Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (13 September 2019 - 01:54 PM)

Why do you feel a need to label yourself for doing something harmless?

@  Telly : (13 September 2019 - 11:10 AM)

thats more than i look at on reddit

@  Benbot : (13 September 2019 - 10:49 AM)

am I a basic bitch for only browsing the front page of Reddit?

@  Shrug : (12 September 2019 - 12:26 PM)

I managed to find about 2/3s of my goal Sega Genesis collection before the last price bump

@  Anonymous X : (12 September 2019 - 11:11 AM)

So relieved that I picked up most of my NTSC GameCube collection in 2010/11 before prices on the secondary market went bezerk...

@  unluckiness : (12 September 2019 - 12:54 AM)

I have fond memories of it since it was the last console Mario Kart that didn't have the ridiculous pre-race cart assembly

@  TM2-Megatron : (11 September 2019 - 10:26 PM)

Like many Gamecube games, underrated

@  unluckiness : (11 September 2019 - 09:24 AM)

Double Dash is great. Just watch out for blue shells

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 07:43 AM)

I used a double dash on my mobile. The chat didn’t like it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 September 2019 - 04:17 AM)

The mobile version of the site chokes on certain characters, I think.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 September 2019 - 04:10 AM)

what's with that punctuation anyway

@  Nevermore : (11 September 2019 - 03:20 AM)

Now where did that come from, Bass X0?

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 01:52 AM)

Politics and Religion — tools of foul play!

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you owe, you're expected to actually pay it at the time you file, before they even process your return

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you file electronically, I find you usually get your refund within a couple weeks

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 06:22 PM)

Well, lucky it took less than two months for me. For a little over 200 Euros.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Pretty much, yeah. Canada revenue will be all up your ass if you earn less than 200K and owe tax, but your refund is basically "duke nukem forever".

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Whereas if you overpaid and they have to refund you, they will take their sweet time to let you know.

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Like, here in Germany, if the tax authority responds to your tax report quickly, you can rest assured they want more money.

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:33 PM)

Do tax authorities in other countries base their time to respond to filed tax reports on whether they owe or are owed as well?

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 11:13 AM)

Check what the requirements are for your cad program, and try to beat them by about 20%, and understand that software requirements have been stable for a few years: not really keeping up with the advancements in hardware. Unless you're doing something SPECIFIC which requires ludicrous amounts of power, just give your self a cushion on hardware and don't bother going whole hog.

@  Benbot : (10 September 2019 - 10:16 AM)

What I'm currently using is an i5 2018 Surface Laptop. My current desktop is all but dead. I think in the end affordability will win out over specs. I need to use CAD programs, but I'm a student, not a professional.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 10:06 AM)

Okay. Whats the specs on the I7 and what are you currently using?

@  Benbot : (10 September 2019 - 09:23 AM)

fun and games

@  wonko the sane? : (09 September 2019 - 04:43 PM)

Depends entirely on what you use the computer for.

@  Steevy Maximus : (09 September 2019 - 11:52 AM)

Probably not

@  Benbot : (09 September 2019 - 09:39 AM)

Do I need an i7 on my new computer?

@  Nevermore : (08 September 2019 - 12:08 PM)

https://imgur.com/fkyjpza

@  Nevermore : (08 September 2019 - 12:07 PM)

Today's convention haul:

@  wonko the sane? : (08 September 2019 - 08:54 AM)

But it was Huuunnngrrrryyyy. What was I supposed to do?

@  MEDdMI : (08 September 2019 - 08:23 AM)

But did you feed any small fuzzy creatures after midnight?

@  wonko the sane? : (08 September 2019 - 06:32 AM)

Shouldn't be. I literally just built it. Not even three weeks ago even.

@  TM2-Megatron : (07 September 2019 - 10:13 PM)

Sounds like your computer's on its last lags, Wonko

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 07:37 PM)

Dunno, crucial says it's fine, gonna need a second opinion.

@  Pennpenn : (07 September 2019 - 06:52 PM)

Good luck! (or break a leg if it's like theater luck...)

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 06:46 PM)

Alright. The damages now seem to include my primary SSD. Thankfully, the gaming drive (I have now lost all my games and mods entirely.) Let me wipe it and install there. Once the crucial utility is installed again, will verify the drive.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 03:32 PM)

Three more crashes since I pulled the ram. Verifying the OS now... tonight might be a reinstalling kinda night.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 11:46 AM)

And thankfully it wasn't totally dead, so it was working on occassion. If the problem is actually solved, I just need to wait and see if the program/system crashes are over.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 11:45 AM)

Got it. I wound up running the memtest four more times, because of course it's always the last dimm. But I got the culprit. I lost 8 gig, but I'm still at three times the "recommended" amount.

@  Hg Dragon : (07 September 2019 - 11:09 AM)

DL and run MemTest86. It'll help weed out issues. Run 1 stick at a time. Then run a stick that passed in each slot. Will help you find out if it's the RAM or the slot/motherboard

@  Patch : (07 September 2019 - 10:45 AM)

How many RAM sticks do you have total?

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 09:57 AM)

Great, two weeks of random BSODs, and I manage to finally work out some ram has gone bad. Just need to work out which one(s) and then I can go from there.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 06:25 AM)

*just stares*

@  unluckiness : (07 September 2019 - 04:27 AM)

My french is rusty but I'd guess Italienne-americain pain du sauce

@  Nevermore : (07 September 2019 - 02:58 AM)

What do they want "pizza" to be called? Crpes superior?

@  unluckiness : (07 September 2019 - 01:11 AM)

Are they still suing Italian restaurants for having food that's insufficiently French?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (06 September 2019 - 10:31 PM)

Not even Quebec likes Quebec?

@  TM2-Megatron : (06 September 2019 - 08:51 PM)

Quebec's a special case; they just have an insatiable lust for hate

@  Ashley : (06 September 2019 - 07:48 PM)

Those weird language laws are basically anti-everyone. Who does it help to stop certain toys from being sold there?

@  TM2-Megatron : (06 September 2019 - 04:56 PM)

Canada is one of those rare countries that's paradoxically both anti-business (except for the chosen few) and anti-consumer

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Tara Strong once again confirmed for coolest person ever

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
211 replies to this topic

#181 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

That was then, this is now.

• Citizen
  • 9244 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:04 AM

QUOTE(pao @ Oct 3 2012, 04:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Zeel1 @ Oct 2 2012, 09:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
(This was before I was aware that Tara Strong was everyone all the characters Grey DeLisle isn't.)

FTFY.

Incidentally, why hasn't Grey DeLisle gotten a role on FiM yet? I seriously had expected that to happen by now. Maybe it's because she's not Canadian.

That would be exactly why. You can't just swagger up there and record, you need a visa and all that. Tara's a Canadian native and has dual citizenship.

#182 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11244 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:58 AM

Not just a Visa, you need to be part of ACTRA (the Canadian actors' union). There's a whole mountain of legal red tape designed to "protect" the Canadian film/TV industry from being "taken over" by American talent.

#183 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 41992 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:22 AM

QUOTE(Creature SH @ Oct 3 2012, 05:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time somebody neglects to mention Tress MacNeille, the animation gods kill one of whatever things the Animaniacs were.

Think of those things.

There's only three of them. Their all probably dead by now... which explains the lack of come-back.

QUOTE(Cybersnark @ Oct 3 2012, 07:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not just a Visa, you need to be part of ACTRA (the Canadian actors' union). There's a whole mountain of legal red tape designed to "protect" the Canadian film/TV industry from being "taken over" by American talent.

In fairness. Canadian actors and writers can't all be "lucky" enough to make it in hollywood, and hollywoods ability to grandly over-expose individuals would make it harder for canadian talent to find work even in our own industry if it was easy for those people to waltz into any place they want and claim work.

Now mind you: I don't necessarily agree with how actra does it, but I can understand why they do it.
Per Nick Nemesis's Suggestion: I hate everything.

#184 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 38671 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:07 AM

It's such a tough industry to break into.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#185 pao

pao

Life is a struggle.

• Supporter
  • 858 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:30 PM

Re: Canadians: Fair enough.

#186 Pocket

Pocket

Hraeth ela mi!

• Citizen
  • 4316 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:40 PM

Tara got on the show because Lauren Faust already knew her and wanted her to play Pinkie Pie. Then they did some test recordings in her home studio and decided she'd make a better Twilight Sparkle. This was all before the rest of the casting was done.

I imagine any relevant unions would have to defer to the fact that it is, ultimately, an American show that just happens to be outsourcing 90% of the work. So they could bring as many LA-based actors as they wanted if they thought it was worth it. But really, is putting American TV voice actors on the show just because they are who they are any different from the stunt casting that animated films all do nowadays, or the endless parades of guest stars on The Simpsons?

If you ever somehow become a Catholic saint, be aware that they will harvest your bones and build altars around them.

#187 pao

pao

Life is a struggle.

• Supporter
  • 858 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:20 PM

No, but that scenario seems unlikely, since in the great scheme of things few people know who various VAs are anyways. (Grey DeLisle came to my mind specifically because of her work on Foster's, thus establishing a Lauren Faust connection.)

#188 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 38671 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

There are only so many good VAs out there. Those who can do it really have a gift.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#189 (Deactivated) Sobana

(Deactivated) Sobana
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:46 PM

How did John De Lancie manage to get a VA part on the show then?

#190 stonecutter

stonecutter

One-trick Pony

• Citizen
  • 67 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:33 AM

QUOTE(Sobana @ Oct 3 2012, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because he has a great voice.
"I'll tell everyone about your Discord fanfic!"
*gasp* "No one must know!"

#191 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 41992 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:26 AM

QUOTE(Sobana @ Oct 3 2012, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey musta jumped through all the hoops. Say's he was born and raised in philly.

Actually, considering he was already on numerous canadian productions (I know he was on star gate, which was mostly canadian in conception.) he must already be registered or what have you.

#192 (Deactivated) Sobana

(Deactivated) Sobana
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE(wonko the sane? @ Oct 4 2012, 08:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, considering he was already on numerous canadian productions (I know he was on star gate, which was mostly canadian in conception.) he must already be registered or what have you.

It sounds pretty simple to get registered. How much paper work does it involve?

#193 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 41992 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:13 PM

QUOTE(Sobana @ Oct 4 2012, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really have no idea. But given its a canadian bureaucracy, I would guess enough to deforest our northern reaches.

#194 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

• Citizen
  • 11244 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:41 PM

You need a certain number of screen credits to join ACTRA and move up through their hierarchy (which you can only get by working aboard an ACTRA-certified production. See the catch-22?).

There's also the (monthly?) dues that have to be paid, and being banned from working on non-ACTRA productions, which can be enough to ruin a working actor, since so few indie productions can affort ACTRA rates. It's great if you happen to be a reasonably big name who can get regular high-profile jobs (i.e., if you have friends in America who can get you into the American films that come up here), but for the vast majority, those small, domestic, non-union gigs are how they put food on the table.

(I have actor friends who are deliberately avoiding ACTRA for as long as possible, "because [they] like to work.")

#195 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 38671 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:45 PM

I'm glad I'm not an actor.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#196 (Deactivated) Sobana

(Deactivated) Sobana
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:27 AM

QUOTE(Cybersnark @ Oct 4 2012, 03:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You need a certain number of screen credits to join ACTRA and move up through their hierarchy (which you can only get by working aboard an ACTRA-certified production. See the catch-22?).

There's also the (monthly?) dues that have to be paid, and being banned from working on non-ACTRA productions, which can be enough to ruin a working actor, since so few indie productions can affort ACTRA rates. It's great if you happen to be a reasonably big name who can get regular high-profile jobs (i.e., if you have friends in America who can get you into the American films that come up here), but for the vast majority, those small, domestic, non-union gigs are how they put food on the table.

(I have actor friends who are deliberately avoiding ACTRA for as long as possible, "because [they] like to work.")

Um, it sounds more like the ACTRA is designed to get more American actors in and keep Canadian actors out. All you have to do is have an American company film in Canada and your in the club?

QUOTE(wonko the sane? @ Oct 4 2012, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Sobana @ Oct 4 2012, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really have no idea. But given its a canadian bureaucracy, I would guess enough to deforest our northern reaches.

More then American bureaucracy? Doubtful, I hear tell they barely use their social security number in Canada. In America, just to get a job interview you need to sign a 15 page contract with each page needing to be signed and dated three times along with your social security number and proof of ID. One would imagine that is would save a lot of time if they only had to sign it once at the end.

Edited by Sobana, 05 October 2012 - 08:32 AM.

#197 pao

pao

Life is a struggle.

• Supporter
  • 858 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:49 AM

I've never had to sign a contract just to get an interview, Sobana. I work for a large government contractor and I didn't have to provide any proof that I could work legally in the US until after I accepted the offer, and IIRC just had to initial each page of the employment contract (to prove I'd seen it.)

So YMMV.

#198 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

• Citizen
  • 11244 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:24 AM

QUOTE(Sobana @ Oct 5 2012, 09:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Um, it sounds more like the ACTRA is designed to get more American actors in and keep Canadian actors out. All you have to do is have an American company film in Canada and your in the club?

It's less about nationality than about budget; Canada actually has two different film industries; the American industry (with budgets measured in millions and billions) comes up here and films, hiring Canadian talent (in order to qualify for tax breaks, meaning that they have legally-mandated hiring quotas).

The domestic industry has budgets measured in the tens of dollars, is usually run out of the director's basement, and films only on weekends, and is done as a hobby by people who rely on other jobs for a paycheque (my typical interviews go "What do you do?" "I'm a script supervisor." "No, I mean what do you do for a living?"). In order to get money, Canadian producers have to go co-pro (most "Canadian" films/series that you hear about are actually Canada/France or Canada/South Africa or Canada/China co-productions).

ACTRA is designed to protect Canadian actors, ensuring that they get well paid for their work, unfortunately that means that most internal Canadian productions can't afford to pay full ACTRA rates (or if they do, it means no-one else gets paid --most of the "work" I get is on the volunteer basis).

#199 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 41992 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:43 PM

I do extra work sometimes. Mostly background stuff in movies: all the american productions I've been on have been these enormous affairs, where everyone was well treated and paid. The CBC productions, of which I have done two or three, were crap in comparison. Americans pay for everyone to have lunch: the canadians pay for the star actor to have lunch.

#200 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 38671 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:19 PM

It's a similar situation down here. Local productions don't pay well if at all (a lot of work is for screen credits only) so we actively encourage big productions to bring work here. We require that they hire local talent for a specified portion of the work, and in exchange we offer tax incentives and really cheap filming permits (sometimes free).

The big productions are great. Everyone gets paid, and everyone gets a lunch. Even extras get a lunch.

B5ofTKU.jpg