Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  MEDdMI : (01 March 2017 - 02:38 PM)

I'm genuinely amused/impressed, even if it wasn't intentional.

@  Benbot : (01 March 2017 - 02:38 PM)

That's a lot of shouting

@  MEDdMI : (01 March 2017 - 02:37 PM)

Wow, Bass, your post took up the entire Shoutbox exactly without being over/under a line.

@  ShadowMan024 : (01 March 2017 - 02:36 PM)

The best Marvel issue is, was, and always will be Decepticon Graffiti. The Battlechargers are awesome.

@  Bass X0 : (01 March 2017 - 02:27 PM)

ReGeneration was criticised for being too slow paced and drawn out way too long, yet the Decepticon leaders are introduced and dispatched just to tick the box that they made an appearance. I also preferred the single stand alone stories from the original Marvel comics instead of each issue having like four different plots running through it, which didn't make for satisfying reading IMO. If a writer is writing for a trade, don't release individual issues. I also thought the artwork was poor - before, the Marvel comics tried to have the best artwork they could at the time, whereas now they were intentionally limiting themselves to appear "retro", and it shows. The pacing was the worst though, some characters just stand around doing nothing to progress their part of the story, like Shockwave's segments. In contrast, compare any six consecutive issues from the Marvel comics and a whole lot more happens than in RG1. Furman also fell into his pattern of wasting space world building and pointless scenes when the story had to end at #100.

@  LBD "Nyt... : (01 March 2017 - 02:10 PM)

Even then, Furman's material never really had a huge toy-push aspect to it, other than "here's new character!"

@  LBD "Nyt... : (01 March 2017 - 02:09 PM)

Considering it was a wrap-up for a story whose toyline had ended anyway, I feel like it worked out well enough. I mean, the last major iteration did play an important part in things.

@  Steevy Maximus : (01 March 2017 - 02:04 PM)

New comics didn't need to shill any toys at all...so there wasn't any push to do weird and different things.

@  Steevy Maximus : (01 March 2017 - 02:03 PM)

The big problem is that stuff like the old comics were produced under the idea of shilling toys...which ultimately resulted in a lot of the weirdness people remember

@  Rycochet : (01 March 2017 - 02:01 PM)

He was hired to write an exercise in nostalgia and that's what he produced.

@  LBD "Nyt... : (01 March 2017 - 01:38 PM)

Speaking of Marvel, finally read the rest of ReGeneration One, thanks to a Comixology sale. I... don't understand the hate.

@  lastmaximal : (28 February 2017 - 09:09 PM)

Works for some, not all. http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Trademark

@  Waspinator : (28 February 2017 - 08:57 PM)

Yeah, making it "Autobot X" seems to be their way of getting around many of those issues with overly generic terms

@  Rycochet : (28 February 2017 - 08:41 PM)

Hasbro would just call the toys Marvel's Thunderstrike or Autobot/Decepticon Thunderstrike.

@  ShadowMan024 : (28 February 2017 - 08:19 PM)

D.C. owns Bumblebee and they've made toys of her, so if a Mattel licensee can share names with a TF...

@  Telly : (28 February 2017 - 07:42 PM)

doesnt marvel own that? i know theyve got the comic character, not sure about the name for toys though. there ever been a thunderstrike figure? would it even be in the same area as a tf name?

@  ShadowMan024 : (28 February 2017 - 07:38 PM)

You know, "Thunderstrike" would actually be a pretty kickass TF name! Surprised it's never been used!

@  ShadowMan024 : (28 February 2017 - 07:27 PM)

Thunderstruck.

@  Waspinator : (28 February 2017 - 07:25 PM)

How about Thunderblust? http://gatherer.wiza...iverseid=157411

@  ShadowMan024 : (28 February 2017 - 07:23 PM)

Or Shockburninator, who turns into a satellite and a dragon.

@  Waspinator : (28 February 2017 - 07:22 PM)

Burninationblastatron

@  ShadowMan024 : (28 February 2017 - 07:22 PM)

It's Thunderblast, but she turns into a wingaling dragon instead of "transforming" into a boat.

@  ShadowMan024 : (28 February 2017 - 07:22 PM)

Thunderburninator.

@  Waspinator : (28 February 2017 - 07:20 PM)

You need to get "blast" in there somewhere

@  ShadowMan024 : (28 February 2017 - 11:26 AM)

THATCH-ROOF COTTAGEEEEEEEEES

@  TheMightyMol... : (28 February 2017 - 03:06 AM)

Only if the packaging looks like a thatch-roofed cottage.

@  ShadowMan024 : (27 February 2017 - 09:27 PM)

They need to make a dragonbot named "Burninatron."

@  BlackMax : (27 February 2017 - 09:15 PM)

I find upcoming Last Knght's Steelbane sexy. A very Skyrim name for a giant robot who is also a dragon? Be still my heart.

@  MEDdMI : (27 February 2017 - 06:24 PM)

I never found most Hollywood heartthrobs sexy, even if they were around my age. I think I knew even back then that the char they play doesn't reflect how the actor really looks/behaves.

@  Rycochet : (27 February 2017 - 06:11 PM)

The only thing I've seen with Megan Fox in is the Jonah Hex movie... She was bad, but everyone and everything was bad.

@  RichardT1977 : (27 February 2017 - 05:53 PM)

Modern western culture, ladies and gentlemen...

@  ▲ndrusi : (27 February 2017 - 04:50 PM)

Ha! You can't fool a true Z-block afficionado like me! That's actually an S-block viewed from behind!

@  The Doctor Who : (27 February 2017 - 04:36 PM)

*unveils a Tetris Z-Block in moody lighting* Not at aaaaall?

@  ▲ndrusi : (27 February 2017 - 04:27 PM)

That would be silly.

@  ▲ndrusi : (27 February 2017 - 04:26 PM)

Because I definitely wasn't. Nope. Not at all.

@  ▲ndrusi : (27 February 2017 - 04:26 PM)

Am I the only straight male Nintendo fan who was never strangely aroused by the Tetris Z-block?

@  ShadowMan024 : (27 February 2017 - 01:28 PM)

Her acting makes her come across as a living Pat Lee illustration.

@  ShadowMan024 : (27 February 2017 - 01:27 PM)

No. No, you're not.

@  Bass X0 : (27 February 2017 - 01:26 PM)

And am I the only straight male Transformers fan who never found Megan Fox attractive?

@  ShadowMan024 : (27 February 2017 - 01:21 PM)

Especially since she's the same age as my parents.

@  ShadowMan024 : (27 February 2017 - 01:19 PM)

It's like I instinctually knew that by the time I watched the movies, it'd be weird since IRL she was way older than me.

@  ShadowMan024 : (27 February 2017 - 01:18 PM)

Am I, like, the only straight male Star Wars fan who never had a thing for Leia?

@  Bass X0 : (27 February 2017 - 12:44 PM)

Call the police!

@  Paladin : (27 February 2017 - 08:24 AM)

Kubo got robbed. TWICE.

@  Lazy Garou : (27 February 2017 - 08:10 AM)

god! Thrawn is awesome.he's got super detective skills!

@  Telly : (27 February 2017 - 01:10 AM)

i didnt. not until '83 anyway :thumbsup

@  TM2-Megatron : (27 February 2017 - 01:00 AM)

Yeah, that was a hard one to take. So many nerds from '77 on must've grown up having a crush on her

@  ShadowMan024 : (27 February 2017 - 12:34 AM)

I mean, I knew it was coming, but just hearing Carrie say "May the Force be with you" hurt :(

@  ShadowMan024 : (27 February 2017 - 12:32 AM)

They always save the saddest deaths for last in the "in memoriam" sequence.

@  TM2-Megatron : (27 February 2017 - 12:30 AM)

I am glad they made the right choice with Best Animated, even if it was a tough call this year.

Photo

Arrow

1664 replies to this topic

#41 skankerzero

skankerzero

Back in Austin!!

• Citizen
  • 7411 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:33 PM

QUOTE(Darth_Prime @ Oct 19 2012, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Remeber, for those of you who liked Smallville, the first few season were hard to watch.

I personally love seasons 1 and 2... <__<
-----------
jesse sosa
owner / creative director
Dinosaur Games
studio art director
Samsung

#42 Kevin S

Kevin S

Unswerving in my duties

• Supporter
  • 5657 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:15 AM

Season 1 was hard to watch, I liked season 2. And lost interest season 3 onwards.

I'm not going to say that Arrow is fantastic, but it at least mildly holds my interest at its timeslot. If there was something better on, sure I'd watch that, but there isn't.

I'm mildly interested for the time being, as said the fight sequences are pretty good. Plus, from the sounds of it, at NYCC, they've got a good archery talent that has pointed out film flubs in terms of what Hollywood occasionally does.

Edited by Kevin S, 21 October 2012 - 02:21 AM.

My FlickR folder...

And yes, I was too lazy to come up with a decent TF related forum name, and just *GASP* used my own.

#43 Zodberg

Zodberg

The doctor is in.

• Citizen
  • 14936 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:15 AM

I like a lot of things about this show. The action scenes are well filmed, it's not pulling it's punches and meandering in the PG-13 world of Smallville. It takes place in a textured urban enviroment. Merlin's cool and able to nurture a rivalry with Ollie without Smallville's "GEE I LOVE YOU CLARK THE LAST THING I EVER WANT TO HAPPEN IS FOR US TO BE ENEMIES" and while Ollie himself is quite vanilla, the show is overally fairly atmospheric.

But.

Wow, that dialogue. So many throw-away lines of exposition. It's like I started every sentence with "Hey, Allspark, I know it's been a while since I posted because I've been busy writing for a website, but I think i'll share my thoughts on the matter since you know I like to keep informed." once the info-dump quota has been filled I think this show might become pretty watchable.
Woooo!

#44 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 59097 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:17 AM

QUOTE(Zodberg @ Oct 22 2012, 03:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like a lot of things about this show. The action scenes are well filmed, it's not pulling it's punches and meandering in the PG-13 world of Smallville. It takes place in a textured urban enviroment. Merlin's cool and able to nurture a rivalry with Ollie without Smallville's "GEE I LOVE YOU CLARK THE LAST THING I EVER WANT TO HAPPEN IS FOR US TO BE ENEMIES" and while Ollie himself is quite vanilla, the show is overally fairly atmospheric.

But.

Wow, that dialogue. So many throw-away lines of exposition. It's like I started every sentence with "Hey, Allspark, I know it's been a while since I posted because I've been busy writing for a website, but I think i'll share my thoughts on the matter since you know I like to keep informed." once the info-dump quota has been filled I think this show might become pretty watchable.

I... think I see what you did there...

#45 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 20613 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:40 AM

Just caught up with episodes 1-2. Got the show set to DVR now.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#46 Darth_Prime

Darth_Prime
  • Citizen
  • 6721 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:38 PM

Just got picked up for a full season. As reported here.

#47 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 20613 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:01 PM

Looks like Diggle's gonna be a Secret Keeper.
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#48 Lizard King

Lizard King

I burned out my eyes, I cut off my tounge.

• Citizen
  • 9600 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:19 AM

I liked the ending, except for the "Hey". That was dumb as hug. Just don't have him say anything and start the next episode with that scene, with some more poignant dialogue. I liked that they made Deadshot pretty comic book-y as well. Bad acting and cheesy dialogue aside, this is a pretty entertaining show. Just imagine if they manage to turn the bad parts around.

#49 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 20613 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:07 PM

Thinking about it more, Oliver in this series reminds me a lot of Lelouche Lamperouge.

Edited by Sabrblade, 25 October 2012 - 06:08 PM.

#50 Kevin S

Kevin S

Unswerving in my duties

• Supporter
  • 5657 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:45 PM

Ugh, just caught the episode on the CW's app*. Okay overall, but boy did Deadshot's eyepiece look goofy. The wrist guns were fine, but man that was really odd. Other than that particular wardrobe failure, it was generally a bland episode overall.

*=(which is way too ad heavy for my tastes, that'll learn me for missing an episode)
My FlickR folder...

And yes, I was too lazy to come up with a decent TF related forum name, and just *GASP* used my own.

#51 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 9741 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:35 PM

QUOTE(Sabrblade @ Oct 25 2012, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thinking about it more, Oliver in this series reminds me a lot of Lelouche Lamperouge.

Only much more fit.

(I'm trying to imagine Prince Pipecleaner doing attempting parkour. icon-fire.gif )

#52 bistmbgxtc

bistmbgxtc
  • Citizen
  • 850 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE(Scavgraphics @ Oct 16 2012, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Wickerness @ Oct 14 2012, 10:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Kevin S @ Oct 14 2012, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Called him Deathstroke, not Slade.

Well Teen Titans did call him Slade because the whole "Death" thing in his name and they had to be more kid friendly. Glad they are going with Deathstroke, but I can understand why some would say Slade.

My speculation...PURELY from the shot in the pilot of the mask and the teaser footage, that "Deathstroke" won't be an individual, but rather an identity passed around.

or that was Ravager's mask on the island thus giving Deathstroke more of a reason for hating Ollie then just I was hired to take you down or whatever
Now with Facebook- www.facebook.com/sean.c.mclaughlin

www.comicbooksandwhatever.blogspot.com

#53 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 5787 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:14 PM

Only just saw the first ep. It was ok but I hate it that Oliver is murdering people, geez. Was Adam Hunt's security guy (the one who fought Arrow hand to hand) dead? The arrow was stuck pretty deep. Hope that guy comes back.

Ollie's dad killing the other guy then himself was kinda stupid. They could have survived together. Whatever.

Did Black Canary have a sister in comic fiction? What was Ollie's sister's name? Is it Mia with Aids Speedy from the comics? I wanna see Arrowette here.

I could google Merlyn's real name but he's set as that best friend of Ollie? Too bad.

The actor sounds weird doing his monologues. And he looks waaaay too big / bulky in his gratuitous scene. Not like a guy who was probably sorta starving on an island. Justin Hartley was leaner.

#54 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 20613 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:05 PM

QUOTE(Cybersnark @ Oct 25 2012, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Sabrblade @ Oct 25 2012, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Only much more fit.
I meant as a character, not physically.

#55 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 59097 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:08 AM

I like how in the pilot his sister calls him "Ollie" and he's all "Wow no one has called me that in years!".. yeah no one has called you ANYTHING in years, you've been on an island.

#56 Dvandom

Dvandom

Purveyor of Ponies. And Physics.

• Supporter
  • 15105 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:08 AM

One presumes his mysterious mentor who appeared in the most recent ep did not call him Ollie.

---Dave
DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/BW --
NEWS, REVIEWS and SIGHTINGS
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#57 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 20613 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

So... is Oliver's mom British? I mean, her accent sounds a bit too sharp to be any ordinary American accent (or maybe I'm just having a brainfart icon-wildride.gif ).

Basically, what accent does she have?

Edited by Sabrblade, 04 November 2012 - 07:47 PM.

#58 Esser-Z

Esser-Z

I'm never going down at the hands of the likes of you

• Citizen
  • 32940 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:06 PM

Well, America DOES have stuff like the Outer Banks brogue, so...

#59 Adam G

Adam G

Chopper Face 69

• Supporter
  • 10479 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE(Sabrblade @ Nov 4 2012, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So... is Oliver's mom British? I mean, her accent sounds a bit too sharp to be any ordinary American accent (or maybe I'm just having a brainfart icon-wildride.gif ).

Basically, what accent does she have?

New England?

#60 Exillion

Exillion
  • Citizen
  • 1309 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:39 PM

I believe the actor who plays Oliver's mom is American.

I like this show a great deal, which actually surprised me considering that I didn't really get into Smallville until after Lex and Lana left (i.e. watching it regularly).

I am curious to see where the writers and creators go with the characters other than Oliver, given that they are only based on their comic origins.

The last episode was actually pretty surprising ending.

HIGHLIGHT to view:
Just as Diggs agrees to help Oliver, and serve as his conscience (considering the archer's years on the island have made him too predatorial), Laurel's dad comes in to arrest Oliver for being the archer. Even though I expect him to get out of this, it will likely make people more suspicious of him.
Knowledge combined with experience are the building blocks to enlightenment.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users