Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Nevermore : (20 September 2019 - 06:46 PM)

In case anyone's wondering.

@  Nevermore : (20 September 2019 - 06:46 PM)

Also, she pronounces her own name "Zuh-see".

@  TM2-Megatron : (20 September 2019 - 03:04 PM)

I think I'd read a while back she was born in Berlin

@  TM2-Megatron : (20 September 2019 - 03:04 PM)

I thought Zazie Beetz was really fantastic in Deadpool 2. Really looking forward to seeing her in Joker.

@  Liege : (20 September 2019 - 12:05 PM)

Any sightings of Ratchet at U.S. Walgreens yet? A couple of stores around me have recently restocked their toy aisles but no Ratchets yet at those ones.

@  Nevermore : (20 September 2019 - 03:54 AM)

You don't even hear a hint of an accent, and she only very rarely chooses some odd wording where she probably wasn't familiar with the more appropriate alternative due to its relative obscurity.

@  Nevermore : (20 September 2019 - 03:41 AM)

Just watched what's possibly the most relaxed interview ever of a German Youtuber interviewing Zazie while walking around Berlin. Turns out she was born in Berlin and spent quite some time in Germany.

@  Nevermore : (20 September 2019 - 03:39 AM)

Actors and actresses I had no idea speak fluent German, part 4.231: Zazie Beetz from Deadpool 2.

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 02:14 PM)

It's too bad it's like this because some of what they're doing with tiny cars is pretty cool, but I'm not willing to sign up for that f-ing hassle.

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 02:13 PM)

At this point I'm trying to decide how much of a markup I'm willing to pay some scalper scum or if I should just say to hell with it.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (18 September 2019 - 02:11 PM)

That is pretty much the constant story with Hot Wheels. Anything you might actually want has most likely been picked clean and marked up.

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 02:02 PM)

I've been watching some Youtube Hot Wheels videos out of boredom and discovered there exists a new car that just came out maybe a month ago that looks just like one I had when I was little, and I've been looking around hoping to get it. Slim picking everywhere, but online there are a slew of sellers asking for 3 and 4x the retail price, plus a hefty shipping markup.

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 01:59 PM)

Oh, that explains the problem I've encountered with finding one little car

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 September 2019 - 01:31 PM)

Oh boy. I work at Target, and literally every single morning, there are two or three guys outside who make a beeline straight to the Hot Wheels.

@  Steevy Maximus : (18 September 2019 - 01:00 PM)

Hot Wheels

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 12:25 PM)

Which collecting community has the worst scalpers?

@  TM2-Megatron : (17 September 2019 - 09:55 PM)

I've never read the source material and don't know much about it, but I enjoyed the first film quite a bit, and found the second alright

@  Sabrblade : (17 September 2019 - 09:49 PM)

The first movie was definitely not for me. I flat out hated it. Didn't even bother with the sequel.

@  Maruten : (17 September 2019 - 05:02 PM)

I liked the first movie a lot and enjoyed the original volume of the book, and the way they were developed in parallel was really interesting. It all got super extra unpleasant as soon as they went back though. I don't remember really whether the initial sequels are "good" or not, but either way both the second movie and the second run of the book quickly demonstrated that the property sure wasn't for me.

@  Paladin : (17 September 2019 - 04:45 PM)

i have a real hard time offering praise of anything connected to an utter shitstain like Mark Millar.

@  Rycochet : (17 September 2019 - 01:23 PM)

Kick Ass 2 was okay for what it was, a sequel to a film that was okay, just okay. It had a good performance from Nic Cage while the sequel had Jim Carrey who decided he didn't want to promote it after one of america's regularly scheduled massacres.

@  Benbot : (17 September 2019 - 12:20 PM)

Was Kick Ass 2 really that bad? I never got around to seeing it, but after watching the first movie again the other day, I'm thinking about it.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 September 2019 - 01:54 PM)

Why do you feel a need to label yourself for doing something harmless?

@  Telly : (13 September 2019 - 11:10 AM)

thats more than i look at on reddit

@  Benbot : (13 September 2019 - 10:49 AM)

am I a basic bitch for only browsing the front page of Reddit?

@  Shrug : (12 September 2019 - 12:26 PM)

I managed to find about 2/3s of my goal Sega Genesis collection before the last price bump

@  Anonymous X : (12 September 2019 - 11:11 AM)

So relieved that I picked up most of my NTSC GameCube collection in 2010/11 before prices on the secondary market went bezerk...

@  unluckiness : (12 September 2019 - 12:54 AM)

I have fond memories of it since it was the last console Mario Kart that didn't have the ridiculous pre-race cart assembly

@  TM2-Megatron : (11 September 2019 - 10:26 PM)

Like many Gamecube games, underrated

@  unluckiness : (11 September 2019 - 09:24 AM)

Double Dash is great. Just watch out for blue shells

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 07:43 AM)

I used a double dash on my mobile. The chat didn’t like it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 September 2019 - 04:17 AM)

The mobile version of the site chokes on certain characters, I think.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 September 2019 - 04:10 AM)

what's with that punctuation anyway

@  Nevermore : (11 September 2019 - 03:20 AM)

Now where did that come from, Bass X0?

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 01:52 AM)

Politics and Religion — tools of foul play!

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you owe, you're expected to actually pay it at the time you file, before they even process your return

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you file electronically, I find you usually get your refund within a couple weeks

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 06:22 PM)

Well, lucky it took less than two months for me. For a little over 200 Euros.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Pretty much, yeah. Canada revenue will be all up your ass if you earn less than 200K and owe tax, but your refund is basically "duke nukem forever".

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Whereas if you overpaid and they have to refund you, they will take their sweet time to let you know.

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Like, here in Germany, if the tax authority responds to your tax report quickly, you can rest assured they want more money.

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:33 PM)

Do tax authorities in other countries base their time to respond to filed tax reports on whether they owe or are owed as well?

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 11:13 AM)

Check what the requirements are for your cad program, and try to beat them by about 20%, and understand that software requirements have been stable for a few years: not really keeping up with the advancements in hardware. Unless you're doing something SPECIFIC which requires ludicrous amounts of power, just give your self a cushion on hardware and don't bother going whole hog.

@  Benbot : (10 September 2019 - 10:16 AM)

What I'm currently using is an i5 2018 Surface Laptop. My current desktop is all but dead. I think in the end affordability will win out over specs. I need to use CAD programs, but I'm a student, not a professional.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 10:06 AM)

Okay. Whats the specs on the I7 and what are you currently using?

@  Benbot : (10 September 2019 - 09:23 AM)

fun and games

@  wonko the sane? : (09 September 2019 - 04:43 PM)

Depends entirely on what you use the computer for.

@  Steevy Maximus : (09 September 2019 - 11:52 AM)

Probably not

@  Benbot : (09 September 2019 - 09:39 AM)

Do I need an i7 on my new computer?

@  Nevermore : (08 September 2019 - 12:08 PM)

https://imgur.com/fkyjpza

Photo
- - - - -

S3, Ep 5 Magic Duel

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
275 replies to this topic

#221 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Girl Whomst Love Girls

• Staff
  • 22464 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:01 AM

Dunno why you've been so dead set on making MLP all grit and serious lately, Fnu Aw. It's awful silly.

Like my art? I do commissions!! -> https://www.allspark...

#222 (Deactivated) Sobana

(Deactivated) Sobana
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:35 AM

QUOTE(Zeel1 @ Dec 7 2012, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Sobana @ Dec 7 2012, 10:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wouldn't mind being Trixie's slave for a day... ._.

I bet it pays better then being Zeel1's dog. >.>

Whoosagoodgirl?! Whoosagoodgirl?! Whowantsaraise?! Whowantsaraise?!

o.o Bark, bark, bark, bark! >.< *wiggles*

QUOTE(Fnu Aw @ Dec 7 2012, 05:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whether they fear her or deride her, things won't be pleasant for her.

I think fear inspiring might work out better for her show then shame inspired. This way she will seem more powerful and mysterious.

#223 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 38717 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:50 AM

QUOTE(Cabooceratops @ Dec 8 2012, 12:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dunno why you've been so dead set on making MLP all grit and serious lately, Fnu Aw. It's awful silly.

The existence of consequences is not a bad thing, nor would the absence of consequences be a good thing.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#224 Zeel1

Zeel1
  • Citizen
  • 1127 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:01 AM

QUOTE(Sobana @ Dec 8 2012, 08:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Zeel1 @ Dec 7 2012, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Sobana @ Dec 7 2012, 10:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wouldn't mind being Trixie's slave for a day... ._.

I bet it pays better then being Zeel1's dog. >.>

Whoosagoodgirl?! Whoosagoodgirl?! Whowantsaraise?! Whowantsaraise?!

o.o Bark, bark, bark, bark! >.< *wiggles*

*Balances a stack of dollar bills on her muzzle.*

You know how this trick works, right~?

#225 Sjogre

Sjogre
  • Citizen
  • 1342 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:13 PM

QUOTE(Fnu Aw @ Dec 8 2012, 08:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Cabooceratops @ Dec 8 2012, 12:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The existence of consequences is not a bad thing, nor would the absence of consequences be a good thing.

There's a difference between no consequences and the legal system being rewritten to screw over one person. Trixie's reputation is still in the toilet, and she's out the giant bag of money that she spent months working on a rock farm to earn with nothing to show for it but a very embarrassing story. And depending on how the rock farmers take Trixie's attack on their daughter, she might not be able to get her job back.

Although to be honest, I'm not sure which she would consider worse.
Unfortunately, fools are often planproof.

#226 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 38717 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:04 PM

Good question. What would Trixie consider worse?

B5ofTKU.jpg

#227 Sjogre

Sjogre
  • Citizen
  • 1342 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

Heck if I know. The rock farm seems to pay well and keep her away from hecklers, but she hated the work. But if she can't get her stage career going again, and the farm won't take her back, she'll have to take other bottom of the barrel job. She might not dislike whatever that is as much, but I doubt that it would be as lucrative as rock farming seemed to be.

#228 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10650 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:00 AM

That Pinkie might come from a wealthy family is an interesting thought. Albeit, a kind of "unglamorous" wealth that's probably looked down on by the Canterlot elite, whom Pinkie's parents may very well be able to buy and sell quite easily, nonetheless.

#229 Sjogre

Sjogre
  • Citizen
  • 1342 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:23 AM

One idea I've hear and like is that a rock farm is kinda like a coal mine, in that you can pull down a good wad of cash working there, but the work is really unpleasant so most people don't take the job if they have any kind of choice. Rock farming might not have as many health risks as coal mining, but what we've seen so far consists of moving and breaking rocks, which is usually equated to hard prison labor. Trixie's work there may very well be worse than whatever she would do in jail.

So, Pinkie's family would be covered in dirt and grease, but everyone buys what they're selling.

Edited by Sjogre, 09 December 2012 - 01:31 AM.

#230 Caldwin

Caldwin

I'm coming for you!

• Supporter
  • 24719 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:48 AM

You know, in a joking kinda way, I was talking about how nice it was for an episode where Pinkie absolutely could not talk and it's nice whenever she was forced to just shut the hell up. But I think joking about it made me miss what was truly awesome about it.

Pinkie only had one line in the entire show...and it wasn't her usual random ramblings. She defended her family against someone who was badmouthing them and their profession. It's something anyone would say, not just some randomness.

Pinkie...was pretty darn normal for the entire episode. Well, okay, she broke the forth wall again at the end...but so did Twilight!
PSN = Caldwin Switch = SW-7457-8143-2029

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#231 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11249 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:50 AM

A thought on Trixie's legal defense; while it's true that most ponies wouldn't know about the amulet, Celestia probably would. She might well be willing to write off most of Trixie's crimes as being under the influence and issue a pardon (or at least reduce the sentence to low-grade [non-magical] exile).

Still probably wouldn't help with her reputation, but at least she's not a fugitive.

#232 Sailor Unicron

Sailor Unicron
  • Citizen
  • 3551 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:41 AM

QUOTE(Cybersnark @ Dec 9 2012, 07:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A thought on Trixie's legal defense; while it's true that most ponies wouldn't know about the amulet, Celestia probably would. She might well be willing to write off most of Trixie's crimes as being under the influence and issue a pardon (or at least reduce the sentence to low-grade [non-magical] exile).

Still probably wouldn't help with her reputation, but at least she's not a fugitive.

Agreed. After all, she let Twilight get off with a stern warning after brainwashing Ponyville, and she didn't have the excuse of being under an amulet's influence.

On another note, why was such a dangerous artifact in the possession of a lowly shop keeper and not locked up somewhere? Doesn't anyone keep tabs on things like that?
You are more than flesh and bone / Can't you see, you're something beautiful...you gotta believe that you are / Someone worth dying for

God's not dead!

In 1996: "TRUKK NOT MUNKEY!"; In 2013: "PONEE NOT HUGHMAN!"; in 2014: "TREE NOT CASSUL"; Regardless of the fandom, it all boils down to one thing: "RUINED FOREVA!"

DA account

I got my counter at Jellyneo.net! NaNoWriMo is GO!

#233 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 38717 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:12 AM

That'd be a fair resolution. A stern talking to from Celestia would probably be enough to frighten most ponies into shape.

I can see it happening. And while she's at it, Celestia will probably ask Trixie how she got the amulet in the first place and whether she knows where to find any other similar objects. Perhaps she'll once again "forget the punishment" in exchange for a little cooperation.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#234 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11249 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:29 PM

There's a thought, Celestia's Suicide Squad --the ponies nopony would miss, doing the jobs nopony else can.

#235 Caldwin

Caldwin

I'm coming for you!

• Supporter
  • 24719 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

QUOTE(Cybersnark @ Dec 9 2012, 12:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There's a thought, Celestia's Suicide Squad --the ponies nopony would miss, doing the jobs nopony else can.

Well, leaving off the "ponies nopony would miss" qualifier for a second...how many crack squads does she need? She has Shining Armor and Cadence for kingdom defence. She has the Wonderbolts for...whatever it is the Wonderbolts does. She has the mane six as her go to, do everything group. Does she really need another group of Wreckers?

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#236 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 38717 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:38 PM

One can never have too many Wreckers.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#237 Sjogre

Sjogre
  • Citizen
  • 1342 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE(Caldwin @ Dec 9 2012, 06:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pinkie...was pretty darn normal for the entire episode. Well, okay, she broke the forth wall again at the end...but so did Twilight!

Breaking the fourth wall isn't too impressive for a cartoon character. It just means that they can't hold character.

You know why Deadpool keeps breaking the fourth wall? It's because he keeps forgetting his lines and rambling about the first thing he thinks of.

QUOTE(Fnu Aw)
One can never have too many Wreckers.

That's because they have a shorter shelf life than twinkies.

Hmmn... My Little Pony, like Transformers, has enough characters to toss a dozen into the wood chipper everyday without running low...

#238 J4n1

J4n1
  • Citizen
  • 497 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

I did not like this episode.
I did not like boast busters either for that matter, and felt that how Trixie was treated was stupid and overblown (she a stage magician, a showpony, of course there's going to be plenty of hyperbole in her act), and she did not deserve how she was treated and what she got (she was an arrogant, mean, jerk, but she still did not deserve what she got, and heckling from the audience was unnecessary and rude).
And now it was confirmed that the Boast Busters ended pretty much destroying her life.
And if that episode destroyed her life, i can't even imagine how this episode ends up doing to it (mind you, this time she actually deserves to be messed with, but it all started in Boast busters where she did not).
QUOTE(Sobana @ Dec 4 2012, 06:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also imagine Trixie wasn't complaining about the low pay on the rock farm, seeing how she managed to make enough to stuff a bag full of bits to tempt a greedy merchant, but rather complaining she had to resort to physical labor to make a living.

Trixie is a stage magician, it's her talent, her special ability, part of what makes her, her.
Imagine everyone having an innate special ability, something that would rule over our lives, our careers, our likes, our personalities.
Imagine if society revolved lot around those special abilities and everyone followed theirs in one way or the other.
Imagine then, suddenly, being denied that special ability, being denied doing what is basically your purpose in life, denied your very self, and all because of something you were not even at fault of.

That would be enough to make anyone snap.

edit-
I did like the Zecora being able to do magic part.
Shows that beings other than ponies, and especially beings other than Unicorns, can do magic.
Would it be possible for an earth pony to learn magic?
It would probably be very different than Unicorn magic (more magic circles and dribble candles maybe?), and lot harder, but with this reveal it might be possible.

Edited by J4n1, 04 January 2013 - 05:16 PM.

#239 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 38717 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

QUOTE(J4n1 @ Jan 4 2013, 05:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I did not like this episode.
I did not like boast busters either for that matter, and felt that how Trixie was treated was stupid and overblown (she a stage magician, a showpony, of course there's going to be plenty of hyperbole in her act), and she did not deserve how she was treated and what she got (she was an arrogant, mean, jerk, but she still did not deserve what she got, and heckling from the audience was unnecessary and rude).
And now it was confirmed that the Boast Busters ended pretty much destroying her life.
And if that episode destroyed her life, i can't even imagine how this episode ends up doing to it (mind you, this time she actually deserves to be messed with, but it all started in Boast busters where she did not).

I'm glad someone agrees with me about Boast Busters. It's probably the most poorly written episode in the series. The way Trixie was handled in that episode is just all wrong.

I did like this episode though. I'd probably give it a totally different ending if I could, but I'm more than satisfied with the episode the way it is. I expected it to be good, and I was still pleasantly surprised.

QUOTE(Sobana @ Dec 4 2012, 06:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also imagine Trixie wasn't complaining about the low pay on the rock farm, seeing how she managed to make enough to stuff a bag full of bits to tempt a greedy merchant, but rather complaining she had to resort to physical labor to make a living.

Trixie is a stage magician, it's her talent, her special ability, part of what makes her, her.
Imagine everyone having an innate special ability, something that would rule over our lives, our careers, our likes, our personalities.
Imagine if society revolved lot around those special abilities and everyone followed theirs in one way or the other.
Imagine then, suddenly, being denied that special ability, being denied doing what is basically your purpose in life, denied your very self, and all because of something you were not even at fault of.

That would be enough to make anyone snap.

I always thought the joke is that the rock farm is ridiculous. It's not a mine. It's not a quarry. They're not digging for rocks. They're literally growing rocks like crops. Ordinary rocks. Somehow. The work isn't just hard or tedious. It's absurd.

edit-
I did like the Zecora being able to do magic part.
Shows that beings other than ponies, and especially beings other than Unicorns, can do magic.
Would it be possible for an earth pony to learn magic?
It would probably be very different than Unicorn magic (more magic circles and dribble candles maybe?), and lot harder, but with this reveal it might be possible.

All ponies possess magic, as do zebras and some (possibly all) wildlife. Where they differ is in how they use their magic. Pegasuses use theirs to stand on clouds. Unicorns can learn to manipulate magic the same way. Earth ponies use their magic to be supernaturally good at working with plants and animals. That's why so many earth ponies grow food. Fluttershy's powers are almost certainly earth pony magic. Given that Unicorns can use magic the way pegasuses do, and it's apparently possible for a pegasus to use magic the way earth ponies do, I see no reason earth ponies cannot use magic the way unicorns and pegasuses do. It'd probably be crazy hard, but still possible.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#240 Caldwin

Caldwin

I'm coming for you!

• Supporter
  • 24719 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

I refer you to Pinkie Pie.