Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  NotVeryKnightly : (20 January 2018 - 02:20 AM)

You just did.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 January 2018 - 02:18 AM)

Can I just say that right now... I hate the USA?

@  NotVeryKnightly : (20 January 2018 - 01:34 AM)

There are languages where the days are named for numbers and Sunday is "one". Like Arabic.

@  Pennpenn : (20 January 2018 - 01:31 AM)

Isn't it sort of a religious thing for Sunday to be the start of the week but most people just go with the first day they go to work for the week?

@  unitremover : (20 January 2018 - 01:02 AM)

I feel like I've known plenty of Americans who'd say Monday is the first day of the week.

@  Pennpenn : (20 January 2018 - 12:57 AM)

Personally Monday will always be the first day of the week for me. The notion that Sunday is somehow the first day of the week seems completely nonsensical to me.

@  Pennpenn : (20 January 2018 - 12:57 AM)

I'm fairly sure it is in Australia, but that tends to get blurred because of US influence.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (20 January 2018 - 12:19 AM)

(It's Sunday here in the U.S.)

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (20 January 2018 - 12:18 AM)

Anyone here live in a country where Monday is considered the first day of the week?

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (19 January 2018 - 08:40 PM)

Maybe?

@  Patchouli Kn... : (19 January 2018 - 08:38 PM)

But do they search barf?

@  BlackMax : (19 January 2018 - 08:38 PM)

Under water, the fish don't stink.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (19 January 2018 - 07:42 PM)

I read that at first as "Everyone is a fish...."

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 January 2018 - 06:08 PM)

Everyone has a fetish, I guess.

@  BlackMax : (19 January 2018 - 05:56 PM)

I parsed it as "search barf" at first.

@  Nevermore : (19 January 2018 - 05:05 PM)

Robowang nude hiden cam photos

@  Robowang : (19 January 2018 - 02:54 PM)

Oh, hey, that's not the search bar! Whoops.

@  Robowang : (19 January 2018 - 12:48 PM)

reflector camera mode

@  MEDdMI : (19 January 2018 - 12:14 PM)

But did you get a Snowbombcyclopsragnarokdoomstorm like the US NE got last week?

@  Nevermore : (19 January 2018 - 11:40 AM)

Netherlands? We got one hell of a storm here in Germany the other day too.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (19 January 2018 - 01:59 AM)

When that happens in Cocoa Beach there's always someone getting out their surfboard.

@  CORVUS : (19 January 2018 - 12:04 AM)

Damn!

@  Telly : (18 January 2018 - 10:29 PM)

holy hug

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (18 January 2018 - 06:27 PM)

Goddamn look what happened to the Dutch this week.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (18 January 2018 - 06:27 PM)

https://twitter.com/dwnews/status/954066379610628097

@  Locoman : (18 January 2018 - 03:43 PM)

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand brick and mortar.

@  siccoyote : (18 January 2018 - 04:31 AM)

Who sings the first part of the GIJoe The Movie theme song? (Cobra) Sounds so familiar.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 January 2018 - 10:46 PM)

Also true.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (17 January 2018 - 10:40 PM)

I hate brick and mortar stores around here.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 January 2018 - 10:38 PM)

But I like the feel of the brick and mortar search a bit more. And I can see inside packages at brick and mortar. True, Amazon has a good return policy, but I like buying once and settling.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 January 2018 - 10:37 PM)

I suppose I could save more if I bought more often from Amazon.

@  wonko the sane? : (17 January 2018 - 10:36 PM)

Closest I got to "free" was 30% off warpath, which just about lined him up to the canadian price had he ever shown up around me. The pile of loot saved me a pile, but it was still pricy.

@  Shrug : (17 January 2018 - 09:34 PM)

Yeah, I purposefully waited on them because I knew they'd be perfect "add onto orders to get free shipping" fodder. Already gotten two that way. Technically "free" and I barely had to wait.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 January 2018 - 09:21 PM)

That's how I feel about Prime Masters. Getting back into collecting last year taught me to be patient, which grants rewards most of the time.

@  Shrug : (17 January 2018 - 09:18 PM)

I want Starscream so hard after seeing him in person, but since he's the one being left behind by every other collector in my area, I feel like I can wait for a sale.

@  wonko the sane? : (17 January 2018 - 09:09 PM)

I mean: I maybe woulda jumped on starscream if I found a sale or something, but it wasn't a priority.

@  wonko the sane? : (17 January 2018 - 09:08 PM)

I only wanted the dinobots (cause... volcanicus.) but got saddled with three I didn't want due to the bundling. I'd still be waiting to order if I had waited on individual figures.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (17 January 2018 - 08:27 PM)

Ahh.. I just ordered the whole case cause I wanted too. :)

@  wonko the sane? : (17 January 2018 - 06:49 PM)

Mostly PotP dinobots. Plus some stuff I couldn't opt out of to get those dinobots. And CW warpath... cause he was on sale.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (17 January 2018 - 04:54 PM)

What ya getting?

@  wonko the sane? : (17 January 2018 - 04:38 PM)

Yay! My package from BBTS is in canada! I might even get it this week!

@  Benbot : (17 January 2018 - 02:04 PM)

I need a laptop more than a new desktop

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (17 January 2018 - 01:18 PM)

Buying a pre-built computer you should be okay.. It's just the individual parts that jumped huge in price.

@  Paladin : (17 January 2018 - 01:14 PM)

well all the idiots who invested in "bitcoin" will be selling theirs en masse to make ends meet so you might be able to find something cheap if you watch auctions.

@  Benbot : (17 January 2018 - 12:59 PM)

Is now a good time to buy a computer? Or should I wait?

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (17 January 2018 - 12:01 PM)

I pointed out that I'm on disabilty.. I don't have to pretend to be an adult anymore. ;D

@  MEDdMI : (17 January 2018 - 11:25 AM)

Also Bayonetta 3.

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 January 2018 - 10:55 AM)

Nintendo also announced Dark Souls for the Switch, so those people should shut up.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (17 January 2018 - 10:51 AM)

Apparently people are freaking out that Nintendo announced something for kids and kids at heart. And people are absolutely freaking out about it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 January 2018 - 10:23 AM)

...what?

Photo
- - - - -

Prime vs Animated

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
225 replies to this topic

#161 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 4454 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:24 AM

I can?t believe people actually prefer Animated over Prime. To me, Animated always seemed like a program for kindergarteners. Bumblebee learns a valuable lesson! and lame human villains dominated the show. The characters acted more like whiny, spoiled children than warriors or technicians or whatever they were supposed to be. I despised the design aesthetic of super simplicity and bizarre exaggerated proportions. I can?t give credit to the writing everyone is praising because it?s full of terrible overplayed stereotypes, awful clich?s, and Sari?s fixes-everything key. I know it is a cartoon, but its ?cartooniness? didn?t fit the Transformers mythos at all. Animated had its moments, and I didn?t hate it, but I was glad when it died and was buried.

#162 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 40111 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:29 AM

Tell us then, what do you think of Rescue Bots?

(This is an honest question, I'm not being mean or snarky.)

Edited by NightViper, 10 May 2012 - 10:29 AM.

#163 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 10241 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:43 AM

QUOTE(Sprocket @ May 9 2012, 11:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Master Fwiffo @ May 9 2012, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There's a Lovecraft Anime? Like, actual Cthulhu and Shoggoths and stuff? If so... TELL ME MORE.

Are you kidding? Lovecraft and Japan go back decades. Admittedly, it's not exactly super-mainstream, but there's stuff out there!

Hell, Lovecraft pretty much invented tentacle rape. icon-arcee.gif

QUOTE(Sharpfinger @ May 10 2012, 12:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Some people like dark tones and slow pacing shows. For those people Prime is an amazing show.

Actually, as one of those people who love slow-burning "conspiracy" stories, I think the problem with Prime is that it's trying to be both a slow-burn serial and an episodic action-show --and thus failing at both. It ends up looking more like what an action-show writer thinks a slow-burn series looks like (using the tropes without really understanding the underlying principles).

#164 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

Commissions! cheetimus@cheetimus.com

• Retired Staff
  • 48474 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:01 AM

QUOTE(NightViper @ May 10 2012, 11:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tell us then, what do you think of Rescue Bots?

Clearly this show is meant to be held to the bellies of pregnant women.
24674394486_13a96b16e0_o.jpg

#165 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 17869 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:01 AM

QUOTE(Doc Thunderhead @ May 10 2012, 10:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
gutspa

chutzpa maybe?

Anyway - good points. icon-hotrod.gif

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#166 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

• Retired Staff
  • 48474 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:03 AM

Seriously, a show where a character has physical and mental scars due to the war he's seen. He has flashbacks in the midst of battle over the patient he couldn't save and even had to mind wipe.

That alone set a pretty high bar yet Animated is still considered a children's show by some? I really think people just can't get past the art style.

#167 Walky

Walky

A bigger physique than a gorilla captain

• Citizen
  • 37720 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:03 AM

QUOTE(LV! @ May 10 2012, 09:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Kalidor @ May 10 2012, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
people thought it looked weird because it was far less detailed and looked nothing like past action cartoons

[citation needed]

As always in cases like this, any "evidence" is going to be anecdotal at best, but I can tell you that when BTAS came out and I was in love with it, the majority of my friends and classmates thought it looked weird and stupid and should have looked more like the totally rad comic-book-detailed Fox X-Men.

I second this. BTAS was a *groundbreaking* and *daring* art style. It didn't look like anything else that had been animated in decades. Why? Because it had the balls to render its characters in half the lines that folks were used to. And at first, everyone was aghast. Fans complained that it wasn't what cartoons should look like, that Batman should be "realistic," and that the lack of lines made it look like a dumb kiddie cartoon. Executive producers had the same complaints, and it was an uphill battle to implement! Some fans complained that it looked "too anime," because anything that doesn't look like Jonny Quest is "anime."

Of course, the reason Bruce Timm designed the show this way was so it would look good animated. Lots of lines in your character models makes it harder to animate so it looks good. The more details and curves and greebles, the grosser it's going to look when animated on an average TV animation budget. (See Fox X-Men.) Timm cut his chops drawing He-Man and G.I. Joe, and he thought it was ridiculous how anti-animation those designs were. And so as soon as he got control of a cartoon, and one on a subject he cared about, he pushed for a revolutionary look.

And it worked.

And when he got to redesign Batman again a few years later, he pushed a bit more.

Citations: The "Batman Animated" art book and "Modern Masters: Bruce Timm."

#168 Tm_Silverclaw

Tm_Silverclaw
  • Citizen
  • 10237 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:06 AM

QUOTE(Cheetimus Primal @ May 10 2012, 12:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seriously, a show where a character has physical and mental scars due to the war he's seen. He has flashbacks in the midst of battle over the patient he couldn't save and even had to mind wipe.

Seriously, a show where a character has mental scars due to the war she's seen. She has flashbacks in the midst of battle over the Partners she couldn't save.

Yeah.. Not getting very far with that one.

Edited by Tm_Silverclaw, 10 May 2012 - 11:06 AM.

#169 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

• Retired Staff
  • 48474 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:08 AM

QUOTE(Tm_Silverclaw @ May 10 2012, 12:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Seriously, a show where a character has mental scars due to the war she's seen. She has flashbacks in the midst of battle over the Partners she couldn't save.

With what one? I wasn't comparing the two, I was just defending Animated.

What, now we have to choose sides in this thread?

Because I CLEARLY hate prime SOOOO much. *looks at his recent history of sigs*

Edited by Cheetimus Primal, 10 May 2012 - 11:10 AM.

#170 Tm_Silverclaw

Tm_Silverclaw
  • Citizen
  • 10237 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:20 AM

QUOTE(Cheetimus Primal @ May 10 2012, 12:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Tm_Silverclaw @ May 10 2012, 12:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With what one? I wasn't comparing the two, I was just defending Animated.

What, now we have to choose sides in this thread?

Because I CLEARLY hate prime SOOOO much. *looks at his recent history of sigs*

Actually I wasn't paying attention and thought the quote was from someone else.... x.x;

#171 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

• Retired Staff
  • 48474 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:22 AM

Well that makes more sense icon-waspy.gif
STEP UP YOUR GAME, SON

#172 Tm_Silverclaw

Tm_Silverclaw
  • Citizen
  • 10237 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:24 AM

I don't want to! I'm tired.. I worked all night, and I still haven't found new toys!

#173 2018

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42368 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:25 AM

Pretty sure "character has dark past/skeletons in closet" is pretty stock standard.

PM me if you're bored!

#174 Vestras

Vestras

Stone by Day, Friendship by Night

• Supporter
  • 8459 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:34 AM

Animated's potential was seen, and to an extent, explored especially in the 3rd season. Prime thus far has had a few great fights, and some truly good characters here and there, but a lot of it feels VERY same-y. Plots blur together, not much yet to really "define" the season (not necessary per-se, but it certainly helps) and so on.

Prime has a lot of potential, but the budgetary limitations of CG will never hit certain buttons that animated by virtue of being hand drawn was able to achieve.
Clearing out some old TFs and Mugenbine in my BST Thread. You know you want some of these.

#175 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

• Retired Staff
  • 48474 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:37 AM

QUOTE(Hora Hora @ May 10 2012, 12:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pretty sure "character has dark past/skeletons in closet" is pretty stock standard.

For someone that gets sick of people using broad brush tactics you sure do like to trot them out.
Who effing cares if it's been done before. EVERYTHING has been done before.
But have war flash backs as detailed and emotional as these been done in TF animation before? No. And that's not even the point I was making so what the hell?!

Calling it a show for only made for toddlers is ignoring the much more mature themes that ran through that show on a regular basis. That's the point I was making. Period.

#176 2018

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42368 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:13 PM

For someone that gets sick of people using broad brush tactics you sure do like to trot them out.

Hey hey, I was just pointing something out!

Who effing cares if it's been done before. EVERYTHING has been done before.

Yes. So. It's not anything new or groundbreaking. It comes with the territory, said territory being children's programming. I guess if you mean Transformers, it has been explored before there too:

But have war flash backs as detailed and emotional as these been done in TF animation before? No. And that's not even the point I was making so what the hell?!

I dunno, Omega Supreme having his only friends brainwashed permanently and then they destroy his home before tricking him and scarring him for good was pretty heartbreaking. Poor big lug.

Calling it a show for only made for toddlers is ignoring the much more mature themes that ran through that show on a regular basis. That's the point I was making. Period.

Okay. I agree with you on the toddler stuff.

But, it's still a common theme in children's programming. It's not that animated or prime are bad, it's just that Transformers in general has never really had brilliant storytelling.

PM me if you're bored!

#177 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 17725 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE(Hora Hora @ May 11 2012, 12:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I dunno, Omega Supreme having his only friends brainwashed permanently and then they destroy his home before tricking him and scarring him for good was pretty heartbreaking. Poor big lug.

It was a Constructicon origin story, so it might not have actually happened! icon-fire.gif icon-blitz.gif

...okay, yeah it was one of the emotionally stronger things from the G1 'toon. But well, Constructicons...

#178 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

• Retired Staff
  • 48474 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:19 PM

You can say it has been done before but, as I said, not with the same emotional weight. G1 was fluff as it was meant to be. Ratchet's issues were pretty damn severe and they above and beyond to show that. Now Prime is picking up the ball and doing the same with Arcee.

TF shows got pretty damn heavy with the Beast series and then we lost that for a long time. Now it's back and it started with Animated.

#179 2018

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42368 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:23 PM

TF shows got pretty damn heavy with the Beast series and then we lost that for a long time. Now it's back and it started with Animated.

Hot Shot: Well, I've been better but I'll make it.

Lori: All right, Hot Shot! That's what we like to hear!

Coby: That's Hot Shot for ya! He never gives up, no matter what!

Hot Shot: Got that right. But I do have a question: where are we, anyway? And why is it so dark in here?

Coby: ... I-it's your eyes, Hot Shot.

Lori: They suffered some damage.

Hot Shot: Oh, that's no big deal. I'll just fire up my engine and run a repair program to fix the problem. *revs, fails* That's funny, I can't seem to get it going.

PM me if you're bored!

#180 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 34085 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:26 PM

Here we go...

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/