Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  PlutoniumBoss : (25 June 2019 - 10:12 PM)

It's like drawing someone in the "superhero landing" pose. It's just part of the cultural vocabulary at this point.

@  Arazyr : (25 June 2019 - 07:14 PM)

I can hear that post... *shudder*

@  B-Fox : (25 June 2019 - 06:09 PM)

So why does Cyberverse sound like . . . *that*?

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 04:05 PM)

Also, the theoretical new image would be a new compostion, it would just be individual bodies, or even just body parts, that are based on existing references by other creators, with the major caveat that there is more than one example for each reference so it's basically more like "following an established trend" than "copying someone's original creation".

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 04:03 PM)

Well, an homage is usually marked by a signature along the lines of "artist X after artist Y". I wasn't thinking about recreating something particularly memorable, just looking for reference images (just of a pose/perspective/layout) that looks like what I want, then finding more examples that just happen to look very similar, and it cannot be determined which version came "first".

@  ZakuConvoy : (25 June 2019 - 03:09 PM)

What you're describing is more an "homage" than plagiarism, really. I'm assuming you would be using different characters. It's basically like all the comic covers that homage the death of Supergirl cover from Crisis on Infinite Earths...but with different characters. It's not plagiarism, it's a reference. But if several artists have a memorable layout and are all using it, chances are it actually is referencing something memorably original.

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:56 PM)

Would that still qualify as plagiarism? After all, it could be argued that what I've recreated isn't that original to begin with since several other people have supposedly had the same general idependently from each other.

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:54 PM)

And I were then to create a new image, not traced but maybe "swiped", except I wouldn't copy a specific source image, but merely recreate the basic pose and perspective shared between all of them...

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:52 PM)

*deleted*

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:49 PM)

And out of sheer coincidence, they all feature very similar ideas, concepts, poses and/or perspectives, supposedly with none of the original creators having copied from one of the others...

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:47 PM)

Assuming I were to find not one but two, three, four or even more source images, all of them by different artists, or by different photographers depicting different models...

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:45 PM)

Just out of curiosity, a question regarding the concept of plagiarism:

@  Benbot : (25 June 2019 - 08:58 AM)

That game needs a remake

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (25 June 2019 - 08:57 AM)

I am Error.

@  TheMightyMol... : (25 June 2019 - 08:17 AM)

There is no error. There is only Zuul.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (25 June 2019 - 07:51 AM)

The unicron singularity fixes all continuity errors.. including Power Rangers related ones now!

@  MEDdMI : (25 June 2019 - 07:06 AM)

I reject your canon and substitute my own

@  unluckiness : (25 June 2019 - 12:32 AM)

Answer: It doesn't matter because even if there was one, it was never relevant in S1 and it got blown up with his original body

@  PlutoniumBoss : (24 June 2019 - 10:55 PM)

Most people think Transformers canon is a series of discrete parallel lines, really it's more like a big ball of canony-wanony... stuff.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (24 June 2019 - 06:31 PM)

Hate to say this, but the simple answer is that you are thinking too hard and realistically, it does not matter.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 June 2019 - 04:57 PM)

Don't tell me what to do.

@  Paladin : (24 June 2019 - 04:16 PM)

don't cross the streams.

@  tffan01 : (24 June 2019 - 03:03 PM)

Or is this what AVP meant when he said that condradictory streams formed the JG1 timeline?

@  tffan01 : (24 June 2019 - 02:25 PM)

I don't like that idea.

@  tffan01 : (24 June 2019 - 02:24 PM)

In Ask Vector Prime, it was mentioned that in the Beast Wars 2 universe, Convoys all have Energon Matrices and that when Optimus Primal from the Japanese Beast Wars stream was transported to the Beast Wars 2 stream, his history was subtly altered that he too possessed an Energon Matrix. What does this mean? That Beast Wars 2 is actually not canon to the Japanese Beast Wars?

@  MEDdMI : (24 June 2019 - 08:54 AM)

yeah, I've got a few others that I need to check out/get removed. The nose one is small but annoying since I hit it every time I blow my nose.

@  unluckiness : (24 June 2019 - 08:46 AM)

Try to get a histopath examination if it isn't too expensive over there. It's probably just a mole but I'd think certainty would be better.

@  MEDdMI : (24 June 2019 - 07:59 AM)

@unluckiness I know, plan to get it removed but gotta get an appt first

@  Gizmoboy : (24 June 2019 - 07:50 AM)

oops... typed that in the wrong field. :)

@  Gizmoboy : (24 June 2019 - 07:50 AM)

gizmoboy

@  unluckiness : (24 June 2019 - 03:18 AM)

That is not a good thing, especially in the long term

@  MEDdMI : (23 June 2019 - 10:17 PM)

So who wants to hear about this mole on my nose that I keep scratching open

@  NotVeryKnightly : (23 June 2019 - 09:24 PM)

Yeah, it's kind of defeating the purpose of making political discussions more restricted if you're just gonna go at it elsewhere on this site.

@  Telly : (23 June 2019 - 07:06 PM)

that would probly fit better in the p & r thread. its there for things just like this

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:29 PM)

The citizens resisted by buying up all the town's beer reserves so the Nazis would have to stay sober the entire time.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:28 PM)

Meanwhile, congratulations civil resistance, part 2: So a group of Nazis were holding one of their Good Old Times Reenactment festivals in a small East German town.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:26 PM)

It's basically like an anti-Trump candidate winning Texas.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:25 PM)

The mayoral elections of Istanbul are considered to be a key indicator for the political climate in the entire country.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:24 PM)

This time, it was a landslide victory for the opposition's candidate.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:23 PM)

After president Erdogan had a court revoke the results of the mayoral election of Istanbul after the opposition party's candidate had won by a small margin, the election was repeated today.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:21 PM)

Congratulations, democracy part 1: Today is a historic day for Turkey.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (23 June 2019 - 02:31 PM)

Convert, does he timeout?

@  unluckiness : (23 June 2019 - 09:12 AM)

Did he form the feet and legs or the arms and body?

@  Patch : (22 June 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Nah, he was one of the Lions

@  MEDdMI : (22 June 2019 - 04:45 PM)

Is he a Shellformer

@  Nevermore : (22 June 2019 - 12:38 PM)

Supposedly it's about that football player Calvin Johnson.

@  Pennpenn : (22 June 2019 - 07:03 AM)

I'm vaguely confused why there is a Nicki Minaj song in my youtube reccomendations, but even more confused as to why that song (which appears to be from an official account) is called "MEGATRON".

@  Liege : (21 June 2019 - 10:03 PM)

Alpha Q all night long.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (21 June 2019 - 10:44 AM)

Only if you ask nicely, Silv.

@  RichardT1977 : (21 June 2019 - 09:42 AM)

1998 Zilla is the Gaijin era.

Photo
- - - - -

S3, Ep 5 Magic Duel

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
275 replies to this topic

#261 Sjogre

Sjogre
  • Citizen
  • 1335 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

Rarity wasn't willing to take that risk.
Unfortunately, fools are often planproof.

#262 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 37943 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

It's the sort of thing you'd think would be Pinkie Pie's idea.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#263 BlitzwingHaz

BlitzwingHaz

"Wooo! I'm freaking out!"

• Citizen
  • 16303 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:46 AM

Its probably my fave outfit Rarity has made, its really cute.

#264 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 37943 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

Because it's a big pile of Fluttermemes. Hoodie? Check. Goggles? Check. Bunny ears? Check.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#265 Pocket

Pocket
  • Citizen
  • 4250 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

Hmm, never thought of it like that before. But then, I'm also not familiar with any of those things being memes. The only meme I know of regarding Fluttershy doing something that wasn't already from the show was Fluttershy-with-a-juice-box. Am I just behind the curve?

If you ever somehow become a Catholic saint, be aware that they will harvest your bones and build altars around them.

#266 Zeel1

Zeel1
  • Citizen
  • 1127 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

I don't so much remember hoodies with her, really. Goggles I can kind of get, in the context of Dr. Adorable. Bunny ears, haven't seen a lot of, but it makes sense.

#267 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 41579 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:36 PM

QUOTE(Sjogre @ Jan 5 2013, 02:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Besides, everyone in the show is aware of the fourth wall. The other are just better at not staring at the camera.

Director:" CUT! Take ten while we check the gate."

Spike lights up a cigarette, applejack cracks a beer, a make up pony trots out to glue pinkie's cutie mark back on. Twilight plays on her smart phone and rarity doffs her wig and scratches her head. Fluttershy screams at the animal handlers to get the damn things away from her, and rainbow dash demands to be let off the fly by wire setup.

All the while the producers curses the whole lot of them, and the hasbro rep counts his money while raiding the craft services table.

#268 Sjogre

Sjogre
  • Citizen
  • 1335 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

Hahaha. Yes. Just like Roger Rabbit. Twilight is still kicking herself over being suckered into doing her own stunts. When her horn started heating up in Too Many Pinkie Pies, it was because Twilight was actually casting a spell instead of just adding them in post like they usually do. They dropped the cut where Twilight panicked and dunked her head in a bucket of water.

#269 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 37943 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

QUOTE(Pocket @ Jan 9 2013, 07:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmm, never thought of it like that before. But then, I'm also not familiar with any of those things being memes. The only meme I know of regarding Fluttershy doing something that wasn't already from the show was Fluttershy-with-a-juice-box. Am I just behind the curve?

It's not that you're behind the curve so much as it is that I have spent way too much time on dA since joining the herd.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#270 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 17660 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:43 AM

I want to know...just how much does Zecora know? Upon rewatching, she didn't say she taught Twilight everything but rather that Twilight completed all of her lessons. Zecora has been shown to have a massive amount of magical knowledge even though she lacks unicorn style spell casting. I've had this curiosity for a while, aided by the fact despite being on good terms with Ponyville, she still willingly lives in the Everfree Forest.

With Pinkie Pie, why this episode? While there's some episodes where she badly needs to be put on mute, it's sad that it happened in the episode where she's trying to defend her family's livelihood. I guess that's amplified by my desire to know more about her background. Was surprised at the number of people who thought the rock farm was made up.
Spoiler

#271 Sjogre

Sjogre
  • Citizen
  • 1335 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:40 AM

The only one of Zecora's lessons that we saw was focusing on, well, focus, something that Twilight Sparkle can have trouble with. Magic in this setting seems to rely on focus, so it's a good lesson, but Zecora wasn't showing a lot of magic of her own.

I think that she's an alchemist or herbalist, but her knowledge of the magic of plants and animals can be more generally applied. She also seems to be a literal Witch Doctor, as she knows how to fix or fight magical ailments. The only magic she's been implied to have seemed to be stage illusions, but she still knows how spell casting magic works.

I really want to know more about Zecora's backstory. So much stuff they could do with that.

#272 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 17660 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

QUOTE(Sjogre @ Jan 25 2013, 02:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think that she's an alchemist or herbalist, but her knowledge of the magic of plants and animals can be more generally applied. She also seems to be a literal Witch Doctor, as she knows how to fix or fight magical ailments. The only magic she's been implied to have seemed to be stage illusions, but she still knows how spell casting magic works.

That's what makes it interesting. She's that super informed mentor who genuinely can't do the things the "chosen one" needs to do as opposed to just sitting in a cave somewhere. It's also interesting that Zecora (and to a lesser degree, Pinkie) specializes in more broad Old World type information as opposed to specific wizard spells.
Spoiler

#273 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 37943 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:24 PM

Maybe Zecora does have awesome powers and just hasn't felt the need to reveal them to anyone yet.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#274 Sjogre

Sjogre
  • Citizen
  • 1335 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:17 AM

Knowledge is power. Twilight is considered so powerful because she can use so many different kinds of magic, not just because she can lift heavy weights. The duel in this episode focused on quantity of tricks just as much as quality.

Zecora knows how to use the fauna of the Everfree to make a number of potions, was able to diagnose a dragon, and knew enough about magic duels and magicians to come up with a winning strategy. She might not have cast spells, but she's a pretty decent Batman kind of character, a niche that no one else in the show fits.

If we never get to see Zecora outmaneuver and defeat a spell caster without using any magic herself, I'll be really sad.

#275 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11116 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

QUOTE(Sjogre @ Jan 26 2013, 12:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Zecora knows how to use the fauna of the Everfree to make a number of potions,

Flora.

Fauna is animals (like fauns), flora is plants (like flowers).

#276 Shadewing

Shadewing

Evil faces a Black Night

• Supporter
  • 36108 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

QUOTE(Cybersnark @ Jan 26 2013, 11:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Sjogre @ Jan 26 2013, 12:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Zecora knows how to use the fauna of the Everfree to make a number of potions,

Flora.

Fauna is animals (like fauns), flora is plants (like flowers).

She might also use the fauna in her potions too, its not like we see EVERYTHING she does. icon-waspy.gif

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno