bigbot69

bigbot69

Back and slightly less angry...kinda

• Citizen
  • 1430 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:12 AM

The be fair, If I was looking at this from the hype machine point of view:

Cap had a really good set of trailers, riding on the back of the Marvel wave of popularity and then, certainly once it was released, it had the word of mouth of how good it was that got other people going to it (I sent a group of friends who loved it based on my reccomendation). From a nerd point of view it had the Winter soldier that would bring people in and once it was released, again, it had word of mouth about how many easter eggs in it for fans.

Spiderman had some ok trailers that gave us standard fayre, but riding a wave of mediocre reception to the last film and the previous trilogy and once released, it certainly divided people on it but most agreed it was pretty much an ok film that needs tweaking. From a nerd point of view - it finatlly had a decent costume and the rhino, oh and the goblin (AGAIN)

X-men - had a good marketing campaign, it has the actors in it a lot of people will remember from seeing in the original trilogy when they were younger, it was intriguing in its use of old and new cast and riding a good restarted wave from First Class. Nerd points definately go for covering Days of Future Past (a loved story and one of my favourites) and putting fan favourites like Blink and Bishop in there. In a short space of time it has already god good word of mouth reports about the film that will no doubt push hype further.

Overal this year I can see (prediction drum roll please) X-men coming up on top, the cap, then Spidey.

It's a Newcomic (apparently)

#551 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:39 PM

New numbers from Box Office Mojo - 

Worldwide totals: Spidey is $19.3m behind Cap, while X-Men is a little less than $190m behind Spidey. 

Domestic: Cap is $10,511 away from being #1 US movie for the year. Spidey is about $63m behind Cap, and X-Men is about $30.7m behind Spidey. 

If this keeps up, we most certainly will see Spidey defeat Cap for global ticket sales despite Cap still leading in domestic sales by a wide margin. 

#552 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:43 AM

Here goes - 

Domestic: The Lego Movie is back on top as the #1 domestic film of the year, beating Cap by a mere $4,000 in ticket sales ($256,328,000 vs. $256,324,000). X-Men is at #3 with $206m in domestic ticket sales, while Spidey's $198 has resulted in it being stuck at #4. Godzilla is at #5 with $191m. Neither of the five movies are listed as having "closed", meaning that they're still screening somewhere in the US and so things could well be up in the air.

Global: Cap is #1 with $710.3m, Spidey is #2 with $700.3m, X-Men is #3 with $661.7m, Rio 2 is #4 with $468.7m, and The Lego Movie is #5 with $462.7m. 

Given this, it's almost guaranteed that if Spidey beats Cap for #1 global it'll do so without beating Cap domestically unless the film gets a resurgence somehow. 

#553 Random Items

Random Items

Just this once, everybody lives!

• Retired Staff
  • 10452 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:02 PM

Whelp, the DVD and BluRay have an Aug 19th release date, and they've announced the Special Features.

via: http://insidemovies....-man-2-blu-ray/

Blu-ray & DVD Bonus Features Include:  
4 All-New Deleted Scenes with Commentary by Marc Webb
Filmmaker Commentary
Alicia Keys “It’s On Again” music video

Exclusively Available on Blu-ray:
9 Additional Deleted Scenes with Commentary by Marc Webb, including “Peter Meets His Father”
“The Wages of Heroism: Making The Amazing Spider-Man 2,” featuring revealing, in-depth segments including:
“Lessons Learned: Development and Direction” — Filmmakers and cast discuss their approach to the sequel and their efforts to make it the best Spider-Man yet.
“Heart of the City: Shooting in New York” — A behind-the-scenes look at the film’s unprecedented access to 
New York City during production.
“Triple Threat: Attack of the Villains” — An inside look at the development of Spider-Man’s fearsome foes, Electro, 
the Green Goblin and Rhino.
“A More Dangerous World: Transforming Electro and the Green Goblin” — From make-up to costuming, see what it took to transform Jamie Foxx and Dane DeHaan into their fearsome alter-egos.
“A Bolt From the Blue: Visual Effects” — Sony Pictures Imageworks artists and animators show how they created the gravity defying, web-slinging and pumped-up action in the new film.
“Spidey Gets His Groove Back: Music and Editing” — Learn how the film’s soundtrack and score came together in this behind-the-scenes look at jam sessions with Composer Hans Zimmer and the team of master musicians he assembled, including Pharrell Williams, Johnny Marr, Michael Einziger and more.

Exclusive to the DVD:
New Public Service Announcement for the Worldwide Orphans Foundation (WWO), featuring Andrew Garfield & WWO CEO Dr. Jane Aronson

Digital release will be August 5th.

Edited by Random Items, 16 June 2014 - 01:03 PM.

#554 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 67498 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:33 PM

Its been confirmed that Secret Life girl won't be playing Mary Jane going forward.

ACItEK8.png

#555 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

Sometimes bad ponies make the best good ponies!

• Supporter
  • 6393 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:26 AM

Its been confirmed that Secret Life girl won't be playing Mary Jane going forward.

Has it? I've not seen anything but rumors from way back.  Since Shailene Woodley's star is in ascendance, I'd think they'd want to hold on to her now.

#556 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

Quoth Akitsu, "NEVERMORE!"

• Retired Staff
  • 14629 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:01 AM

Has it?

No, it hasn't. Marc Webb has even said he'd like to have her back, but doesn't know if they'd be able to thanks to said "ascendance"...

Yep.

#557 Gridlock

Gridlock
  • Citizen
  • 339 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:11 AM

10 Things That Were Changed From THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 Script:

http://badassdigest....campaign=buffer

#558 Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore
  • Citizen
  • 8257 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:43 AM

Interesting. Mostly terrible and better left out, but interesting.

PSN: SeanWhitmore

Switch: SW-7452-6932-0513

3DS: 0490-6399-8582

I did a new video thing:
https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/159447-whos-the-right-arm/
And a fic thing:
https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/169332-do-no-harm-first-aid/

#559 (Deactivated) BB Shockwave

(Deactivated) BB Shockwave
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:01 AM

Well, now, this is interesting...

Sinister Six and other concepts for the next movie.

Spoiler

Guess whoever heard that rumor about the frozen head of Norman Osborn being in the end stinger (where it wasn't) must have had inside sources.

Gridlock - wow, some of these makes sense, some are terrible, and... did Kafka still had lipstick because the stylists thought his character was a she? :D

Edited by BB Shockwave, 18 August 2014 - 10:08 AM.

#560 Undead Scottsman

Undead Scottsman

THANOSCOPTER

• Citizen
  • 10653 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:35 PM

Well, now, this is interesting...Sinister Six and other concepts for the next movie. 

Spoiler
Guess whoever heard that rumor about the frozen head of Norman Osborn being in the end stinger (where it wasn't) must have had inside sources.Gridlock - wow, some of these makes sense, some are terrible, and... did Kafka still had lipstick because the stylists thought his character was a she? :D

http://badassdigest....g-spider-man-2/

MSzBav1.jpg