Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 June 2019 - 03:15 PM)

So which series is 90s American Godzilla?

@  Dekafox : (20 June 2019 - 03:12 PM)

So G1 Marvel would be Showa Transformers then

@  NotVeryKnightly : (20 June 2019 - 12:37 PM)

Yes.

@  RichardT1977 : (20 June 2019 - 12:05 PM)

Is it weeby of me to refer to the two IDW TF continuities as Heisei and Reiwa? I mean, the switchover almost perfectly lines up with the change of eras...

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 June 2019 - 10:35 AM)

I hate when the spicy version of something isn't spicy!

@  Pennpenn : (20 June 2019 - 08:43 AM)

I hate it when the spicy version of something is in almost identical packaging to the non-spicy version. Especially when I don't notice until I've got home.

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 June 2019 - 05:44 PM)

They make a lot of pills for that.

@  Nevermore : (19 June 2019 - 05:42 PM)

I got the results of the test back. I definitely have no sense of humor.

@  Paladin : (18 June 2019 - 05:59 PM)

so anyway how is your sex life?

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 June 2019 - 10:50 AM)

These jokes are tearing me apart.

@  unluckiness : (18 June 2019 - 08:55 AM)

Only if the customer reviews give it all high marks.

@  Patch : (18 June 2019 - 04:42 AM)

Are they going to call it "I-Did-Nawtflix?"

@  unluckiness : (18 June 2019 - 12:48 AM)

I see, so what the world needs is a Tommy Wiseau streaming service.

@  TM2-Megatron : (17 June 2019 - 11:02 PM)

Well, Conan did start the trend that resulted in a wave of Barbarian films in the mid to late 80s

@  MEDdMI : (17 June 2019 - 10:57 PM)

I keep wanting to read Corman as Conan

@  TM2-Megatron : (17 June 2019 - 10:29 PM)

There needs to be some streaming service that caters to connoisseurs of schlock. Otherwise, a huge part of our cultural history will be wiped away. While many of these films are available on blu-ray, with more coming out each month, it's good they're also available for the streaming crowd.

@  TM2-Megatron : (17 June 2019 - 10:18 PM)

Corman did make an impressive number of barbarian films back in the day. If impressive is the word

@  Steevy Maximus : (17 June 2019 - 08:11 PM)

I mean, where else are you going to see the entire Roger Corman barbarian fantasy library (legally) for free?

@  Steevy Maximus : (17 June 2019 - 08:09 PM)

Oh Tubi TV, you are a haven for terrible films. Netflix, Hulu and Crackle all push for mainstream appeal and prestige, you got the guts to have ready access to dregs even the SyFy channel wouldn't air

@  ▲ndrusi : (17 June 2019 - 01:33 PM)

Also you have Bayonetta and a bunch of Fire Emblem people.

@  ▲ndrusi : (17 June 2019 - 01:33 PM)

...I mean, Tales character. Probably up to/for it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 June 2019 - 01:26 PM)

But what if I need to kill a god? Or several of them?

@  ▲ndrusi : (17 June 2019 - 11:25 AM)

Kratos is allowed, but only the one from Tales of Symphonia

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 June 2019 - 10:56 AM)

So no Kratos?

@  ▲ndrusi : (17 June 2019 - 10:42 AM)

In any case I'd rather have another Fire Emblem character than another character from a PlayStation exclusive game who teeeeeechnically was in a spinoff.

@  ▲ndrusi : (17 June 2019 - 10:39 AM)

Kong had his name on the games first, but Mario was the protagonist first. It's debatable.

@  Rycochet : (17 June 2019 - 10:33 AM)

Wouldn't Mario be the one spun off from the Donkey Kong franchise, given that Kong was first?

@  Pennpenn : (17 June 2019 - 05:19 AM)

I would count Wario and Yoshi, but not DK (might be because I wasn't even aware DK was spun off from the Mario franchise until I was in my mid-20s, but whatever)

@  unluckiness : (17 June 2019 - 04:13 AM)

But to be fair, Corrin is the only one I particularly dislike and it's really more boredom due to their blandness as characters

@  unluckiness : (17 June 2019 - 04:09 AM)

It would depend on whether or not you count DK, Wario and Yoshi as part of the Mario franchise or separate. Scratch that, there are more Mario characters even with just the mushroom symbol people but it's a close call.

@  Pennpenn : (17 June 2019 - 02:55 AM)

You'd figure Fire Emblem would have enough characters in Smash. Kinda feels like there's more FE characters than Mario characters.

@  unluckiness : (16 June 2019 - 01:20 AM)

And for hug's sake, I hope that the new Fire Emblem's PC isn't one of the DLC

@  Sean Whitmore : (15 June 2019 - 04:11 PM)

Smash Bros could never touch a new franchise again, and I'd still have laundry lists of side characters and villains I'd love to see included.

@  unluckiness : (15 June 2019 - 09:36 AM)

DINNER

@  SG Roadbuster : (15 June 2019 - 09:36 AM)

cuz i wanna fight a boat

@  SG Roadbuster : (15 June 2019 - 09:35 AM)

if we must have another zelda character, id want the king of red lion

@  MEDdMI : (14 June 2019 - 10:38 PM)

I would unironically love Tingle in Smash.

@  Paladin : (14 June 2019 - 02:06 PM)

they HAVE to put Travis Touchdown in at some point now, right???

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 June 2019 - 01:24 PM)

Right after Shaq.

@  Locoman : (14 June 2019 - 12:36 PM)

When will we get Bluster Kong in Smash?

@  unluckiness : (14 June 2019 - 08:20 AM)

The last three DLC characters are Tingle, Charles Barkley and L Tetris block with Reverse L Tetris block as an Echo fighter.

@  MEDdMI : (14 June 2019 - 08:09 AM)

Pipe dream Smash entry: The Prince from the Katamari series. :D

@  MEDdMI : (14 June 2019 - 06:35 AM)

The space/time around them gets frozen too! ....or something.

@  unluckiness : (14 June 2019 - 06:01 AM)

I still want to find out how freezing people suspends them in midair

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (14 June 2019 - 02:45 AM)

We really need Subzero or Scorpion in Smash. Violence aside, they are pretty big gaming icons as well.

@  Steevy Maximus : (13 June 2019 - 08:18 PM)

Given Nintendo's relationship with Tecmo, I'm still waiting for Ryu Hyabusa

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 June 2019 - 07:19 PM)

I'm still waiting for Doomguy.

@  Steevy Maximus : (13 June 2019 - 06:47 PM)

I just started watching High School DxD (don't judge me...) and I caught on the Nintendo Treehouse some request Rias for Smash lol

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 June 2019 - 11:25 AM)

I have having to watch a video to find out why someone wanted me to watch the video

@  Nevermore : (11 June 2019 - 04:58 PM)

I remember when the TPB for The Dark Age 2 was delayed for an entire year...

Photo
- - - - -

M:TG Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 Vestras

Vestras

Stone by Day, Friendship by Night

• Supporter
  • 8459 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:13 AM

In the distant hallowed ages of 1994, the world of comic shops and gaming stores was changed forever when Magic: The Gathering game compulsive collectors and fantasy enthusiasts an entirely new thing to geek out on.

I got into the game at the very early end of Unlimited Edition and with the The Dark fresh on the shelves. I survived the Ice Age, the Homelands/Fallen Empires dark ages, the Tempest and all the way through until Masques. And when the game needed me the most, I vanished.

Now, over 10 years later, I have rediscovered the game and it is frightening how easily I slipped back into old patterns. Dropping money on boosters, the smell of old cards, trading and bargaining to get the key cards for your decks, life dice, the works.

Looking back on what I missed, I only really regret missing Kamigawa, Time Spiral, and Mirridon the most. Luckily, I can still get the Scars block and it's still legal for now. The Innistrad block doesn't really appeal to me much so far, but that's how it goes.

So, Any one else here still play, or used to and feels nostalgic? Anyone up for talking deck strategies?
Clearing out some old TFs and Mugenbine in my BST Thread. You know you want some of these.

#2 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Staff
  • 38817 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:23 AM

Kamigawa, had some neat samurai, but the whole spirits thing was extremely annoying.

Time Spiral, was definitely neat and I wished that I had gotten more into that.

Mirridon, had some game breaking mechanics and the whole artifact focus got even more annoying than the aforementioned spirits.

Ravnica, however, was my absolute favorite expansion though, and I would definitely recommend checking that expansion out.

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#3 tec

tec

Put a little spring in your step

• Supporter
  • 30431 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:10 AM

Huge casual player I used to do arena leage and one time won a box of boosters at a turny but steped down from that as most ppl in thim are _____

I dint like the Kamigawa block at all
But wish in dint miss the Eveningtide/Morningtide Shadowmore set

Love the Innistrad set cant wait for the next set in the block

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#4 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 8965 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:26 AM

I started around Tempest myself. I'm not a very competitive player, and I stay in the game for the story a lot of the time. Last year I went and bought all the crew of the Weatherlight just to have them.

#5 Vestras

Vestras

• Supporter
  • 8459 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:05 PM

Man I loved the Tempest/Weatherlight story arc. Until the end that is. Oh well. Still, It's my favorite block by far.

Hell, I even have the Vanguard cards of the crew (Precursors to planeswalker or archenemy mechanics)

Predaking, you will be thrilled to here the new expansion in october is Return to Ravinca

While I used to do tournaments (and was even a DCI judge for a while), I'm kind of hedging things at the moment. I know none of my old decks are tourney legal, so for both that and to ease back in, I'm basically starting fresh. I might dip a toe back into tournaments once I get a better grasp/deck.

In the old days, I prefered Blue/Black card dominance decks (I called my winner The Migraine). I've started to rebuild it though now it's more of a mill deck. I need a Jace, Memory Adept for the knock out punch since Megrim is long out of legality.

I'm also really digging Metalcraft, rebuilding a precon I picked up into a better functional deck as I get the cards to support it (I don't proxy).
Clearing out some old TFs and Mugenbine in my BST Thread. You know you want some of these.

#6 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 16969 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:53 PM

I remember when Magic was brand new (and the card art was pretty weak) me and a friend picked up a deck each on a summer work trip and proceeded to play every night, doing everything fairly wrong because CCGs were brand new and we weren't in the mood to read the thick instructions very deeply.

Then I didn't touch it except in passing until I made a good friend who was a gamer in Graduate School (right around the time I met my wife) and we all got into doing Magic together.

Havn't played in a few years now, but me, my wife, and some friends used to have a LOT of fun with it. It only trailed off when we all got into DND for a couple years. (Then the DnD group broke up, as they usually do over scheduleing and I hanvn't gotten to game since.) Having a 4 year old will do that.

Every once in a while I really get the urge to buy some new boosters to check out the newest cards, but the big boxes of cards and decks me and the wife have in the basement that havn't been touched in years float up like Marley's ghost and stop me.

I do kinda miss it. I was the kinda player that liked HUGE monsters (Green) and hidding obscure, unlikely to go off, but insane on the rare occasion they worked combos in a deck. Fun times. Now you've got me wanting to contact the old group again.

-ZacWilliam, still wishes Hasbro could pull off a good TF CCG, but it's never gonna happen...

Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#7 Sharkshadow

Sharkshadow
  • Citizen
  • 12905 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:53 PM

Been playing since Ice Age- Mirage era and still going. i used to do tourneys but i cant play cards with people that super serial about cardboard.

#8 Joker

Joker

Predacon_Cryotek indeed.

• Supporter
  • 2084 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:58 PM

I fall in and out of magic all the time. I first started playing it during Mirage, and then I stopped, came back for Onslaught, then back again for Lorwyn and now back again with Innistrad block (definitely my favorite block ever.)

I have 6 or 7 decks now.
Black Green Elf token deck
Black Green Reanimation deck
Red Deck wins deck
Red Goblin deck
Blue Mill self deck (Lab Maniac)
and finally a Black White Token deck.

#9 tec

tec

• Supporter
  • 30431 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

My decks are..

2 Red haste decks
Green weenie/overrun
Green Monster/Moss Bridge Troll deck
Black Lifetaker/maker Siguine Bond/blood
Black Discarder
Blue Black Control you
White life
All foil deck
Chick art deck

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#10 Rust

Rust

all that was real is left behind

• Supporter
  • 45622 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:25 PM

I played up to Mirridon. I finally managed to discover a deck idea that - while impractical - I absolutely loved playing (The Dross Engine. Long story short? I Kill You In One Turn, no matter what your HP is and whatever you have on the field).

And then Wizards banned the card that actually makes the deck work (Disciple of the Vault).
Don't fight it, it's coming for you, running at ya / It's only this moment, don't care what comes after
Your fever dream, can't you see it getting closer / Just surrender 'cause you feel the feeling taking over
It's fire, it's freedom, it's flooding open / It's a preacher in the pulpit and you'll find devotion
There's something breaking at the brick of every wall, it's holding All that you know
So tell me do you wanna go?

#11 Transfotaku

Transfotaku
  • Citizen
  • 1428 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:52 PM

Like the game. Been playing on and off since it came out, selling collections here or there, but back into it again.

I mostly do Commander/EDH format though. It's great fun. I like that format a lot better than normal, and got one deck with so much draw power I sometimes literally have my entire library in my hand. And of course, use that Lab Maniac from Innistrad to make me auto-win when I do that.
RIP Libby - Died June 1st, 2012
WANT: Nightmare Unicron, IDW Trailcutter, Hoist x2, Orion Pax x2, BH Arcee, Legend Optimus w/Roller

#12 Sharkshadow

Sharkshadow
  • Citizen
  • 12905 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:57 PM

my decks at the momment are
mono black tribal rats
a green/black reanimator
blue/white spirits
and im working on red/green werewolves and mono black zambies.

Edited by skyshadow, 18 April 2012 - 11:57 PM.

#13 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

When the going gets tough, they send in the best

• Supporter
  • 44277 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:54 AM

Been playing on and off since Torment. My favorites are mono-red Goblin and mono-green aggro. Unfortunately, I know all of four other people who play, and I can't stand official tournaments (facing the same deck printed off the internet seven or eight times doesn't appeal to me). Kind of got back into the game around Eldrazi, when a nearby store was holding small unofficial drafts and tournaments, but the store closed last year, so that's done.

#14 Redjack Ryan

Redjack Ryan

Hellcat "Ravage"

• Supporter
  • 1903 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:23 AM

I started playing the game around the time 4th edition had come out and played through high school. Stopped playing around the time of Alliances. I had built up a decent collection of cards including older ones including an impressive amount of Unlimited and Revised dual lands. I had been meaning to sell the collection, but it was ruined by water damage in my apartment fire in 2010. At least I got insurance money out of it.

#15 SilverFirePrime

SilverFirePrime

And one more for Jenny and the Wimp

• Citizen
  • 3892 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:45 AM

I've been playing since Ice Age. Haven't been able to play as much as I once did, and I play mainly multiplayer. My personal favorite deck of mine is a green/white control where I make all my creatures indestructible before a Wrath of God or similar card. Then I hopefully topdeck Biorhythm next turn icon-fire.gif.

Lest I forget my green/red dragon deck that can go infinite if there's no strong fliers on the board

QUOTE(The Predaking @ Apr 18 2012, 10:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ravnica, however, was my absolute favorite expansion though, and I would definitely recommend checking that expansion out.

Then you will be happy to hear of this:
http://www.wizards.c...aily/arcana/946

But before we get too ahead of ourselves, anyone else really looking forward to Avacyn Restored?

When you find yourself standing on the brink of surrender, know that many in the past faced trials such as your own, but overcame them with their great conviction.
No matter the greatness of your desperation, the failures of your efforts, or the injustice of your treatment, at least a few men have stared into the same challenges and emerged victorious from these tests.
Such men are not only a great source of inspiration, but also the very foundation upon which modern society rests.

From lyric booklet of 'Starfall' by Dragonland

The mind. It boggles.
QUOTE(Alvatron!)
...what's a comicon without a roomful of drunken comic geeks singing showtunes to DDR?

#16 tec

tec

• Supporter
  • 30431 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:55 AM

The last of the Innastraid block of so heck yeah bring on the Angels!

www.vintagenerdvana.com

#17 Vestras

Vestras

• Supporter
  • 8459 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:21 AM

Yea, Avacyn actually has my interest unlike most of the rest of the Ins block. I gotta say, Miracle is going to be a major game changer. Lot more strategy involved than it looks like at first.

Scrapping my W/R life/DD deck. It lacks an endgame punch. Too defensive. I'm thinking I might tear up my Metalcrafter (U/R) and rebuild a W/R metalcraft and a W/U Spirits deck instead.

Meanwhile my mill/control deck just needs some shaving to clear out excess cards and I think it is almost ready. I still need to buy a Jace, but at $15+ I might have to see if I can wiggle a trade somewhere... Like for this mythic angelic enchantment I snagged maybe.

The return of Ravinca makes me hope that particular guild (the U/B discarder) will help me get back into my old habits more.

#18 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 16969 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:45 AM

Like I said further up, I havn't done Magic in a few years now, but remain MTG-curious. So this thread Inspired me to check out the current sets.

They actually seem really cool. I like the"Ravenloft" feeling the apparent current set has, and I especially like the Angel vibe of the upcomming one. My wife has always been a white/angelic player. I'm thinking of seeing if I can't get her interested in this, maybe get us a try playing again.

-ZacWilliam, the Ravnica block was (I think, it was awhile ago now) one of the last blocks we were really into too, which makes me interested in that too, even if it's a ways off.
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#19 Tm_Silverclaw

Tm_Silverclaw
  • Citizen
  • 10934 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:54 AM

I'm actually trying to get back into Magic and Yu-Gi-Oh.. Unfortantly the place to play both is 45 minutes away.

#20 Joker

Joker

Predacon_Cryotek indeed.

• Supporter
  • 2084 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:30 AM

Just finished building a deck for my sister. A Werewolf deck. She took the plunge and bought boxes for Innistrad and Dark Ascension recently so she wanted a deck for the sets. The list looks pretty good to me, but She'll need to play it a bit to see how it works.