Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (06 May 2021 - 10:18 AM)

Best of luck man.

@  electricidad : (05 May 2021 - 03:22 PM)

GOOD LUCK, NEVERMORE!

@  Nevermore : (05 May 2021 - 03:14 PM)

The election committee whose chairman I am has been preparing this election since February. There's no real gain for me either way, so I don't care that much for the outcome, but it's going to be a stressful day for me either way.

@  Nevermore : (05 May 2021 - 03:13 PM)

Wish me luck. Tomorrow is this year's supervisory board election at my workplace, and I'm the guy in charge of organizing the election.

@  tigerhawk : (05 May 2021 - 01:30 PM)

I have two Overlords one was faulty with a melted foot and they never took it back but replaced it, I just checked the guns, both the handles seem to be turning white.

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 May 2021 - 07:38 PM)

REVELATION! Towering war machines more durable than nerd!

@  Telly : (04 May 2021 - 07:18 PM)

pansy. my trypticon AND scorponok took a header from 4 feet up and only had parts pop off that were easily reattached. guess 'cons are tougher...

@  tigerhawk : (04 May 2021 - 04:03 PM)

My TR Perceptor fell and the titan master peg in the leg snapped off. Fortunately I have the Legends one.

@  wonko the sane? : (02 May 2021 - 08:50 PM)

It's a fairly well known fact that "it's a wonderful life" only became popular after it dropped into the public domain. So, yeah, they probably did.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (02 May 2021 - 08:29 PM)

I read an interesting observation on Twitter. If it is the natural course of a human to grow into Grandpa Abe yelling at a cloud, but nostalgia also yields rose-tinted glasses for the likes of one's youth, then did Greatest Generation adults bemoan how Baby Boomer children loved box office flops such as The Wizard of Oz and It's a Wonderful Life?

@  Steevy Maximus : (02 May 2021 - 09:54 AM)

You’re traveling down a rabbit hole I dare not follow

@  Otaku : (02 May 2021 - 09:26 AM)

At the same time, with my almost non-existent knowledge of Japanese and how oddly some things translate, seeing "Gorgeous Giorgios Gorges" made me wonder if that would make it "JoJoJo"... which now has my brain terrified of a weird Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo/Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Crossover. @[email protected]

@  Otaku : (02 May 2021 - 09:24 AM)

It is always weird when things align.  This talk of Gorgeous Giorgios Gorges in the SquawkBox reminded me of King Gorgeous Gorge on the FoxBox.

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 May 2021 - 08:52 PM)

Nice

@  Nevermore : (01 May 2021 - 09:03 AM)

I got one even better: After that character by the name of Gorgeous Giorgios dies in a gorge, they name that whole area after him: The Gorgeous Giorgios Gorges.

@  tigerhawk : (30 April 2021 - 01:56 AM)

Paint apps did slide notably during TR, wave one's Titan Masters had detail but wave 2 onwards was absent of them. Wave 5's Ramhorn, Dreadnaut, Scorchfire and Aimless had detail but Murk and Hazard didn't, can't speak for Flameout as I got Legends Twintwist and Slugslinger.

@  kizudarake : (29 April 2021 - 04:50 PM)

Anyone here got any g1 jet fire parts for sale?

@  wonko the sane? : (29 April 2021 - 04:12 PM)

Other than a few overly tight joints, the paints apps are my single complaint about the generations line.

@  tigerhawk : (29 April 2021 - 02:25 PM)

I just saw Legends Leo Prime now I wish Titans Return Alpha Trion had a few more paint apps for ship mode.

@  walruslaw : (28 April 2021 - 09:33 PM)

dagrimbo

@  CORVUS : (27 April 2021 - 08:11 PM)

Indeed.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (27 April 2021 - 04:59 PM)

CORVUS: considering that reply, I'm pretty sure this was just another instance of Bass posting poorly-defined drivel as if it were profound.

@  TheMightyMol... : (27 April 2021 - 04:24 PM)

Given the last year and a half or so, is it any surprise?

@  Bass X0 : (27 April 2021 - 04:12 PM)

People are snapping already it seems.

@  Kaon : (27 April 2021 - 12:15 PM)

I like the Shattered Glass Megatron's alt mode

@  CORVUS : (26 April 2021 - 07:30 PM)

I'd like to know what society he's talking about, and what qualifies as "nothing", TBH.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (26 April 2021 - 05:09 PM)

I don't see the point in such a poorly defined "everyone is terrible" statement. He's not complaining about any specific people or specific problems.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (26 April 2021 - 05:06 PM)

I do not see anything about Bass's comment that felt a need for you to attack him.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (26 April 2021 - 04:35 PM)

Bass: does that "everyone" include yourself or are you just trying to act like you're better than everybody without actually proving anything?

@  wonko the sane? : (26 April 2021 - 04:10 PM)

Mostly it's "oh, don't say that right now" and "better learn when to duck".

@  Bass X0 : (26 April 2021 - 04:05 PM)

There's something to be said about society when everyones just an inch away from snapping over nothing.

@  Steevy Maximus : (26 April 2021 - 02:17 PM)

WalMart is a cruel mistress. Today she runneth over...tommorrow, she'll be barren as a desert.

@  -LittleAutob... : (26 April 2021 - 12:21 PM)

I love Wal-mart now- They have way more Transformers figures than Target- last night I came home with a WFC Authentic Wheeljack even though I was torn between wanting TFP Arcee and TF: The Movie Blurr, two figures I have never ever seen before-

@  -LittleAutob... : (25 April 2021 - 10:29 AM)

Spelling intended lol

@  -LittleAutob... : (25 April 2021 - 10:29 AM)

Curious Geogore

@  NotVeryKnightly : (25 April 2021 - 07:54 AM)

"My name is Giovanni Giorgio, but everybody calls me Giorgio"

@  MEDdMI : (25 April 2021 - 07:52 AM)

New JoJo villain, GoGio

@  TheMightyMol... : (25 April 2021 - 07:52 AM)

Is this a Jojo?

@  Nevermore : (25 April 2021 - 06:49 AM)

Now I suddenly have a character with the name "Gorgeous Georgios" in mind.

@  -LittleAutob... : (24 April 2021 - 04:00 PM)

H A -

@  Nevermore : (24 April 2021 - 01:58 PM)

Saint Georgios Day?

@  Donocropolis : (23 April 2021 - 06:59 AM)

more like Saint GORGEOUS Day.

@  tigerhawk : (23 April 2021 - 04:59 AM)

Saint Georges Day.

@  Sabrblade : (21 April 2021 - 11:55 PM)

Glenn Morshower would agree. He goes to auditions with his shoes full of syrup.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 April 2021 - 04:28 PM)

Please, maple syrup can only improve alot of content.

@  Donocropolis : (21 April 2021 - 03:33 PM)

Well, not release it into Canada, no. You'd just get maple syrup all over it.

@  TM2-Megatron : (21 April 2021 - 03:21 PM)

what bothers me most about Canadian rights is that, oftentimes, the rights holders for certain content don't even seem to have any interest in releasing it

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 April 2021 - 10:46 AM)

It'd be mostly the same even in a world with global copyright law, since even the shortest terms are very long.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 April 2021 - 10:39 AM)

You got me, I just want to watch cartoons without having to pirate them for once.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 April 2021 - 08:41 AM)

Also, how would copyright law standardization be enforced? I doubt any country's governments would be eager to start trade sanctions over it.

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Anime thread: All Year Every Year

5247 replies to this topic

#5141 Monique

Monique

Chaotic Neutral

• Retired Staff
  • 8696 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 09 July 2020 - 12:15 AM

Just finished watching Brand New Animal and.. its okay, i guess? I wanted to like it more because its Trigger but the show really just spends most its season introducing this city, concepts, and characters about it then mostly just abandons them or forgets about what they previously stated.Then suddenly it races into a finale that doesn't exactly come out of nowhere but definitely feels like it needed more time and episodes to really set up and resolve. It just sorta happens. It sets itself up for a second season but.. it really is hard to be interested in a second season with the first didn't really feel like it did a whole lot.

Visually its nice to look at, and it has some interesting concepts but.. man it feels like a concept for a series rather than a series.

#5142 Daith

Daith

Is this the Way?...

• Supporter
  • 10020 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 09 July 2020 - 09:07 PM

ReZero season 2 stated today. Went to watch some Rem goodness.........

OMG WTF! HOW DARE THEY!

Switch code: SW-6538-7795-1972

#5143 Whirl

Whirl
  • Citizen
  • 25380 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 12:13 PM

Brand New Animal is the only anime this year that interests me (not a fan of the isekai and slice of life/moe shows that are dominant these days) and I absolutely loved it. Anima City was a cool setting and there were a lot of fun episodes (the baseball one is my favorite because of how it brings Trigger's usual over-the-top insanity to baseball; it's a fun episode). Also the color palette is really nice, almost Promare-ish. I'm wondering if Trigger's going to move to that 80's-ish neon pink and blue color palette for their future productions; I wouldn't mind that at all. The one problem I have is that it's too short. Like, there's so many stories they could tell and I'm sad that Trigger doesn't do multiple seasons of their shows, otherwise we could see a lot more from it.

Overall BNA gets an 8.75/10 from me. Trigger's always good wrt character design and animation and all the characters in this show were fun. Also Marie's human form is pretty cute

now to go back to not watching any new anime for the rest of the year and just rewatching old stuff like gurren lagann, little witch academia, pop team epic and jojo and finally getting around to cells at work

Edited by Jet, 17 July 2020 - 12:19 PM.

D&D has to report to shareholders. Pathfinder only has to impress its neckbeards.

#5144 chiasaur11

chiasaur11
  • Citizen
  • 3061 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 19 July 2020 - 12:47 AM

Brand New Animal is the only anime this year that interests me (not a fan of the isekai and slice of life/moe shows that are dominant these days) and I absolutely loved it. Anima City was a cool setting and there were a lot of fun episodes (the baseball one is my favorite because of how it brings Trigger's usual over-the-top insanity to baseball; it's a fun episode). Also the color palette is really nice, almost Promare-ish. I'm wondering if Trigger's going to move to that 80's-ish neon pink and blue color palette for their future productions; I wouldn't mind that at all. The one problem I have is that it's too short. Like, there's so many stories they could tell and I'm sad that Trigger doesn't do multiple seasons of their shows, otherwise we could see a lot more from it.

Overall BNA gets an 8.75/10 from me. Trigger's always good wrt character design and animation and all the characters in this show were fun. Also Marie's human form is pretty cute

now to go back to not watching any new anime for the rest of the year and just rewatching old stuff like gurren lagann, little witch academia, pop team epic and jojo and finally getting around to cells at work

Have you watched Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken? Eizouken is my anime of the year right now, and it's not even close.

Basic pitch is that three high school girls form a film club. 

Fun characters, lively Yuasa motion, and a great look at the process of making an anime. It's also easy AND breezy!

Sadly, this year's other Yuasa anime, Japan Sinks isn't the same level of quality. 

No, that's not quite what I meant to say. Arguably, they're even at the exact same level of quality on an absolute scale. By which I mean that Japan Sinks is every bit as crap as Eizouken is good. (Which for those keeping track, would make it very crap indeed.) I've talked about Eizouken elsewhere, so I'll leave it at "Watch Eizouken", but Japan Sinks is... just so very bad. And worse, it doesn't feel like it has heart, which is deeply weird for something with Yuasa's name on it. The show feels more like it's just trying to bottle that Crybaby lightning again above all else. I mean, yeah, Miki Makimura was one of the best characters in that, but that doesn't mean I want the next anime I see from Saru on Netflix to be about a half-Japanese track star who speaks fluent English. Most Yuasa shows are distinct even as they share the same spirit. You wouldn't mistake Ping Pong for Eizouken, or Kaiba for The Tatami Galaxy. But Japan Sinks desperately wants you to mistake it for Devilman, even as it loses the stylistic flourish that made it so memorable. It's the flaws without virtues. 

It's not worth the watching.

#5145 Whirl

Whirl
  • Citizen
  • 25380 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 03:04 PM

I've heard good stuff about Eizouken and been meaning to watch it, actually

D&D has to report to shareholders. Pathfinder only has to impress its neckbeards.

#5146 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 4636 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 21 July 2020 - 05:08 PM

Re-watching: Astra Lost in Space, honestly, I really like this series, it maybe short but the story is intersting, the cast is likable and it has a good balance of dramatic moments that suddenly transform into comical moments, I really recomend this series

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#5147 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 24890 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 10:39 AM

Yuki Yuna Is a Hero Franchise Gets 3rd TV Anime

Oh wow, this franchise is still alive.

#5148 Omgiamonfire

Omgiamonfire

Maybe on Earth. Maybe in the Future.

• Citizen
  • 14434 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 12:24 AM

Yuki Yuna Is a Hero Franchise Gets 3rd TV Anime

Oh wow, this franchise is still alive.

I'm surprised, S2 seemed like a pretty closed ending for the main cast. Can't complain all that much tho.

"Whether it's directly or not, you prey on others to live. That reality never changes. And it's the same for everyone here."

#5149 Daith

Daith

Is this the Way?...

• Supporter
  • 10020 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 11:50 PM

#5150 fourteenwings

fourteenwings
  • Citizen
  • 2634 posts

Posted 16 August 2020 - 08:45 AM

So, DECA-DENCE...

Spoiler

Fortune favors the bold

✰Japanimation Connoisseur✰

#5151 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 12083 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 16 August 2020 - 10:46 AM

Spoiler

Edited by Cybersnark, 16 August 2020 - 10:46 AM.

#5152 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 24890 posts

Posted 16 August 2020 - 12:09 PM

Spoiler

How often do 12-episode anime ever revive a character so they could die again?

#5153 fourteenwings

fourteenwings
  • Citizen
  • 2634 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 12:02 AM

Spoiler

In saying all this, I do want to add I really look forward to this show every week. The reason I stuck with it after episode 2 was because I believed it would have something interesting to say, and frequently it does! I think the anime zeitgeist would be worse off without it, but that's not to brush off that I believe it hasn't lived up to making good with the veer in course (I'd have been very happy to watch something in the tone of episode 1 too).

Edited by fourteenwings, 17 August 2020 - 12:03 AM.

Fortune favors the bold

✰Japanimation Connoisseur✰

#5154 Blot

Blot

Grumble grumble complain grouse.

• Citizen
  • 9293 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 22 August 2020 - 12:03 PM

#5155 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 4636 posts

Posted 22 August 2020 - 03:26 PM

Just watched the latest ep of SAO, honestly, I think the fate of POH while deserving, its kind of brutal and a bit overkill but then he was a monster to say the least and given what happening all of a sudden and what Kittro did to him, I don't think he going to recover any time soon.

#5156 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 12083 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 23 August 2020 - 07:21 PM

Rap battle out of nowhere:

(I love that Yui is the only one who sees anything unusual about this.)

#5157 Daith

Daith

Is this the Way?...

• Supporter
  • 10020 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 12:22 PM

The next episode of the new Tenchi OVA went live on Crunchyroll and it seems every new episode adds more and more characters that I have no flipping idea who they are by just watching the anime.

Its still focusing on raising Kenchi for his eventual role on Geminar, but this was a fun island getaway, with surprising little going overboard with the fan service. Though things are swinging the FS bat in another direction as Tenchi is contemplating his relationship with the girls after being envious of Seinas relationships with his gaggle of gals.

That and Washu must of started a Pokémon like Ryo-Ohki daycare because they are multiplying!

#5158 Daith

Daith

Is this the Way?...

• Supporter
  • 10020 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 10:14 PM

Ah a friend from last year just popped onto Crunchyroll

Spoiler

#5159 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 4636 posts

Posted 09 September 2020 - 01:28 PM

Just watched the latest ep of Deca-Dence, its a pretty desent series, the desgins of characters flip flopping between two different styles but yet it somehow works!

#5160 Daith

Daith

Is this the Way?...

• Supporter
  • 10020 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 01:40 PM

So it seems we are finally nearing the end of the Alicization arc of SAO. I will admit it is getting tiresome of Kirito winning in the end because he is the god tier messiah of the virtual worlds. That and what was even with the villains and their BS powers near the end this time?

That said I am more enthused in what is happening in the larger narrative.

Spoiler

Also with the arc ending and all I'm wondering further if Reki Kawahara meant for the accelerated time in the Underworld to be a tie into Accel World as a form of it predating the Brain Burst program. I know there has been small non canonical stories that have had Kirito and Silver Crow meet including the straight up crossover video game. but it's always been like an easy jump from the SAO technology to get to the eventual point of the Accel World tech.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users