Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Xellos : (14 November 2019 - 06:47 PM)

What type of vehicle does Boba Fett use for time travel? A Man-DeLorean.

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2019 - 03:55 PM)

Admittedly, it's been a long time since I've been to a walk-in clinic, as I tend not to get sick (and the one time I do every 4-5 years, I prefer just riding it out at home), but the last time I went I'm pretty sure you could just show up, no appointment. It may be different in Quebec,though

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:36 PM)

One thing to note about health insurance in Germany is that we have a two-class system: mandatory health insurance is basically the economy class, while private health insurance is the business class.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:32 PM)

My local doctor is actually a shared office with several doctors where you will get randomly assigned to one of the doctors available that day.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:30 PM)

Also, employers are required by law to cover part of their employees' health insurance fees, so I only have to pay my part.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:28 PM)

Basic examinations and sick notes (known as "work-inability certificates" in Germany) for the employer are covered by our health insurances by default.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 November 2019 - 12:02 PM)

Around here, we can go to a walk-in clinic whenever, but might have to wait in the queue until there's a doctor available, which can take hours on a busy day. And then hope our insurance will cover anything.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 November 2019 - 07:38 AM)

There actually are a good number of clinics around here: but the walk ins require an appointment (what?) and are only done once a week. IF you can get an appointment, you see a doctor usually within 40 minutes, but good luck getting the appointment.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 03:35 AM)

Depending on the day.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 03:35 AM)

We have family doctors (called "house doctors") with regular office hours where you may need an hour or two of waiting time.

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2019 - 12:50 AM)

Two weeks? That seems a little long; are there not a lot of walk-in clinics around you?

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2019 - 07:01 PM)

Does germany make it quick and easy to see a doctor too? Cause an emergency doctor visit can take two weeks out here, and an emergency ROOM visit can take 18-24 hours.

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:43 PM)

(Good thing is, under German law, if you call in sick during your vacation and see a doctor immediately, you get to keep your vacation days.)

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:42 PM)

Too bad. My plans wee to do two more overtime hours before having my last day of vacation for the year on Friday. Oh well.

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:41 PM)

So I'm currently on medical leave for a particularly stupid reason: Burned my back with a hot-water bag while sleeping last night. Though the doctor said I'm hardly the first person to have this happen to them.

@  Patch : (13 November 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Just a particularly odious example of the 90s era of depicting transgender women as either the subject of crude humor, or "Jerry Springer" material.

@  Ashley : (13 November 2019 - 04:55 PM)

I think Ace Ventura legit contributed to me spending years in self denial. I will never be ok with Jim Carrey.

@  Benbot : (13 November 2019 - 01:22 PM)

I thought he since changed his tune.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (13 November 2019 - 12:51 PM)

Jim Carry Paladin?

@  Maximus Ambus : (13 November 2019 - 12:22 PM)

Don't doubt what he can do. Sonic the Hedgehog!

@  Paladin : (13 November 2019 - 11:51 AM)

not giving a dime to a transphobic antivaxxer.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2019 - 11:25 AM)

It'll be a terrible movie if jim carrey phones it in. Otherwise it should be decent.

@  Paladin : (13 November 2019 - 10:45 AM)

sonics' still gonna be a terrible movie but at least they whined loud enough to make him look passable for a 2-minute trailer. "yay."

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:37 AM)

But of course to annoying people there's no such thing as different decisions made for different reasons, there is only "I like it so it's right" and "I don't like it so it's wrong."

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:35 AM)

Even if we pretend it's objective truth that they were both bad, then they were bad in very different ways.

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:33 AM)

Sonic's previous movie design looked genuinely bad. The Transformers '07 designs just looked insufficiently like what certain loud and obnoxious parts of the fandom think Transformers are required to always look like.

@  Otaku : (13 November 2019 - 08:50 AM)

Um... Purple Monkey Dishwasher?

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 November 2019 - 08:25 AM)

Do we really need to have Every Movie Transformer Thread Ever in the Squawkbox?

@  Bass X0 : (13 November 2019 - 08:13 AM)

Sure it made money but that doesn’t mean it has appealing character designs. Lot of god awful fugly faces in the Transformers movies.

@  Otaku : (12 November 2019 - 08:25 PM)

@Liege My issue with Transformers (2007) were elements I thought were unnecessary.  I know it was supposed to just be a joke, but I didn't ever need to hear about "Sam's Happy Time". >.> Which, being in awe of the first "live action" TF-film, didn't even register until I'd already purchased and watched it on DVD a few times (after seeing it in theaters 3 times).

@  Liege : (12 November 2019 - 08:22 PM)

For all the Bayisms in the 07 movie, it was tempered by Spielberg as producer. Designs aside it was an enjoyable popcorn blockbuster about a boy and his first car who happens to be an alien from another planet. They sequels are just Bay going unchecked after he proved how much bank he could bring in.

@  TM2-Megatron : (12 November 2019 - 07:12 PM)

I didn't find the designs in the '07 movie to be that bad, personally. What got really offputting was how Cybertronians in general become such huge a-holes in the later films; the designs were very much secondary to their horrible personalities

@  Sabrblade : (12 November 2019 - 06:59 PM)

And yet, Transformers still broke the bank at the box office, opened up the brand to a whole new generation of fans, shot the brand up to mainstream appeal, and enabled all kinds of new collector-oriented lines and other avenues to come about. Not saying Sonic's movie will do the same for his series, but the 2007 TF movie certainly did more good than harm.

@  Bass X0 : (12 November 2019 - 06:09 PM)

Paramount changed Sonic due to fan backlash but refused to redo Transformers 2007 with new cgi appearances based on their classic forms everyone’s knows and loves, and can relate to. Trailer 1 Sonic is as appealing a design as 2007 Bumblebee...

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 02:14 PM)

I don't. They're a pain in the ass to repair.

@  Benbot : (12 November 2019 - 12:48 PM)

I wish car companies would bring back flip up headlights

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 09:07 AM)

Wear a hazmat suit. It's Walmart, they're used to weird.

@  wonko the sane? : (12 November 2019 - 07:54 AM)

2 inches of snow on the side of the house, 2 feet of snow on the deck. I hate this winter already.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (11 November 2019 - 11:33 PM)

But that requires actually going IN walmart. ;P

@  Liege : (11 November 2019 - 11:22 PM)

Pro tip for anyone hunting the for the Walmart 35th exclusives: try the seasonal aisles rather than the toy section. I found the display with all the exclusives and a bunch of the reflector wave practically untouched amongst those novelty arcade machines and a bunch of frozen merch.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 November 2019 - 09:45 PM)

Although that does spark an idea for me. In a new continuity, Censere the Necrobot could be the herald Cityspeaker for Quintessa the Necrotitan just to play on their monikers utilizing Greek for dead, nekrós.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 November 2019 - 09:26 PM)

I hate to burst your bubble, Maximus Ambus, but 90% of things said in IDW turned out to be amnesiac half-rememberings courtesy of Adaptus or outright lies courtesy of Shockwave.

@  Jenny : (11 November 2019 - 08:54 AM)

The toy's designed to look like Wipe-Out, anyway.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 November 2019 - 08:14 AM)

Didn't they try to retcon that into a figure of speech because that connection went against everybody else's long-term plans?

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 November 2019 - 03:53 AM)

There's still some connection given Trypticon was created by Mortilus.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 November 2019 - 12:12 AM)

Yeah that toy doesn't exactly look like Necrobot.

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 08:24 PM)

But.... it's just "Necro" not "Necrobot".

@  TheMightyMol... : (10 November 2019 - 05:10 PM)

But why does the God of Death need a giant space kaiju? Wait, never mind, answered my own question.

@  Maximus Ambus : (10 November 2019 - 02:15 PM)

Yowza I just realised Titans Trypticon comes with Necro AKA Censere AKA Mortilus.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:15 PM)

I... think the best equivalent would actually be the British "There is room for improvement".

Photo
- - - - -

Red Dwarf series X

64 replies to this topic

#1 Maximus Ambus

Maximus Ambus
  • Citizen
  • 6309 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:33 AM

Where can a series go after becoming a parody of itself? EVEN LOWER!

14424580661_11292a86a0_n.jpg

#2 BlitzwingHaz

BlitzwingHaz

"Wooo! I'm freaking out!"

• Citizen
  • 16319 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:51 AM

That was a terrible trailer. I don't like seeing them as old guys either. icon-screamer.gif

#3 Stilton Disco

Stilton Disco
  • Citizen
  • 3714 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:38 AM

QUOTE(BlitzwingHaz @ Jul 26 2012, 01:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That was a terrible trailer. I don't like seeing them as old guys either. icon-screamer.gif

The only one I'm really bothered by is Rimmer, since it doesn't really make much sense to have an aging hologram. However, Lister has really just got a bit fat and weathered looking, which given that he's a disgusting, lazy slob, works for me. The Cat's more or less the same thanks to his actor having kept in better shape over the years, and Kryten is wearing a mask which covers most of the most notable signs of aging on him.

Really, I'm still hopeful for the series, and it can't be any worse than the last full series, and dispute it's quite prominant faults Back to Earth wasn't, but I think the problem really is that it's forgotten what its supposed to be making jokes at, and needs to start parodying more modern Sci Fi. The cast are still great comedic actors, they really just need at least good, more original, material to work with.

That really was a bad trailer though.
No, I'm not 'that' TotalBiscuit.

#4 Dave Zero1

Dave Zero1
  • Citizen
  • 2488 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:53 PM

QUOTE(Total Biscuit @ Jul 26 2012, 03:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only one I'm really bothered by is Rimmer, since it doesn't really make much sense to have an aging hologram.

Rimmer wondered the exact same thing in Series 6 whan he met his future self. icon-fire.gif

Edited by Dave Zero1, 26 July 2012 - 04:54 PM.

#5 {Zero}

{Zero}

I'm a lead farmer!!

• Validating
  • 1824 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:07 PM

I was reading about this on another forum and someone came up with a possible explanation for Rimmer aging: Rimmer was originally restored as a hologram as a companion for Lister, to keep him sane, it's possible that his he is programmed to age along with Lister.

Looking forward to the new series, hoping it will be good.

#6 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 42315 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:25 PM

I always figured that myself for rimmer. I mean, they "technically" hate each other... so seeing the guy you hate never age, get fat, bald... that's a major kick in the teeth. And its the kind that sneaks up on you too. You just look in the mirror one day: see a fat bastard glaring back, then you look at your room mate: still 25, fit, good skin and teeth.

Like most things, this has potential. Being a mad red dwarf fan, I will watch it regardless. I got enough time to finish my current run through anyway. Second half of series 4, here I come.
Per Nick Nemesis's Suggestion: I hate everything.

#7 Stilton Disco

Stilton Disco
  • Citizen
  • 3714 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:10 PM

QUOTE(Dave Zero1 @ Jul 26 2012, 04:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Total Biscuit @ Jul 26 2012, 03:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only one I'm really bothered by is Rimmer, since it doesn't really make much sense to have an aging hologram.

Rimmer wondered the exact same thing in Series 6 whan he met his future self. icon-fire.gif

Yeah, you're right, how'd I forget that? I could probably quote half that episode now that I think about it infact.

Damnit, I really need to rewatch the old series again. Sadly it's one of only a handful of pieces of fiction I like that my fianc?e doesn't, and finding enough time alone to watch more than an episode or two a week just isn't going to happen, especially when it has a small mountain of games to compete with.

#8 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28687 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:14 AM

Will this at least be building to some kind of conclusion? After the massive cliffhanger the last series ended on and the constant failed attempts to budget a movie, I'd really welcome there actually being an end point to the story. Especially after the last two BBC series weren't their greatest stuff.

#9 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 42315 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:38 AM

QUOTE(HellCat @ Jul 27 2012, 09:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Will this at least be building to some kind of conclusion? After the massive cliffhanger the last series ended on and the constant failed attempts to budget a movie, I'd really welcome there actually being an end point to the story. Especially after the last two BBC series weren't their greatest stuff.

They die, alone and in space, millions of years from earth. This was a foregone conclusion when everyone decided that it was more important to stay awake during the trip than actually seeing the end of the journey.

The point of the show isn't making it to the end, its seeing how they cope during an unending voyage.

#10 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28687 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:08 AM

Not if the scripts don't hold up it ain't.

#11 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 42315 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:38 AM

Yeah, but thats a given for any show, regardless of gendre.

#12 Stilton Disco

Stilton Disco
  • Citizen
  • 3714 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:57 AM

QUOTE(wonko the sane? @ Jul 27 2012, 08:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(HellCat @ Jul 27 2012, 09:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They die, alone and in space, millions of years from earth. This was a foregone conclusion when everyone decided that it was more important to stay awake during the trip than actually seeing the end of the journey.

The point of the show isn't making it to the end, its seeing how they cope during an unending voyage.

I kind of hope it ends with a bit of a mix of the Better than Life and Last Human novels.

They find Earth; light years away from where it should be, only to learn humanity turned it into a giant rubbish dump, covering it in trash until an eruption of garbage gas farted it out of orbit.

Bring back Kachanski, make Lister king of the giant Cockroaches, let Rimmer properly go out as a hero, and let the journey end on a hopeful but slightly bittersweet note. I'd even be happy to get 'not quite Ace' Rimmer junior in it.

I really want to catch up with the other Cats before the show ends though.

#13 Maximus Ambus

Maximus Ambus
  • Citizen
  • 6309 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:01 AM

I always figured the three million years thing was false data from faulty systems.
They found derelicts of ships and other facilities on planets proving time had passed but Kryten and postal pods should have shut down long ago.

#14 Blueshift

Blueshift
  • Citizen
  • 2296 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:53 PM

I wouldn't be too worried. I was lucky enough to be at the filming for one of the eps, and it was brilliant, definitely felt a lot like series 3/4 in vibe. I don't think that trailer does it justice at all.

#15 Anonymous X

Anonymous X
  • Citizen
  • 3273 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:57 PM

QUOTE(Ricky Spanish @ Jul 27 2012, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I always figured the three million years thing was false data from faulty systems.

That was my pet theory for years, pleased to see someone else had the same thoughts. icon-hotrod.gif
QUOTE(Specimen-17 @ Feb 29 2012, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ultimately, collecting toys with gold plastic is like global thermonuclear war. The only way to win is not to play.

#16 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36472 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:33 PM

QUOTE(Anonymous X @ Jul 28 2012, 05:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Ricky Spanish @ Jul 27 2012, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That was my pet theory for years, pleased to see someone else had the same thoughts. icon-hotrod.gif

They do make constant mention of Holly's senility throughout the series. Why can't the time estimate be part of that?

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#17 ultra magnus13

ultra magnus13

Razzaroo

• Citizen
  • 6701 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:54 PM

QUOTE(Ricky Spanish @ Jul 27 2012, 02:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They found derelicts of ships and other facilities on planets proving time had passed but Kryten and postal pods should have shut down long ago.

Red Dwarf still works. Why wouldn't other ships, and technology?
I finally got rid of that big white box.

#18 Maximus Ambus

Maximus Ambus
  • Citizen
  • 6309 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:29 AM

Pro three million years:
- the Cat's species evolved
- the radiation had a half life of three million years
- they do refer to being three million years in deep space.
- I suppose stasis could also be used for storage to keep food and chemicals fresh

Against three million years
- Kryten was built in the twenty fourth century and mentions being online for thousands of years on the Nova 5 thinking he was serving human women.
- three million years in deep space they find other ships from earth in less then two, though they did possess superior FTL technology.
- the holoship
- the humans the psirens killed (there's no logic to them making that up).
- supplies on wrecks and derelicts.

#19 Stilton Disco

Stilton Disco
  • Citizen
  • 3714 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:41 AM

That's the thing, Red Dwarf itself seems to be 3 million years old, but everything they encounter definitely appears much younger.

I think there's two ways of reconciling the contradiction, either weird space stuff was encountered during the trip that sent them back in time, not an unreasonable possibility given how much they stumble upon after turning around and heading for home.

Or, it's a side effect of breaking the speed of light in a thoroughly impossible manner. They certainly were experiencing weird time anomalies while at FTL after all.

Edited by Total Biscuit, 29 July 2012 - 03:43 AM.

#20 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 42315 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:15 AM

Or the red dwarf is just hitting the leading edge of the last human colonization and exploration wave before the species died out. That would be hundreds of thousands, to millions of years in the future (Relative to the initial launching of the dwarf.) anyway.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users