Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:12 PM)

But it's also a SUPER-well known location in my region, so these extensive exterior shots without any post production alterations completely ruin the illusion for me.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:11 PM)

I mean, I get why they did it: It's an existing location that fits the purpose, it's open for the public, and they had to shoot some scenes in my home state anyway to due a subsidizing deal.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:09 PM)

Needless to say, it's not in Berlin, and even what's seen onscreen is waaaaay too modern for something that's supposed to exist in 1929 (even moreso as a derelict site in 1929). The structures seen haven't even been built until the 1960s!

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:07 PM)

I'm currently in the process of watching season 2 of Babylon Berlin, and there's a recurring setting of a "derelict industrial site" or whatever it's supposed to be on the show, and I easily recognize it as a place only a few minutes from where I live (it's actually a former ironworks site that's been turned into a public park).

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:52 PM)

Ever since I went to Japan last year, I have friend who dread watching anime with me due to that...

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:51 PM)

Not hugely, but I am the type to notice places once I have been there and say "Hey, I've been there!"

@  wonko the sane? : (19 May 2019 - 05:50 PM)

Half of new york city (on tape.) is actually montreal.

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 05:50 PM)

I watched Death Wish 5 last night and clearly recognized Toronto streets; didn't pull me out of Bronson's 1-man war on drugs or fashion or whatever it was that pissed him off that time

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 05:49 PM)

it's nice to finally be thought of as exotic by somebody! lol

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 05:48 PM)

In an "I cannot possibly make my brain ignore the location I'm familiar with and pretend it's whatever the story claims it is" way?

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 05:42 PM)

Question for those of you living in exotic locations such as the US or the UK: If you watch a movie or a TV show that features a real-life location as a stand-in for someplace else, and you recognize the real-life location due to having been there in person, does that pull you out of the story?

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:15 PM)

Maybe you should have installed macOS in your house instead.

@  Noideaforaname : (19 May 2019 - 04:40 PM)

Nothing like coming home after a long day to find a bird in the house. And then once you sit down for a well-earned rest after leading the bird back outside, you find it had a friend. A friend who *really* doesn't understand how windows work...

@  PlutoniumBoss : (19 May 2019 - 01:26 PM)

Bingo. The big polls don't tell people what's actually happening because that doesn't sell.

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 AM)

IIRC there are good polls but data is easily manipulated so they give people what they want to hear

@  wonko the sane? : (19 May 2019 - 10:58 AM)

The only way to get people interested in politics is to make into reality TV. So they lie to do it.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (19 May 2019 - 01:38 AM)

Yeah, polling these days is garbage.

@  Sean Whitmore : (18 May 2019 - 11:53 PM)

Well, he was an honest man. He wasn’t gonna lie to a 5-year-old.

@  Paladin : (18 May 2019 - 08:34 PM)

Grandfather once said to me, "I'm going upstairs and hug your grandma."

@  Sabrblade : (18 May 2019 - 07:08 PM)

Mama always said that you can tell a lot 'bout a person from 'is shoes...

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 May 2019 - 03:54 PM)

Life is like a box of chocolates. Stay out of the sun or melt into a pile of gross slop.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 May 2019 - 10:26 AM)

Greasy, disappointing and still managing to be over priced?

@  Lancer : (18 May 2019 - 10:22 AM)

... Yes, it is!

@  Noideaforaname : (18 May 2019 - 09:48 AM)

Life's a fillet of fish!

@  unluckiness : (18 May 2019 - 08:53 AM)

ow the edge

@  Paladin : (18 May 2019 - 07:03 AM)

a reminder that life is an unrepentant hellscape where everyone & everything you know will eventually betray you.

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 06:45 AM)

You know, this election is what has finally broken me of any confidence at any point of pre-polling data. I mean, it's always been sketchy, but this is just... aaaargh!

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 06:08 AM)

I was going to make an Auspol election thread in P&R, but the outcome so far has made me feel physically ill.

@  Gamma V : (18 May 2019 - 03:28 AM)

Haven't been here in a long time.

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 03:16 AM)

I have heard that, it's rather disappointing. Ah, maybe they'll just leech each others stores of "awful racist vote" and not go anywhere.

@  Trpodeca : (17 May 2019 - 11:09 PM)

I voted. Boy there are a worrying amount of parties which sound like fascists.

@  Pennpenn : (17 May 2019 - 06:55 PM)

For those in Australia, it is a federal election today. Go Vote! It's Mandatory!

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 May 2019 - 04:19 PM)

Humor? I 'ardly know 'or!

@  wonko the sane? : (17 May 2019 - 03:51 PM)

I was intemately familiar with humour... but she just wanted to be friends...

@  Maximus Ambus : (17 May 2019 - 12:10 PM)

BZT Time out! Time out! Time ooooooouuuuuut!!!

@  unluckiness : (17 May 2019 - 08:23 AM)

Yes. Are you familiar with humor?

@  Sabrblade : (17 May 2019 - 07:50 AM)

You are familiar with The Room, yes?

@  unluckiness : (17 May 2019 - 01:14 AM)

nah, tuxedos are formal wear

@  Sabrblade : (16 May 2019 - 10:38 PM)

*...while dressed in a tuxedo*

@  unluckiness : (16 May 2019 - 09:22 PM)

*casually tosses kryptonite island at Lex*

@  Sean Whitmore : (16 May 2019 - 06:21 PM)

O hai Lex.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 May 2019 - 04:31 PM)

You're just a little chicken! Cheep cheepcheep cheeEeeeEEEeeeep!

@  Nevermore : (16 May 2019 - 04:20 PM)

YOU ARE TEARING ME APART

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 May 2019 - 04:14 PM)

So I guess I shouldn't try to tie in The Room.

@  TM2-Megatron : (16 May 2019 - 02:29 PM)

I was just talking cheesy in a dated filmmaking sense, not mind-bogglingly god-awful.

@  Sabrblade : (16 May 2019 - 11:49 AM)

Well, certainly The Last Airbender is worse at being a Superman movie.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 May 2019 - 11:31 AM)

Is that better or worse than The Last Airbender? I mean, they're both terrible, but....

@  RichardT1977 : (16 May 2019 - 09:28 AM)

And the worst Superman movie is "Dragonball: Evolution".

@  Paladin : (16 May 2019 - 08:01 AM)

the best Superman movie is "The Iron Giant." You cannot convince me otherwise.

@  RichardT1977 : (15 May 2019 - 10:16 PM)

At least even in the first Christopher Reeve movie, when he caught Lois that first time, the background kept scrolling down for a second to indicate it wasn't a sudden stop.

Photo
* * * * - 6 votes

The John "TotalBiscuit" Bain Memorial Video Review thread

6703 replies to this topic

#61 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

That was then, this is now.

• Citizen
  • 9218 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:38 PM

I really like Joe in the anniversary videos and when he pops up in cameos, he's always a lot of fun. But he doesn't really review stuff that I'm interested in.

#62 Wing

Wing

Puns will continue until morale improves.

• Supporter
  • 18019 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:22 PM

I just want the next part of History of Power Rangers, dangit.

UnHImyv.png

#63 skankerzero

skankerzero

Back in DFW!

• Citizen
  • 7459 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:15 PM

I love them all.

I don't care what any of you guys say.
-----------
jesse sosa
owner / creative director
Dinosaur Games

#64 Detour

Detour

STR10 DEX7 CON12 INT10 WIS8 CHA1

• Supporter
  • 20550 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:02 AM

QUOTE(skankerzero @ Jan 21 2012, 09:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love them all.

I don't care what any of you guys say.

Well said. icon-ironhide.gif

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#65 Creature SH

Creature SH

Condimented

• Supporter
  • 6046 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:10 AM

May I draw attention to my signature? Yeah. I'd vote for her any day!

j1GI7Gi.gif

#66 Bass X0

Bass X0
  • Citizen
  • 43847 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:55 AM

QUOTE(BB Shockwave @ Jan 21 2012, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Daith - I don't mind Linkara's fanfic-acting, but I wish he would do them separately from his comic reviews. He could just make a new section and upload them there... When I tune in for his reviews, it is to see him rip apart a badly written comic.

QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Jan 21 2012, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Brute Force is a crazy comic though. Hard to believe Marvel axed Transformers G1 due to low sales then had Furman write this crap. They wanted some toy company to approach them to make toys of Brute Force? Come on Marvel, thats dumb. I actually didn't know it was Furman who wrote Brute Force in the review of the first issue - but I recognised a Furmanism.

Wait, Furman wrote this AFTER Transformers?

I knew he did it - read the comic many years ago - but I thought it was one of his early works before he started writing TFs. I mean, if his name wasn't there, I could hardly tell he did this. I suspect the editors were severely telling him exactly what to write, especially due to the heavy-handed enviromentalist messages in the comic.

Sorry. Brute Force was released during 1990 and Transformers #80 was during 1991. My point still stands.

I also agree with you on Linkara's non-review segments. I skip them and go straight to the credits since I like reading the commentary in the credits.

I also noticed that the Nostalgia Critic now has commercials during his review and acknowledges them as part of his review. I don't like the commercials but accept that he would have been forced to add them.

Just because you can't win doesn't mean you stop working.

#67 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28220 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:30 AM

I remember a while back when he did ads for his appearance in Geek Fight at the very end of his reviews..seriously, they were even done in a way that you could happily stop the video and not miss anything before they started and still people complained about him 'forcing commercials on us'.

#68 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

That was then, this is now.

• Citizen
  • 9218 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:20 AM

Wait, are there ACTUALLY commercials playing when it fades out to black like that? I have my Adblock on, so they don't play. I figured it was kidding around!

#69 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28220 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:34 AM

QUOTE(Rust @ Jan 21 2012, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(TerraEsperZ @ Jan 21 2012, 02:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know how natural Spoony is when reviewing a movie or game, but he was really funny in Counter Monkey.

Spoony is Spoony, far as I can tell. He's not much different from "Regular Joe Spoony" and "On Air Personality", save for maybe being a little more abrasive in "reality". Which might just be due to the year he's had.

Then again, he did bellow out "Betrayal" at E3, so maybe he just is that abrasive.

After seeing Revenge of the Fallen, he did a rather long video blog with his brother where the two trashed it. This didn't so much upset people as did him constantly complaining that anyone else paying to see it was a brainless moron but that him doing so was completely different because he's an online reviewer.

I defended him at the time (I wrote a less spiteful but still negative review of the film for TZ, which earned me some hate mail) but stuff like that comes off as awkward. Especially when you're screaming about being a professional whilst sitting in your bedroom, playing with a McFlurry and recording via webcam.

#70 Bass X0

Bass X0
  • Citizen
  • 43847 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:39 AM

Other people seem to rate Zero Punctuation quite highly but the few reviews I watched give me the impression that he's overly harsh and mean-spirited on things that actually isn't that bad and has a decent number of fans. And if you do happen to be a fan of what he's reviewing, expect to be trolled to hell by him.

Edited by Bass X0, 22 January 2012 - 11:42 AM.

#71 Creature SH

Creature SH

Condimented

• Supporter
  • 6046 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:45 AM

QUOTE(HellCat @ Jan 22 2012, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know how natural Spoony is when reviewing a movie or game, but he was really funny in Counter Monkey.

Spoony is Spoony, far as I can tell. He's not much different from "Regular Joe Spoony" and "On Air Personality", save for maybe being a little more abrasive in "reality". Which might just be due to the year he's had.

Then again, he did bellow out "Betrayal" at E3, so maybe he just is that abrasive.

After seeing Revenge of the Fallen, he did a rather long video blog with his brother where the two trashed it. This didn't so much upset people as did him constantly complaining that anyone else paying to see it was a brainless moron but that him doing so was completely different because he's an online reviewer.

I defended him at the time (I wrote a less spiteful but still negative review of the film for TZ, which earned me some hate mail) but stuff like that comes off as awkward. Especially when you're screaming about being a professional whilst sitting in your bedroom, playing with a McFlurry and recording via webcam.

I think that his rage was fueled by the fact that the other people genuinely seemed to enjoy what he could only perceive as a wretched, insulting and embarrassing assault to multiple senses. He paid to see it so that he could make a vlog that would generate revenue for him. That is different.

j1GI7Gi.gif

#72 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28220 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:45 AM

QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Jan 22 2012, 11:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Other people seem to rate Zero Punctuation quite highly but the few reviews I watched give me the impression that he's overly harsh and mean-spirited on things that actually isn't that bad and has a decent number of fans. And if you do happen to be a fan of what he's reviewing, expect to be trolled to hell by him.

Yahtzhee strikes me as a guy more concerned with the craft of his reviews then the content. I watch less to hear his opinion on a game and more to hear how many illustrative ways he can describe disliking something. I can't believe people get bent out of shape by what he says, but then we have people saying they suddenly hate a game if the AVGN called it bad. Alot of people seem to take these pieces of satire too seriously as actual critical reviews.

#73 Shadewing

Shadewing

Evil faces a Black Night

• Supporter
  • 36050 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:47 AM

He stated in one video, that he's now intentionally being an ass in his reviews, because the first time he did a completely positive review he got a backlash from his fans. So now, regardless of his own personal feelings he rips all games a new one.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#74 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28220 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:49 AM

QUOTE(Creature SH @ Jan 22 2012, 11:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(HellCat @ Jan 22 2012, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that his rage was fueled by the fact that the other people genuinely seemed to enjoy what he could only perceive as a wretched, insulting and embarrassing assault to multiple senses. He paid to see it so that he could make a vlog that would generate revenue for him. That is different.

That depends. For all he knows, others in that audience could also have intended to blog about it in some way. Case in point, I saw the film at the cinema knowing I'd put my name up to write a review after. I left the cinema feeling incredibly dissapointed whilst amazed those around me were loving it. The difference is I went home and wrote a review that judged the movie, not a rant about how as a freelance journalist I was superior to everyone else in that theater.

#75 Bass X0

Bass X0
  • Citizen
  • 43847 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:43 PM

QUOTE(HellCat @ Jan 22 2012, 04:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yahtzhee strikes me as a guy more concerned with the craft of his reviews then the content. I watch less to hear his opinion on a game and more to hear how many illustrative ways he can describe disliking something. I can't believe people get bent out of shape by what he says, but then we have people saying they suddenly hate a game if the AVGN called it bad. Alot of people seem to take these pieces of satire too seriously as actual critical reviews.

I've watched about two episodes and I didn't care for his style. At least when the Nostalgia Critic, Linkara or the AVGN criticise a movie, comic or game I like, I can laugh along with them. I'd rather hear them give their opinion and not just dislike something for the sake of disliking it. While Nostalgia Critic, Linkara and AVGN generally pick out known bad subjects to review, each of them can also talk about the points that aren't so bad without fearing a backlash from their fans for not conforming to the stereotype "angry" reviewer. Nostalgia Critic, AVGN and Linkara generally go into detail of why something is bad and deserves to be criticised. Also, "This comic/movie/game... actually isn't that bad. Sure, its not good but..." or similar is something I sometimes hear in the reviews I watch.

Whereas Yahtzee went out of his way to insult all Transformers fans for being overgrown man-children or whatever when I watched the review of War For Cybertron. There is being creative and illustrative in describing how he dislikes something and then there is out and out lying and distorting the truth. While I can't defend NC, AVGN and Linkara for being completely free of this, out of the hundreds of combined episodes I watched by them, they do it far far less than the two Yahtzee reviews I watched which was full of it.

Edited by Bass X0, 22 January 2012 - 12:45 PM.

#76 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28220 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:09 PM

I think it depends greatly on how the reviews are intended, which I also think ties into alot of the criticisms elsewhere in this thread. Alot of these reviewers start off as themselves with an online handle and slight exageration for the sake of comedy. However, alot of them have since turned around and claimed they've always been playing a character and that we shouldn't take what they say seriously. The problem is that this inconsistency muddles things. As you said, Linkara will often review a comic and then conclude by telling his audience why it isn't really bad at all. The problem is that him doing this is combined with his self insert stories, which are themselves obviously supposed to be taken as fiction.

In some ways it's a clumsy attempt at what MST3K did. When Joel Hodgson plays Joel Robinson, you know he's playing a fictional character with mild influence from the real him. The online reviewers often fail to make that distinction and the result is that we're unsure if they're trying to inform or entertain. One of the few to make this work has been James Rolfe. His AVGN character is clearly that, a fictional character who exagerates how bad crappy games are for the sake of entertainment. In contrast, James himself has done short documentaries as himself to educate others. Elements of this have combined with the AVGN character (you can often pick up cool video game trivia from his reviews) but it's still clear that what you're watching is farce that he and the audience are in on (ideally...). It's kind of a shame that all these other video reviewers inspired by him have missed that balance.

#77 TerraEsperZ

TerraEsperZ
  • Citizen
  • 1416 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:36 PM

It's also hard to discern if the reviewer is raging in character when real people can sound just as angry.

When James Rolfe is angry as the Angry Video Game Nerd, he just sounds *too* over the top with all the forced scatological comparisons; it's impossible to see this as the ranting of a real person. Doug manages to achieve the same effect and it's easy to forgive what might sound like childish ranting if you know it's being done for the sake of humour by mocking immature fanboys. But sometimes the reviewer really sounds like a man-child (or woman-child, I'm not discriminating) throwing a gratuitous tantrum and to me, that's simply not enjoyable. I hated The Distressed Watcher for doing exactly that, and seeing as he's left/been fired from the site, I might not have been the only one to feel like this.

#78 Bass X0

Bass X0
  • Citizen
  • 43847 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:43 PM

When AVGN tells me how bad a game is, he does it in a way that usually makes the viewer agree with him. Very few times I feel like he's lying to us despite his criticism being played for comic effect. I'm not someone who thinks swearing or offensiveness can replace actual humor. When the AVGN and Nostalgia Critic go on their swearing rants, I just tune out until they stop.

I don't care that the AVGN, Nostalgia Critic, Linkara or Yahtzee are fictional characters that do satirical reviews. I don't like the feeling of being lied to or decieved. A good comedian takes the truth and makes it amusing. Yahtzee doesn't seem to have that balance. I admit that exaggeration is used for comic effect but if the reviewer goes too far or uses it too often then the effect is lost.

But then I've only watched two episodes of Yahtzee. I'm not saying my opinion of him is accurate to all the reviews he produced, just that from what I did see it was enough to put me off from watching further.

Edited by Bass X0, 22 January 2012 - 01:50 PM.

#79 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28220 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 02:00 PM

The thing is, there IS an audience for it. It might not be you personally but there are alot of folks online (especially kids) who think 'comedy reviewing' means savaging stuff as much as possible. I've seen this for myself when I criticise lazy parodies and get 20 "It's a PARODY, what did you expect?' thrown at me. Indeed, alot of these people seem to miss that some of the best parody and satire often comes from genuine love of something. It's a real joy when someone creates a clever and witty way to critique something they dislike or disagree with but some want nothing more to see it torn down with fury. It's the reason you can go on YouTube and find 5000 videos of a 15 year olds dubbing over movie trailers by way of mocking homosexuality, convinced that's comedy gold.

#80 2019

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:27 PM

Yahtzee is paid to exaggerate the hell out of everything that annoys him. And it's hilarious to a large number of people, myself included. But it ain't for everyone, that's for sure.

PM me if you're bored!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users