Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 October 2019 - 10:06 PM)

Together with the Rhino G1 sets, probably the most expensive DVDs I ever bought

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 October 2019 - 10:01 PM)

I've still got the age-old Rhino sets

@  Telly : (14 October 2019 - 09:09 PM)

i didnt find that at any of the ones around here, so i had to settle for seasons 1 and 2 of duckman for $3

@  Steevy Maximus : (14 October 2019 - 07:45 PM)

Heck, I got the season 2/3 set for $3 (?) from a Dollar General discount bin :p

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 October 2019 - 07:29 PM)

The series is pretty cheap on DVD, too, which at least will work internet or no. The complete series set seems to be OOP, but there's a Season 1 set as well as a combined 2 & 3 set.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 October 2019 - 06:10 PM)

Woot! Beast wars!

@  Steevy Maximus : (14 October 2019 - 06:08 PM)

Yay! Tubi now has the first season of Rescue Bots and the full run of Beast Wars FINALLY available.

@  Benbot : (14 October 2019 - 02:16 PM)

Just like me in a game of Civilization. Don't have gunpowder? Time for your cities to burn.

@  Rycochet : (14 October 2019 - 01:51 PM)

He dubbed the peoples that saw him as bad news cannibals and savages before enslaving and wiping them out too.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 October 2019 - 01:40 PM)

And if they had been unfriendly: he would have simply slaughtered them with diseases they couldn't fight, and technology they couldn't match until they as a people did not exist. There's something about european backgrounds that drive us to exploit.

@  Rycochet : (14 October 2019 - 11:02 AM)

He described the peoples he encountered as some of the most friendly and giving in the world, so naturally, he ate all their food, enslaved them and put them to work looking for gold that did not exist, until they as a people did not exist.

@  Paladin : (14 October 2019 - 09:57 AM)

he landed by coincidence in front of long-term residents.

@  Sabrblade : (14 October 2019 - 09:55 AM)

He said the world was round-o! (He said the world was round-o!) He said it could be found-o! (He said it could be found-o!) That hypothetical, calculated, son-of-a-gun, Columbo! (That hypothetical, calculated, son-of-a-gun, Columbo!)

@  Benbot : (14 October 2019 - 09:22 AM)

In the year 1492, Columbus gave us the day off skoo

@  Noideaforaname : (14 October 2019 - 08:59 AM)

How often do people actually celebrate Columbus or the Pilgrims? Usually it just feels like celebrating the first break in the school year and a nice dinner with the family.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 October 2019 - 08:29 AM)

You've got like two more weeks until the american thanksgiving. Canadian thanksgiving is literally a harvest festival.

@  CVReynolds : (14 October 2019 - 08:09 AM)

Hey, everyone. Come together to enjoy this national holiday made to celebrate a mass-murderer who never set foot in the USA. What fun!

@  Benbot : (14 October 2019 - 07:25 AM)

that's perfect!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (14 October 2019 - 02:22 AM)

A school-bus combiner called Valedictorion.

@  TriBlurr : (13 October 2019 - 12:16 AM)

Honor-Roll

@  Arazyr : (11 October 2019 - 08:18 AM)

I like that one.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (09 October 2019 - 10:39 PM)

Oh, how about Dropout?

@  Pinkcolliebot : (09 October 2019 - 07:47 PM)

Hey Everyone I'm beginning to put together The TF Roll Out Short Hot Rod's Presentation!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (09 October 2019 - 02:35 PM)

Truant.

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 October 2019 - 12:26 PM)

Haslab Unicron may change the direction of Cyberverse or the netflix series.

@  wonko the sane? : (09 October 2019 - 11:31 AM)

Bluecheesewagon

@  Benbot : (09 October 2019 - 07:09 AM)

Those are too friendly--what if he was a Decepticon?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (08 October 2019 - 07:23 PM)

Cheesewagon

@  Dekafox : (08 October 2019 - 12:02 PM)

Bus-Top has a very GoBot vibe

@  Bass X0 : (08 October 2019 - 10:51 AM)

I actually never heard of the name Megalodon until recently.

@  Noideaforaname : (08 October 2019 - 09:44 AM)

Bus-Top, Omnibus, Cerebus, Busicus, Busicon

@  unluckiness : (08 October 2019 - 09:32 AM)

Otto

@  unluckiness : (08 October 2019 - 09:32 AM)

Frizzle

@  Dekafox : (08 October 2019 - 09:10 AM)

Crankshaft?

@  Benbot : (08 October 2019 - 08:55 AM)

What's a good name for a school bus Transformer?

@  lastmaximal : (08 October 2019 - 12:57 AM)

Huh. There's a neat name for Beast Hunters Sharkticon Megs.

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 October 2019 - 11:44 AM)

It's a submarine, we swear!

@  Otaku : (07 October 2019 - 11:26 AM)

@Bass X0 Letting myself comment to say "That's a good one!" and ask "Would a megalodon be a good fit for Megatron?"

@  Benbot : (07 October 2019 - 07:59 AM)

Ohhh good one

@  Bass X0 : (07 October 2019 - 07:39 AM)

I now want a Decepticon shark called Megalotron.

@  TriBlurr : (06 October 2019 - 05:47 PM)

Gives them time to screw up the color of his hands. :p

@  TheMightyMol... : (06 October 2019 - 12:33 PM)

His bulk is too great to teleport across such distances.

@  Sabrblade : (06 October 2019 - 11:09 AM)

Cuz it'll take that long to mass produce.

@  Darth Gonzo : (06 October 2019 - 10:47 AM)

Why is Unicron coming in 2021 and not 2020?

@  wonko the sane? : (06 October 2019 - 06:47 AM)

Shut up rattrap.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (05 October 2019 - 11:58 PM)

We're all gonna die!

@  Rodimus Supreme : (05 October 2019 - 09:29 PM)

UNICRON GOT MADE, BOIS!!!

@  Trpodeca : (05 October 2019 - 07:19 AM)

They seem to be treating all the games with the same reverence.Even ReCoded, which was just an excuse to redo the first game again.

@  Trpodeca : (05 October 2019 - 07:18 AM)

For the first time in about eight years,I've played a Kingdom Hearts game.

@  Maximus Ambus : (05 October 2019 - 03:20 AM)

Redjac Redjac Redjac

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Power Rangers General Discussion

5490 replies to this topic

#4761 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7238 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 29 June 2018 - 09:21 PM

In this vein I highly recommend Mystic Force.

I'm definitely intrigued, because the story in the anniversary oneshot was like... is this even about a Power Rangers show?

WsuGTl1.jpg

#4762 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 28805 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 29 June 2018 - 10:53 PM

I'm definitely intrigued, because the story in the anniversary oneshot was like... is this even about a Power Rangers show?

Mystic Force is certainly a unique series, but not so dissociated from things that Power Rangers has done to feel as wildly different as RPM did.

Magic has been an integral part of Power Rangers lore since the very first season, with the evil space witch Rita as the central main villain of that season who used magic spells and dark enchantments in her methods of combating the rangers. Her spells ranged from things like brainwashing, kidnapping via teleportation, and most often using her wand (which was more like a staff instead) to make her monsters grow giant-sized.

As the years went by and theme motifs changed over the seasons, things became less and less magical and skewed more towards either purely technological or a more balanced blend of magic and technology used in tandem. Mystic Force, however, was the 14th season of the show and was the first to really go all in on the theme of magic by using it as the primary motif of the season.

Many have compared Mystic Force to Harry Potter, but it was a little more along the lines of Lord of the Rings in that, while the rangers (in their unmorphed civilian states) did use magic in a sort of Harry Potter-esque manner with spell-casting wands and flying brooms and such, there was a much greater lore and history rooted in ancient battles fought between armies of light and darkness, with MacGuffins of great magic power and legendary warriors revered as mighty heroes, and various mythological creatures like elves, trolls, goblins, even a mixture of the latter two (a "troblin"). 

Very little actual "technology" was used by the rangers' arsenal in this season, with every physical gadget they used (be it a morpher or a weapon or whatever) having some kind of magical nature to it. Even their zords, while robotic in appearance, manifested from magical spell energy. Though, one ranger in particular did have a megazord that was of the traditional fully robotic type, but it too had some magical characteristics that made it kinda more along the lines of the "magical technology" blended nature found in some other seasons.

The villains of this season were a little similar to the villains of Lightspeed Rescue, in that they were hordes of demons and horrors from an underworld, who used magic to their own wicked ends. Their kind consisted of typical horror monster types and mythological creatures like a vampire, a mummy, a zombie, an evil knight, a Medusa-like villainess, and even a villain based on Dagon from the works of H.P. Lovecraft (he didn't look quite that horrific, though. After all, kids show).

As far as it's quality is concerned, many fans are mixed on this season. A lot of people really like Mystic Force, while a different lot find it lackluster. I myself found to be passable, but I'm speaking from the perspective of a Power Rangers fan. To someone new and not used to Power Rangers, it might prove too corny or not make a whole lot of sense at times (even for Power Rangers). Some issues that fans have taken with Mystic Force have been claims of it trying to do too many things at once, or its putting more effort into its lore and legends than into its present day contents. One thing more people might agree with is its Red Ranger being the least interesting character when he (at least for this season in particular) is supposed to be the most important character of the story (a notion that Mystic Force thankfully does not throw in our face and is only really realized when one looks back on the season as a whole). He's not a Gary Stu, and he very easily could have been, but instead, most just found him underwhelming when compared to most of the other characters.

I say "most" because another complaint people raise over Mystic Force was its abnormal amount of comic relief characters. While most Power Rangers seasons have their share of supporting side characters who are primarily meant to provide levity and/or serve as the butt monkeys of slapstick humor, the amount of these characters found in each season is usually limited to a maximum of two. Mystic Force, by contrast, had at least four. Yikes.

But to back up a bit, those who like Mystic Force do have some good points about what they liked in the season. The magic motif allowed for some creativity that more tech-based seasons don't get utilize, with some of the more unorthodox takes on traditional Power Rangers concepts used in this season done in very interesting ways that could only be pulled off in a season like Mystic Force. The epic scope of the story's lore also added some much-appreciated weight to events that happened in the story's present day. There were even some interesting dynamics had with the villains of this season, as the role of the season's main villain would rotate around as newer warriors vied for and took up the position of leadership until the final big bad finally came along near the end, whereas a usual Power Rangers season would stick with one centralized main villain in charge for the entire season. The rangers themselves all had unique personalities that (minus one) made each of them stand out in some way. There was even a neat little continuity nod thrown in near the end that tied Mystic Force all the way back to Mighty Morphin, adding a piece to Mystic Force's lore that also enhanced the lore of the original Power Rangers season.

All in all, Mystic Force is a flawed and imperfect season, but not one without its high points. When it was good, it was pretty good. When it wasn't, it just wasn't. I'd personally call it a solid B or B+ season (depending on my mood), but again, that's me speaking as a Power Rangers fan. Though, as I also said before, it's pretty much a unique season altogether.

Edited by Sabrblade, 30 June 2018 - 08:45 AM.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#4763 Glenn

Glenn
  • Supporter
  • 10600 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 09:09 AM

In 25 years theres really only been 1 completely irredeemable season.

Which one is that?

#4764 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 12294 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 30 June 2018 - 09:48 AM

Which one is that?

the "Remastered Edition" - a worthless, hideous padding effort that should be scrubbed from existence. 

Stuff for sale; every little bit helps. :) https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/143212-for-sale-3p-mp-potp-super-sentai-stuff TWITTER: Paladin4221

#4765 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36417 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 10:29 AM

Mystic Force is certainly a unique series, but not so dissociated from things that Power Rangers has done to feel as wildly different as RPM did.

Magic has been an integral part of Power Rangers lore since the very first season, with the evil space witch Rita as the central main villain of that season who used magic spells and dark enchantments in her methods of combating the rangers. Her spells ranged from things like brainwashing, kidnapping via teleportation, and most often using her wand (which was more like a staff instead) to make her monsters grow giant-sized.

As the years went by and theme motifs changed over the seasons, things became less and less magical and skewed more towards either purely technological or a more balanced blend of magic and technology used in tandem. Mystic Force, however, was the 14th season of the show and was the first to really go all in on the theme of magic by using it as the primary motif of the season.

Many have compared Mystic Force to Harry Potter, but it was a little more along the lines of Lord of the Rings in that, while the rangers (in their unmorphed civilian states) did use magic in a sort of Harry Potter-esque manner with spell-casting wands and flying brooms and such, there was a much greater lore and history rooted in ancient battles fought between armies of light and darkness, with MacGuffins of great magic power and legendary warriors revered as mighty heroes, and various mythological creatures like elves, trolls, goblins, even a mixture of the latter two (a "troblin"). 

Very little actual "technology" was used by the rangers' arsenal in this season, with every physical gadget they used (be it a morpher or a weapon or whatever) having some kind of magical nature to it. Even their zords, while robotic in appearance, manifested from magical spell energy. Though, one ranger in particular did have a megazord that was of the traditional fully robotic type, but it too had some magical characteristics that made it kinda more along the lines of the "magical technology" blended nature found in some other seasons.

The villains of this season were a little similar to the villains of Lightspeed Rescue, in that they were hordes of demons and horrors from an underworld, who used magic to their own wicked ends. Their kind consisted of typical horror monster types and mythological creatures like a vampire, a mummy, a zombie, an evil knight, a Medusa-like villainess, and even a villain based on Dagon from the works of H.P. Lovecraft (he didn't look quite that horrific, though. After all, kids show).

As far as it's quality is concerned, many fans are mixed on this season. A lot of people really like Mystic Force, while a different lot find it lackluster. I myself found to be passable, but I'm speaking from the perspective of a Power Rangers fan. To someone new and not used to Power Rangers, it might prove too corny or not make a whole lot of sense at times (even for Power Rangers). Some issues that fans have taken with Mystic Force have been claims of it trying to do too many things at once, or its putting more effort into its lore and legends than into its present day contents. One thing more people might agree with is its Red Ranger being the least interesting character when he (at least for this season in particular) is supposed to be the most important character of the story (a notion that Mystic Force thankfully does not throw in our face and is only really realized when one looks back on the season as a whole). He's not a Gary Stu, and he very easily could have been, but instead, most just found him underwhelming when compared to most of the other characters.

I say "most" because another complaint people raise over Mystic Force was its abnormal amount of comic relief characters. While most Power Rangers seasons have their share of supporting side characters who are primarily meant to provide levity and/or serve as the butt monkeys of slapstick humor, the amount of these characters found in each season is usually limited to a maximum of two. Mystic Force, by contrast, had at least four. Yikes.

But to back up a bit, those who like Mystic Force do have some good points about what they liked in the season. The magic motif allowed for some creativity that more tech-based seasons don't get utilize, with some of the more unorthodox takes on traditional Power Rangers concepts used in this season done in very interesting ways that could only be pulled off in a season like Mystic Force. The epic scope of the story's lore also added some much-appreciated weight to events that happened in the story's present day. There were even some interesting dynamics had with the villains of this season, as the role of the season's main villain would rotate around as newer warriors vied for and took up the position of leadership until the final big bad finally came along near the end, whereas a usual Power Rangers season would stick with one centralized main villain in charge for the entire season. The rangers themselves all had unique personalities that (minus one) made each of them stand out in some way. There was even a neat little continuity nod thrown in near the end that tied Mystic Force all the way back to Mighty Morphin, adding a piece to Mystic Force's lore that also enhanced the lore of the original Power Rangers season.

All in all, Mystic Force is a flawed and imperfect season, but not one without its high points. When it was good, it was pretty good. When it wasn't, it just wasn't. I'd personally call it a solid B or B+ season (depending on my mood), but again, that's me speaking as a Power Rangers fan. Though, as I also said before, it's pretty much a unique season altogether.

One other thing I want to point out, is I love a lot of the editing effects they use to immerse the audience in the multiple dimensions and stuff. Everything ends up with its own unique look, that really helps it feel different.

Also in regard to the comic relief, one of them kinda stops being comic relief about a fourth of the way into the series, as their character evolves with the story.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#4766 Ironbite

Ironbite

I might be a touch....angry

• Supporter
  • 28040 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 30 June 2018 - 02:21 PM

Which one is that?

the "Remastered Edition" - a worthless, hideous padding effort that should be scrubbed from existence. 

I'm sorry you said in 25 years there's been 1 completely irredeemable season and you went with the "Remastered Edition" instead of Operation Overdrive.

Ironbite-which again....wasn't that horrible so.....

xC9l3eY.gif

#4767 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36417 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 04:36 PM

Which one is that?

I'm sorry you said in 25 years there's been 1 completely irredeemable season and you went with the "Remastered Edition" instead of Operation Overdrive.

Ironbite-which again....wasn't that horrible so.....

You had me, till 'wasn't that horrible'. PROO is the one season I can't rewatch, I've tried but there's just SO much that I hate about it, even if there are SOME good bits, that I just can get through more then a handful of episodes before I decide to watch a better season.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#4768 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 17849 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 30 June 2018 - 10:02 PM

Which one is that?

Huh, I would have guessed you'd say Operation Overdrive or Megaforce. Though I am fascinated by the fact that those two series are bad in almost exactly opposite ways (and thus someone can like one but not the other).
Spoiler

#4769 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 28805 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 11:17 PM

Honestly, I can get through the entirety of Operation Overdrive with far less cringing and banging my head against the wall than when getting through Samurai and/or Megaforce.

But then again, I can get through Operation Overdrive with far less cringing and banging my head against the wall than when getting through most of MMPR. :doh

Edited by Sabrblade, 30 June 2018 - 11:17 PM.

I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#4770 SoS

SoS
  • Administrator
  • 5198 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 11:23 PM

Man, this figure came out great! I want a Ranger Slayer figure even more now.

--SoS

#4771 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28631 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 12:54 AM

I think the entirety of the Saban era is strong. You really see the show transition and by the end it's competing with sentai itself. Though I've never felt like the likes of Linkara, that the show should have charted the rangers going into adulthood and balancing their lives. We do lose the sheer saga feeling by changing casts but doing that frees up the show and it's nice that some of the later seasons try to compete with stuff like Star Trek.

The Disney era is a mixed bag. SPD is one of my favourites but in general it felt like folks like Kalish didn't want to do Power Rangers and went off on tangents. I particularly feel Magiranger is a better show than Mystic Force.

The Neo-Saban era has mostly been crap, thanks to giving power to sentai fanboys and poorly done fanservice. I also don't think HD has been kind to props and costumes. Baddies looked great and intimidating in dark SD footage. HD footage of them in brightly lit bases? Yeah, that's people in costumes.

#4772 Confuzor

Confuzor

They put em in Smash Bros!!!!

• Supporter
  • 7941 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 02:23 AM

Looks cool. Was it supposed to be with no sound?

#4773 SoS

SoS
  • Administrator
  • 5198 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 10:05 AM

Whoever made the video seems to have done it without it for some reason.

--SoS

#4774 Ironbite

Ironbite

I might be a touch....angry

• Supporter
  • 28040 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 01 July 2018 - 02:23 PM

I'll take a million Operation Overdrives over Samurai.

xC9l3eY.gif

#4775 Glenn

Glenn
  • Supporter
  • 10600 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 08:20 PM

I decided to do a binge of Lost Galaxy cause I had never seen it before... for a fairly futuristic mobile space station, it sure had a lot of ancient other galaxy artifacts buried/hidden on it.

I assume the sentai it's based off all took place on the same planet?

Edited by Glenn, 01 July 2018 - 08:20 PM.

#4776 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 12294 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 08:37 PM

I decided to do a binge of Lost Galaxy cause I had never seen it before... for a fairly futuristic mobile space station, it sure had a lot of ancient other galaxy artifacts buried/hidden on it.

I assume the sentai it's based off all took place on the same planet?

Correct; Gingaman is an Earth-based nature-themed series where the Rangers are aided by a sentient acorn & the Great Deku Tree. 

Seriously. 

also, Lost Galaxy stole the armor from "Starship Troopers." 

Attached Thumbnails

• Fairy_Bokku.jpg
  • Moak.jpg

Edited by Paladin, 01 July 2018 - 08:37 PM.

Stuff for sale; every little bit helps. :) https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/143212-for-sale-3p-mp-potp-super-sentai-stuff TWITTER: Paladin4221

#4777 Glenn

Glenn
  • Supporter
  • 10600 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 08:49 PM

Omg I need that acorn in my life.

#4778 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 28805 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 09:55 PM

Yeah, Judd Lynn was tasked with keeping the show set in space after the success of In Space saved the series from death. But Gingaman was set squarely on Earth and was themed around nature. The space colony idea was conceived as a way to put all the Earth-based Gingaman in an Earth-like environment that was out in space instead of on Earth.

And part of the original plan for Lost Galaxy was to get to the introduction of the Stratoforce and Centaurus Megazords so that they could become the rangers' main megazords since they were each made up of space vehicles and would have helped to enhance the space motif that had to be forced onto the series. But that didn't end up happening because the Gingaman footage of those two mecha was too limited since they were just support mecha secondary to the main mecha, the Galaxy Megazord's Sentai counterpart. So the Galaxy Megazord had to stay as the main one while the two others remained as extras.

But they couldn't get around all the footage of obviously Earthen locations serving vital importance to the story (such as where the Lights of the Galaxy--the Sentai version of the Lights of Orion--were hidden), leaving Terra Venture itself be where all this footage took place, making it look like all the important Earth-like environments of the colony were just taken from big chucks of the Earth itself (which is nuts) instead of being the fully manmade locales that they were likely intended to be.

Edited by Sabrblade, 01 July 2018 - 09:55 PM.

#4779 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7238 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 02 July 2018 - 12:24 AM

Saw the (2017) movie. I enjoyed it enough to feel the viewing was worthwhile, but what a bizarre film. Obviously we don't expect Hollywood to be particularly faithful to the source material in these cases, but I was surprised at how much they changed the characters. As a new/semi/potential fan myself I certainly wasn't bothered, but surely it must have pissed off a lot of hardcore MMPR fans? 

Cranston was great as Zordon I think, I was surprised at how crabby interesting he was. Elizabeth Banks, however... I'd seen lots of stuff about how she saves the mediocre film or whatever, and I love her, but I didn't really feel her Rita was that Best Thing In The Movie that I'd heard people proclaim. Definitely impressively creepy sometimes though.

Soooooooo long before you get actual morphed Rangers. Like... 90 minutes into a two hour film? Again, I survived it but it left me thinking that a lot of people must have been disappointed. I could not believe it when they actually played that chunk of Hokey Old Theme. I have no personal attachment to that song, but I was bewildered and delighted that this gritty 201X movie felt okay about embracing that, even if only briefly. 

Overall I think they were a pretty interesting bunch of kids, and if they'd managed to earn a sequel (I'm assuming that's not on the cards) I'd happily head to a cinema next time. Must check out the Boom oneshot.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#4780 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 12:32 AM

To be honest, I did find the characters so different that you could have slapped new names on most of them and the film would have still functioned without incident. 

If anything, avoiding nostalgia for the original series might have made it stronger on the whole. 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users