Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 August 2019 - 11:30 AM)

Skywarp can barely form a coherent sentence half the time.

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 August 2019 - 11:24 AM)

If Cyclonus combines into Galvatronus, does Skywarp form Megatronic?

@  Pennpenn : (18 August 2019 - 09:12 AM)

There's something weird about starting to type Good Omens into a media store's search bar and having it come up with Queen's greatest hits compliations.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (18 August 2019 - 12:07 AM)

Well then they need to re-release Vector Prime. :D Of course I would accept Vector Prime Headmaster with Alpha Trion as the head.

@  unluckiness : (18 August 2019 - 12:05 AM)

That said, the bendy sword is ridiculous.

@  unluckiness : (18 August 2019 - 12:05 AM)

I dunno, the old one is still pretty good by modern standards and the clunkiness is somewhat in-character.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (17 August 2019 - 08:37 PM)

We need a new vector prime

@  Paladin : (17 August 2019 - 03:59 PM)

just don't leave Cybertron Vector Prime out in the sun or his wings will melt.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 August 2019 - 03:17 PM)

@Nevermore Duly noted.

@  Rycochet : (17 August 2019 - 02:12 PM)

I have three Cybertron Vector Primes, wouldn't throw them around though. I love that design too much,

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 August 2019 - 02:03 PM)

I'm just picturing someone throwing a pile of Vector Prime toys around. I don't know why.

@  Rycochet : (17 August 2019 - 01:42 PM)

Multi Vector Assault mode is what they go into when they think anyone's even slightly infringing on their IP.

@  Ashley : (17 August 2019 - 02:30 AM)

They MIGHT have done it for Star Trek Online ships, but even if they have that'd be a fairly specific category.

@  Tieria Prime : (17 August 2019 - 02:11 AM)

Hi friends

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:05 AM)

So only if Viacom/Paramount has actively trademarked the term "multi-vector assault mode", offered goods or services under that name and has been offering those goods and services in recent years, Hasbro cannot offer goods or services under that name in the same category.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:04 AM)

And they need to be consistently used on top of that.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:03 AM)

Even if they are trademarked.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:02 AM)

Words and terms used in dialogue shouldn't be affected.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:02 AM)

Also, the trademarks only apply in commerce. You use them to identify goods and services.

@  Ashley : (16 August 2019 - 11:55 PM)

Yeah, you also need to apply for it. They might've never bothered to trademark that.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (16 August 2019 - 08:37 PM)

Trademark affects titles and product names, not every word in writing. For example, DC called their character "Captain Marvel" as recently as 2014.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 August 2019 - 08:30 PM)

You missed my point. I was addressing the usage of the phrase in dialogue. Hence the quotation marks.

@  Pennpenn : (16 August 2019 - 08:00 PM)

Well, they can anyway, they might just not be able to call it that...

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 August 2019 - 06:54 PM)

It would be awesome for Transformers to have the likes of Overlord and Sky Lynx "engage multi-vector assault mode!"

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 August 2019 - 06:53 PM)

It is a shame that "multi-vector assault mode" is probably trademarked for Star Trek.

@  unluckiness : (15 August 2019 - 10:54 PM)

Only if they manage to boomer-proof it

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 08:16 PM)

(and would that really be a bad thing?)

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 08:16 PM)

Wouldn't a cybernetic singularity actually remove one or more of the top levels of Maslow's hierarchy?

@  Steevy Maximus : (15 August 2019 - 07:40 PM)

Tomy made some strange selections on their first wave of Tomica releases for the US

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 August 2019 - 06:26 PM)

Resistance is futile.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 August 2019 - 06:20 PM)

I would be down for a nice cybernetic singularity if it meant we could actually reach the top of maslow's hierarchy.

@  Ashley : (15 August 2019 - 05:44 PM)

I'm pretty sure the origin of the villains in GaoGaiGar was a computer being told to reduce the stress of the population and it's answer was to assimilate everyone.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 August 2019 - 01:53 PM)

Executions then followed by nano reanimation then cryonic suspension until everyone you know is deactivated for good so you can build happiness in a future society.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 August 2019 - 01:47 PM)

As opposed to the ones that lie already? As a civilization: we're emotional and socially broken. Might as well have the society that at least wants us to be "happy".

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 11:48 AM)

Or you'd have a lot of people lying about their emotional state to avoid being executed.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 August 2019 - 11:18 AM)

That would actually be a massive step up: since there's a LOT of stuff needed to quantify happiness, and it could only be an improvement over the existing governments which actually don't care if you live or die, never mind if you're "happy".

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 10:02 AM)

Happiness is mandatory, citizen. Failure to be happy is treason. Have a nice daycycle!

@  unluckiness : (15 August 2019 - 01:46 AM)

Maslow's hierarchy of needs

@  MrBlud : (14 August 2019 - 09:46 PM)

Humanity is pretty forgiving if you take care of its basic needs. "Freedom" and "Privacy" don't have much hold when you can't afford food, shelter, or medicine.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 August 2019 - 03:29 PM)

Something something peace through tyranny.

@  Maximus Ambus : (14 August 2019 - 02:43 PM)

You probably will have a house, AI overseers will crack down on stress, poverty, homelessness and human administration.

@  Rycochet : (14 August 2019 - 02:36 PM)

The bad news is they'll probab;y be made and operated by Amazon so will record every single thing you do and transmit it to their datacenters so theycan have human operators sift through it and laugh at footage of you dancing in your socks or having intercourse.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (14 August 2019 - 02:32 PM)

What if I don't have a house by then?

@  wonko the sane? : (14 August 2019 - 02:32 PM)

If the robot will do the cleaning, I don't care if it's mandatory. I'm sick of moping floors.

@  Maximus Ambus : (14 August 2019 - 02:05 PM)

humanoid service robots, one for every house in the west. ETA: 2050. household robots will be mandatory.

@  Rycochet : (14 August 2019 - 02:03 PM)

All I know is it'd be tragic if those evil robots win. I know she can beat them.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 August 2019 - 01:53 PM)

Big ones? Small ones? Ones as big as your head?

@  Rycochet : (14 August 2019 - 12:22 PM)

The robots are pink. Someone call Yoshimi!

@  wonko the sane? : (14 August 2019 - 11:11 AM)

Yeah, could you maybe be more specific? Are they good robots? Bad ones? Do they just want to take our jobs? We need more information to work out how we feel about them.

@  Benbot : (14 August 2019 - 11:03 AM)

which ones?

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Anime thread: All Year Every Year

4978 replies to this topic

#4881 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11208 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:20 AM

I kinda want a series built around Gobta's misadventures and achievements in ignorance.

#4882 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 3288 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 28 April 2019 - 02:50 PM

Attack on Titan is back for season 3 part 2, here is the openning which is a strange mix of previous opennings:

Watching the first ep of the second half of season with the end just made me fall in love with the series all over again, it just has a sense of epicness that not many series can match, I think its because the human race as a whole is shown more of a underdog and their primary motivation is to simply live to see another day and reclaim what they believe to have rights to while the enemy remains faceless.

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#4883 fourteenwings

fourteenwings
  • Citizen
  • 1717 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 11:40 PM

After almost one and a half years, Maerchen Maedchen's 12-episode run is finally over.

All that really matters is we could be friends

✰Elon Musk's 'Biggest Fan'✰

#4884 Xellos

Xellos

Go Home Club

• Citizen
  • 1223 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 11:42 AM

Shield Bro has finally been uploaded to FunimationNow, so I got through the first 4 episodes last night.  Been reading the manga since it started coming out, and always liked it, but really like how it has come out in animation.

Spoiler

Also watched the last episode of Starblazers (Space Battleship Yamato 2202) last Saturday, and, while most of the series was fantastic, I really can't agree with the ending.

Spoiler

They have already announced another season, but that is gonna be quite the way down the road.

"Cry Havoc, and let slip the perspicacious death paw equipped cat girls of war!" - Hououin Kyouma - Steins;Gate

#4885 Egon1982

Egon1982
  • Citizen
  • 298 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 30 April 2019 - 02:48 PM

Whatever happened to that Vampire Hunter D series?

#4886 fourteenwings

fourteenwings
  • Citizen
  • 1717 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 11:36 PM

Well, this is a lot to take in.

#4887 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 22391 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 01:28 PM

It feels like at this point everything that's perceived to have value gets brought back in an effort to make it into a long-term IP..

#4888 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 3288 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 01:35 PM

ICYMI an announcement from Sakura-Con: Code Geass producer Kojiro Taniguchi announced there is a 10-YEAR PLAN for new Code Geass content, and the Lelouch of the Re;surrection movie (that opens on Sunday!) is only phase 1.

What do you hope to see in the future for Code Geass? pic.twitter.com/Es0RrnNHdO

— Funimation (@FUNimation) May 3, 2019

<script async src="https://platform.twi...com/widgets.js"charset="utf-8"></script>

Well, this is a lot to take in.

That kind of makes me worry a bit because it feels like they just want to turn Code Geass into a cash cow. What I would like, is an actual follow up series to R2 not a movie that connected to the edited movies of the TV show with the altered story.

Anyway, I just watched the latest ep of Dororo 2019, it was kind of a heart warming ep, focused upon Hyakimaru and his adopted "mama" (father) plus a few other scenes of Hyakimaru's younger brother. While this series is not a grand scale as other shows, its partly a story of revenge but also what it means to be human.

#4889 fourteenwings

fourteenwings
  • Citizen
  • 1717 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 11:46 PM

they just want to turn Code Geass into a cash cow

Yeah um, that's literally what they want.

The movies and OVAs have a great frontloaded revenue stream with their captive theater audience paying out the nose right away.

I think there will be a new TV series at some point, though. Ten years is a long time to try and sustain your franchise via movies alone ie Nanoha.

It feels like at this point everything that's perceived to have value gets brought back in an effort to make it into a long-term IP..

As I said elsewhere, the only way to avoid this now it seems is to be a fan of obscure things nobody cares for (and there are quite a lot of those) but it's kind of sad to acknowledge that pop culture is becoming this place that refuses the very concept of endings.

#4890 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 22391 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 03:48 PM

That kind of makes me worry a bit because it feels like they just want to turn Code Geass into a cash cow.

Code Geass has always been a cash cow. The original show shilled Pizza Hut in its actual footage. And that's before the endless spinoffs and merchandising. The only real change in commercial exploitation here is that somebody admits they have a super long term plan now.

#4891 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 9029 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 04:03 PM

It's a Sunrise Mecha series with character designs squarely aimed at Pretty Boys and Girls. This was practically Mooing away before it even launched. If anything it's amazing nothing came any sooner.

#4892 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 3288 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 05:09 PM

That kind of makes me worry a bit because it feels like they just want to turn Code Geass into a cash cow.

Code Geass has always been a cash cow. The original show shilled Pizza Hut in its actual footage. And that's before the endless spinoffs and merchandising. The only real change in commercial exploitation here is that somebody admits they have a super long term plan now.

The best laid plans of men and mice (H2G2).

#4893 Daith

Daith

• Supporter
  • 9029 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 03:08 AM

So saw the pretty boy mecha movie tonight. Had to laugh at another nearby viewer groaning every time Shirley was mentioned or appeared alive. Cant say I blame him, as she didnt really have anything to do in this movie other than be a glaring point of this being a continuation of the films rather than the series. Overall it wasnt bad though. Liked it better than Akhito the side story that goes nowhere.

Spoiler

#4894 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28450 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 04:09 AM

Code Geass: Kallen of the Boobies.

#4895 Xellos

Xellos

Go Home Club

• Citizen
  • 1223 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 10:01 AM

Spoiler

And as a explanation/spoiler of something that happened at the end that the producer had explained to Johnny Yong Bosch when they had the LA premier with some of the Japanese production team earlier in the week:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Still, at first I wondered why Funi only mentioned the 10-year plan just a few days ago, when they mentioned it to us when they premiered it...  Then I realized that this weekend was the official "wide" theatrical release, so it makes more sense to get the publicity at this point.

"Cry Havoc, and let slip the perspicacious death paw equipped cat girls of war!" - Hououin Kyouma - Steins;Gate

#4896 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 22391 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 10:26 AM

It's a Sunrise Mecha series with character designs squarely aimed at Pretty Boys and Girls. This was practically Mooing away before it even launched. If anything it's amazing nothing came any sooner.

Bandai Namco went through some restructuring last year and Sunrise was officially named their IP creation unit, which probably at least encourages them to make this kind of announcement.

Edited by NotVeryKnightly, 08 May 2019 - 10:26 AM.

#4897 fourteenwings

fourteenwings
  • Citizen
  • 1717 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 11:26 AM

They have been trying for quite a while now, with;

• Buddy Complex came out with a mobile game tie-in. It was clearly meant for two seasons that were then truncated into a two-episode OVA finale that definitely had 13 episodes worth of content crammed in.
  • Kakumei Valvrave, which was basically an edgier (yes, edgier!) Geass. This show had all the promo push behind it, right up to getting a music lineup that was entirely non-Lantis (ie no in house revenue buffering) artists but was known for mecha songs.
  • Suisei no Gargantia, which had a similar situation to Buddy Complex where they planned for two seasons, only one was made, and then they sat on the second half for so long it just became a novel.

There's a lot of complex ongoing stuff with Tiger & Bunny, not least of all trying to make Doug & Kirill a thing before just relenting and getting the Tiger & Bunny team back for a new sequel project next year.

Love Live! appears to be on break right now, probably pending some insight into the viability of the late-night idol anime genre. We're seeing quite a bit less of it outside the realm of Otome, as more and more 2D idol ota move to mobage. But I'm pretty sure at the very least they'll give the Normal Girls project a punt at some point.

Compared to other studios who only really have 1-3 original long term IPs at any given time or mostly do adaptations, Sunrise has a lot of original IP in play. I mean, Satelight has Macross, Aquarion and Symphogear. Meanwhile, bones used to love it's original IPs until both Captain Earth and Concrete Revolutio failed to make an impact, so now they just do one-and-done originals for Netflix whilst halfheartedly putting out an alternate retelling of Eureka Seven in theatres, again.

#4898 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 3288 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 01:30 PM

Been watching Angel Beats, its an OK series thou the ending is kind of sad other than that its nothing seriously great.

#4899 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5157 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 11 May 2019 - 05:50 AM

Roommates and I watched the first episode of the new Fruit Basket.

People will hate me, but it loses points with me for not including this:

https://youtu.be/7c-JuHE1jMU

Otherwise not bad.

Edited by videomaster21XX, 11 May 2019 - 05:50 AM.

It's a secret to everybody

Spoiler

#4900 Daith

Daith

• Supporter
  • 9029 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 12:57 PM

Ya you arent the first to mention that subtraction from the original anime. But in the long run I think its for the best.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users