Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  fourteenwings : (22 November 2019 - 07:32 AM)

"any employer-initiated termination can be countered with a wrongful termination lawsuit within three weeks" By golly gee I do wonder why employers are so keen to make sure they don't get sued.

@  Nevermore : (22 November 2019 - 07:01 AM)

It's basically the same as someone tricking you into signing a contract you have no need for. Smart employees with balls just respond to such an offer with "You want to terminate me? For what reason exactly?"

@  Nevermore : (22 November 2019 - 07:00 AM)

And on average, a wrongful termination lawsuit, though more of a strain for the employee, will often result in better conditions (worst case: a settlement fee; best case: employment reinstated by the court) than whatever nonsense the employer is putting in the termination agreement.

@  Nevermore : (22 November 2019 - 06:58 AM)

That's obviously complete bull. Under German law, any employer-initiated termination can be countered with a wrongful termination lawsuit within three weeks. A termination agreement... is a binding contract.

@  Nevermore : (22 November 2019 - 06:57 AM)

A very nasty tactic by many German employers: Inviting an employee to a talk out of the blue, suggesting that things don't look good and a termination (for whatever reason) is about to happen, but they're being "nice" and offer the employee a termination agreement to end the working relationship on "good terms".

@  Ashley : (22 November 2019 - 02:12 AM)

what manufacturer is that? I'm trying to find a US source

@  Steevy Maximus : (21 November 2019 - 10:22 PM)

https://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/toys/action-figures-and-playsets/other-action-figures-and-playsets/alien-queen/p/185041

@  Steevy Maximus : (21 November 2019 - 10:22 PM)

I've already found the best toy of 2020: a foot tall, fully articulated (20 points) Alien Queen for a fraction of what Neca or anyone else would charge

@  Telly : (21 November 2019 - 09:46 PM)

no minerva toys until i get my devcon :p

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 November 2019 - 08:28 PM)

Paladin keeps saying this every time they reveal another toy of an early character, including the first Earthrise reveals even though that had Micromasters.

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 November 2019 - 03:20 PM)

I'll concede the Titan Masters, but Magnus Prime is an existing mold, Liokaiser is a set of repaints, and Metalhawk is a repaint and prominently featured in IDW.

@  Cyoti : (21 November 2019 - 12:14 PM)

And Ginrai aka "Magnus Prime, Metalhawk, "Liokaiser", etc. The real characters that Warden actually doesn't know about are the late EuroUK characters like the Turbomasters/Predators

@  Sabrblade : (21 November 2019 - 11:06 AM)

Warden and Friends did give us a Lione (Sawback) and a Shuffler

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 November 2019 - 07:26 AM)

Or prominently featured in IDW, or an easy repaint of an existing toy.

@  Paladin : (21 November 2019 - 07:12 AM)

was she in the first 3 seasons of the cartoon? If not then she's on no one's list because they don't think she exists.

@  Cyoti : (20 November 2019 - 11:23 PM)

It's probably stuck on the low priority end of Warden's to-do list.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (20 November 2019 - 10:45 PM)

Because the only full-body Nightbeat was that Bumblebee with a new head one.

@  Bass X0 : (20 November 2019 - 04:14 PM)

Why has there been no new Minerva toys? I’m surprised at Takara. The Titan Master head doesn’t count.

@  Maximus Ambus : (20 November 2019 - 01:05 PM)

On my shelf I have Ginrai donning the Star Convoy armor.

@  Liege : (19 November 2019 - 07:42 AM)

That he is.

@  Benbot : (18 November 2019 - 04:01 PM)

And a good boy

@  Liege : (18 November 2019 - 09:19 AM)

Hound is at least a very good toy.

@  ThunderWear : (18 November 2019 - 09:11 AM)

Hound is the only other one that even comes close to Chromia in my area, and he ships in two separate waves.

@  Liege : (18 November 2019 - 08:58 AM)

This might be how they finally get rid of all the Chromias. I've not seen a shelfwarmer like that in ages.

@  RichardT1977 : (17 November 2019 - 08:26 PM)

It's a good deal if you want a full set of Refraktor (and if they have them at your location)

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 November 2019 - 04:43 PM)

Here we can buy two and get one free, but at least two of them are gonna be the same toy, because lol distribution.

@  Bass X0 : (17 November 2019 - 01:01 PM)

In the U.K., it’s more like you but two, you only get one given how expensive they are.

@  RichardT1977 : (17 November 2019 - 11:38 AM)

Transformers are Buy 2 Get 1 free at Target this week.

@  Bass X0 : (17 November 2019 - 04:29 AM)

2019 has been one long South Park episode.

@  Sjogre : (16 November 2019 - 10:46 PM)

Okay, that actually sounds pretty fun.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 November 2019 - 12:49 PM)

It was set in the forties, featured Nazi's as the villains and had Kiko fight mostly Ice Age animals and a mythical dragon that now ruled the island guarding Kongs treasure.

@  Paladin : (15 November 2019 - 11:37 AM)

and it was ALSO eleven hours long.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 November 2019 - 10:55 AM)

In a alternate reality Peter Jackson made Son of Kong.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 November 2019 - 09:30 AM)

To be fair to boba: everyone else to go into the sarlacc was a sacrifice. Stripped almost naked and tossed, and didn't have body armor, a jetpack and a weapon.

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 November 2019 - 06:54 AM)

Nah, he just has to keep up his plot insurance payments so he can shoot his way out of the Sarlacc again.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (15 November 2019 - 02:59 AM)

Funny, but everyone knows he bounty hunts for Jabba Hutt to finance his 'Vette.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (15 November 2019 - 02:54 AM)

Okay.. Not sure why.. but streaming is harder than jsut playing the game.. even though that's pretty much what I was doing.

@  Xellos : (14 November 2019 - 06:47 PM)

What type of vehicle does Boba Fett use for time travel? A Man-DeLorean.

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2019 - 03:55 PM)

Admittedly, it's been a long time since I've been to a walk-in clinic, as I tend not to get sick (and the one time I do every 4-5 years, I prefer just riding it out at home), but the last time I went I'm pretty sure you could just show up, no appointment. It may be different in Quebec,though

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:36 PM)

One thing to note about health insurance in Germany is that we have a two-class system: mandatory health insurance is basically the economy class, while private health insurance is the business class.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:32 PM)

My local doctor is actually a shared office with several doctors where you will get randomly assigned to one of the doctors available that day.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:30 PM)

Also, employers are required by law to cover part of their employees' health insurance fees, so I only have to pay my part.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:28 PM)

Basic examinations and sick notes (known as "work-inability certificates" in Germany) for the employer are covered by our health insurances by default.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 November 2019 - 12:02 PM)

Around here, we can go to a walk-in clinic whenever, but might have to wait in the queue until there's a doctor available, which can take hours on a busy day. And then hope our insurance will cover anything.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 November 2019 - 07:38 AM)

There actually are a good number of clinics around here: but the walk ins require an appointment (what?) and are only done once a week. IF you can get an appointment, you see a doctor usually within 40 minutes, but good luck getting the appointment.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 03:35 AM)

Depending on the day.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 03:35 AM)

We have family doctors (called "house doctors") with regular office hours where you may need an hour or two of waiting time.

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2019 - 12:50 AM)

Two weeks? That seems a little long; are there not a lot of walk-in clinics around you?

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2019 - 07:01 PM)

Does germany make it quick and easy to see a doctor too? Cause an emergency doctor visit can take two weeks out here, and an emergency ROOM visit can take 18-24 hours.

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:43 PM)

(Good thing is, under German law, if you call in sick during your vacation and see a doctor immediately, you get to keep your vacation days.)

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Anime thread: All Year Every Year

5027 replies to this topic

#4921 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 22914 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 18 June 2019 - 12:53 AM

what kind of death game is this

#4922 fourteenwings

fourteenwings
  • Citizen
  • 1933 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 10:33 AM

The kind with a fhána ED, I guess.

And an OP by the main character of Yu-Gi-Oh ZEXAL, home of the now infamous Tyler sisters (though that's English dub only).

The Ensemble Stars! anime that airs -literally- next cour, has announced that it's changed it's director from [someone who is definitely a person] to the KING of PRISM director. Hishikada Masakazu is great, beyond great even, but from what I saw in the PV it's clear he wasn't hired in time to save the CG sequences.

It turns out the original director is just Hishikada under a pseudonym, so there just was no 'saving' those sequences ever.

The Ensemble Stars! anime has had a lot of problems so far, including basically being cancelled and then re-announced with a new studio on board. It's funny considering how it's basically Happy Elements' signature franchise. Between it being announced and now, the Last Period and Merc Storia anime were announced and both finished airing quite a while ago.

Edited by fourteenwings, 19 June 2019 - 12:08 AM.

All that really matters is we could be friends

✰Japanimation Connoisseur✰

#4923 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 12471 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 06:56 AM

so there's a new dub of Neon Genesis Evangelion hitting Netflix today and Weeb Twitter is unsurprisingly flipping their shit over it.

haven't checked it out yet but apparently there's some uproar because Netflix couldn't or just didn't buy the rights to the ending theme music so songs are just cut out of certain spots.

Stuff for sale; every little bit helps. :) https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/143212-for-sale-3p-mp-potp-super-sentai-stuff TWITTER: Paladin4221

#4924 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5277 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:32 AM

I think I'm going to just skip that anyway. I really didn't like the first run of it.

It's a secret to everybody

Spoiler

#4925 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 3595 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 01:37 PM

I personally think its just overhyped, what I seen of the animation and stuff, it just says lame to me, so I'll likely not bother to watch it

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#4926 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

And this is the way the world ends.

• Citizen
  • 22351 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 21 June 2019 - 03:29 PM

so there's a new dub of Neon Genesis Evangelion hitting Netflix today and Weeb Twitter is unsurprisingly flipping their shit over it.

haven't checked it out yet but apparently there's some uproar because Netflix couldn't or just didn't buy the rights to the ending theme music so songs are just cut out of certain spots.

It's not only that. The retranslation erased Kaworu's homosexuality and changed very iconic pieces of dialogue for no reason.

Also, Netflix not having the money to pay off Universal Music Japan for the rights to Fly Me To The Moon? Hah. Netflix Japan has FMTTM untouched.

There's also the issue of blatantly ignoring the original Dub cast. Netflix along with picking up Eva, also picked up the rights to the original dub.

They could have easily added the original dub as an alt audio for no money whatsoever.

Edited by Internet Jesus, 21 June 2019 - 03:34 PM.

But in the current, digitized world, trivial information is accumulating every second, preserved in all its triteness. Never fading, always accessible. Rumors about petty issues, misinterpretations, slander... All this junk data preserved in an unfiltered state, growing at an alarming rate. It will only slow down social progress, reduce the rate of evolution. You seem to think that our plan is one of censorship. What we propose to do is not to control content, but to create context.

#4927 Xellos

Xellos

Go Home Club

• Citizen
  • 1280 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 07:33 PM

Well, from looking at the comparisons that have been floating around with the translations, it is not that they erased Kaworu's being gay, but they went with a more literal translation.  They problem comes in that one needs to know the cultural context that "like" in those situations is usually in the "I want to go out with you" context, instead of the less subtle "love" that the original used. 

And then it has a few translations that I have seen that are a bit more of a stretch, so yeah.

I do not have Netflix, so I have not seen the new dub yet (I will give it a shot), but my biggest concern is what will happen when Rebuild movie 4 comes out (I think the release date coincides with Half Life 3).  Funimation did a great job in getting most of the VAs back, and I really have enjoyed them more than the TV series (though I think it is best to see the TV first), and I am kinda worried that Netflix will just throw their money around and get the last movie and use the new TV cast, which would make watching the movies feel strange.

Then again, with all the money they have thrown around, they really could have ALSO had the original dub as well as licensing Fly Me To The Moon.  Maybe they will eventually have both in they ever have a BD release.  Which would also coincide with HL3.

"Cry Havoc, and let slip the perspicacious death paw equipped cat girls of war!" - Hououin Kyouma - Steins;Gate

#4928 fourteenwings

fourteenwings
  • Citizen
  • 1933 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 10:21 AM

and I really have enjoyed them more than the TV series

Not to be argumentative but did we see the same version of Eva 3.33?

I am kinda worried that Netflix will just throw their money around and get the last movie and use the new TV cast

Judging from this, Netflix is not throwing their money at anything Eva.

They could have easily added the original dub as an alt audio for no money whatsoever.

Presumably that would have cost more and if they weren't even willing to pay for the ED I doubt they'd be all for paying royalties on that. I'm pretty sure that's why the new dub even exists in the first place.

Edited by fourteenwings, 22 June 2019 - 10:21 AM.

All that really matters is we could be friends

✰Japanimation Connoisseur✰

#4929 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

The Dark Knight is Digivolving!

• Staff
  • 13651 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 04:23 PM

Especially since the original VAs were more than willing to come and redub it themselves. Yet Netflix apparently never even considered that.

The 'Fly Me to the Moon' thing baffles me. I mean, Netflix simply Not ponying up the money for the 'global rights' seems incredibly short sighted. Did the really not expect Eva fans to be more than a little peeved?

fslookup.jpg

#4930 Confuzor

Confuzor

They put em in Smash Bros!!!!

• Supporter
  • 8007 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 04:26 PM

"Nobody watches the end credits we auto-skip anyways. Why bother?"

#4931 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

• Staff
  • 13651 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 06:01 PM

Yeah, i can believe that was their thinking.

Here's a kindof funny video about Eva that as the guy in it literally making an insane, all-encompassing multiverse out of every piece of Eva based fiction, game, novel and merchandising crossover there is.

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=ueUeMFbGq9o

fslookup.jpg

#4932 Nutjob R/T

Nutjob R/T

I love this thread.

• Citizen
  • 25347 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 22 June 2019 - 10:50 PM

The new opening theme is catchy though

Earth is Kill because Santa.

#4933 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28709 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 06:13 AM

I'm 6 episodes into the redub and I don't really have a problem. I certainly never hated the ADV cast but the new voices work for me. Opinions might change once I get to Asuka since a comparison clip I saw suggests the new VA doesn't quite have the smug that Tiffany Grant provided, which feels like a loss given how much self worth Asuka is putting in her standing as an Eva pilot and that she sinks into utter depression when she loses that.

There are some terminology choices I don't like, such as the Third Child is now the Third Children but I've been an anime fan long enough to know licensors can be pretty draconian on preferred terminology and supposedly good dubs of the past decade took liberties. This is why I'm not joining with the 'They erased the gay!' mob. I've followed anime and manga long enough to know a lot of things come down to preference or need in translation. Compare Vertical's hammy dialogue in their release of Gundam The Origin to the more straight translation of the dialogue in Sunrise's official dub and sub of the animated version. The problem is we develop nostalgia for the version we first saw and it shapes our fandom as a result.

The best example for this I've seen is DBZ vs DB Kai. Lots of us grew up with the Saban/Funi dub of Z but it takes a lot of liberties with the original. The problem being when Kai came along and tried to be closer to the Japanese in spirit, people hated it because it wasn't the Z they grew up with here in the West. How dare Freeza not sound like a chain smoking lunchlady!

#4934 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 22914 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 06:48 AM

I think the Children thing might be because the Japanese used the plural form even when referring to one of them, for whatever reason.

#4935 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

• Staff
  • 13651 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 08:50 AM

I'm willing to bet the redub will likely not contain Shinji/Spikes original impromptu WTF comedy end credits rant. So i shall post it here.

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=4hzjuf686oA

fslookup.jpg

#4936 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 3595 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 04:39 PM

Just finished After Lost, the final ep was, kind of meh, the build up was intersting with the mystery but the end its self was kind of a so what, it not really happy or sad kind of ending, the core story boiled down to the fact that one of the two main characters is a child of two universes and they hold the power to acknowledge the existance of universes. The series villian, their motives are rather confusing, aside from something to do with another universe and wanting to create another lost!

#4937 Xellos

Xellos

Go Home Club

• Citizen
  • 1280 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 05:55 PM

I think the Children thing might be because the Japanese used the plural form even when referring to one of them, for whatever reason.

Well, I wonder how hands on Gainax was with the redub and new translation, as it seems they were the reason why it took so long after the "original" dub of 3.33 for it to be released on BD.  It seems to be like how hands on Sunrise is with Gundam being brought over here.

It is also sometimes interesting to hear that "changes" that people complain about, like the "omni-directional maneuvering gear" in Attack on Titan instead of the then fan used "3D maneuvering gear", or the "name changes" in Wiseman's Grandchild from the fan translations, were actually dictated by the licensor.  Yeah, sometimes the fan terms may be more literal, but whoever is legally bringing them out has to abide by what the Japanese company they have contracted with says. 

It is also why we almost never hear the exact reasons for long delays, like 3.33, or if they are ever even bringing something (that has supposedly already been dubbed) like Hybrid X Heart out.

and I really have enjoyed them more than the TV series

Not to be argumentative but did we see the same version of Eva 3.33?

Aye, we did, and while End of Eva was a much better end to the original than the last two WTF episodes, I have enjoyed the Rebuild more than the original.  But again, I had watched the original and had the context of it while watching the movies.

"Cry Havoc, and let slip the perspicacious death paw equipped cat girls of war!" - Hououin Kyouma - Steins;Gate

#4938 AgentOrange

AgentOrange
  • Citizen
  • 1231 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 23 June 2019 - 07:06 PM

Studio Khara dictated the script changes. Tiffany Grant has been posting a lot about the bullshit on Facebook and while obviously not an impartial source, it's a real bad look for Carrie Keranen
LOOKDOWN.png

#4939 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 3595 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 05:51 PM

Welll just watched the conclusion to season 3 part 2 of Attack on Titan, its pretty good, thou personally I think the whole battle for Eren's home town went by to swiftly, thou I am rewatching season 3, while this season resolves a lot of myserties, it still leaves a intersting mystery regarding the titan shifters power.

#4940 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5277 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 11 July 2019 - 08:08 AM

Well that was weird. I think I dreamnt an entire page of this thread that doesn't exist.

The topic somehow got on the subject of how anime titles can mislead or lie to you.

Think the posts were mostly just having fun. Like pointing out how Edward Elric isn't actually made of full metal.

The final post of the thread is what I remember most. I can't for the life of me recall who it was that said it, but it was and I quote:

"We were kinda promised Neverland. It's right there in the name"

Sorry, it was just too weird and I had to talk about it for a sec.

In anime news, I watched the first episode of Isekai Cheat Magician, which I found interesting enough to want to see the next episode.

I'm also on episode 5 of Wiseman's Grandchild, which I'm enjoying enough to continue, but it kinda feels like it didn't need to be an isekai anime.

It's a secret to everybody

Spoiler

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users