Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Nevermore : (08 August 2020 - 09:11 AM)

Is $30 a good deal for Subscription Service Breakdown?

@  Trpodeca : (08 August 2020 - 06:24 AM)

Oh dear God no. Twitter has changed it's default layout to the terrible new one. Why waste so much space on the left?

@  Steevy Maximus : (07 August 2020 - 08:28 PM)

@Bass X0, yeah, the Joe comic got REALLY solid in the upper 20s to the Cobra Civil War. It's interesting to see how well the Joe comic has aged relative to the cartoon. Where as I feel the opposite is true of Transformers

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 August 2020 - 03:58 PM)

Its so fun watching past TF Conventions.

@  Bass X0 : (07 August 2020 - 02:20 PM)

I've been reading classic 80s G.I. Joe lately. Its still decent even though I don't have any nostalgia towards it.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 08:50 AM)

Think of it as Adam West Batman instead. ;)

@  wonko the sane? : (07 August 2020 - 07:49 AM)

That sounds more like the flash, or maybe booster gold than batman.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 12:27 AM)

They would get bored fighting each other and instead decide to take an epic cross-country road trip together.

@  RichardT1977 : (06 August 2020 - 08:57 PM)

What would happen if Batman were to fight Squirrel Girl?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 09:03 PM)

Unless you count the Mask vs Lobo special, but that's less a duel and more a duet.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 08:52 PM)

My favorite crossover fight was Thor vs Shazam/Captain Marvel. Early in the fight, Thor discovers that Billy Batson needs lightning to transform, and being a god of lightning he simply denies him that.

@  Sabrblade : (04 August 2020 - 08:46 PM)

Let's see a fight between Death Battle and Super Power Beat Down

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

Which Lobo later claimed was because he was paid to take a dive. Yes, really.

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

And then there's the times it's been decided by a fan vote, which is how we get things like Lobo (who can go toe-to-toe with Superman at full strength) losing to Wolverine.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

And then there are the "but my favorite characater will totes win because I say so" people.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

I mean, there are some people who really approach this from a somewhat reasonable standpoint, coming up with a plausible scenario and a setting that creates a fair environment that doesn't favor one character.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:46 PM)

My favorite stupid "why would they even fight each other" question recently was about three versions of Optimus Prime (G1, Bayverse and Aligned).

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:45 PM)

Batman obviously can beat everyone. Even Galactus. He's Batman. He's so smart, he'll just throw a Batarang and hit the weak spot at Galactus's forehead, knocking him out instantaneously.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 August 2020 - 11:37 AM)

It's almost like all drama is just manufactured pissing contests to keep us all entertained and distracted. :p

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (04 August 2020 - 10:16 AM)

Or they could go White Ranger vs Scorpion route and have both win. ;P

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Besides, we all know the answer is nearly always "they fight to a standstill and then team up against a common enemy."

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:29 AM)

The best way to prove this is to give an example where the match is really lopsided in favor of one character but in popularity they're either evenly matched or the weaker one is more popular.

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:27 AM)

The "who would win in a fight" discussions are really just people trying to make "which one's better" into something you can theoretically measure objectively, usually in a very specific way they think they've predetermined their favorite will win.

@  Otaku : (04 August 2020 - 02:01 AM)

@Nevermore So... you're saying you didn't like DC Versus Marvel/Marvel Versus DC?

@  Steevy Maximus : (03 August 2020 - 06:59 PM)

So, what happened to Hasbro's Zoids relaunch? An English dub, some stuff in southeast Asia, and now a game coming in October? That it?

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 10:46 AM)

Tidal wave, cause shooting water gets you nowhere.

@  Darth Gonzo : (03 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Who would win Tidal Wave or Broadside?

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:17 AM)

Btw Happy birthday to those people in the box to the right \o/

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:16 AM)

The bottom line is obvious. It makes no literal sense to fight someone on your faction. :/

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 06:14 AM)

That's because you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to just stack skills and ability against each other. It's not the palace of doom, it's an episode of american gladiators.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:32 AM)

The only obvious winners of such a fight would be the bad guys.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

And what does it even matter? They should work together, not stupidly fight each other for the mindless entertainment of idiot onlookers.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

Why would two good guys fight each other? What are they fighting over?

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:28 AM)

I never understood these "who would win in a fight between two good guys" discussions. They make no sense to me.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 04:17 PM)

If G1 had continued we'd have had Starscream back in spirit - through Krunk, Snapdragons partner and possibly Skullcruncher unless he was mute.

@  Bass X0 : (02 August 2020 - 12:28 PM)

There are some decent impersonators in fandubs though.

@  -LittleAutob... : (02 August 2020 - 10:45 AM)

The only true Starscream voices are Steve Blum and Chris Latta, hands down.

@  Sabrblade : (02 August 2020 - 10:14 AM)

Why they didn't have Scott McNeil voicing that Starscream, when he was the one who had imitated Chris Latta when he voiced Cobra Commander in the DiC G.I. Joe cartoon, is beyond me.

@  wonko the sane? : (02 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Say what you will, that was an awesome scene.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 08:36 AM)

Beast Wars Starsream "I am AIR COMMANDER Starscream of the DECEPTICON BATTLEFLEET!"

@  Nevermore : (02 August 2020 - 07:02 AM)

I liked TF: Prime Starscream.

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:36 PM)

Hearing Starscream's screechy voice in Cyberverse has to be the most annoying thing ever in Transformers. Even his G1 voice wasn't as bad. :doh

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:35 PM)

KUP!

@  Sabrblade : (01 August 2020 - 04:58 PM)

Urkel!

@  TheMightyMol... : (01 August 2020 - 03:16 PM)

Steeeeeeeeve.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (01 August 2020 - 02:57 AM)

LEEEROOOOOOOOY! jhenkenz...

@  Hg Dragon : (01 August 2020 - 01:21 AM)

Candleja-

@  Sabrblade : (31 July 2020 - 11:02 PM)

Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice!

@  Echowarrior : (31 July 2020 - 10:18 PM)

Spongebob!

@  TheMightyMol... : (31 July 2020 - 05:13 PM)

KHAAAAAAAN

Photo
* * * - - 3 votes

RWBY

347 replies to this topic

#21 Demovere Xeno

Demovere Xeno

Not a model, perhaps

• Citizen
  • 3981 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:33 AM

QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Nov 9 2012, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's also kinda refreshing that Monty's toned down his usual fanservice angle, at least for this segment (given that the focal character is explicitly a younger girl. Who's to say what happens with the interpretation of "the fairest of them all", Snow White, or the other two?). Not to say that Ruby doesn't have her own brand of sexiness, but it's in the form of a demure, understated coquettishness laced with a confident professionalism, rather than skimpy outfits and the outright flirtatiousness of his previous videos. It goes a long way in presenting this project as something beyond his casual "exploitation" pieces, something more artistically "legitimate".

I never really felt that his earlier works were 'fanservice-y' in the stereotypical anime definition; aside from moments here and there, their fanservice moments mostly consisted of shout-outs to aspects of their own stories (weapons, fighting moves, etc.) and other franchises. That said, I do agree that there's a different, more 'serious' feel to this trailer alone compared to Haloid and Dead Fantasy - though to be fair, those two were essentially Fan-Wank-Rule-of-Cool cranked up to the max setting.

Also, with what you observed from Ruby's fighting style, I now expect White's fighting style to be elegant and dance-like, Black's to be feral and/or carnal in some way, and Yellow's to be (even more) unusual and showy - if I try and make guesses based on their silhouettes and colors. icon-fire.gif

#22 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19427 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:20 AM

QUOTE(Demovere Xeno @ Nov 9 2012, 11:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I never really felt that his earlier works were 'fanservice-y' in the stereotypical anime definition; aside from moments here and there, their fanservice moments mostly consisted of shout-outs to aspects of their own stories

There's the skimpy costumes, the dance videos, the whole "lesbian ending" to Haloid...

While obviously the skimpy outfits were directly lifted from their parent series, it's pretty blatant the kind of feel he was trying to give the whole thing...

#23 Demovere Xeno

Demovere Xeno

Not a model, perhaps

• Citizen
  • 3981 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:58 PM

QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Nov 10 2012, 12:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Demovere Xeno @ Nov 9 2012, 11:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I never really felt that his earlier works were 'fanservice-y' in the stereotypical anime definition; aside from moments here and there, their fanservice moments mostly consisted of shout-outs to aspects of their own stories

There's the skimpy costumes, the dance videos, the whole "lesbian ending" to Haloid...

While obviously the skimpy outfits were directly lifted from their parent series, it's pretty blatant the kind of feel he was trying to give the whole thing...

Heh, maybe I've just gotten desensitized to fanservice. icon-fire.gif And I always stopped his previous videos before they got to the 'lesbian ending'/dance video parts. icon-waspy.gif

#24 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

Holy Electric Boogaloo Batman! I think

• Staff
  • 14564 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:00 AM

Just finished watching montys Dead Fantasy and Haloid.

Yeah, Haloid ending is just plain weird, but i was actually starting to enjoy the madness of Dead Fantasy. I'm guessing that if Dead Fantasy ever continues beyond the girls Gee dance video, Tifa will return.

Anyway seeing them and the RWBY trailer i am now very interested to see what this new series will.be, and i'm actually hoping it is Snow White, Belle and er Goldylocks?

Still it would be nice if Monty could return to Dead Fantasy sometime.

fslookup.jpg

#25 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 21522 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

Hey, it's White!

Fighting a Knight!

ty3jHaa.jpg

#26 Confuzor

Confuzor

They put em in Smash Bros!!!!

• Supporter
  • 8249 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

Awesome! I like Red a little better, but this was still cool!

I'm guessing the next one is Black then.

I hope we'll end up getting the 4 girls teaming up to fight a single enemy, this animator does a great job with tag-team fights.

#27 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 21522 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:27 PM

QUOTE(Confuzor @ Feb 14 2013, 09:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope we'll end up getting the 4 girls teaming up to fight a single enemy, this animator does a great job with tag-team fights.

Isn't B 'Blue'?

ty3jHaa.jpg

#28 TriBlurr

TriBlurr

The Purple Monkey

• Citizen
  • 6657 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:41 PM

Dig the color changing sword.

Think I liked Red a bit more too. But this was still lovely to watch.

#29 Confuzor

Confuzor

They put em in Smash Bros!!!!

• Supporter
  • 8249 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

QUOTE(Master Fwiffo @ Feb 14 2013, 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Confuzor @ Feb 14 2013, 09:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Isn't B 'Blue'?

Judging by that teaser image at the end of both videos it seems Black to me. Honestly, I'd prefer it to be Blue, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

#30 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19427 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

I'm pretty sure it's black. Y'know, like the song lyrics say?

#31 Cat

Cat
  • Retired Staff
  • 11612 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

Reminded me of Sucker Punch a wee bit.

Fantastic use of music in both trailers so far. Really stands out.

Very interesting weaponry in both trailers. I love the colour/ability changing sword.

What do we call Ruby's weapon? A 'Scyfle'?

#32 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19427 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE(Cat @ Feb 14 2013, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What do we call Ruby's weapon? A 'Scyfle'?

If you must, I guess. Or just go by its official name "Crescent Rose".

#33 tec

tec

Shhhh or she will take your yubi's

• Supporter
  • 32724 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:14 PM

Im loveing what Im seeing great music to

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#34 Demovere Xeno

Demovere Xeno

Not a model, perhaps

• Citizen
  • 3981 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:15 PM

It might just be because Ruby was fighting dozens of foes while White was fighting only one (admittedly large) guy, but so far it's an interesting contrast between their fighting styles and their weapons. Ruby uses a big 'screw-you' weapon for relentless 'all-or-nothing' recoil-based attacks, while White dodges more and relies on powerful single strikes despite using a smaller blade.

If that really is the case, I hope Monty keeps using that concept to its visual advantage - imagine things like Ruby spinning all over the place while White expertly zips through openings in Ruby's attacks, locking their foes up and striking with precision. icon-ironhide.gif

#35 tec

tec

Shhhh or she will take your yubi's

• Supporter
  • 32724 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

And can I get a game with Rubys fighting and weapon

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#36 Black~Mesa

Black~Mesa
  • Citizen
  • 384 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:26 AM

QUOTE(ZeroX @ Nov 10 2012, 03:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dead Fantasy started to get really disturbing by the time I stopped watching. Monty is good with creating over the top CGI fight sequences, but he needs to have someone else do the writing for him because I think he might have trouble reigning himself in.

Seriously, how did a series about "video game girls from different series having a huge random, but bloodless, battle" become "Tifa being graphically murdered in one of the most unpleasently drawn-out, misogynistic sequences to watch ever"?

And yeah, the whole lesbian female Master Chief and Samus fondling thing in Haloid.

That's why I'm reserving any and all excitement for this series until I see some actual character moments.

I enjoyed his videos more before he added the blood, I think the series is kind of 'dead in the water' at this point.

I always believed that was supposed to be Nicole, the female Spartan from Dead or Alive.

This series may not catch my interest as much as the previous one did, but he has gotten a lot better.

#37 TriBlurr

TriBlurr

The Purple Monkey

• Citizen
  • 6657 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:22 PM

#38 Onyx

Onyx

Quintesson Hunter

• Supporter
  • 4579 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:00 PM

^Seems that way.

Anyone able to hear the Lyrics to this song at all?

#39 TriBlurr

TriBlurr

The Purple Monkey

• Citizen
  • 6657 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:59 PM

QUOTE(ZeroX @ Mar 22 2013, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After reading some discussion, it appears that some people are speculating that Adam's(The real name of the guy in this trailer) rose motif makes him the "Beast" to Black's "Beauty".

Perhaps they are still keeping the Fairy Tale theme in subtle ways after all.

That was my line of thought after watching it. Beauty and the Beast.

Anyway, looking forward to Yellow, and the eventual series as well.

#40 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19427 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:20 PM

QUOTE(ZeroX @ Mar 22 2013, 05:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After reading some discussion, it appears that some people are speculating that Adam's(The real name of the guy in this trailer) rose motif makes him the "Beast" to Black's "Beauty".

Perhaps they are still keeping the Fairy Tale theme in subtle ways after all. It would also explain why a side character got such a massive role in Black's trailer.

I thought that Monty confirmed that all the characters where "inspired" by the fairy tale characters, but that the story wouldn't be governed by those same tales.

So you've got a Red Riding Hood-esque character, for example, but she wouldn't be confined to the woods and out to rescue her granny or anything like tha, and she won't always be fighting wolves. Just aping stylistic motifs.

Voice acting in this could've been a bit better, but it's hard to expect huge things from amateur works, and without professional recording equipment. Things like Red vs. Blue get away with it get away with it because they're comedic works, where the voice work is allowed to be goofy and "off", but it's more noticeable in "dramatic" works like this. Still, at least we're talkling "90's anime dub" and not "ear-bleedingly terrible".

And gunblade kama, eh? I guess that's a little different. Not quite as flashy as the first two, but this pair seems more defined by the team dynamic. Maybe. Not sure what's up with the "betrayal" at the end. Maybe there was just part of the mission she was secretly instructed to complete solo, or something. It certainly wasn't a malicious twist.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users