Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Patch : (16 February 2019 - 04:26 PM)

Uh oh. Here comes a flock of Wah-Wahs.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (16 February 2019 - 10:54 AM)

Oh, that makes more sense.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 February 2019 - 07:31 AM)

Haven't given it to him yet. Not sure when I will, but soon. Wah Wah is what he calls any vehicle with a siren, and the little bugger just LOVES firetrucks. So I got him a rescue bot heatwave.

@  repowers : (16 February 2019 - 02:41 AM)

I hope he said "You've given me a wah-wah"

@  Dekafox : (16 February 2019 - 12:48 AM)

A red panda?

@  Rodimus Supreme : (15 February 2019 - 11:06 PM)

*WAH

@  Rodimus Supreme : (15 February 2019 - 11:05 PM)

THE HECK IS A WHAH WAH?!?!?!

@  wonko the sane? : (15 February 2019 - 08:54 PM)

Yay! My nephew's Wah Wah showed up today!

@  Steevy Maximus : (14 February 2019 - 08:12 PM)

BotBots are GLORIOUS

@  Pennpenn : (14 February 2019 - 07:07 PM)

A day best ignored if you're not the target demographic. Can be difficult sometimes though.

@  Paladin : (14 February 2019 - 11:55 AM)

Valentine's Day. bummer.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 February 2019 - 08:55 AM)

Or you could come to canada, where bureaucracy is a publically funded art form! So garbage and used condoms trying to make a statement about something or other, not entirely sure what.

@  Nevermore : (14 February 2019 - 06:10 AM)

We've turned it into an art form.

@  Nevermore : (14 February 2019 - 06:10 AM)

You think you know bureaucracy, but you've never been to Germany.

@  RichardT1977 : (13 February 2019 - 11:48 PM)

I think a better counterpart would be "society".

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (13 February 2019 - 11:24 PM)

Sounds like the cobra effect.

@  Echowarrior : (13 February 2019 - 05:58 PM)

I think a better counterpart for it would be bureaucracy.

@  MEDdMI : (13 February 2019 - 08:33 AM)

Is Verbesserschlimmerung a change that was intented to make things worse but made them better instead?

@  wonko the sane? : (13 February 2019 - 07:35 AM)

We have a similar word in english "government".

@  Nevermore : (13 February 2019 - 06:05 AM)

The meaning of this word is: A change that was intended as an improvement but ended up making things worse.

@  Nevermore : (13 February 2019 - 06:04 AM)

It's a portmanteau of "Verbesserung", which means "improvement", and "Verschlimmerung", which means "worsening".

@  Nevermore : (13 February 2019 - 06:04 AM)

Your new German word for today: Verschlimmbesserung.

@  TM2-Megatron : (12 February 2019 - 02:17 PM)

Fortunately it's been long enough now that the possibility exists another label like Shout Factory or Arrow could pick it up and give it an updated release.

@  TM2-Megatron : (12 February 2019 - 02:16 PM)

It's the same with their Dawn of the Dead blu-ray, and several others

@  TM2-Megatron : (12 February 2019 - 02:11 PM)

In Volcano's case it isn't so much a case just of amazon or eBay sellers... it looks like rather than releasing it directly, Fox licensed it out to Starz/Anchor Bay, and it's subsequently gone out of print

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (12 February 2019 - 01:28 PM)

There's Amazon sellers for you.

@  Telly : (12 February 2019 - 12:49 PM)

thought about buying volcano on bluray last night, until i saw the price on amazon: $135. the used ones arent much cheaper at $90. i know the 3p sellers can set any price they want, but come on. $90-$135 for a 20 year old movie that was only so-so?

@  unluckiness : (12 February 2019 - 05:12 AM)

GOt my hopes up there for a bit. Last I heard it was nebulously in 2019.

@  Maximus Ambus : (12 February 2019 - 05:00 AM)

Nope, none for REmake or Zero either.

@  unluckiness : (12 February 2019 - 04:13 AM)

Do we have a release date?

@  Maximus Ambus : (12 February 2019 - 03:51 AM)

Looking forward to RE4 on Switch, it will be my annual playthrough.

@  unluckiness : (12 February 2019 - 01:40 AM)

Don't call Floridans that. It's degrading to marine mammals.

@  Ashley : (12 February 2019 - 12:41 AM)

Oh, the huge manatee

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 February 2019 - 10:55 PM)

Anyone here ever been to the Manatee Viewing Center right outside Apollo Beach, Florida?

@  unluckiness : (11 February 2019 - 08:35 PM)

The manatees were extra eager that day.

@  ▲ndrusi : (11 February 2019 - 08:10 PM)

Maybe they accidentally got some editorial oversight for a while or something.

@  Shrug : (11 February 2019 - 07:03 PM)

And it shifted gears the season after, it's like there was a different head writer or editor or something one year

@  Shrug : (11 February 2019 - 07:03 PM)

There was some random season after the cancellation that I thought was amazing, but I don't watch the show closely enough to tell you which one it was

@  Benbot : (11 February 2019 - 01:20 PM)

Your unintentional typo is right. It is definitely tp-tier material.

@  unluckiness : (11 February 2019 - 08:36 AM)

It was never tp-tier material but I used to be able to keep it on as white noise while I'm doing something else Now, I have to switch the channel because it just pisses me off at how unfunny it is.

@  Benbot : (11 February 2019 - 08:23 AM)

I don't think it's ever been very good since the initial cancellation/revival.

@  unluckiness : (11 February 2019 - 08:03 AM)

And still the same so-called "humor" but worse

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 February 2019 - 08:00 AM)

New writers, new showrunners, fatigue. That shows had many changes over the years.

@  unluckiness : (11 February 2019 - 06:35 AM)

I don't know how it's possible but Family Guy has somehow gotten less funny.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 February 2019 - 08:47 PM)

Do you mean the retail price from when ToyBiz were making ML or the current price of vintage ToyBiz specimens?

@  B-Fox : (10 February 2019 - 08:40 PM)

Target had the entirety of the ML Deadpool Sauron BAF wave on discount. Got Omega Red and X-23 for the cost of 2 Toy Biz Marvel Legends.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (10 February 2019 - 02:30 PM)

How long do y'all wager it will be until Evolution Optimal Optimus shows at Ollie's in the U.S.?

@  TheMightyMol... : (10 February 2019 - 01:17 PM)

Kingdom Hearts 4: The Search For More Money.

@  fourteenwings : (10 February 2019 - 11:09 AM)

Actual lyrics to the ending theme of KH3: "I'm only crying 'cause I never dreamed it'd take this long."

@  Paladin : (10 February 2019 - 08:25 AM)

somebody wins, somebody dies, Disney gets all the money ever. The End.

Photo
* * * * - 6 votes

The John "TotalBiscuit" Bain Memorial Video Review thread

6613 replies to this topic

#21 Rust

Rust

all that was real is left behind

• Supporter
  • 44842 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:26 AM

Echoing the love for Brad Jones and Spoony. Nostalgia Critic is hit or miss, but mostly I enjoy Doug's stuff. Also a fan of Lupa.

Nash I watch for his Doctor Who reviews and Sage I tune in for Anime Abandon. I'll check out Nostalgia Chick or Phelous if I'm bored. As a aside, Phelous has gotten extremely better in his delivery and overall energy lately.

Linkara I'm a on again, off again watcher. I generally like his stuff, but the story bits are way too heavy handed (He's not as good an actor as he thinks he is). I was glad when Spoony started putting those at the end of the videos.

But mainly it's Brad and Spoony. They're the two I've actually gone back and rewatched reviews of because they're so entertaining (Though I really could do without the faux Sitcom set up on 80s Dan. Makes it a chore to sit through).

Matter of fact, I think I'll go and re-watch some Let's Play SWAT 4.

"YOU FOOL!"
Don't fight it, it's coming for you, running at ya / It's only this moment, don't care what comes after
Your fever dream, can't you see it getting closer / Just surrender 'cause you feel the feeling taking over
It's fire, it's freedom, it's flooding open / It's a preacher in the pulpit and you'll find devotion
There's something breaking at the brick of every wall, it's holding All that you know
So tell me do you wanna go?

#22 TheBruteSlayer

TheBruteSlayer

You honor me by giving me gas

• Citizen
  • 1137 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:30 AM

Maybe I should just rename this thread "the Brad and Spoony love orgy"...

Edited by TheBruteSlayer, 21 January 2012 - 01:31 AM.

My B/S/T thread

QUOTE(Sean Whitmore @ Jan 17 2013, 05:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't justify $60 for a red crotch.

QUOTE(Spam bot on TFW)
There's a burrito with your name on it! Click the Mr. Clean below for your chance to win a free Transformers: Dark of the Rhinox with a limited edition tape on my closet door!

#23 DeadPigmon

DeadPigmon
  • Supporter
  • 12338 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:39 AM

QUOTE(Zecora @ Jan 21 2012, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think Linkara shines with his History of Power Rangers stuff, since he can't work a story into them with the format he's using. But these are few and far between.

ooh ooh ooh!

#24 Rust

Rust

• Supporter
  • 44842 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:41 AM

QUOTE(TheBruteSlayer @ Jan 21 2012, 12:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe I should just rename this thread "the Brad and Spoony love orgy"...

icon-depth.gif

Dude, just because folks have remarked that they prefer Reviewer X over Reviewer Y, doesn't somehow invalidate your own opinion or reason for this topic. If you find the Nostalgia Critic the best out of the batch, then there's no shame in that.
Don't fight it, it's coming for you, running at ya / It's only this moment, don't care what comes after
Your fever dream, can't you see it getting closer / Just surrender 'cause you feel the feeling taking over
It's fire, it's freedom, it's flooding open / It's a preacher in the pulpit and you'll find devotion
There's something breaking at the brick of every wall, it's holding All that you know

#25 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 18480 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:46 AM

Oh, they did another anniversary bit? Where's that at?

Anyway, I like Linkara's Power Rangers stuff. Some of his comic reviews are okay, but I could do without the secondary plot... and my wife likes them even less.

Angry Joe is alright, and I like Vangelus, but I mostly watch Nostalgia Critic and Nostalgia Chick. I like them, except when they get their facts wrong...

Case in point: saying Mario and Luigi are father and son in the Mario movie. icon-waspy.gif Which wouldn't be a problem in itself, except it seems to spread, as people apparently take what he says as gospel.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

#26 Detour

Detour

STR10 DEX7 CON12 INT10 WIS8 CHA1

• Supporter
  • 20503 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:54 AM

Hah, I rewatched Spoony's Let's Play of SWAT 4 recently too. Hilarity.

Another big rewatch in Spoony's stuff are the two Insano reviews, Ferris Bueller's Day Off and The Dungeonmaster.

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#27 Bass X0

Bass X0
  • Citizen
  • 43840 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:57 AM

I watch Nostalgia Critic and Linkara every week. I also watch the Nostalgia Chick when she updates.

I just enjoy the reviews even of those movies and comics I've never heard of before or already know I don't like. Don't care much for the sub-plots though.

Brute Force is a crazy comic though. Hard to believe Marvel axed Transformers G1 due to low sales then had Furman write this crap. They wanted some toy company to approach them to make toys of Brute Force? Come on Marvel, thats dumb. I actually didn't know it was Furman who wrote Brute Force in the review of the first issue - but I recognised a Furmanism.

Just because you can't win doesn't mean you stop working.

#28 Mr Smitt

Mr Smitt

The Trukk-Munky

• Citizen
  • 1771 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:39 AM

Spoony, Brad, Joe, Oan, Todd and Nash are the only folk on the site whose video's I wouldn't miss, although some of the other reviewers do have some series I'll occasionally watch like Anime abandon or HoPR.

#29 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 11256 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:09 AM

QUOTE(LBD @ Jan 21 2012, 01:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, they did another anniversary bit? Where's that at?

"Suburban Knights?" Should be up on every contributors' main site, and its on DVD now.

Stuff for sale; every little bit helps. :) https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/143212-for-sale-3p-mp-potp-super-sentai-stuff TWITTER: Paladin4221

#30 Orc

Orc
  • Citizen
  • 59 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:08 AM

Going to have to echo the love for Doug, Spoony and Nash.

I've grown a bit tired of Linkara's storylines, but I did really enjoy the Lord Vice arc.

I only watch the others if I have time to spare.

#31 Rust

Rust

• Supporter
  • 44842 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:10 AM

Lord Vice was probably the last "good" story Linkara did. MissingNo was just weird and the latest one with Mechakara was just not well designed at all. Especially since he basically broke narrative flow to do his review (Hence why such things work better at the end of a review).

#32 Lancer

Lancer

Always angry

• Citizen
  • 24674 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:44 AM

I like the NC, Spoony, Sage and Linkara. I DO wish Linkara wouldn't do his little story arcs, but hey.

#33 2019

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:48 AM

Ever read Linkara's comic Lightbringer?

Wow.

PM me if you're bored!

#34 DeadPigmon

DeadPigmon
  • Supporter
  • 12338 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:49 AM

QUOTE(Hora Hora @ Jan 21 2012, 11:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ever read Linkara's comic Lightbringer?

Wow.

It's always good for unintentional laughs

#35 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

That was then, this is now.

• Citizen
  • 9178 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 11:24 AM

The Critic's the only one I make a point of watching every week - I used to be a regular Linkara viewer, but I grew increasingly tired of his intrusive, laughably faux-dramatic story nonsense - little more than an excuse to play Power Rangers dress-up with his she-beast girlfriend, near as I can tell. I'll echo whoever said earlier he's not as good an actor - physical or voice - as he seems to think he is (because why keep doing it otherwise?) And his reviews in the last few months have become progressively more and more nitpicking, harping on worthless nerd-based criticisms (Star Trek, Silent Hill) instead of really addressing the stupidity or plotting flaws of the stories. "Marville" is the only one I've watched since Secret Origins Month ended, but I wound up giving up and jumped through the final few minutes because of the persnicketiness of the criticism. And their run-times have REALLY started to drag on. Everyone's always telling me Spoony and Brad are the ones to watch, but I've not got around to it yet, short of Brad's DVR Hell segments, which I've enjoyed.

Edited by Chris McFeely, 21 January 2012 - 11:30 AM.

#36 Esser-Z

Esser-Z

I'm never going down at the hands of the likes of you

• Citizen
  • 32946 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 11:55 AM

The best person associated with the site is Dr. Ashen, who has his own site anyway. icon-fire.gif

Edited by Esser-Z, 21 January 2012 - 12:00 PM.

#37 Rust

Rust

• Supporter
  • 44842 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 11:57 AM

QUOTE(Chris McFeely @ Jan 21 2012, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
little more than an excuse to play Power Rangers dress-up with his she-beast girlfriend, near as I can tell.

That's really rather harsh. Yeah Liz is homely, but she seems like a nice person overall. And speaking from experiences, looks mean jack squat when it comes to the worth of a person.

Also, are they dating or were they just roommates? I ask because I know she's moved.

And his reviews in the last few months have become progressively more and more nitpicking, harping on worthless nerd-based criticisms (Star Trek, Silent Hill) instead of really addressing the stupidity or plotting flaws of the stories. "Marville" is the only one I've watched since Secret Origins Month ended, but I wound up giving up and jumped through the final few minutes because of the persnicketiness of the criticism.

The problem with Marville is that that persnicketiness is the whole reason for the comic's existence. It's one big inside joke of the comic book industry - that if you don't work for the comic book industry, you won't get any of the jokes.

That being said, he summed up his entire review with that clip from BTAS "Mad Love". Could have ended it right there.

Everyone's always telling me Spoony and Brad are the ones to watch, but I've not got around to it yet, short of Brad's DVR Hell segments, which I've enjoyed.

If you're a fan of Z-List Horror, the Cinema Snob really is a lot of fun. I especially get a kick out of his Nudist Colony of the Dead and Silent Night, Deadly Night 2 reviews.

#38 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 11256 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:00 PM

I can recommend two more under-appreciated members/shows from TGWTG-

*Paw's Music Movies offers an entertaining look at films based mostly on the soundtracks.

*JesuOtaku's "History of Digimon" is a fascinating retrospective on the Digital Monster sagas.
Stuff for sale; every little bit helps. :) https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/143212-for-sale-3p-mp-potp-super-sentai-stuff TWITTER: Paladin4221

#39 Pocket

Pocket
  • Citizen
  • 4103 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:47 PM

Doug is... frustrating. I hate his shouty overreacting routine that seems to be what everyone else seems to just love to pieces since he's made it into his "thing" (though the hammyess makes it less uncomfortable to watch than James Rolfe's impression of an angry autistic manchild). But when he's doing a sincere review or even just a deadpan snarky one, it's fine. That's why I love pretty much all of his top 11 videos and the Nostalgia Chick's earlier videos when she was basically aping that style.

Linkara I've gotten in the habit of hanging behind on and watching in clusters when I get severely bored, for some reason. Of the people I can tolerate, he's the most borderline on account of his voice. Though surprisingly he's not a bad voice actor when he's doing mock voices for characters like Batman, Superboy Prime, and '90s Kid. Heck, even Harvey Finevoice. (He's kind of like me in that respect.)

Surprised nobody's brought up Todd in the Shadows yet. I looked up his old YouTube account once out of morbid curiosity thinking he was just another of those wannabe music snobs who say Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga are singlehandedly (doublehandedly?) responsible for the death of good music forever and espousing TEH METAL as the One True Religion (it's always metal for some reason, never indie rock or something, strange)... and was pleasantly surprised to discover that no, he's not like that at all. He makes a lot of good points about the distinction between good pop music and bad pop music, when he does pretend to fly into a rage, his voice is a lot more tolerable than most people's, and his snark is very funny at times. If you can stomach listening to the clips of cheesy pop songs he inserts in between the shots of him critiquing them, I urge you to check him out.

If you ever somehow become a Catholic saint, be aware that they will harvest your bones and build altars around them.

#40 D.M

D.M
  • Citizen
  • 2922 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:54 PM

QUOTE(TheBruteSlayer @ Jan 21 2012, 05:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I didn't see a thread about him that wasn't old or even an official disscusion, so I made this thread.

For those who are unaware of him, Nostalgia Critic is a character
played by reviewer Doug Walker who reviews bad (and some good) nostalgic movies and TV shows.
He has tackled some of the worst movies there are such as Batman and Robin, the (poorly) animated Titanic movies,
Battlefield Earth, and the horrendously awful Garbage Pail Kids.

His latest review:

Nostalgia Critic: Star Trek 3 - The search for Spock

Full list of reviews here

I'll try to update this thread every week with his latest video.

OOH! Let me guess... there are bunch of Shatner jokes, right? And Christopher Loyd Doc Brown jokes plus the OH-SO-HILARIOUS "I was frozen today"?

QUOTE(Goblez @ Jan 21 2012, 06:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
NC can be hit and miss sometimes. don't know how a guy can get so many viruses to get delays in this day and age.

I hate 90% of the other people on that site. I like Spooney, FilmBrain (sometimes) and Vangelus but everyone else bores me to tears with their little mini stories they try to insert into a damn review.

I don't want to see some god damn terrible live action fanfiction in a review.

Indeed.
Though I'd say "dislike" instead of "hate".

Edited by D.M, 21 January 2012 - 01:02 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users