Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (18 November 2017 - 08:37 AM)

You won't be at school or work anymore... so mitigated success.

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 November 2017 - 05:21 PM)

Just don't try to plug yourself into an outlet. It won't end well.

@  Bass X0 : (17 November 2017 - 04:57 PM)

Trying to stay awake at work or school is a lot like using your controller when it's on low battery

@  Pennpenn : (17 November 2017 - 10:31 AM)

If you're used to doing it with tabs, that makes sense. It doesn't feel weird for me.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (17 November 2017 - 10:28 AM)

Also, it just feels weird if switching between webpages uses the same actions as switching between programs.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (17 November 2017 - 10:21 AM)

I switch between different things on the browser and click on various plugins and stuff far more often than switching from program to program.

@  Pennpenn : (17 November 2017 - 10:19 AM)

Yeah I'm mostly just venting from frustration rather than trying to convince anyone, though @NotVeryNightly I will point out that the windows for the other programs I'm running are at the bottom of the screen as well.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (17 November 2017 - 10:09 AM)

Tabs are on the top, near the address bar, browser tools, plugins and whatnot so the cursor will be there frequently anyway. Switching windows would require going down the screen.

@  Shrug : (17 November 2017 - 10:03 AM)

I mean, you do you. No bigs. You've just got a fairly unique stance that surprised me.

@  Shrug : (17 November 2017 - 09:54 AM)

I haven't seen words on the bottom bar of the screen since XP.

@  Pennpenn : (17 November 2017 - 09:13 AM)

All of which is put on the point that I don't care if people want to use tabs, I just want the option to not have them present for me on my browser.

@  Pennpenn : (17 November 2017 - 09:12 AM)

@Shrug- A quick glance at the bottom of the screen shows me what is open and where. Load times are basically so trivial that the load indicator on a tab is something I didn't notice until you mentioned it. The "which instance is playing noise" is a fair point but has basically only really been approaching meaningful for me maybe twice in all the time tabs have existed.

@  Pennpenn : (17 November 2017 - 09:07 AM)

@NotveryKnightly- I have never encountered a situation where that is true, especially given that tabs are on the other side of the screen to the other things I'm switching through.

@  Pennpenn : (17 November 2017 - 09:06 AM)

@ Nevermore- The windows at the bottom have the names of the websites on them, presuming you don't collapse them.

@  Shrug : (17 November 2017 - 08:08 AM)

Geez, this is reminding me of the awful pre-tab days.

@  Shrug : (17 November 2017 - 08:07 AM)

I can look at the tab to see if it hasn't finished loading yet. Now you can see which tab is playing sound, so no need to hunt through windows to find a video ad that started playing.

@  Shrug : (17 November 2017 - 08:07 AM)

And a quick glance lets me know whats open and where. No clicking multiple windows hunting for something. No waiting for some window preview to pop up (which wasn't available when tabs first started.)

@  NotVeryKnightly : (17 November 2017 - 06:03 AM)

Switching between tabs is way quicker than between windows.

@  Nevermore : (17 November 2017 - 04:09 AM)

It's like having a clear structore with sub-directores, instead of just having all files on your computer stored in one giant directory.

@  Nevermore : (17 November 2017 - 04:08 AM)

This way, I can switch between windows and then select the tab, instead of always trying to remember which window is for which website.

@  Nevermore : (17 November 2017 - 04:07 AM)

I find one browser window with multiple tabs a lot easier to handle alongside other windows than multiple browser windows alongside other windows.

@  Nevermore : (17 November 2017 - 04:06 AM)

I find multiple tabs a lot more comfortable than multiple windows.

@  Nevermore : (17 November 2017 - 04:06 AM)

erm... no?

@  Pennpenn : (17 November 2017 - 03:26 AM)

On mobile devices and whatever I understand why tabs would be a thing, but on a full desktop browser it's just- "Hey, here's a thing that's kind of like opening a new window, but objectively worse in every practical way"

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 November 2017 - 01:41 AM)

Someone remind me again: which versions of the CW Hot Spot mold did not suffer from bad hip ratcheting?

@  BlackMax : (16 November 2017 - 06:33 PM)

Holy crap I just pushed the F11 key for the first time on a keyboard since about 1994.

@  Shrug : (16 November 2017 - 01:11 PM)

tabs being wretched bs is definitely an opinion I've never seen before

@  RC85747 : (16 November 2017 - 08:25 AM)

Vivaldi lets you hide the tab bar

@  Pennpenn : (16 November 2017 - 07:45 AM)

Yeah but that gets rid of everything else as well.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (16 November 2017 - 07:33 AM)

Hit F11 Pennpenn

@  Pennpenn : (16 November 2017 - 04:15 AM)

I get that people like tabs. Fine. Whatever. I just detest the fact that most current browsers don't let you have the option of just hiding the bar away so I don't have to even think about the wretched bullshit things.

@  Pennpenn : (16 November 2017 - 04:06 AM)

Does anyone know of a browser that doesn't force tabs on you? Just... any sodding browser that doesn't have tabs.

@  Telly : (16 November 2017 - 01:59 AM)

being mostly wrong is better than being TOTALLY wrong!

@  BlackMax : (15 November 2017 - 09:26 PM)

ALL HAIL THE BLESSED OCTOBUTT.

@  Strafe : (15 November 2017 - 08:24 PM)

I really hope so. All of my high school drawings and notes (Hand-written notes! God, I'm old.) from girls are in a chest in the attic of my parents house. I'll check when I visit!

@  MEDdMI : (15 November 2017 - 06:39 PM)

Do you still have those drawings?

@  BlackMax : (15 November 2017 - 06:31 PM)

I think lesbian ninjas is just an unmitigated good idea. *shrug*

@  Devcon : (15 November 2017 - 05:56 PM)

well, that and Balloon Doggies, Mr secretary

@  Strafe : (15 November 2017 - 04:12 PM)

It's my crowning Allspark achievement! You're welcome.

@  Strafe : (15 November 2017 - 04:05 PM)

"Someone" being me. No mystery to it, I used to draw a lot during class when I was in high school. I came up with lesbian ninjas, which were a specialized team of assassins with amazing hair and impeccable style. I scanned some of my drawings and mentioned them a few times on the ezboard 17 years ago, and people seemed to like the idea.

@  Copper Bezel : (15 November 2017 - 01:05 PM)

Thanks in any case!

@  Copper Bezel : (15 November 2017 - 01:05 PM)

Oh, wow. That is ages ago. 

@  Telly : (15 November 2017 - 01:03 PM)

ages ago meaning when the spark was still on ezboard

@  Telly : (15 November 2017 - 01:02 PM)

i think maybe it was part of a title of a movie someone posted ages ago and the "lesbian ninja" part stood out and people just latched on to it. please note this is possibly totally and completely wrong cause my memory is terrible anymore

@  Copper Bezel : (15 November 2017 - 12:11 PM)

I don't think it's a fandom thing, I think it's an Allspark thing. Or that's been my perception. Mayhem has some lesbian ninja regulars now but I think the reference is much older. = ] 

@  Robowang : (15 November 2017 - 11:02 AM)

Who knows. I always thought it was stupid.

@  RichardT1977 : (15 November 2017 - 10:31 AM)

What is this fandom's deal with lesbian ninjas? Is it some fantheory about Nightbird or something?

@  OrionPax44 : (15 November 2017 - 08:26 AM)

Huh my phone didn't even alert me for some reason. Guess it only does on the Mayhem Discord Hangouts??

@  BlackMax : (14 November 2017 - 09:41 PM)

Telly, you are FIRED as my PR agent. :D

@  Telly : (14 November 2017 - 09:05 PM)

you all dont know what you missed. there was fun. there were games. lesbian ninjas. tang and even a couple human sacrifices.

Photo
- - - - -

Prime vs Animated

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
225 replies to this topic

#141 Flashlight

Flashlight
  • Citizen
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:12 AM

I like both, but everytime I go back and watch animated I feel like im watching someones person fanon. Its just a bunch of G1 ideas kind of mixed up with questionable human interactions.

Prime isnt much better.

#142 Fishbug

Fishbug

Za Warudo!

• Citizen
  • 11701 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:35 AM

QUOTE(Razorsaw @ May 10 2012, 03:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because he has to talk about it all the time.

When the Autobots to go all psycho "DIS IS FER U, MORF!!!" whenever someone mentions Cliffjumper, yes I am expecting Dreadwing, who came to Earth solely to avenge his brother, to mention it more than once.

Bulkhead beat Starscream to death to avenge Cliffjumper. He smashed his head 'til it was nothing but an Energon stain on the floor. Sure, it turned out not to be the real deal, but he did it to avenge a guy who we know nothing about his relationship with. Were they friends? Begrudging rivals? Maybe they didn't even like eachother all too much, but it was either them or the 'cons, so they managed. No idea.

Edited by Fishbug, 10 May 2012 - 05:42 AM.

25aputg.jpg
#WHERESINJECTOR

#143 M Sipher

M Sipher

All hail Newmie.

• Citizen
  • 11923 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:40 AM

QUOTE(Fishbug @ May 10 2012, 06:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Razorsaw @ May 10 2012, 03:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because he has to talk about it all the time.

When the Autobots to go all psycho "DIS IS FER U, MORF!!!" whenever someone mentions Cliffjumper, yes I am expecting Dreadwing, who came to Earth solely to avenge his brother, to mention it more than once.

Just randomly, in the middle of other, more important things?

Especially considering that we haven't actually seen him interact with anyone but other Decepticons since his debut episode? All of twice? One instance of which he was kind of trying to keep the Decepticon warship from taking over, kind of more important?

M "Why Don't We Wait And See How He Acts Around The Group Who Actually Killed His Brother? You Know, When Said Death Is RELEVANT?" Sipher
The ISLE OF RANGOON - Advantures in Learning and Sarcasm!
Holy crap Sipher has a Tumblr apparently!
http://www.tfwiki.net - We left Wikia before it was cool to do so!

"I don't know whether it's a new thing, but it's certainly a current thing, in that it doesn't seem to matter what facts are. It used to be, everyone was entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts."
- Stephen Colbert

#144 Fishbug

Fishbug

Za Warudo!

• Citizen
  • 11701 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:58 AM

If only he ever had the Autobots all held at gunpoint. Then he could tell them what he really thinks.

Edited by Fishbug, 10 May 2012 - 05:58 AM.

25aputg.jpg
#WHERESINJECTOR

#145 Detour

Detour

People.... What a bunch of bastards!

• Supporter
  • 20014 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:14 AM

QUOTE(Fishbug @ May 10 2012, 06:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If only he ever had the Autobots all held at gunpoint. Then he could tell them what he really thinks.

Wasn't that in Crossfire?

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#146 M Sipher

M Sipher

All hail Newmie.

• Citizen
  • 11923 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:35 AM

Oh, right.

When he was busy trying to save his lord and master's life.

The same lord and master who had made it quite explicitly clear after Dreadwing nearly got himself killed in his little revenge ploy that this whole "MY BROTHER IS DEAD" thing wasn't going to fly and that Dreadwing has best reorganize his priorities.

Yeah, going on about your dead brother in those circumstances seems like an incredibly intelligent career move.

M "Especially After Dread Had Just Been Sent On A Mission For The Express Purpose Of Murdering Megatron's Then-Lieutenant He'd Gotten Displeased With Not Even What, A Day Prior?" Sipher

"I don't know whether it's a new thing, but it's certainly a current thing, in that it doesn't seem to matter what facts are. It used to be, everyone was entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts."
- Stephen Colbert

#147 Fishbug

Fishbug

Za Warudo!

• Citizen
  • 11701 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:38 AM

Megatron got to have a pre-retreat speech. You're telling me Dreadwing saying "This is not over" before leaving would have just been too much to handle?

Edited by Fishbug, 10 May 2012 - 06:38 AM.

25aputg.jpg
#WHERESINJECTOR

#148 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20014 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:38 AM

In other words, "Megatron tells Dreadwing to get over his brother's death, Dreadwing complies, and it's never brought up again".
Yeah, that death had meaning.

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#149 2017

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42096 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:44 AM

Or, you know, he keeps it to himself after almost being killed trying to avenge said brother.

PM me if you're bored!

#150 M Sipher

M Sipher

All hail Newmie.

• Citizen
  • 11923 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:47 AM

Because we all know for a fact that it will never be brought up in any future episodes ever, and context of the scene is meaningless.

M "No, Really. Your Expectations Are Ridiculous" Sipher

- Stephen Colbert

#151 2017

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42096 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:49 AM

When Prime does it, it's a tired plot device.
When Animated does it, it's good writing!

PM me if you're bored!

#152 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20014 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:57 AM

QUOTE(M Sipher @ May 10 2012, 07:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because we all know for a fact that it will never be brought up in any future episodes ever, and context of the scene is meaningless.

M "No, Really. Your Expectations Are Ridiculous" Sipher

Yet...
QUOTE(Fishbug @ May 10 2012, 07:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Megatron got to have a pre-retreat speech. You're telling me Dreadwing saying "This is not over" before leaving would have just been too much to handle?

He doesn't need to be on a constant roaring rampage of revenge for the death to have meaning. But jesus, it's his entire reason for being on Earth to begin with, let's see something about his brother's death come up! It's been six episodes since his debut! Are the MacGuffins Of The Week really that much more important than character dynamics?

#153 Vestras

Vestras

Stone by Day, Friendship by Night

• Supporter
  • 8459 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:03 AM

A very difficult choice to make in a lot of ways. I guess pro-con it out.

Animated
PRO
* Huge recurring cast, tons of background cameos
--Including references across the entire spectrum (Beast Wars, Japan's G1, and so on)
*Stellar voice cast (Kaye, Bennett, Summers, Burton, Henrickson, etc)
--Up to an including casting Weird Al as Wreck-gar and Judd F'in Nelson as Rodimus
* Original characters added to the mythos (Lugnut, Bulkhead, Sentinel Prime, Yoketron)
* Great reinterpretations of older characters to give them new life (Arcee the teacher, Blitzwing the insane, Shockwave the infiltrator, Prowl the ninja, and so on)
* Strong continuity
* Great sense of humor most of the time.
* The second most threatening Megatron, THE most successful Starscream
* Finally remembering that the universe goes far beyond just our tiny core cast
* A semi-lovable supporting cast of squishies. Varied from story to story.
* Examining Cybertronian society and giving them a sense of history
* Great Original Soundtrack (Omegatron being a personal favorite)
* The first 5 minutes of "Transwarped Pt. 1" Nuff said

CON
* Human villains (uhg. In small doses fine, but the first season is far less good on repeat viewings)
* Character designs take a lot of getting used to (Both on show and as figures. Not to say they are bad, just a drastic departure.)
* MacGuffin do anything All-Spark plot device/Key
* Cut criminally short to make way for yet another poor movie/toyline.

PRIME
PROS
* Mostly great character designs, including some of the most expressive work done to date
* Gorgeous backgrounds
* Takes itself seriously in a well balanced way
* Insanely good action and fight scenes, some of the finest in the franchise period.
--Special Mention for One Shall Fall, easily the best fight since TFTM.
* Great Original Soundtrack
* Surprisingly good Squishy cast
--Special mention for June and Jack, Fowler is a lot more fun than Fanzone, and I actually like Miko.
* Amazing voice cast (KMR, Welker and Cullen together again, Steven Blum, Tony Todd, Gina Torres and Adam Baldwin and so on)
* Original/Expanded Characters (KnockOut and Airachnid being incredible, and the new Arcee is great~)
* THE most Threatening Megatron in TF history
* Solid stories (even with their MacGuffins), and a good job at history building.
* Lots of great callbacks across the spectrum
* Effective Human Villains

CONS
* Pointed nose/crests look poor on some designs.
--Baby Face Optimus prime <shudder>
* Recycled models (par for any CG series, not show specific), occasionally very dull scenery (any times in town)
* MacGuffin of the week plot, and ALL of Cybertrons history landed here (up to an including Big U)
* Certain character weirdness (Wheeljack is Drift, Arcee not being named Chromia~, High Turn over of 'Con cast)
* Raf.... Hug the hugging hug out of Raf. (Boy genius, Hollywood hacker, Oh I understand bee BS...Hug him)
* Shrill beeping Bee (with continued Bee oversaturation, and the idea that he is still a scout when he is clearly a striker)

Overall, I like Animated's universe a lot more, but if I want to see something epic, I'm watching Prime.
Clearing out some old TFs and Mugenbine in my BST Thread. You know you want some of these.

#154 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 16987 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:13 AM

QUOTE(Vestras @ May 10 2012, 08:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
THE most successful Starscream

I kinda disagree with that for TFA Starscream, considering how Cybertron Starscream needed to be beaten by Primus himself.

#155 Shadoman

Shadoman
  • Citizen
  • 2309 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:23 AM

A lot about Prime feels like it was designed by committee. It just feels too safe, too solid. Theres nothing wrong with it, except a few things, but it all feels too prepared. for all of Animated faults, like animation not being the best or writing being off or whatever, the finished product felt more "warm" to me. If you saw a crappy episode, or a good one, it felt like they were having fun with it. In comparison,watching Prime really does feel like a chore. Maybe it's partially budget, and maybe it's because they have no risk of cancellation, but they have to continue upping the stakes. So many episodes begin to blur in my head, and it feels like they could use a loooot of brevity.

And man, am I tired of hearing Animated's design style was icky or whatever. Was it very template based? yeah, but honestly, so were a lot of other series. And people hating it because "lack of detail" Have those people never watched cartoons past the 80's? That generic, detailed, 80's design work bogs down animation because it's hard to keep on model. It's funny that Batman TAS was mentioned, because at the time, people thought it looked weird because it was far less detailed and looked nothing like past action cartoons

#156 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 59610 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:26 AM

people thought it looked weird because it was far less detailed and looked nothing like past action cartoons

[citation needed]

#157 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 15737 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:40 AM

Animated was a noticeably better, more even, more polished show all throughout, and in 3 seasons it only had maybe 2 really bad episodes (Velocity and Sari No One's Home).

Prime is great... NOW. But at least half of season one is unwatchable and there are still clunkers every four or five eps or so, and after having squandered all that time at the beginning they had to make up for it by basically fast-narrating a ton of backstory at us. It simply is not as well-planned or well-structured as Animated was.

#158 LV!

LV!

A tendency to speak in jest

• Citizen
  • 12954 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:59 AM

QUOTE(Kalidor @ May 10 2012, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
people thought it looked weird because it was far less detailed and looked nothing like past action cartoons

[citation needed]

As always in cases like this, any "evidence" is going to be anecdotal at best, but I can tell you that when BTAS came out and I was in love with it, the majority of my friends and classmates thought it looked weird and stupid and should have looked more like the totally rad comic-book-detailed Fox X-Men.

#159 Exatron

Exatron
  • Citizen
  • 1229 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:29 AM

It does seem like Animated is getting a bit overrated here. It's a great show that I really enjoyed overall. I wish it would have continued, and I hate that we missed out on several toys and that S3 still hasn't been released on DVD. But like every show, it was far from perfect.

Right off the top of my head, the single thing that absolutely killed the series for me were the damn stasis cuffs. The show went to great lengths to limit exposure to the Decepticons in order to enhance their threat. Then the show absolutely cuts itself off at the knees by introducing an instant-win plot device. Any Decepticon, no matter how powerful, could suddenly be defeated instantly by slapping a pair of cuffs on them. Unless the fight needed to be epic, in which case the Autobots simply forget they exist. It reeks of incredibly poor writing. They built the villains up so high that they couldn't figure out how to have the heroes deal with them, so they just threw in a deus ex machina. For all the MacGuffins Prime has had, none have so unbalanced the show as stasis cuffs did. As if the key wasn't already enough...

Speaking of the Decepticons, where was Animated's great character work on the other side? Every Decepticon, aside from the one that was a converted Autobot, were extremely shallow characters. By keeping them out of sight, they are left very underdeveloped. It again sheds a poor light on the writers, implying they couldn't manage developing these characters while still making them credible threats. Prime isn't the best example of doing this right, but it's done better than Animated thus far.

I really like both shows. A lot. I can't pick between the two. I just get the sense that a lot of people here are focusing a lot on Prime's faults while pretending Animated's don't exist.

#160 Megaplex Prime

Megaplex Prime

With a lactating basilisk and a K-sized Sharoda!

• Citizen
  • 4432 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:22 AM

The show: Animated was fun, but Prime is entertaining.

The toys: Animated was fun, but Prime is entertaining.

Something to me that is fun is something distracting to indulge in to take your mind off the worries of the world for a short period of time, but then grows old and stale and you need to move on to other things.

Something that is entertaining is something to keep up with for longevity's sake, and has the gutspa to last a long time.

So I'd probably watch Animated in the privacy of my room, but I'd show off Prime to my friends. I'd play with Animated toys, but I'd collect Prime toys.

But I don't think these two can be accurately compared yet until the Prime series is over. It's like comparing a finished painting to a half-finished sculpture. Not only are the mediums of art (in this case, the intent of the series) significantly different, one isn't even finished yet.

But that's typical of fangasm circle-jerking.

Edited by Doc Thunderhead, 10 May 2012 - 10:23 AM.

I'm not Antifa, I'm not violent. But try to look at it from my perspective for 5 seconds. I see 1 side who wants my hugging blood. Literally. And I see another standing in opposition of them, clearly willing to take any stance they need to to stop them. Then I see a bunch of people hemming and hawing and wringing their hands about the whole thing.

Who am I supposed to feel more protected by?