Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Pennpenn : (19 September 2018 - 09:07 AM)

It's an annoying thing to have happen in any game. I'm hoping they actually finish releasing all the story mode parts before 3 comes out.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (19 September 2018 - 06:24 AM)

Ahh. Hadn't played that in a long time.. Since before the PVP I think.

@  Pennpenn : (19 September 2018 - 04:33 AM)

Kingdom Hearts Union Cross. Specifically the PVP fights.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (19 September 2018 - 04:31 AM)

What game PennPenn

@  Pennpenn : (19 September 2018 - 03:13 AM)

Man, I love it when you've got limited attempts at something in a game, said game crashes at the end of the thing, so you lose the attempt but don't get any credit.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 September 2018 - 08:44 PM)

I know. I'm back to the classic purple for the first time since the comic theme was introduced.

@  Fenix Twilight : (18 September 2018 - 08:32 PM)

Alright thanks, gonna be weird without the speech bubble boxes but I'll manage.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 September 2018 - 07:59 PM)

Nope, ongoing problem for a bunch of us. The mods know, so... just hunker down and wait. In the mean time: changing themes will sort it out for a bit. Only the comic theme is affected.

@  Fenix Twilight : (18 September 2018 - 05:36 PM)

Is something going on? I'm missing the buttons to go to the newest post and there's no banner for the forum list, it just says "logo" in the corner.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 September 2018 - 06:03 AM)

Leader-1!

@  Whirl Maximus : (18 September 2018 - 02:25 AM)

"huh?" 'chuckle' in every reaction shot. That's all I remember of Armada.

@  Paladin : (16 September 2018 - 07:36 PM)

if youre looking for sympathy its in the dictionary between shit & syphilis.

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 September 2018 - 03:10 PM)

Uuuhhhhhh.......

@  Rycochet : (15 September 2018 - 11:56 AM)

Due to it's concentrated lousiness, even small doses of Energon will age you, yes.

@  Lazy Garou : (15 September 2018 - 10:32 AM)

unicron trilogy video was great, but made me feel a hundred years old.

@  wonko the sane? : (12 September 2018 - 07:32 AM)

Awesome. Good job man.

@  Lazy Garou : (11 September 2018 - 09:30 PM)

cleaning up, mostly.but the little plastic piece where the power cable hooked up was broken. That I managed to put back together.

@  Patch : (11 September 2018 - 04:48 PM)

So he also has White Castle-like qualities?

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 September 2018 - 02:23 PM)

Just keep him away from the plumbing, he's really hard on the pipes.

@  RichardT1977 : (11 September 2018 - 01:22 PM)

Overlord has some castle-like qualities to him

@  wonko the sane? : (11 September 2018 - 12:15 PM)

Fix it, like, found a working power adaptor, or fix it like: there was saudering involved.

@  Lazy Garou : (11 September 2018 - 11:58 AM)

that feeling when you fix something and works like a dream. we now have a working snes in my house and I have tested 10 games on it and they all work.

@  Arazyr : (11 September 2018 - 10:44 AM)

...Now I want a Transformer that turns into a castle.

@  wonko the sane? : (11 September 2018 - 09:37 AM)

You should be careful man, lots of allsparkers life in castle law states. It's a good way to get shot you know.

@  ▲ndrusi : (11 September 2018 - 09:35 AM)

Which house? Mine? Dammit I thought I locked my door!

@  GrungeWerX : (11 September 2018 - 01:20 AM)

GrungeWerX in tha HOUSE!!! WOOT!!

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2018 - 11:54 PM)

There's been consistently good sc-fi flicks; most just fly under the radar as lower-budget or indie pictures

@  Steevy Maximus : (10 September 2018 - 09:28 PM)

If you can forget about that garbage Ghost in the Shell feature...

@  Steevy Maximus : (10 September 2018 - 09:27 PM)

Upgrade is a GREAT dark sci fi throwback film. Kind of feels like the genre has been nailing some good stuff after a LONG time of drek

@  Sabrblade : (10 September 2018 - 06:34 PM)

Hey, Steve is a Vehicon!

@  abates : (10 September 2018 - 04:44 PM)

I thought it was spelled "Stege".

@  Arazyr : (10 September 2018 - 02:10 PM)

So, "I before E, except after Siege"? :D

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (10 September 2018 - 01:59 PM)

Memorandum to all: the word "siege" is spelled with the "i" before the "e".

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (08 September 2018 - 12:55 PM)

Happy birthday to Star Trek and Star Trek: The Animated Series!

@  MEDdMI : (08 September 2018 - 07:55 AM)

*smacks TMM upside the head*

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 September 2018 - 02:51 AM)

& Knuckles.

@  Pennpenn : (07 September 2018 - 11:01 PM)

Re: Coded?

@  Waspinator : (07 September 2018 - 09:14 PM)

Final Fantasy: The Movie: The Game: Pocket Edition HD Boogaloo

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (07 September 2018 - 01:03 AM)

Funny thing is, I think the pocket edition graphics give the game more personality.

@  MEDdMI : (06 September 2018 - 11:10 PM)

Final Finception

@  Waspinator : (06 September 2018 - 10:29 PM)

They've made a PS4 version of Final Fantasy 15 Pocket Edition. For those keeping score, it's the PS4 version of a smartphone version of a PS4 game.

@  wonko the sane? : (05 September 2018 - 09:20 PM)

Ah HA! turns out the trick to installing the rift software was to run it as an admin. Stupid windows 10.

@  wonko the sane? : (05 September 2018 - 04:58 PM)

Awright! I got the display port working! Which means I can now connect my occulus rift!

@  MEDdMI : (04 September 2018 - 10:38 PM)

*just stares*

@  Noideaforaname : (04 September 2018 - 09:36 PM)

Hello there

@  wonko the sane? : (04 September 2018 - 09:06 PM)

Howdy.

@  RichardT1977 : (03 September 2018 - 07:11 PM)

Or just a set of arms and shoulder cannons that combined Legends Godbomber with CW Optimus.

@  RichardT1977 : (03 September 2018 - 07:10 PM)

I still wish someone would make an upgrade kit for Combiner Wars Optimus that transformed from a trailer to a set of limbs with Powermaster shoulder cannons...

@  NotVeryKnightly : (03 September 2018 - 09:48 AM)

I read that as "Basilisky" for some reason.

@  Anonymous X : (03 September 2018 - 03:45 AM)

Basicslly

Photo
* * * - - 3 votes

RWBY

335 replies to this topic

#1 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19125 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:01 AM

For those of you out there who enjoy Monty Oum's slick, over-the-top anime-esque wire-fu choreography spectaculars, 2013's looking to be a real treat for the senses.

Seems to be aiming for a more dramatic/artistic feel than Rooster Teeth's Red vs. Blue web series. They're promising some story to go along with this, so it might not be just another Monty Oum self-indulgent fight-fest (as fun as those are).

Great sense of style to this trailer. The "superflat" artstyle, with the characters almost in silhouette, is gorgeous, and helps cover the roughness of the CG models (hey, not everyone can afford a Pixar-level supercomputer). Of course physics just flies out the window as Monty is wont to, but the girl does have a better sense of "weight" behind her movements than in some of his earlier works. The little lullaby-type melody they put together for this teaser is beautiful and haunting. Girl can sure hit some notes.

...and now I really want an action figure of "Red", complete with transforming scythe-rifle.

[edit]D'oh, wrong section

Edited by mx-01 archon, 08 November 2012 - 03:06 AM.

#2 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

Whispered secrets of a Shattered Age! Renew this Sage!

• Staff
  • 11641 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:47 AM

I like it! Stylish and slick, although for a second i thought the girl was vincent valentine.

This will hopefully be good. And guns that transform into melee weapons awesome!

fslookup.jpg

#3 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 62916 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:24 AM

Very cool video. The scythe action reminded me of Ninja Gaiden.

Moving to General.

#4 Ironbite

Ironbite

I might be a touch....angry

• Supporter
  • 26105 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:20 AM

Nice and the concept behind the scythe-rifle is actually pretty solid. If you break physics for it to work that is. Be interested to see where they go with this now that RvB animated isn't gonna go on.

Ironbite-more's the pity with that.

xC9l3eY.gif

#5 Onyx

Onyx

Quintesson Hunter

• Supporter
  • 4576 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:15 AM

I've been watching that trailer over and over again since late Monday night. That song is stuck in my head now, and you're right, it is rather haunting. (and I like it!) Ruby's (Monty named her in the Drunk Tank Podcast yesterday) character design is fantastic! Loving the Scythe Rifle so very much and I cant wait to see what the other three ladies look like and who they are!

R - Ruby = Little Red Ridding Hood
W - ??? = Snow White?
B - ??? = Beauty and the Beast or Sleeping Beauty?
Y - ??? = Goldilocks?

Theory going around is that they are all based on the Brothers Grimm Fairy-tales. Cant wait to see just what Monty comes up with.

#6 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 20403 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

I'm planning on watching it. Should be fun.

ty3jHaa.jpg

#7 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19125 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

QUOTE(Ironbite @ Nov 8 2012, 06:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice and the concept behind the scythe-rifle is actually pretty solid. If you break physics for it to work that is.

Obviously Ruby is Dante's daughter, for her to take those improbable shots, and for the massive recoil on that rifle to not tear her arms off every time she fires it unbraced (love how in the opening barrage she actually plants the pointy end in the ground as a makeshift monopod).

Not that it's likely that a .50cal generates that much recoil in the first place, and bullet jumping is purely within the realm of fantasy.

But that's what suspension of disbelief is for icon-waspy.gif.

The important part is that the concept makes you believe that it works, on which I think this is Monty's best work to date in that regard. In a lot of his previous videos (especially Dead Fantasy), the power levels of the characters would fluctuate wildly so that the characters could show off, but then be presented on fairly even grounds so that they all get their turns. There was little consistency with how strong an attack or power could be at any given moment, as long as it aided in extending the action.

Here, though, as I mentioned earlier, Ruby seems to move with a more grounded sense of "weight", and the mechanics of her weapon seem to work on a fairly consistent basis. As a result, there's a very visceral sense of "rhythm" to her movements, which really clicks, giving you a mechanical setting that while not realistic, is "believable" within its own confines. I certainly hope that feeling continues through to the full series, because it ups the already incredible fight choreography that Monty is known for to a whole other level. And if the series' writing is good enough to sell you on the characters, then all the better.

#8 Demovere Xeno

Demovere Xeno

Pinky to pinky~

• Citizen
  • 3504 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:44 PM

I've enjoyed Monty's previous works, and seeing how much he's improved in this trailer alone is pretty incredible. The setting, the aesthetics, the fluidity, the music... just amazing.

QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Nov 8 2012, 12:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...and now I really want an action figure of "Red", complete with transforming scythe-rifle.

Let's hope this becomes popular enough that Max Factory decides to extend an offer, then. icon-fire.gif

#9 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19125 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:49 PM

QUOTE(Demovere Xeno @ Nov 8 2012, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Nov 8 2012, 12:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Let's hope this becomes popular enough that Max Factory decides to extend an offer, then. icon-fire.gif

One can only hope. They're the company that gave the world Figma Billy Herrington, after all.

Not to mention the massive merchandising campaign that followed Black Rock Shooter's creation. Somebody just needs to post these vids to NicoNico...

#10 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

Copper and Boo's Smol Boi Toi

• Supporter
  • 59676 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:00 PM

they had me at

Pump action shotgun scythe

#11 TriBlurr

TriBlurr

The Purple Monkey

• Citizen
  • 6221 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:06 AM

QUOTE(Destron D-69 @ Nov 9 2012, 12:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
they had me at

Ditto.

I await trailers for the other 3 girls.

#12 Onyx

Onyx

Quintesson Hunter

• Supporter
  • 4576 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:49 AM

QUOTE(Destron D-69 @ Nov 8 2012, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
they had me at

Shotgun Scythe that fires 50 cal rounds! Can't wait to see the other 3 girls, and to find out who they are and what they're capable of.

#13 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19125 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:32 PM

Isn't it bolt action, rather than pump action?

#14 Onyx

Onyx

Quintesson Hunter

• Supporter
  • 4576 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Nov 9 2012, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think so, yeah. It has the handle thing on the side that she pulls back and turns upward before turning it back down and in again.

#15 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19125 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:11 PM

It occurs to me that if they're planning on getting all these characters together for a cohesive storyline, rather than just a bunch of solo vignettes, realistically Ruby here'd be a horrible teammate to have in close-quarters friendly-fire scenarios. Or even if she has to fight in populated areas.

Whenever she uses that recoil trick to boost her cutting power, there's a bullet coming out the end of that thing that's gonna ruin someone's day. Having to closely measure the angle of her scythe sweeps seems incredibly burdensome.

Of course, being a Monty Oum production, it's just another excuse for more improbable combat gymnastics, and it'll look glorious.

Edited by mx-01 archon, 09 November 2012 - 02:12 PM.

#16 Onyx

Onyx

Quintesson Hunter

• Supporter
  • 4576 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:00 PM

OMG! I was thinking about that last night! Like, you know how in just about EVERY group fight, they have that moment when they're back to back? How would that work with her weapon? I mean, sure she could turn it back into a Rifle/Shotgun and just shoot the enemy, but that's not nearly as flashy as the Scythe. (and we all know Monty LOVES his flashy, over the top fight scenes)

It'll be fun to see how Monty handle that. Plus like you said, a populated area would be problematic and collateral damage would be almost unavoidable.

#17 Canthros

Canthros

Why don't Pac-Man wanna eat eyes?

• Citizen
  • 2919 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

QUOTE(Airachnid @ Nov 9 2012, 02:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Nov 9 2012, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think so, yeah. It has the handle thing on the side that she pulls back and turns upward before turning it back down and in again.

The spent cartridges also appear to be some variety of high-powered rifle ammunition, not shotgun shells. (Shotgun shells aren't bottlenecked, for starts.)

I confess to being kinda mystified by the bolt action mechanism. It's a weird detail, and one I find kind of jarring. A pump seems like it would be more sensible (by virtue of being easier to use), and an autoloader would be infinitely more practical on this completely preposterous, totally made-up origami weapon.

Otherwise, it looks interesting, in an empty-headed, eye-candy sort of way. Rather like a lot of anime, honestly.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.

#18 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19125 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:21 PM

QUOTE(Canthros @ Nov 9 2012, 01:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I confess to being kinda mystified by the bolt action mechanism. It's a weird detail, and one I find kind of jarring. A pump seems like it would be more sensible (by virtue of being easier to use), and an autoloader would be infinitely more practical on this completely preposterous, totally made-up origami weapon.

*ahem*

It could also turn out that this is set in some sort-of Steampunk fantasy world where automatic weapons don't exist yet, for all we know.

Otherwise, it looks interesting, in an empty-headed, eye-candy sort of way. Rather like a lot of anime, honestly.

I'd rather not make that sort of judgement call without seeing any hint of the story they've got planned around this thing.

Also, we've gotta do something about your choices in anime icon-waspy.gif.

#19 Demovere Xeno

Demovere Xeno

Pinky to pinky~

• Citizen
  • 3504 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:32 PM

Watching the trailer again, I got the impression that the second clip contains significantly more powerful rounds compared to the first clip. The blasts she fires after switching become larger and are black instead of white, the force behind said blasts is increased, and the clip itself is marked with a symbol while the first isn't.

Or I may be overanalyzing the Crazy Over-The-Top Fight Scene Trailer. icon-fire.gif

#20 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19125 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:29 PM

QUOTE(Demovere Xeno @ Nov 9 2012, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or I may be overanalyzing the Crazy Over-The-Top Fight Scene Trailer. icon-fire.gif

Join the club. Can't stop analyzing cause I can't stop watching it.

It's also kinda refreshing that Monty's toned down his usual fanservice angle, at least for this segment (given that the focal character is explicitly a younger girl. Who's to say what happens with the interpretation of "the fairest of them all", Snow White, or the other two?). Not to say that Ruby doesn't have her own brand of sexiness, but it's in the form of a demure, understated coquettishness laced with a confident professionalism, rather than skimpy outfits and the outright flirtatiousness of his previous videos. It goes a long way in presenting this project as something beyond his casual "exploitation" pieces, something more artistically "legitimate".

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users