Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 02:14 PM)

It's too bad it's like this because some of what they're doing with tiny cars is pretty cool, but I'm not willing to sign up for that f-ing hassle.

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 02:13 PM)

At this point I'm trying to decide how much of a markup I'm willing to pay some scalper scum or if I should just say to hell with it.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (18 September 2019 - 02:11 PM)

That is pretty much the constant story with Hot Wheels. Anything you might actually want has most likely been picked clean and marked up.

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 02:02 PM)

I've been watching some Youtube Hot Wheels videos out of boredom and discovered there exists a new car that just came out maybe a month ago that looks just like one I had when I was little, and I've been looking around hoping to get it. Slim picking everywhere, but online there are a slew of sellers asking for 3 and 4x the retail price, plus a hefty shipping markup.

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 01:59 PM)

Oh, that explains the problem I've encountered with finding one little car

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 September 2019 - 01:31 PM)

Oh boy. I work at Target, and literally every single morning, there are two or three guys outside who make a beeline straight to the Hot Wheels.

@  Steevy Maximus : (18 September 2019 - 01:00 PM)

Hot Wheels

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 12:25 PM)

Which collecting community has the worst scalpers?

@  TM2-Megatron : (17 September 2019 - 09:55 PM)

I've never read the source material and don't know much about it, but I enjoyed the first film quite a bit, and found the second alright

@  Sabrblade : (17 September 2019 - 09:49 PM)

The first movie was definitely not for me. I flat out hated it. Didn't even bother with the sequel.

@  Maruten : (17 September 2019 - 05:02 PM)

I liked the first movie a lot and enjoyed the original volume of the book, and the way they were developed in parallel was really interesting. It all got super extra unpleasant as soon as they went back though. I don't remember really whether the initial sequels are "good" or not, but either way both the second movie and the second run of the book quickly demonstrated that the property sure wasn't for me.

@  Paladin : (17 September 2019 - 04:45 PM)

i have a real hard time offering praise of anything connected to an utter shitstain like Mark Millar.

@  Rycochet : (17 September 2019 - 01:23 PM)

Kick Ass 2 was okay for what it was, a sequel to a film that was okay, just okay. It had a good performance from Nic Cage while the sequel had Jim Carrey who decided he didn't want to promote it after one of america's regularly scheduled massacres.

@  Benbot : (17 September 2019 - 12:20 PM)

Was Kick Ass 2 really that bad? I never got around to seeing it, but after watching the first movie again the other day, I'm thinking about it.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 September 2019 - 01:54 PM)

Why do you feel a need to label yourself for doing something harmless?

@  Telly : (13 September 2019 - 11:10 AM)

thats more than i look at on reddit

@  Benbot : (13 September 2019 - 10:49 AM)

am I a basic bitch for only browsing the front page of Reddit?

@  Shrug : (12 September 2019 - 12:26 PM)

I managed to find about 2/3s of my goal Sega Genesis collection before the last price bump

@  Anonymous X : (12 September 2019 - 11:11 AM)

So relieved that I picked up most of my NTSC GameCube collection in 2010/11 before prices on the secondary market went bezerk...

@  unluckiness : (12 September 2019 - 12:54 AM)

I have fond memories of it since it was the last console Mario Kart that didn't have the ridiculous pre-race cart assembly

@  TM2-Megatron : (11 September 2019 - 10:26 PM)

Like many Gamecube games, underrated

@  unluckiness : (11 September 2019 - 09:24 AM)

Double Dash is great. Just watch out for blue shells

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 07:43 AM)

I used a double dash on my mobile. The chat didn’t like it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 September 2019 - 04:17 AM)

The mobile version of the site chokes on certain characters, I think.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 September 2019 - 04:10 AM)

what's with that punctuation anyway

@  Nevermore : (11 September 2019 - 03:20 AM)

Now where did that come from, Bass X0?

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 01:52 AM)

Politics and Religion — tools of foul play!

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you owe, you're expected to actually pay it at the time you file, before they even process your return

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you file electronically, I find you usually get your refund within a couple weeks

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 06:22 PM)

Well, lucky it took less than two months for me. For a little over 200 Euros.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Pretty much, yeah. Canada revenue will be all up your ass if you earn less than 200K and owe tax, but your refund is basically "duke nukem forever".

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Whereas if you overpaid and they have to refund you, they will take their sweet time to let you know.

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Like, here in Germany, if the tax authority responds to your tax report quickly, you can rest assured they want more money.

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:33 PM)

Do tax authorities in other countries base their time to respond to filed tax reports on whether they owe or are owed as well?

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 11:13 AM)

Check what the requirements are for your cad program, and try to beat them by about 20%, and understand that software requirements have been stable for a few years: not really keeping up with the advancements in hardware. Unless you're doing something SPECIFIC which requires ludicrous amounts of power, just give your self a cushion on hardware and don't bother going whole hog.

@  Benbot : (10 September 2019 - 10:16 AM)

What I'm currently using is an i5 2018 Surface Laptop. My current desktop is all but dead. I think in the end affordability will win out over specs. I need to use CAD programs, but I'm a student, not a professional.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 10:06 AM)

Okay. Whats the specs on the I7 and what are you currently using?

@  Benbot : (10 September 2019 - 09:23 AM)

fun and games

@  wonko the sane? : (09 September 2019 - 04:43 PM)

Depends entirely on what you use the computer for.

@  Steevy Maximus : (09 September 2019 - 11:52 AM)

Probably not

@  Benbot : (09 September 2019 - 09:39 AM)

Do I need an i7 on my new computer?

@  Nevermore : (08 September 2019 - 12:08 PM)

https://imgur.com/fkyjpza

@  Nevermore : (08 September 2019 - 12:07 PM)

Today's convention haul:

@  wonko the sane? : (08 September 2019 - 08:54 AM)

But it was Huuunnngrrrryyyy. What was I supposed to do?

@  MEDdMI : (08 September 2019 - 08:23 AM)

But did you feed any small fuzzy creatures after midnight?

@  wonko the sane? : (08 September 2019 - 06:32 AM)

Shouldn't be. I literally just built it. Not even three weeks ago even.

@  TM2-Megatron : (07 September 2019 - 10:13 PM)

Sounds like your computer's on its last lags, Wonko

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 07:37 PM)

Dunno, crucial says it's fine, gonna need a second opinion.

@  Pennpenn : (07 September 2019 - 06:52 PM)

Good luck! (or break a leg if it's like theater luck...)

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 06:46 PM)

Alright. The damages now seem to include my primary SSD. Thankfully, the gaming drive (I have now lost all my games and mods entirely.) Let me wipe it and install there. Once the crucial utility is installed again, will verify the drive.

Photo

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Discussion - SPOILERS

Marvel Shield Coulson MCU Agents of Shield

2992 replies to this topic

#2941 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46147 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 07 May 2019 - 10:13 AM

Judging by the trailers, it's less they're ignoring half the population getting Thanos'd and more going how various alternate Earths have been getting Coulson'd.

#2942 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.

• Citizen
  • 8550 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 07 May 2019 - 11:44 AM

I hope so.  This show's connection to the greater MCU, tenuous though it may be, is really the only thing that keeps me interested in it.

#2943 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.

• Citizen
  • 8550 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 12:01 AM

At least episode one dashed any vain hopes I may have clung to...

#2944 Dvandom

Dvandom

Purveyor of Ponies. And Physics.

• Supporter
  • 16995 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 12:07 AM

Mad Max, meet...

Spoiler

---Dave

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/BW --
NEWS, REVIEWS and SIGHTINGS
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#2945 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 28507 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 12 May 2019 - 12:19 AM

At least episode one dashed any vain hopes I may have clung to...

The professor referred to his loved one having passed away in what kinda sounded like a relatively recent point in time. That could possibly be a subtle nod to The Vanished without mentioning it outright to avoid confusion with any TV viewers who haven't kept up with the films.

Edited by Sabrblade, 12 May 2019 - 12:19 AM.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#2946 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 9075 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 01:31 PM

Other than that possibility its not really showing any sort of sign that anybody got snapped. I mean just as unlikely as all 6 original Avengers avoiding it and Petes entire set of classmates getting snapped its really unlikely that none of the Shield tv members had any casualties in the main or support staff if following the IW events. And they havent made it seem like more than a years gone by so this seems like the major divorcing part of the tv and cinematic universes for sure.

#2947 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17207 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 12 May 2019 - 04:07 PM

The folks behind the show have flat out said they are just ignoring the whole snap thing. Or pretending their season happens before it even though that is pretty much flat out impossible. Apparently they didn't have firm details on what the MCUs plans were exactly and felt they had their own story to tell that took priority so they're just gonna act like nothing happened and continue with their own deal.

-ZacWilliam, at least this season, who know for the next season that's already being worked on.
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#2948 CORVUS

CORVUS

Everyone has secrets.

• Supporter
  • 32826 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 08:31 PM

Good on them, as far as I'm concerned.
“She went around with the attitude that she would rather be beaten to death than take any shit.” - Stieg Larsson

#2949 Monocle

Monocle

ASM Contributing Editor

• Citizen
  • 4115 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 08:02 AM

They have an easy way out.  The Shield guys just ended up in an alternate timeline when they returned to the present, and they did flat out mention their timeline was changed.  Maybe in the one they ended up in Thanos was stopped before he did the snap.  It could be just as simple as Starlord or Thor taking Thanos out when they had the chance.

There does seem to be something going on that is odd with reality with what we saw in this one episode.

We'll see what happenes next season, since by then they can properly deal with the snap if they want to.

Edited by Monocle, 13 May 2019 - 08:03 AM.

#2950 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 65624 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 08:30 PM

Pasadena Town Hall likes to be in Indiana a lot. :)

ACItEK8.png

#2951 Kup

Kup
  • Supporter
  • 3080 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:02 PM

Well. That was a trip. Sound track sounded STRANGEly familiar...
"Someone once told me that Time is a predator that stalked us all our lives, but I'd rather believe that Time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment -- because they'll never come again."

#2952 Dvandom

Dvandom

• Supporter
  • 16995 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:30 PM

That was really bad.  Starting to think I should just skip the space-team episodes entirely.

---Dave

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#2953 SwiftEagle

SwiftEagle
  • Citizen
  • 6173 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 08:35 PM

I...thought it was maybe my favorite episode of the series? And I like this show a lot.
ASM
Tomorrow's nostalgia today!

#2954 Nevermore

Nevermore

Unionized and proud of it.

• Supporter
  • 12918 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 05:26 AM

So, I'm currently a few episodes behind, but seeing as there's not a lot of discussion here anyways, I think I'll just dump my thoughts.

That was really bad.  Starting to think I should just skip the space-team episodes entirely.

Was that epside 3? Because WOW. How boring, dragging, unfunny, and so many moments of characters having the idiot ball. A very large idiot ball. For starters, there are so many "SHUT UP" moments in this episode...

It's supposed to be funny, except it isn't. This plot is totally boring and pointless and only distracts from the much more interesting plot which this episode is completely skipping. It's like a totally stupid side quest from MTMTE/Lost Light, only more annoying.

I don't think I've ever struggled so much watching through an episode of this series. I had to pause multiple times just to gather the strength to continue. It's really that terrible.

Just one example: Piper has her gun trained on the Chronicom hunter. She explicitly says "don't even think about it", and yet he can throw his ring thing, step inside, let it completely engulf him, all of which takes like three entire seconds, until Piper, who has been aiming her gun at him this entire time, finally thinks about shooting him. Mind you, Piper was the only one who didn't eat the trippy alien snacks, So she really has no excuse for taking her sweet ass time shooting the guy making an escape. I don't know what to call this really. "Editing that is trying to make a character less incompetent than she would really be if this were real life"?

The writers are literally throwing in totally unfunny obstacles to make the plot drag on for an entire episode. Considering this season is only supposed to have 13 episodes, an episode that is 75% filler is not a good sign

And then comes episode 4.

And again, too many characters acting like bloody morons. There's a creature inside this dead guy's chest, so the first thing Dr. Replacement does is pull out the very obvious knife.

Which, by the way, didn't kill the parasite. Great job there, Coulson II! And why exactly did he dimension-hopping alien parasite hunters just leave the gut there and didn't finish off the creature for good? So it could possess someone else?

Why aren't there SHIELD protocols to immediately sound the alarm and shot off the lab if something like this happens? Instead, we have three people looking for an alien parasite while everyone else inside the base has no clue what is going on. Great job there!

Wasn't it just last season when Mack was so super-genre-savvy that he insisted on not splitting up because that is how people get killed in movies? Why is everyone suddenly genre-blind?

That's what I always loved about the show - creative ways to play with tropes and subvert them by making the characters smarter than your typical fictional character doofus. But now everyone keeps picking up the idiot ball. Geez.

And then the batbird flies straight into Agent Affair Guy's mouth. What, was he standing there with a gaping mouth or what? And wow, seriously, Agents of SHIELD? Now you're straight ripping off "Alien", complete with the "don't let it take control of me" cliché?

Why are Mack and May so pissed that Deke built a start-up company? What would they have preferred - him continuing being a freeloader? And why didn't Agent Khan, who has been keeping tabs on him this entire time, []reported any about this[/i]? Seriously? Mack, I think you're bad at running this organization...

Okay, this is getting ridiculous. The opening of the episode, with Deke's "holodeck" first person shooter simulation, was a deliberate play with clichés, using all the standard worn out action film dialogue lines, but unfortunately, the rest of the episode that's set in the real world is also riddled with clichés, except now they're played straight...

Also, the humor doesn't work. It seems like they're trying to mimick the humor of the movies, but there the timing was better. Here, the jokes fall flat because they're so poorly timed.

This social media influencer character was terrible. I know she's supposed to be a parody, and I know she's played by one of the show's producers, but really... no. This. Isn't. Funny.

Edited by Nevermore, 13 July 2019 - 05:31 AM.

"'[Foreigners] at least need to be able to speak proper German.' Okay, what the hell is that supposed to be? Proper German'? Where do they speak that? Have you ever been there? Are you German? Can you engage in a conversation in a Swabian pub? Most people from Cologne already fail at asking for directions in the Eifel region."
- Volker Pispers, German comedian

#2955 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 65624 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 07:14 AM

Mack was mad at Deke for not joining up with Shield.

ACItEK8.png

#2956 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 28507 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 09:18 AM

Yeah, it's not that Deke started a company specifically, but that he deserted and abandoned them when his knowledge of alien and future tech could be helpful.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#2957 Dvandom

Dvandom

• Supporter
  • 16995 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 10:42 AM

Sarge did address the knife thing later, but it was still sloppy of him.

Ep 9 last night felt like a season closer, even though there's 4 eps left.  

---Dave

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#2958 SwiftEagle

SwiftEagle
  • Citizen
  • 6173 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 03:12 PM

Poor Davis. They only just got me to remember who he is.
ASM
Tomorrow's nostalgia today!

#2959 Cradok

Cradok
  • Citizen
  • 707 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 07:11 AM

The worst part about the Skrike bat getting loose inside the base was Yo-Yo standing there doing nothing. You're a speedster, do speedy things!

Then there's the idiocy in Toldja, where they capture the two infected specifically because they're travelling toward each other, only to put them in the same containment cell on the Zephyr.

#2960 Kup

Kup
  • Supporter
  • 3080 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 08:55 AM

My wife asked why they did that, and I told her I assumed it was because they only had one cell.

I read an interesting theory on who Sarge really is, and Im
convinced. I wont spoil it here, but it makes a whole lot if sense.
"Someone once told me that Time is a predator that stalked us all our lives, but I'd rather believe that Time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment -- because they'll never come again."

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users