Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  RichardT1977 : (23 May 2019 - 10:29 AM)

"DECOMPOSE!"

@  Paladin : (23 May 2019 - 06:29 AM)

will they next evolve into Inhumanoids?

@  Ashley : (23 May 2019 - 02:42 AM)

the original slivers were spikey monsters. then the evolved into humanoids. now they're back to spikey bug monsters.

@  MEDdMI : (22 May 2019 - 10:42 PM)

Wait. Slivers were bishies???

@  unluckiness : (22 May 2019 - 10:40 PM)

They haven't necessarily looped yet. It's possible they're stuck in "yaoi anatomy"

@  Ashley : (22 May 2019 - 10:35 PM)

I think Slivers in MTG have crossed the bishonen line and looped back around to monstrous

@  wonko the sane? : (22 May 2019 - 09:48 PM)

Maxi, provigo, loblaws.

@  RichardT1977 : (22 May 2019 - 09:42 PM)

Which store brand is it?

@  wonko the sane? : (22 May 2019 - 05:52 PM)

I need to buy more "no name" foods. This pizza is freaking awesome.

@  Bass X0 : (20 May 2019 - 11:16 AM)

SEND THE BOOKS!!

@  Cybersnark : (20 May 2019 - 08:52 AM)

So, now that Game of Thrones is over, when can we get back to The Dragon Prince?

@  unluckiness : (20 May 2019 - 12:19 AM)

Like, half of them nowadays are montages of tweet screencaps from the writer's inbox

@  unluckiness : (20 May 2019 - 12:18 AM)

lol you expected integrity from internet news

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 11:33 PM)

I'm mostly confused how news sites went from "Analysing all the amazingness of Game of Thrones" to "Fans sure don't like this season!", like... way to prioritize clicks over a solid editorial opinion

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 11:30 PM)

[and there's a recurring setting of a "derelict industrial site"] is this like the Toei Quarry?

@  MEDdMI : (19 May 2019 - 11:17 PM)

@Foffy and then that giant lasagna just tipped over and killed everyone, to be later known as the infamous Bad Monday event.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 PM)

Ahahaha!!! Go read the reactions for yourself. To say anything more here risks spoiling the finale for subscribing Allsparkers, the quality of this season notwithstanding.

@  Foffy : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 PM)

pretty wild how heathcliff was in the game of thrones finale, i was not expecting that crossover

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 10:48 PM)

were they still super pissed?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 May 2019 - 10:48 PM)

Well, as someone who is not into Game of Thrones, it sure was entertaining to open up social media this evening to unexpectedly see headlines about fan reactions to the finale. Lmao.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:12 PM)

But it's also a SUPER-well known location in my region, so these extensive exterior shots without any post production alterations completely ruin the illusion for me.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:11 PM)

I mean, I get why they did it: It's an existing location that fits the purpose, it's open for the public, and they had to shoot some scenes in my home state anyway to due a subsidizing deal.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:09 PM)

Needless to say, it's not in Berlin, and even what's seen onscreen is waaaaay too modern for something that's supposed to exist in 1929 (even moreso as a derelict site in 1929). The structures seen haven't even been built until the 1960s!

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:07 PM)

I'm currently in the process of watching season 2 of Babylon Berlin, and there's a recurring setting of a "derelict industrial site" or whatever it's supposed to be on the show, and I easily recognize it as a place only a few minutes from where I live (it's actually a former ironworks site that's been turned into a public park).

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:52 PM)

Ever since I went to Japan last year, I have friend who dread watching anime with me due to that...

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:51 PM)

Not hugely, but I am the type to notice places once I have been there and say "Hey, I've been there!"

@  wonko the sane? : (19 May 2019 - 05:50 PM)

Half of new york city (on tape.) is actually montreal.

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 05:50 PM)

I watched Death Wish 5 last night and clearly recognized Toronto streets; didn't pull me out of Bronson's 1-man war on drugs or fashion or whatever it was that pissed him off that time

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 05:49 PM)

it's nice to finally be thought of as exotic by somebody! lol

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 05:48 PM)

In an "I cannot possibly make my brain ignore the location I'm familiar with and pretend it's whatever the story claims it is" way?

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 05:42 PM)

Question for those of you living in exotic locations such as the US or the UK: If you watch a movie or a TV show that features a real-life location as a stand-in for someplace else, and you recognize the real-life location due to having been there in person, does that pull you out of the story?

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:15 PM)

Maybe you should have installed macOS in your house instead.

@  Noideaforaname : (19 May 2019 - 04:40 PM)

Nothing like coming home after a long day to find a bird in the house. And then once you sit down for a well-earned rest after leading the bird back outside, you find it had a friend. A friend who *really* doesn't understand how windows work...

@  PlutoniumBoss : (19 May 2019 - 01:26 PM)

Bingo. The big polls don't tell people what's actually happening because that doesn't sell.

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 AM)

IIRC there are good polls but data is easily manipulated so they give people what they want to hear

@  wonko the sane? : (19 May 2019 - 10:58 AM)

The only way to get people interested in politics is to make into reality TV. So they lie to do it.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (19 May 2019 - 01:38 AM)

Yeah, polling these days is garbage.

@  Sean Whitmore : (18 May 2019 - 11:53 PM)

Well, he was an honest man. He wasn’t gonna lie to a 5-year-old.

@  Paladin : (18 May 2019 - 08:34 PM)

Grandfather once said to me, "I'm going upstairs and hug your grandma."

@  Sabrblade : (18 May 2019 - 07:08 PM)

Mama always said that you can tell a lot 'bout a person from 'is shoes...

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 May 2019 - 03:54 PM)

Life is like a box of chocolates. Stay out of the sun or melt into a pile of gross slop.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 May 2019 - 10:26 AM)

Greasy, disappointing and still managing to be over priced?

@  Lancer : (18 May 2019 - 10:22 AM)

... Yes, it is!

@  Noideaforaname : (18 May 2019 - 09:48 AM)

Life's a fillet of fish!

@  unluckiness : (18 May 2019 - 08:53 AM)

ow the edge

@  Paladin : (18 May 2019 - 07:03 AM)

a reminder that life is an unrepentant hellscape where everyone & everything you know will eventually betray you.

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 06:45 AM)

You know, this election is what has finally broken me of any confidence at any point of pre-polling data. I mean, it's always been sketchy, but this is just... aaaargh!

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 06:08 AM)

I was going to make an Auspol election thread in P&R, but the outcome so far has made me feel physically ill.

@  Gamma V : (18 May 2019 - 03:28 AM)

Haven't been here in a long time.

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 03:16 AM)

I have heard that, it's rather disappointing. Ah, maybe they'll just leech each others stores of "awful racist vote" and not go anywhere.

Photo

Dungeons and Dragons and Other Things

1990 replies to this topic

#21 Adam G

Adam G

Chopper Face 69

• Supporter
  • 10479 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:00 AM

My favourite game is GURPS, Generic Universal Role Playing System. It's great because you can make any kind of campaign or character for it, and you could make characters from different kinds of backgrounds interact easily using all the same rules. Wizard vs. dinosaur vs. superhero vs. alien vs. zombie... whatever!

We're currently playing a compain set in the near future which involves space exploration and colonisation. I'm been the GM for this one and it's been a lot of fun.

Edited by Adam, 06 January 2012 - 09:00 AM.

#22 Vestras

Vestras

Stone by Day, Friendship by Night

• Supporter
  • 8459 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:33 AM

D&D 4E is my bread and butter, though I played a lot of 2e and some 3.0 for a while as well as dabbling Battletech and other random games. I've made peace with Essentials, and really do love the overall system. It's easier to GM than any other game I've played.

I currently DM 2 4E games and play in 2 others as group meetings allow. We also have 1 shot delves once a month to test new concepts or do something random.

My Eberron campaign sadly is in retirement due to poor player research, so I retooled the remainder of the campaign (and let them re-roll new chars) as a 4E campaign set in the Warcraft universe with my own unique twists. That camp is going much better since it got a level of understanding from my less experienced players of how to interact with the world around them. The campaign has already seen them rescue the Prophet Valen, and is currently marooned in the worst swamps of the Wetlands while a mysterious portal churns out oddities. Most of the PCs are from the recent Feywild book (which caught a lot of love from our group).

My main PC is Clavis of the Roaring Rim, a Tiefling Illusionist from Sigil who fled the city when his father (A well known warlord and world-hopper) stopped paying his tuition to the Academy. Clavis jumped a portal to Faerun to doge the debt collectors, and joined up with the party for excitement, adventure and really wild things. Not quite the face, but certainly the most lovable of the party (Dwarf Warpriest of Moradin, Dragonborn Cavalier of Bahamut, Deva Avenger of Avandra, and a Drow Scout). Sadly, this campaign has been on hold for 3 months due to our DMs new job. We hope to return someday.

This month's Random Delve Night is a challenge to create PCs based on the Mane Six from FiM. I already called dibs on Twilight Sparkle
Clearing out some old TFs and Mugenbine in my BST Thread. You know you want some of these.

#23 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE(Adam @ Jan 6 2012, 08:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My favourite game is GURPS, Generic Universal Role Playing System. It's great because you can make any kind of campaign or character for it, and you could make characters from different kinds of backgrounds interact easily using all the same rules. Wizard vs. dinosaur vs. superhero vs. alien vs. zombie... whatever!

Coincidentally enough, I just picked up a copy of GURPS: Illuminati from the local Goodwill today for $0.50 + tax.

I was already toying with the idea of running my party through a spy-themed BESM d20 campaign (I picked up a vintage copy of Top Secret last year), and so I might be able to make use of this.

#24 Adam G

Adam G

Chopper Face 69

• Supporter
  • 10479 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:38 PM

I played Top Secret a bit during the day. It was fun but we weren't really doing much spy stuff, just doing combat. I prefer doing things that are less combat oriented in my RPGs, like here's a weird scenario, I don't have any specific idea of how you would get past it, be creative and do something.

#25 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE(Adam @ Jan 6 2012, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I played Top Secret a bit during the day. It was fun but we weren't really doing much spy stuff, just doing combat. I prefer doing things that are less combat oriented in my RPGs, like here's a weird scenario, I don't have any specific idea of how you would get past it, be creative and do something.

I've had ideas for a few assignments, and I've done what I can to make sure that there's a mix.

For example, one mission would have the party assigned to serve as bodyguards for a prominent Hillary Clinton-type politician; she's gotten death threats from a less-than-successful ex-boyfriend who appears to be jealous of her success, and there's reason to believe that the threats are credible. (They really aren't. If the party is pro-active enough to investigate the ex-boyfriend, they'll learn that he joined the Peace Corps and left the country three months ago. The politician actually hired someone to forge the threats as a way to get some more face time in the media while shaming the guy. Exposing the matter will result in the politician being forced out of office and the ex-boyfriend getting rich off of a book deal.)

Another mission would have the party sneaking into North Korea to rescue Raccoon, a South Korean intelligence operative who was captured and is being held under guard. Not only is the prison facility itself remote and heavily guarded, a North Korean base with a HIND gunship, several transport helicopters, and two platoons of air cavalry is on standby in the event of a jail break or direct assault. (In reality, nobody at the base seriously believes that an attack will come and so they aren't as alert as they should be; the party can easily steal the HIND and use it to blow the prison's garrison to pieces. Oh, and that's not Raccoon in there, either; it's a North Korean document analyst and intel official who was framed by the real Raccoon. The party merely has to attempt the rescue to make the government think the official is the real deal so as to throw them off the trail of the real Raccoon, but if they succeed in "rescuing" him anyway then the South Korean government can easily interrogate him for information later.)

#26 Ashley

Ashley

The nerd formerly known as Waspinator

• Citizen
  • 23653 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:35 PM

On the subject of Pokemon, there's a really funny free parody game called Pokethulhu that I love. It basically takes Pokemon and embraces the "ITS CORRUPTING OUR CHILDREN" claims of crazy people in real life. icon-fire.gif

#27 Devcon

Devcon

'Sup?

• Retired Staff
  • 11821 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:41 PM

I own a copy of that^ icon-fire.gif Fun read.

On the subject of GURPS, I used to run an Illuminati (which was mentioned a few posts ago) game, based mostly on the collectible card game Steve Jackson released - which meant it was crazyness and insanity cranked up to 11. My group was part of the FBI where they "investigated the cases even the X Files wouldn't touch with a 30 foot pole". Ran it for a couple of years but I haven't touched it for over a decade now - my last game actually coincided with Y2K (which the players DID investigate. Every faction in the world had a stake in it and it became a 30 Xanathos-Pileup with the players stuck in the middle. Fun.

Maybe I should dust that campaign up someday...
From the Page of Cage!

#28 WorkbenchManiac

WorkbenchManiac

Clever Girl

• Citizen
  • 1785 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:52 PM

Never played any DnD, and I doubt I ever will.

I have been playing pen and paper role playing games for years, though, most enthusiastically "Das Schwarze Auge" (The Dark Eye in english).
Like many other Germans, DSA was my entry into pen and paper games. I?ve dabbled with other games since, like Exalted and Earthdawn, but I never got into them.

I have not had any interest in RPGs for several years now, but if I were to get back into it, I would most likely revisit Das Schwarze Auge, because I still love the fleshed out low-fantasy setting of Aventuria.

#29 Devcon

Devcon

'Sup?

• Retired Staff
  • 11821 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:59 PM

The Dark Eye (Or "L'Oeil Noir", as it's called here in French) is also my 1st ever RPG. I've been getting nostalgic lately and dug out my old books and re-read the rules.
From the Page of Cage!

#30 Rodimal

Rodimal

To strive, to seek, to find, and NOT to Yield...

• Citizen
  • 1064 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:58 AM

QUOTE(Cybersnark @ Jan 5 2012, 08:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm a life-long D6 fan because I find the whole idea of a class/level system is more trouble than it's worth. Just give me a good template, some guidelines to customize it, and turn me loose.

QUOTE(Rodimal @ Jan 5 2012, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm a huge star wars fan (E.U. up to Survivors Quest and the original movies) and have always wanted to play in the Star Wars Universe. My wife isn't as big a fan as me (she thinks Lucas is bat*&^% insane and has a huge problem with the Force's predestination stuff) and is kinda intimidated by the scope of it all, but she is giving running it a shot.

Ever sampled the old West-End Games version? It's pre-Prequels, so Force-users are treated as exceptions (no midichlorians, no prophecies, no social status for Force-users, practically no Jedi, and effectively only one Sith), and the whole system is practically built to be "pick up and play" (pretty much every sourcebook has a two-page primer that explains the entire process). It was my introduction to RPGs way back when.

Is that the D6 or older D20 version? I played one session with a friend about seven years ago on the old D20 version (the one KOTOR is based on). Might check it out, all though I think for my wife its more a I don't wanna screw it up, I'm not good with space opera than anything else. The setting just adds to it cause I know so much more about it than she does.

card-hotrod.jpg

Look Up!

#31 Ashley

Ashley

• Citizen
  • 23653 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 03:11 AM

There's basically three Star Wars RPGS:

1: The West End Games one. This is based on D6s and came out in the 80s and 90s.

2: Wizards of the Coast d20. This came out in 2000, basically based on D&D 3E.

3: Wizards of the Coast Saga Edition. Still based on the d20 system, but sort of in between D&D 3.5 and 4.0.

General fan consensus seems to be to go with the West End one or Saga Edition and forget choice 2. It honestly wasn't that good.

Edited by Waspinator, 07 January 2012 - 03:12 AM.

#32 Vestras

Vestras

Stone by Day, Friendship by Night

• Supporter
  • 8459 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:03 AM

Well last night was a fun experiment. Got some one-on-one with a player to unlock a new story based power (Which she doesn't understand, but one of the other players got right away~She can now sense Anachronisms), and my first attempt at a modified multi-phase boss fight.

The plot should start to pick up speed now, I just need to make sure I keep up on my prep
Clearing out some old TFs and Mugenbine in my BST Thread. You know you want some of these.

#33 Adam G

Adam G

Chopper Face 69

• Supporter
  • 10479 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:32 AM

QUOTE(Fortress Ironhold @ Jan 6 2012, 04:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
(They really aren't. If the party is pro-active enough to investigate the ex-boyfriend, they'll learn that he joined the Peace Corps and left the country three months ago. The politician actually hired someone to forge the threats as a way to get some more face time in the media while shaming the guy. Exposing the matter will result in the politician being forced out of office and the ex-boyfriend getting rich off of a book deal.)

Reminds me of a good trick to do to more impulsive gamers. Put them in a fairly innocuous situation, and since most situations usually turn to combat, see how long it goes that way.

My brother did a campain which started with the main group getting trapped in an elevator with a completely reasonably acting security guard. After about 45 minutes the security guard was hog tied because he didn't support the destruction of company property to try to get out, because he assumed help was on the way, a completely reasonable assumption under normal circumstances.

#34 Esser-Z

Esser-Z

I'm never going down at the hands of the likes of you

• Citizen
  • 32946 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:04 AM

I was once in a party that argued for an hour, real time, whether to take the forest path or the coastline path. In character. It was amazing.

#35 Ironbite

Ironbite

I might be a touch....angry

• Supporter
  • 27555 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:22 AM

I tend to not care about the weather. Unless the GM actually does, I always assume weather is "nice".

Ironbite-as for time and stuff...only when I'm trying to figure out my spells.

xC9l3eY.gif

#36 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:52 PM

Here are the other spy-type missions I have so far.

Mind taking a look at them?

Thanks.

#1 - shakedown mission

The party has been assigned to patrol an international building contractor's convention in Oklahoma. It's not likely that anything will actually go on, but just in case...

Payoff: If the party tries to chat up the vendors and food-service people, someone will get a wee bit too chatty for their own good...

A popular international musician has just received a credible death threat due to his social activism. The party must protect him during the final leg of his US tour, at which point Interpol will take over.

Payoff: The musician is such a creature of habit that he's an easy mark. If the party can reasonably convince him to alter his routine even slightly, the assassins will miss him by a mile.

An animal rights group is suspected of funding an eco-terrorism group. However, a popular and politically connected celebrity has recently joined their ranks; so long as he's with the group, he can have strings pulled to shield them. The party must somehow separate the two so that a thorough investigation can begin.

Payoff: If the party can somehow get access to the guy's trash, they'll see an absurd amount of fast-food wrappers. He only joined them for the publicity, and the group will readily turn on them once they realize they've been had.

A Wikileaks-type hacker has been leaking sensitive information to the public. The party needs to figure out who the person is and somehow silence them.

Payoff: A player with sufficient computer skill can find the person's online history. If they do, they'll discover that the guy is an open racist and is creating the leaks in part to start a race war. Armed with that information, the party can blast him to smithereens in cyberspace.

A former hacker buddy of the guy in #4 is so mortified by the revelation that he's willing to turn state's evidence and shut down the whole hacker network... if the party helps him discredit an ex-girlfriend who ripped his heart out.

Payoff: The ex-girlfriend hosts a rather mean-spirited hidden camera TV show. Taking her down will be easy if they can track down more of her victims.

A French company believed to be participating in corporate espionage is shipping a case of escargot to an American ally. The party must covertly intercept the shipment and inspect it for evidence.

Payoff: the shipment *is* the evidence; the type of snails used for the escargot is actually a code concerning the current operation.

A turncoat in the CIA's version of the Witness Protection Program very nearly blew her cover. A new handler has been assigned to her case and is looking to make her further disappear, but before she can vanish she needs to hand off her last report. The party is to meet the two of them at a high-profile get-together and retrieve the report, but due to the nature of the two operatives, the bureaucrats won't let the party actually know what they look like.

Payoff: if the party goes to the event, they'll find a couple who stand out for being just a little too good-natured and clean-cut. It's them.

A construction team's efforts to build a water purification plant in Brazil have been repeatedly thwarted by sabotage and outright vandalism. The party must go in to check it out.

Payoff: the damage is being done by eco-terrorists who mistakenly think that a dam is going up; if they learn that it's a purification plant, some of the responsible members will surrender to the authorities in remorse.

#37 Adam G

Adam G

Chopper Face 69

• Supporter
  • 10479 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE(Fortress Ironhold @ Jan 10 2012, 07:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here are the other spy-type missions I have so far.

Mind taking a look at them?

Ha. These are all great. Hope they figure some of them out. Nothing worse than leaving out a clear path of breadcrumbs and having the party just go somewhere completely different. It's hard to plan for everything, and usually most things end up being improvised.

#38 Devcon

Devcon

'Sup?

• Retired Staff
  • 11821 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:05 PM

QUOTE(Esser-Z @ Jan 10 2012, 10:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was once in a party that argued for an hour, real time, whether to take the forest path or the coastline path. In character. It was amazing.

Love it when something like that happens. We used to have a game in which the group was so disfunctional (but in a FUN way, i.e. the character interactions were just too fun to roleplay) in which the GM once said "it's gotten to the point where I don't even need to plan anything. All I need to do is stick a chair in front of your characters and I'll be sufficiently entertained by watching you guys argue about what to do about it or its significance to the world around you" icon-fire.gif
From the Page of Cage!

#39 Ironbite

Ironbite

I might be a touch....angry

• Supporter
  • 27555 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:27 PM

We were doing WLD and we came to a door. And argued how we were gonna go through the door for 15 minutes. We now have a plan on how to get through doors but god damn...this group is paranoid.

Ironbite-then again....the DM is notorious for DMing groups who have troubles with doors.

xC9l3eY.gif

#40 Ashley

Ashley

• Citizen
  • 23653 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:54 PM

Finally, a game honest about PCs being murderous hobos:

http://www.nuklearpo...dal-transients/

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic