Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 July 2019 - 02:48 PM)

I don't think that's the case in Canada. Bank account debits from outside parties need to be pre-authorized at your branch or via online banking.

@  Benbot : (23 July 2019 - 10:04 AM)

That does sound like fun.

@  Dekafox : (23 July 2019 - 09:35 AM)

Fun note: in the US(at least), by default if someone has your routing number and account number off a check, they can pull as much money out as they want with nothing you can do about it until after the fact.

@  Paladin : (23 July 2019 - 07:23 AM)

anything burns if it gets hot enough.

@  Benbot : (23 July 2019 - 07:12 AM)

That's why you should keep your under-the-bed money in gold and silver--that won't burn!

@  NotVeryKnightly : (23 July 2019 - 05:34 AM)

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20171003-proof-that-people-have-always-complained-about-young-adults

@  PlutoniumBoss : (23 July 2019 - 02:24 AM)

Disparaging the youth has been a pastime for thousands of years. Pretty much every society we have writing from has some version of "kids these days" at some point.

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 July 2019 - 02:21 AM)

Numfar! dance of pain.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (23 July 2019 - 01:49 AM)

If the USA vanished from Earth prior to millennials (later to be joined by Generation Z) coming of age, would the global community have the same magnitude of disparaging upon youths as a pastime because old boomers are insecure about their inability to handle new technology?

@  Ashley : (23 July 2019 - 12:02 AM)

This wasn't that, this was a "we don't trust banks!" thing

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (22 July 2019 - 11:57 PM)

Well I know when I first got my back pay for disability, some of the paperwork said I couldn't have so much in the bank after 30 days...so I had to take out a huge chunk of cash.

@  Ashley : (22 July 2019 - 11:53 PM)

I know a family who lost thousands of dollars in a house fire because they were literally keeping it under the bed. Don't underestimate the USA's luddism.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (22 July 2019 - 10:39 PM)

The US is filled with people LITERALLY proud of their ignorance of tech. Don't expect the US to be a major power in the next 30 years.

@  Pennpenn : (22 July 2019 - 10:25 PM)

Most people in Australia that I've heard of use electronic transactions for rent (and similar things). I mean, doubtless there are some people who use cash for various reasons of varying levels of ethics, but most require electronic transfers.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 July 2019 - 09:22 PM)

But I don't understand Paladin's premise of "allowing the landlord access to one's bank account". I'm pretty sure I have acquaintances who pay monthly by check or automated bank transfer.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 July 2019 - 09:15 PM)

I know many lower-end restaurants in the USA take cash only as a probable method of tax evasion. Perhaps that is why some landlords do as well. Alternatively, such people demand cash upfront because they have thin profit margins or whatever and are too afraid of spending the time and effort to pursue someone whose check or electronic payment bounced.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 July 2019 - 09:14 PM)

@Nevermore The USA is a place where lots of people can proliferate at being technologically behind. e.g. almost no one accepts or pays by contactless yet despite the inherent security of the process. And by having a population of over 300 million we can generate large quantities of believers in the Luddite fallacy and such.

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 July 2019 - 07:59 PM)

I pay by credit card whenever possible for the rewards/points, but utilities don't usually allow that so those I just pay through the online bill payment feature rather than mess around with pre-authorizations

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 July 2019 - 07:57 PM)

Most monthly or whatever payments are done electronically around here, I think. Mine certainly are. Whether by pre-authorized debit, an e-transfer (transfer from one bank account to another), or your bank's online bill payment system/database

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:04 PM)

If I overpaid, it may take several months for them to pay me back the difference. If I underpaid, they're very quick with demanding the difference.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:03 PM)

Meanwhile, I can write a tax report, but since the employer already deduced the standard legal taxes from my monthly payment, the tax report is also mostly just to let the tax authority determine if I underpaid or overpaid.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:02 PM)

Based on my average costs for the year, they will then calculate the estimated monthly costs for the upcoming year.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:01 PM)

At the end of the year, the power company will send me an annual invoice which shows if I overpaid or underpaid. If I overpaid, the difference may just be deduced from my December bill.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:59 PM)

I also pay my monthly gas and electricity bills that way.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:59 PM)

It's funny. Here in Germany, many people still pay cash in stores, restaurants etc. (the staff usually asks "cash or wireless?"), but many regular payments are handled wirelessly and automatically.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:57 PM)

Around the same time, I get sent a slip from payroll that lists my gross income, all the deductions and the net income, i.e. the final transaction sum.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:56 PM)

My monthly payment from my employer is wirelessly transferred to my bank account. Taxes, health insurance, unemployment insurance and social security fees are calculated by the payroll department, handled by the employer, and I just get paid the rest after taxes and everything.

@  Paladin : (22 July 2019 - 06:55 PM)

yes. you're assuming US employers would pay fairly & take fairly.

@  Telly : (22 July 2019 - 06:55 PM)

we dont get paid on a monthly basis, if thats what you mean. i myself get paid every 2 weeks. some are every week. and if im telling you something you already know, just ignore me...

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:54 PM)

Which I assume doesn't work that way in the US either?

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:53 PM)

That way you may time the transaction with your monthly payment from your employer.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:52 PM)

You don't need to give the landlord access to anything. You go to your bank, show the clerk your bank account card, give them the landlord's bank details, tell them the exact amount of the rent and which day of the month the transaction should happen, sign the order, and you're done.

@  Paladin : (22 July 2019 - 06:49 PM)

most Americans wouldn't trust a landlord with access to their bank account.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:47 PM)

Do people in other countries really still pay their landlords in cash? Here in Germany, it's very common to have the payment as an automated bank transaction on a set day of the month, so if the payment is late, it's either the bank's fault, or there's not enough money on the bank account.

@  Paladin : (22 July 2019 - 05:46 PM)

meanwhile some of us are trying to calculate if they'll have a spare forty bucks at the end of the week for some food...

@  unluckiness : (22 July 2019 - 07:20 AM)

At least I can see where the 600 US bucks is going in this case. The MP line looks more ridiculous by the day.

@  Maximus Ambus : (22 July 2019 - 07:09 AM)

It's ridiculous. I'll stick to Armadacron

@  unluckiness : (22 July 2019 - 06:13 AM)

If anything, shipping is going to make the actual toy's price look affordable.

@  Pennpenn : (22 July 2019 - 02:28 AM)

Its like, $550 ish in US money (so probably about $800 for my Australian self) and is taller than TR Fort Max. He's gonna be a hefty boy.

@  TM2-Megatron : (21 July 2019 - 10:05 PM)

Damn, that Unicron looks big. Not gonna be cheap

@  wonko the sane? : (21 July 2019 - 09:09 PM)

"By the way, your landlord called. Something about being late with the rent."

@  Nevermore : (21 July 2019 - 04:09 PM)

"Hi there, I'm Unicron. Your husband ordered me."

@  unluckiness : (21 July 2019 - 09:04 AM)

"Perhaps I misjudged you. Proceed on your way to the couch."

@  Donocropolis : (21 July 2019 - 07:33 AM)

I'm just afraid of what my wife would do to me if it showed up at our door.

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 July 2019 - 01:23 AM)

Giant Robot Satan has that effect on people.

@  Ashley : (21 July 2019 - 12:31 AM)

So, I might not be able to get Hasbro Pulse Unicron because my mother is afraid of it

@  Pennpenn : (20 July 2019 - 09:58 PM)

But that's neither here nor there.

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 July 2019 - 06:57 PM)

Six of one, half-dozen of the other.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 July 2019 - 05:13 PM)

Both maybe?

@  Benbot : (20 July 2019 - 04:44 PM)

Do you need a criminal lawyer or a criminal, lawyer.

Photo

Arrow - CW TV series discussion

1767 replies to this topic

#81 Lizard King

Lizard King

I burned out my eyes, I cut off my tounge.

• Citizen
  • 9610 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:20 AM

I don't think she'll be in costume until next episode

#82 Adam G

Adam G

Chopper Face 69

• Supporter
  • 10479 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

Oh. I had no idea that was supposed to be the Huntress since I don't read comics, though it was obvious she was some kind of comic character.

#83 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 28151 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:24 PM

Mid-season finale ended with Oliver's first major defeat.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#84 Dvandom

Dvandom

Purveyor of Ponies. And Physics.

• Supporter
  • 16906 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:27 PM

And the "Tommy Merlyn isn't Merlyn the archer" indications we'd been getting are now confirmed.

---Dave
DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/BW --
NEWS, REVIEWS and SIGHTINGS
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#85 Adam G

Adam G

Chopper Face 69

• Supporter
  • 10479 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:05 PM

QUOTE(Sabrblade @ Dec 12 2012, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's back in a month. Do we really need to use that term?

#86 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 9006 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:07 PM

QUOTE(Chopper Face 69 @ Dec 17 2012, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's the term the channel used on the commercials so why not?

#87 Adam G

Adam G

Chopper Face 69

• Supporter
  • 10479 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

QUOTE(Daith @ Dec 17 2012, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why not is because "fall finale" and "mid season finale" are overused buzz words by "the channel" and all others. This show is not going on a 6 month hiatus. It's not playing new episodes over Christmas like all shows do. "Fall" ends on Thursday yet the term "Fall finale" is still being thrown around. It's complete and total nonsense.

#88 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 28151 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:11 PM

QUOTE(Chopper Face 69 @ Dec 18 2012, 09:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why not is because "fall finale" and "mid season finale" are overused buzz words by "the channel" and all others. This show is not going on a 6 month hiatus. It's not playing new episodes over Christmas like all shows do. "Fall" ends on Thursday yet the term "Fall finale" is still being thrown around. It's complete and total nonsense.
It's the halfway (as in "middle") point of the first season and the end (as in "finale") of the first story arc. "Mid-season finale" sounds fine to me. icon-waspy.gif
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#89 Shadewing

Shadewing

Evil faces a Black Night

• Supporter
  • 36201 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

QUOTE(Sabrblade @ Dec 18 2012, 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's the halfway (as in "middle") point of the first season and the end (as in "finale") of the first story arc. "Mid-season finale" sounds fine to me. icon-waspy.gif

Its Adam over reacting to something, nothing to see here, just move along.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#90 Zillatron

Zillatron

Lord of the Energon Harvest

• Citizen
  • 6318 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE(Database @ Dec 18 2012, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Sabrblade @ Dec 18 2012, 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its Adam over reacting to something, nothing to see here, just move along.

Yeah, I'm more surprised when I go into a thread and don't see Adam overreacting to something.
Well, Art is Art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water. And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now you tell me what you know.

Groucho Marx

#91 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 28151 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:32 PM

Firefly done go and burn up stuff real good. icon-waspy.gif

#92 Lizard King

Lizard King

• Citizen
  • 9610 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

Pretty boring episode, in my opinion

#93 Telly

Telly

Killing forums since 1999!

• Retired Staff
  • 7959 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:22 AM

been watching this. its so-so. dont know much about ollie since i didnt get into dc until he was dead. more familiar with connor. main reason i watch this show is because (as far as i know) this is the first dc show that ISNT batman or superman related in like 20 years (last one im aware of is the flash show), and if this one succeeds maybe theyll give more characters a shot

Edited by Telly, 20 January 2013 - 08:24 AM.

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#94 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5148 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

So is this show worth watching, or is it as bad as Smallville?

#95 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 9006 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

QUOTE(Benbot @ Feb 1 2013, 11:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So is this show worth watching, or is it as bad as Smallville?

Depends on what you didn't like about Smallville. Ollie is running around the town trying to target the list of criminal leaders in Starling City given to him by his dad after he confessed to being part of the criminal conspiracy before he died at sea after the boat he and Ollie were on sank. Basically Ollie comes home to his Mom and sister Thea (nicknamed Speedy), and his ex GF Dinah Lance, and best buddy Tommy Merlin. Theres a lot of the usual CW drama inserted. Speedy's doin drugs, there is a love triangle with Ollie, Dinah, and Tommy. Mom got married again. But as far as we know Mom is also involved with the criminal underworld but Ollie doesn't know. And Ollie is only known as the Hood so far. So ya quite a few similar drama angles.

But we are not slacking on other DC guest appearances. There has been a lot of Deathstroke in flashbacks, and some other notables include Firefly, Deadshot, Huntress, and Count Vertigo. But other than ol Mr. Wilson don't expect to see the comic versions of these guys faithfully translated.

#96 Dvandom

Dvandom

Purveyor of Ponies. And Physics.

• Supporter
  • 16906 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:42 PM

They've also avoided some of the potentially annoying tropes. For instance, at first you think it's going to be a running gag for a loooong time that Ollie has to keep his secret from his bodyguard, but the bodyguard ends up brought in on the secret very quickly. Basically, they subvert tropes just often enough that you can never be sure if they're going for the obvious route.

---Dave
DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/BW --
NEWS, REVIEWS and SIGHTINGS
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#97 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 28151 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

Yeah, while not spectacular, It's got me watching it just to see where they go with things. Every time they do something I see coming a mile away and think I know where they're going with it, they suddenly divert from predictability into confusion that they somehow manage to warp into some semblance of sense and has me asking more questions and wondering what's next each time.

#98 Lizard King

Lizard King

• Citizen
  • 9610 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:03 AM

There's been a string of bad episodes. Very soap opera-y and lacking the dynamic action scenes in the beginning of the season. I'm hopeful it will get better. They just have so many bad actors. Count Vertigo was a horrible Dark Knight Joker rip-off. Garbage.

#99 Betty Nor

Betty Nor
  • Citizen
  • 7701 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:43 AM

I dunno. I only ever expect it to be cheesy so I'm only a little disappointed.
My only real interest in the show these days is the Island flash backs. I'd like to see more of those.

Also, it's be nice if villains wouldn't be forever dispatched on their introductory episodes. Deadshot, Firefly, Count Vertigo...

Aside from big-bad Merlin, everyone has died or been woefully incapacitated for life.

#100 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11167 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:51 AM

Deadshot was shot in his goggles and left behind while Ollie and Diggs left (judging by length, it doesn't really look like the arrow went all the way into his head; he might only have lost the eye).

Vertigo (already mentally unstable) was dosed up on his own drugs and sent to an asylum. That's never backfired in the history of comics.

(And I wouldn't say Vertigo was a Nolanverse Joker ripoff --Nolan's Joker was far more deliberate and "casual" than that; Vertigo was wound up and hyperactive [if anything, he's more like the DCAU Joker]. Both crazy, but very different styles of crazy.)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users