Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Rhinox42 : (21 February 2020 - 01:19 PM)

Blugh, the english dub of BGC is atrocious.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 February 2020 - 07:02 AM)

I might need to update my software, or they face regional limitations, cause I found no evidence of either.

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 February 2020 - 10:31 PM)

DUDE! Starcom and COPS are on Tubi too!

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 February 2020 - 09:29 PM)

Spiffy! The english dub of Bubblegum Crisis on Tubi. It's gotten so hard to find these oldies on modern streaming services.

@  Nevermore : (20 February 2020 - 08:44 PM)

And now I know and now I know and now I know that you can hear me, know that you can hear me, know that you can hear me.

@  Nevermore : (20 February 2020 - 08:31 PM)

Oh, oh, people can you hear me? People can you hear me? People can you hear me?

@  Echowarrior : (20 February 2020 - 06:39 PM)

Let me go-o-o-o!

@  Telly : (20 February 2020 - 05:41 PM)

Galileo Galileo!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (20 February 2020 - 05:36 PM)

Very very fright-ning me!

@  Sabrblade : (20 February 2020 - 04:02 PM)

*thunder and lightning*

@  ▲ndrusi : (20 February 2020 - 03:46 PM)

Ah, ah, ah!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (20 February 2020 - 03:33 PM)

Already did. It didn't take long.

@  Dekafox : (19 February 2020 - 06:14 PM)

Count Zero?

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 February 2020 - 03:53 PM)

Oh boy, here we go.

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:34 PM)

Or do Japan's cultural values vary depending on exactly who you're trying to shut down?

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:33 PM)

Could it be that, perhaps, these different cultural values might lead to a different approach seeming appropriate?

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:32 PM)

Hm. Back when we were arguing about the Legends comic, I seem to recall being repeatedly told that Japan had different cultural values than the US (and therefore anyone who had a problem with anything at all was wrong to voice that opinion ever).

@  fourteenwings : (19 February 2020 - 07:23 AM)

Plus, as much as I hate to admit it, every single anime character is built to suit the audience's tastes so they buy more merch/do other things that allow $$$ to flow in the production committees direction, so the authenticity is certainly not for representation's sake.

@  fourteenwings : (19 February 2020 - 07:18 AM)

Both those anime air at midnight and are aimed at a very specific audience in a whole other media landscape. Major projects have press releases about almost everything, and there are groups just waiting to pat anybody on the back for doing what they want (GLAAD, HRC, etc)

@  B-Fox : (19 February 2020 - 03:16 AM)

It's funny that a friggin' anime about zombie idols and an anime about a school of anthropomorphic animals can have really positive trans characters WITHOUT a press release about their inclusion in the series prior to the episodes airing or having the creators announcing it on social media and patting themselves on the back for doing a thing.

@  TriBlurr : (18 February 2020 - 10:26 PM)

Vegan meat needs bacon

@  Paladin : (18 February 2020 - 08:43 PM)

vegan meat must taste delicious. they're grass-fed and regularly exercised....

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 06:57 PM)

Vegans are better than kids if you don't talk to them. They'll keep the lawn trimmed anyway.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 February 2020 - 06:02 PM)

Do you want vegans? Because that's how you get vegans.

@  CORVUS : (18 February 2020 - 04:33 PM)

Hook up your sprinkler system to a canister of healthy organic carrot-juice. The kids won't be able to get off your lawn fast enough.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 February 2020 - 03:59 PM)

Just use the hose.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 03:52 PM)

Ask bing. It'll be a FAR more effective answer.

@  TrnsfrmGod : (18 February 2020 - 03:26 PM)

Google, how do I get those durned kids off my lawn?

@  TrnsfrmGod : (18 February 2020 - 03:26 PM)

Please ignore.  Old man here apparently doesn't know the difference between the "Search" field and the "Shoutbox" field.

Also doesn't know how to delete from the shoutbox

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 07:33 AM)

Huhn. Penny arcade was right, the division 2 is literally 3 dollars...

@  Steevy Maximus : (17 February 2020 - 11:05 PM)

Oh, Wicked Cool Toys got the Halo toy license. This is a big year for Jazwares

@  Steevy Maximus : (17 February 2020 - 07:02 PM)

iTunes/Apple TV has the complete Cowboy Bebop series for just $5!

@  fourteenwings : (17 February 2020 - 12:41 AM)

The Samsung Galaxy B-TOOM!

@  Paladin : (16 February 2020 - 07:20 PM)

business is booming.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 February 2020 - 06:49 PM)

SAmsung has you covered. Exploding phones.

@  Patch : (16 February 2020 - 05:21 PM)

Modern problems require modern solutions.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (16 February 2020 - 05:21 PM)

Japan seems to have a tradition of murder things where cellphones facilitate the killing instead. Like King's Game and Doubt.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 February 2020 - 05:17 PM)

Or there's just conveniently no reception, or all of their phones are dead at the same time. Or they're just stupid and forget about them.

@  Patch : (16 February 2020 - 04:41 PM)

Now the slasher villain has to go and knock over the nearest cell tower before butchering horny teenagers.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 February 2020 - 03:54 PM)

Think of all the horror and mystery movies that involve the bad guys cutting the phone line. Now think about how many people don't even have a land line to cut anymore.

@  Telly : (16 February 2020 - 03:47 PM)

its like that scene in commando. the bad guy has to get to a phone to call the big bad to tell him arnold isnt on the plane. that wouldnt happen today

@  Rycochet : (16 February 2020 - 03:18 PM)

Watching early episodes of the x-files will make you feel super old once you start to notice the techology they use, and the technology they lack.

@  Maximus Ambus : (16 February 2020 - 01:00 PM)

This guy.

@  Roddie Luver : (15 February 2020 - 10:55 PM)

Hey

@  Kalidor : (14 February 2020 - 03:01 PM)

The ones that get me are the "Uploaded 12 years ago" ones

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 February 2020 - 02:49 PM)

Makes you feel old, don't it?

@  Maximus Ambus : (14 February 2020 - 02:38 PM)

While browsing Youtube vids I read these comments: 'The X Files is such an underrated show' and another 'Brent Spiner is a underrated actor' I want to punch something.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 February 2020 - 12:16 PM)

Besides: cupid freaks me out. "Find someone to love, or I'll SHOOT YOU".

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 February 2020 - 12:11 PM)

It's just the day before Cheap Chocolate Day.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 February 2020 - 12:08 PM)

Meh, just more game time.

Photo
- - - - -

Micro Machines Thread 2.0

57 replies to this topic

#41 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4704 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 01 October 2015 - 03:52 PM

I was actually amused to see Dollar General charging MORE for Hasbro's Star Wars stuff (figures and Micro Machines) than Walmart and Target.  Except for the Titans, I think those might be a couple bucks cheaper.

#42 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 04:01 PM

Yeah.

I keep having to tell people that just because a store has "Dollar" in the name does not mean that the store is a discount retailer. You've got to be smart, compare prices, and read up on the store's coupon policy.

For example, I'll buy hand sanitizer from Dollar Tree, but not sandwich bread. $1 for a large bottle of hand sanitizer is the best deal in town, but I can get store-brand sandwich bread from H-E-B Plus for $0.88 / loaf.

#43 Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Citizen
  • 1079 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 01 October 2015 - 04:03 PM

Dollar Tree food scares me.

I saw these new Micro Machines at TRU last week. I was tempted but passed. I'm sure I'll change my mind once I dig out the old lunch box.
jBU1ixT.jpg

#44 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 05:13 PM

Dollar Tree food scares me.

The bread the local dollar tree stocks is a recognized regional brand. It's legit, just overpriced.

In fact, the local Dollar Tree has a lot of name-brand food items. It was just last week that I found full-sized boxes of "Honey Bunches of Oats" cereal at the local store.

I saw these new Micro Machines at TRU last week. I was tempted but passed. I'm sure I'll change my mind once I dig out the old lunch box.

Honestly, I've been waiting over a decade for Micro Machines to return in any capacity. Now I'm just hoping that there's more to it than just this little bit.

#45 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 10:16 PM

Had yet another treasure trove dream last night.

I found a large selection of new Micro Machines product at retail. We had three-packs and five-packs of city vehicles, each pack a mix of cars and vans (including some that I recall existing in the line IRL, right down to vintage decoes from the late 1990s). The three-packs had the cars stacked vertically, while the five-packs had them laid out horizontally. Each pack had purple stripes going horizontally across the card, with a white space at the top.

One one of the five-pack pegs, however, was a themed Transformers set. This set had yellow stripes across the entire card instead of the purple and white, and had the 1980s Transformers logo. The pack had a 1986 Rodimus Prime in robot mode, a 1986 Galvatron in robot mode, and a dark yellow lion (Lio Convoy? Toei logo?).

When I moved around the assorted Micro Machines packs, I found that they were concealing product from other lines; the shelves were just packed that full.

The first thing that I saw was a pair of G. I. Joe play sets. Each set came in a box the size of the box used for refrigerated pre-made pie crusts. There was one Joe and one Cobra figure per set, although I don't recall if they were Sigma size or the size of the old Micro Machines Action Fleet figures. Each set contained one small vehicle from one faction and play set pieces that - with the included play mat - formed a base. There was a Cobra naval yard set that included a small Joe naval vehicle, and a Joe forward base of some kind with a small Cobra vehicle (don't remember if it was a ground vehicle or an air vehicle). Each set was on clearance for $2 each.

I also saw new product from either B-Daman or Beyblade; all I saw was the powder blue cardback, vague shapes of the figures, and the letter "B" in the name of the product.

#46 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 06:28 PM

Been thinking.

MSRP for a five-pack of vehicles (or a mix of vehicles and people) would likely be somewhere around the $5 mark if Hasbro brought back the city and military themes.

$5 is also the MSRP for five-packs of Matchbox & Hot Wheels cars.

Given that the Hot Wheels (et al) cars are bigger, I'm thinking that without some specific pull (like a Star Wars theme), parents might be less inclined to buy the smaller Micro Machines vehicles. After all, it's five items for the same price, but one set of items is bigger.

But at the same time, though, if Hasbro could develop a respectable assortment of $5 and $10 play sets, they could maybe undercut the competition here since Hot Wheels and Matchbox play sets generally go for $10 - $15. If Hasbro was to push the play sets, this would give them an edge as kids could assemble a city for a lot less than they could assemble a Hot Wheels city. Of course, the cars would be required to fill the open slots, pushing the cars.

Would Hasbro have the sense to push the play sets as the primary, though?

#47 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:44 PM

I was just at Target earlier, and I saw Hasbro's latest attempt at micro-scale vehicles: Tonka Tinys. 

Like a lot of other "Tonka" product, this is actually produced under license by Funrise; in this case, it's ironic as Funrise first became famous for being one of the stronger rivals to Micro Machines back in the day. 

Each Tonka Tiny is $2.50 and comes packed in its own plastic "garage" that can be merged with other ones; they're supposed to be blind-packed, but there's enough of a gap at the bottom of the door to where you can look in and see the front of the vehicle. 

There are supposed to be two series' worth of product, but they're all being sold together in the same case lots. Series 1 is a bulldozer (firefighter colors), a backhoe, a police car, a fire department SUV, a garbage truck, a police pickup truck, a fire ladder engine, a cement truck, a fire helicopter, a dump truck (city dump markings), and a green SUV whose markings I can't make out (it's either Park Service or Border Patrol). Series 2 is a bulldozer (generic construction colors), a mining dump truck, a police car (different colors), a fire pumper engine, a garbage truck (different colors), a construction pickup truck, a fire ladder engine (different colors), a payloader, a police helicopter, a dump truck (construction colors), and what appears to be a tow truck. 

I got the series 2 garbage truck, and was surprised to find that the lift mechanism is fully-functional; it's a separate molded piece, and so it can indeed move items up and down. The old Bill's Fish & Chips set actually has a dumpster, so if I can pull one of my sets out of storage I'll see if this can physically lift it. 

$2.50 per is a bit on the expensive side, especially since someone could get two or three Hot Wheels-scale cars for that price. But this appears to be about the best we're going to be getting short of Hasbro reviving the Micro Machines brand for anything other than licensed properties. 

That being said, select Star Wars Micro Machine products were on markdown at my local target; these were the vehicle three-packs and a Kylo Ren collector's case I previously didn't know about. 

Edited by Fortress Ironhold, 09 August 2016 - 08:53 PM.

#48 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:06 PM

Couldn't find the last thread on micro vehicles, so here goes. 

No new Micro Machines to go with the upcoming game, but Hasbro - via Tonka (via Funrise) - has released a new series of Tonka micro vehicles. These are still in individual garages, but the garages are either red or black instead of grey. The highlights of the assortment are some crane trucks and an actual SWAT armored car. 

And in response to that, a third-party company known as Battat has launched the "Driven" line of micro vehicles, which also come individually-packed in plastic garages (either orange & grey or grey & orange). But these are $0.50 cheaper *and* come with 1 - 3 pieces of track. The highlights of the assortment are a pair of flatbed semi trucks that can haul the smaller vehicles. 

The area Target also had some odd vehicles; I lost the slip of paper that had their names. It's a chunky, blocky play set and one car. Shoot the car into a specific slot, and the play set becomes some sort of combat unit, like a mecha or submersible. 

#49 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Retired Staff
  • 10013 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 17 April 2018 - 01:12 PM

Found the thread for you, Ironhold.

遊び終わ。- ブレラ・スターン少佐西暦2059年

Visit the Transformers Wiki and the IDW Hasbro Wiki!

#50 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:25 PM

...And perfect timing, as those $0.25 per hollow plastic car vehicles are back in the vending machines in my area. 

They're Micro Machines-scale, and so that might be a cheap way to rapidly fill the garages if your local Dollar Tree has gotten them. 

#51 Patch

Patch
  • Retired Staff
  • 35458 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 05:51 PM

Another Micro Machines revival is upon us

Micro Machines, a parent's second least favorite thing to step on after Legos, will return in late 2020 after a long hiatus.

...Hasbro is teaming up with Wicked Cool Toys to return Micro Machines to store shelves late next year. We have nostalgia for the '80s and '90s to thank for it, given the prices that some Micro Machines sets still bring on eBay. The biggest question now is whether Micro Machines will seek to offer a remake-based lineup of cars and playsets or whether the company will aim for something a little more modern to appeal to a younger generation, provided that generation can be distracted long enough from hand-held video games and other accursed gadgets.

The toymakers are fully aware of the trends motivating this relaunch.

"Considering recent toy unboxing trends, the brand's multigenerational appeal and the vehicle category's ripeness for something 'new' again, we believe Micro Machines will be a global phenomenon," Wicked Cool Toys co-president Jeremy Padawer said.

So this made me wonder, when do we get a Z-Bots revival?

#52 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4704 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:42 PM

Right after we get a revival of Spiral Zone :p

I'm glad to see Micro Machines getting some attention, and I agree that they are PERFECT for the broader trend of blind bag products.  I was highly disappointed that Hasbro abandoned the brand after Star Wars fizzled out.  Bad enough that Hasbro put ALL of their eggs on a single brand to begin with, but then didn't do anything further (despite the pretty solid EA Micro Machines mobile game out at the time).

A touch off topic, but I'm bemused at the trend of toy companies licensing out their own properties to others.  It's been a thing for years, but seems a bit more pronounced the last decade or so.  Mattel gave Super7 anything to do with the Classic MOTU brand, Wicked Cool Toys got Micro Machines, and Hasbro hasn't produced a Tonka truck in years.  Basic Fun snagged the license for Tonka this year as well, taking it from Funrise.

#53 Fear or Courage

Fear or Courage

Do I compel you?

• Citizen
  • 2138 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 11:50 AM

I grabbed some Star Wars ones when they were new, and honestly, if they want a revival, they need to step up their game in terms of manufacturing materials. I compared them to some old ones I had lying around, and the new ones do have much sharper, more detailed sculpts (likely thanks to CAD being a thing now), but they have way less paint, and they're all made of a rubbery, soft plastic that meant almost every one I grabbed came out a bit warped.

#54 Demovere Xeno

Demovere Xeno

Chariot of the Big Sister

• Citizen
  • 3817 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 04:46 AM

I'm in if they make the playsets that turn into car accessories again. :D

#55 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4704 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 09:13 PM

IT LIVES!  A revamped SuperVan City will headline the new brand new line due this fall:

https://gizmodo.com/...m-th-1841331052

$50, with exclusive vehicles.  Expect a full reveal at Toy Fair, obviously.

Edited by Steevy Maximus, 13 February 2020 - 09:16 PM.

#56 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Staff
  • 39441 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:28 AM

Nice! I used to love those things back in the day.

Here's hoping they do the Licensed stuff as well like Star Wars and Star Trek again!

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#57 tec

tec

Everyone needs a spaceship bunny

• Supporter
  • 31777 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 14 February 2020 - 03:15 PM

Someone brought in the Super van to the shop but it was in terrible shape

Im glad to see the line getting revamped now that I have income an not relaint on B-Day an odd jobs for cash I can buy some

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#58 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4704 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:36 PM

Tomy is already competing before the line has even launched
https://toybook.com/...ike-collection/

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users