Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Cyoti : (01 July 2020 - 12:51 PM)

We can deport Yogi back to Canada now.

@  Sabrblade : (01 July 2020 - 12:50 PM)

Jellystone National Pawk. A westful wetweat.

@  Rycochet : (01 July 2020 - 12:47 PM)

Jellystone. We're going to be plunged into a decade of poor animation. Fortunately we've been led by bad cartoon characters for years so we won't notice much difference.

@  Maximus Ambus : (01 July 2020 - 06:19 AM)

what next? YELLOWSTONE?

@  Nevermore : (01 July 2020 - 05:46 AM)

Thanks, dead person.

@  Bass X0 : (01 July 2020 - 05:06 AM)

congratulations to all survivors of the first half of 2020.

@  wonko the sane? : (30 June 2020 - 10:21 PM)

21 for me, but after numerous repetitions I got it down to 17 and a half.

@  TheMightyMol... : (30 June 2020 - 06:16 PM)

I transform in six steps from human to human sitting on my ass at the computer and back again!

@  -LittleAutob... : (30 June 2020 - 05:55 PM)

x-x when in vehicle mode we can travel much F A R T H E R-

@  wonko the sane? : (30 June 2020 - 05:52 PM)

Because despite the fact that we can travel around the world in the time it takes to get a good nights sleep and a couple of meals: people rarely wander more than 25 miles away from home for the duration of their lives.

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 05:49 PM)

I don't know how many days that trip takes - especially while sightseeing - but explaining they're 3936 kilometers (2445 miles) apart gives an idea, paradoxically because it is too large to easily picture.

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 05:44 PM)

Aye.  When I catch lay people discussing miles and not how long the trip takes, it is in an attempt to stress how far away something is... like NYC to LA.

@  ▲ndrusi : (30 June 2020 - 01:20 PM)

But I can imagine 45 *minutes* easily.

@  ▲ndrusi : (30 June 2020 - 01:20 PM)

I can imagine a mile, it's a distance I've run. I can't really imagine 45 miles.

@  ▲ndrusi : (30 June 2020 - 01:19 PM)

I think there's also an element of the thing where things that are much bigger than us all blur together.

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 11:49 AM)

If you're not, then you're more concerned with how long it takes.  Actual distance doesn't tell you that very well.  Besides traffic and road conditions, you'll need to know what kind of driving (city/interstate/rural/etc.).

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 11:47 AM)

Distance matters if you're being paid by the mile.

@  TM2-Megatron : (30 June 2020 - 11:44 AM)

Canadians are the same way, for the most part. If you're driving somewhere far, especially, it helps you plan out the day more than a distance in KM would.

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 11:42 AM)

We use the time it takes to get someplace because that is what is relevant to us.

@  TheMightyMol... : (30 June 2020 - 10:55 AM)

Because even we can't figure out miles half the time.

@  Paladin : (30 June 2020 - 09:54 AM)

it's a big country with a lot of empty space. between our citizens' ears.

@  Bass X0 : (30 June 2020 - 09:52 AM)

Why do most Americans measure distance by hours of driving?

@  TM2-Megatron : (29 June 2020 - 07:26 PM)

And as a result the world's lone blu-ray release of the film, an Australian disc that came out 7 years ago, now goes for hundreds of dollars on eBay. Thanks Disney.

@  TM2-Megatron : (29 June 2020 - 06:21 PM)

Well, they censored Daryl Hannah's butt in Splash :rolleyes

@  Paladin : (29 June 2020 - 05:43 PM)

maybe New Mutants is too bad even for D+.

@  Steevy Maximus : (29 June 2020 - 05:00 PM)

X-Men films are coming to Disney+ next month. But will they censor Hugh Jackman's butt?

@  -LittleAutob... : (29 June 2020 - 12:44 PM)

Pft.

@  TheMightyMol... : (29 June 2020 - 11:59 AM)

Behold! Night Strike Galvatron!

@  Bass X0 : (29 June 2020 - 09:53 AM)

I will grant you a recolored body, and recolored troops to command.

@  Cybersnark : (29 June 2020 - 09:47 AM)

I don't want to be reissued. This body sucks, I wanna be updated.

@  Nevermore : (29 June 2020 - 09:43 AM)

I definitely don't intend to be reissued. Nobody would buy me.

@  Bass X0 : (29 June 2020 - 08:31 AM)

will anybody else attempt to be reissued?

@  wonko the sane? : (29 June 2020 - 07:51 AM)

*Gasp* Decepticons re-writing history to serve their own needs?!?!

@  Nevermore : (29 June 2020 - 05:48 AM)

The whole point of the DJD is that they're fanatical Megatron fanboys (especially Tarn) to the point of having their own headcanon taking priority of the actual canon, simply speaking.

@  TheMightyMol... : (29 June 2020 - 04:01 AM)

They didn't know the war was over until later. And then they denied it anyway.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (28 June 2020 - 10:47 PM)

"He's comin' right for us!"

@  Telly : (28 June 2020 - 08:40 PM)

was that even still in effect once the war ended?

@  TheMightyMol... : (28 June 2020 - 06:51 PM)

According to Roberts, soldiers can ignore the order to spare Whirl if he's directly threatening them. But mostly the DJD were out of their heads on Nuke and not really caring much at the time.

@  Xaaron : (28 June 2020 - 06:41 PM)

Also, they were hopped up on goofballs at the time.

@  wonko the sane? : (28 June 2020 - 06:06 PM)

Cause it was whirl. He opened his (non-existant.) gob at the just the right time to piss somebody off. Or, so I assume.

@  Maximus Ambus : (28 June 2020 - 06:00 PM)

If Whirl was off limits why did the DJD kill him?

@  TM2-Megatron : (27 June 2020 - 05:57 PM)

That sounds about right. I actually didn't get into it until the IQ expansion came out (which saved me a bit of expense)

@  Otaku : (27 June 2020 - 05:55 PM)

Weird question (and sorry for so many shouts): did Overpower really release in August of '95?  I could have sworn I attempted to play it with a classmate who shouldn't have been a classmate by that point.

@  Otaku : (27 June 2020 - 05:52 PM)

So... I don't have all my cards still somewhere. XP I still play Pokémon via the PTCGO, and I've been doing Card of the Days over on Pojo (on and off) since 2013.

@  Otaku : (27 June 2020 - 05:51 PM)

For both financial, personal, and practical reasons, all my collectibles had to go about 10 years ago: action figures, comic books, card games, RPG books, video games.

@  TM2-Megatron : (27 June 2020 - 05:48 PM)

I've still got all my cards, somewhere; I had a pretty decent collection. Still have the Japanese Digimon CCG, too. Glad I never got into Magic; way too pricey

@  Otaku : (27 June 2020 - 05:36 PM)

Technically, Overpower was my first TCG... except I never, ever learned how to play it, or understood that booster packs contained different cards than the Starter Decks.

@  Otaku : (27 June 2020 - 05:35 PM)

Can't forget what you didn't know in the first place.

@  Patch : (27 June 2020 - 05:28 PM)

Ah yes, Overpower. Who could forget the expansion where they added a new stat and you had to re-collect your heroes all over again.

@  TheMightyMol... : (27 June 2020 - 04:20 PM)

Counterpoint, when was the last time you spent money on Overpower?

Photo

Guardians of the Galaxy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
864 replies to this topic

#21 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.

• Citizen
  • 9059 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:34 PM

I'm hoping SWORD factors into GOTG somehow.

#22 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17795 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:48 PM

QUOTE(Jealous Beauty @ Jul 15 2012, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm hoping SWORD factors into GOTG somehow.

Hadn't thought of that, but Agent Brand and SWORD would be a great way to bring the "SHEILD" presence into the GoG sphere.

-ZacWilliam, was just reminded of the SWORD miniseries. Can you imagine a Death's Head cameo in a Marvel Film. I think the fandom would go into joygams-shock.
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#23 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

Sometimes bad ponies make the best good ponies!

• Supporter
  • 6393 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:07 AM

SWORD, and especialy Brand, may belong to the X-Franchise, though, and thus be with Fox.

#24 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17795 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:49 AM

QUOTE(Scavgraphics @ Jul 16 2012, 04:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
SWORD, and especialy Brand, may belong to the X-Franchise, though, and thus be with Fox.

I kinda doubt it. Did they first show up in an X Book? Sure. But by that argument Wolverine would be a Hulk character. None of them are Mutants. They don't involve mutants anywhere in their concept. And they've had far more regular Marvel U appearences now than the few in XMen that started them off.

Their basically a spin off of SHEILD that deals with aliens. As long as the Beast isn't involved there's really no link to the Xmen concept or character wise

-ZacWilliam, I mean it's not impossible, but I'd say it's very, very unlikely to be involved in the Xorights at all.

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 16 July 2012 - 05:50 AM.

#25 Lizard King

Lizard King

I burned out my eyes, I cut off my tounge.

• Citizen
  • 9610 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:01 AM

QUOTE(ZacWilliam1 @ Jul 16 2012, 06:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I kinda doubt it. Did they first show up in an X Book? Sure. But by that argument Wolverine would be a Hulk character. None of them are Mutants. They don't involve mutants anywhere in their concept. And they've had far more regular Marvel U appearences now than the few in XMen that started them off.

Their basically a spin off of SHEILD that deals with aliens. As long as the Beast isn't involved there's really no link to the Xmen concept or character wise

-ZacWilliam, I mean it's not impossible, but I'd say it's very, very unlikely to be involved in the Xorights at all.

I don't see how it could possibly be an issue, especially considering what's been said about Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. Also, I don't see SWORD showing up, unless it's an after credits teaser deal. I'd say GOTG will mostly take place away from Earth, or anything having to do with Earth.

#26 Undead Scottsman

Undead Scottsman

THANOSCOPTER

• Citizen
  • 10542 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:25 AM

QUOTE(Lizard King @ Jul 16 2012, 04:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(ZacWilliam1 @ Jul 16 2012, 06:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't see how it could possibly be an issue, especially considering what's been said about Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. Also, I don't see SWORD showing up, unless it's an after credits teaser deal. I'd say GOTG will mostly take place away from Earth, or anything having to do with Earth.

Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch and the Skrulls are the ONLY Marvel IP's that are shared. Everything else is either available to Marvel or not.

However, given that SWORD was first created in 2004, it's quite likely that the old X-men contracts don't apply to it, as they predate the issue SWORD premiered in.

MSzBav1.jpg

#27 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17795 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:28 AM

Even aside from the contracts predating them again I don't think they really qualify as Xmen or Mutant relatd characters any more than Wolverine qualifies as Hulk supporting cast. They were allways a SHEILD spin off and space related spy group with no real link to the XUniverse concept-wise.

-ZacWilliam, knows he's a TF geek cause his IPad kept trying to autocorrect "predating" into Predaking.

#28 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

That was then, this is now.

• Citizen
  • 9303 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:43 AM

I'd figure GotG would - or SHOULD, really - take place pretty much entirely in space, with Star Lord as our human POV character, plucked from Earth in the opening scenes of the film somehow and dropped into this cosmic scenario.

#29 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17795 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:53 AM

QUOTE(Chris McFeely @ Jul 16 2012, 09:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd figure GotG would - or SHOULD, really - take place pretty much entirely in space, with Star Lord as our human POV character, plucked from Earth in the opening scenes of the film somehow and dropped into this cosmic scenario.

That is their prefered setting, yeah. I'd see SWORD with like an after credit stinger at best.

-ZacWilliam, Star Lord makes sense as POV human. Gamora and Drax both have strong Thanos ties (raised by him and created to destroy him respectively). Groot can pass pretty easiy as "Alien Monster." I do wonder how they'll handle Rocket though. Is he just an Alien like Groot?Do you tie his origin to Earth raccoons? Do you hang a lampshade on it as Bendis did in the most recent Avengers Assemble? His comics origin is a bit odd for film...

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 16 July 2012 - 08:54 AM.

#30 Undead Scottsman

Undead Scottsman

THANOSCOPTER

• Citizen
  • 10542 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:10 AM

The two ways I see of doing it

1. Tie him to Starlord somehow. Maybe Quill gets abducted into the cosmic scene instead running into it as an astronaut. Queue the standard "Out in the middle of the nowhere, strange lights in sky, car dies" scenario and have Quill flee into the woods, at which point his abductors just carve out a chunk of the forest to nab him; carrying several Earth plants and animals, including a raccoon with them. The aliens take the raccoon, "evolve him" and given him a human persona in an attempt to make things less jarring for Quill. (Similar to how his comic origins were some aliens evolving a bunch of animals in order to provide comfort to a planet of mental patients)

2. Just make him an alien, with maybe Quill lampshading the fact he looks like a Raccoon.

MSzBav1.jpg

#31 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

Sometimes bad ponies make the best good ponies!

• Supporter
  • 6393 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:11 AM

QUOTE(ZacWilliam1 @ Jul 16 2012, 09:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Even aside from the contracts predating them again I don't think they really qualify as Xmen or Mutant relatd characters any more than Wolverine qualifies as Hulk supporting cast. They were allways a SHEILD spin off and space related spy group with no real link to the XUniverse concept-wise.

They were never a SHIELD spin off...they were tied in as a SHIELD group after the fact. They were created for Whedon's X-Men run. They have rarely appeared outside of X-Books. 2 of the Three main characters of the SWORD series were X-Men.

The X-Men have a long history of space stories. Far more than the Avengers (who rarely went into space, instead of having Space come to them). The Shi'ar and the Imperial Guard are almost certainly tied into the X-License.

However, given that SWORD was first created in 2004, it's quite likely that the old X-men contracts don't apply to it, as they predate the issue SWORD premiered in.

According to Wikipedia, Fox got the film rights in 1994, so that predates Azazel, Angel (girl), Darwin, all seen in First Class. But who knows..shurg

What each company has the movie rights too is a bit of a mystery...possibly even to them til they need lawyers to set things out.

#32 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17795 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:42 AM

QUOTE(Scavgraphics @ Jul 16 2012, 11:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They were never a SHIELD spin off...they were tied in as a SHIELD group after the fact. They were created for Whedon's X-Men run. They have rarely appeared outside of X-Books.

1) S.W.O.R.D. as a concept has ALWAYS been a S.H.E.I.L.D. spin off concept and Whedon himself has called it such in interviews. It's simply a S.H.E.I.L.D. spin off concept that first showed up in an Xbook. That doesn't necessarily tie it to their rights anymore than Wolvie is tied to the Hulk rights.

2) I think they've appeared quite a bit more outside of the X books then they did within it. They've been in a bunch of not-X Marvel stuff since Whedon's run. Neither their concept nor characters are really tied to mutants or Xmen in any way.

The X-Men have a long history of space stories. Far more than the Avengers.

I think I disagree with this as well. Avengers have had a metric Ton of adventures in space. I'm not gonna take the time to go through them all, but I'd be very surprised if things weren't pretty darn even on that front.

According to Wikipedia, Fox got the film rights in 1994, so that predates Azazel, Angel (girl), Darwin, all seen in First Class. But who knows..shurg

Yes but they're Mutants and Xmen. SWORD Isn't tied to either in composition or purpose.

-ZacWilliam, not saying it couldn't be tied with the Xmen rights, but I doubt it.

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 16 July 2012 - 10:42 AM.

#33 Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore
  • Citizen
  • 8156 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:08 PM

It's funny, I have mixed feelings about the Guardians of the Galaxy. I like all the characters...but I liked a lot of them better the way they used to be. I like Warlock as a loner, or at least a manipulative leader (the center of attention, at least). I like big, dumb Drax. I like Wendell Vaughn. Hell, I even like the 31st century GotG (not more than the current team, but still).

And it's one thing for the characters to change after years of comics, I'm cool with that. It's another to use this relatively recent version of the cosmic status quo for a movie, therefore cementing it as the most popular version among comic readers and the only version among non-readers.

Marvel's doing nothing WRONG, obviously, I just have mixed feelings.

Edited by Sean Whitmore, 18 July 2012 - 11:09 PM.

PSN: SeanWhitmore

Switch: SW-7452-6932-0513

3DS: 0490-6399-8582

I did a new video thing:
https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/159447-whos-the-right-arm/
And a fic thing:
https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/169332-do-no-harm-first-aid/

#34 chiasaur11

chiasaur11
  • Citizen
  • 3053 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:32 PM

QUOTE(Sean Whitmore @ Jul 19 2012, 12:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's funny, I have mixed feelings about the Guardians of the Galaxy. I like all the characters...but I liked a lot of them better the way they used to be. I like Warlock as a loner, or at least a manipulative leader (the center of attention, at least). I like big, dumb Drax. I like Wendell Vaughn. Hell, I even like the 31st century GotG (not more than the current team, but still).

And it's one thing for the characters to change after years of comics, I'm cool with that. It's another to use this relatively recent version of the cosmic status quo for a movie, therefore cementing it as the most popular version among comic readers and the only version among non-readers.

Marvel's doing nothing WRONG, obviously, I just have mixed feelings.

Vaughn came back.

He was even part of the Annihilators, the group that replaced the Guardians after half of them died in the whole Cancerverse thing.

...But you probably knew that already.

#35 Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore
  • Citizen
  • 8156 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:44 PM

Yup!

PSN: SeanWhitmore

Switch: SW-7452-6932-0513

3DS: 0490-6399-8582

I did a new video thing:
https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/159447-whos-the-right-arm/
And a fic thing:
https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/169332-do-no-harm-first-aid/

#36 (Deactivated) BB Shockwave

(Deactivated) BB Shockwave
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:58 AM

I am sorry, I can't help it, but being a mainly DC guy, when I hear "Guardians of the Galaxy" I can only think of little big-headed blue men in robes. icon-fire.gif

So, which one was first? 'Cause the whole concept of various alien races banded together into super-space-cops in uniform kinda sounds familiar, even without rings.

EDIT: looked into it. Wow, so Marvel feels confident to create a movie for a comic that ran only 2 years before being cancelled? They are pretty confident this will work, then...

#37 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17795 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:13 AM

Well, Guardians of the Galaxy as a concept has been around since the 70s and had a long running series in the 90s. It's really only this particular take on them that's recent.

It was a very good series and the characters were quite popular with Marvel fans. It's ending was more because of larger factors going on in the Marvel Cosmic sector I think. They were part of several huge Cosmic event crossovers that had been building for years and so got swallowed by Big Events which wiped out some of their main characters and then their writter's, having at last tied up the Marvel Cosmic saga they had been building for years moved on.

Marvel's brought them back now, with the building hype, though there's been no explanation of how some of the dead ones are back.

-ZacWilliam, they're really almost nothing like the GL Corps though. They've always been a small group, and are self appointed, with no unifying powers. If the GL are space cops the GoG are more Space Neighborhood watch. With a giant gun toting Raccoon.

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 08 August 2012 - 08:14 AM.

#38 Undead Scottsman

Undead Scottsman

THANOSCOPTER

• Citizen
  • 10542 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:16 PM

Yeah, the Nova Corps are, or at least were, the Green Lantern style space cop organization wherein everyone gets a unified power set to help police the universe.

Guardians of the Galaxy are basically space Avengers, wherein a bunch of aliens of various powers and power levels are thrown together due to greater circumstances and becoming a team because of it.

Also, the recent GotG run may have only lasted a couple of years, but like the Avengers, the characters that make up the team were around a long time before the team formed.

MSzBav1.jpg

#39 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.

• Citizen
  • 9059 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:39 PM

QUOTE(ZacWilliam1 @ Jul 16 2012, 08:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2) I think they've appeared quite a bit more outside of the X books then they did within it. They've been in a bunch of not-X Marvel stuff since Whedon's run. Neither their concept nor characters are really tied to mutants or Xmen in any way.

Not to mention that SWORD and Agent Brand showed up in the Avengers EMH cartoon.

#40 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36717 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:46 PM

QUOTE(Jealous Beauty @ Aug 12 2012, 10:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(ZacWilliam1 @ Jul 16 2012, 08:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not to mention that SWORD and Agent Brand showed up in the Avengers EMH cartoon.

so did doom, FF, and Spidey, and others that might be on a movie no-list.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno