Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 August 2019 - 01:35 PM)

Dunno what we'd call a Megatron combiner, we almost got a Megastator in IDW but nothing in Combiner Wars.

@  Paladin : (18 August 2019 - 01:30 PM)

somehow read that as "Megachronic." wonder if Decepticons get the munchies...

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 August 2019 - 11:30 AM)

Skywarp can barely form a coherent sentence half the time.

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 August 2019 - 11:24 AM)

If Cyclonus combines into Galvatronus, does Skywarp form Megatronic?

@  Pennpenn : (18 August 2019 - 09:12 AM)

There's something weird about starting to type Good Omens into a media store's search bar and having it come up with Queen's greatest hits compliations.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (18 August 2019 - 12:07 AM)

Well then they need to re-release Vector Prime. :D Of course I would accept Vector Prime Headmaster with Alpha Trion as the head.

@  unluckiness : (18 August 2019 - 12:05 AM)

That said, the bendy sword is ridiculous.

@  unluckiness : (18 August 2019 - 12:05 AM)

I dunno, the old one is still pretty good by modern standards and the clunkiness is somewhat in-character.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (17 August 2019 - 08:37 PM)

We need a new vector prime

@  Paladin : (17 August 2019 - 03:59 PM)

just don't leave Cybertron Vector Prime out in the sun or his wings will melt.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 August 2019 - 03:17 PM)

@Nevermore Duly noted.

@  Rycochet : (17 August 2019 - 02:12 PM)

I have three Cybertron Vector Primes, wouldn't throw them around though. I love that design too much,

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 August 2019 - 02:03 PM)

I'm just picturing someone throwing a pile of Vector Prime toys around. I don't know why.

@  Rycochet : (17 August 2019 - 01:42 PM)

Multi Vector Assault mode is what they go into when they think anyone's even slightly infringing on their IP.

@  Ashley : (17 August 2019 - 02:30 AM)

They MIGHT have done it for Star Trek Online ships, but even if they have that'd be a fairly specific category.

@  Tieria Prime : (17 August 2019 - 02:11 AM)

Hi friends

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:05 AM)

So only if Viacom/Paramount has actively trademarked the term "multi-vector assault mode", offered goods or services under that name and has been offering those goods and services in recent years, Hasbro cannot offer goods or services under that name in the same category.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:04 AM)

And they need to be consistently used on top of that.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:03 AM)

Even if they are trademarked.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:02 AM)

Words and terms used in dialogue shouldn't be affected.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:02 AM)

Also, the trademarks only apply in commerce. You use them to identify goods and services.

@  Ashley : (16 August 2019 - 11:55 PM)

Yeah, you also need to apply for it. They might've never bothered to trademark that.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (16 August 2019 - 08:37 PM)

Trademark affects titles and product names, not every word in writing. For example, DC called their character "Captain Marvel" as recently as 2014.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 August 2019 - 08:30 PM)

You missed my point. I was addressing the usage of the phrase in dialogue. Hence the quotation marks.

@  Pennpenn : (16 August 2019 - 08:00 PM)

Well, they can anyway, they might just not be able to call it that...

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 August 2019 - 06:54 PM)

It would be awesome for Transformers to have the likes of Overlord and Sky Lynx "engage multi-vector assault mode!"

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 August 2019 - 06:53 PM)

It is a shame that "multi-vector assault mode" is probably trademarked for Star Trek.

@  unluckiness : (15 August 2019 - 10:54 PM)

Only if they manage to boomer-proof it

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 08:16 PM)

(and would that really be a bad thing?)

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 08:16 PM)

Wouldn't a cybernetic singularity actually remove one or more of the top levels of Maslow's hierarchy?

@  Steevy Maximus : (15 August 2019 - 07:40 PM)

Tomy made some strange selections on their first wave of Tomica releases for the US

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 August 2019 - 06:26 PM)

Resistance is futile.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 August 2019 - 06:20 PM)

I would be down for a nice cybernetic singularity if it meant we could actually reach the top of maslow's hierarchy.

@  Ashley : (15 August 2019 - 05:44 PM)

I'm pretty sure the origin of the villains in GaoGaiGar was a computer being told to reduce the stress of the population and it's answer was to assimilate everyone.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 August 2019 - 01:53 PM)

Executions then followed by nano reanimation then cryonic suspension until everyone you know is deactivated for good so you can build happiness in a future society.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 August 2019 - 01:47 PM)

As opposed to the ones that lie already? As a civilization: we're emotional and socially broken. Might as well have the society that at least wants us to be "happy".

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 11:48 AM)

Or you'd have a lot of people lying about their emotional state to avoid being executed.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 August 2019 - 11:18 AM)

That would actually be a massive step up: since there's a LOT of stuff needed to quantify happiness, and it could only be an improvement over the existing governments which actually don't care if you live or die, never mind if you're "happy".

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 10:02 AM)

Happiness is mandatory, citizen. Failure to be happy is treason. Have a nice daycycle!

@  unluckiness : (15 August 2019 - 01:46 AM)

Maslow's hierarchy of needs

@  MrBlud : (14 August 2019 - 09:46 PM)

Humanity is pretty forgiving if you take care of its basic needs. "Freedom" and "Privacy" don't have much hold when you can't afford food, shelter, or medicine.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 August 2019 - 03:29 PM)

Something something peace through tyranny.

@  Maximus Ambus : (14 August 2019 - 02:43 PM)

You probably will have a house, AI overseers will crack down on stress, poverty, homelessness and human administration.

@  Rycochet : (14 August 2019 - 02:36 PM)

The bad news is they'll probab;y be made and operated by Amazon so will record every single thing you do and transmit it to their datacenters so theycan have human operators sift through it and laugh at footage of you dancing in your socks or having intercourse.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (14 August 2019 - 02:32 PM)

What if I don't have a house by then?

@  wonko the sane? : (14 August 2019 - 02:32 PM)

If the robot will do the cleaning, I don't care if it's mandatory. I'm sick of moping floors.

@  Maximus Ambus : (14 August 2019 - 02:05 PM)

humanoid service robots, one for every house in the west. ETA: 2050. household robots will be mandatory.

@  Rycochet : (14 August 2019 - 02:03 PM)

All I know is it'd be tragic if those evil robots win. I know she can beat them.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 August 2019 - 01:53 PM)

Big ones? Small ones? Ones as big as your head?

@  Rycochet : (14 August 2019 - 12:22 PM)

The robots are pink. Someone call Yoshimi!

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Anime thread: All Year Every Year

4984 replies to this topic

#4961 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 22400 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 23 July 2019 - 08:48 AM

22/7 anime is totally happening.

I still can't whether these are supposed to be characters or just avatars for their actual performers.

#4962 Blot

Blot

Grumble grumble complain grouse.

• Citizen
  • 8008 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 26 July 2019 - 11:01 AM

Dirty Pair on Blu-Ray.  ALL the Dirty Pair

Edited by Blot, 28 July 2019 - 07:33 PM.

#4963 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 22400 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 11:42 AM

Had to edit the above because the embed was a bit big.

If the auto-embed isn't working for anyone, try "paste as plain text".

#4964 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 3290 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 06:27 PM

Currently watching Saint Seiya the original, I already watched the modern one from Netflix, I feel the modern one lacks heart, partly because its all CGI but also because the story just seems rushed, the original anime is better in terms of story pacing, its not dragged out or rushed, at least that's what I can gage from the first seven eps compared to the Netflix verison which is currently just six eps and feels like they just want to get this over and done with as quick as possible.

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#4965 fourteenwings

fourteenwings
  • Citizen
  • 1717 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 11:44 PM

Netflix really needs to stop pretending 6x23m episodes constitute an anime "season", especially when they're just holding on to the back half anyways.

I'm not surprised to hear it's rushed considering it's a long-running shounen manga adaptation and nobody's looking to watch just 13 or so episodes of that.

All that really matters is we could be friends

✰Elon Musk's 'Biggest Fan'✰

#4966 Dekafox

Dekafox

Foxy Dragon

• Citizen
  • 1220 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 11:53 PM

I think 13 eps covered just the tournament in the original, if even that.  Maybe it'll get people to seek out the original material though - I actually watched Omega first, then went back and saw the original series, Hades, etc.  Probably a lot of the folks watching the new one would think the original is too dated though...

Also, didn't they gender-swap Shun in the Netflix version?

#4967 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28452 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 03:19 AM

Based on stuff said by creators of MST3K, Netflix are getting very particular about stuff being paced by what they've noted as most people's max binge watch. This seems to average about 6 episodes/3 hours.

Likely not helped by them slowly losing their library.

#4968 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 3290 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 06:57 AM

I think 13 eps covered just the tournament in the original, if even that.  Maybe it'll get people to seek out the original material though - I actually watched Omega first, then went back and saw the original series, Hades, etc.  Probably a lot of the folks watching the new one would think the original is too dated though...

One character so far did get a gender swap from male to female, I can't say if either verisons are faithful to the manga has I not read it, yet thou personally, I think the Netflix one would of been better off with 2D animation than CGI it just seems like with CGI animation, they are limited on the visuals, I seen Netflix's Ultra Man and the Saint Seiya series has the same animation style and both just feel like they were put together with very little heart!

#4969 fourteenwings

fourteenwings
  • Citizen
  • 1717 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 08:56 AM

Netflix are getting very particular about stuff being paced by what they've noted as most people's max binge watch. This seems to average about 6 episodes/3 hours.

Likely not helped by them slowly losing their library.

Isn't having literally the exact same number of episodes as a single binge watch not helping their case? I mean, it's TV, not movies. Unless they've noted that people tend to just drop things constantly it feels odd to insist on only having a show be as long as one sitting.

Plus, isn't Netflix's main format outside of animated and kid's series the 40-60m episode?

They did.

It seems Netflix Saint Seiya is mainly an American production in terms of story (as in the series composition and all of the scripts), but I'm not sure where it is in terms of production. The director is part of the Japanese side.

Mainly it sounds like how Man of Action gutted Bakugan (though it was Spin Master's idea to make the episodes 11m long, so I can't blame them for that at least).

they are limited on the visuals

I've seen CG anime done well. On Netflix even. Both ID-0 and revisions were mainly CG productions, but I really liked how both presented the characters. However, they did have issues with model movement (though to be fair ID-0 escaped that by being set in space where there was zero gravity most of the time). I mainly liked the style they used for the faces, which was... disjointed from the rest of the CG to be honest, so they looked more anime and so could emote more.

The Saint Seiya CG looks as if the whole thing was built from the ground-up in the style of a modern kid's movie or cartoon, including the faces, which makes it less appealing.

Whilst I'm on the topic, it was funny to learn that the show was made English-first with the Japanese dub having to work with the English footage (since you obviously aren't going to have two entire video sources with different mouth-animation for what is essentially a Netflix trial) because the English dub is pretty bad.

#4970 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 3290 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 07:55 PM

Just watched the latest ep of Demon Lord, retry, it was really funny towards the end with the Holly Maidens

#4971 fourteenwings

fourteenwings
  • Citizen
  • 1717 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 11:28 PM

I've been watching Pretty Rhythm - Rainbow Live a lot lately and I hate to admit that what started out as an innovative show in the idol/competition sphere feels like it was hijacked by lots of side-characters, to the extent that it basically stifled the six main characters' story and development, which strangled all the goodwill I had for them.

At first I didn't want to admit it because this is a show I've been putting off since it aired, but now that I have I feel better. I mean, really I should feel worse because I might as well have kept putting it off and imagining it as an amazing story I was putting off because I have bad taste.

#4972 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 22400 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 10:14 AM

There's a preview for the VR shield girl anime.

This is such a Kadokawa thing.

#4973 Xellos

Xellos

Go Home Club

• Citizen
  • 1225 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 11:15 AM

Oh, I love that manga. I really hope funi gets it so I don't have to wait long to see it.
"Cry Havoc, and let slip the perspicacious death paw equipped cat girls of war!" - Hououin Kyouma - Steins;Gate

#4974 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 3290 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 04:26 PM

Just watched the latest ep of Astra lost in space, I'm quite enjoying this series, the mystery involved within the story and the various characters being given time to shine as the back stories are revealed for each of them.

#4975 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28452 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 12:33 PM

So at the risk of looking like a massive poser I finally decided to try and watch Symphogear. I downloaded season one a few years ago and got up to about episode 4 but much like my big chronological Gundam rewatch (which had reached SEED), marathoning anime kinda fell by the wayside due to my political work.

Watched season one so far and really enjoyed it. The animation is often low budget but it's a fun ride with just the right amount of melodrama and the philosophical stuff actually works, like how the show tries to avoid casting anyone as a damsel

The moments of 'English' are really bad and I feel sorry for the subbers trying to make sense of it. It's not even simply read clunky, the lines themselves are badly structured to. Azz repurted!

Fine's motivations tie into the themes of the show but kinda come out of nowhere so I hope what it implies gets explored by the following seasons. I did really like Hibiki just accepting at the end they were dealing with an immortal and so leaving her with "I'll do what I can with my mortal life. I hope you get better when I'm not here and you keep reincarnating."

#4976 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 3290 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 04:23 PM

With Symphogear, the following seasons the stories do get a bit better thou Fine's motives aren't seriously explored as new villians appear along with new users and Fine is pretty much forgotten, with the later seasons which bring in new villians. Hibiki's armour gets a serious change in between seasons but then she also gets new equipment as apart of it, yet she never actually holding the weapons instead they are the armour. The series may not be the best around, but its still a fun watch and has a couple of openning good theme songs, thou my personal favs are seasons 1 & 4.

#4977 fourteenwings

fourteenwings
  • Citizen
  • 1717 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 11:49 PM

Fine's motives aren't seriously explored

I'd say Fine's motive is simple enough. It's a tragic story taken at face value and I don't think it requires more than that. I mean, her motives do indeed come out of left field but Symphogear's whole thing is left field nonsense that works.

Fine is pretty much forgotten, with the later seasons which bring in new villians

Technically, the only "new" villains in Symphogear who weren't mentioned in previous seasons at least in passing are Carol and the Autoscorers, who kind of brought Alchemy to the forefront of the series as the force opposed to Song (and S.O.N.G.).

I personally thing G is the best, GX faltered so significantly as to make me wonder if the magic had been lost, AXZ confirmed the magic had been lost (but hey, it had Aoi Shouta!) and XV revived whatever little faith I had in the series.

The animation is often low budget

It gets much better in that regard, at least.

#4978 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 3290 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 04:25 PM

The for a couple of days, I was watching Revisions from Netflix, honestly, its a dull anime, the animation is rather standard, the story is fairly predictable considering its a show that partly having time travel, the worse part of the show is the main character, think Eren from AOT but instead of being angry and having a black & white view of the world, you exhange that for someone who thinks of themselves as a hero and believes whole heartly they are destined to be a hero that they come off more of a jerk, that is how bad the main character is, the surpporting characters feel rather generic and don't get much development, the whole plot makes very little sense even for a time travel series that mostly a paradox. In general, its one of the worse anime I've seen, there was potental but it feels wasted on dull characters.

I really needed to get that off my mind, Revisions is just plain bad, the animation is passable by today's standards but nothing to make it stand out, the main character cannot get his ego under control for more than half the season, so do not bother with this anime that is my recomendation!

#4979 fourteenwings

fourteenwings
  • Citizen
  • 1717 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:36 AM

I liked revisions and I actually liked the main character, because it was obvious that he was meant to be an insufferable kid whose emotional growth had been stunted long ago. His friends basically treating him like fragile glasswork really helped with making his viewpoint seem less legitimate too. There were a lot of times throughout the show where Daisuke is shown to be plain wrong and he has to change how he approaches things. I mean, at one point the whole team resolves to just lock him up and go on with their business!

revisions, as a show, had this issue where it promised you six main characters and only actually cared about three (Daisuke, Milo and Keisuke), with MariMari chipping in from time to time. In terms of the characters, the only one I honestly disliked Nicholas in his little dog/teddy-bear form. The boisterous attitude was not endearing at all.

I liked the animation, but it wasn't amazing to any degree. It was serviceable, and from that they managed to create a distinctive enough style. I didn't love how certain recurring characters were portrayed in 2D entirely because they'd probably run out of budget, but that was amusing in it's own way.

I thought that revisions had it's moments certainly, outside it's main characters even. The city hall squad proved interesting roadblocks in a few episodes, and I always appreciate the effort when a show tries to inject some sort of real world sensibility into it's outlandish scenarios. However, I'm not saying it was successful. It was just fun enough not to cross into being annoying.

I think the time-travel aspect was handled pretty well, actually. Or, at the very least, I liked those episodes where it was the main focus. However, I don't like how with Netflix anime, there always seems to be a promise of a new season eventually, so the world mythos is left underdeveloped on purpose. revisions had a future we were yet to see that could have been a lot of fun to interact with, but what we ended up with was a black box that ended up just giving Milo orders that didn't make much sense without context.

So, yeah, it's not the best, but also not the worst.

#4980 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28452 posts

Posted Today, 01:06 PM

Marathoned G in a day.

So yeah, this absolutely does pick up with the dangling plot threads from season one which makes me happy. I really like it when a show has the sense to say "People would care about this and focus on it".

Maria's group are awkward. I get the idea is they're forcing themselves to save humanity but they're so amateur in the first half and then the second half over compensates by ratcheting up the drama.

Ver is an entertaining villain but I wondered how his ploys worked given how transparently evil he was. The cast all know how twisted he is and then 5 seconds later put faith in him.

Hibiki's plot was interesting but feels like the writers had to escape a corner because this is a franchise now and Hibiki's power would be difficult to escalate in a balanced way.

Chris turning traitor to get the key back felt incredibly forced and needed to happen sooner to have any real weight.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users