Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 August 2020 - 03:52 AM)

Others say Joe sat down at this pond next to these ducks but really there's just no place in this world for an old man and his ducks.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:48 PM)

Even worse when I can produce those verifiable facts at a later point, and then the other person simply claims the argument was the other way round (as in, I was actually arguing their position and vice versa).

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:47 PM)

I can argue with people about my versus their memory of events when verifiable facts are not readily available, though, and I get really annoyed when I'm capable of presenting a precise, step-by-step summary with multiple key points that can be used for future verification, and the other person just goes "nope, wrong" without going into detail.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:45 PM)

I forget things, and I misremember things. But when presented with verifiable facts, my reaction is more like "Huh, could have sworn it was like that", not "this reality is not my own".

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:43 PM)

I have an extremely good memory (which I have proven time and again), and even I can be mistaken.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 August 2020 - 06:40 PM)

Might be worth pointing out that it only became "Mandela Effect" and not just "I remembered this wrong" when a conspiracy theorist insisted it was proof of alternate timelines.

@  Otaku : (10 August 2020 - 06:29 PM)

Incorrectly remembering Nelson Mandela's fate may be uniquely American... but is it really that strange to get South African political history wrong when you're no where near South Africa?

@  Otaku : (10 August 2020 - 06:29 PM)

I always assumed the Mandela Effect was a "human thing", not an American thing.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 August 2020 - 02:03 PM)

Then there are people who outright manufacture memories for whatever reason.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (10 August 2020 - 01:13 PM)

The human brain is so flaky that it is extremely unlikely that a given person does NOT have any false memories.

@  OverDrive73 : (10 August 2020 - 01:05 PM)

Perhaps it's simple word association the movie Sinbad and then our minds apply the same memories to a man named Sinbad.

@  OverDrive73 : (10 August 2020 - 01:04 PM)

The Mandela Effect is the same as people remembering Sinbad in a movie where he played a genie... Of which he never did.

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 09:36 AM)

People that believe Mandela Effect things would rather come up with any number of reasons as to why their version doesn't have any actual evidence(like alternate timelines collapsing into our own) than just admit they remembered something wrong

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Sort of. It's more that when presented with a verifiable fact, they double down because it's what they believe instead of changing their minds

@  ▲ndrusi : (10 August 2020 - 09:25 AM)

"I could have sworn that ______."

@  ▲ndrusi : (10 August 2020 - 09:25 AM)

I'm not arguing with either of those two statements, but they're not really connected. Mandela Effect is, to oversimplify, people being widely mistaken about what they think *is* a verifiable fact. Nothing to do with opinions.

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 08:52 AM)

Pretty sure the Mandela Effect in general is an American thing. Opinion > Verifiable Facts is sadly a pretty American thing

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:27 AM)

Ask these people how Apartheid ended according to their recollection, and I'm sure they'll draw a blank.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:25 AM)

You got two black anti-Apartheid activists who were imprisoned by the oppressive regime. One died, the other was Nelson Mandela. It's not a far stretch that Americans who don't know many details about the history of other countries would mix up the two.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:24 AM)

My own theory is that these people are simply mixing up Nelson Mandela and Steve Biko, another South African anti-Apartheid activist, who did indeed die in police custody in 1977. There was an Oscar-nominated movie about his life starring Denzel Washington that came out in 1987, the same time frame these people claim remembering Mandela dying.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:17 AM)

I met a few people from South Africa, and they either never heard of the phenomenon at all, or only know of it from the internet. Apparently, it's completely unknown in South Africa, and it might even be entirely limited to the United States.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:16 AM)

So does anyone remember the "Mandela Effect"? I'm talking specifically about the original case where many people vividly remember Nelson Mandela dying in prison in the 1980s.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (10 August 2020 - 03:16 AM)

Crisis of Corona.

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 August 2020 - 06:16 PM)

Which crisis crossover are we on now? I lost track.

@  Rycochet : (09 August 2020 - 05:18 PM)

Much of the past decade has been the part of the comic series where less than stellar authors have driven the series into the ground and the editors are getting ready to either do a big multi issue crossover, leading to a reboot.

@  Bass X0 : (09 August 2020 - 02:28 PM)

At this point I've just decided to consider 2020 "not canon."

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 August 2020 - 02:18 PM)

'member Pepperidge Farm?

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 August 2020 - 02:10 PM)

Before the 'member berries there was Pepperidge farm. Pepperidge farm remembers.

@  OverDrive73 : (09 August 2020 - 12:21 PM)

>>>Shameless Plug<<< FYI. posted the last part of Quest for Tires in Allspark Pictures

@  SG Roadbuster : (08 August 2020 - 01:53 PM)

@Nevermore yes.

@  Nevermore : (08 August 2020 - 09:11 AM)

Is $30 a good deal for Subscription Service Breakdown?

@  Trpodeca : (08 August 2020 - 06:24 AM)

Oh dear God no. Twitter has changed it's default layout to the terrible new one. Why waste so much space on the left?

@  Steevy Maximus : (07 August 2020 - 08:28 PM)

@Bass X0, yeah, the Joe comic got REALLY solid in the upper 20s to the Cobra Civil War. It's interesting to see how well the Joe comic has aged relative to the cartoon. Where as I feel the opposite is true of Transformers

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 August 2020 - 03:58 PM)

Its so fun watching past TF Conventions.

@  Bass X0 : (07 August 2020 - 02:20 PM)

I've been reading classic 80s G.I. Joe lately. Its still decent even though I don't have any nostalgia towards it.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 08:50 AM)

Think of it as Adam West Batman instead. ;)

@  wonko the sane? : (07 August 2020 - 07:49 AM)

That sounds more like the flash, or maybe booster gold than batman.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 12:27 AM)

They would get bored fighting each other and instead decide to take an epic cross-country road trip together.

@  RichardT1977 : (06 August 2020 - 08:57 PM)

What would happen if Batman were to fight Squirrel Girl?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 09:03 PM)

Unless you count the Mask vs Lobo special, but that's less a duel and more a duet.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 08:52 PM)

My favorite crossover fight was Thor vs Shazam/Captain Marvel. Early in the fight, Thor discovers that Billy Batson needs lightning to transform, and being a god of lightning he simply denies him that.

@  Sabrblade : (04 August 2020 - 08:46 PM)

Let's see a fight between Death Battle and Super Power Beat Down

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

Which Lobo later claimed was because he was paid to take a dive. Yes, really.

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

And then there's the times it's been decided by a fan vote, which is how we get things like Lobo (who can go toe-to-toe with Superman at full strength) losing to Wolverine.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

And then there are the "but my favorite characater will totes win because I say so" people.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

I mean, there are some people who really approach this from a somewhat reasonable standpoint, coming up with a plausible scenario and a setting that creates a fair environment that doesn't favor one character.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:46 PM)

My favorite stupid "why would they even fight each other" question recently was about three versions of Optimus Prime (G1, Bayverse and Aligned).

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:45 PM)

Batman obviously can beat everyone. Even Galactus. He's Batman. He's so smart, he'll just throw a Batarang and hit the weak spot at Galactus's forehead, knocking him out instantaneously.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 August 2020 - 11:37 AM)

It's almost like all drama is just manufactured pissing contests to keep us all entertained and distracted. :p

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (04 August 2020 - 10:16 AM)

Or they could go White Ranger vs Scorpion route and have both win. ;P

Photo

Avengers Fans Assemble!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
690 replies to this topic

#41 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

Sometimes bad ponies make the best good ponies!

• Supporter
  • 6393 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:11 PM

I shall let the ponies review it for me....

Edited by Scavgraphics, 04 May 2012 - 11:11 PM.

#42 CORVUS

CORVUS

Holy crap!

• Supporter
  • 33656 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:15 AM

For those of you hoping Coulson will return, I'll tell you now he's likely dead-dead, because this is Joss Whedon we're talking about here, and Joss is a BASTARD with a capital-B when it comes to killing characters he knows the fans like.

As for the film, it absolutely blew me out of the water.

And for those of you who know me, I'm sure you can guess my reaction at the Thanos reveal. I was hoping for it but kept telling myself it simply had to be something else, just so I wouldn't be too disappointed. I was, however, estatic, and shouted "yes, Yes, YES! THANOS!" right there in the flipping theater. Then a guy behind me asked "Who is that?" and I said "Thanos." and it seemed to spark a tone of recognition in his voice after that.

Courting Death indeed icon-hotrod.gif
"Whoa, it's been upgraded to stank. Just last week it was only stink. Stonk can't be far away." - Strong Bad

#43 Magnus

Magnus

Board

• Supporter
  • 7755 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:36 AM

That was the best super hero comic book movie i've ever seen. It really, truly lived up to the hype. I'm so happy that Joss Whedon is finally going to get the recognition he deserves.

If I sound kind of monotone it's because i'm still in shock and trying to absorb everything I just saw. My god. They actually did it.

I hope this movie makes *scrubbed* amounts of money.

#44 CORVUS

CORVUS

Holy crap!

• Supporter
  • 33656 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:38 AM

Oh so very INDEED.
"Whoa, it's been upgraded to stank. Just last week it was only stink. Stonk can't be far away." - Strong Bad

#45 M Virion

M Virion

Sure-footed, newly free

• Retired Staff
  • 19322 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:48 AM

QUOTE(Dr Corvus @ May 4 2012, 11:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For those of you hoping Coulson will return, I'll tell you now he's likely dead-dead, because this is Joss Whedon we're talking about here, and Joss is a BASTARD with a capital-B when it comes to killing characters he knows the fans like.

As for the film, it absolutely blew me out of the water.

And for those of you who know me, I'm sure you can guess my reaction at the Thanos reveal. I was hoping for it but kept telling myself it simply had to be something else, just so I wouldn't be too disappointed. I was, however, estatic, and shouted "yes, Yes, YES! THANOS!" right there in the flipping theater. Then a guy behind me asked "Who is that?" and I said "Thanos." and it seemed to spark a tone of recognition in his voice after that.

Courting Death indeed icon-hotrod.gif

I think my exact reaction was to lean over to my roommate at the reveal and say "Somewhere Corvus is smiling."

#46 CORVUS

CORVUS

Holy crap!

• Supporter
  • 33656 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:50 AM

Hah! I thank you for that connection icon-hotrod.gif

#47 BlitzwingHaz

BlitzwingHaz

"Wooo! I'm freaking out!"

• Citizen
  • 16325 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:03 AM

Its funny I thought of Corvus too. None of my friends knew who Thanos was, btu their main exposure to Marvel is the cartoons and movies. I'm just somewhat relieved that Whedon only killed off one character, given his track record I was expecting anything.
Doesn't it annoy you a bit though, that Whedon has always been great at what he does but he's always been held back by producers etc in the past? Fools.
I started reading The Infinity Gauntlet, do you reckon they'll do a Doctor Strange movie before they do an Avengers sequel?

#48 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.

• Citizen
  • 9123 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:17 AM

Saw it, loved everything about it except for the noticeable absence of Rhodey and General Ross. I know the military was probably on their way, but both men should have played at least a small part in the story.

I think I actually heard the Corvgasm when they showed Thanos.

Edited by Jealous Beauty, 05 May 2012 - 01:19 AM.

#49 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 60179 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:32 AM

Amazing movie and amazing experience. IMAX 3D in a theater that every seat was full. Not a single talker, texter, annoying eater, baby crying or anything.

It was all just perfect.

#50 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.

• Citizen
  • 9123 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:56 AM

I sure hope Joss Whedon sticks around for the sequels.

#51 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10842 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:02 AM

Just got back from seeing it. Epic. Flick. This really sets the bar high for future superhero films, and I'm really hoping that the sequels (both Avengers and standalones) live up to that and even surpass it.

I'll need some time to really digest everything that happened, and probably see it a couple more times in order to fully absorb it all. This time around I was a bit closer to the IMAX screen than I'm normally used to and, goddamn was everything huge. I've never in my life been prone to motion sickness, but some of the scenes in this one at that distance almost broke that record, lol. I'll have to get a seat further back the next time I see it, so that I can get a better encompassing view of the action sequences, because this time around it almost felt like I was in those scenes and I was focusing my attention at certain spots as some sudden motion caught my attention. And this didn't seem to be one of those IMAX movies where only sections of the film take full advantage of the screen; the whole damn thing stayed in the IMAX aspect ratio start to finish, floor to ceiling. It was the most impressive post-convered 3-D movie I've seen (though I typically avoid them, so I haven't seen many). There were a few scenes I felt really benefited from the 3-D, and while I wish it had been filmed natively (I hope the sequels are), it was better than I was expecting. It seemed to be floor-to-ceiling on the screen all the way through, as well, unlike some "IMAX" movies that switch aspect ratios and go full-screen only for certain scenes.

There were too many awesome moments in this movie to really list all my favourites; I loved almost all the interaction between the various heroes. Tony's sense of humour, as usually, really killed me; and RDJ and Gwyneth Paltrow really have a great dynamic on-screen in their scenes. I loved when the Hulk randomly punched Thor out of nowhere after they'd killed that monster; the entire theatre seemed to get a kick out of it. The look on Loki's face after he got pulverized by the Hulk was hilarious, too. I was surprised how much darker this Loki was than in Thor, but I suppose it makes sense after his exile that he'd be more desperate. What he did to that guy's eye, though... even though the "action" was off-screen... damn, wasn't expecting anything like that.

I have to admit, Coulson's death really shocked me. I hadn't realized until then how attached I'd become to his character over the course of his various appearances in past Marvel films, and the quiet confidence he always gave off. His being killed off really pains me, but I felt his death scene was pretty damn effective (RDJ also did a great job with Tony's reaction), and as much as I'd like to see his character come back... another part of me thinks that great death scene shouldn't be sullied by bringing him back. This is a comic book film, but it's not a comic book; I think dead non-powered humans should generally stay dead. His death had purpose, and it took a freaking alien demi-god to take him down (and he still managed to knock Loki on his ass, lol).

They've definitely been hinting at the interrelated aspects to the various technologies shown in these new Marvel films. The apparatus SHIELD had the Tesseract installed in (and the one that Selvig built later on to create the invasion portal) looked a heck of a lot like Arc Reactors. Tony also seemed fascinated by it when he got those files of background information. Captain America's vibranium shield can reflect the kinetic energy from Thor's hammer, and the (Vibranium-powered) Arc Reactor Tony developed in Iron Man 2 seems able to absorb electrical energy when it's channeled through the hammer. I hope future movies elaborate more on the Tesseract, and further develop the vibranium stuff.

And I can see why Marvel is considering doing a new standalone Hulk movie with Ruffalo, based on how audiences have taken to him so far in this. I really enjoyed his performance, even though the last Hulk movie was my least-favourite of the 5 films leading up to The Avengers.

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 05 May 2012 - 02:14 AM.

#52 Ashley

Ashley

The nerd formerly known as Waspinator

• Citizen
  • 23929 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:07 AM

Behold, the biggest Avengers fan:

If you can read this, you don't need glasses.

#53 Lazy Garou

Lazy Garou

Raider of fridges, eater of food.

• Citizen
  • 4171 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:31 AM

that costume is so awesome I want to cry!
A persistent predator is always alert!awake! focused! and Zzzz.....

#54 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

• Supporter
  • 6393 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:33 AM

QUOTE(Dr Corvus @ May 5 2012, 01:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A couple of things...

1) Whedon doesn't have that much power in all of this.
2) Marvel just introduced Coulson into both the 616 and Avengers EMH Universes and he's in the new Spider-Man cartoon.
3) We don't see him die, we are just told he did by someone they spent a previous scene establishing that he was a huge liar.

#55 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 21522 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:35 AM

I'd be pissed off if they brought him back. His death was perfect, meant something and was memorable.

ty3jHaa.jpg

#56 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

• Supporter
  • 6393 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:44 AM

I nearly blacked out from laughing at the Hulk wham wham wham Loki bit...

My favorite non combat scene I'd say is the Banner/Stark talk.

#57 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 21522 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:52 AM

MY FAVORITE THINGS. I can't pick one. Or close to one. Or even list them all. Spoilers:

Hulk beating the crap out of Loki mid-monologue.
The three minute long continous shot of all the avengers kicking ass which ends with...
Hulk punching Thor.
Tony Stark stabbing Bruce Banner for the hell of it.
Captain America Trading Cards
"Oh, so that's what it does."
"Does your mother know you wear flowing robes?"
"There's only one God and I'm pretty sure he doesn't dress like that."
"I'm always angry."
Every other wise-ass thing Tony Stark said.

There's a lot more, but those are only the ones I can remember right now. This movie had so many memorable lines and moments that I literally cannot remember them all off just one viewing.

Damnit, I need to see this again like Right Now.

ty3jHaa.jpg

#58 tec

tec

Shhhh or she will take your yubi's

• Supporter
  • 32734 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:14 AM

Few things
Seen it three times now. We where so busy today this movies a smash
RDJ is the man and Im glad his dialog is still as snappy as his other films
I never knew how popular Coulson was eveyone reactted to his death that surpises me
Hawkeye did his thing shot lots of arrows..I dont think Black Widow was crying I think it was exostion setting in she had reached her limit

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#59 CORVUS

CORVUS

Holy crap!

• Supporter
  • 33656 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:32 AM

QUOTE(Scavgraphics @ May 5 2012, 03:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1) Whedon doesn't have that much power in all of this.
2) Marvel just introduced Coulson into both the 616 and Avengers EMH Universes and he's in the new Spider-Man cartoon.
3) We don't see him die, we are just told he did by someone they spent a previous scene establishing that he was a huge liar.

1) Perhaps, perhaps not. How much "say" he had during this whole process is unknown.
2) Doesn't mean much to the Marvel movieverse.
3) Valid point, but liars don't always lie about everything.

Like Fwiff, I'd be pissed if Coulson was brought back. His death served a purpose, a purpose Coulson himself acknowledged and Fury ran with.

So, we shall see.

Edited by Dr Corvus, 05 May 2012 - 09:33 AM.

#60 Zek

Zek

Resident Goober

• Supporter
  • 7766 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:38 AM

QUOTE(Dr Corvus @ May 5 2012, 12:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hah! I thank you for that connection icon-hotrod.gif

When I was struggling to remember Thanos' name (as I am actually not all familiar with him) I was like "That's umm....Corvus? No...that's just his picture...Thanatos? Hrm....where's a nerd?"

True Story.