Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (30 April 2017 - 06:39 PM)

Damn the shoutbox won't accept Asian script.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (30 April 2017 - 06:39 PM)

許されざる者よ!

@  Paladin : (30 April 2017 - 06:35 PM)

he's also addicted to Oreos. so, two weaknesses. :p

@  Foffy : (30 April 2017 - 06:34 PM)

I remember Justice League left out his eye beams and played down his strength a bit, which I presume was done to help deifferentiate him from Superman.

@  Verity Carlo : (30 April 2017 - 06:32 PM)

There's a reason why he's considered one of the most powerful of the JLA. Only one they can depend on to defeat him is Plastic Man, due to his brain's malleability.

@  Evac : (30 April 2017 - 06:27 PM)

Wow, reading about all his powers, he's actually kind of overpowered aside from his weakness to fire.

@  Evac : (30 April 2017 - 06:23 PM)

Martian Manhunter can disguise himself as anyone, shrink, grow, become invisible, stretch out his limbs, pop out extra arms, change his arms into blades, do all sorts of psychic stuff...

@  Evac : (30 April 2017 - 06:22 PM)

Which is kind of dumb. Aside from being a super-strong flying alien with eye beams that wears a cape and has super senses, there's a lot of differences.

@  Paladin : (30 April 2017 - 06:18 PM)

the higher-ups at WB apparently consider Martian Manhunter redundant- a "green Superman." that''s suposedly why hes left out.

@  Evac : (30 April 2017 - 06:16 PM)

I wouldn't mind seeing them put Steel in one of the DCEU movies, as long as they're better than the last three.

@  Evac : (30 April 2017 - 06:12 PM)

Really, he should be one of the easiest JL members to cast. You can take any guy of any race who's muscular enough for the role. It'd probably piss off the purists who want everything to be as close to the comics as possible, but you can't do anything without pissing them off.

@  Evac : (30 April 2017 - 06:10 PM)

Foffy's right. I mean, they don't have to keep Martian Manhunter white. He can disguise himself as any race.

@  Foffy : (30 April 2017 - 06:08 PM)

@Paladin I feel like Martian Manhunter would probably be played by a black actor anyway, though? I mean, his VAs in both the DCAU and The Batman were african american. Also, movies are a separate medium from comics.

@  Evac : (30 April 2017 - 06:08 PM)

He's, like, the least interesting Earth GL.

@  Evac : (30 April 2017 - 06:08 PM)

Hal Jordan is honestly a really boring character.

@  Verity Carlo : (30 April 2017 - 06:04 PM)

I mean, I don't hate Aquaman or Hal Jordan, but I like Martian Manhunter a lot more.

@  Evac : (30 April 2017 - 06:02 PM)

Meh, if I were then I would have just used John Stewart as Green Lantern, but I'd also have used Wally West instead of Barry Allen.

@  Paladin : (30 April 2017 - 05:59 PM)

because then WB has a reason/excuse to actually cast a black guy in the movie.

@  Verity Carlo : (30 April 2017 - 05:52 PM)

Nah, just stick him on a Wildstorm title, great idea.

@  Verity Carlo : (30 April 2017 - 05:52 PM)

Like, it's nice have Cybog getting his dues, but you could've have had him replaced Aquaman, not the guy who's literally been on every incarnation of the team and is it's heart and soul.

@  Verity Carlo : (30 April 2017 - 05:51 PM)

Why on the New 52, Martian Manhunter isn't one of the finding JLA members.

@  Verity Carlo : (30 April 2017 - 05:50 PM)

You know what I'll never understand?

@  NotVeryKnightly : (30 April 2017 - 05:01 PM)

There are shops with lots of pre-owned stuff like Mandarake, so it doesn't necessarily need to be retail, depending on where he's going.

@  Msol : (30 April 2017 - 04:19 PM)

Every other MP I want I have. I wonder how cheap Inferno is at retail...

@  Msol : (30 April 2017 - 04:19 PM)

I wonder if Star Saber is still around at retail. I don't know what it all looks like over there.

@  Foffy : (30 April 2017 - 04:05 PM)

Ask them to bring back a real live japanese person for you.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (30 April 2017 - 04:01 PM)

I'd say "any TF you don't already have" but I guess that's too general.

@  Msol : (30 April 2017 - 03:46 PM)

So hey I've got a buddy going to Japan for a vacation. What would be a good thing for him to bring back for me on the cheap? I've already got MP-36 so I'm not sure what else would worthwile...

@  Foffy : (30 April 2017 - 12:11 PM)

*Clicks on link* Ooh, that is a lovely webcomic, thank you. I'm going to have to bookmark this.

@  Rycochet : (30 April 2017 - 10:42 AM)

Breaking Cat News is a pretty awesome webcomic.

@  Evac : (30 April 2017 - 09:49 AM)

Brawl in the Family's my favorite webcomic.

@  Evac : (30 April 2017 - 09:48 AM)

You're a penguin, Dedede! You're a grumpy, grouchy guy! Your aggravating antics even sicken Sakurai, Dedede-EE! The only game you deserve is on the PHILLIPS CD-I! You're a mean king, Dedede! You've got Tektites in your smile! You've got all the wrath of Ganondorf, but only half the style, Dedede-EE! You'd even steal a painting of A SEASICK CROCODILE! I think I hate you, Dedede! You pathetic, putrid punk! You're as rancid as a Redead in a landfill full of junk, Dedede-EE! You miserable end-boss, you make me sick! And you can't even keep a pink puffball out of your hair! Three words that describe you best would be "stink, STANK, STUNK!"

@  unluckiness : (30 April 2017 - 09:27 AM)

if you like it you should have put a ring on it

@  2017 : (30 April 2017 - 09:09 AM)

There's nothing wrong with it, it's 99% of the time a joke term.

@  Pennpenn : (30 April 2017 - 08:39 AM)

I'll be gladder when the term "waifu" gets somehow deleted from existence, or at least falls out of common (or any) use.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (30 April 2017 - 04:36 AM)

Blasphemy! Zero Suit Samus forever!

@  Foffy : (30 April 2017 - 03:31 AM)

That feeling when you finally realize that King Dedede is the best waifu and all others are shit.

@  Pennpenn : (29 April 2017 - 08:35 PM)

There are probably plenty of people who wouldn't know them from Adam. Me, for example.

@  Telly : (29 April 2017 - 08:18 PM)

not from me. id just put him on ignore

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (29 April 2017 - 08:16 PM)

I thought of something else about TFW2005 versus the Allspark. If Ignash was allowed back here, wouldn't that initiate lots of frustration and/or abandonment by people here?

@  Telly : (29 April 2017 - 08:09 PM)

with FRIGGIN laser beams on their FRIGGIN heads!

@  Lazy Garou : (29 April 2017 - 04:32 PM)

the do this to sharks. Friggin' sharks!

@  Lazy Garou : (29 April 2017 - 04:31 PM)

they don't kill. they eat half of your face, and you're left with a hideous tumor where the barnacle is.

@  Locoman : (29 April 2017 - 03:49 PM)

Perhaps the barnacle, consumed with guilt at what he'd done, took his own life after killing everyone

@  Lazy Garou : (29 April 2017 - 02:28 PM)

parasitic barnacles are the stuff of nightmares

@  MEDdMI : (29 April 2017 - 01:39 PM)

But barnacles don't have- *checks* "The main sense of barnacles appears to be touch, with the hairs on the limbs being especially sensitive. The adult also has a single eye, although this is probably only capable of sensing the difference between light and dark.[4]This eye is derived from the primarynaupliar eye." Huh.

@  ▲ndrusi : (29 April 2017 - 01:29 PM)

He looked in a mirror

@  Evac : (29 April 2017 - 01:26 PM)

He was killed by his own ugliness. Kind of a "Hoist by His Own Petard" thing.

@  MEDdMI : (29 April 2017 - 01:12 PM)

How did the barnacle get killed if everyone died from his ugliness?

@  Whirl Maximus : (29 April 2017 - 11:09 AM)

I've been watching clips of the Japanese dub of the Sunbow movie. Comes with added SCREAMS!

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Who's your favorite Obscure Transformer?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
43 replies to this topic

#1 Evac

Evac

There needs to be more Western-themed JRPGs

• Citizen
  • 21878 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:45 PM

Everyone has a favorite obscure Transformer who they really love. Some of these guys ended up becoming so popular, in fact, they became equal to the heavy hitters in newer fiction or toylines. Nightbeat, Straxus, Bludgeon, and Sunstorm are examples of this.

Of course, there are some who haven't recieved such good luck yet. And my favorite obscure TF has gotta be Flatline.

What can I say about Flatline? Up until Knock Out was created, he was probably the most fan-loved Decepticon medic. Scalpel and Hook may have been the most well-known, and Glit was repurpsoed into SG Ravage, but Flatline? Well, he's pretty much what I think a 'Con medic should be. A twisted, sadistic monster, Flatline delights in performing horrific experiments on his patients. He's one of the most utterly evil Decepticons in the franchise history, rivalled only by Lockdown, Tarantulas, and Airachnid, and that's one of the reasons he's so great. He goes about his evil business with a cold, scientific detachment. He's absolutely horrifying in character, and that's what makes him what I think of when I imagine Decepticon medic - someone who's more mad scientist than actual doctor - and my favorite obscure TF.

Transformers is a brand that really has something for everyone. We are a darn lucky fandom.

There are days when the wind doesn't feel like wind so much as it's a swarm of invisible wraiths shrieking and tearing and clawing at everything.

#2 Boltax

Boltax

Pap Pap! Kue Ray Yong Pap!

• Citizen
  • 2952 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:46 AM

Crosscut. Crosscut was in fact the spur that made me want to create the Obscure Transformers Website. And certainly characters like Bludgeon or Nightbeat would *NEVER* have made it as 'obscures' for my website. They were FAR too well known. In fact I considered anyone with a toy to be far too well known to be considered obscure. Even back at the very beginnings of the fandom people were talking about and discussing even the most esoteric of TF toys. But Crosscut? Not so much.

Crosscut is without doubt my favourite Obscure TF.
--Andrew S.
(Guy didn't even get a colour scheme until recently!)

Edited by Boltax, 26 February 2012 - 12:48 AM.

#3 Tindalos

Tindalos
  • Citizen
  • 1195 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:57 AM

Megadeath.

I mean, I was just a kid, it was pretty much my first encounter with the comic continuity, and in a text story, and I was young enough to have to get my dad to read it to me, and here was this con who was so creepy, so insane, as to pretty much be left to die by the other cons.
And what's more, that story had him reduce some great autobots to their worst moment. Where they just couldn't raise a hand to stop him.

#4 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 33681 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:00 AM

Is Sixknight obscure?

#5 Fishbug

Fishbug

toot toot

• Citizen
  • 11444 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:02 AM

In the age of TFWiki, is anybody obscure anymore?
25aputg.jpg
#WHERESINJECTOR

#6 abates

abates
  • Supporter
  • 3741 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:04 AM

Octus, though I admit that's primarily because of his alternate mode.

#7 Noprobsrobs

Noprobsrobs

STILL THE BEST 1973

• Supporter
  • 2845 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:05 AM

Macabre. Don't know why, but I have a little liking for him. Besides, he has a sweet name.

#8 Detour

Detour

People.... What a bunch of bastards!

• Supporter
  • 19811 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:08 AM

TGTLSSTCTDAH.

The Guy That Looks Suspiciously Similar To Crosscut That Dies After Him.

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#9 Boltax

Boltax

Pap Pap! Kue Ray Yong Pap!

• Citizen
  • 2952 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:09 AM

QUOTE(abates @ Feb 26 2012, 01:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Heh. I remember when Lee Sullivan emailed Monz and Me after reading our page on Octus. Discovering that he was a Dalek was such an "Oh, OF COURSE!" moment.

--Andrew S.

Edited by Boltax, 26 February 2012 - 01:09 AM.

#10 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

We All Live in a Blue Wooden Box

• Supporter
  • 12339 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:12 AM

QUOTE(abates @ Feb 26 2012, 01:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is required response, of course...

Although, Swindler came to mind first.

#11 Kalidor

Kalidor

\_(ツ)_/

• Owner
  • 59142 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:23 AM

I always liked Scrounge.

People talk about how dated Soundwave is.. Scrounge was a guy who was supposed to have this super sophisticated spying implements in his arm that amounted to a *wired* camera AND a *wired* microphone as two different devices.

But he was a cool guy, with some cool skills (That could stand to be updated) and he died a horrible death.

I actually felt a bit of grief reading his story, so that was some good writing I suppose.

#12 Cat

Cat
  • Retired Staff
  • 11553 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:40 AM

Jackpot.

Love the design.

#13 tec

tec

Make fun of my spelling again

• Supporter
  • 25442 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:50 AM

Sunrunner

Gunrunner gets little to no love in fiction

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

TRY1SIG1_zpseutucm1m.jpg

#14 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 9824 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:19 AM

Sunspot, the incompetent but good-natured Decepticon scatterbrain. It's rare to find a Decepticon who's just happy.

#15 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 34580 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:33 PM

Countdown. He's the Autobots' greatest leader that no one cares about, much less remembers.

Runners-up would be Quickswitch, since he's like Sixshot, but losing his mind as a side effect of his own abilities. And bonus points for the commercial saying that he's Sixshot's son making up for his father's evil ways. Second would probably be BW Skyshadow, the Predacon statesman, which is just such a bizarre function for a guy with a missile in his mouth.

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#16 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

Princess of Hugging

• Supporter
  • 50080 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:38 PM

Eagle eye
You must have Signatures turned on

#17 Sharpfinger

Sharpfinger
  • Supporter
  • 179 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:51 PM

Scrounge

All "Smelting Pool" arc seems amazing to me (and probably is the biggest source of Obscure Transformers). Scrounge character is better developed and is more important to the plot than many "character with toys". I have some love for Spanner, too; but Scrounge still wins.

#18 Mako Crab

Mako Crab
  • Citizen
  • 2263 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:14 PM

The unnamed crab Decepticon in "RotF: The Veiled Threat." He didn't really do anything, but I like crab robots and I liked that chapter of the book. He quietly infiltrates a military base, gets some info, and quietly departs. No flash or bang, but I liked the emphasis on being stealthy and hiding in plain sight. The chapter with the crab spy is completely out of place and adds absolutely nothing to the story. Felt more like the author just felt like tossing something random in that he thought would be cool. And it was. Wound up being the only stand-out moment in the entire book.

Crab Spy

Edited by Mako Crab, 26 February 2012 - 07:18 PM.

#19 Year Zero

Year Zero

New dawn rises. Behold the Lord of flies.

• Supporter
  • 31141 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE(Kalidor @ Feb 26 2012, 01:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I always liked Scrounge.

People talk about how dated Soundwave is.. Scrounge was a guy who was supposed to have this super sophisticated spying implements in his arm that amounted to a *wired* camera AND a *wired* microphone as two different devices.

But he was a cool guy, with some cool skills (That could stand to be updated) and he died a horrible death.

I actually felt a bit of grief reading his story, so that was some good writing I suppose.

Wholeheartedly agreed.

"Don’t you see? Violence doesn’t end violence. It extends it." - The Tenth Doctor

#20 Esser-Z

Esser-Z

I'm never going down at the hands of the likes of you

• Citizen
  • 32940 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:29 PM

Scarem. I just love the little guy. I want an army of his mold.