Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Cyoti : (01 July 2020 - 12:51 PM)

We can deport Yogi back to Canada now.

@  Sabrblade : (01 July 2020 - 12:50 PM)

Jellystone National Pawk. A westful wetweat.

@  Rycochet : (01 July 2020 - 12:47 PM)

Jellystone. We're going to be plunged into a decade of poor animation. Fortunately we've been led by bad cartoon characters for years so we won't notice much difference.

@  Maximus Ambus : (01 July 2020 - 06:19 AM)

what next? YELLOWSTONE?

@  Nevermore : (01 July 2020 - 05:46 AM)

Thanks, dead person.

@  Bass X0 : (01 July 2020 - 05:06 AM)

congratulations to all survivors of the first half of 2020.

@  wonko the sane? : (30 June 2020 - 10:21 PM)

21 for me, but after numerous repetitions I got it down to 17 and a half.

@  TheMightyMol... : (30 June 2020 - 06:16 PM)

I transform in six steps from human to human sitting on my ass at the computer and back again!

@  -LittleAutob... : (30 June 2020 - 05:55 PM)

x-x when in vehicle mode we can travel much F A R T H E R-

@  wonko the sane? : (30 June 2020 - 05:52 PM)

Because despite the fact that we can travel around the world in the time it takes to get a good nights sleep and a couple of meals: people rarely wander more than 25 miles away from home for the duration of their lives.

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 05:49 PM)

I don't know how many days that trip takes - especially while sightseeing - but explaining they're 3936 kilometers (2445 miles) apart gives an idea, paradoxically because it is too large to easily picture.

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 05:44 PM)

Aye.  When I catch lay people discussing miles and not how long the trip takes, it is in an attempt to stress how far away something is... like NYC to LA.

@  ▲ndrusi : (30 June 2020 - 01:20 PM)

But I can imagine 45 *minutes* easily.

@  ▲ndrusi : (30 June 2020 - 01:20 PM)

I can imagine a mile, it's a distance I've run. I can't really imagine 45 miles.

@  ▲ndrusi : (30 June 2020 - 01:19 PM)

I think there's also an element of the thing where things that are much bigger than us all blur together.

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 11:49 AM)

If you're not, then you're more concerned with how long it takes.  Actual distance doesn't tell you that very well.  Besides traffic and road conditions, you'll need to know what kind of driving (city/interstate/rural/etc.).

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 11:47 AM)

Distance matters if you're being paid by the mile.

@  TM2-Megatron : (30 June 2020 - 11:44 AM)

Canadians are the same way, for the most part. If you're driving somewhere far, especially, it helps you plan out the day more than a distance in KM would.

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 11:42 AM)

We use the time it takes to get someplace because that is what is relevant to us.

@  TheMightyMol... : (30 June 2020 - 10:55 AM)

Because even we can't figure out miles half the time.

@  Paladin : (30 June 2020 - 09:54 AM)

it's a big country with a lot of empty space. between our citizens' ears.

@  Bass X0 : (30 June 2020 - 09:52 AM)

Why do most Americans measure distance by hours of driving?

@  TM2-Megatron : (29 June 2020 - 07:26 PM)

And as a result the world's lone blu-ray release of the film, an Australian disc that came out 7 years ago, now goes for hundreds of dollars on eBay. Thanks Disney.

@  TM2-Megatron : (29 June 2020 - 06:21 PM)

Well, they censored Daryl Hannah's butt in Splash :rolleyes

@  Paladin : (29 June 2020 - 05:43 PM)

maybe New Mutants is too bad even for D+.

@  Steevy Maximus : (29 June 2020 - 05:00 PM)

X-Men films are coming to Disney+ next month. But will they censor Hugh Jackman's butt?

@  -LittleAutob... : (29 June 2020 - 12:44 PM)

Pft.

@  TheMightyMol... : (29 June 2020 - 11:59 AM)

Behold! Night Strike Galvatron!

@  Bass X0 : (29 June 2020 - 09:53 AM)

I will grant you a recolored body, and recolored troops to command.

@  Cybersnark : (29 June 2020 - 09:47 AM)

I don't want to be reissued. This body sucks, I wanna be updated.

@  Nevermore : (29 June 2020 - 09:43 AM)

I definitely don't intend to be reissued. Nobody would buy me.

@  Bass X0 : (29 June 2020 - 08:31 AM)

will anybody else attempt to be reissued?

@  wonko the sane? : (29 June 2020 - 07:51 AM)

*Gasp* Decepticons re-writing history to serve their own needs?!?!

@  Nevermore : (29 June 2020 - 05:48 AM)

The whole point of the DJD is that they're fanatical Megatron fanboys (especially Tarn) to the point of having their own headcanon taking priority of the actual canon, simply speaking.

@  TheMightyMol... : (29 June 2020 - 04:01 AM)

They didn't know the war was over until later. And then they denied it anyway.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (28 June 2020 - 10:47 PM)

"He's comin' right for us!"

@  Telly : (28 June 2020 - 08:40 PM)

was that even still in effect once the war ended?

@  TheMightyMol... : (28 June 2020 - 06:51 PM)

According to Roberts, soldiers can ignore the order to spare Whirl if he's directly threatening them. But mostly the DJD were out of their heads on Nuke and not really caring much at the time.

@  Xaaron : (28 June 2020 - 06:41 PM)

Also, they were hopped up on goofballs at the time.

@  wonko the sane? : (28 June 2020 - 06:06 PM)

Cause it was whirl. He opened his (non-existant.) gob at the just the right time to piss somebody off. Or, so I assume.

@  Maximus Ambus : (28 June 2020 - 06:00 PM)

If Whirl was off limits why did the DJD kill him?

@  TM2-Megatron : (27 June 2020 - 05:57 PM)

That sounds about right. I actually didn't get into it until the IQ expansion came out (which saved me a bit of expense)

@  Otaku : (27 June 2020 - 05:55 PM)

Weird question (and sorry for so many shouts): did Overpower really release in August of '95?  I could have sworn I attempted to play it with a classmate who shouldn't have been a classmate by that point.

@  Otaku : (27 June 2020 - 05:52 PM)

So... I don't have all my cards still somewhere. XP I still play Pokémon via the PTCGO, and I've been doing Card of the Days over on Pojo (on and off) since 2013.

@  Otaku : (27 June 2020 - 05:51 PM)

For both financial, personal, and practical reasons, all my collectibles had to go about 10 years ago: action figures, comic books, card games, RPG books, video games.

@  TM2-Megatron : (27 June 2020 - 05:48 PM)

I've still got all my cards, somewhere; I had a pretty decent collection. Still have the Japanese Digimon CCG, too. Glad I never got into Magic; way too pricey

@  Otaku : (27 June 2020 - 05:36 PM)

Technically, Overpower was my first TCG... except I never, ever learned how to play it, or understood that booster packs contained different cards than the Starter Decks.

@  Otaku : (27 June 2020 - 05:35 PM)

Can't forget what you didn't know in the first place.

@  Patch : (27 June 2020 - 05:28 PM)

Ah yes, Overpower. Who could forget the expansion where they added a new stat and you had to re-collect your heroes all over again.

@  TheMightyMol... : (27 June 2020 - 04:20 PM)

Counterpoint, when was the last time you spent money on Overpower?

Photo

Iron Man 3 Post-Game Show

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
553 replies to this topic

#541 Ironbite

Ironbite

REJOICE! THE KING OF TIME HAS ARRIVED!

• Supporter
  • 28917 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:08 AM

Who said he did all that? Dude can build new armors as needed.

Ironbite-seriously blowing them up was just a clean slate type thing.

xC9l3eY.gif

#542 Zodberg

Zodberg

The doctor is in.

• Citizen
  • 15546 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:06 AM

"Mandarin was really the mastermind" theories is the new "Coulson Lives" or "Loki got what he wanted."
Woooo!

#543 Undead Scottsman

Undead Scottsman

THANOSCOPTER

• Citizen
  • 10542 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:03 AM

QUOTE(Zodberg @ May 14 2013, 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Mandarin was really the mastermind" theories is the new "Coulson Lives" or "Loki got what he wanted."

Err.. Coulson
HIGHLIGHT to view:
Does live. Like he's the lead in the upcoming Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. tv show.

MSzBav1.jpg

#544 BlitzwingHaz

BlitzwingHaz

"Wooo! I'm freaking out!"

• Citizen
  • 16324 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:13 AM

QUOTE(spikeriley @ May 14 2013, 07:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Remember, boys and girls, don't be a Dimwit.

icon-fire.gif

And yeh so stupid

#545 Wildwade

Wildwade

No, no. Finish sounding dumb, I'll wait.

• Citizen
  • 2763 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:37 AM

I just took the end as another of Tony's grand impulse gestures that may or may not work out for him in the end, like announcing to the press he's Iron Man or calling the Mandarin out.

Plus...if he's really in danger again, he'll just make another suit.

It's not like Batman, where quitting is some super-pretentious "meaningful" thing. Tony can drop Iron Man in an instant and pick it back up in the next instant.

#546 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.

• Citizen
  • 9059 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:26 PM

This was inevitable:

#547 (Deactivated) BB Shockwave

(Deactivated) BB Shockwave
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:35 AM

QUOTE(Rust @ May 12 2013, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(BB Shockwave @ May 12 2013, 11:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I gotta say, when he stumbles to mention memorable Iron Man arch-nemeses other than the Mandarin? I can understand him... I'd be hard-pressed to name 3.

Titanium Man
Obidiah Stane
The Spymaster

Wasn't hard.

-I cannot really call a guy who died after his first and only battle with Iron Man an arch-nemesis-style villain. Stane is awesome, and I loved him in the first movie too, but... he is no Joker or Lex Luthor. He was there for a while, died, and unlike many supervillains, never came back.
-Titanium Man is just... a guy in a suit. (In fact, he was a LOTS of different guys using the same suit over the years). And so is Crimson Dynamo, who is a RUSSIAN guy in a suit. And Firepower... And the second Whiplash... you see my problem? Not to mention the many one-shot armored enemies who often just just use one of Tony's own armor designs against him. They are all kinda interchangeable and forgettable.
-Spymaster... I am ashamed to admit I never heard of him. In my defense, I mostly know Iron Man from Avengers comics... never was a big reader of his individual stuff.

I'd love to name Dreadknight as a memorable Iron Man villain because I absolutely LOVE his design (he looks like he just arrived from Snake Mountain) and his personality too, but he is neither a big challenge to defeat, nor is used often. Still, I'd love to see him on the big screen someday (maybe when they finally make an Avengers movie with an anti-Avenger villain alliance), maybe re-invented with origins from one of the Yggdrassil realms, which would explain his bat-winged monster horse. icon-hotrod.gif

On the subject of Tony's rogue's gallery - was Modok really "his" villain? He started out in Captain America, and later simply became an enemy to everyone and their aunt's daughter's old roommate. He is sort of a nemesis-for-hire, as if he was the stand-in-guy in the Guild of Calamitous Intent. icon-hotrod.gif

QUOTE(Undead Scottsman @ May 15 2013, 08:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Zodberg @ May 14 2013, 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Err.. Coulson
HIGHLIGHT to view:
Does live. Like he's the lead in the upcoming Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. tv show.

Umm, how? Did they reboot him with the Cosmic Cube, or what?!?

Also, I sure hope David Hasselhoff gets a cameo in that series. icon-hotrod.gif

Edited by BB Shockwave, 16 May 2013 - 09:05 AM.

#548 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

Sometimes bad ponies make the best good ponies!

• Supporter
  • 6393 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:48 AM

QUOTE(BB Shockwave @ May 16 2013, 09:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Umm, how? Did they reboot him with the Cosmic Cube, or what?!?

There are 5 ways he survives.

1) The easiest, he didn't die. We never see him die, just dying. We're told he died by Fury, after a long scene establishing how fury is the ultimate liar. We then learn that he's lying in the scene when he tells the Avengers Couslon died (the cards).

2) LMD - Life model decoy...robot duplicates. Tony mentions LMD's earlier in the film. LMD's are standard issue for SHIELD. Problem with this, though, is Fury later bemoans Coulson's loss ("I just lost my one good eye") which if it's an LMD that dies, Fury wouldn't have that scene..(Though if real Coulson is off protecting Jane Foster during it...) Also, TV Coulson could be a LMD.

3) He's tabbed with a magic weapon...who knows what that really does.

4) Project: Vision. Back to the "lost my one good eye" comment, Coulson's brain patterns are put into an android body, creating the MCU's Vision.

5) "Didn't you die?" "I got better"

#549 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 47833 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:47 PM

QUOTE(BB Shockwave @ May 16 2013, 08:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
-I cannot really call a guy who died after his first and only battle with Iron Man an arch-nemesis-style villain. Stane is awesome, and I loved him in the first movie too, but... he is no Joker or Lex Luthor. He was there for a while, died, and unlike many supervillains, never came back.

. . .

I'm presuming you are only familiar with Obadiah Stane via the Iron Man Movie.

In the comics, Obadiah Stane was Tony's constant bane and most hated enemy for three years - 37 Issues. No, he isn't a Lex Luthor or a Joker, but what makes his significant is for that three year period he was the nemesis of Tony Stark. Barely an issue in that 37 book run goes by without Obadiah's hand in the pie, making his presence a lot more involved.

Plus, the fact Obadiah is the one who caused Tony's disastrous relapse into Alcoholism (By literally manipulating Tony to fall in love only for the woman in question to reject him in the harshest possible terms) and literally bought his company out from under him. Stark Industries became Stane Industries, and Tony became a reclusive bum living on the street. It was so sudden a shift in the status quo that Jim Rhodes had to don the Iron Man suit and stage a break out of Tony's other armors to keep Stane from acquiring them. And it literally was a last minute break out, since Stane's techs were at the doors to the armory, cutting through the door when Rhodes jury rigged a control unit to fly the armors away and throw them into the sea (Which leads into the next issue where Rhodes has to go and prevent a group of renegade Atlantians from using the armors against Namor and his people).

Tony eventually recovers (Thanks in part to a fellow alcoholic vagrant named Gertl Aders, who dies in childbirth), and tries to start over with a new company. Stane, fundamentally obsessed with "beating" Tony, destroys the new company outright and murders one of Tony's business partners - along with mind swapping an ex-girlfriend to try a more fatal version of his first play on Tony - as well as abducting many of Tony's friends and colleagues to use as collateral. It was this last move that drove Tony into open conflict with Stane which resulted in Stane's suicide (As he could not stand the thought of "losing the game".)

That was not the end, though. Stane's influence would be felt for years to come, with Tony having to deal with the fallout of buying his company back from Stane (Which is a dodgy process when your professional bodyguard got into a property destroying boxing match with the last CEO), and putting a lid on everything Stane did in Tony's absence (S.H.I.E.L.D. actually helped Stane take over after Tony's relapse in exchange for Tony's tech which Tony then had to try to get back from S.H.I.E.L.D.). The Iron Monger Armor also was seen again, including a warehouse mass producing the suit run by ex-employees that had been loyal to Stane.

In recent years, Stane's shade has risen again, this time in the form of his son - Ezekiel Stane - who is in many ways far smarter then Tony is.

-Titanium Man is just... a guy in a suit. (In fact, he was a LOTS of different guys using the same suit over the years). And so is Crimson Dynamo, who is a RUSSIAN guy in a suit. And Firepower... And the second Whiplash... you see my problem? Not to mention the many one-shot armored enemies who often just just use one of Tony's own armor designs against him. They are all kinda interchangeable and forgettable.

Dude...Titanium Man was the Russian Guy in the Suit during the Cold War era. Yes, his MO has stalled out with the collapse of the Soviet Union (He's now a Mercenary for Hire and Russian Patriot then straight up villain), but you have to remember that this guy was the face of the Soviets during the Cold War (Crimson Dynamo predates him in the comics, but Dynamo never caught on like Titanium Man did). The fact it was the murder of a Titanium Man during the Armor Wars that caused the world to turn against Iron Man (And the US Government to commission the construction of the Firepower Suit)...makes him pretty dang important in the mythos. They may be "Guys in Suits", but unlike many rogue galleries those suits exist for a reason. It was the result of Titanium Man's death that Firepower was created. The death of another Titanium Man was the cause for the fracturing of the relationship between Iron Man and the Crimson Dynamo (The Dynamo at the time was out with a bum leg so Tony was piloting the suit as a favor, when Dynamo took control of the suit and executed the first (?) Titanium Man).

-Spymaster... I am ashamed to admit I never heard of him. In my defense, I mostly know Iron Man from Avengers comics... never was a big reader of his individual stuff.

Spymaster's original incarnation I was never very impressed with, and his third incarnation was a good attempt but didn't pan out so well (They went a Riddler route with him). I'm thinking of the Spymaster's second incarnation - trained by Taskmaster and appointed with a "Espionage Elite" Cell of operatives that are - in fact - all the people he beat to become the Spymaster. They worked from the shadows and through proxies and managed to bug the office of Stark Solutions and, by extension, learn of Tony's identity as Iron Man (Before Tony decided to simply go public with his dual identity). To me, that was the most successful incarnation because he won against Tony. Tony learned of the security breech and before he could investigate...the Espionage Elite jumped him, separated him from his armor, and delivered him a beating that left him barely alive, much less functional and able to use his suit (He was actually confined to a wheel chair for several issues after this).

#550 Cat

Cat
  • Retired Staff
  • 11612 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:06 PM

I have a digital UltraViolet copy of Iron Man Rise Of Technovore if anyone wants it. It's usable by anyone in North America.

I haven't watched it yet, so don't know if it's any good. But it'll fill that Iron Man high for now.

#551 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

• Supporter
  • 6393 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:35 PM

QUOTE(Rust @ May 16 2013, 05:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dude...Titanium Man was the Russian Guy in the Suit during the Cold War era. Yes, his MO has stalled out with the collapse of the Soviet Union (He's now a Mercenary for Hire and Russian Patriot then straight up villain), but you have to remember that this guy was the face of the Soviets during the Cold War (Crimson Dynamo predates him in the comics, but Dynamo never caught on like Titanium Man did).

But the Dynamo can come along for the ride.

Let's be fair, Titanium Man's success is all thanks to Paul McCartney.

QUOTE(Rust @ May 16 2013, 05:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The fact it was the murder of a Titanium Man during the Armor Wars that caused the world to turn against Iron Man (And the US Government to commission the construction of the Firepower Suit)...

Really was more manslaughter

QUOTE(Cat @ May 16 2013, 06:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a digital UltraViolet copy of Iron Man Rise Of Technovore if anyone wants it. It's usable by anyone in North America.

I haven't watched it yet, so don't know if it's any good. But it'll fill that Iron Man high for now.

Yeah...there's a thread about this one if you're curious about that....

#552 (Deactivated) BB Shockwave

• Guests

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:10 AM

Rust - thanks for the info. I read up on Stane, but my only sources are the regular and Marvel Wikis, and apparently... they are quite hole-y, as in neglecting how long Stane has been around. I often wonder how come us TF fans have a much better wiki than the DC or Marvel comics... Given how many more fans those companies have.

#553 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

• Supporter
  • 6393 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE(BB Shockwave @ May 29 2013, 06:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
. I often wonder how come us TF fans have a much better wiki than the DC or Marvel comics... Given how many more fans those companies have.

Because, and I say this as someone who's been friends with Dvandom for 20 years, you people are insane.

#554 (Deactivated) BB Shockwave

• Guests

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:10 AM

Well, there is that, sure. icon-fire.gif (Considering I just gave out 250$+shipping on the Botcon Stunticons, I cannot really argue with this...)