Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  PlutoniumBoss : (23 July 2019 - 02:24 AM)

Disparaging the youth has been a pastime for thousands of years. Pretty much every society we have writing from has some version of "kids these days" at some point.

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 July 2019 - 02:21 AM)

Numfar! dance of pain.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (23 July 2019 - 01:49 AM)

If the USA vanished from Earth prior to millennials (later to be joined by Generation Z) coming of age, would the global community have the same magnitude of disparaging upon youths as a pastime because old boomers are insecure about their inability to handle new technology?

@  Ashley : (23 July 2019 - 12:02 AM)

This wasn't that, this was a "we don't trust banks!" thing

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (22 July 2019 - 11:57 PM)

Well I know when I first got my back pay for disability, some of the paperwork said I couldn't have so much in the bank after 30 days...so I had to take out a huge chunk of cash.

@  Ashley : (22 July 2019 - 11:53 PM)

I know a family who lost thousands of dollars in a house fire because they were literally keeping it under the bed. Don't underestimate the USA's luddism.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (22 July 2019 - 10:39 PM)

The US is filled with people LITERALLY proud of their ignorance of tech. Don't expect the US to be a major power in the next 30 years.

@  Pennpenn : (22 July 2019 - 10:25 PM)

Most people in Australia that I've heard of use electronic transactions for rent (and similar things). I mean, doubtless there are some people who use cash for various reasons of varying levels of ethics, but most require electronic transfers.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 July 2019 - 09:22 PM)

But I don't understand Paladin's premise of "allowing the landlord access to one's bank account". I'm pretty sure I have acquaintances who pay monthly by check or automated bank transfer.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 July 2019 - 09:15 PM)

I know many lower-end restaurants in the USA take cash only as a probable method of tax evasion. Perhaps that is why some landlords do as well. Alternatively, such people demand cash upfront because they have thin profit margins or whatever and are too afraid of spending the time and effort to pursue someone whose check or electronic payment bounced.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 July 2019 - 09:14 PM)

@Nevermore The USA is a place where lots of people can proliferate at being technologically behind. e.g. almost no one accepts or pays by contactless yet despite the inherent security of the process. And by having a population of over 300 million we can generate large quantities of believers in the Luddite fallacy and such.

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 July 2019 - 07:59 PM)

I pay by credit card whenever possible for the rewards/points, but utilities don't usually allow that so those I just pay through the online bill payment feature rather than mess around with pre-authorizations

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 July 2019 - 07:57 PM)

Most monthly or whatever payments are done electronically around here, I think. Mine certainly are. Whether by pre-authorized debit, an e-transfer (transfer from one bank account to another), or your bank's online bill payment system/database

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:04 PM)

If I overpaid, it may take several months for them to pay me back the difference. If I underpaid, they're very quick with demanding the difference.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:03 PM)

Meanwhile, I can write a tax report, but since the employer already deduced the standard legal taxes from my monthly payment, the tax report is also mostly just to let the tax authority determine if I underpaid or overpaid.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:02 PM)

Based on my average costs for the year, they will then calculate the estimated monthly costs for the upcoming year.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:01 PM)

At the end of the year, the power company will send me an annual invoice which shows if I overpaid or underpaid. If I overpaid, the difference may just be deduced from my December bill.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:59 PM)

I also pay my monthly gas and electricity bills that way.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:59 PM)

It's funny. Here in Germany, many people still pay cash in stores, restaurants etc. (the staff usually asks "cash or wireless?"), but many regular payments are handled wirelessly and automatically.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:57 PM)

Around the same time, I get sent a slip from payroll that lists my gross income, all the deductions and the net income, i.e. the final transaction sum.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:56 PM)

My monthly payment from my employer is wirelessly transferred to my bank account. Taxes, health insurance, unemployment insurance and social security fees are calculated by the payroll department, handled by the employer, and I just get paid the rest after taxes and everything.

@  Paladin : (22 July 2019 - 06:55 PM)

yes. you're assuming US employers would pay fairly & take fairly.

@  Telly : (22 July 2019 - 06:55 PM)

we dont get paid on a monthly basis, if thats what you mean. i myself get paid every 2 weeks. some are every week. and if im telling you something you already know, just ignore me...

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:54 PM)

Which I assume doesn't work that way in the US either?

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:53 PM)

That way you may time the transaction with your monthly payment from your employer.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:52 PM)

You don't need to give the landlord access to anything. You go to your bank, show the clerk your bank account card, give them the landlord's bank details, tell them the exact amount of the rent and which day of the month the transaction should happen, sign the order, and you're done.

@  Paladin : (22 July 2019 - 06:49 PM)

most Americans wouldn't trust a landlord with access to their bank account.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:47 PM)

Do people in other countries really still pay their landlords in cash? Here in Germany, it's very common to have the payment as an automated bank transaction on a set day of the month, so if the payment is late, it's either the bank's fault, or there's not enough money on the bank account.

@  Paladin : (22 July 2019 - 05:46 PM)

meanwhile some of us are trying to calculate if they'll have a spare forty bucks at the end of the week for some food...

@  unluckiness : (22 July 2019 - 07:20 AM)

At least I can see where the 600 US bucks is going in this case. The MP line looks more ridiculous by the day.

@  Maximus Ambus : (22 July 2019 - 07:09 AM)

It's ridiculous. I'll stick to Armadacron

@  unluckiness : (22 July 2019 - 06:13 AM)

If anything, shipping is going to make the actual toy's price look affordable.

@  Pennpenn : (22 July 2019 - 02:28 AM)

Its like, $550 ish in US money (so probably about $800 for my Australian self) and is taller than TR Fort Max. He's gonna be a hefty boy.

@  TM2-Megatron : (21 July 2019 - 10:05 PM)

Damn, that Unicron looks big. Not gonna be cheap

@  wonko the sane? : (21 July 2019 - 09:09 PM)

"By the way, your landlord called. Something about being late with the rent."

@  Nevermore : (21 July 2019 - 04:09 PM)

"Hi there, I'm Unicron. Your husband ordered me."

@  unluckiness : (21 July 2019 - 09:04 AM)

"Perhaps I misjudged you. Proceed on your way to the couch."

@  Donocropolis : (21 July 2019 - 07:33 AM)

I'm just afraid of what my wife would do to me if it showed up at our door.

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 July 2019 - 01:23 AM)

Giant Robot Satan has that effect on people.

@  Ashley : (21 July 2019 - 12:31 AM)

So, I might not be able to get Hasbro Pulse Unicron because my mother is afraid of it

@  Pennpenn : (20 July 2019 - 09:58 PM)

But that's neither here nor there.

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 July 2019 - 06:57 PM)

Six of one, half-dozen of the other.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 July 2019 - 05:13 PM)

Both maybe?

@  Benbot : (20 July 2019 - 04:44 PM)

Do you need a criminal lawyer or a criminal, lawyer.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 July 2019 - 10:40 AM)

I don't suppose the allspark has any criminal lawyers from Georgia. ;P

@  NotVeryKnightly : (19 July 2019 - 01:17 PM)

It seems like, with these kind of things, anything not TF-specific is either in an existing thread or just not discussed since they're not part of something deemed important enough to get its own thread already.

@  Benbot : (19 July 2019 - 12:45 PM)

Yeah, but it's for Transformers specifically

@  Gryllid : (19 July 2019 - 12:39 PM)

There is. It's called "SDCC 2019 thread"

@  Benbot : (19 July 2019 - 12:24 PM)

no general SDCC thread?

@  Benbot : (19 July 2019 - 12:08 PM)

I never even bothered to see it.

Photo

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Discussion - SPOILERS

Marvel Shield Coulson MCU Agents of Shield

2980 replies to this topic

#2901 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 65135 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:47 AM

I think it was knowledge of what happened and the fate of certain people that made them make changes (Coulson knowing he needed to die, Fitz & May knowing that Mack didn't make it).

Regarding what was available at the time, I'm still not certain there were many other ways to take Ruby out.  But a cut throat is definitely a nasty way to go.

ACItEK8.png

#2902 Cradok

Cradok
  • Citizen
  • 666 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 05:27 AM

Yeah, but in the original timeline, they'd still been to the future and experienced all that.

#2903 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 65135 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 07:20 AM

True.

ACItEK8.png

#2904 Kup

Kup
  • Supporter
  • 3042 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 25 May 2018 - 01:09 PM

I think its trial and error. The loop repeats until they get enough information on how to break it. We just happen to see that particular scenario.
"Someone once told me that Time is a predator that stalked us all our lives, but I'd rather believe that Time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment -- because they'll never come again."

#2905 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

It's a nice day for a...

• Citizen
  • 9109 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 09:55 PM

So Cause and Effect.

#2906 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 18904 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:10 PM

I think its trial and error. The loop repeats until they get enough information on how to break it. We just happen to see that particular scenario.

I think we're supposed to believe that this was all just the first time through. Unlike when most shows do the time loops, we never saw anything to indicate they'd been stuck in this loop for multiple passes.

Edited by Dake, 25 May 2018 - 10:10 PM.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#2907 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19312 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 11:04 PM

I think we're supposed to believe that this was all just the first time through. Unlike when most shows do the time loops, we never saw anything to indicate they'd been stuck in this loop for multiple passes.

Kyon never forgot about his stupid Summer homework.

#2908 Kup

Kup
  • Supporter
  • 3042 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 06:41 AM

So some cool news well have to wait an entire year to see how it plays out:

Spoiler

Gonna be a long year.
"Someone once told me that Time is a predator that stalked us all our lives, but I'd rather believe that Time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment -- because they'll never come again."

#2909 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 9006 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 04 August 2018 - 09:47 PM

Just had a stray thought. Some Infinity War stuff so....
Spoiler

#2910 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 28149 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 12:22 PM

An interesting thought, but seems a bit hoop-jumpy to be likely.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#2911 Daith

Daith

• Supporter
  • 9006 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 08:21 PM

Ya I know. I could see just having Coulson healthy and alive really. Especially since the interconnection between the Movies and AoS has been pretty nonexistent past season 1.

#2912 Kup

Kup
  • Supporter
  • 3042 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 10:01 AM

Ive wondered if the reintroduction of Clark Gregg to the MCU movies via Ms Marvel is intentional...

#2913 Daith

Daith

• Supporter
  • 9006 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 01:17 PM

Ive wondered if the reintroduction of Clark Gregg to the MCU movies via Ms Marvel is intentional...

Kamala's getting her own movie! EEEEEEEeeeeeeeee! :love

:D

#2914 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

I write stuff...just not as much as I used to.

• Citizen
  • 10316 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 09:03 AM

Don't you mean Captain Marvel?

Kamala's getting her own movie! EEEEEEEeeeeeeeee! :love

:D

Well, they haven't said anything yet, but one can hope.

William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...
Author of "Transformers: Armada (Revisited)"- Allspark Fic of the Month for December 2005. Archive here.
"In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Credited to Thomas Jefferson.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Credited to Winston Churchill.

#2915 Kup

Kup
  • Supporter
  • 3042 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 12:20 PM

Sorry. I meant Captain Marvel

(Or did I...maybe Im from the future and know whats coming)

#2916 Kup

Kup
  • Supporter
  • 3042 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 04:03 PM

Just saw on Instagram: Aos has been renewed for a 7th season and season 6 isnt even out for another 7 months.

Made. My. Day!

#2917 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 65135 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 06:20 PM

Wow, that's surprising and awesome.

ACItEK8.png

#2918 Daith

Daith

• Supporter
  • 9006 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 10:20 PM

That is quite the Surprise. I imagine its going to be a mid season to summer season staple now.

#2919 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 65135 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 08:26 AM

Seems Quake is getting some changes to make her look more like the Marvel Uprising version.
https://twitter.com/...6306318336?s=19

ACItEK8.png

#2920 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

I write stuff...just not as much as I used to.

• Citizen
  • 10316 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 10:11 AM

That is quite the Surprise. I imagine its going to be a mid season to summer season staple now.

No issues with that here.

William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...
Author of "Transformers: Armada (Revisited)"- Allspark Fic of the Month for December 2005. Archive here.
"In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Credited to Thomas Jefferson.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Credited to Winston Churchill.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users