Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Sabrblade : (13 August 2020 - 10:31 PM)

Turns out the President set the whole thing up as a publicity stunt. Very rude.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (13 August 2020 - 08:11 PM)

The ninjas will go away, it will be fine.

@  Paladin : (13 August 2020 - 08:02 PM)

listen; i'm sure there were very fine ninjas on both sides.

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 August 2020 - 07:50 PM)

My thoughts and prayers go out to the ninjas.

@  Cybersnark : (13 August 2020 - 06:36 PM)

Can we just let them have him?

@  Bass X0 : (13 August 2020 - 06:18 PM)

The president has been kidnapped by ninjas. Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the president?

@  Otaku : (13 August 2020 - 03:08 PM)

At first, I obviously thought I was correct.  Then I thought perhaps the spelling had changed for some reason.  Copyright/trademark law is weird, ya know?  Now I just accept I goofed. XD

@  Otaku : (13 August 2020 - 03:07 PM)

See, that one directly applies to me.  Apparently, I'd been misreading and mispronouncing it wrong for over 30 years... and I still slip and do it the wrong way much of the time.

@  Paladin : (13 August 2020 - 07:37 AM)

for the Internet age its the "Berenstain" Effect.

@  Bass X0 : (12 August 2020 - 01:49 PM)

Can you root for what The Rock is cooking!?

@  -LittleAutob... : (12 August 2020 - 10:35 AM)

sOmEoNe NoTiCeD-

@  wonko the sane? : (12 August 2020 - 07:37 AM)

I am the only one rooting for the rock these days?

@  Maximus Ambus : (12 August 2020 - 12:37 AM)

Sour grapes for the next decade until Apophis hits.

@  Hg Dragon : (11 August 2020 - 11:26 PM)

Thank yoo for vatching hydroolic pthress chan-nel.

@  Hg Dragon : (11 August 2020 - 11:19 PM)

Hey, do you have any grapes?

@  Otaku : (11 August 2020 - 05:18 PM)

I dunno... it sounds kind of quackers to me.

@  -LittleAutob... : (11 August 2020 - 05:17 PM)

That would be nice....

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 August 2020 - 04:36 PM)

I wish I could just sit by a pond and watch ducks for a while.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 August 2020 - 03:52 AM)

Others say Joe sat down at this pond next to these ducks but really there's just no place in this world for an old man and his ducks.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:48 PM)

Even worse when I can produce those verifiable facts at a later point, and then the other person simply claims the argument was the other way round (as in, I was actually arguing their position and vice versa).

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:47 PM)

I can argue with people about my versus their memory of events when verifiable facts are not readily available, though, and I get really annoyed when I'm capable of presenting a precise, step-by-step summary with multiple key points that can be used for future verification, and the other person just goes "nope, wrong" without going into detail.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:45 PM)

I forget things, and I misremember things. But when presented with verifiable facts, my reaction is more like "Huh, could have sworn it was like that", not "this reality is not my own".

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:43 PM)

I have an extremely good memory (which I have proven time and again), and even I can be mistaken.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 August 2020 - 06:40 PM)

Might be worth pointing out that it only became "Mandela Effect" and not just "I remembered this wrong" when a conspiracy theorist insisted it was proof of alternate timelines.

@  Otaku : (10 August 2020 - 06:29 PM)

Incorrectly remembering Nelson Mandela's fate may be uniquely American... but is it really that strange to get South African political history wrong when you're no where near South Africa?

@  Otaku : (10 August 2020 - 06:29 PM)

I always assumed the Mandela Effect was a "human thing", not an American thing.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 August 2020 - 02:03 PM)

Then there are people who outright manufacture memories for whatever reason.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (10 August 2020 - 01:13 PM)

The human brain is so flaky that it is extremely unlikely that a given person does NOT have any false memories.

@  OverDrive73 : (10 August 2020 - 01:05 PM)

Perhaps it's simple word association the movie Sinbad and then our minds apply the same memories to a man named Sinbad.

@  OverDrive73 : (10 August 2020 - 01:04 PM)

The Mandela Effect is the same as people remembering Sinbad in a movie where he played a genie... Of which he never did.

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 09:36 AM)

People that believe Mandela Effect things would rather come up with any number of reasons as to why their version doesn't have any actual evidence(like alternate timelines collapsing into our own) than just admit they remembered something wrong

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Sort of. It's more that when presented with a verifiable fact, they double down because it's what they believe instead of changing their minds

@  ▲ndrusi : (10 August 2020 - 09:25 AM)

"I could have sworn that ______."

@  ▲ndrusi : (10 August 2020 - 09:25 AM)

I'm not arguing with either of those two statements, but they're not really connected. Mandela Effect is, to oversimplify, people being widely mistaken about what they think *is* a verifiable fact. Nothing to do with opinions.

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 08:52 AM)

Pretty sure the Mandela Effect in general is an American thing. Opinion > Verifiable Facts is sadly a pretty American thing

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:27 AM)

Ask these people how Apartheid ended according to their recollection, and I'm sure they'll draw a blank.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:25 AM)

You got two black anti-Apartheid activists who were imprisoned by the oppressive regime. One died, the other was Nelson Mandela. It's not a far stretch that Americans who don't know many details about the history of other countries would mix up the two.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:24 AM)

My own theory is that these people are simply mixing up Nelson Mandela and Steve Biko, another South African anti-Apartheid activist, who did indeed die in police custody in 1977. There was an Oscar-nominated movie about his life starring Denzel Washington that came out in 1987, the same time frame these people claim remembering Mandela dying.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:17 AM)

I met a few people from South Africa, and they either never heard of the phenomenon at all, or only know of it from the internet. Apparently, it's completely unknown in South Africa, and it might even be entirely limited to the United States.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:16 AM)

So does anyone remember the "Mandela Effect"? I'm talking specifically about the original case where many people vividly remember Nelson Mandela dying in prison in the 1980s.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (10 August 2020 - 03:16 AM)

Crisis of Corona.

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 August 2020 - 06:16 PM)

Which crisis crossover are we on now? I lost track.

@  Rycochet : (09 August 2020 - 05:18 PM)

Much of the past decade has been the part of the comic series where less than stellar authors have driven the series into the ground and the editors are getting ready to either do a big multi issue crossover, leading to a reboot.

@  Bass X0 : (09 August 2020 - 02:28 PM)

At this point I've just decided to consider 2020 "not canon."

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 August 2020 - 02:18 PM)

'member Pepperidge Farm?

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 August 2020 - 02:10 PM)

Before the 'member berries there was Pepperidge farm. Pepperidge farm remembers.

@  OverDrive73 : (09 August 2020 - 12:21 PM)

>>>Shameless Plug<<< FYI. posted the last part of Quest for Tires in Allspark Pictures

@  SG Roadbuster : (08 August 2020 - 01:53 PM)

@Nevermore yes.

@  Nevermore : (08 August 2020 - 09:11 AM)

Is $30 a good deal for Subscription Service Breakdown?

@  Trpodeca : (08 August 2020 - 06:24 AM)

Oh dear God no. Twitter has changed it's default layout to the terrible new one. Why waste so much space on the left?

Photo

Ultimate Spider-Man

194 replies to this topic

#181 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17989 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 14 March 2016 - 06:24 AM

Colson has been on the Spider-Man toon from the start. It doesn't mean it's in continuity with anything it just means they've become recognizable enough Marvel characters to show up in different continuities. They exist in the regular Marvel comic books now too.

-ZacWilliam, now Hey Jesse, that is in continuity. ;p
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#182 AgentOrange

AgentOrange
  • Citizen
  • 1408 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 14 March 2016 - 07:55 AM

Talk about "did Marvel make something stupid today?" here...

-Even though the original cast had barely any character development, they dropped them to the sidelines to include a random assortment of Spiderman-lookalikes from all sorts of continuities. Like the already established Iron Spider (who remains a one-note nobody, don't even know what his name is he was so forgettable), the now Agent Venom-playing (but symbiote-less) Flash Thompson, that Ultimate Marvel Spiderman kid Miguel who I still don't get is not in his own reality, and now the latest idiocy... Ben Reilly. Yes, they went there and threw him in, WITHOUT any Clone Saga or explanation, he is simply said to be one of Doc Ock's experiments. He is gruff and  constantly angry and a loner who wants REVENGE and I don't think we even saw him out of uniform. Oh and he has stingers on his hands, like a poor man's Wolverine.

Speaking of Ock, he now works for Hydra and if possible, became even uglier. And has a more silly outfit from his "unwashed homeless man" look, as in a bald weird guy encased in a metal sarcophagus with only his head sticking out. Yeah, sure, because 4 tentacles means you don't need arms and legs... oh wait, now you have the exact same number of limbs as a human, congrats doc!

They are also randomly recruiting more (in)famous characters like Cloak and Dagger or Squirrel Girl only to have them basically be around and never get any character development.

Oh and their latest effort to boost viewership? They added Fitz and Simmons from Agents of Shield. Meaning this is in contuinity with that show? But... ugh that just makes my head hurts.

This is more BB Shockwave thought something stupid than Marvel did something stupid.

1.  Flash DOES have the Venom symbiote.

2.  They dedicated an entire episode to bringing Miles into the main tv series reality and explaining why he couldn't go home.

3.  We don't know who Scarlet Spider is yet, but his costume and personality are clearly Kaine's, not Ben Reilly's.  And he has stingers.

ScarletSpider_11_TheGroup_010.jpg

4.  Hydra logo aside, that's what Doctor Octopus looks like in the comics.  They're not just making shit up.

2197026-droctopus.jpeg

Edited by AgentOrange, 14 March 2016 - 09:09 AM.

You may be a lover but you ain't no dancer

#183 Eneon

Eneon
  • Citizen
  • 6166 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 09:02 AM

"Kid Arachnid"(not a great super hero name) is Miles Morales. Miguel O'hara is Spider-man 2099.

Changing Doc Ock's look to that makes me wonder if they're setting up a Superior Spider-man plot. SInce that's what he looked like when that all went down in the comics.

As much as I love having a Spider Sentai I do wish it wasn't at the expense of the other heroes basically becoming screen filler.

Also wish that Amadeus and Flash had more personality than "Super Nerd" and "Super Jock" respectively.

Edited by Silent_Magnus, 14 March 2016 - 09:05 AM.

#184 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17989 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 01:17 PM

As much as I like the idea of a Spider Sentai it needs a Leopardon.

-ZacWilliam, although I think everything Spidey needs Leopardon.

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 14 March 2016 - 01:45 PM.

#185 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 9556 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 02:57 AM

Despite BB-S's meltdown I'm actually enjoying the show as it brings in the new concept from the more recent era of Spidey comics. I'll admit I'm not thrilled how it comes to be a lot of the time but to see some of the concepts leap from page to screen is cool. But that's not exactly how Ock is currently looking like in the comics. But it was the last one he had before mindjacking Pete for a year.But I feel Vulture and Scarlet are leading up to Otto's own clone saga. Because it's pretty obvious by now Otto made Vulture from himself.

Switch code: SW-6538-7795-1972

#186 Daith

Daith

• Supporter
  • 9556 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 11:59 PM

So the initial Sinister 6 arc has concluded and I gotta admit they have really turned the show around. Sure it's still kind of a modern Spidey and his Amazing Friends but they comedy has taken a turnaround and lost some of the sillier elements while turning up the action and drama.  And while it's sure become a Spider Sentai team and the other SHIELD academy recruits have taken a back seat (Save for Squirrel Girl as a constant background member, go figure) the focus on Scarlet has been great... until this episode.

Spoiler

Still I hope we aren't done with his storyline as it's got more to be done.

#187 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35142 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 01:32 PM

I thought it was absolutely dire. Did the show need ANOTHER bloody story about what a great thing teamwork is?

Spoiler

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

#188 Daith

Daith

• Supporter
  • 9556 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 04:09 PM

Teamwork is generally overused comic book trope to begin with so I'm not going to fault it there since it's just the nature of the genre.

#189 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35142 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 04:15 PM

It's just the way they seem to be hammering the same themes over and over without much to differentiate them. The events may be different but the execution is overly simplistic and repetitive falling back on "Peter, you're such a good leader" and "we're stronger cuz we have friends!"

I dunno. It just didn't work for me.

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

#190 Daith

Daith

• Supporter
  • 9556 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 01:55 AM

Well despite my opinion of the show doing a 180 recently, this is the last season of Ultimate Spider-Man with it slated to end in January. It was a rough start to the series but I think it turned around. But despite Ultimate Spidey going away, later next year they plan on restarting with a new "Spider-Man" series with a back to basics approach. I'm not sure I like this as they have a decently cohesive animated universe currently and rebooting Spidey from square one again disrupts that. But obviously they plan on making a take more related to the MCU Spider-man with S-M:Homecoming coming out next year so it was bound to happen. On the other hand maybe we'll get something like Spectacular again.... 

Edited by Daith, 09 October 2016 - 01:55 AM.

#191 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35142 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 12:54 PM

"Decently cohesive"

There's more continuity errors than I can NAME. It's the exact opposite of cohesive.

#192 Daith

Daith

• Supporter
  • 9556 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 02:55 PM

Ok whatever. I really don't pay much mind to the other shows much. I just know they do "Try" to overlap at times.

On a positive spin the current Amazing Spider-Man writer and the Superior Spider-man story-line Dan Slott has been brought onto the new show as a Consulting Producer.

#193 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17989 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 03:32 PM

For a series of 4 or five seperate cartoon shows over an equal number or more of years they are DEFINITELY "Decently Cohesive."

The fact that they've made an effort to seem like a cohesive universe at all over that many shows and years gets them that.

-ZacWilliam, it's not like you couldn't point out a million continuity errors in Marvel Comics in general, and this sort of thing is a lot rarer among toons.

#194 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35142 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 03:59 PM

Compared to numerous shows that have done better with it over varying periods of time, the Disney XD Marvel shows are embarrassing continuity wise.

#195 Ironbite

Ironbite

REJOICE! THE KING OF TIME HAS ARRIVED!

• Supporter
  • 29065 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 09 October 2016 - 05:04 PM

Really?  Name 'em.

xC9l3eY.gif

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic