Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (21 January 2021 - 10:20 AM)

*screaming internally*

@  -LittleAutob... : (21 January 2021 - 09:46 AM)

Everything is f i n e

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 January 2021 - 08:30 AM)

Everything's okay until it isn't. That's life.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 January 2021 - 08:12 AM)

Oh my god... I forgot entirely about yellowstone.

@  tigerhawk : (21 January 2021 - 03:32 AM)

Until the third civil war. Or yellowstone, whatever's good.

@  Nevermore : (20 January 2021 - 06:01 PM)

That's not true. An adult man is in control of the White House now.

@  repowers : (19 January 2021 - 03:18 PM)

Everything's out of control.

@  -LittleAutob... : (19 January 2021 - 09:51 AM)

*cough* w h a t?

@  Donocropolis : (19 January 2021 - 09:48 AM)

Cause your friends don't dance, and if they don't dance they ain't no friends of mine

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 January 2021 - 08:52 AM)

You could leave your friends behind.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (18 January 2021 - 09:43 PM)

You could if you really wanted to.

@  -LittleAutob... : (18 January 2021 - 01:35 PM)

Nadie puede decir algo diferente >:D

@  -LittleAutob... : (18 January 2021 - 01:35 PM)

......... all wounds heal through God. *walks off*

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 January 2021 - 01:01 PM)

Let me know when the WEAPONs wake up.

@  tigerhawk : (18 January 2021 - 05:18 AM)

Or is the wound the Earth healing.

@  unluckiness : (18 January 2021 - 03:32 AM)

Healing is just destroying the wound

@  PlutoniumBoss : (17 January 2021 - 06:08 PM)

But eventually destroys everything.

@  tigerhawk : (17 January 2021 - 05:03 PM)

Heals many wounds

@  PlutoniumBoss : (17 January 2021 - 02:03 PM)

Time.

@  wonko the sane? : (17 January 2021 - 07:53 AM)

I dunno, maybe. I'm not clairvoyant either...

@  Nevermore : (17 January 2021 - 04:30 AM)

Covid?

@  wonko the sane? : (16 January 2021 - 09:50 PM)

At this point, if I'm going to die then it won't be the wait what killed me. It didn't help any, mind you, but it's not what got me.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 January 2021 - 09:37 PM)

Technically we are all literally dying to play with our next figure.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 January 2021 - 05:36 PM)

I am figuratively dying to play with that cheetor.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 January 2021 - 04:39 PM)

Still waiting for my box from BBTS to arrive.

@  tigerhawk : (16 January 2021 - 04:29 PM)

Kingdoms is fantabulous and it's only the first wave.

@  tigerhawk : (12 January 2021 - 12:10 PM)

My Super Collection Megatron always had two left legs and I just discovered my Thrilling 30 Crosscut has two right hips.

@  Nevermore : (11 January 2021 - 07:56 PM)

Fortunately, it's only Netflix Hound, so not really much of a loss here.

@  Nevermore : (11 January 2021 - 07:55 PM)

So it's been a while since I've had a misassembled Transformers toy.

@  Echowarrior : (11 January 2021 - 10:02 AM)

More Micromasters would be welcome.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 January 2021 - 06:15 AM)

Instructions unclear, have more sports cars.

@  tigerhawk : (11 January 2021 - 01:57 AM)

Or they could make the other Micromasters of the teams they half assed.

@  ▲ndrusi : (10 January 2021 - 11:20 PM)

There should be a box set of eight Stakeouts.

@  Bass X0 : (10 January 2021 - 08:27 PM)

There should be a box-set of Thrust, Dirge and Ramjet. But I'm not expecting it.

@  Nevermore : (10 January 2021 - 07:51 PM)

I hope there are re-releases this year!

@  tigerhawk : (10 January 2021 - 03:59 PM)

I hope there's rereleases of Earthrise Ramjet, Dirge and Ratchet next year.

@  wonko the sane? : (08 January 2021 - 07:51 AM)

Oh no, he was loved. I'd argue he could have had a better life physically, but he was loved. Deeply.

@  Telly : (08 January 2021 - 01:42 AM)

as long s/he gave love and was loved, it was a good life

@  Echowarrior : (07 January 2021 - 11:10 PM)

Poor puppy. Poor kid.

@  CORVUS : (07 January 2021 - 03:04 PM)

My condolences :(

@  wonko the sane? : (07 January 2021 - 10:45 AM)

So: My sisters dog just had a heart attack and died... while her 12 year old son was walking him. Welcome to 2021 everybody!

@  Dekafox : (04 January 2021 - 07:24 PM)

Except they're Deceptican'ts usually.

@  Devcon : (04 January 2021 - 05:17 PM)

Depending on which dub: Either Decepticons or Decepticans.

@  Bass X0 : (04 January 2021 - 05:03 PM)

Deception is the French word for disappointment. What does that make the Decepticons in France?

@  Echowarrior : (03 January 2021 - 11:29 PM)

We're just tiny little specks, about the size of Mickey Rooney.

@  TheMightyMol... : (03 January 2021 - 04:33 PM)

It's a great big universe, and we're all really puny.

@  Rycochet : (03 January 2021 - 01:30 PM)

That's orbiting at nineteen miles a second, so it's reckoned, a sun that is the source of all our power

@  Rycochet : (03 January 2021 - 01:30 PM)

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving and revolving at nine hundred miles an hour.

@  TM2-Megatron : (02 January 2021 - 11:57 PM)

relative to the speed that it's swirling around the centre of the galaxy, its rotation is fairly slow

@  PlutoniumBoss : (02 January 2021 - 09:31 PM)

I'd like to make myself believe that planet Earth turns slowly.

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Anime thread: All Year Every Year

5205 replies to this topic

#5181 ZakuConvoy

ZakuConvoy
  • Citizen
  • 766 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 04:03 PM

Okay, so I know this is completely random, but does anyone else think Dr. Kazutaka Muraki from Descendants of Darkness (aka the white-haired glasses guy) sounds a LOT like Doctor Barber from the Marvelous MIsadventures of Flapjack (aka the bald muttonchop guy who likes SURGERY)?

I know it's just because they have a similar "monotone" style of talking, they aren't the same voice actor or anything. Still, it's just...weird to me.  Is it just me?  Am I crazy?  Whenever Muraki opens his mouth in the dub, I expect him to start to go on about SURGERY.

Edited by ZakuConvoy, 26 October 2020 - 04:08 PM.

#5182 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 4437 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 27 October 2020 - 06:34 PM

Started watching Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle, honestly, this so far has turn out better than I expected, taking the old Fairy Tale idea of a captured princess and turns things sidwards, instead of the Hero's quest to rescue the princess, its the princess's story of what to do while imprisoned in the demon's castle and that is sleep but her problem is getting to sleep and she goes to great lenghs to achive her goal and the results are really funny, the art is also nice, if you want a anime to brighten up your day and give you a bunch of laughs, I would recomend this one!

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#5183 NovaSaber

NovaSaber

Soundwave is colorblind

• Citizen
  • 6355 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 02 November 2020 - 10:23 PM

Well this came out of nowhere. They're making the first new Getter Robo anime in 17 years, and it's based on the Getter Robo Arc, the last manga by the series' original creator Ken Ishikawa. (Hope he left notes for how it was supposed to end.)

#5184 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 4437 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 08:13 PM

Watching: BOFURI: I Don’t Want to Get Hurt, so I’ll Max Out My Defense, honestly, I quite like this anime, the REAL world side of things is very similar to SAO but the game world is totally different, the main character is a blast, while certainly different compared to Kitto, as she more of a happy go lucky kind of girl, I'm up to ep 5 and there been two in game events and its kind of getting to the point where the characters who are the game developers refuse to acknowledge her existance as she sort of surpassed last boss status! If you want a fun anime to watch, I recomend this one, its just so funny!

#5185 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 9857 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 17 November 2020 - 03:02 PM

Ya, Bofuri was fun and cute. Still getting tired of the OP MMO protag trope but they played it good for laughs here.

Switch code: SW-6538-7795-1972

#5186 Daith

Daith

• Supporter
  • 9857 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 02:36 AM

So been finding more Anime music all over ITunes lately. A good amount of Gundam and Geass Soundtracks, but just found the opening and ending themes of Outlaw Star!

Akino Arai has a lovely haunting voice.

#5187 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 24448 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 03:49 AM

Sailor Moon poll resulted in Sailor Uranus as top character.

There's also a "favorite episodes" poll. People sure loved the ones with deaths and resurrections.

Edited by NotVeryKnightly, 10 December 2020 - 03:51 AM.

#5188 Daith

Daith

• Supporter
  • 9857 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 10:30 AM

Ok that poll sure shoots my expectations down quite a bit. Never thought Uranus was that popular. Weird that their civilian identities were treated as separate choices too.

Man thanks to all the delays I have a glut of anime to consume next month. Not sure if I will have time for any other media in the next few months. :D

#5189 andymoor

andymoor
  • Protoform
  • 2 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 14 December 2020 - 07:54 AM

Made in Abyss. That anime was a masterpiece

#5190 Daith

Daith

• Supporter
  • 9857 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 12:59 AM

God I'm going to die of sweetness from watching Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear. I watched the first episode out of curiosity and now I'm hooked. It's the silliest Isekai I've seen, but also the most wholesome. I'd have no problem watching this with my nieces. I mean whats wrong about an OP adventurer girl running around being the mary sue savior of a fantasy land while wearing Bear suit pajamas :D

Have no idea why it's rated TV-14. Maybe the Bath scene but it only shows her from the shoulders up. And the one time she gets out of the Bear suit she looks at her underwear without the camera showing her at all with just her hands holding the panties. And the violence is toned down, though it does show her friend butchering animals with a little bit of blood and the animal carcasses seem to be torn up a tad at times. But nothing I think deserves a TV 14 so far.

#5191 Daith

Daith

• Supporter
  • 9857 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 03:18 PM

And Kuma Bear gets a second season! I mean it's not the best series there is by far but I do enjoy seeing something a bit more wholesome continue.

On the other side of the coin "How Not to Summon a Demon Lord" got another season coming in the spring?! Um yay for more tig elf bittys?! Did not expect that to last another season.

But on that note Winter is a glut of returning series that has me wondering how much I'm going to be able to keep up with!

Continuing on are stuff like Digimon Adventure, Attack on Titan, Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai, and Yashahime, but after January we have more restarting.

Dr. Stone S2

Re:Zero S2 P2

That Time I got Reincarnated as a Slime S2

The Quintessential Quintuplets S2

The Promised Neverland S2

Log Horizon S3

and more that I'm not probably that into.

And theres a few series beyond the returning ones that I might take a peek at like "So I'm a Spider, So What?"

God I guess it's good that I currently have no life outside work currently.

#5192 fourteenwings

fourteenwings
  • Citizen
  • 2539 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 07:58 AM

JIreA75.jpg

Kiratto Pri☆Chan is now streaming on Crunchyroll.

Dreams do come true.

Fortune favors the bold

✰Japanimation Connoisseur✰

#5193 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 4437 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 06:14 PM

Currently watching Black Clover for the first time, not a bad series, has its moments but its not the greatest based on a shoen Manga, Astra's main character traits are:

Yelling (A LOT)

Working out to the point where things happen and it should kill a normal person

Swinging his swords around

And finally, making friends from a lot of people including his fellow Black Bulls

#5194 fourteenwings

fourteenwings
  • Citizen
  • 2539 posts

Posted 05 January 2021 - 07:43 AM

When people mentioned that Astra yelled a lot, I didn't expect it to actually matter, but it was quite grating. I'd probably have gotten used to it if I'd stuck with the show, and it's reassuring to know big brand shounen can still be created.

Fortune favors the bold

✰Japanimation Connoisseur✰

#5195 Daith

Daith

• Supporter
  • 9857 posts

Posted 05 January 2021 - 02:24 PM

I watched the first few episodes and found Astra as annoying to me as early Naruto. It probably does get better as time goes on but I'm not in for another yell fest all the time. Heck I'm surprised I stuck with Dr. Stone with as much Taiju yells things all the time early on. I'm kind of glad they tossed him aside early on to focus on the villagers instead.

#5196 ZakuConvoy

ZakuConvoy
  • Citizen
  • 766 posts

Posted 05 January 2021 - 11:02 PM

I assume you guys are watching the Japanese version of Black Clover.  This is one of the few times that I can say the English dub is actually better.  I've been mostly watching this via Toonami and I didn't really get why people were so hard on this show...until I watched a few clips of the Japanese version.  Yeah...that voice is a lot.

Edited by ZakuConvoy, 05 January 2021 - 11:02 PM.

#5197 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 4437 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 05:59 PM

I assume you guys are watching the Japanese version of Black Clover.  This is one of the few times that I can say the English dub is actually better.  I've been mostly watching this via Toonami and I didn't really get why people were so hard on this show...until I watched a few clips of the Japanese version.  Yeah...that voice is a lot.

I'm watching in subs, I tend to steer clear of dubs because once you heard the Japanese voices and then the English voices, you can easily tell a lot of the English voices are just inferior but that's my take! Anyway, I just watched ep 106 and came to the conclusion that the Black Bulls are pretty much a crazy bunch of people.

For the series in general, I feel its better thought out than Seven Deadly Sins is but its weak point is not really showing what a lot of the core cast do when they not got a mission and mainly chilling at the base, thou I also have complaints with the character of Yuno, sure he gets more powerful and is Astra's rival/brother but take away that and his power, there is very little to his character, he mostly still a blank slate waiting to be written upon, like, what would he do when or if he became the Wizard King, Astra's goals are more defined, while he wants to become the Wizard King, he also wants to improve people's lives and get rid of the thoughts that many of the royals have where they look down on those who have far less magic, thus I feel that Yuno is looking to be Wizard King for the sake of his rivally with Astra, thus I think he could benefit from some character development like what are his views on the world and the royals?

#5198 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 37046 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 08:11 PM

I'm watching in subs, I tend to steer clear of dubs because once you heard the Japanese voices and then the English voices, you can easily tell a lot of the English voices are just inferior but that's my take! Anyway,

I've never once felt that way; there are times where even the original creators prefer the English Dub to the Japanese one, like Cowboy Bebop. Then you get cases like Miyazaki's films where, iirc, he has to approve of the Dub before he'll allow it because he got tired of the inferior releases.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#5199 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 24448 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 08:16 PM

I've never once felt that way; there are times where even the original creators prefer the English Dub to the Japanese one, like Cowboy Bebop.

From a cursory search, this seems to be one of those things people held true just because it's repeated often, but nobody's ever produced an actual source for.

#5200 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19515 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 08:23 PM

I'm watching in subs, I tend to steer clear of dubs because once you heard the Japanese voices and then the English voices, you can easily tell a lot of the English voices are just inferior but that's my take! Anyway,

I've never once felt that way; there are times where even the original creators prefer the English Dub to the Japanese one, like Cowboy Bebop. Then you get cases like Miyazaki's films where, iirc, he has to approve of the Dub before he'll allow it because he got tired of the inferior releases.

The Cowboy Bebop thing is apocryphal, but there are a good number of anime that seem more thematically appropriate in English.  Black Lagoon and Baccano! being at the very top of that list, alongside Bebop since it shares a lot of blood with the American "Film Noir" genre (but also Hong Kong action films).

I personally find it rather easy to flip back and forth between sub and dub.  I can't claim the Japanese version is superior when I don't understand the language, or its nuances enough to discern a truly excellent or truly bad delivery.  I can only guess on intonation, and the baseline Japanese acting style is very "hammy" such that it kinda hides a lot of that.  I find that Gurren Lagann is a very good measure of both styles, and I could go either way on the language on that one.  Japan knows its over-the-top, hot-blooded cheese and delivers at its very best for that series.  But its more emotional moments are somewhat lost on me there, and I felt that nuance comes across way better in the dub to me, especially when it comes to Kamina's more brotherly moments to Simon.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users