Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 02:14 PM)

It's too bad it's like this because some of what they're doing with tiny cars is pretty cool, but I'm not willing to sign up for that f-ing hassle.

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 02:13 PM)

At this point I'm trying to decide how much of a markup I'm willing to pay some scalper scum or if I should just say to hell with it.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (18 September 2019 - 02:11 PM)

That is pretty much the constant story with Hot Wheels. Anything you might actually want has most likely been picked clean and marked up.

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 02:02 PM)

I've been watching some Youtube Hot Wheels videos out of boredom and discovered there exists a new car that just came out maybe a month ago that looks just like one I had when I was little, and I've been looking around hoping to get it. Slim picking everywhere, but online there are a slew of sellers asking for 3 and 4x the retail price, plus a hefty shipping markup.

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 01:59 PM)

Oh, that explains the problem I've encountered with finding one little car

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 September 2019 - 01:31 PM)

Oh boy. I work at Target, and literally every single morning, there are two or three guys outside who make a beeline straight to the Hot Wheels.

@  Steevy Maximus : (18 September 2019 - 01:00 PM)

Hot Wheels

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 12:25 PM)

Which collecting community has the worst scalpers?

@  TM2-Megatron : (17 September 2019 - 09:55 PM)

I've never read the source material and don't know much about it, but I enjoyed the first film quite a bit, and found the second alright

@  Sabrblade : (17 September 2019 - 09:49 PM)

The first movie was definitely not for me. I flat out hated it. Didn't even bother with the sequel.

@  Maruten : (17 September 2019 - 05:02 PM)

I liked the first movie a lot and enjoyed the original volume of the book, and the way they were developed in parallel was really interesting. It all got super extra unpleasant as soon as they went back though. I don't remember really whether the initial sequels are "good" or not, but either way both the second movie and the second run of the book quickly demonstrated that the property sure wasn't for me.

@  Paladin : (17 September 2019 - 04:45 PM)

i have a real hard time offering praise of anything connected to an utter shitstain like Mark Millar.

@  Rycochet : (17 September 2019 - 01:23 PM)

Kick Ass 2 was okay for what it was, a sequel to a film that was okay, just okay. It had a good performance from Nic Cage while the sequel had Jim Carrey who decided he didn't want to promote it after one of america's regularly scheduled massacres.

@  Benbot : (17 September 2019 - 12:20 PM)

Was Kick Ass 2 really that bad? I never got around to seeing it, but after watching the first movie again the other day, I'm thinking about it.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 September 2019 - 01:54 PM)

Why do you feel a need to label yourself for doing something harmless?

@  Telly : (13 September 2019 - 11:10 AM)

thats more than i look at on reddit

@  Benbot : (13 September 2019 - 10:49 AM)

am I a basic bitch for only browsing the front page of Reddit?

@  Shrug : (12 September 2019 - 12:26 PM)

I managed to find about 2/3s of my goal Sega Genesis collection before the last price bump

@  Anonymous X : (12 September 2019 - 11:11 AM)

So relieved that I picked up most of my NTSC GameCube collection in 2010/11 before prices on the secondary market went bezerk...

@  unluckiness : (12 September 2019 - 12:54 AM)

I have fond memories of it since it was the last console Mario Kart that didn't have the ridiculous pre-race cart assembly

@  TM2-Megatron : (11 September 2019 - 10:26 PM)

Like many Gamecube games, underrated

@  unluckiness : (11 September 2019 - 09:24 AM)

Double Dash is great. Just watch out for blue shells

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 07:43 AM)

I used a double dash on my mobile. The chat didn’t like it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 September 2019 - 04:17 AM)

The mobile version of the site chokes on certain characters, I think.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 September 2019 - 04:10 AM)

what's with that punctuation anyway

@  Nevermore : (11 September 2019 - 03:20 AM)

Now where did that come from, Bass X0?

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 01:52 AM)

Politics and Religion — tools of foul play!

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you owe, you're expected to actually pay it at the time you file, before they even process your return

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you file electronically, I find you usually get your refund within a couple weeks

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 06:22 PM)

Well, lucky it took less than two months for me. For a little over 200 Euros.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Pretty much, yeah. Canada revenue will be all up your ass if you earn less than 200K and owe tax, but your refund is basically "duke nukem forever".

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Whereas if you overpaid and they have to refund you, they will take their sweet time to let you know.

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Like, here in Germany, if the tax authority responds to your tax report quickly, you can rest assured they want more money.

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:33 PM)

Do tax authorities in other countries base their time to respond to filed tax reports on whether they owe or are owed as well?

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 11:13 AM)

Check what the requirements are for your cad program, and try to beat them by about 20%, and understand that software requirements have been stable for a few years: not really keeping up with the advancements in hardware. Unless you're doing something SPECIFIC which requires ludicrous amounts of power, just give your self a cushion on hardware and don't bother going whole hog.

@  Benbot : (10 September 2019 - 10:16 AM)

What I'm currently using is an i5 2018 Surface Laptop. My current desktop is all but dead. I think in the end affordability will win out over specs. I need to use CAD programs, but I'm a student, not a professional.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 10:06 AM)

Okay. Whats the specs on the I7 and what are you currently using?

@  Benbot : (10 September 2019 - 09:23 AM)

fun and games

@  wonko the sane? : (09 September 2019 - 04:43 PM)

Depends entirely on what you use the computer for.

@  Steevy Maximus : (09 September 2019 - 11:52 AM)

Probably not

@  Benbot : (09 September 2019 - 09:39 AM)

Do I need an i7 on my new computer?

@  Nevermore : (08 September 2019 - 12:08 PM)

https://imgur.com/fkyjpza

@  Nevermore : (08 September 2019 - 12:07 PM)

Today's convention haul:

@  wonko the sane? : (08 September 2019 - 08:54 AM)

But it was Huuunnngrrrryyyy. What was I supposed to do?

@  MEDdMI : (08 September 2019 - 08:23 AM)

But did you feed any small fuzzy creatures after midnight?

@  wonko the sane? : (08 September 2019 - 06:32 AM)

Shouldn't be. I literally just built it. Not even three weeks ago even.

@  TM2-Megatron : (07 September 2019 - 10:13 PM)

Sounds like your computer's on its last lags, Wonko

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 07:37 PM)

Dunno, crucial says it's fine, gonna need a second opinion.

@  Pennpenn : (07 September 2019 - 06:52 PM)

Good luck! (or break a leg if it's like theater luck...)

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 06:46 PM)

Alright. The damages now seem to include my primary SSD. Thankfully, the gaming drive (I have now lost all my games and mods entirely.) Let me wipe it and install there. Once the crucial utility is installed again, will verify the drive.

Photo

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Discussion - SPOILERS

Marvel Shield Coulson MCU Agents of Shield

2992 replies to this topic

#2981 Nevermore

Nevermore

Unionized and proud of it.

• Supporter
  • 12919 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 22 July 2019 - 07:49 PM

So, episode 6. (Yeah, I know, I'm still behind.)

MUCH better. At first I wasn't too hot on an episode set primarily in another mind prison, but the fact that Fitz and Simmons were (mostly) lucid helped, and in the end this was exactly the episode their relationship needed at this point. All this tension built up over the past few seasons, all those loose threads like Astronaut Guy (who, despite what Fitz implies, wasn't actually Hive back when Simmons spent time on Maveth), Leopold/The Doctor, Fitz's brain injury and Simmons' away mission in early season 2, their pre-show relationship, all the crap the writers threw at them, all of that is untangled in a very beautiful and at the same time very organic way. These two would have never found the courage to just talk all these things out in the real world, but this mental connection they shared in this episode brought it all to the front, and boy, was that a ride.

The ending with Doctor Leopold and Undead Simmons making out was predictable (I mean, as Fitz himself put it, they represent the "Id" parts of their personalities, so really, the only thing that kinda surprised me was how long they were circling around the containment box and even having a brief conversation instead of immediately jumping each other hot steamy style), but everything pretty much worked flawessly here. Really, this was an absolutely worthy reunion episode.

The only thing that was poorly timed was the final postscript scene. Don't get me wrong - I'm totally on board with undercutting Mack's stupid "dramatic reveal" by having Daisy guess the twist early (I mean, it's a "duh" moment for the audience too), but such a subverted cliché moment would work better in the middle of an episode, not at the very end. It kinda ruins the moment, as Mack correctly points out.

Edited by Nevermore, 22 July 2019 - 07:53 PM.

"'[Foreigners] at least need to be able to speak proper German.' Okay, what the hell is that supposed to be? Proper German'? Where do they speak that? Have you ever been there? Are you German? Can you engage in a conversation in a Swabian pub? Most people from Cologne already fail at asking for directions in the Eifel region."
- Volker Pispers, German comedian

#2982 Nevermore

Nevermore

• Supporter
  • 12919 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 06:56 PM

Episode 7.

Sigh.

It's one of the stupid episodes again. The title kinda says it all...

- So Fitz, Simmons and Enoch end up back on Kitson. And for a super-advanced living computer, Enoch is extremely slow on the uptake all the time. This is bad comedy.
- Sarge is really an idiot, and an a-hole just fore the sake of it. Assuming he really has "noble" intentions (in the broadest sense), what does he gain by playing his game? Wouldn't putting all his information on the table help him speed things up considerably? Unfortunately, the show is playing by "Lost" rules: Characters acting all ominous and deliberately withholding information from other characters (and by proxy, the audience) is meant to create "suspense". I bet when we finally learn what he knows and doesn't tell, it will be another "Why didn't you just say so?" moment.
- I still have to cringe whenever (supposed) bad guys are incarcerated in a prison within the same compound as the main base of the heroes. That's just an invitation for disaster. And then Agent Khan goes into Jaco's cell all by himself, no backup, nothing. And sure enough, Jaco plays the old "prisoner isn't moving" trick. I guess Agent Khan never watched a movie. And then Jaco breathes fire, and this highly trained agent takes ages to call for backup.
- Did I mention yet that I don't care for this whole space arc? Get these guys off Kitson and back to Earth already. I don't care for all these human-looking aliens at all. ... Oh wait. That "Izel" lady is going to turn out to be that mysterious leader of the Shrike, isn't she?
- So they're apprehending two Shrike-infested humans that were headed towards each other... and their best idea is to put them on the same plane, and bring them to their base? At this point SHIELD is driving around in cars with very obvious SHIELD markings in plain public again. Are you going to tell me they still only have one facility? How about, like, a new super-prison like the Sandbox from season 1? Something that's actually equipped to contain dangerous super-beings and doesn't pose a constant risk for SHIELD's very nerve center?
- Also, Mack didn't pick up Sarge's very obvious sarcastic undertone when he told him they had caught two of the Shrike?
- Can't they just drop that stupid module from the plane? Blow it up with napalm or something? No? Oh wait. These things are super-unkillable. And yet totally helpless against cold. Wait.
- That armed SHIELD agent who gets killed after Yo-Yo opens the module door (WHYYYYYYY??????) appears to be mostly brain-dead. Yo-yo explicitly tells him to fire BEFORE she opens the door, then she has to tell him AGAIN when the Shrike start sprouting blades. Then he fires two shots... and then just keeps staring again in disbelief. Did that moron win his SHIELD membership in the lottery or what? This is not even remotely a believable trained solider. Also, Yo-Yo, YOU HAVE SUPER-SPEED! USE IT! Good thing the Shrike are moving in slow motion...
- If it's that cold to insta-freeze the Shrike, why don't Yo-Yo and Agent whatsherface instantly freeze to death as well?
- Also, why do Sarge and his gang bother with these knives? Why not just use liquid nitrogen all the time and call it a day?
- They already saved the plane, Sarge just gave away his only trump, so why exactly does Mack feel the need to uphold his end of the deal? "Scout's honor"? Or did he just realize the writers made him a terrible, incompetent leader for the sake of forced drama?
- So basically all aliens know about Earth and where it is located. Despite humanity only having like two or three ships that are deep space worthy. Suuuure.

Seriously... What a bunch of idiots all around. It's like, we have this supposedly super-capable organization of super-spies, and they're acting like a bunch of noobs with no sense of tactics, strategy or even just plain common sense.

As I said before, I recall the occasional instance of stupid in previous seasons, but nothing even remotely as genre-blind as what is on display this season. It's just bad writing.

Of the original 6 Avengers, it wouldn't surprise me if only Tony doesn't know. Thor's too used to Loki's lies to be fooled by Sif, Cap and Nat would have read it in the SHIELD files, Clint and Hulk, I dunno, probably just saw him on the news or something. Even Pepper probably speaks to him every other week.

It just occurred to me. Wouldn't Black Widow releasing all of SHIELD's secrets to the public mean the public knows ever since Winter Soldier that Coulson is alive, as well?

Edited by Nevermore, 28 July 2019 - 07:08 PM.

"'[Foreigners] at least need to be able to speak proper German.' Okay, what the hell is that supposed to be? Proper German'? Where do they speak that? Have you ever been there? Are you German? Can you engage in a conversation in a Swabian pub? Most people from Cologne already fail at asking for directions in the Eifel region."

#2983 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 65626 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 29 July 2019 - 07:08 AM

Looks like season 7 will wrap up shooting before the final episode of season 6 airs.

ACItEK8.png

#2984 Cradok

Cradok
  • Citizen
  • 707 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 05:20 AM

Can someone please put Yo-Yo in the bin?

#2985 Devcon

Devcon

'Sup?

• Retired Staff
  • 11854 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 03 August 2019 - 09:09 PM

So... more time travel.

I'll admit I mostly watched this season out of habit more than anything. And I'll likely do the same for the final one. But that show unfortunately ran for too long. Should have ended with season 5 with May and Coulson riding in the sunset.

But hey,
Spoiler

From the Page of Cage!

#2986 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 28512 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 03 August 2019 - 10:13 PM

Spoiler

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#2987 Dvandom

Dvandom

Purveyor of Ponies. And Physics.

• Supporter
  • 16995 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 10:32 PM

I wonder if the Season 7 finale will end with SHIELD finally ACTUALLY being in the movie timeline, with everything since S3 being an alternate timeline created by the Monoliths or somesuch.  For instance, while Thanos did make a strike on New York City during the Graviton crisis, he had no Infinity Stones in the SHIELD timeline.

---Dave

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/BW --
NEWS, REVIEWS and SIGHTINGS
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#2988 Nevermore

Nevermore

• Supporter
  • 12919 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 05:11 PM

Episode 8, "Collision Course, Part 1".

MUCH better. Finally, the characters start using their brains again (for the most part, anyway). Mack is suddenly making all sorts of smart tactical decisions again. Not blindly trusting Sarge, saying he "isn't fluent in vague" (that's kinda meta), insisting on his terms as opposed to Sarge's. And hey, Yo-Yo even remembers she has super-speed! It's almost as if this episode was written by better writers than most of the others (save for "Inescapable")..

So I was right about Izel being that mysterious creator of the Shrike. Surprise, surprise. Sarge certainly isn't entirely upfront about her motives, though - like, if her whole deal is destryoing all life, why didn't she destroy planet Kitson while she was on it? Why target far away Earth instead? There's more to her story, and it has to do with the monoliths.

How did ancient Incas know about Izel again? Was she on Earth before, or what? (Also, Benson is interacting with them offscreen. The actor was unavailable, right? Talk about a "phoned in" contribution.)

Why did they leave only one guard to watch Jaco AND Pax?

Edited by Nevermore, 04 August 2019 - 05:12 PM.

#2989 Nevermore

Nevermore

• Supporter
  • 12919 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 06:08 PM

Episode 9, "Collision Course, Part 2".

Another solid episode. No major idiot moments (phew!), just a few instances of characters being slow on the uptake due to dramatic editing:
- When Sarge, Pax and Jaco take over the bridge, these highly-trained SHIELD soldiers sure take their time to react, especially that agent who gets shot as a direct result of hesitating too long before shooting her gun.
- When May opens the truck's door, it takes her an awfully long time to realized the Shrike are coming for that door.
- When scouting that ship, Mack is the first to come around the corner, his gun trained, staring straight into the corridor... and it's only when Jaco comes around the corner that he realizes there's a crewmember walking towards them. Did Mack not see that guy?

Nothing much to say besides that, except the mystery regarding Sarge and his missing memories is vaguely intriguing.

"May" shooting Sarge at the end sure is a ruse. I'm fairly certain Davis never returned from that ship, at least not as himself. He and Jaco split up when they went to confront Izel, and it was "Davis" who claimed she was gone. Pretty sure she either took over his body somehow, or she's a shape-shifter, which would explain "May".

Edited by Nevermore, 11 August 2019 - 06:09 PM.

#2990 Nevermore

Nevermore

• Supporter
  • 12919 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 05:03 PM

Okay, so after a few kinda, sorta good episodes with characters that weren't constantly finding new ways to be stupid, the season finale left me with some mixed feelings.

Spoiler

May I also point out how tired I am of characters (Daisy, Simmons, to a lesser degree Fitz) constantly being given new hairstyles for each new season? I mean, it works occasionally, but at this point it has become a joke. What was up with those odd purple strands in Daisy's hair this season?

Edited by Nevermore, 02 September 2019 - 05:11 PM.

#2991 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 65626 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 02 September 2019 - 05:53 PM

What was up with those odd purple strands in Daisy's hair this season?

It's to tie into her Marvel Rising look, which Chloe Bennett voices.

Quake.jpg

Also because Asian women can't not have some color in their hair in cartoons and comics.
:wtf

ACItEK8.png

#2992 Nevermore

Nevermore

• Supporter
  • 12919 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 07:29 AM

That's a very odd tie-in.

Also:

Spoiler

Edited by Nevermore, 03 September 2019 - 07:37 AM.

#2993 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 28512 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 03 September 2019 - 09:02 AM

That's a very odd tie-in.

It's just a case of brand consistency, making two versions of the same character (even played by the same actress) have something in common with each other, visually.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users