Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 September 2019 - 06:41 PM)

Triple changer, turns from ashes to dust.

@  Rycochet : (21 September 2019 - 05:22 PM)

To Ashens we transform! We turn into a human, a brown couch and a heap of tat.

@  Patch : (21 September 2019 - 03:02 PM)

Really? Worst alt-mode ever.

@  Maximus Ambus : (21 September 2019 - 02:09 PM)

To ashes we transform.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 September 2019 - 09:14 AM)

They aren't all cranky... sure, it's hard to find one in a good mood, but still.

@  unluckiness : (21 September 2019 - 09:12 AM)

Cranky geese is a hell of a tautology

@  wonko the sane? : (21 September 2019 - 09:07 AM)

... that's like the third flock of geese this morning. Do those cranky bitches know something I should know?

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 September 2019 - 06:26 AM)

Isn't there a thread for that?

@  Nevermore : (21 September 2019 - 05:41 AM)

I took a few hours off from work so I could attend. Actually met two coworkers there.

@  Nevermore : (21 September 2019 - 05:41 AM)

Anyone else here who participated in a climate change rally yesterday?

@  Nevermore : (20 September 2019 - 06:46 PM)

In case anyone's wondering.

@  Nevermore : (20 September 2019 - 06:46 PM)

Also, she pronounces her own name "Zuh-see".

@  TM2-Megatron : (20 September 2019 - 03:04 PM)

I think I'd read a while back she was born in Berlin

@  TM2-Megatron : (20 September 2019 - 03:04 PM)

I thought Zazie Beetz was really fantastic in Deadpool 2. Really looking forward to seeing her in Joker.

@  Liege : (20 September 2019 - 12:05 PM)

Any sightings of Ratchet at U.S. Walgreens yet? A couple of stores around me have recently restocked their toy aisles but no Ratchets yet at those ones.

@  Nevermore : (20 September 2019 - 03:54 AM)

You don't even hear a hint of an accent, and she only very rarely chooses some odd wording where she probably wasn't familiar with the more appropriate alternative due to its relative obscurity.

@  Nevermore : (20 September 2019 - 03:41 AM)

Just watched what's possibly the most relaxed interview ever of a German Youtuber interviewing Zazie while walking around Berlin. Turns out she was born in Berlin and spent quite some time in Germany.

@  Nevermore : (20 September 2019 - 03:39 AM)

Actors and actresses I had no idea speak fluent German, part 4.231: Zazie Beetz from Deadpool 2.

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 02:14 PM)

It's too bad it's like this because some of what they're doing with tiny cars is pretty cool, but I'm not willing to sign up for that f-ing hassle.

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 02:13 PM)

At this point I'm trying to decide how much of a markup I'm willing to pay some scalper scum or if I should just say to hell with it.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (18 September 2019 - 02:11 PM)

That is pretty much the constant story with Hot Wheels. Anything you might actually want has most likely been picked clean and marked up.

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 02:02 PM)

I've been watching some Youtube Hot Wheels videos out of boredom and discovered there exists a new car that just came out maybe a month ago that looks just like one I had when I was little, and I've been looking around hoping to get it. Slim picking everywhere, but online there are a slew of sellers asking for 3 and 4x the retail price, plus a hefty shipping markup.

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 01:59 PM)

Oh, that explains the problem I've encountered with finding one little car

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 September 2019 - 01:31 PM)

Oh boy. I work at Target, and literally every single morning, there are two or three guys outside who make a beeline straight to the Hot Wheels.

@  Steevy Maximus : (18 September 2019 - 01:00 PM)

Hot Wheels

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 12:25 PM)

Which collecting community has the worst scalpers?

@  TM2-Megatron : (17 September 2019 - 09:55 PM)

I've never read the source material and don't know much about it, but I enjoyed the first film quite a bit, and found the second alright

@  Sabrblade : (17 September 2019 - 09:49 PM)

The first movie was definitely not for me. I flat out hated it. Didn't even bother with the sequel.

@  Maruten : (17 September 2019 - 05:02 PM)

I liked the first movie a lot and enjoyed the original volume of the book, and the way they were developed in parallel was really interesting. It all got super extra unpleasant as soon as they went back though. I don't remember really whether the initial sequels are "good" or not, but either way both the second movie and the second run of the book quickly demonstrated that the property sure wasn't for me.

@  Paladin : (17 September 2019 - 04:45 PM)

i have a real hard time offering praise of anything connected to an utter shitstain like Mark Millar.

@  Rycochet : (17 September 2019 - 01:23 PM)

Kick Ass 2 was okay for what it was, a sequel to a film that was okay, just okay. It had a good performance from Nic Cage while the sequel had Jim Carrey who decided he didn't want to promote it after one of america's regularly scheduled massacres.

@  Benbot : (17 September 2019 - 12:20 PM)

Was Kick Ass 2 really that bad? I never got around to seeing it, but after watching the first movie again the other day, I'm thinking about it.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 September 2019 - 01:54 PM)

Why do you feel a need to label yourself for doing something harmless?

@  Telly : (13 September 2019 - 11:10 AM)

thats more than i look at on reddit

@  Benbot : (13 September 2019 - 10:49 AM)

am I a basic bitch for only browsing the front page of Reddit?

@  Shrug : (12 September 2019 - 12:26 PM)

I managed to find about 2/3s of my goal Sega Genesis collection before the last price bump

@  Anonymous X : (12 September 2019 - 11:11 AM)

So relieved that I picked up most of my NTSC GameCube collection in 2010/11 before prices on the secondary market went bezerk...

@  unluckiness : (12 September 2019 - 12:54 AM)

I have fond memories of it since it was the last console Mario Kart that didn't have the ridiculous pre-race cart assembly

@  TM2-Megatron : (11 September 2019 - 10:26 PM)

Like many Gamecube games, underrated

@  unluckiness : (11 September 2019 - 09:24 AM)

Double Dash is great. Just watch out for blue shells

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 07:43 AM)

I used a double dash on my mobile. The chat didn’t like it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 September 2019 - 04:17 AM)

The mobile version of the site chokes on certain characters, I think.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 September 2019 - 04:10 AM)

what's with that punctuation anyway

@  Nevermore : (11 September 2019 - 03:20 AM)

Now where did that come from, Bass X0?

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 01:52 AM)

Politics and Religion — tools of foul play!

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you owe, you're expected to actually pay it at the time you file, before they even process your return

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you file electronically, I find you usually get your refund within a couple weeks

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 06:22 PM)

Well, lucky it took less than two months for me. For a little over 200 Euros.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Pretty much, yeah. Canada revenue will be all up your ass if you earn less than 200K and owe tax, but your refund is basically "duke nukem forever".

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Whereas if you overpaid and they have to refund you, they will take their sweet time to let you know.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Season 2 Roundup

roundup

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1263 replies to this topic

#1221 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 17817 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:13 PM

It appears that they're not all faceless mooks. Check out the one in the middle with the spiffy armor. These guys have ranks, and therefore identities.

Never noticed the armored one before. Interesting.

Personally, I think that the soldiers/workers were all female, but a lot of people seem to think that they were male. There's also the question of just how much they resemble insects, biologically.

Probably a certain amount of "male as default". In a predominately female franchise and with them based on insects with hives I often think of them as female.

Queen Chrysalis has the only controlled display of healing magic in the show. She is actually relieving the pain of Shining Armor's headaches, whatever else she's doing. By contrast, Cadance was unaware that she could do the trick that she uses in the next episode, and is apparently incapable of replicating it.

I haven't said it yet this discussion but I'm under the impression that Cadance is overpowered...she just can't fight her way out of a paper bag. This and Season 3 pretty much shows she's a living battery that seems to amplify other's power. And unless she and Shining Armor practice some intense yoga, this powerup can temporarily alter your form since the heart silhouette they form is not bending at normal joints.

I don't think that the amp is a part of her normal skillset. She didn't seem to know that she could use her powers like that. Twilight had to tell her to try it, so she didn't know that would happen. Neither Shining Armor nor Celestia knew that she was capable of that either, or they would have asked them to it Shining sooner. That said, Shining and Celestia both thought that it was plausible that she knew a headache relief spell, so that might be part of her skill set.

The amp in this finale also refreshed herself as well as Shining Armor, a property that would have been highly useful in Crystal Empire.

I'm really not sure if she's much more powerful than the average unicorn. The only unicorn we've seen strut her stuff more than once is Twilight, so we don't have much of a baseline, but even Rarity was able to affect an area the size of Ponyville, while doing something that she isn't talented at. Cadance's big feat is the field of love and light she conjures around a city. But her talent is spreading love, so that's just an extension of her unique magic trick, rather than being pure brute force, and is literally and application of something that's she's already good at. Just how much power did that take?

Most unicorns have only been shown to move individual objects. Rarity has a fair bit of control over multiple things at a time which is one of the skills you'd need for weather control. Plus the swap in destinies probably gave her a natural boost to doing that.

Thinking of Cadance as "overpowered but can't fight her way out of a paper bag" is something of a personal in-joke in that she seems to have ways of boosting others but isn't that strong herself. Admittedly, she did maintain a love based forcefield several days without sleep while it was being actively attacked so she still has to have some sort of inner reserves. The fact that Shining and Celestia thought that Chrysalis' healing of his headaches were fine, it gives evidence that Cadance has good healing ability.

The revelation that changelings can heal their prey actually gives more evidence that a reasonable hive could coexist if they chose to.

As per franchise standard, they introduce something hella interesting and then never go into detail or even mention them again. While the comic gave them a chance to strut their stuff, I'd really like to see a group of changelings that aren't under the control of Queen Chrysalis.

I'd be willing to settle for just one, though a group would be really interesting. Quirky miniboss squad perhaps? Whenever I try to imagine changelings as characters, I see lovable goofballs.

I do wonder how a non-Chrysalis hive would be like. Doubt we'll see one, though.

It would feel better if it was a changeling teamed with others for a quirky miniboss squad rather than just changelings for the sake of seeing contrast in the group. But there's not many that could be in such a group. Trixie has already reformed and Lightning Dust isn't quite that kind of antagonist. I mean, unless the team winds up being a changeling, Gilda, and the Flim Flam Brothers.

*throws money at the screen*

*vampire and peace relations comments*

It really depends on how they go about things. Changelings actually have one of the better setups for being vampiric since damage is not permanent and they can choose to look how the target wants. The changeling has to want it to be a sustained food source. I do not know the names of any specific vampire stories where this happens but there is the concept of humans being slaves and feed for the vampire but the vampire treating them quite well because they have sense enough to understand the symbiotic nature of the relationship. Chrysalis' problems are that they gorge themselves and that it's a massive hive that tried to descend on a single city.
Spoiler

#1222 (Deactivated) Sobana

(Deactivated) Sobana
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:01 PM

QUOTE(Caldwin @ Jun 15 2013, 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There could be many different hives all over the world with different queens. Who knows, some of them may actually be benevolent. Wonder what would happen if a queen from another hive ever met up with Chrysalis.

NO! there can be only one! *pounces and noms* =3

QUOTE(Fnu Aw @ Jun 15 2013, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wouldn't call that "peace".

It is the circle of life. The Lion King seems to make peace out of it.

QUOTE(Zamuel @ Jun 15 2013, 09:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It really depends on how they go about things. Changelings actually have one of the better setups for being vampiric since damage is not permanent and they can choose to look how the target wants. The changeling has to want it to be a sustained food source. I do not know the names of any specific vampire stories where this happens but there is the concept of humans being slaves and feed for the vampire but the vampire treating them quite well because they have sense enough to understand the symbiotic nature of the relationship. Chrysalis' problems are that they gorge themselves and that it's a massive hive that tried to descend on a single city.

The problem is they don't view others as equals but rather food, giving them a since of superiority. Which is understandable because Chrysalis is superior to all. We also don't know much about their dietary needs so we don't know how much they are gorging on. Like how much love one produces over how much a changeling needs to survive on. Does quantity and quality depend on the individual or on their current mode? We also don't know the long term effects of someone feeding off of their love. Does it drain their life or does it just make them depressed?

#1223 Sjogre

Sjogre
  • Citizen
  • 1342 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:17 PM

QUOTE(Zamuel @ Jun 15 2013, 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Declaring that Cadance doesn't deserve to know Shining Armor let alone marry him did not help and I'm positive that's not what Twilight intended to say when she began that sentence. She is possessive, and she let it slip there.

In a way, there's a fair bit of "reap what you sow" here. With as much as she shuts others out, she's facing the fear of being left alone. Makes you wonder if there's something more than just being introverted. She kept to herself when younger but wanted to do things like have a slumber party.

Unusual interests combined with poor social skills resulting in frustration with others when attempting personal contact? She's the only unicorn we've seen use controlled magic before getting her cutie mark, so going on about magic around ponies that weren't casting spells yet might have started some bad habits. Nobody around had any of the same interests, so they just weren't interesting. Don't waste time with them. Just not worth it, no matter how much you might wish otherwise...

Discorded Twilight just walked away from her friends. Like she did to everyone before she moved to Ponyville. Discord knew what he was doing.

Really need to finish that Spike thread. The way that she treats him in relation to her other friends and family is important, even if I don't know how. She doesn't count him the same as her other friends, and even if she thinks that he's... No, write that in a different tab.

[snip - yet valid frustrations]

Am I sympathetic? No. Twilight was in the wrong. She was looking for an excuse to stop the wedding, and her friends knew it. She comes in raving about minor stuff, after Cadance had done something really nice for them, and yells at her until she cries, and then smiles about it. As far as Twilight knew, she just attacked an innocent pony for being in bad mood. She never truly confronts the fact that her suspicions were wrong, and they were wrong because they were motivated by jealousy.

[snip - yet valid frustrations]

Wow, I should hire you to do my posts on Lightning Dust for next season.

Anyways, I feel that there's a certain amount of everyone was wrong by at least a little bit. Twilight got the right end result but it came from the wrong reasons. In a way, third person narrative winds up skewing viewer perspectives since we can see more than the characters and knew something was up. Her friends should have been receptive by sheer virtue of the fact that Twilight is dangerous to herself and everyone around her when she's not thinking right. In the end, Applejack is the only one on either side of the discussion who offered an apology. As usual.

I don't think that I'll be repeating that performance any time soon. It took me a while to really figure out why Twilight's bad behavior really got to me, and unlike Twilight, Lightning Dust was actually forced to think about what she did and why it was wrong. Twilight was praised for being a bad friend. For rejecting the lessons that she was trying to learn.

To be honest, I'm hoping that Lightning Dust was only demoted and not kicked out. Trying to be the best should not ruin your chances with a team that's about being the best. Not if you learn from your mistakes, that is. The road to hell may be paved with good intentions and reckless plans, but it's got more than one step.

Twilight's friends... They did every thing that they reasonably could, short of telling the guard that she was on the warpath. That sat down and talked with her, and Twilight bolted. After that, they would have to literally tie down the most powerful of their number to even attempt to talk some sense into her, and that just wasn't feasible. On the one limb, the attempt would hopefully get Twilight to take their concerns seriously and start a dialogue about what was really bothering her, which would at least put them on the right track for questioning Twilight and Deceptive!Cadance.... But on another limb, she could just wink away in an even worse mood.

As much as the situation is compared to Lesson Zero, the roles are kinda swapped around. There, it was Twilight's friends that were ignoring her. Here, they did listen, they did talk, and Twilight ignores their concerns. It wasn't her friends that left or told her to leave. It was Twilight that didn't use them.

It's possible that the reason why she's so embarrassed by her parents is because she isn't all that different. 'You can take a mare out of the hood but you can't take the hood out of a mare' so to speak.

That... Adds an interesting colour to her every interaction with Sweetie Belle. Too different to identify, or too similar for Rarity's comfort? Or just that Sweetie likes being like herself instead of trying to be like Rarity?

It's oddly common for people to think that Rarity doesn't like fighting or lacks physical strength, despite the second episode showing otherwise. Always annoys me.

There are times when it feels like she gets more flanderized than Pinkie.

That's... Kinda true. Even the other characters slip into the habit of thinking of her as a vain drama queen. Part of what makes Rarity such a good character is her many facets, but it's so tempting to just focus on one or two of them.

Like how Pinkie gets turned into the shallow party girl. Huhn. That's important for Two Many Pinkie Pies, but not in the obvious way.

Hey, the monstrous races have to stick together. Dark Side 4 Life, yo.

*sigh* Really wish I wasn't set on my current sig...

You can fit three lines if you want to.

QUOTE(Zamuel @ Jun 15 2013, 07:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Most unicorns have only been shown to move individual objects. Rarity has a fair bit of control over multiple things at a time which is one of the skills you'd need for weather control. Plus the swap in destinies probably gave her a natural boost to doing that.

Mmmn. No. The swapped manes were incapable at tasks that they had previously shown competence at. At best, the swaps didn't affect their competency. Going by what was shown on screen, they ended up less capable at whatever they were trying to do than they had been in previous episodes. Pinkie Pie knows how to get fruit off of trees, Rainbow was able to command a group of flying animals and Tank without trouble, and Rarity should have been able to at least make consistent cloud cover, even if controlled precipitation was out of the question. She showed that much control, and usually has that much sense.

My current theory is that they were underperforming at their tasks because they were trying to use the talents that the others had possessed, and their natural talents were emerging instead. Pinkie kept doing pratfalls when she tried to knock down apples, Rainbow would fly fast when she tried to talk to animals, and Rarity would create clothing patterns instead of flying fast.

Thinking of Cadance as "overpowered but can't fight her way out of a paper bag" is something of a personal in-joke in that she seems to have ways of boosting others but isn't that strong herself. Admittedly, she did maintain a love based forcefield several days without sleep while it was being actively attacked so she still has to have some sort of inner reserves. The fact that Shining and Celestia thought that Chrysalis' healing of his headaches were fine, it gives evidence that Cadance has good healing ability.

The revelation that changelings can heal their prey actually gives more evidence that a reasonable hive could coexist if they chose to.

By the episode, Cadance either has a pain relief spell, or it's plausibly within her abilities. While love can hurt like nothing else, it can also sooth just about any pain. Likewise, taking love away should also extend to taking away all lesser sources of pain.

However changelings do it, someone being fed on by a changeling, even to a large extent, can stay up and running. Over an extended period they may need more than one host per changeling, but farmers rotate crops, so they can rotate hosts. Mutualism or commensalism are possible, but both sides have to want it. That's the hard part.

Anyway, Shining's forcefield could actually stop people from passing through. Cadance's field did not, and probably could not, stop people. It seemed to burn Sombra because he was some sort of fog monster. I'm willing to put down money that it wouldn't have worked when he was a normal pony, and further conversation on this can probably wait for the season three roundup. But I'm not done talking about this, not yet.

As per franchise standard, they introduce something hella interesting and then never go into detail or even mention them again. While the comic gave them a chance to strut their stuff, I'd really like to see a group of changelings that aren't under the control of Queen Chrysalis.

I'd be willing to settle for just one, though a group would be really interesting. Quirky miniboss squad perhaps? Whenever I try to imagine changelings as characters, I see lovable goofballs.

I do wonder how a non-Chrysalis hive would be like. Doubt we'll see one, though.

It would feel better if it was a changeling teamed with others for a quirky miniboss squad rather than just changelings for the sake of seeing contrast in the group. But there's not many that could be in such a group. Trixie has already reformed and Lightning Dust isn't quite that kind of antagonist. I mean, unless the team winds up being a changeling, Gilda, and the Flim Flam Brothers.

*throws money at the screen*

Or they could all team up and search for love, money, and fame in all the wrong places. Not at all the best idea for any of them, but they won't know until they try it!

Both sides have to want it. If they put in the effort, the changelings have a stable food source that they don't have to hide from, and Equestria has a bunch of new citizens with the powers of all three pony types and their own magic, with a vested interest is supporting the place.

Given that Celestia was willing to forgive even someone as dangerous as Discord, I can't imagine that she's failed to send out feelers towards the changelings.

Something that I would really like to see mentioned if the changelings ever return is that Cadance, with her ability to spread love, would be a better provider than Chrysalis. She should be their queen. Heck, she lives in a palace that has a rock that shoots food beams across the country. They should already be in the Crystal Empire, gorging themselves on the free food.
Unfortunately, fools are often planproof.

#1224 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 38722 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE(Zamuel @ Jun 15 2013, 09:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It appears that they're not all faceless mooks. Check out the one in the middle with the spiffy armor. These guys have ranks, and therefore identities.

Never noticed the armored one before. Interesting.

Fortunately, IDW noticed.

Are we really sure that was healing magic? Shining Armor thought it was, but can we really take his word on that? He was being deceived.

Vampirism is not symbiotic.

QUOTE(Sobana @ Jun 15 2013, 11:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We also don't know the long term effects of someone feeding off of their love. Does it drain their life or does it just make them depressed?

I'm not sure it's even love that they need. They "eat" love, but it might not be what actually nourishes them.

I posted a theory back in the magic thread that emotions and relationships are not actually magic. They're pathways for magic to flow between individuals. Things like friendship and love are powerful because they're two-way connections. The flow of magic is circular. The way I think changelings work is that because their victims truly love them there's a flow of magic, yet because changelings they do not love their victims back the flow is one way. The changeling gets gorged, and the victim gets drained.

QUOTE(Sjogre @ Jun 16 2013, 12:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Both sides have to want it. If they put in the effort, the changelings have a stable food source that they don't have to hide from, and Equestria has a bunch of new citizens with the powers of all three pony types and their own magic, with a vested interest is supporting the place.

Given that Celestia was willing to forgive even someone as dangerous as Discord, I can't imagine that she's failed to send out feelers towards the changelings.

Something that I would really like to see mentioned if the changelings ever return is that Cadance, with her ability to spread love, would be a better provider than Chrysalis. She should be their queen. Heck, she lives in a palace that has a rock that shoots food beams across the country. They should already be in the Crystal Empire, gorging themselves on the free food.

I don't see ponies ever agreeing to be prey.

Discord's an old acquaintance. Changelings are natural predators. There's a difference. It's not that I wouldn't be fascinated to see Celestia try, but I don't think it can be done.

I won't be surprised if they do set their sights on the Crystal Empire at some point. They probably will.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#1225 Sjogre

Sjogre
  • Citizen
  • 1342 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:03 PM

Old acquaintance? When was Discord even slightly implied to ever be on civil terms with anyone? The ponies actually have something that the changelings want, giving them a spot to start bargaining.

Anyway...

Ponies wouldn't be agreeing to be prey. Have you ever heard of plasma donation? The donors give plasma in a controlled environment and get paid for it. They're monitored so they aren't getting harmed during the process or giving more than would be healthy. I'm talking about something like that. Even low estimates of changeling control and healing are enough for that to be possible, although storage and transportation properties of love might complicate logistics. My point is, it's possible to set something up that works for both sides.
Unfortunately, fools are often planproof.

#1226 Pocket

Pocket

Hraeth ela mi!

• Citizen
  • 4320 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE(Fnu Aw @ Jun 16 2013, 02:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We also don't know the long term effects of someone feeding off of their love. Does it drain their life or does it just make them depressed?

I'm not sure it's even love that they need. They "eat" love, but it might not be what actually nourishes them.

I posted a theory back in the magic thread that emotions and relationships are not actually magic. They're pathways for magic to flow between individuals. Things like friendship and love are powerful because they're two-way connections. The flow of magic is circular. The way I think changelings work is that because their victims truly love them there's a flow of magic, yet because changelings they do not love their victims back the flow is one way. The changeling gets gorged, and the victim gets drained.

The way I see it is, just like in real life, if two ponies love each other, it's a net positive for the both of them. So there's no reason loving somepony who's secretly a changeling would drain anyone. But, I could see a more practical issue: If a changeling cannot return its victim's affections, the victim will eventually notice. I'll let Cheerilee take it from here...

"Now, let's say for example your husband slowly grows colder and more distant as time passes... he doesn't make good conversation, or say he loves you anymore, or support your decision to go back to school and become a teacher... it's not your fault; chances are you married a changeling!"

Thank you. Couldn't have said it better myself. Naturally, this turn of events is going to leave the victim "drained" of love, just not in the literal sense. The changeling will no longer be able to get any more love from them and will have to move on to find someone else to bamboozle. Most likely, the victim will wake up one day to find that their not-so-very-special-anymore-somepony has apparently vanished without a trace.

If you ever somehow become a Catholic saint, be aware that they will harvest your bones and build altars around them.

#1227 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 38722 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:06 PM

QUOTE(Pocket @ Jun 16 2013, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The way I see it is, just like in real life, if two ponies love each other, it's a net positive for the both of them. So there's no reason loving somepony who's secretly a changeling would drain anyone. But, I could see a more practical issue: If a changeling cannot return its victim's affections, the victim will eventually notice.

I'm assuming magic is involved because this show seems to really like it. Also, changelings are entirely capable of pretending to return the victim's affection. It's just not genuine.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#1228 MyLittleEmpath

MyLittleEmpath

Don't worry. Ponies will make it all better.

• Supporter
  • 1428 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:07 PM

I'm certain that this has been brought up before somewhere, but it feels appropriate to bring up again. I believe that there is every possibility that a changeling can honestly love somepony back. The situation Cheerilee describes only applies if the changeling does not fall in love with their target, so I believe that if changelings are capable of loving others, then it stands to reason that they can coexist peaceably with other races.
FREE CUSTOM PONIES!!
Just PM me whatever specifications you want.

#1229 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 38722 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:12 PM

Fan comics seem to think so.

These two actually have a fair bit of a following.

Edited by Fnu Aw, 16 June 2013 - 08:13 PM.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#1230 (Deactivated) Sobana

(Deactivated) Sobana
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:14 PM

I won't be surprised if they do set their sights on the Crystal Empire at some point. They probably will.

That is what I mentioned earlier. I think the reason Chrysalis took over Cadance is so she could eventually take over the Crystal Empire. My headcanon is that Chrysalis was gorging herself in Equestria in order to build up enough power to defeat Sombra when he showed up and pretend that it was Inferior!Cadance that used her love power to defeat him, bring joy to the citizens, charge the Crystal Heart and bring paradise to her people.

QUOTE(Fnu Aw @ Jun 16 2013, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm assuming magic is involved because this show seems to really like it. Also, changelings are entirely capable of pretending to return the victim's affection. It's just not genuine.

If they could pretend to be in love with someone, they could literally be anyone at any time. Is there some kind of changeling test check or something? In any real relationship, the romance eventually drys up, as they say "I guess the honeymoon is over." A person who truly loves you with stick with you in the hard times, but I guess that is when the changeling would leave then, leaving the victim with a broken heart. Can't tell if that guy who left you is a jerk or an emotion feeding parasite. Even if they did coexist, they would get the reputation of "love'em an' leave'em", no one would feel like loving someone like that and they would starve.

Also, I don't think it works if you volunteer to love them, I think it has to be genuine, heart-felt, love directed at them that they feed off of. That is why they assume the pony you love rather then just hanging around a couple that is in love. But I don't know, maybe they can also feed of the 'radiation' of nearby love as well but get more from direct love. Maybe they should all become vendors at a tunnel of love then. But to coexist, wouldn't that mean letting them watch you make out? But that sounds even more creepier... O-O *Starrrrrrrre~*

#1231 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 38722 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:29 PM

So, the royal couple. If you'll remember, these two totally ruined FiM forever. Shining Armor ruined FiM forever because Twilight never mentioned having a brother before, and Cadance ruined FiM forever because OMG alicorns there can only be two! HASBRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking back, these two weren't so bad after all, were they? What did you guys think?

B5ofTKU.jpg

#1232 Sailor Unicron

Sailor Unicron
  • Citizen
  • 3551 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:35 PM

I liked Cadance after the real one showed up. I hated fake!Cadance. Shining Armor's pretty cool, too, since his appearance finally gave Hasbro a reason to make a brushable male pony. Now if they'd just use it to make male Pegasus and Earth Ponies...

Hmm, so Nightmare Moon and Discord were defeated by the Power of Friendship, and Chrysalis and Sombra were defeated by the Power of Love. Gonna go ahead and call it: next season, there's gonna be a villain that will be defeated by the Power of Rock.
You are more than flesh and bone / Can't you see, you're something beautiful...you gotta believe that you are / Someone worth dying for

God's not dead!

In 1996: "TRUKK NOT MUNKEY!"; In 2013: "PONEE NOT HUGHMAN!"; in 2014: "TREE NOT CASSUL"; Regardless of the fandom, it all boils down to one thing: "RUINED FOREVA!"

DA account

I got my counter at Jellyneo.net! NaNoWriMo is GO!

#1233 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 38722 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:48 PM

I liked Fake!Cadance. It's those eyebrows. She's so expressive.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#1234 (Deactivated) Sobana

(Deactivated) Sobana
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:57 PM

All this Chrysalis talk has made me do something I should have a long while ago!

<------ Dun dun dunhhhhh~

#1235 Caldwin

Caldwin

I'm coming for you!

• Supporter
  • 24721 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:43 PM

QUOTE(Sobana @ Jun 18 2013, 10:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All this Chrysalis talk has made me do something I should have a long while ago!

This post will probably make no sense the next time you change your avatar.
PSN = Caldwin Switch = SW-7457-8143-2029

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#1236 (Deactivated) Sobana

(Deactivated) Sobana
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE(Caldwin @ Jun 19 2013, 12:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Sobana @ Jun 18 2013, 10:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This post will probably make no sense the next time you change your avatar.

Seeing how I change my avatar about once a year, I'm pretty sure this statement will be long forgotten by then.

#1237 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 38722 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:23 PM

Wrong. This thread will last FOREVER!!!

B5ofTKU.jpg

#1238 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 38722 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:36 AM

One more unanswered question:

What's the point of the cocoon and why does it seem to get lower as the scene goes on? Is it just a prison, or something more?

B5ofTKU.jpg

#1239 Caldwin

Caldwin

I'm coming for you!

• Supporter
  • 24721 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:17 AM

QUOTE(Fnu Aw @ Jun 21 2013, 09:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What's the point of the cocoon and why does it seem to get lower as the scene goes on? Is it just a prison, or something more?

I just figured it was a prison. I didn't notice the thing getting lower. That's probably just the all too common perspective problems in cartoons.
PSN = Caldwin Switch = SW-7457-8143-2029

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#1240 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 38722 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:30 PM

That seems to be the prevailing theory. Another popular interpretation I've seen is that cocooned ponies eventually become changelings. That route could be potentially interesting.

B5ofTKU.jpg