Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  LBD "Nyt... : (27 April 2017 - 05:31 AM)

*pops in* "Hm, I wonder where the conversation has gone since last night..." *reads* "...huh. I did not see any of that coming."

@  MEDdMI : (27 April 2017 - 05:26 AM)

*apart!

@  MEDdMI : (27 April 2017 - 05:26 AM)

This board has provided me with the only RP campaign that didn't fall a

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (27 April 2017 - 05:17 AM)

So what? We're disciples of Primus and they're disciples of Unicron?

@  lastmaximal : (27 April 2017 - 04:26 AM)

I'm really not surprised.

@  Nevermore : (27 April 2017 - 04:16 AM)

Well, the users over on TFW in return accuse the Allspark of being an elitist clique that ostracizes everyone who doesn't act like they do (i.e. civil), whereas TFW is more welcoming to everyone regardless of their views.

@  Pennpenn : (27 April 2017 - 03:23 AM)

Hard G. I don't give a solitary shit what the creators call it, the first word in the acronym is "Graphical". I have no idea why they'd think any sane human could, would, or should pronounce it any other way.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (27 April 2017 - 03:13 AM)

I acknowledge what the creators say, but whether I remember to use their pronunciation or not is hit or miss. Heck, I think I usually think of it in my head as "gee-i-ef", in parallel to "JPG" and "PNG".

@  Waspinator : (27 April 2017 - 02:50 AM)

Let's heat things up: what are everyone's opinions on how GIF should be pronounced?

@  Diecast : (26 April 2017 - 11:11 PM)

But I will say that a lot of fandom forums are generally more tolerable nowadays because most belligerent types stick to Facebook groups

@  Diecast : (26 April 2017 - 11:09 PM)

I do like their hard no-politics rule. Now that I do the occasional freelance writing for some local politics and I like zero percent of it my hobby space now. But holy cow, do they replace it with neck beard drama.

@  LordGigaIce : (26 April 2017 - 10:30 PM)

like Noideaforaname I posted on TFW for a while. I came here after I got harassed for daring to suggest that Play With This Too was run by unoriginal hacks, and yeah. This place so much more preferable.

@  Nutjob R/T : (26 April 2017 - 10:15 PM)

And you're turning us on

@  Nutjob R/T : (26 April 2017 - 10:15 PM)

The terrible secret of the Allspark: We all have this twisted fetish for rational thought processes

@  lastmaximal : (26 April 2017 - 10:13 PM)

Not everyone likes everything, and people aren't blind to shortfalls or annoyances resulting from constraints of how the brand is handled. We make many a joke out of these things. But it's a rare thing when entitlement replaces logic on here, where that seems to be poster raison d'etre everywhere else.

@  lastmaximal : (26 April 2017 - 10:11 PM)

It's utterly weird how these here boards seem so impervious an oasis when it comes to that depth of idiocy. Worshipping 3p and demanding the official companies "step it up" and stop being so lazy? Insisting the movies be done THEIR way, crapping on every single thing revealed about the films or toyline, then whining that they can't find (insert hot movie to here) or the official release of a movie figure doesn't capture the look in the film they hated? Etc

@  lastmaximal : (26 April 2017 - 10:09 PM)

It's not even a "brand pissing contest" or "board loyalty" thing, not least due to the fact that those don't really even happen here all that much. I'm just happy to be with levelheaded people who've outgrown the usual fan dumb tropes. You can have a civilized conversation here and people don't shit on things only to hide behind "but but but to each their own right?" when their myopic BS is challenged.

@  lastmaximal : (26 April 2017 - 10:07 PM)

With each time nonsense like this flares up on tfw or on local discussion venues (and it does quite a bit) I'm just reminded of why I've essentially been allspark bound for the last... Fifteen or so years.

@  Noideaforaname : (26 April 2017 - 10:07 PM)

On the plus side, tho, TFW has "appreciation threads" for practically everything, even stuff like Kre-O and PCC. And their toy database is quite handy.

@  Noideaforaname : (26 April 2017 - 10:03 PM)

I've been happily posting on TFW for years. Then, after being *here* for a few months, I look back and wonder how the hell I even bothered with it. I mean, my ignore list had hundreds of people on it. Literally HUNDREDS of ignored people. I even showed off said gargantuan list once (with a small thumbnail that you couldn't read any of the names on, mind you). That... that really should have been a warning sign, I suppose...

@  WorkbenchManiac : (26 April 2017 - 08:03 PM)

Thanks, I enjoyed reading the nerdrage. I should hang out over there more often.

@  Diecast : (26 April 2017 - 07:07 PM)

I mean, Reveal Your Shield. That gets complained about too.

@  Diecast : (26 April 2017 - 07:04 PM)

One of the reveal the shield news threads at TFW has movie fans and G1 fans arguing over who has it worse

@  WorkbenchManiac : (26 April 2017 - 06:49 PM)

You got me awfully curious. What thread ware we talking about?

@  Diecast : (26 April 2017 - 02:17 PM)

That was a quality read. Both sides of that thread's argument went pretty crazy.

@  Noideaforaname : (26 April 2017 - 02:11 PM)

"When Beast Wars made Optimus a monkey nobody complained" ~ someone desperate for a 'gotcha'

@  Diecast : (26 April 2017 - 02:05 PM)

I want to find the rock they've been under that there isn't constantly complaining about something.

@  Diecast : (26 April 2017 - 02:04 PM)

For the lack if a better word, it baffles me when someone starts a discussion somewhere that's like "Does anyone else not like the movies?"

@  TheMightyMol... : (26 April 2017 - 12:13 PM)

Careful, it might have something to say about that.

@  MEDdMI : (26 April 2017 - 12:13 PM)

I'm gonna have to check your opinion out real good to make sure.

@  TheMightyMol... : (26 April 2017 - 11:55 AM)

Oppinions are like assholes. Everyone has one, but mine is better so shut up.

@  ▲ndrusi : (26 April 2017 - 11:08 AM)

To clarify on point 1 since I was typing early in the morning again, "you must hate exactly what I hate" and "you msut like exactly what I like" aren't actually the same statement but they're the same thought process which is "my opinions are objective facts." If you see someone espousing one, they're probably thinking the other, too.

@  lastmaximal : (26 April 2017 - 10:57 AM)

... what.

@  Bass X0 : (26 April 2017 - 10:15 AM)

Andrusi, I imagine to some people online, there isn't that much of a world of difference, at least going by the venom they post; although not at RiD specifically.

@  unluckiness : (26 April 2017 - 08:55 AM)

The scale of liking and hating is an interval one so you can not like something but not hate it. Pretty sure there's apathy and dislike in between there at least.

@  wonko the sane? : (26 April 2017 - 08:07 AM)

And humans are perfectly capable of hating things in unison while being divided on liking.

@  ▲ndrusi : (26 April 2017 - 07:34 AM)

On the other hand, there's a world of difference between "I hate RID" and "I hate Nazis."

@  ▲ndrusi : (26 April 2017 - 07:27 AM)

On one hand, "hating what I hate" IS "liking what I like." One of those cultures can't be worse than the other because they're literally the same culture.

@  ▲ndrusi : (26 April 2017 - 07:26 AM)

I think that comparison is both an oversimplification AND a meaningless distinction.

@  wonko the sane? : (26 April 2017 - 07:16 AM)

That's the internet effect. Distance and anonimity make for easy and consequence-less extremism.

@  Bass X0 : (26 April 2017 - 06:58 AM)

I think the aggressive "How dare you not hate exactly what I hate" culture online is worse than the aggressive "How dare you not like exactly what I like" culture.

@  MEDdMI : (26 April 2017 - 06:19 AM)

And now that song/scene and its many many parodies are running through my head.

@  unluckiness : (26 April 2017 - 06:18 AM)

Patrick Swayze didnt!

@  MEDdMI : (26 April 2017 - 05:58 AM)

lol. As long as they knock first.

@  LBD "Nyt... : (26 April 2017 - 05:57 AM)

Or as ghosts. I guess ghosts would be acceptable.

@  LBD "Nyt... : (26 April 2017 - 05:57 AM)

For now, I'd just find some small comfort in knowing those who have passed actually are in some sort of better place.

@  LBD "Nyt... : (26 April 2017 - 05:56 AM)

I'd find comfort in knowing that one way or another, that suffering would eventually end and a new, potentially happier beginning awaits.

@  MEDdMI : (26 April 2017 - 05:54 AM)

@LBD At the same time, I can't imagine wanting to stay in even a happy afterlife when fleshies are still suffering.

@  2017 : (26 April 2017 - 05:49 AM)

Celebrating and welcoming death just gives them more ideological hoops to justify killing others. So yeah, no thanks.

@  LBD "Nyt... : (26 April 2017 - 05:48 AM)

The idea of death doesn't bother me so much as no longer existing.

Photo
- - - - -

[UPDATE] Official statement from Fun Pub about Credit Card issues

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
321 replies to this topic

#1 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

Commissions! cheetimus@cheetimus.com

• Retired Staff
  • 48441 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:44 PM

This is going out to all members:

Fun Publications wants to take this opportunity to apologize to all of our members.

After many days of analysis, Fun Publications has determined that there is a security issue with our e-commerce systems. We appreciate all of you who have sent in your details. Your help has allowed us to ferret out several different patterns of fraudulent charges that have appeared on some members' cards (any that have been used over the last year with both the club store and our event registration system).

We have several different internet/networking companies looking into the matter. Unfortunately, as of yet, we have not been able to identify any forcible entry either into our internet service provider's servers or network. This is like chasing a ghost through the wires, as unfortunately, the perpetrator did not leave a trail, foot prints or finger prints.

For those of you who have been affected, we apologize for all of your time this has wasted and any inconvenience it has caused you. We understand your frustration as this same type of fraud has happened to everyone in our office on our personal credit cards at some point in the past. Our merchant services provider wants us to remind everyone that even though this can be a huge annoyance for you, the customer, your issuing bank will not hold you responsible for any fraudulent charges that might be placed on your card(s).

We know that this issue has been a huge topic of discussion on all of the boards for the past few weeks. However, we are required to investigate to determine and confirm a security issue thoroughly before making any public statements. This is why we put out a general alert statement two weeks ago.

Until the analysis is finished (can take several weeks) we don't know if the shut down by our former (Jan 31st) e-commerce provider caused the security issue or not. We do know that it has not been limited to those who have purchased before the change to our new provider.

Please, watch your cards closely as this type of security issue appears to be on the increase across the net. No site is 100% safe. You may want to consider having any cards you have used with Fun Publications in the last year replaced.

At this time, we do not know how long our e-commerce site will be offline for both the store and registrations. We will get back to you once we have a solution for this security issue.

Thanks for your support - Brian

24674394486_13a96b16e0_o.jpg

#2 Year Zero

Year Zero

New dawn rises. Behold the Lord of flies.

• Supporter
  • 31141 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:48 PM

And there you have it. Thank you Cheets!

Edited by ^0^CORVUS^o^, 24 February 2012 - 05:48 PM.

"Don’t you see? Violence doesn’t end violence. It extends it." - The Tenth Doctor

#3 Detective Fork

Detective Fork

Generic Purple Wavey Avatar

• Citizen
  • 2980 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:24 PM

I think it's time to call my credit card company and have them issue me a new card.

#4 Detective Fork

Detective Fork

Generic Purple Wavey Avatar

• Citizen
  • 2980 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:30 PM

Would it be feasible at all for FunPub to switch over to using Paypal? That way, they won't touch your credit card info.

#5 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

It's a nice day for a...

• Citizen
  • 8430 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:47 PM

Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery.

Twitter:  @ToyBoxComix

http://ToyBoxComix.tumblr.com

#6 Geoff

Geoff

he created the vibe...

• Supporter
  • 1649 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:55 PM

QUOTE(Detective Fork @ Feb 24 2012, 11:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it's time to call my credit card company and have them issue me a new card.

I had my current account emptied and my credit card maxed because of this, cancel your cards immediately!

Follow me on twitter

#7 Shattered

Shattered
  • Retired Staff
  • 6956 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:18 PM

After many days of analysis, Fun Publications has determined that there is a security issue with our e-commerce systems.

After many weeks of reading these threads, no jive.

However, we are required to investigate to determine and confirm a security issue thoroughly before making any public statements.

Required by whom?

This is why we put out a general alert statement two weeks ago.

The statement that read as indicating that there was nothing wrong and no connection to the Club?

Please, watch your cards closely as this type of security issue appears to be on the increase across the net. No site is 100% safe. You may want to consider having any cards you have used with Fun Publications in the last year replaced.

Smoke and mirrors. Because it happens to other merchants it doesn't matter that it happened to you on a major scale? That's an insane tract to take in a public statement like this.

At this time, we do not know how long our e-commerce site will be offline for both the store and registrations. We will get back to you once we have a solution for this security issue.

Have you reported this to the proper authorities? Are you PCI compliant? If not, when do you pay your $500,000 fine?

Someone at the Club needs to prevent you from making public statements in the future.

Edited by Shattered, 24 February 2012 - 08:23 PM.

#8 Lisbon Virgo

Lisbon Virgo

What a nerd!

• Supporter
  • 4012 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:44 PM

What I want to know is, what is the club going to do for those members affected by this? Restitution is more than just two PR statements.
3DS Friend Code: 5155 - 3611 - 9787
I was Ursa'ed on 10/22/13!
I'm an idiot with a warning point.

#9 awa64

awa64
  • Citizen
  • 12625 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:18 PM

However, we are required to investigate to determine and confirm a security issue thoroughly before making any public statements.

Required by whom?

Law enforcement can request delay of notification if they think it'll impede their investigation into the issue, and the business that suffered the security breach can delay notification until they've identified the scope of the breach and taken measures to re-secure their system (so they don't just, y'know, wave a giant red flag and yell "WE ARE VULNERABLE, PLEASE HACK US AGAIN").

Other than that, they're legally required (at least in the state of Texas, where they're located, and similar laws in effect in 37 out of 50 states in the US) to notify the victims as soon as possible.

Have you reported this to the proper authorities? Are you PCI compliant? If not, when do you pay your $500,000 fine?

For PCI purposes, FunPub isn't a level 1 organization (they're most likely level 4), and even level 1 organizations aren't subject to fines that large simply for a breach of compliance.

Visa, Mastercard, etc. will be the ones dealing with whether they're PCI compliant or not. And it's going to cost them a lot. But probably closer to $50,000 than $500,000.

#10 awa64

awa64
  • Citizen
  • 12625 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:21 PM

QUOTE(Lurkercon @ Feb 24 2012, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What I want to know is, what is the club going to do for those members affected by this? Restitution is more than just two PR statements.

The fines that'll be levied against them by the credit card companies should, theoretically, go toward the cost of issuing replacement cards and having the credit card companies reimburse you for fraudulent transactions. There's still a long way to go for FunPub to recover from this from a public relations standpoint, but from a legal standpoint the system has it pretty well covered.

#11 Nanite

Nanite

Imminently Ignorable

• Supporter
  • 5059 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:26 PM

This email needs to be going out to all former members too, not just current ones (I haven't gotten club e-mail since I let my membership expire this year)
On them twitters

#12 awa64

awa64
  • Citizen
  • 12625 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:29 PM

QUOTE(Detective Fork @ Feb 24 2012, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Would it be feasible at all for FunPub to switch over to using Paypal? That way, they won't touch your credit card info.

It would be more expensive (transaction fees would probably be about 50% higher than they are currently), and there are a lot of issues with Paypal locking down sellers' accounts for 3+ months based on a single unsubstantiated claim.

#13 Year Zero

Year Zero

New dawn rises. Behold the Lord of flies.

• Supporter
  • 31141 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:05 PM

Bingo. Paypal is a non-solution.

"Don’t you see? Violence doesn’t end violence. It extends it." - The Tenth Doctor

#14 Cat

Cat
  • Retired Staff
  • 11548 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:58 AM

QUOTE(Shattered @ Feb 24 2012, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After many days of analysis, Fun Publications has determined that there is a security issue with our e-commerce systems.

After many weeks of reading these threads, no jive.

Required by whom?

This is why we put out a general alert statement two weeks ago.

The statement that read as indicating that there was nothing wrong and no connection to the Club?

Smoke and mirrors. Because it happens to other merchants it doesn't matter that it happened to you on a major scale? That's an insane tract to take in a public statement like this.

Someone at the Club needs to prevent you from making public statements in the future.

I'm sorry, but I have to strongly disagree with you.

Just because it's been talked about in threads for awhile is of little relevance to the actual investigations that need/needed to be done.

It's just not that simple.

We also don't really know the scale. That's an absolute bitch to determine, and while there have been people posting about it, how big is that in percentage terms? These things tend to look larger than they actually are (Not always, of course, and I don't know either way here. But it's incredibly difficult to accurately estimate the scale)

Edited by Cat, 25 February 2012 - 05:01 AM.

#15 (Deactivated) TF Silverbolt

(Deactivated) TF Silverbolt
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:44 AM

Yet another example of just how technically incompetent Fun Pub really is. I mean you can tell it just by looking at their sites, but then you have things like this. Things that cost fans not just money but their financial security. At some point it would just be easier to have the license pulled and given to someone who knows how to run the web/financial side of things. Mom and Pop operations just don't cut it anymore, not when a franchise has become as high profile as TF. I'd rather Hasbro run the convention and contract out a few long time fans who know the franchise and fan base at this point. That's more or less what Brian did anyway, as he admittedly does not or did not know TF's at the time the license was awarded to FP. The creative product would still stay at the same level, if not improve, and all these ridiculous problems as a result of technical ignorance would be resolved. As it stands now, FP is at least 5 if not closer to 10 years behind in terms of web services. This is simply not acceptable anymore.

#16 Chip

Chip

The light which smashes lies!

• Citizen
  • 6320 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:04 AM

QUOTE(Nanite @ Feb 24 2012, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This email needs to be going out to all former members too, not just current ones (I haven't gotten club e-mail since I let my membership expire this year)

Yes. If this is how the club treats former members, it needs to be under new management. It's probably also a violation of state law.

#17 Jeysie

Jeysie

Geekbot & Nerdicon Fangirl

• Citizen
  • 3863 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:31 AM

QUOTE(TF Silverbolt @ Feb 25 2012, 07:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yet another example of just how technically incompetent Fun Pub really is. I mean you can tell it just by looking at their sites, but then you have things like this. Things that cost fans not just money but their financial security. At some point it would just be easier to have the license pulled and given to someone who knows how to run the web/financial side of things.

Agreed, much as I hate to say it.

I mean, I am very happy with the creative side of FunPub, and will always continue to fully support the fiction and art side of things.

But the web and technical sides are just ridiculous. They could improve their web presence a hundredfold just by moving to a new PHP-enabled server and setting up 100% free software, never mind if they invested some money in business software or a pro webmaster... which considering how many members they have times the costs of everything, they ought to be able to afford.

And these sorts of security-related issues could be solved by... you know... using freakin' PayPal. The increased fees would amount to maybe a few bucks extra in prices, tops, and it would avoid the major loss of business caused by things like this.

I mean, while I haven't been hit yet, now I'm going to have to change my debit card just in case... and since I don't have any checks or other cards to use, paying for things is going to be irritating until the reissue is all finished.

Edited by Jeysie, 25 February 2012 - 08:33 AM.

#18 Kevin S

Kevin S

Unswerving in my duties

• Supporter
  • 5693 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:35 AM

QUOTE(^0^CORVUS^o^ @ Feb 24 2012, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bingo. Paypal is a non-solution.

What about Amazon? We're using it for the fundraising, but does Amazon offer Paypal like services that are reasonable?
My FlickR folder...

And yes, I was too lazy to come up with a decent TF related forum name, and just *GASP* used my own.

#19 Suspsy

Suspsy

This Title Section Needs To Be Longer

• Citizen
  • 3869 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:45 AM

So glad I'm not going to Botcon.
If You Even Dream Of Beating Me, You'd Better Wake Up And Apologise.

#20 Robowang

Robowang

Nard Extractor

• Supporter
  • 2990 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:30 AM

QUOTE(Suspsy @ Feb 25 2012, 08:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So glad I'm not going to Botcon.

You'd probably antagonize Savage and then embarrassingly drag him around the hotel lobby by his feet. Y'know, like that one time icon-hotrod.gif