Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Nevermore : (19 October 2019 - 04:41 AM)

I manage to argue within the company's own internal logic and point out the flaws, shortcomings and discrepancies between "official company policy" and "everyday company reality".

@  Nevermore : (19 October 2019 - 04:40 AM)

Many of my coworkers are scared to even talk to managers. I often discuss company matters with them I disagree with, and it isn't a rare occurrence that they say "yeah, you're right..."

@  Nevermore : (19 October 2019 - 04:38 AM)

I know how to watch my tone, and I prefer to keep things straightforward and factual, never to attack the person, always the problem itself.

@  Nevermore : (19 October 2019 - 04:37 AM)

The good thing for me is ever since a minor hiccup many years ago when I was still non-permanent, I've always managed to along just fine with my various superiors (I've been through over a dozen already). And that's despite my outspokenness, my blunt honesty and my oftentimes harsh criticism.

@  Sabrblade : (18 October 2019 - 11:04 PM)

With visuals presented by the Cybernet Space Cube

@  Dekafox : (18 October 2019 - 04:51 PM)

And don't forget to sign up for a cybersecurity seminar while you're there

@  Dekafox : (18 October 2019 - 04:47 PM)

Well you can always strap on some cyberlimbs and go into cyberspace for a cyberpunk experience

@  NotVeryKnightly : (18 October 2019 - 04:28 PM)

You know that "cyber" doesn't mean "cyborg", right?

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 October 2019 - 04:16 PM)

So where's the Cyborgs on CYBERtron?

@  The Doctor Who : (18 October 2019 - 03:47 PM)

Click here and we can send you notifications about your desire to discontinue notifications!

@  Benbot : (18 October 2019 - 10:40 AM)

Why does every damn website want to send me notifications? NO, no one wants your popups! Quit asking!

@  Echowarrior : (18 October 2019 - 09:19 AM)

Amazon in the US has pretty good benefits, though, and even the temp workers had forty hours a week to start with. Even with minimum wage, that's pretty good pay.

@  Nevermore : (18 October 2019 - 01:20 AM)

Oh, the turnover rates are high here as well.

@  TM2-Megatron : (17 October 2019 - 09:45 PM)

Amazon.com and .ca, on the other hand, can be pretty terrible. I know from your squawkbox posts that you guys have your issues with Amazon over there, although you're lucky to have stronger government regulations and a union there. I gather the warehouse workers in the USA and Canada have it pretty crappy, with very high turnover, close to minimum wage pay, and no unions

@  TM2-Megatron : (17 October 2019 - 09:38 PM)

Amazon.de doesn't really have the same issue. I've ordered from them (and UK, FR, IT and JP) several times, and their packaging is much better

@  Nevermore : (17 October 2019 - 05:22 PM)

I'm not sure how it works on the customer's end. As packers, we sometimes have items that are flagged as "overwrap", which means we absolutely have to put them into a box even if they're already in pretty sturdy manufacturer packaging.

@  TM2-Megatron : (17 October 2019 - 03:05 PM)

Yeah, I really do wish amazon had an option to upgrade packaging for an extra buck or something. I hate their bubble mailers

@  Benbot : (17 October 2019 - 07:17 AM)

That's how it works. I just hope my order from Amazon doesn't arrive crushed because they idiotically stuffed it in an envelope.

@  Telly : (16 October 2019 - 10:48 PM)

my walmart is acting true to form. as soon as mirage arrives from amazon, my walmart gets his entire wave in after months of having wave 1 clogging the pegs....

@  Nevermore : (16 October 2019 - 05:18 PM)

I stirred up some trouble at work, complained about the blatant neglect of employee safety. Was asked to take photos and write down the locations so the matter could be properly escalated. Made me feel a little better.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 October 2019 - 02:55 PM)

I got stabbed in the eyelid by a mudwasp, pulled down a tree, and then got ice cream. You know, all told: not a bad day.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 October 2019 - 09:17 AM)

Burrunjor

@  Paladin : (15 October 2019 - 08:04 AM)

your mom.

@  Benbot : (15 October 2019 - 08:02 AM)

What's your favorite Paleolithic megafauna?

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 October 2019 - 10:06 PM)

Together with the Rhino G1 sets, probably the most expensive DVDs I ever bought

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 October 2019 - 10:01 PM)

I've still got the age-old Rhino sets

@  Telly : (14 October 2019 - 09:09 PM)

i didnt find that at any of the ones around here, so i had to settle for seasons 1 and 2 of duckman for $3

@  Steevy Maximus : (14 October 2019 - 07:45 PM)

Heck, I got the season 2/3 set for $3 (?) from a Dollar General discount bin :p

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 October 2019 - 07:29 PM)

The series is pretty cheap on DVD, too, which at least will work internet or no. The complete series set seems to be OOP, but there's a Season 1 set as well as a combined 2 & 3 set.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 October 2019 - 06:10 PM)

Woot! Beast wars!

@  Steevy Maximus : (14 October 2019 - 06:08 PM)

Yay! Tubi now has the first season of Rescue Bots and the full run of Beast Wars FINALLY available.

@  Benbot : (14 October 2019 - 02:16 PM)

Just like me in a game of Civilization. Don't have gunpowder? Time for your cities to burn.

@  Rycochet : (14 October 2019 - 01:51 PM)

He dubbed the peoples that saw him as bad news cannibals and savages before enslaving and wiping them out too.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 October 2019 - 01:40 PM)

And if they had been unfriendly: he would have simply slaughtered them with diseases they couldn't fight, and technology they couldn't match until they as a people did not exist. There's something about european backgrounds that drive us to exploit.

@  Rycochet : (14 October 2019 - 11:02 AM)

He described the peoples he encountered as some of the most friendly and giving in the world, so naturally, he ate all their food, enslaved them and put them to work looking for gold that did not exist, until they as a people did not exist.

@  Paladin : (14 October 2019 - 09:57 AM)

he landed by coincidence in front of long-term residents.

@  Sabrblade : (14 October 2019 - 09:55 AM)

He said the world was round-o! (He said the world was round-o!) He said it could be found-o! (He said it could be found-o!) That hypothetical, calculated, son-of-a-gun, Columbo! (That hypothetical, calculated, son-of-a-gun, Columbo!)

@  Benbot : (14 October 2019 - 09:22 AM)

In the year 1492, Columbus gave us the day off skoo

@  Noideaforaname : (14 October 2019 - 08:59 AM)

How often do people actually celebrate Columbus or the Pilgrims? Usually it just feels like celebrating the first break in the school year and a nice dinner with the family.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 October 2019 - 08:29 AM)

You've got like two more weeks until the american thanksgiving. Canadian thanksgiving is literally a harvest festival.

@  CVReynolds : (14 October 2019 - 08:09 AM)

Hey, everyone. Come together to enjoy this national holiday made to celebrate a mass-murderer who never set foot in the USA. What fun!

@  Benbot : (14 October 2019 - 07:25 AM)

that's perfect!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (14 October 2019 - 02:22 AM)

A school-bus combiner called Valedictorion.

@  TriBlurr : (13 October 2019 - 12:16 AM)

Honor-Roll

@  Arazyr : (11 October 2019 - 08:18 AM)

I like that one.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (09 October 2019 - 10:39 PM)

Oh, how about Dropout?

@  Pinkcolliebot : (09 October 2019 - 07:47 PM)

Hey Everyone I'm beginning to put together The TF Roll Out Short Hot Rod's Presentation!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (09 October 2019 - 02:35 PM)

Truant.

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 October 2019 - 12:26 PM)

Haslab Unicron may change the direction of Cyberverse or the netflix series.

@  wonko the sane? : (09 October 2019 - 11:31 AM)

Bluecheesewagon

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Power Rangers General Discussion

5490 replies to this topic

#4741 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 9118 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 18 June 2018 - 10:04 PM

I'd say a passing familiarity with the original series is best at least but as long as you know the cast of Jason, Zack, Billy, Kimberly, Trini and Tommy and how they fight a space witch that sends monsters down to earth that they fight with martial arts in color coded spandex and Giant robots I think you are good. The main comic starts a bit after Tommy's intro as the Green ranger so he's still at odds a bit with the rest of the cast and slowly integrates as the comic continues.

Later on during Shattered Grid.... you'll most likely be a bit lost as the different teams are brought in. But pretty much everything before just needs basic knowledge of the MMPR team, Zodron, Alpha 5, Rita, Goldar.

The GO GO Power Ranger book starts before Tommy and has more of the drama of the team still being in High School than the action of the battles more. Can't really say much more than that since the only GO GO books I've gotten are tied to the SG event introducing the Ranger Slayer version of Kim

Edited by Daith, 18 June 2018 - 11:02 PM.

#4742 Daith

Daith

• Supporter
  • 9118 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 10:07 PM

And before someone else gets to it :D

#4743 SoS

SoS
  • Administrator
  • 5198 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 21 June 2018 - 04:28 PM

As Daith mentioned, you only really need basic knowledge to understand some of the things happening in Shattered Grid, other than that the GO GO Power Rangers book is a Year One type of book that you can just pick up without worrying about knowing much.

I seriously recommend this book. It's really good.

--SoS

#4744 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7241 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 24 June 2018 - 06:07 PM

Well, I jumped in at the beginning of Shattered Grid. I've enjoyed it a lot; it certainly doesn't demand much knowledge of the show. I'm sure people who know every series get more out of it than me, but given you can just go with "these are the original guys and here's a bunch of other ones visiting from parallel universes" it's very easy to enjoy as a layperson. 

I will definitely catch up on the earlier material. I've already grabbed all of Go Go, which I've enjoyed more. Not sure why... on paper it seems logical, it's the younger book with less baggage both in terms of issue count and by virtue of its premise. But that kind of not-really-in-continuity First Class-style retro-book rarely engages me for long at Marvel or DC, but I guess Boom's PR books are more self-contained and their own thing than such a project would be in the big superhero universe. Part of it is probably that the Ranger Slayer seems like one of the coolest ideas in the event. 

I never could have imagined myself getting into Power Rangers, but with most of it on Netflix I'll probably dip in and sample some stuff, whatever Shattered Grid leads me to. Like, Jen's a big deal in the book so I'll probably have a look at Time Force. In Space maybe. RPM? The Corinth stuff is all pretty interesting. I sort of assumed that every season of Power Rangers was just different high schoolers hanging out at juice bars or whatever but this thing goes all over the place. Which I probably should have realised because visiting Japan last year got me kind of interested in Tokusatsu stuff but I never really thought to follow it back to Saban. 

• SoS likes this

WsuGTl1.jpg

#4745 Daith

Daith

• Supporter
  • 9118 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 11:02 PM

RPM is actually one of the darkest of the series despite having some of the Goofiest looking Zords. It's still quite silly overall but the story actually is interesting with the Rangers being the last bastion for humanity.

Time Force is a mixed bag. Despite the name I think Time Travel comes up as much as it did in MMPR. It gets the Rangers to the then present day and then there is a bit later in the series.

In Space is the concluding chapter of the Zordon Era and was a season where they went all out thinking it was the end of the series because of how bad Turbo had bombed before it. And the finale went out with a bang. Thus it was the last one with High schoolers for quite some time.

#4746 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36422 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 07:15 AM

RPM is actually one of the darkest of the series despite having some of the Goofiest looking Zords. It's still quite silly overall but the story actually is interesting with the Rangers being the last bastion for humanity.

Time Force is a mixed bag. Despite the name I think Time Travel comes up as much as it did in MMPR. It gets the Rangers to the then present day and then there is a bit later in the series.

In Space is the concluding chapter of the Zordon Era and was a season where they went all out thinking it was the end of the series because of how bad Turbo had bombed before it. And the finale went out with a bang. Thus it was the last one with High schoolers for quite some time.

Time Force was a bait and switch for the production team as well. The sizzle tape they got of the series showed the time travel stuff, what little there actually is of it, and they thought that's what they were getting, but what they actually got as we know, has almost no Time Travel at all so they had to write around that. I think that's why its overall much closer to the Sentai compared to some series that Lynn does.

In Space is the concluding Chapter, but Lost Galaxy is the Epilogue as it deals with the last major elements of the Zordon Era before we get a kinda-soft reboot with Lightspeed Rescue; which is where the series really changes to be more Sentai-like in that each season is its own self-contained story with maybe some call backs and crossovers, but still mostly itself own thing. Lost Galaxy brings back villains, characters, and one major set piece from In Space, the level of crossover and continuity that we've yet to really see again unless you count the seriously rushed clusterhug that is Megaforce, that still makes LG firmly in the Zordon Era imo. 

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#4747 Daith

Daith

• Supporter
  • 9118 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 02:02 PM

I'd thought about saying just that about Lost Galaxy but I was being lazy and wanted to get back to my gaming.Even then the chain of connection doesn't fully break until the Ninja Storm season with no previous team coming back for an episode that season. Heck Wild Forces connection to Time Force was actually really good. Not to mention Forever Red in Wlld Force.

#4748 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36422 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 03:46 PM

Yeah, but in those cases its mostly just a small contained crossover with very little major effect on the rest of the series. I'd forgotten Forever Red, and Once a Ranger both are pretty good crossovers if maybe slightly flawed, but both attempt to be big continuity praisers. And just to be fair to Ninja Storm, I believe that's the season where they first changed over to filming in New Zealand; so getting the Wild Force Cast back probably just wasn't in the budget with having to fly 5+ actors over for just an episode or two.

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

#4749 Glenn

Glenn
  • Supporter
  • 10600 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 06:10 PM

There was time travel in every episode of Time force.. the zords always came from and returned to the future..

*runs away*

#4750 Daith

Daith

• Supporter
  • 9118 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 11:06 AM

So they released a 25th Anniversary comics today with 5 stories over the course of the series. 2 MMPR comics, a Mystic Force prequel, Ninja Steel/MMPR crossover, and the most interesting In Space/Lost Galaxy "The Trial of Astronema". Set after LG a glactic court has captured Karone and put her on trial for her crimes as Astronema and Andros, Mike and Maya come to her defense. But the bomb dropped during the course of the trial....

Spoiler

• SoS likes this

#4751 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

The Dark Knight is Digivolving!

• Staff
  • 13551 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 04:56 PM

Thats a major bit if continuity there. Really ties things together.

fslookup.jpg

#4752 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7241 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 06:51 PM

So all the praise got me reading the Boom stuff, which is indeed really great even though I have never been a PR fan - saw some of the original stuff when the first season or two aired, but was never really into it. Given how much fun the books are, I figured I'd dip into the show, just pick a random season or two depending on what caught my attention in Shattered Grid. One of the first things that seemed interesting was Corinth, this post-apocalyptic Last City thing - I did not really understand that there were elements of Power Rangers that extended beyond Kids In School. RPM was cemented as my starting point when I discovered that it featured a Neighbours alumna.

So I watched the first episode and liked it a lot. It was, on several levels, obviously About What I Expected A Power Rangers Show to be - cheap, cheesy, Not A Classy BBC Drama, etc. But there was plenty of stuff that worked.

I really don't need another fandom spilling junk onto my shelves, but there is definitely a set of these in my future.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1436_3266_24151_PowerRangers_StylizedVinyl_5pk_GLAM_T_large.png

WsuGTl1.jpg

#4753 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7241 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 06:51 PM

I really enjoyed the anniversary special, especially the Astronema story. Despite still being basically clueless about the whole franchise, it was a great read. The depth and scope of the mythology behind this stuff has really surprised me.

While I'm definitely onboard for anything from Boom now, I'm still not sure I'll be able to tolerate the hammy, bastardised TV stuff. That said, I did watch an episode last night... but that's a story for another thread.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#4754 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4586 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 28 June 2018 - 07:06 PM

I really don't need another fandom spilling junk onto my shelves, but there is definitely a set of these in my future.

I've seen those at Target, and don't forget the 2 packs with either the Green Ranger and Dragonzord, or White Ranger and Tigerzord (depending on your 6th ranger preference)

#4755 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 28832 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 09:43 PM

So all the praise got me reading the Boom stuff, which is indeed really great even though I have never been a PR fan - saw some of the original stuff when the first season or two aired, but was never really into it. Given how much fun the books are, I figured I'd dip into the show, just pick a random season or two depending on what caught my attention in Shattered Grid. One of the first things that seemed interesting was Corinth, this post-apocalyptic Last City thing - I did not really understand that there were elements of Power Rangers that extended beyond Kids In School. RPM was cemented as my starting point when I discovered that it featured a Neighbours alumna.

So I watched the first episode and liked it a lot. It was, on several levels, obviously About What I Expected A Power Rangers Show to be - cheap, cheesy, Not A Classy BBC Drama, etc. But there was plenty of stuff that worked.

I'm not sure if starting with RPM was such a good idea, unless you're only interested in getting involved with a single season, as RPM, while quite good, is a rather exceptional season, being the most different a season of Power Rangers has ever been, being the least representative of the show overall.

That said, if you're interested in possibly checking out any other seasons of the show, I'd recommend any of the following for a newcomer looking to see what the show is like at its best:

• Season 7: Power Rangers Lost Galaxy - the first season to begin with an almost wholly new cast and which saw a lot of dramatic twists and turns in its story that were meant to up the show's age demographic from little kids to big kids and preteens, as well as an (eventually) engaging cast of villains and a few ties to the previous seasons meant to establish continuity connections.
  • Season 9: Power Rangers Time Force - arguably the best season Saban ever produced, involving a cast of mostly complex-written characters, some of the best acting of the Saban era, and heavier subjects such as the question of whether we have free will or if our future destinies are set in stone, the ethics of vengeance vs. forgiveness, and the evils of discrimination and prejudice.
  • Season 12: Power Rangers Dino Thunder - the second season to be filmed in New Zealand (the first ten were filmed in California) and IMHO the only season to come the closest to how teenagers in high school really behave, with the mentor being a returning veteran ranger from the original first three seasons (Mighty Morphin Power Rangers), and a level of writing that seemed like it was trying to make the story and characters really develop well.
  • Season 13: Power Rangers SPD - set in the future, this season saw the rangers as officers of a futuristic law enforcement training academy and featured a rather unique villain who played the long game with diversionary tactics and strategies uncommon to the typical main villain of a Power Rangers season, as well as well written characters, a rockin' music score akin those of the early seasons, and some (at times) layered storytelling.
  • Season 16: Power Rangers Jungle Fury - the penultimate season of the Disney Era, this one is considered to be a more underrated season as, while not as great as most of the others on this list, it was pretty solidly and competently done overall despite complications that arose from a writer's strike that went on at the time, and featured a heavier focus on martial arts, good character growth, an interesting cast of villains, and a serialized storyline.

Others that most would recommend that I omitted from this list would be the fan favorite Season 6 (Power Rangers In Space) and the also underrated Season 8 (Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue). The reasons I left these two out is because, while both are considered good seasons, In Space was the season that was originally meant to end the show and featured a heavily amount of continuity connections and continuations of things from the preceding seasons that might confuse new viewers unfamiliar with the first five seasons and the significance that both In Space and its ambitions have to them... And Lightspeed Rescue is considered to be the weakest season of its era (what's known as the Post-Zordon Era), having been book-ended between two very strong seasons that its level of quality just doesn't match up to when set against them. It's not a bad season at all, it's just not as strong as it could have been, being a season themed around the rangers being a government-based team of first responders fighting to protect not the whole world but just one city from a band of kinda boring villains, and newer viewers may find its more grounded-in-reality tone a bit less intriguing than the more fantastical tone of the galaxy-spanning Lost Galaxy and the much heavier tone of the destiny-defying Time Force. Still, both In Space and Lightspeed Rescue are among the better seasons of the show (which include all of the other listed above, and maybe others depending on opinions), both featuring their own doses of drama, tension, twists, and cleverness. But I wouldn't recommend them to a first timer.

Edited by Sabrblade, 28 June 2018 - 11:12 PM.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#4756 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 17857 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 28 June 2018 - 10:44 PM

As a counterpoint, I actually would suggest Lightspeed Rescue to a newcomer since, when you think about shows being above or below the bar, it sorta feels like it is the bar. It feels like the example of the highs and lows of the franchise. I'll note that I'm biased. I actively enjoyed the emergency responder theme and some of the more realistic grounding. Instead of ignoring the blown up builds, they're directly sent to get people out. That said, I wouldn't suggest Lightspeed Rescue to Maruten since he noted the cheese from RPM and that Time Force and SPD are way better picks overall if someone is only watching one or two seasons.
Spoiler

#4757 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36422 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 11:09 PM

Well you've never really gonna get that far from the cheese in PR, its kinda like watching Doctor Who. You go in knowing what you're getting a show that is gonna be weird and cheesy, and where its production quality can be hit or miss; but you still end up enjoying the ride anyway as long as you're not expecting high art, super serious plots and just kinda want to have fun.

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

#4758 Glenn

Glenn
  • Supporter
  • 10600 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 07:15 AM

Well you've never really gonna get that far from the cheese in PR, its kinda like watching Doctor Who. You go in knowing what you're getting a show that is gonna be weird and cheesy, and where its production quality can be hit or miss; but you still end up enjoying the ride anyway as long as you're not expecting high art, super serious plots and just kinda want to have fun.

In this vein I highly recommend Mystic Force.

#4759 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 12319 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 05:38 PM

In 25 years theres really only been 1 completely irredeemable season.
Stuff for sale; every little bit helps. :) https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/143212-for-sale-3p-mp-potp-super-sentai-stuff TWITTER: Paladin4221

#4760 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28634 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 08:38 PM

Cheesy moments?

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users