Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Dracula : (24 April 2017 - 04:10 PM)

bot can not be straight

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 April 2017 - 01:49 PM)

Hey man, don't dongshame.

@  Benbot : (24 April 2017 - 12:32 PM)

#crotchproblems

@  Robowang : (24 April 2017 - 11:53 AM)

Menasor's problem is that his crotch is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too high. I couldn't care less about those other issues. If your dong is a chestburster, something ain't right.

@  BlackMax : (24 April 2017 - 11:40 AM)

Seems like all the combiners have an issue like that, the legs can never be completely straight in combined mode, the finished big bot is always looming eerily or hip-thrusting.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (24 April 2017 - 11:39 AM)

I doubt having an integrated trailer would have swayed me into buying CW Motormaster. But what definitely put me off were Internet reports of awful hip ratcheting.

@  BlackMax : (24 April 2017 - 11:36 AM)

I might also mention that ~not~ being a big truck has worked for the Internet pretty well.

@  unluckiness : (24 April 2017 - 11:32 AM)

I moaned about Motormaster because his combiner mode was awful

@  Rycochet : (24 April 2017 - 11:31 AM)

People moaned about the choices made during Combiner wars.that meant characters like Motormaster/Menasor weren't G1G1G1.

@  BlackMax : (24 April 2017 - 11:23 AM)

He could always be a very small red truck.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 April 2017 - 10:59 AM)

But how will you know it's Optimus Prime if he's not a big red truck?

@  Broadside : (24 April 2017 - 10:20 AM)

Personally, I'm not a fan of the extreme-accuracy trend. The character choices are kind of sure-fine-whatever, but outside of stuff like Alpha Trion that's a huge divergence from the source material, there doesn't feel like there's much imagination in the designs any more.

@  Pennpenn : (24 April 2017 - 05:03 AM)

Because you might as well start as you mean to go on?

@  Nevermore : (24 April 2017 - 04:16 AM)

It does. Preview image is Legion's penis tongue.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (24 April 2017 - 04:15 AM)

Hold it. Please tell me Kiss Players doesn't have a GoBox.

@  Autobot Bubbs : (24 April 2017 - 03:10 AM)

That is epically messed up

@  Autobot Bubbs : (24 April 2017 - 03:10 AM)

GURD.... youtube just auto-played a new trailer for the Alien flick.... featuring John Denver's 'country roads' as BG music....

@  Noideaforaname : (24 April 2017 - 12:37 AM)

The Generations lineup should be decided by hitting Random Page on the wiki. "Next one is... Crankstart." 'Alright, I love the Scavengers!' "No, no, CrankSTART. The repaint of a repaint of a repaint of a Scout version of a Deluxe based on a background vehicle from the Live Action film." 'Oh'

@  RichardT1977 : (23 April 2017 - 11:31 PM)

After we get a couple of Pretenders. And a Titans Return Star Saber (not a difficult retool from Galvatron).

@  BlackMax : (23 April 2017 - 10:21 PM)

I really do like all the attention to the 80s toys, being from that era myself. However, I would be really happy if (let's say post Trypticon) the Generations line turns to the 2001 RiD line, Beast Wars stuff, and moves forwarda bit.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (23 April 2017 - 08:19 PM)

I'm curious because I'm not an 80s kid nor have I ever held an actual 80s toy in my hands, but I'm pretty sure a mathematically significant portion of 80s kids here do have a like for cartoon accuracy.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (23 April 2017 - 08:15 PM)

How much of this community favors versus not favors the current Hasbro design team's general trend of accuracy to classic 1980s toys and lack of attention to any other era of Transformers?

@  Fruitloop Mu... : (23 April 2017 - 07:36 PM)

Telly, ah, got it.

@  Evac : (23 April 2017 - 06:41 PM)

"You can do magic things!" "It's called evil, kid."

@  Foffy : (23 April 2017 - 06:27 PM)

Potatoes don't have ears. That's corn.

@  Telly : (23 April 2017 - 06:27 PM)

little furry potatos

@  Evac : (23 April 2017 - 06:24 PM)

This potato's got big ears...

@  Foffy : (23 April 2017 - 06:18 PM)

The potato rebellion will be swift and brutal.

@  Waspinator : (23 April 2017 - 03:48 PM)

IT'S WATCHING US

@  Telly : (23 April 2017 - 03:34 PM)

yeah, at the time im posting this, theres a "2" next to it and me and fruitloop are shown to be the 2 people reading it

@  Telly : (23 April 2017 - 03:33 PM)

i think it just means that someone is reading the shoutbox

@  Fruitloop Mu... : (23 April 2017 - 03:25 PM)

Re The Rise of Cobra: I like bad movies and action sequences involving elite ninjas, so I watched / fast-forwarded through it on Netflix a couple of years ago.

@  Fruitloop Mu... : (23 April 2017 - 03:23 PM)

Can anyone tell me why the Shoutbox has a notification (a "1") when I login sometimes? I scroll through and don't see anything addressed to me. What does it mean?

@  ▲ndrusi : (23 April 2017 - 01:33 PM)

I miss the 2000s when my local stores got new toys more than once a year.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (23 April 2017 - 01:09 PM)

I mean, it might be hard to not know about something before release at all, but the degree of familiarity that you described is only attainable if you intentionally seek things out.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (23 April 2017 - 12:59 PM)

That's at least partially your own fault. The "in motion" part sounds like you even watched videos, which require conscious effort, unlike pictures that might be hard to even avoid.

@  Bass X0 : (23 April 2017 - 12:22 PM)

I miss the 80s where the first time I ever saw Transformers toys was on the toy shelves and hadn't already saw the toy from every angle and in motion several months beforehand. It made seeing a toy in the store something very special to me that I can't recapture now.

@  Evac : (23 April 2017 - 12:14 PM)

I could see Generations becoming a TRU exclusive line, now that I think about it.

@  Xellos : (23 April 2017 - 12:14 PM)

Also, Generations weathered AOE, and the TLK line seems to be short as well, so I think we'll still be seeing some room for Generations.

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 April 2017 - 12:11 PM)

Titans aren't really wide-released anyway. About the only brick-and-mortar chain to reliably carry them is Toys R Us.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (23 April 2017 - 12:08 PM)

Isn't Trypticon still a long way from now?

@  Evac : (23 April 2017 - 11:57 AM)

They wouldn't let a big-ticket item like that get cancelled.

@  Evac : (23 April 2017 - 11:57 AM)

Counter argument: They still haven't released Trypticon.

@  unluckiness : (23 April 2017 - 09:25 AM)

But yeah, not having any big-name media means it's the most likely, although the premiere series packaging might convince retailers to dedicate more shelf space, kinda like SW Black.

@  unluckiness : (23 April 2017 - 09:24 AM)

I'd expect Generations to be the sacrificial lamb since they can't possibly stock RID any less.

@  RichardT1977 : (23 April 2017 - 09:06 AM)

I'm thinking the subline that doesn't have a movie or TV show will be the one on the cutting board.

@  RichardT1977 : (23 April 2017 - 09:05 AM)

Back to TF toys: the question is whether or not retailers will be willing to commit the peg/shelf space for three sublines. And which one will be sidelined if space is at a premium.

@  unluckiness : (23 April 2017 - 06:28 AM)

No idea.

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 April 2017 - 03:40 AM)

Sometimes the Shoutbox takes a little longer to catch up to a new avatar.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (23 April 2017 - 03:00 AM)

In the Shoutbox I'm seeing the pink thing instead of that guy with the weird eyes.

Photo

Flipping Convention Exclusives?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 D Buster Prime

D Buster Prime

WTCHOP?!!!

• Retired Staff
  • 23416 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:20 PM

I'm probably painting myself as a "scalper" for even asking this, but I'm considering selling off some of my (er...my wife's) Botcon stuff in order to help make back some of the costs of the trip.

Do convention goers ever unload their exclusives right at the convention itself? Do any of the dealers regularly buy them for a fixed price? I noticed that BBTS has preorders for the convention exclusives, and I would think that they get their supply from people attending the convention.

This isn't an offer to sell to anybody here. I'm just trying to get a handle on what customary practice is. Ideally, I could get rid of some stuff right at the convention, so I can have more room in my luggage for the other stuff I buy for myself. I really hope I can get some good deals on Arms Microns! Yay!!!!

VOTE FOR SNAPDRAGON: GETTING KRUNK SINCE 1987!

card-snapdragon.jpg

#2 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 10785 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:25 PM

QUOTE(D Buster Prime @ Apr 12 2012, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm probably painting myself as a "scalper" for even asking this, but I'm considering selling off some of my (er...my wife's) Botcon stuff in order to help make back some of the costs of the trip.

Do convention goers ever unload their exclusives right at the convention itself? Do any of the dealers regularly buy them for a fixed price? I noticed that BBTS has preorders for the convention exclusives, and I would think that they get their supply from people attending the convention.

This isn't an offer to sell to anybody here. I'm just trying to get a handle on what customary practice is. Ideally, I could get rid of some stuff right at the convention, so I can have more room in my luggage for the other stuff I buy for myself. I really hope I can get some good deals on Arms Microns! Yay!!!!

I can't speak to the "fixed price" nature of dealers buying exclusives at the convention, but a great many of them will offer store credit.

#3 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 33678 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:23 AM

I think BBTS isn't going to be there, right? I sold my bagged set to them in 2008. I had to look harder for someone that would buy SG Blurr without whoever he came with, but I found it. You might get more on eBay, but it's pretty handy to hand them off at the Con and someone with a table has a good chance of finding a buyer and flipping it quick themselves.

#4 Walky

Walky

STRONG GRUDGE

• Citizen
  • 36395 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:19 AM

I "flipped" my clear Mirage so I could buy a Glit/Sundor/Rosanna set back in 2007. I got cash for that at the time. Dunno if that's as common these days.

In a twist of irony, buying that set resulted in SG Ravage, which resulted in me being more engrossed in SG, which resulted in me purchasing the OTHER clear Mirage for more than I originally paid for the Kiss Players set.

Dammit.

#5 Daggor

Daggor

Rogue Decepticon

• Supporter
  • 2199 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:04 AM

Have no shame - I have flipped several sets over the years to offset costs, and it has been a common practice. Some even put Ebay auctions up before the con.
Follow me on Twitter, why not? @dopponline

#6 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Staff
  • 50363 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:22 AM

A lot of people seem to be trying to sell the boxset (not with much success it seems like).

You'll probably have a better shot with the at-con exclusives.

Edited by MrBlud, 13 April 2012 - 07:22 AM.

card-strongarm.jpg

#7 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 10785 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:37 AM

QUOTE(MrBlud @ Apr 13 2012, 05:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A lot of people seem to be trying to sell the boxset (not with much success it seems like).

You'll probably have a better shot with the at-con exclusives.

I, personally, find pre-convention sales distasteful (to say nothing of the fact that they skirt eBay's rules, although the current batch are technically legal, since the convention is now less than 30 days away). I don't know if I'm the only one, but I'd be curious to see what sales, even of the box set, look like after the convention. Especially if they do actually sell out from Fun Pub between now and then.

#8 Year Zero

Year Zero

New dawn rises. Behold the Lord of flies.

• Supporter
  • 31141 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:19 AM

Agreed. I have no issue with post-con exclusive flipping, and I'll tell you why: these aren't retail items. Part of my distaste for scalping revolves around taking toys out of the hands of kids, whether literally or figuratively.

"Don’t you see? Violence doesn’t end violence. It extends it." - The Tenth Doctor

#9 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 10785 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:21 AM

QUOTE(^0^CORVUS^o^ @ Apr 13 2012, 07:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agreed. I have no issue with post-con exclusive flipping, and I'll tell you why: these aren't retail items. Part of my distaste for scalping revolves around taking toys out of the hands of kids, whether literally or figuratively.

Hey, Walky! Have you ever done a Shortpacked! where some jerk snatched a rare toy out of a kid's hand?

#10 Walky

Walky

STRONG GRUDGE

• Citizen
  • 36395 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:42 AM

Not yet, no.

#11 Year Zero

Year Zero

New dawn rises. Behold the Lord of flies.

• Supporter
  • 31141 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:57 AM

Yeah, you need to, since we hear anecdotal tales of people literally taking a toy from a child's hand so they can buy it. Get to work! icon-fire.gif

"Don’t you see? Violence doesn’t end violence. It extends it." - The Tenth Doctor

#12 D Buster Prime

D Buster Prime

WTCHOP?!!!

• Retired Staff
  • 23416 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:15 PM

Would you recommend against buying additional loose sets for flipping as well?

VOTE FOR SNAPDRAGON: GETTING KRUNK SINCE 1987!

card-snapdragon.jpg

#13 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

Praise be to Stakeout.

• Supporter
  • 24276 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:21 PM

I expected this thread to be complaining about exclusives, with "flipping" being self-censoring.

QUOTE(orionpax44 @ Jun 24 2012, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Childrens toys? whaa the boxes seriously say ages 5+ I consider myself the plus.
QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Sep 9 2012, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're talking to ▲ndrusi. Assume everything that he posts is snark.

#14 Walky

Walky

STRONG GRUDGE

• Citizen
  • 36395 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:22 PM

The once or twice I took the time and effort to buy a loose set to sell it, it sold for about what I bought it for. So I don't anymore.

Morally, I don't see any problem with it. I don't think buying a loose set to sell is conceivably "scalping," as to get one you have to be buying a box set anyway. You're not robbing that loose set from a person who won't otherwise be getting a set. If anything, you're spreading the toys around wider than they would have been otherwise, and likely more cheaply than the boxed set.

#15 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 10785 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:36 PM

QUOTE(Code of Walky @ Apr 13 2012, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The once or twice I took the time and effort to buy a loose set to sell it, it sold for about what I bought it for. So I don't anymore.

Morally, I don't see any problem with it. I don't think buying a loose set to sell is conceivably "scalping," as to get one you have to be buying a box set anyway. You're not robbing that loose set from a person who won't otherwise be getting a set. If anything, you're spreading the toys around wider than they would have been otherwise, and likely more cheaply than the boxed set.

Personally, I buy a loose set to keep, but sell the box set (usually for about what I bought it for, but sometimes more). I do this mostly so I can get the toys for the loose set price, since one can't buy loose sets without having purchased a box set.

And, frankly, I don't care about the boxes. They're beautiful, sure, but they take up tons of space. Actually, they're TOO beautiful. If I kept them (as I do for club exclusives), I tend to feel obligated to keep my toys in them, and I generally prefer to keep toys on display.

#16 Walky

Walky

STRONG GRUDGE

• Citizen
  • 36395 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:08 PM

As I pile up more and more box set boxes, my brain is warring over whether adding to my pile is kinda sweet-ass or whether I'd rather have the space.

It's the BW Dinobot mold effect.

#17 Solarstorm

Solarstorm
  • Citizen
  • 7377 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:51 PM

QUOTE(Code of Walky @ Apr 13 2012, 02:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I "flipped" my clear Mirage so I could buy a Glit/Sundor/Rosanna set back in 2007. I got cash for that at the time. Dunno if that's as common these days.

I did the same. Though mine was via Ebay, though. I had the auction set before heading out for dinner/the Stan Bush concert. It sold in a few hours for $100. I'm surprised it sold so fast, as it was the worst toy of the 2007 convention.

Edited by Solarstorm, 13 April 2012 - 02:51 PM.

"The way YOU are built lends itself to similarly big weapons. Magnus by comparison is a girly man."--Bainreese

#18 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

It's a nice day for a...

• Citizen
  • 8429 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:53 PM

The sooner you list your toys, the more you'll get for them. You might even be able to do a high BIN price. Some people have more money than patience. The going price tends to drop shortly after the convention, and it takes a while for it to start to go back up.

I did pretty well selling a G2 Redux bagged set piece by piece. I didn't do so well with Wings of Honor, but I got back what I paid for it. Those are the only sets I've tried to sell.

Twitter:  @The_Waspinator

http://the-waspinator.tumblr.com

#19 Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore
  • Citizen
  • 7362 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

QUOTE(G.B.Blackrock @ Apr 13 2012, 11:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Personally, I buy a loose set to keep, but sell the box set (usually for about what I bought it for, but sometimes more). I do this mostly so I can get the toys for the loose set price, since one can't buy loose sets without having purchased a box set.

And, frankly, I don't care about the boxes. They're beautiful, sure, but they take up tons of space. Actually, they're TOO beautiful. If I kept them (as I do for club exclusives), I tend to feel obligated to keep my toys in them, and I generally prefer to keep toys on display.

Damn, that's a good idea.

I was just going to toss the box this year instead of shipping it home, but if I could sell it to someone and keep a loose set for myself, it would feel a lot less like a waste (because they are beautiful, but when you have 4 or 5 of them it gets ridiculous).
3DS Friend Code: 0490-6399-8582

#20 Might Gaine

Might Gaine

ARMS UP!! \(^_^)/

• Retired Staff
  • 12895 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:11 PM

It is not frowned upon, especially for just one or two of each item.

Sign up at ToyStoreUpdates.com to get email updates when new Transformers come into stock at Toys R Us, Target, Walmart, and Hasbro Toy Shop.