Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  fourteenwings : (23 January 2020 - 11:43 PM)

I don't know about Hasbro's general policy but I know everybody was on lockdown for Frozen II, which included both LEGO and Hasbro. Plus, I'm guessing everybody is holding off PR for NY Toy Fair? Overall, it's best to remember that Toy Fairs are for buyers, not fans.

@  fourteenwings : (23 January 2020 - 11:41 PM)

LEGO has been doing this for ages, including sending cease and desists when outlets get leaked images.

@  ThunderWear : (23 January 2020 - 10:42 PM)

And then they ended up selling off the brand, so I guess I wasn't the only one.

@  ThunderWear : (23 January 2020 - 10:41 PM)

Last time a toy brand I followed tightened down on toy fair and all the invited guests posted glowing reviews of what they saw, I ended up being disappointed as heck.

@  Steevy Maximus : (23 January 2020 - 10:34 PM)

JediNews UK basically said they got a walkthrough of Lego's showcase...but were legally bound to NOT talk about anything, much less take pics.

@  ThunderWear : (23 January 2020 - 10:24 PM)

I wondered why I had seen basically nothing newsworthy from the event

@  Steevy Maximus : (23 January 2020 - 10:14 PM)

Word is that Hasbro and Lego have their UK Toy Fair stuff on MAJOR lockdown. Full NDAs and everything.

@  ThunderWear : (23 January 2020 - 09:28 PM)

Seeing people say the $0.99 + $20 shipping item is cheaper than the $19.99 + free shipping item and getting tons of likes for it... I just don't know anymore.

@  Telly : (23 January 2020 - 09:11 PM)

if you havent already, y'all check your walmarts clearance aisle. i found siege six shot for $5. course, it could just be my walmart, but never hurts to look

@  Vexwing : (23 January 2020 - 07:20 PM)

Candlejack is going to need more ro

@  Patch : (23 January 2020 - 06:30 PM)

I thought you had to type out Candlejack's full name bef

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 January 2020 - 02:46 PM)

I typed in the wrong tab.

@  Paladin : (23 January 2020 - 02:32 PM)

must've been the works of Candleja

@  Telly : (23 January 2020 - 02:06 PM)

looks like maximus wiped himself out mid-sentence

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 January 2020 - 08:42 AM)

Disregard this.

@  TheMightyMol... : (22 January 2020 - 06:58 PM)

Bold of you all to assume we won't wipe ourselves out in 50 years.

@  Benbot : (22 January 2020 - 04:27 PM)

There will be no UBI, people will just live in a ditch while they celebrate owning the libs.

@  Rycochet : (22 January 2020 - 03:24 PM)

In 50 years, retail will be dead because all stores are staffless fully automated operations controlled by Amazon. The UBI will be less than a fifth of what it actually costs to live after two decades of cuts and.a steadfast refusal to match inflation.

@  Maximus Ambus : (22 January 2020 - 02:55 PM)

In fifty years retail will be a thing of the past through robots, printers and Universal Basic Income.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (21 January 2020 - 11:16 AM)

Big retailers just don't want money anymore, so let's not give them any,

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 January 2020 - 04:12 PM)

This place is a madhouse, feels like being cloned.

@  Maximus Ambus : (20 January 2020 - 03:38 PM)

I took one step beyond the outer limits to the twilight zone.

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 January 2020 - 10:19 AM)

All retail is basically the same.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 January 2020 - 10:00 AM)

Walmart just needs to go bankrupt already.

@  ThunderWear : (20 January 2020 - 07:19 AM)

They didn't put the 35th anniversary stuff back out until after new year. I'm no retail expert, but I feel like having stock on the shelf is better than the back. Especially toys at christmas time.

@  ThunderWear : (20 January 2020 - 07:18 AM)

Yeah, my local walmart took away the 35th anniversary endcap weeks before Christmas and left the Transformer section empty well past Christmas.

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 January 2020 - 04:44 AM)

Mine only has the 35th Anniversary Voyagers. A whole lot of them.

@  Telly : (19 January 2020 - 11:35 PM)

just be happy your walmart even stocks voyagers. mine doesnt

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 January 2020 - 08:53 PM)

Figures that Walmart finally restocks Studio Voyagers...with Wave ONE

@  ThunderWear : (19 January 2020 - 09:27 AM)

I snagged Rainmakers for half off.  They make me want jolly ranchers.

@  Trpodeca : (18 January 2020 - 04:21 PM)

I was using my account on another comptuer, and oddly it seemed to default to $US rather than converting it.

@  TM2-Megatron : (18 January 2020 - 02:02 PM)

You should be able to set eBay to display in your local currency, although personally I like to know the actual currency the item is listed in so I know if I need to account for forex fees or not

@  Trpodeca : (18 January 2020 - 06:34 AM)

I'd also like to take the opportunity to say I despise Ebay for showing the list prices in US money.

@  Trpodeca : (18 January 2020 - 06:23 AM)

Well there is an overpriced limited edition, but I don't want to pay that much money for it.

@  Trpodeca : (18 January 2020 - 06:21 AM)

Well great. The one Usagi Yojimbo volume I don't have and it's out of stock.

@  Rycochet : (17 January 2020 - 06:15 PM)

I both love and hate that the Alien franchise seems to have had more luck finding a niche as a line of children's toys than it has at producing worthwhile films.

@  Donocropolis : (17 January 2020 - 06:35 AM)

I've seen them on the shelves at Walmart. They're pretty great looking retro Aliens toys. https://www.walmart....-Vary/934039489

@  fourteenwings : (17 January 2020 - 01:11 AM)

IIRC somebody on here mentioned an unbranded Alien toy a couple of weeks ago? It seems like it was actually part of a collection for the Alien movie series by Lanard. Mattel's making some stuff too.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (16 January 2020 - 03:12 PM)

Is it really a worse name than say, HMS Spanker?

@  Maximus Ambus : (16 January 2020 - 02:36 PM)

'Boaty McBoatface' was a actual thing?! Wow.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (14 January 2020 - 02:00 PM)

Might be worth bringing back this thread.

@  ThunderWear : (14 January 2020 - 01:53 PM)

Of course I had the idea to download all the pdfs like a week too late. Anyone got an archive?

@  Steevy Maximus : (14 January 2020 - 12:48 PM)

The Collector Club is dead. Seems like it all came down shortly after New Year

@  ThunderWear : (13 January 2020 - 11:06 PM)

I can't get to the collector club website. anyone else? I was literally going to download all the fiction to finish reading.

@  Maximus Ambus : (13 January 2020 - 04:50 AM)

News today is all 'there's a CHANCE it would snow in July' and 'dogs COULD bite back'.

@  Benbot : (12 January 2020 - 10:05 PM)

Holy crap, do many people get hurt by them?

@  wonko the sane? : (12 January 2020 - 02:11 PM)

Even in fallout, they never carpet bombed with nukes.

@  Maximus Ambus : (12 January 2020 - 12:43 PM)

I hope the stockpiled nuclear weapons of the US and Russia are accounted for then.

@  Nevermore : (12 January 2020 - 12:22 PM)

Geez. 1760 (!) bombs from World War II that had not detonated and were still armed have been found. That's only the numbers for the federal state of Germany I live in, and only for the first three quarters of 2019. For all of 2018, the total number was 2811 (!!) bombs.

@  CVReynolds : (11 January 2020 - 11:05 PM)

I've been wanting a Tarantulas that turns into a more realistic tarantula for a long time. Maybe Takara will someday do a Masterpiece, which would be neat. But I really want to see a modernized look like in the IDW comics.

Photo

Avengers Fans Assemble!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
690 replies to this topic

#41 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

Sometimes bad ponies make the best good ponies!

• Supporter
  • 6393 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:11 PM

I shall let the ponies review it for me....

Edited by Scavgraphics, 04 May 2012 - 11:11 PM.

#42 CORVUS

CORVUS

Everyone has secrets.

• Supporter
  • 32945 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:15 AM

For those of you hoping Coulson will return, I'll tell you now he's likely dead-dead, because this is Joss Whedon we're talking about here, and Joss is a BASTARD with a capital-B when it comes to killing characters he knows the fans like.

As for the film, it absolutely blew me out of the water.

And for those of you who know me, I'm sure you can guess my reaction at the Thanos reveal. I was hoping for it but kept telling myself it simply had to be something else, just so I wouldn't be too disappointed. I was, however, estatic, and shouted "yes, Yes, YES! THANOS!" right there in the flipping theater. Then a guy behind me asked "Who is that?" and I said "Thanos." and it seemed to spark a tone of recognition in his voice after that.

Courting Death indeed icon-hotrod.gif
“She went around with the attitude that she would rather be beaten to death than take any shit.” - Stieg Larsson

#43 Magnus

Magnus

Board

• Supporter
  • 7755 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:36 AM

That was the best super hero comic book movie i've ever seen. It really, truly lived up to the hype. I'm so happy that Joss Whedon is finally going to get the recognition he deserves.

If I sound kind of monotone it's because i'm still in shock and trying to absorb everything I just saw. My god. They actually did it.

I hope this movie makes *scrubbed* amounts of money.

#44 CORVUS

CORVUS

Everyone has secrets.

• Supporter
  • 32945 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:38 AM

Oh so very INDEED.
“She went around with the attitude that she would rather be beaten to death than take any shit.” - Stieg Larsson

#45 M Virion

M Virion

Dead Girl Walking

• Retired Staff
  • 18878 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:48 AM

QUOTE(Dr Corvus @ May 4 2012, 11:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For those of you hoping Coulson will return, I'll tell you now he's likely dead-dead, because this is Joss Whedon we're talking about here, and Joss is a BASTARD with a capital-B when it comes to killing characters he knows the fans like.

As for the film, it absolutely blew me out of the water.

And for those of you who know me, I'm sure you can guess my reaction at the Thanos reveal. I was hoping for it but kept telling myself it simply had to be something else, just so I wouldn't be too disappointed. I was, however, estatic, and shouted "yes, Yes, YES! THANOS!" right there in the flipping theater. Then a guy behind me asked "Who is that?" and I said "Thanos." and it seemed to spark a tone of recognition in his voice after that.

Courting Death indeed icon-hotrod.gif

I think my exact reaction was to lean over to my roommate at the reveal and say "Somewhere Corvus is smiling."

#46 CORVUS

CORVUS

Everyone has secrets.

• Supporter
  • 32945 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:50 AM

Hah! I thank you for that connection icon-hotrod.gif

#47 BlitzwingHaz

BlitzwingHaz

"Wooo! I'm freaking out!"

• Citizen
  • 16322 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:03 AM

Its funny I thought of Corvus too. None of my friends knew who Thanos was, btu their main exposure to Marvel is the cartoons and movies. I'm just somewhat relieved that Whedon only killed off one character, given his track record I was expecting anything.
Doesn't it annoy you a bit though, that Whedon has always been great at what he does but he's always been held back by producers etc in the past? Fools.
I started reading The Infinity Gauntlet, do you reckon they'll do a Doctor Strange movie before they do an Avengers sequel?

#48 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.

• Citizen
  • 8815 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:17 AM

Saw it, loved everything about it except for the noticeable absence of Rhodey and General Ross. I know the military was probably on their way, but both men should have played at least a small part in the story.

I think I actually heard the Corvgasm when they showed Thanos.

Edited by Jealous Beauty, 05 May 2012 - 01:19 AM.

#49 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 59947 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:32 AM

Amazing movie and amazing experience. IMAX 3D in a theater that every seat was full. Not a single talker, texter, annoying eater, baby crying or anything.

It was all just perfect.

#50 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.

• Citizen
  • 8815 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:56 AM

I sure hope Joss Whedon sticks around for the sequels.

#51 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10702 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:02 AM

Just got back from seeing it. Epic. Flick. This really sets the bar high for future superhero films, and I'm really hoping that the sequels (both Avengers and standalones) live up to that and even surpass it.

I'll need some time to really digest everything that happened, and probably see it a couple more times in order to fully absorb it all. This time around I was a bit closer to the IMAX screen than I'm normally used to and, goddamn was everything huge. I've never in my life been prone to motion sickness, but some of the scenes in this one at that distance almost broke that record, lol. I'll have to get a seat further back the next time I see it, so that I can get a better encompassing view of the action sequences, because this time around it almost felt like I was in those scenes and I was focusing my attention at certain spots as some sudden motion caught my attention. And this didn't seem to be one of those IMAX movies where only sections of the film take full advantage of the screen; the whole damn thing stayed in the IMAX aspect ratio start to finish, floor to ceiling. It was the most impressive post-convered 3-D movie I've seen (though I typically avoid them, so I haven't seen many). There were a few scenes I felt really benefited from the 3-D, and while I wish it had been filmed natively (I hope the sequels are), it was better than I was expecting. It seemed to be floor-to-ceiling on the screen all the way through, as well, unlike some "IMAX" movies that switch aspect ratios and go full-screen only for certain scenes.

There were too many awesome moments in this movie to really list all my favourites; I loved almost all the interaction between the various heroes. Tony's sense of humour, as usually, really killed me; and RDJ and Gwyneth Paltrow really have a great dynamic on-screen in their scenes. I loved when the Hulk randomly punched Thor out of nowhere after they'd killed that monster; the entire theatre seemed to get a kick out of it. The look on Loki's face after he got pulverized by the Hulk was hilarious, too. I was surprised how much darker this Loki was than in Thor, but I suppose it makes sense after his exile that he'd be more desperate. What he did to that guy's eye, though... even though the "action" was off-screen... damn, wasn't expecting anything like that.

I have to admit, Coulson's death really shocked me. I hadn't realized until then how attached I'd become to his character over the course of his various appearances in past Marvel films, and the quiet confidence he always gave off. His being killed off really pains me, but I felt his death scene was pretty damn effective (RDJ also did a great job with Tony's reaction), and as much as I'd like to see his character come back... another part of me thinks that great death scene shouldn't be sullied by bringing him back. This is a comic book film, but it's not a comic book; I think dead non-powered humans should generally stay dead. His death had purpose, and it took a freaking alien demi-god to take him down (and he still managed to knock Loki on his ass, lol).

They've definitely been hinting at the interrelated aspects to the various technologies shown in these new Marvel films. The apparatus SHIELD had the Tesseract installed in (and the one that Selvig built later on to create the invasion portal) looked a heck of a lot like Arc Reactors. Tony also seemed fascinated by it when he got those files of background information. Captain America's vibranium shield can reflect the kinetic energy from Thor's hammer, and the (Vibranium-powered) Arc Reactor Tony developed in Iron Man 2 seems able to absorb electrical energy when it's channeled through the hammer. I hope future movies elaborate more on the Tesseract, and further develop the vibranium stuff.

And I can see why Marvel is considering doing a new standalone Hulk movie with Ruffalo, based on how audiences have taken to him so far in this. I really enjoyed his performance, even though the last Hulk movie was my least-favourite of the 5 films leading up to The Avengers.

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 05 May 2012 - 02:14 AM.

#52 Ashley

Ashley

The nerd formerly known as Waspinator

• Citizen
  • 23922 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:07 AM

Behold, the biggest Avengers fan:

If you can read this, you don't need glasses.

#53 Lazy Garou

Lazy Garou

Raider of fridges, eater of food.

• Citizen
  • 4171 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:31 AM

that costume is so awesome I want to cry!
A persistent predator is always alert!awake! focused! and Zzzz.....

#54 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

• Supporter
  • 6393 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:33 AM

QUOTE(Dr Corvus @ May 5 2012, 01:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A couple of things...

1) Whedon doesn't have that much power in all of this.
2) Marvel just introduced Coulson into both the 616 and Avengers EMH Universes and he's in the new Spider-Man cartoon.
3) We don't see him die, we are just told he did by someone they spent a previous scene establishing that he was a huge liar.

#55 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 21248 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:35 AM

I'd be pissed off if they brought him back. His death was perfect, meant something and was memorable.

ty3jHaa.jpg

#56 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

• Supporter
  • 6393 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:44 AM

I nearly blacked out from laughing at the Hulk wham wham wham Loki bit...

My favorite non combat scene I'd say is the Banner/Stark talk.

#57 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 21248 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:52 AM

MY FAVORITE THINGS. I can't pick one. Or close to one. Or even list them all. Spoilers:

Hulk beating the crap out of Loki mid-monologue.
The three minute long continous shot of all the avengers kicking ass which ends with...
Hulk punching Thor.
Tony Stark stabbing Bruce Banner for the hell of it.
Captain America Trading Cards
"Oh, so that's what it does."
"Does your mother know you wear flowing robes?"
"There's only one God and I'm pretty sure he doesn't dress like that."
"I'm always angry."
Every other wise-ass thing Tony Stark said.

There's a lot more, but those are only the ones I can remember right now. This movie had so many memorable lines and moments that I literally cannot remember them all off just one viewing.

Damnit, I need to see this again like Right Now.

ty3jHaa.jpg

#58 tec

tec

Fired up

• Supporter
  • 31634 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:14 AM

Few things
Seen it three times now. We where so busy today this movies a smash
RDJ is the man and Im glad his dialog is still as snappy as his other films
I never knew how popular Coulson was eveyone reactted to his death that surpises me
Hawkeye did his thing shot lots of arrows..I dont think Black Widow was crying I think it was exostion setting in she had reached her limit

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#59 CORVUS

CORVUS

Everyone has secrets.

• Supporter
  • 32945 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:32 AM

QUOTE(Scavgraphics @ May 5 2012, 03:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1) Whedon doesn't have that much power in all of this.
2) Marvel just introduced Coulson into both the 616 and Avengers EMH Universes and he's in the new Spider-Man cartoon.
3) We don't see him die, we are just told he did by someone they spent a previous scene establishing that he was a huge liar.

1) Perhaps, perhaps not. How much "say" he had during this whole process is unknown.
2) Doesn't mean much to the Marvel movieverse.
3) Valid point, but liars don't always lie about everything.

Like Fwiff, I'd be pissed if Coulson was brought back. His death served a purpose, a purpose Coulson himself acknowledged and Fury ran with.

So, we shall see.

Edited by Dr Corvus, 05 May 2012 - 09:33 AM.

#60 Zek

Zek

Resident Goober

• Supporter
  • 7766 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:38 AM

QUOTE(Dr Corvus @ May 5 2012, 12:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hah! I thank you for that connection icon-hotrod.gif

When I was struggling to remember Thanos' name (as I am actually not all familiar with him) I was like "That's umm....Corvus? No...that's just his picture...Thanatos? Hrm....where's a nerd?"

True Story.