Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Telly : (21 September 2020 - 06:35 PM)

i dont think theyre due for release until november. at least thats when target says ill get trailbreaker and sunstreaker. thought the wiki says theyre out in singapore

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 September 2020 - 06:01 PM)

Has wave 3 actually reached anywhere yet?

@  Maximus Ambus : (21 September 2020 - 04:40 PM)

A few more Bearimy's for Earthrise wave 3 to reach the UK

@  Spiritofeigh... : (20 September 2020 - 05:07 PM)

Cheers pal.

@  wonko the sane? : (20 September 2020 - 04:42 PM)

Welcome aboard!

@  Spiritofeigh... : (20 September 2020 - 04:38 PM)

Hey, new to the boards

@  RichardT1977 : (20 September 2020 - 02:29 PM)

I had an idea for a Spiral Zone/Go-Busters crossover fanfic...

@  wonko the sane? : (19 September 2020 - 06:35 PM)

I loved what was there, and think it's pretty ripe for "renegades" style reboot.

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 03:13 PM)

It's a shame as I loved Spiral Zone, and the design from the Japanese Toyline of the same name are fantastic, I adore the monowheel motorbike.

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 03:12 PM)

Hasbro doesn't seem to have any interest in doing anything with the TV show, haven't greenlit any attempt to rerelease it, and there have been approaches, so I think it may be aother one of Tonka's legal carcrashes where everyone involved owns a piece and it's not really worth anyone sticking their neck out to claim ownership.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 01:47 PM)

I feel that homages and references would be a fun way to expand the GI Joe brand, and give a little love to lines that are unlikely to be acknowledged beyond such capacity.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 01:47 PM)

I was under the impression that Bandai was more the character design aspects, not story or characters.

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 12:55 PM)

Also isn't it in rights limbo, given how it's loosely based on concepts from a BanDai series much like GoBots?

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 12:52 PM)

We don't need a Spiral Zone reboot, in a decade or so we'll be living it.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 September 2020 - 12:49 PM)

Yeah, but it would fundamentally change the base premise of both gijoe and spiral zone. It's either not the world spanning threat it was, or the zone riders are backed up by a competent force. Either way, you compromise the context of both.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 12:19 PM)

Akin to what was done with Matt Tracker in 2008.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 12:18 PM)

Again, not a PURE transplant, but an integration of ideas and concepts into the world of GI Joe.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 12:18 PM)

@Wonko The Cobra Overlord, with help from Dr. Mindbender and Cesspool, develops machines capable of generating a mind-controlling fog. GI Joe stalwarts Flint, Airtight, Lifeline, and Psyche-Out are joined by Colonal Courage to infiltrate these zones and disable the machines. Figures would sport hostile environment suits (Eco warriors cross with Spiral Zone) and make new versions of the mono-wheel vehicles.

@  Maximus Ambus : (19 September 2020 - 09:39 AM)

Hasbroverse.2 with bought properties: Bravestarr, Ulysses 31, Galaxy Rangers, Shadow Raiders, Manta Force, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, Mighty Orbots, Jem and Bigfoot and the Muscle Machines. Seamless.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 September 2020 - 08:32 AM)

While acknoledging spiral zone would be pretty boss, I doubt they could actively integrate it into anything else: given the scale of the villains deeds.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 08:03 AM)

COPS, Spiral Zone, Shadow Strikers, Action Man, Centurions, MegaForce. They wouldn’t replicate the old lines, but simply acknowledging their existence would be nifty.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 08:01 AM)

I would love to see GI Joe become something of a “celebration of action figures”. Hasbro has SO MANY old action figure properties, and many could slot into the GI Joe umbrella with relative ease.

@  Otaku : (19 September 2020 - 12:04 AM)

G.I. Joe, CyberCOPS, and M.A.S.K. all seem like something that would work from Animated or Prime, though CyberCOPS might have been a bit trickier from Prime.

@  Sabrblade : (18 September 2020 - 11:02 PM)

Rik Alvarez originally wanted the last episode of Prime to spinoff into a new MASK reboot.

@  Otaku : (18 September 2020 - 08:19 PM)

The failed Hasbroverse reminds me how so many things could have been spun off from Transformers: Animated and (after that) Transformers: Prime.

@  ▲ndrusi : (18 September 2020 - 12:43 PM)

Requiem of the Wreckers was post-Revolution, but it was also, you know, a single issue.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (18 September 2020 - 11:06 AM)

But Roche didn't have a series to keep out from the crossovers since Sins of the Wreckers was before Revolution.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (18 September 2020 - 11:01 AM)

Oh wait, that post said Roche, not Barber.

@  Rycochet : (18 September 2020 - 10:46 AM)

And then seemed surprised nobody particlarly wanted it.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (18 September 2020 - 10:25 AM)

Wasn't Barber among the editorial guys that pushed for Hasbroverse?

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 September 2020 - 10:19 AM)

He did it possibly due to 616 Spider-Mans marriage reset between Civil War and Secret Invasion.

@  ▲ndrusi : (18 September 2020 - 09:20 AM)

Bendis kept a tight leash on Ultimate Spider-Man because it was mostly set far away from Earth?

@  -LittleAutob... : (18 September 2020 - 08:49 AM)

I'm learning so much-

@  Maruten : (18 September 2020 - 04:21 AM)

At its worst it was better than MASK, sure.

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 September 2020 - 02:15 AM)

At it's worst it still stomped all over the failed Hasbroverse. Roberts and Roche kept their respective series well out of that one for the same reasons Bendis kept a tight leash on Ultimate Spider-Man when Loeb and Miller wanted greater control for Ultimatum.

@  Maruten : (17 September 2020 - 06:37 PM)

That's so accurate it's physically painful.

@  Rycochet : (17 September 2020 - 02:05 PM)

The Red Dwarf of Transformers? An interesting, innovative and genuinely funny series that descended into a self referential mess of cliches that continues long after it should have been put out to pasture and rendered nerly everyone thoroughly unlikeable? That seems about right.

@  Bass X0 : (17 September 2020 - 01:59 PM)

MTMTE and Lost Light are the Red Dwarf of Transformers stories, as opposed to the others which are more like Star Wars and Star Trek.

@  Kalidor : (17 September 2020 - 01:37 PM)

Anyone in CONUS want a Skylynx for $100 shipped?

@  Maximus Ambus : (17 September 2020 - 01:34 PM)

Maybe an acquired taste in that's in that it's from a fan raised on the UK run where Transformers wasn't taken so seriously in many stories, especially some Earthforce standalones.

@  Paladin : (17 September 2020 - 09:47 AM)

so, terrible?

@  ▲ndrusi : (17 September 2020 - 09:26 AM)

Yeah I think at that point Lost Light is just the '86 movie without the soundtrack.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (17 September 2020 - 02:28 AM)

So, exctly what Triangleman just said.

@  Bass X0 : (17 September 2020 - 12:36 AM)

A few of the same characters.

@  ▲ndrusi : (17 September 2020 - 12:07 AM)

Now having actually read Galaxies #10, I don't actually see what it has in common with Lost Light at all besides featuring Ultra Magnus, Chromedome, and a spaceship.

@  ▲ndrusi : (16 September 2020 - 05:33 PM)

So, it's exactly like Lost Light, then.

@  Bass X0 : (16 September 2020 - 01:52 PM)

What if Lost Light was stripped bare of its charm and humor? Galaxies #10 is the answer.

@  ▲ndrusi : (16 September 2020 - 01:49 PM)

I didn't mean "*exactly* 15 years ago and no other time."

@  NotVeryKnightly : (16 September 2020 - 12:27 AM)

I mean, the comment was about a linewide gimmick of 15 years ago, not a gimmick only present in a minority of toys from that year.

@  Maximus Ambus : (16 September 2020 - 12:14 AM)

I'd like a western take on the UT for it's twentieth, like a annual CG or anime movie on Netflix that is a condensed retelling similar to the film Macross/Robotech: Do You Remember Love.

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Power Rangers General Discussion

5743 replies to this topic

#2441 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 31008 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 26 April 2016 - 08:13 PM

A full body shot of Elizabeth Banks as Rita:

attachicon.gif ebanks250416BZNimage12.jpg

The hairdo screams Divatox, the rest is the secret love child of Uma Thurman's Poison Ivy and Willem Dafoe's Green Goblin.

Edited by Sabrblade, 27 April 2016 - 09:05 AM.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#2442 Aphel Aura

Aphel Aura

I see a red door and I want it painted black.

• Supporter
  • 1676 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 26 April 2016 - 10:54 PM

The hairdo screams Divatox, the rest is the secret love child of Uma Thurman's Poison Ivy and Willem Defoe's Green Goblin.

The look on her face says "this shit is so not worth it..."

QUOTE(The Doctor Who @ Nov 14 2012, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know there's a shortage of words in the world today, you should economize.

QUOTE(Master Fwiffo @ Mar 21 2011, 10:13 AM)
LIFESTYLES ASSOCIATED WITH HONOR:
Samurai
Shipmaster
Klingon
Toy Collector

#2443 D Buster Prime

D Buster Prime

Timeout. Do I convert?

• Retired Staff
  • 26231 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 01:15 AM

The hairdo screams Divatox, the rest is the secret love child of Uma Thurman's Poison Ivy and Willem Defoe's Green Goblin.

The look on her face says "I have a headache."

Fixed.

VOTE FOR SIDEWAYS:

He's on your side...except when he isn't!

Z7ACRD0.jpg

Spoiler

#2444 LiamA

LiamA
  • Citizen
  • 3383 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 27 April 2016 - 06:55 AM

Two more of Elizabeth Banks as Rita.

Rita out on the town.

ebanks250416BZNimage29.jpg ebanks250416BZNimage30.jpg

#2445 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 31008 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 09:05 AM

Looks like she's trying to cast a spell with that coffee.

I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#2446 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 29285 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 09:10 AM

"Magic java, make my tolerance grow!!"

#2447 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 31008 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 09:42 AM

"Magic java, make my tolerance grow!!"

You know, she does kinda look like she's about to throw that cup at whatever she's looking at in front of her. :D

#2448 D Buster Prime

D Buster Prime

Timeout. Do I convert?

• Retired Staff
  • 26231 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 01:06 AM

Rita out on the town.

attachicon.gifebanks250416BZNimage29.jpgattachicon.gifebanks250416BZNimage30.jpg

I so badly want this to be an actual scene from the movie.

VOTE FOR SIDEWAYS:

He's on your side...except when he isn't!

Z7ACRD0.jpg

Spoiler

#2449 Aphel Aura

Aphel Aura

I see a red door and I want it painted black.

• Supporter
  • 1676 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 01:32 AM

Rita out on the town.

attachicon.gifebanks250416BZNimage29.jpgattachicon.gifebanks250416BZNimage30.jpg

I so badly want this to be an actual scene from the movie.

"Like, after 10,000 years, I'm finally free... and, like, I just totally needed a latte, and then Earth will be sooooooo screwed!"

QUOTE(The Doctor Who @ Nov 14 2012, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know there's a shortage of words in the world today, you should economize.

QUOTE(Master Fwiffo @ Mar 21 2011, 10:13 AM)
LIFESTYLES ASSOCIATED WITH HONOR:
Samurai
Shipmaster
Klingon
Toy Collector

#2450 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 18134 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 28 April 2016 - 09:10 AM

ebanks250416BZNimage12.jpg

Weird random thought inspired by this picture:

You know how they are always doing Shakespeare adaptations set in different time periods and genres to try and keep it fresh? I think a Power Rangers style Romeo/Juliet, Richard III, or Tempest could be amazing.

-ZacWilliam, played completely straight but everyone dressed like this and then pulling out giant monsters and robots at the climax.

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 28 April 2016 - 09:11 AM.

Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#2451 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 31008 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 03:34 PM

ebanks250416BZNimage12.jpg

Weird random thought inspired by this picture:

You know how they are always doing Shakespeare adaptations set in different time periods and genres to try and keep it fresh? I think a Power Rangers style Romeo/Juliet, Richard III, or Tempest could be amazing.

-ZacWilliam, played completely straight but everyone dressed like this and then pulling out giant monsters and robots at the climax.

A Shakespeare play adapted into tokusatsu form?

Never would have thought of that.

Edited by Sabrblade, 28 April 2016 - 03:34 PM.

#2452 Exatron

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon

• Citizen
  • 1943 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 28 April 2016 - 05:48 PM

So I recently finally started watching Zyurangers, and am up to the last disc. Since I've been enjoying it, I just ordered Dairangers to give that a try. In turn, that got me curious about MMPR seasons 2 and 3.

I know I watched a fair amount of season 2 back when it aired, but I pretty much lost interest after Jason, Zack, and Trini left. Even before that though, I always found the whole thing with the Dinozords morphing to the Thunderzords kinda off-putting. Since learning more about the Sentai series several years back, I've always wondered about how they handled MMPR past the first season.

Did they ever say why they decided to keep the core team in the Zyurangers outfits, while moving on to Dairangers and Kakurangers for the zords and monsters? Maybe I'll have a different perspective after watching the shows, but I'd think having the team transition to the new outfits along with the new zords would let them reuse a lot more footage and have to spend a lot less time stitching together Zyuranger footage to match the new stories. And I really can't imagine why they'd choose to give Tommy the new outfit if they weren't going to do the same with the rest. Unless maybe the white ranger is just that much more difficult to edit out of the Dairanger footage than the rest are? And did they add those ridiculous zord morphing shots just to leave some tie between the new zords and the old outfits, or was there some other reason for it?

Old stuff, I know, but stuff that's always bugged me. I just eventually ignored and mostly forgot about it until now.

#2453 Ironbite

Ironbite

TIME JUDGED ALL!

• Supporter
  • 29152 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 28 April 2016 - 05:54 PM

Branding.  Saban didn't think that the kids would accept the new suits so they kept the Zyuranger suits in order to keep the look of the team constant.

Ironbite-and thus an empire was born.

xC9l3eY.gif

#2454 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 23988 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 06:29 PM

Did they ever say why they decided to keep the core team in the Zyurangers outfits, while moving on to Dairangers and Kakurangers for the zords and monsters? Maybe I'll have a different perspective after watching the shows, but I'd think having the team transition to the new outfits along with the new zords would let them reuse a lot more footage and have to spend a lot less time stitching together Zyuranger footage to match the new stories. And I really can't imagine why they'd choose to give Tommy the new outfit if they weren't going to do the same with the rest. Unless maybe the white ranger is just that much more difficult to edit out of the Dairanger footage than the rest are? And did they add those ridiculous zord morphing shots just to leave some tie between the new zords and the old outfits, or was there some other reason for it?

Old stuff, I know, but stuff that's always bugged me. I just eventually ignored and mostly forgot about it until now.

I'm pretty sure they got a lot of new footage made of the Ranger suits rather than trying to splice in Zyuranger scenes again.

#2455 Spectre

Spectre
  • Retired Staff
  • 10639 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 06:54 PM

Those ranger suits were iconic. They were everywhere, and you don't dump that kind of recognition if you don't have to. The White Ranger was fresh and felt special, but the brand was still anchored by the Zyu suits. 

#2456 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 29285 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 07:15 AM

I always felt the Zyu costumes and robots worked well as being a foundation for PR as a franchise. Obviously in the Sentai others predate it but in a design sense for the adaptation I think they're the most 'vanilla'. The first Megazord in particular for me works in the same way the RX-78-2 is a clean base to generate the varied and better Gundams of the past three decades.

#2457 Eva Sigma

Eva Sigma

Back to my old demonic ways

• Citizen
  • 29961 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 04 May 2016 - 10:39 AM

The Zyuranger Megazord also explicitly denotes which Zord each Ranger has, while earlier Sentai could be more vague.
QUOTE(Contrary Mary @ Jul 10 2010, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
boobs count as accessories.

QUOTE(Dvandom @ Oct 26 2010, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unless you are kaiju-sized, a shinkansen is not a sex toy.

---Dave
3DS Friend Code: 4613 9837 2957 (It's new! Re-add me! Give me your Friend Codes!)

#2458 Lazy Garou

Lazy Garou

Raider of fridges, eater of food.

• Citizen
  • 4171 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 11:35 AM

any news on the new Ninja megazord? 

A persistent predator is always alert!awake! focused! and Zzzz.....

#2459 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 23988 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 12:12 PM

The first Megazord in particular for me works in the same way the RX-78-2 is a clean base to generate the varied and better Gundams of the past three decades.

But it's not nearly as common for the show's later robot designs to be based on the Megazord as it is for later Gundams to be based on the RX.

#2460 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 29285 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 12:36 PM

The first Megazord in particular for me works in the same way the RX-78-2 is a clean base to generate the varied and better Gundams of the past three decades.

But it's not nearly as common for the show's later robot designs to be based on the Megazord as it is for later Gundams to be based on the RX.

I just mean that first Megazord is good as a plain attempt at one. It isn't as motif focussed as ones that followed it.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users