Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Vexwing : (22 February 2020 - 03:26 AM)

I watched L.I.L.Y.Cat on there a while back, it was surprisingly good.

@  Steevy Maximus : (21 February 2020 - 08:47 PM)

@Dekafox, no DTP, but they DO have LILY Cat ;)

@  CORVUS : (21 February 2020 - 08:46 PM)

For me, it's "chocolate therapy".

@  wonko the sane? : (21 February 2020 - 08:32 PM)

Tonight dough owns my soul.

@  CORVUS : (21 February 2020 - 07:28 PM)

Stupid, delicious Ben & Jerry's.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (21 February 2020 - 06:42 PM)

Ahh. I remember watching Bubblegum Crisis 2020 or whatever.

@  Dekafox : (21 February 2020 - 06:25 PM)

Next you'll say they have Dominion Tank Police and L.I.L.Y.Cat

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 February 2020 - 06:06 PM)

Bubblegum Crisis, going by several shouts down.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (21 February 2020 - 05:38 PM)

BGC?

@  Bass X0 : (21 February 2020 - 02:33 PM)

Enjoy the fudgy icing of this Hostess Cup Cake!

@  Telly : (21 February 2020 - 02:31 PM)

harlock is on tubi as well. not dubbed though :(

@  Rhinox42 : (21 February 2020 - 01:19 PM)

Blugh, the english dub of BGC is atrocious.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 February 2020 - 07:02 AM)

I might need to update my software, or they face regional limitations, cause I found no evidence of either.

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 February 2020 - 10:31 PM)

DUDE! Starcom and COPS are on Tubi too!

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 February 2020 - 09:29 PM)

Spiffy! The english dub of Bubblegum Crisis on Tubi. It's gotten so hard to find these oldies on modern streaming services.

@  Nevermore : (20 February 2020 - 08:44 PM)

And now I know and now I know and now I know that you can hear me, know that you can hear me, know that you can hear me.

@  Nevermore : (20 February 2020 - 08:31 PM)

Oh, oh, people can you hear me? People can you hear me? People can you hear me?

@  Echowarrior : (20 February 2020 - 06:39 PM)

Let me go-o-o-o!

@  Telly : (20 February 2020 - 05:41 PM)

Galileo Galileo!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (20 February 2020 - 05:36 PM)

Very very fright-ning me!

@  Sabrblade : (20 February 2020 - 04:02 PM)

*thunder and lightning*

@  ▲ndrusi : (20 February 2020 - 03:46 PM)

Ah, ah, ah!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (20 February 2020 - 03:33 PM)

Already did. It didn't take long.

@  Dekafox : (19 February 2020 - 06:14 PM)

Count Zero?

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 February 2020 - 03:53 PM)

Oh boy, here we go.

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:34 PM)

Or do Japan's cultural values vary depending on exactly who you're trying to shut down?

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:33 PM)

Could it be that, perhaps, these different cultural values might lead to a different approach seeming appropriate?

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:32 PM)

Hm. Back when we were arguing about the Legends comic, I seem to recall being repeatedly told that Japan had different cultural values than the US (and therefore anyone who had a problem with anything at all was wrong to voice that opinion ever).

@  fourteenwings : (19 February 2020 - 07:23 AM)

Plus, as much as I hate to admit it, every single anime character is built to suit the audience's tastes so they buy more merch/do other things that allow $$$ to flow in the production committees direction, so the authenticity is certainly not for representation's sake.

@  fourteenwings : (19 February 2020 - 07:18 AM)

Both those anime air at midnight and are aimed at a very specific audience in a whole other media landscape. Major projects have press releases about almost everything, and there are groups just waiting to pat anybody on the back for doing what they want (GLAAD, HRC, etc)

@  B-Fox : (19 February 2020 - 03:16 AM)

It's funny that a friggin' anime about zombie idols and an anime about a school of anthropomorphic animals can have really positive trans characters WITHOUT a press release about their inclusion in the series prior to the episodes airing or having the creators announcing it on social media and patting themselves on the back for doing a thing.

@  TriBlurr : (18 February 2020 - 10:26 PM)

Vegan meat needs bacon

@  Paladin : (18 February 2020 - 08:43 PM)

vegan meat must taste delicious. they're grass-fed and regularly exercised....

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 06:57 PM)

Vegans are better than kids if you don't talk to them. They'll keep the lawn trimmed anyway.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 February 2020 - 06:02 PM)

Do you want vegans? Because that's how you get vegans.

@  CORVUS : (18 February 2020 - 04:33 PM)

Hook up your sprinkler system to a canister of healthy organic carrot-juice. The kids won't be able to get off your lawn fast enough.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 February 2020 - 03:59 PM)

Just use the hose.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 03:52 PM)

Ask bing. It'll be a FAR more effective answer.

@  TrnsfrmGod : (18 February 2020 - 03:26 PM)

Google, how do I get those durned kids off my lawn?

@  TrnsfrmGod : (18 February 2020 - 03:26 PM)

Please ignore.  Old man here apparently doesn't know the difference between the "Search" field and the "Shoutbox" field.

Also doesn't know how to delete from the shoutbox

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 07:33 AM)

Huhn. Penny arcade was right, the division 2 is literally 3 dollars...

@  Steevy Maximus : (17 February 2020 - 11:05 PM)

Oh, Wicked Cool Toys got the Halo toy license. This is a big year for Jazwares

@  Steevy Maximus : (17 February 2020 - 07:02 PM)

iTunes/Apple TV has the complete Cowboy Bebop series for just $5!

@  fourteenwings : (17 February 2020 - 12:41 AM)

The Samsung Galaxy B-TOOM!

@  Paladin : (16 February 2020 - 07:20 PM)

business is booming.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 February 2020 - 06:49 PM)

SAmsung has you covered. Exploding phones.

@  Patch : (16 February 2020 - 05:21 PM)

Modern problems require modern solutions.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (16 February 2020 - 05:21 PM)

Japan seems to have a tradition of murder things where cellphones facilitate the killing instead. Like King's Game and Doubt.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 February 2020 - 05:17 PM)

Or there's just conveniently no reception, or all of their phones are dead at the same time. Or they're just stupid and forget about them.

@  Patch : (16 February 2020 - 04:41 PM)

Now the slasher villain has to go and knock over the nearest cell tower before butchering horny teenagers.

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Anime thread: All Year Every Year

5057 replies to this topic

#4881 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11476 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:20 AM

I kinda want a series built around Gobta's misadventures and achievements in ignorance.

#4882 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 3747 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 28 April 2019 - 02:50 PM

Attack on Titan is back for season 3 part 2, here is the openning which is a strange mix of previous opennings:

Watching the first ep of the second half of season with the end just made me fall in love with the series all over again, it just has a sense of epicness that not many series can match, I think its because the human race as a whole is shown more of a underdog and their primary motivation is to simply live to see another day and reclaim what they believe to have rights to while the enemy remains faceless.

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#4883 fourteenwings

fourteenwings
  • Citizen
  • 2061 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 11:40 PM

After almost one and a half years, Maerchen Maedchen's 12-episode run is finally over.

All that really matters is we could be friends

✰Japanimation Connoisseur✰

#4884 Xellos

Xellos

Go Home Club

• Citizen
  • 1311 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 11:42 AM

Shield Bro has finally been uploaded to FunimationNow, so I got through the first 4 episodes last night.  Been reading the manga since it started coming out, and always liked it, but really like how it has come out in animation.

Spoiler

Also watched the last episode of Starblazers (Space Battleship Yamato 2202) last Saturday, and, while most of the series was fantastic, I really can't agree with the ending.

Spoiler

They have already announced another season, but that is gonna be quite the way down the road.

"Cry Havoc, and let slip the perspicacious death paw equipped cat girls of war!" - Hououin Kyouma - Steins;Gate

#4885 Egon1982

Egon1982
  • Citizen
  • 344 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 30 April 2019 - 02:48 PM

Whatever happened to that Vampire Hunter D series?

#4886 fourteenwings

fourteenwings
  • Citizen
  • 2061 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 11:36 PM

Well, this is a lot to take in.

#4887 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 23299 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 01:28 PM

It feels like at this point everything that's perceived to have value gets brought back in an effort to make it into a long-term IP..

#4888 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 3747 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 01:35 PM

ICYMI an announcement from Sakura-Con: Code Geass producer Kojiro Taniguchi announced there is a 10-YEAR PLAN for new Code Geass content, and the Lelouch of the Re;surrection movie (that opens on Sunday!) is only phase 1.

What do you hope to see in the future for Code Geass? pic.twitter.com/Es0RrnNHdO

— Funimation (@FUNimation) May 3, 2019

<script async src="https://platform.twi...com/widgets.js"charset="utf-8"></script>

Well, this is a lot to take in.

That kind of makes me worry a bit because it feels like they just want to turn Code Geass into a cash cow. What I would like, is an actual follow up series to R2 not a movie that connected to the edited movies of the TV show with the altered story.

Anyway, I just watched the latest ep of Dororo 2019, it was kind of a heart warming ep, focused upon Hyakimaru and his adopted "mama" (father) plus a few other scenes of Hyakimaru's younger brother. While this series is not a grand scale as other shows, its partly a story of revenge but also what it means to be human.

#4889 fourteenwings

fourteenwings
  • Citizen
  • 2061 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 11:46 PM

they just want to turn Code Geass into a cash cow

Yeah um, that's literally what they want.

The movies and OVAs have a great frontloaded revenue stream with their captive theater audience paying out the nose right away.

I think there will be a new TV series at some point, though. Ten years is a long time to try and sustain your franchise via movies alone ie Nanoha.

It feels like at this point everything that's perceived to have value gets brought back in an effort to make it into a long-term IP..

As I said elsewhere, the only way to avoid this now it seems is to be a fan of obscure things nobody cares for (and there are quite a lot of those) but it's kind of sad to acknowledge that pop culture is becoming this place that refuses the very concept of endings.

#4890 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 23299 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 03:48 PM

That kind of makes me worry a bit because it feels like they just want to turn Code Geass into a cash cow.

Code Geass has always been a cash cow. The original show shilled Pizza Hut in its actual footage. And that's before the endless spinoffs and merchandising. The only real change in commercial exploitation here is that somebody admits they have a super long term plan now.

#4891 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 9317 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 04:03 PM

It's a Sunrise Mecha series with character designs squarely aimed at Pretty Boys and Girls. This was practically Mooing away before it even launched. If anything it's amazing nothing came any sooner.

Switch code: SW-6538-7795-1972

#4892 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 3747 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 05:09 PM

That kind of makes me worry a bit because it feels like they just want to turn Code Geass into a cash cow.

Code Geass has always been a cash cow. The original show shilled Pizza Hut in its actual footage. And that's before the endless spinoffs and merchandising. The only real change in commercial exploitation here is that somebody admits they have a super long term plan now.

The best laid plans of men and mice (H2G2).

#4893 Daith

Daith

• Supporter
  • 9317 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 03:08 AM

So saw the pretty boy mecha movie tonight. Had to laugh at another nearby viewer groaning every time Shirley was mentioned or appeared alive. Cant say I blame him, as she didnt really have anything to do in this movie other than be a glaring point of this being a continuation of the films rather than the series. Overall it wasnt bad though. Liked it better than Akhito the side story that goes nowhere.

Spoiler

#4894 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28911 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 04:09 AM

Code Geass: Kallen of the Boobies.

#4895 Xellos

Xellos

Go Home Club

• Citizen
  • 1311 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 10:01 AM

Spoiler

And as a explanation/spoiler of something that happened at the end that the producer had explained to Johnny Yong Bosch when they had the LA premier with some of the Japanese production team earlier in the week:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Still, at first I wondered why Funi only mentioned the 10-year plan just a few days ago, when they mentioned it to us when they premiered it...  Then I realized that this weekend was the official "wide" theatrical release, so it makes more sense to get the publicity at this point.

"Cry Havoc, and let slip the perspicacious death paw equipped cat girls of war!" - Hououin Kyouma - Steins;Gate

#4896 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 23299 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 10:26 AM

It's a Sunrise Mecha series with character designs squarely aimed at Pretty Boys and Girls. This was practically Mooing away before it even launched. If anything it's amazing nothing came any sooner.

Bandai Namco went through some restructuring last year and Sunrise was officially named their IP creation unit, which probably at least encourages them to make this kind of announcement.

Edited by NotVeryKnightly, 08 May 2019 - 10:26 AM.

#4897 fourteenwings

fourteenwings
  • Citizen
  • 2061 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 11:26 AM

They have been trying for quite a while now, with;

• Buddy Complex came out with a mobile game tie-in. It was clearly meant for two seasons that were then truncated into a two-episode OVA finale that definitely had 13 episodes worth of content crammed in.
  • Kakumei Valvrave, which was basically an edgier (yes, edgier!) Geass. This show had all the promo push behind it, right up to getting a music lineup that was entirely non-Lantis (ie no in house revenue buffering) artists but was known for mecha songs.
  • Suisei no Gargantia, which had a similar situation to Buddy Complex where they planned for two seasons, only one was made, and then they sat on the second half for so long it just became a novel.

There's a lot of complex ongoing stuff with Tiger & Bunny, not least of all trying to make Doug & Kirill a thing before just relenting and getting the Tiger & Bunny team back for a new sequel project next year.

Love Live! appears to be on break right now, probably pending some insight into the viability of the late-night idol anime genre. We're seeing quite a bit less of it outside the realm of Otome, as more and more 2D idol ota move to mobage. But I'm pretty sure at the very least they'll give the Normal Girls project a punt at some point.

Compared to other studios who only really have 1-3 original long term IPs at any given time or mostly do adaptations, Sunrise has a lot of original IP in play. I mean, Satelight has Macross, Aquarion and Symphogear. Meanwhile, bones used to love it's original IPs until both Captain Earth and Concrete Revolutio failed to make an impact, so now they just do one-and-done originals for Netflix whilst halfheartedly putting out an alternate retelling of Eureka Seven in theatres, again.

#4898 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 3747 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 01:30 PM

Been watching Angel Beats, its an OK series thou the ending is kind of sad other than that its nothing seriously great.

#4899 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5367 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 11 May 2019 - 05:50 AM

Roommates and I watched the first episode of the new Fruit Basket.

People will hate me, but it loses points with me for not including this:

https://youtu.be/7c-JuHE1jMU

Otherwise not bad.

Edited by videomaster21XX, 11 May 2019 - 05:50 AM.

It's a secret to everybody

Spoiler

#4900 Daith

Daith

• Supporter
  • 9317 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 12:57 PM

Ya you arent the first to mention that subtraction from the original anime. But in the long run I think its for the best.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users