Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (13 September 2019 - 01:54 PM)

Why do you feel a need to label yourself for doing something harmless?

@  Telly : (13 September 2019 - 11:10 AM)

thats more than i look at on reddit

@  Benbot : (13 September 2019 - 10:49 AM)

am I a basic bitch for only browsing the front page of Reddit?

@  Shrug : (12 September 2019 - 12:26 PM)

I managed to find about 2/3s of my goal Sega Genesis collection before the last price bump

@  Anonymous X : (12 September 2019 - 11:11 AM)

So relieved that I picked up most of my NTSC GameCube collection in 2010/11 before prices on the secondary market went bezerk...

@  unluckiness : (12 September 2019 - 12:54 AM)

I have fond memories of it since it was the last console Mario Kart that didn't have the ridiculous pre-race cart assembly

@  TM2-Megatron : (11 September 2019 - 10:26 PM)

Like many Gamecube games, underrated

@  unluckiness : (11 September 2019 - 09:24 AM)

Double Dash is great. Just watch out for blue shells

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 07:43 AM)

I used a double dash on my mobile. The chat didn’t like it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 September 2019 - 04:17 AM)

The mobile version of the site chokes on certain characters, I think.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 September 2019 - 04:10 AM)

what's with that punctuation anyway

@  Nevermore : (11 September 2019 - 03:20 AM)

Now where did that come from, Bass X0?

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 01:52 AM)

Politics and Religion — tools of foul play!

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you owe, you're expected to actually pay it at the time you file, before they even process your return

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you file electronically, I find you usually get your refund within a couple weeks

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 06:22 PM)

Well, lucky it took less than two months for me. For a little over 200 Euros.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Pretty much, yeah. Canada revenue will be all up your ass if you earn less than 200K and owe tax, but your refund is basically "duke nukem forever".

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Whereas if you overpaid and they have to refund you, they will take their sweet time to let you know.

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Like, here in Germany, if the tax authority responds to your tax report quickly, you can rest assured they want more money.

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:33 PM)

Do tax authorities in other countries base their time to respond to filed tax reports on whether they owe or are owed as well?

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 11:13 AM)

Check what the requirements are for your cad program, and try to beat them by about 20%, and understand that software requirements have been stable for a few years: not really keeping up with the advancements in hardware. Unless you're doing something SPECIFIC which requires ludicrous amounts of power, just give your self a cushion on hardware and don't bother going whole hog.

@  Benbot : (10 September 2019 - 10:16 AM)

What I'm currently using is an i5 2018 Surface Laptop. My current desktop is all but dead. I think in the end affordability will win out over specs. I need to use CAD programs, but I'm a student, not a professional.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 10:06 AM)

Okay. Whats the specs on the I7 and what are you currently using?

@  Benbot : (10 September 2019 - 09:23 AM)

fun and games

@  wonko the sane? : (09 September 2019 - 04:43 PM)

Depends entirely on what you use the computer for.

@  Steevy Maximus : (09 September 2019 - 11:52 AM)

Probably not

@  Benbot : (09 September 2019 - 09:39 AM)

Do I need an i7 on my new computer?

@  Nevermore : (08 September 2019 - 12:08 PM)

https://imgur.com/fkyjpza

@  Nevermore : (08 September 2019 - 12:07 PM)

Today's convention haul:

@  wonko the sane? : (08 September 2019 - 08:54 AM)

But it was Huuunnngrrrryyyy. What was I supposed to do?

@  MEDdMI : (08 September 2019 - 08:23 AM)

But did you feed any small fuzzy creatures after midnight?

@  wonko the sane? : (08 September 2019 - 06:32 AM)

Shouldn't be. I literally just built it. Not even three weeks ago even.

@  TM2-Megatron : (07 September 2019 - 10:13 PM)

Sounds like your computer's on its last lags, Wonko

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 07:37 PM)

Dunno, crucial says it's fine, gonna need a second opinion.

@  Pennpenn : (07 September 2019 - 06:52 PM)

Good luck! (or break a leg if it's like theater luck...)

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 06:46 PM)

Alright. The damages now seem to include my primary SSD. Thankfully, the gaming drive (I have now lost all my games and mods entirely.) Let me wipe it and install there. Once the crucial utility is installed again, will verify the drive.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 03:32 PM)

Three more crashes since I pulled the ram. Verifying the OS now... tonight might be a reinstalling kinda night.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 11:46 AM)

And thankfully it wasn't totally dead, so it was working on occassion. If the problem is actually solved, I just need to wait and see if the program/system crashes are over.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 11:45 AM)

Got it. I wound up running the memtest four more times, because of course it's always the last dimm. But I got the culprit. I lost 8 gig, but I'm still at three times the "recommended" amount.

@  Hg Dragon : (07 September 2019 - 11:09 AM)

DL and run MemTest86. It'll help weed out issues. Run 1 stick at a time. Then run a stick that passed in each slot. Will help you find out if it's the RAM or the slot/motherboard

@  Patch : (07 September 2019 - 10:45 AM)

How many RAM sticks do you have total?

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 09:57 AM)

Great, two weeks of random BSODs, and I manage to finally work out some ram has gone bad. Just need to work out which one(s) and then I can go from there.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 06:25 AM)

*just stares*

@  unluckiness : (07 September 2019 - 04:27 AM)

My french is rusty but I'd guess Italienne-americain pain du sauce

@  Nevermore : (07 September 2019 - 02:58 AM)

What do they want "pizza" to be called? Crpes superior?

@  unluckiness : (07 September 2019 - 01:11 AM)

Are they still suing Italian restaurants for having food that's insufficiently French?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (06 September 2019 - 10:31 PM)

Not even Quebec likes Quebec?

@  TM2-Megatron : (06 September 2019 - 08:51 PM)

Quebec's a special case; they just have an insatiable lust for hate

@  Ashley : (06 September 2019 - 07:48 PM)

Those weird language laws are basically anti-everyone. Who does it help to stop certain toys from being sold there?

@  TM2-Megatron : (06 September 2019 - 04:56 PM)

Canada is one of those rare countries that's paradoxically both anti-business (except for the chosen few) and anti-consumer

Photo
* * * * - 6 votes

The John "TotalBiscuit" Bain Memorial Video Review thread

6790 replies to this topic

#6581 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 12160 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 31 December 2018 - 05:07 PM

Stuff for sale; every little bit helps. :) https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/143212-for-sale-3p-mp-potp-super-sentai-stuff TWITTER: Paladin4221

#6582 Detour

Detour

Too lazy to change the avatar but Graham Linehan is a sack of sh

• Supporter
  • 20625 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 01 January 2019 - 12:08 AM

Dan Olson's Bad New Year's Eve Idea:

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#6583 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Now With Sheffield Steel!

• Supporter
  • 18170 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 01:23 AM

Oh, hey, that's the Folding Ideas guy *follows*

nzo8WYb.png

#6584 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20625 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 03:40 AM

Continued:

It's like a Neil Breen or Tommy Wiseau film: unintentionally autobiographical because the author lacks the skill to write outside their own perception, outside their own voice.https://t.co/clK7hZBuNy

— Dan Olson (@FoldableHuman) January 1, 2019

I guess part of this I should contextualize that back in 2011/2012 I spent a lot of time on the TGWTG forums trying to explain that bad copyright laws like SOPA and flawed systems like Content ID weren't created "to target reviewers"

Doug's whole "where's the fair use?" hashtag took off after they had to deal with a rash of fraudulent copyright claims that resulted in a channel strike, and it's worth noting that people lying about holding copyright in order to harass you is not, in fact, a fair use issue.

Also "what if every woman in the movie is attracted to me, the hero?" is, incidentally, a common element across Breen, Wiseau, and Walker.

Anyway, that was a weird and slightly unsettling half hour trip.

Okay, that one I will dispute - no woman is attracted to Doug in the movie. But that's because sexuality is either played for bad jokes... or everyone's too misanthropic to be attracted to each other.

— Linkara (@Linkara19) January 1, 2019

Maybe I misheard the dialogue because I was still screaming about the contrast being cranked so high that Doug's suit turned into a solid field of black, but we all got the impression that Lindsay's intro is very much she flirts with Doug and the joke is he's oblivious.

and that was pretty much the point we bailed out.

I'd love to see him do a Folding Ideas on it but that's unlikely given his friendship with Lindsay, he probably wouldn't want to bring up something so personally bad to her, and also he doesn't deserve to sit through that movie more times to prep the episode.

Edited by Detour, 01 January 2019 - 04:07 AM.

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#6585 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 12160 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 07:10 AM

Stuff for sale; every little bit helps. :) https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/143212-for-sale-3p-mp-potp-super-sentai-stuff TWITTER: Paladin4221

#6586 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28544 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 08:48 AM

The two Gundamcember's have both been disappointing. Just this weird mix of half facts, bias and lack of optimism. It was hard to sit through him doing "0083 was my first Gundam and here's why it's so great!"

#6587 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 12160 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 03:43 PM

#6588 Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore
  • Citizen
  • 8009 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 01:23 AM

Y'know, I'd never seen this guy's videos before this, but I've been in a big anime mood lately, so I checked out a few.

And I don't know if it's him I find annoying, or if I'm just completely over the NC house-style of reviewing (synopsis, joke, synopsis, movie clip, pedantic arguing with whatever was said in the clip, synopsis, self-referential joke, synopsis, yell about something). But at least one of those two things is true.

Edited by Sean Whitmore, 11 January 2019 - 01:24 AM.

PSN: SeanWhitmore

Switch: SW-7452-6932-0513

3DS: 0490-6399-8582

I did a new video thing:
https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/159447-whos-the-right-arm/

#6589 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20625 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 01:37 AM

I liked him when he just dished it out on schlocky anime but lately he's more about overanalyzing the merits and oeuvre of titninja animu makers so I haven't watched him in months...

#6590 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 28488 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:23 AM

I did like his review of Big Guy and Rusty. You could tell that he loved the show and was having fun with it.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#6591 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28544 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 08:53 AM

He has done that the thing lately where a reviewer starts to think they're deeper than they are and it makes watching boring. I still haven't finished watching his review of Wolf's Rain because he now basically does these really weird reviews where he wants to go in depth...but avoid spoilers.

For a guy whose shtick was 'No modern anime so we can instead look at overlooked stuff', he's at the point where it now seems to be a lot of looks at recent stuff he wants to gush about. And the gushy episodes thus make it really awkward when he looks at something like Swat Kats and does the Doug Walker 'I have no nostalgia for this so it's crap.' The Big Guy and Rusty episode was mentioned and there he's tripping over himself to insist on layers of subtext. Same with 0083.

#6592 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 12160 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 04:04 PM

#6593 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28544 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:59 AM

Been trying to get into the work of Tony Goldmark/Some Jerk With A Camera. I didn't expect to get much out of it given I don't really do theme parks but his stuff is actually pretty good. However, have 3 issues.

1. A lot of his stuff exists from a time when he was picked up by Channel Awesome. And it is really awkward how often he praises that and Doug across his videos given how things now stand. In particular, his BTTF 3 parter has a running joke about Doug being his abusive boss...yikes.

2. Sometimes the skits run a bit too long. In particular, one video has half it's run time given over to him having a breakdown upon discovering Disney mascots are just humans in costumes. Like it could have been a fun joke but he just keeps going and going with it.

3. One Movie Later. I dropped Brad over who he sided with on Change the Channel so been looking for a new vlog movie review series. The premise is good (Tony talks about what he's expecting a movie to be like, then expects about what he actually got). The problem is he involves at least 6 people in every episode and that gets pretty awkward. People hogging the conversation, people staring daggers at one another...again, yikes.

#6594 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 12160 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 05:00 PM

#6595 Creature SH

Creature SH

Condimented

• Supporter
  • 6112 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 20 January 2019 - 10:32 AM

In reviewerverse-adjacent news...

Largerly-disgraced and mostly-unemployed former sitcom writer Grimmasse Limeham  La Glindaman Gammon Lintfan Graham Linehan has been on the forefront of a movement to pull funding from the organisation Mermaids which provides support and resources to trans kids and their families in the UK. 

Hbomberguy witnessed that situation unfold and was taken by a great and powerful surge of spite and decided to start a stream on Twitch to raise some money to support the charity. The subject of the stream? Donkey Kong 64. The stream will not end until the rare and coveted 101% completion is achieved. He does take breaks to sleep, but the stream continues with assorted guests providing chat and shenanigans.

Now, this all sounds pretty nice and wholesome as an endeavor. What you may not have guessed if this is your first time hearing of this that this stream has been going on for 42 hours and counting and featured surprise guests including (among others) Lindsay Ellis, Jim Sterling, Natalie Wynn, Dan Olson, Laura Kate Dale, the sound designer for DK64, Donkey Kong voice actor Grant Kirkhope, and also Chelsea Manning (specifically to help out with the Beaver Bother minigame). 

Oh, and they've raised $162069 so far.

j1GI7Gi.gif

#6596 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20625 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 03:28 PM

Holy crap I thought this ended some time last night.

Over 180 grand now.

Man The IT Crowd was my religion, now I can't bring myself to watch it anymore.

#6597 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28544 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 04:22 PM

I think he followed me briefly on Twitter when I was an early anti-Brexit voice.

Then dumped me when it was clear I'm pro-transgender.

#6598 Creature SH

Creature SH

Condimented

• Supporter
  • 6112 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 20 January 2019 - 06:21 PM

As I am writing this, the stream is at hour 50, the donations have reached 210000, and Alexandria Ocasio Cortez has called in to speak about civil rights (and the Nintendo 64). 

Edited by Creature SH, 20 January 2019 - 06:23 PM.

j1GI7Gi.gif

#6599 Ironbite

Ironbite

I might be a touch....angry

• Supporter
  • 27938 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 20 January 2019 - 06:36 PM

Niiiiiice.

xC9l3eY.gif

#6600 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20625 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 07:18 PM

I'm hoping some of Linehan's old collaborators come on to give support, that'd be the thing that makes this even greater.

Also #thanksgraham went trending for a while yesterday.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users