Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 07:33 AM)

Huhn. Penny arcade was right, the division 2 is literally 3 dollars...

@  Steevy Maximus : (17 February 2020 - 11:05 PM)

Oh, Wicked Cool Toys got the Halo toy license. This is a big year for Jazwares

@  Steevy Maximus : (17 February 2020 - 07:02 PM)

iTunes/Apple TV has the complete Cowboy Bebop series for just $5!

@  fourteenwings : (17 February 2020 - 12:41 AM)

The Samsung Galaxy B-TOOM!

@  Paladin : (16 February 2020 - 07:20 PM)

business is booming.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 February 2020 - 06:49 PM)

SAmsung has you covered. Exploding phones.

@  Patch : (16 February 2020 - 05:21 PM)

Modern problems require modern solutions.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (16 February 2020 - 05:21 PM)

Japan seems to have a tradition of murder things where cellphones facilitate the killing instead. Like King's Game and Doubt.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 February 2020 - 05:17 PM)

Or there's just conveniently no reception, or all of their phones are dead at the same time. Or they're just stupid and forget about them.

@  Patch : (16 February 2020 - 04:41 PM)

Now the slasher villain has to go and knock over the nearest cell tower before butchering horny teenagers.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 February 2020 - 03:54 PM)

Think of all the horror and mystery movies that involve the bad guys cutting the phone line. Now think about how many people don't even have a land line to cut anymore.

@  Telly : (16 February 2020 - 03:47 PM)

its like that scene in commando. the bad guy has to get to a phone to call the big bad to tell him arnold isnt on the plane. that wouldnt happen today

@  Rycochet : (16 February 2020 - 03:18 PM)

Watching early episodes of the x-files will make you feel super old once you start to notice the techology they use, and the technology they lack.

@  Maximus Ambus : (16 February 2020 - 01:00 PM)

This guy.

@  Roddie Luver : (15 February 2020 - 10:55 PM)

Hey

@  Kalidor : (14 February 2020 - 03:01 PM)

The ones that get me are the "Uploaded 12 years ago" ones

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 February 2020 - 02:49 PM)

Makes you feel old, don't it?

@  Maximus Ambus : (14 February 2020 - 02:38 PM)

While browsing Youtube vids I read these comments: 'The X Files is such an underrated show' and another 'Brent Spiner is a underrated actor' I want to punch something.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 February 2020 - 12:16 PM)

Besides: cupid freaks me out. "Find someone to love, or I'll SHOOT YOU".

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 February 2020 - 12:11 PM)

It's just the day before Cheap Chocolate Day.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 February 2020 - 12:08 PM)

Meh, just more game time.

@  Paladin : (14 February 2020 - 10:55 AM)

Valentine's day. Bummer.

@  Otaku : (14 February 2020 - 10:41 AM)

So is that an occasion for congratulations or condolences, Telly?  I see it as a good thing, but that is a matter of personal preference; easier for me to keep straight who is who when the names don't change. XP

@  Telly : (14 February 2020 - 12:48 AM)

damn. ive been going by "telly" on here for nearly 14 years...

@  TM2-Megatron : (11 February 2020 - 08:06 PM)

I've seen it. It didn't really deliver on the title

@  Paladin : (11 February 2020 - 05:28 PM)

we don't need to see that. we're living it.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 February 2020 - 03:42 PM)

Anyone seen an old British movie called 'The Earth dies screaming' it's like a Doctor Who serial minus the Doctor.

@  TriBlurr : (09 February 2020 - 11:58 AM)

Needs more zone defense. Call Scrapper

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 February 2020 - 11:29 AM)

MORE POINTS FOR BLITZWING!

@  Donocropolis : (09 February 2020 - 09:33 AM)

MP-7 Thundercracker recovers....he's at the 40....the 20....AND HE SCORES!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (08 February 2020 - 10:37 PM)

Reserved for Masterpiece Kup.

@  Sabrblade : (08 February 2020 - 09:49 PM)

MP-10 Convoy redecoed.

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 February 2020 - 06:56 AM)

MP-9 Rodimus self-destructed.

@  Nevermore : (08 February 2020 - 06:51 AM)

MP-5 Megatron removed.

@  Bass X0 : (08 February 2020 - 05:20 AM)

MP-50 Tigatron and MP-51 Arcee revealed.

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 February 2020 - 02:26 PM)

SkiNNEERRR

@  Maximus Ambus : (07 February 2020 - 02:12 PM)

Superintendent Chalmers is hilarious too, or was when he was played straight. "An unrelated article." "mm hm." "Within the banner headline."

@  PlutoniumBoss : (06 February 2020 - 09:03 PM)

"I'm not a real Mister but I am a real Burns I am an actual Burns..."

@  Darth Gonzo : (06 February 2020 - 06:02 PM)

Optimus looks like his Siege figure. Maybe this will be canon to the Transformers ongoing comic series at the moment.

@  Cyoti : (06 February 2020 - 05:13 PM)

iirc megatron ended up in equestria at the end of gi joe v tfs

@  wonko the sane? : (06 February 2020 - 05:02 PM)

I doubt megatron will fall for that friendship stuff.

@  Darth Gonzo : (06 February 2020 - 02:04 PM)

My Little Pony/Transformers is really happening cool!

@  Paladin : (06 February 2020 - 12:49 PM)

I don't know...

@  TheMightyMol... : (06 February 2020 - 12:39 PM)

Okay, Mr. Burns. What's your first name?

@  Paladin : (06 February 2020 - 12:21 PM)

i believe you have a letter for me.

@  Maximus Ambus : (06 February 2020 - 12:11 PM)

My name is Mr Burns.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (06 February 2020 - 11:52 AM)

*Walks in and immediately disappears into a bush like Homer Simpson.*

@  TheMightyMol... : (06 February 2020 - 05:05 AM)

Crossgrin OTP

@  TriBlurr : (05 February 2020 - 09:38 PM)

If anyone at IDW is reading this. Feel free to make that canon

@  TriBlurr : (05 February 2020 - 09:36 PM)

Sweet I can ship him with...*throws dart at board* Skullgrin??? Sure that works

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Anime thread: All Year Every Year

5057 replies to this topic

#5021 Dekafox

Dekafox

Foxy Dragon

• Citizen
  • 1539 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 10:34 AM

Anyone seen this one, and can say if what the guy posted is accurate?

https://myanimelist....anaka__Tokunana
pretty much is just shadowrun but the squad are police special forces. you got your human face, elf driver, brawling vampire adept, "dwarf" streetsam gunslinger, humunculus decker/rigger and the Mc who just probably did a lifepath character.

#5022 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 23282 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 29 October 2019 - 11:24 AM

Though I haven't seen it, "government officials deal with fantasy races" anime has been a minor "in" thing lately, (Anime News Network first episode impressions compared it to two different shows) so I'm a little doubtful that the Shadowrun-ness is intentional.

But also, can an actual Japanese thing be as weeaboo as Shadowrun?

Edited by NotVeryKnightly, 29 October 2019 - 02:41 PM.

#5023 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 3732 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 07:59 PM

Just catching up on Legend of the Galactic Heroes: The New Thesis, honestly, this series is pretty good in terms of character development and story, while its a war story, its less about the space battles and about the political side of the war on both sides of the war, thou its primary lead characters are soldiers in two very different miltray forces, I seen the original anime but this one does it justice and yet also remain faithful to its characters looks.

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#5024 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5358 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 04 November 2019 - 12:43 PM

So I have a dumb question, but trying to google this isn't helping.

(I want to say before we begin that I don't think this makes or breaks the show, but I'm curious)

So I got the Code Geass DVDs off a friend, and noticed that yes the Pizza Hut logos were removed.

Now I'm hearing Funimation's releases kept them in tact? Is anyone able to confirm this?

It's a secret to everybody

Spoiler

#5025 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 9298 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 04 November 2019 - 01:19 PM

Not sure. I dont remember seeing the logos when I was streaming off of Funimation and havent double dipped on DVDs to know.

Switch code: SW-6538-7795-1972

#5026 fourteenwings

fourteenwings
  • Citizen
  • 2058 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 01:18 AM

The first Code Geass DVDs were by Bandai so they might have had a different policy (or maybe Funi just decided they were too iconic to leave out).

All that really matters is we could be friends

✰Japanimation Connoisseur✰

#5027 emmybaker

emmybaker
  • Protoform
  • 1 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 07 November 2019 - 07:14 PM

I am loving Metabots. The idea is that In 22nd century Japan, everybody and their grandmother has a Robot Buddy, manufactured by the Medabot Corporation and creatively called Medabots, robots powered by medals which effectively serve as their brains. Ikki Tenryou is a plucky ten year old whose parents won't buy him a Medabot, and he refuses to save his allowance for one.

Bought Tokyo Ghoul Anime Toys from CutePlushies.net and I'm lovin' it!

#5028 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 3732 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 08:05 PM

Currently watching Kiddy Grade, not the greatest series, its rather average and it takes some time for the main plot to really get started, like nine eps before a major event happens but the series is more a case of problem of the week than anything else.

#5029 fourteenwings

fourteenwings
  • Citizen
  • 2058 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 11:43 PM

For the first time, domestic streaming revenue at 59.5 billion yen (US$542.7 million) has surpassed that of home video releases at 58.7 billion yen (US$535.4 million).

Welcome to the New Era.

I wonder why nobody has done a rundown of the JP anime streaming landscape. I know there's dAnime Store and Bandai has their own thing, as well as Netflix and Prime Video, but not much more than that.

#5030 fourteenwings

fourteenwings
  • Citizen
  • 2058 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 01:04 AM

Youkai Watch Jam

It's Winter. 2020! It's a whole new year of anime to obsess over, so I thought I'd go over some of the more promising or fanfare worthy series.

When there was an announcement for the Darwin's Game anime, I assumed it would be a quick attempt at pleasing the fans of the death game genre. Of course, I knew it would have decent enough animation, but it was something that I was assuming would be a footnote of 2020 for the average fan.

Then the promo stuff started.

First of all, this somehow became an Aniplex flagship alongside Magia Record. Of course, it's one approaching the investment of something like Grancrest Senki rather than THE danged Magia Record (also happening this cour) but that's still a bigger deal than I expected.

I guess as a death game story, Darwin's Game is more Deadman Wonderland than Ousama Game, so there's a lot of fun to be had with that in a mainstream sense rather than a specific one.

Which brings me to Magia Record! Yes, the Madoka franchise returns to TV! Let's see how well a mobage plot holds up under scrutiny, let alone one directed by... the animation studio behind the Witch's Labyrinths?

Then we come to Kadokawa's original anime entry for this cour; ID: Invaded. I was quite excited for this from the outset, because it has perpectual "guy with ideas" Aoki Ei behind it.

Well, he had one idea, really -Re:CREATORS-, and nobody wanted it. So much so that he appears to have been pushed out of TROYCA entirely and is directing his latest work at... NAZ? DRAMAtical Murder and second season of Hamatora NAZ? Uh, well then.

I assumed this would be snatched up by Netflix, but that was before I understood how "we're going to try for greatness on a budget" this was. Then again, it's not like Netflix hasn't gone there before *cough*two entire seasons Sword Gai*cough*

Meanwhile, Twin Engine-slash-Geno Studio continues to bring us the weird and wonderful with pet, which sounds like a less-sexed-up take on Dorei-ku The Animation. I have no doubts about it being a compelling story, but there's always the question if they'll ever have the cultural relevance of Golden Kamuy ever again.

In the world of LNs, the vaguely popular LN series <Infinite Dedrogram> finally gets it's own anime adaptation. Having read the LNs, I can't say I didn't find the world interesting, and I'm curious to see how they'll adapt the very first episode (if they do manage to do the "different perspectives including 3D and photorealistic-ness" scene any justice) but I have to say I'm not a fan of much after the first LN.

Lerche have really surprised me with the animation quality they're bringing to Jibaku Shounen Hanako-kun. Having never read the source material, I have no idea what it's about, but it is indeed very pretty.

In a bit of genre confusion comes the shounen... fashion/modelling anime Runway de Waratte (Smile Down the Runway). Basically everything about this screams shoujo, which I would be on board with, but there's always the fear that this is just the fashion/modelling equivalent of that perpetual emotion-tugging machine Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso/Your Lie in April.

Now for the Otome roundup;

A3!, the most popular Otome charasong project on the planet until Hypnosis Mic came along, finally gets it's anime adaptation. Let's see if it can leverage some of that popularity or if it truly has been eclipsed by Hypnosis Mic.

In addition, ARP Backstage, which is based on a "Holographic Live Concert" project by avex makes it's way to anime. The synopsis so far seems very loosely sketched, but the CG seems promising enough. Plus, it's one of the few otome projects that isn't massively overcrowded from the start.

#5031 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 3732 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 05:50 PM

Magia Record is one I will watch, everything else, is a case by case basis.

I finished up Vinland Saga, to be honest, its not as great as many people make it out to be, the main problems are for me:

The main character lack of screen time and development as a character, he pretty much the same under developed character since the begining

The openning of the series, they could of saved time by telling the story through flashbacks and narative it.

About my favourte from the season just gone would be Grandblue Fantasy the Animation, has a similar vibe to the early days of One piece without the Devil fruits and a more streamlined plot

#5032 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11470 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 07:28 PM

I finished up Vinland Saga, to be honest, its not as great as many people make it out to be, the main problems are for me:
The main character lack of screen time and development as a character, he pretty much the same under developed character since the begining

I feel like that was the point. This wasn't Thorfinn's story, it was Askeladd's (and before that, it was Thors'). Thorfinn's inability to move on from his vendetta was the whole point of his arc (as Askeladd pointed out in the penultimate episode, and as Leif, Canute, Bjorn, and even Thorkell, of all people, have been telling him), and now he has no choice.

#5033 Daith

Daith

• Supporter
  • 9298 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 11:41 AM

Ok Im kinda irked now knowing that the Oresuki anime purposely left itself on a cliffhanger just so it could put out an OVA later to cap the series. That is a really hugged up way to get people to buy the series. Just makes the filler episode 2 episodes from the end all the more stupid.

That and after waiting half a year for SAO to continue they are breaking War of Underworld into 2 divided seasons too! Primus Slag It!

I know it could be worse. It could be years between or never continued. But it gets kinda tiresome fast when a show is finally hitting a high point and bam! Your stuck waiting for months and all the momentum built up just deflates like a Patriots field goal football.

Edited by Daith, 01 January 2020 - 11:42 AM.

#5034 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 23282 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 01:31 PM

Ok Im kinda irked now knowing that the Oresuki anime purposely left itself on a cliffhanger just so it could put out an OVA later to cap the series. That is a really hugged up way to get people to buy the series. Just makes the filler episode 2 episodes from the end all the more stupid.

It's based on a still not finished book series. The OVA episode surely can't be the actual ending either...?

Edited by NotVeryKnightly, 01 January 2020 - 01:40 PM.

#5035 Daith

Daith

• Supporter
  • 9298 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 05:24 PM

Even if that is the case, the OVA will end up being the end of this story arc so it's still a lousy stunt to pull.

#5036 fourteenwings

fourteenwings
  • Citizen
  • 2058 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 11:50 PM

That is a really hugged up way to get people to buy the series.

Considering modern practices, it'll probably end up on Crunchyroll in a few months, so it's really only mildly annoying rather than completely exploitative like it used to be.

That and after waiting half a year for SAO to continue they are breaking War of Underworld into 2 divided seasons too!

Yeah I learned about this a few days ago too. What's next? Six episodes in Spring and then six episodes in fall?

I'm betting the SAO thing might be more about the level of work they need to put in on the animation versus actually wanting to split it.

#5037 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11470 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 12:54 PM

Yeah I learned about this a few days ago too. What's next? Six episodes in Spring and then six episodes in fall?

Cartoon Network's broadcast model has much to answer for.

#5038 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 3732 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 05:33 PM

Watching My Hero Academia, for the first time, seen odd clips of this show, its not that bad so far, thou it takes its time building the main character and his, how to best put it, sensei? The story is intersting enough, thou in someways, I think it could benefit from One Punchman's humor as the jokes are rather dry and not really funny, thou in someways, I think the two series could be sort of set in the same world thou their main characters rather like two sides of a coin, one wanting to get stronger and more powerful while the other, so strong, they are completely bored out of their mind.

#5039 Chromedome113

Chromedome113
  • Citizen
  • 244 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 15 January 2020 - 04:25 AM

I'm really enjoying this, it's real nice and educational about animation.

Edited by Chromedome113, 15 January 2020 - 04:26 AM.

#5040 Daith

Daith

• Supporter
  • 9298 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 11:21 PM

Get ready to get back in the Database. Log Horizon season 3 is confirmed for fall.

Just got the complete series on blu ray last week and happy to see it continue.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users