Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (26 May 2019 - 07:12 PM)

Pleasant news.

@  Nevermore : (26 May 2019 - 04:06 PM)

Also, the rising stars are the Greens, especially in Germany.

@  Nevermore : (26 May 2019 - 04:06 PM)

Also, a surprising number of voters showed up to the polls, all across the EU. Which is a good sign.

@  Nevermore : (26 May 2019 - 04:05 PM)

Soooo. Another election day is over. Less stressful than the last one, at least.

@  Nevermore : (25 May 2019 - 05:09 PM)

Oooookay, Babylon Berlin. That's gotta be Plot Convenient News Urgent Edition or something.

@  wonko the sane? : (25 May 2019 - 12:03 PM)

I had no idea the beeb was renting out the dr.who writting staff to hollywood.

@  TM2-Megatron : (25 May 2019 - 11:50 AM)

A poodle, some clouds, and a giant drop of water

@  TheMightyMol... : (25 May 2019 - 05:53 AM)

Was that the one where he fights gamma mutant poodles?

@  unluckiness : (25 May 2019 - 03:14 AM)

The CG in that movie was fantastic. Shame Donkey and Fiona were written out of the movie though.

@  TM2-Megatron : (25 May 2019 - 01:20 AM)

Don't worry, though. Ang Lee's Hulk has made it, so if physical media goes this year we can all die happy

@  TM2-Megatron : (25 May 2019 - 01:12 AM)

It's not on 4K yet. Sure would be nice, though

@  Pennpenn : (25 May 2019 - 12:56 AM)

Probably, when I remember to.

@  Telly : (24 May 2019 - 11:11 PM)

you should buy it on bluray or 4k

@  Pennpenn : (24 May 2019 - 09:56 PM)

It's still not up on netflix. Bah!

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (24 May 2019 - 03:26 PM)

We named the dog "Indiana".

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (24 May 2019 - 03:25 PM)

Happy 30 years to Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade!

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 May 2019 - 01:35 PM)

Truly they are the compleat package.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (24 May 2019 - 01:24 PM)

Made from the metallized ashes of their previous enemies.

@  MEDdMI : (24 May 2019 - 07:40 AM)

They fight you with sparkles.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 May 2019 - 03:40 AM)

Phyrexians are the bishie-est.

@  unluckiness : (24 May 2019 - 12:29 AM)

That's why they always wear long sleeved shirts and long pants

@  fourteenwings : (23 May 2019 - 11:36 PM)

Everybody knows the most bishie thing about any bishie is his exposed sinew.

@  MEDdMI : (23 May 2019 - 10:04 PM)

*looks up the humanoid slivers* ...really? People were calling those bishies?

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 May 2019 - 12:45 PM)

Have they made a sliver planeswalker yet?

@  RichardT1977 : (23 May 2019 - 10:29 AM)

"DECOMPOSE!"

@  Paladin : (23 May 2019 - 06:29 AM)

will they next evolve into Inhumanoids?

@  Ashley : (23 May 2019 - 02:42 AM)

the original slivers were spikey monsters. then the evolved into humanoids. now they're back to spikey bug monsters.

@  MEDdMI : (22 May 2019 - 10:42 PM)

Wait. Slivers were bishies???

@  unluckiness : (22 May 2019 - 10:40 PM)

They haven't necessarily looped yet. It's possible they're stuck in "yaoi anatomy"

@  Ashley : (22 May 2019 - 10:35 PM)

I think Slivers in MTG have crossed the bishonen line and looped back around to monstrous

@  wonko the sane? : (22 May 2019 - 09:48 PM)

Maxi, provigo, loblaws.

@  RichardT1977 : (22 May 2019 - 09:42 PM)

Which store brand is it?

@  wonko the sane? : (22 May 2019 - 05:52 PM)

I need to buy more "no name" foods. This pizza is freaking awesome.

@  Bass X0 : (20 May 2019 - 11:16 AM)

SEND THE BOOKS!!

@  Cybersnark : (20 May 2019 - 08:52 AM)

So, now that Game of Thrones is over, when can we get back to The Dragon Prince?

@  unluckiness : (20 May 2019 - 12:19 AM)

Like, half of them nowadays are montages of tweet screencaps from the writer's inbox

@  unluckiness : (20 May 2019 - 12:18 AM)

lol you expected integrity from internet news

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 11:33 PM)

I'm mostly confused how news sites went from "Analysing all the amazingness of Game of Thrones" to "Fans sure don't like this season!", like... way to prioritize clicks over a solid editorial opinion

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 11:30 PM)

[and there's a recurring setting of a "derelict industrial site"] is this like the Toei Quarry?

@  MEDdMI : (19 May 2019 - 11:17 PM)

@Foffy and then that giant lasagna just tipped over and killed everyone, to be later known as the infamous Bad Monday event.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 PM)

Ahahaha!!! Go read the reactions for yourself. To say anything more here risks spoiling the finale for subscribing Allsparkers, the quality of this season notwithstanding.

@  Foffy : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 PM)

pretty wild how heathcliff was in the game of thrones finale, i was not expecting that crossover

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 10:48 PM)

were they still super pissed?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 May 2019 - 10:48 PM)

Well, as someone who is not into Game of Thrones, it sure was entertaining to open up social media this evening to unexpectedly see headlines about fan reactions to the finale. Lmao.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:12 PM)

But it's also a SUPER-well known location in my region, so these extensive exterior shots without any post production alterations completely ruin the illusion for me.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:11 PM)

I mean, I get why they did it: It's an existing location that fits the purpose, it's open for the public, and they had to shoot some scenes in my home state anyway to due a subsidizing deal.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:09 PM)

Needless to say, it's not in Berlin, and even what's seen onscreen is waaaaay too modern for something that's supposed to exist in 1929 (even moreso as a derelict site in 1929). The structures seen haven't even been built until the 1960s!

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:07 PM)

I'm currently in the process of watching season 2 of Babylon Berlin, and there's a recurring setting of a "derelict industrial site" or whatever it's supposed to be on the show, and I easily recognize it as a place only a few minutes from where I live (it's actually a former ironworks site that's been turned into a public park).

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:52 PM)

Ever since I went to Japan last year, I have friend who dread watching anime with me due to that...

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:51 PM)

Not hugely, but I am the type to notice places once I have been there and say "Hey, I've been there!"

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Anime thread: All Year Every Year

4911 replies to this topic

#4801 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 3092 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 10 February 2019 - 01:55 PM

Just watched the latest ep of Boruto: Naruto Next Generations, it was a funny ep and a bit sweet as well, seeing Naruto spend time with his daughter instead of being sat in the Hokage office all of the time, obviously a filler ep but it was kind of sweet seeing Naruto's daughter given some spotlight as she rarely gets much time on screen.

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#4802 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:20 PM

It's actually the most recent Utawarumono series, "The False Faces", that Anime Network on Demand has up right now -

https://en.wikipedia...s_(2015–2016)

I watched the first episode early this morning and caught that. 

100% subtitles though; no one dubbed it. It's not the only subbed series they've had (Hidamari Sketch, Den-Oh Coil, and a few others come to mind), but it's possibly the "newest" show they've had up so perhaps there's been no turnaround time for it. 

#4803 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28228 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 04:33 AM

Gridman Anthology arrived.

This really is just an officially licensed doujin tier anthology, to the point that if you remove the jacket you find a two part Unfortunate Akane strip making fun of the cover.

I agree with Japanese fan reviews that for an official release this anthology does nothing to explore unseen hooks in the show. What we instead get is just gags and fanservice like Akane making a kaiju of herself inspired by a kaiju musume figure or Yuta trying on different feminine outfits.

#4804 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 21957 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 05:39 AM

Are there any spinoff anthologies that aren't like that? Only thing I remember from the first PMMM anthology was the teacher asking Kyubey to marry her.

Edited by NotVeryKnightly, 14 February 2019 - 05:41 AM.

#4805 fourteenwings

fourteenwings
  • Citizen
  • 1553 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 08:14 AM

Naruware~ /jokes about comic anthologies about anime from 2012 nobody will remember

I think it's better for really important canon stuff to stay out of stuff like that, or for a spinoff to 180 something that happened in a series so fresh in everybody's minds. I mean, it's a fun mindless thing. No problem with that.

Yuta trying on different feminine outfits.

brb I've got to go order... something completely unrelated to this

Spoiler

Edited by fourteenwings, 14 February 2019 - 08:17 AM.

All that really matters is we could be friends

✰Elon Musk's 'Biggest Fan'✰

#4806 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 02:44 PM

Next up on Anime On Demand: 

"My Love Story!", just in time for Valentine's Day. 

There's also some show called "Love Stage" that I've never heard of before now. 

#4807 Boss Borot

Boss Borot
  • Citizen
  • 4530 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 14 February 2019 - 04:35 PM

My Love Story is so good. I've been itching to rewatch it for a while, but haven't found the time. Maybe I'll squeeze in a few episodes tonight.

#4808 Xellos

Xellos

Go Home Club

• Citizen
  • 1151 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 09:56 PM

It's actually the most recent Utawarumono series, "The False Faces", that Anime Network on Demand has up right now -

https://en.wikipedia...s_(2015–2016)

I watched the first episode early this morning and caught that. 

100% subtitles though; no one dubbed it. It's not the only subbed series they've had (Hidamari Sketch, Den-Oh Coil, and a few others come to mind), but it's possibly the "newest" show they've had up so perhaps there's been no turnaround time for it. 

Actually, Sentai dubbed it, and got most of the actors from the original dub to reprise their roles.  Now I just hope they make an anime for the third game to finish the story.

And yes, My Love Story is quite good.  I just find shoujo manga/anime with male protagonists to be some of the more entertaining ones.

Also, Gun Gale Online popped up on Netflix, so I finally got to watch it.  GGO was my favorite game and segment from SAO, so I have been waiting to watch this spinoff for a while.  Only took two days to watch, and that was because I started the first day pretty late. 

I am glad I never read to much up into it (unlike knowing for a while what happens in Alicization), as I loved...

Spoiler

As for what I am rewatching bit by bit while I do things like eat or feel like farming in F/GO, that is Soul Eater Not (and likely Soul Eater afterwards).

"Cry Havoc, and let slip the perspicacious death paw equipped cat girls of war!" - Hououin Kyouma - Steins;Gate

#4809 fourteenwings

fourteenwings
  • Citizen
  • 1553 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 11:58 PM

LOVE STAGE!! is a BL anime about an otaku boy from a family of models who is reunited with the actor boy he was in a commercial with once whilst crossdressing (while in a dress, again). I didn't watch much of it since it was inevitably Very Bad but the character played by DAIGO was really great.

#4810 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 12:44 AM

recently finished

*Maid-Sama

*Hidamari Sketch (not including DVD-only episodes)

currently watching

*Log Horizon (two episodes a week)

*Hidamari Sketch 365 (two episodes a week)

*Say I Love You (one episode a week)

*Utawarumono: The False Faces (two episodes a week)

will start:

*My Love Story (I'll have to check)

I wish I'd have known about my having Anime On Demand before now. Money's been tight IRL so I've not been able to afford any streaming services; this is going a long way towards me getting caught back up on various shows and titles. 

Not all "On Demand" programming I get through my cable provider is free (some items, like certain movies, are still essentially pay-per-view), which is why I was so slow to poke around. 

#4811 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28228 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 12:46 AM

Naruware~ /jokes about comic anthologies about anime from 2012 nobody will remember

I think it's better for really important canon stuff to stay out of stuff like that, or for a spinoff to 180 something that happened in a series so fresh in everybody's minds. I mean, it's a fun mindless thing. No problem with that.

Yuta trying on different feminine outfits.

brb I've got to go order... something completely unrelated to this

Spoiler
EUNgTGU.jpg
tjspsaa.jpg
Bopa5M9.jpg

Edited by HellCat, 15 February 2019 - 01:02 AM.

#4812 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 12:47 AM

LOVE STAGE!! is a BL anime about an otaku boy from a family of models who is reunited with the actor boy he was in a commercial with once whilst crossdressing (while in a dress, again). I didn't watch much of it since it was inevitably Very Bad but the character played by DAIGO was really great.

So basically, it's not really worth anyone's time then unless they're specifically into BL? 

The cable box in the rear of the house is too old to get the On Demand programming, so I have to wait until everyone else is asleep or out of the house and use the cable box in the living room. That's only about 1 - 2 hours a day, so I've had to pick and choose what I want to catch. 

Edit - I actually had to miss out on "School Live" because I just didn't have time in the day to watch it on top of the other shows I was doing at the time. I just have to hope it comes back around again. 

Edited by Fortress Ironhold, 15 February 2019 - 12:49 AM.

#4813 fourteenwings

fourteenwings
  • Citizen
  • 1553 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 06:51 AM

[crossdressing Yuta]

Thank you~

Re:LOVE STAGE!!, yeah basically all recent BL is like that aside from the Doukyuusei film, which I haven't seen but I've heard good things about it.

I remember trying to ignore my parents' confused looks as I powered through Gundam SEED HD Remaster on the big front room TV. It was really awkward.

Edited by fourteenwings, 15 February 2019 - 06:55 AM.

#4814 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 08:01 PM

Hidarmari Sketch 365.

I understood when Anime Network On Demand skipped the two bonus episodes for Hidamari Sketch, leaving them DVD-only. 

...But they also skipped episode 3 of 365 as well. 

Episode numbering goes 1, 2, 4. 

I think I can get that individual episode off of iTunes, but it's still annoying. 

#4815 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28228 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 12:22 AM

Sums up a lot of my problems with the Crunchyroll Anime Awards. Especially MHA dominating categories it has no right winning.

#4816 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 8932 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 23 February 2019 - 01:51 AM

Whats there to really embrace other than the Awards are a popularity contest pure and simple. Giving the vote to the people will sadly skew the vote to what is hot in the general mindset of anime fans. But there in lies the problem with such awards. How do we determine whos opinion matters to give praise to who deserves it.

Its the common problem with such awards. When I voted I did feel a disservice when voting on certain subjects. Especially the best movie catagory. I voted for MHA Two Heroes, but thats because it was the only film I had access to this year. Its probably one of the harder to judge since actual releases of Anime films outside of Ghibli and popular franchises films are usually not easily available to the public at large through legal means. Im fairly certain at least 3 others were more worthy but how can I vote for something I havent experienced? Similarly how does a person non fluent in Japanese give a fair vote to Japanese VAs

But on the other hand if not voted on by the populace I again pose the question, Who? If you take the vote away from the fans they will just as much anger their audience as much when their panels decide to snub the popular vote in favor of something they like instead. I did see Arkadas reaction to the Best movie reveal and I really dont blame him for his reaction, but other than putting his opinion out in the world through YouTube, who is he to judge everyone elses taste.

And ya the nominations were pretty weird this year. Outside of the continued MHA dominance cutting some of the catagories was pretty dumb and some of the nominations were pretty garbage.

As far as the presentation. I dont give a fig. Im glad to see the nominations give their notice but I rarely actually pay attention to the show itself. I really dont care if its just a bunch of people in a room or an amphitheater packed in with people. Sure if they want to pad it out with some cool performances, I really dont mind but it really doesnt matter to me either way as long as they nominees and winner get their recognition.

Edited by Daith, 23 February 2019 - 02:43 AM.

#4817 fourteenwings

fourteenwings
  • Citizen
  • 1553 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 09:01 AM

I'm surprised the CR awards are still a thing, but in a good way. It means the company's publicity stuff is going well, and that can't be anything but good.

As for the Awards themselves, I'm honestly surprised to hear it was a giant popularity contest, but who cares? It's not like anybody takes what Crunchyroll says seriously, and even less so if anime fans themselves voted. I mean, on some macro level it might influence what CR decides to put their marketing money or production committee money behind, but if it's stuff like MHA instead of Shield Hero I'd have no problem with that either.

What I find ridiculous is how much Netflix anime was on the nominees list. What type of promotional message is "All the best anime is on Netflix, now watch more Crunchyroll!" They ended u having to give "Best Animation" and "Anime of the Year" to shows they don't have. In fact, AOTY is half Netflix.

Can't wait for Dragon Ball Super Broly to win Anime Film of the Year next year~

Edited by fourteenwings, 23 February 2019 - 10:06 AM.

#4818 Xellos

Xellos

Go Home Club

• Citizen
  • 1151 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 09:56 AM

Hmm, never cared too much of the results of awards shows, as, like this, they are often popularity contests.  I think one of the biggest factors are the nominations.  When some series are conspicuously missing (like Goblin Slayer), some I have never heard of (half the movies, though I did some research and saw I had read a few of the manga, it seems), and characters in the wrong categories (Momonga as antagonist?), it is hard to take them super seriously.  (Plus, looking at some of the stuff the judges had written about before)

But dealing with what was nominated, yeah, MHA had quite a few wins, but I don't think anything they won was really wrong (again, with what was nominated).  Fight scene could have been any of them, VA could have been any of them, though I probably would have picked Deku for best boy myself, and the antagonist would have been a toss up between All For One and Tsurumi.  Movie, yeah, though it was pretty fun, and the theater sold out where I saw it.

I guess the villain is one of the toughest for me, as over the past 25+ years I have been watching anime, there are really only about a dozen or two bad guys that I really think are great/memorable/love/hate/cool.  I mean, most anime bad guy/antagonists are perfectly serviceable, like Steppenwolf from Justice League, where the ones I really like and remember would be like Ultron, Red Skull, or even Helmut Zemo from the MCU.  I think I would put Lt. Tsurumi in with my favorites, due to the nature of the series, he can be either really fun, or you want to put a bullet between his eyes.  And All For One has a very western supervillain feeling, so that helps him a bunch.

i

"Cry Havoc, and let slip the perspicacious death paw equipped cat girls of war!" - Hououin Kyouma - Steins;Gate

#4819 fourteenwings

fourteenwings
  • Citizen
  • 1553 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 08:32 AM

Grimms Notes Episode 7 addressed female characters who aren't covered up in snowy areas; Reina, whose outfit doesn't cover her shoulders, feels the chill immediately when the enter the realm of the Snow Queen.

Yet Shane, whose upper legs are exposed, is totally okay. I wonder if this was some sort of visual in-joke since Shane at least has a very big jacket and the whole scene was done waist-up.

It was also a strangely bland take on The Snow Queen which culminated in a blase ending which was weird because before this we had an episode where Snow White

Spoiler

Edited by fourteenwings, 25 February 2019 - 09:07 AM.

#4820 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 21957 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 08:56 AM

Don't you mean episode 7, not 8?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users