Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Pennpenn : (29 April 2017 - 08:35 PM)

There are probably plenty of people who wouldn't know them from Adam. Me, for example.

@  Telly : (29 April 2017 - 08:18 PM)

not from me. id just put him on ignore

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (29 April 2017 - 08:16 PM)

I thought of something else about TFW2005 versus the Allspark. If Ignash was allowed back here, wouldn't that initiate lots of frustration and/or abandonment by people here?

@  Telly : (29 April 2017 - 08:09 PM)

with FRIGGIN laser beams on their FRIGGIN heads!

@  Lazy Garou : (29 April 2017 - 04:32 PM)

the do this to sharks. Friggin' sharks!

@  Lazy Garou : (29 April 2017 - 04:31 PM)

they don't kill. they eat half of your face, and you're left with a hideous tumor where the barnacle is.

@  Locoman : (29 April 2017 - 03:49 PM)

Perhaps the barnacle, consumed with guilt at what he'd done, took his own life after killing everyone

@  Lazy Garou : (29 April 2017 - 02:28 PM)

parasitic barnacles are the stuff of nightmares

@  MEDdMI : (29 April 2017 - 01:39 PM)

But barnacles don't have- *checks* "The main sense of barnacles appears to be touch, with the hairs on the limbs being especially sensitive. The adult also has a single eye, although this is probably only capable of sensing the difference between light and dark.[4]†This eye is derived from the primary†naupliar eye." Huh.

@  ▲ndrusi : (29 April 2017 - 01:29 PM)

He looked in a mirror

@  Evac : (29 April 2017 - 01:26 PM)

He was killed by his own ugliness. Kind of a "Hoist by His Own Petard" thing.

@  MEDdMI : (29 April 2017 - 01:12 PM)

How did the barnacle get killed if everyone died from his ugliness?

@  Whirl Maximus : (29 April 2017 - 11:09 AM)

I've been watching clips of the Japanese dub of the Sunbow movie. Comes with added SCREAMS!

@  Bass X0 : (29 April 2017 - 09:57 AM)

But the ugly barnacle realised he would grow up to become a beautiful oyster. Only he was killed before then for being so ugly.

@  Locoman : (29 April 2017 - 09:46 AM)

That didn't help at all!

@  Evac : (29 April 2017 - 09:32 AM)

Once there was an ugly barnacle. He was so ugly, that everyone died! The end.

@  Bass X0 : (29 April 2017 - 09:16 AM)

But Disney kept making movie sequels, because Disney.

@  TheMightyMol... : (29 April 2017 - 09:06 AM)

And then a zombie ate him. The End!

@  Nutjob R/T : (29 April 2017 - 08:48 AM)

And then Scrooge put Tiny Dull Mind on his shoulder. "God bless us every one!" shouted Tiny Dull Brain.

@  TheMightyMol... : (29 April 2017 - 06:05 AM)

Sanity is the crutch of a dull mind.

@  BlackMax : (29 April 2017 - 06:04 AM)

The former is needful. The latter is a situationally necessary demeanor.

@  BlackMax : (29 April 2017 - 06:03 AM)

I think people are confusing sanity with normalcy.

@  TheMightyMol... : (29 April 2017 - 03:19 AM)

So we can fix them.

@  Bass X0 : (29 April 2017 - 02:32 AM)

why would any sane person come here anyway? 

@  Telly : (29 April 2017 - 02:27 AM)

im not sane. my mother had me tested

@  TheMightyMol... : (29 April 2017 - 02:12 AM)

We're not weird. You're just too sane.

@  Telly : (29 April 2017 - 02:11 AM)

*reads through shoutbox* theres some weird people on this board  :thumbsup

@  Pennpenn : (29 April 2017 - 12:45 AM)

I guess it'd be something like "lit-cad-or-et" presuming the p is still silent.

@  Bass X0 : (29 April 2017 - 12:44 AM)

Your grandma loves you!

@  RichardT1977 : (28 April 2017 - 09:34 PM)

@BlackMax Thank you, Dimitri Martin.

@  Evac : (28 April 2017 - 07:55 PM)

Time keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'... Into the future~♪

@  BlackMax : (28 April 2017 - 06:49 PM)

God spelled backwards is dog. Cat spelled backwards is tac. Pterodactyl spelled backwards is really hard to pronounce.

@  Waspinator : (28 April 2017 - 06:46 PM)

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

@  LordGigaIce : (28 April 2017 - 06:12 PM)

you too, eh?

@  Locoman : (28 April 2017 - 05:40 PM)

Well, I don't know about you, but personally I clawed my way free from the corpse of a goat during the autumn equinox.

@  LordGigaIce : (28 April 2017 - 05:37 PM)

Yep. Also diseases are painful. And trucks are weird!

@  Bass X0 : (28 April 2017 - 04:41 PM)

we're all someone's daughters... we're all someone's sons...

@  Evac : (28 April 2017 - 03:22 PM)

Your creative writing professor is a god, then.

@  Diecast : (28 April 2017 - 03:17 PM)

My creative writing professor read that to my class once, all those years ago.

@  Evac : (28 April 2017 - 02:37 PM)

Sorry, whenever anyone brings up anything related to badfic, I immediately think of Repercussions of Evil.

@  Evac : (28 April 2017 - 02:29 PM)

"No! I must kill the trolls" he shouted. The radio said "No, John. You are the trolls" And then John was a shitposter.

@  Locoman : (28 April 2017 - 02:25 PM)

you lived like a spammer ans died to an moderator

@  Evac : (28 April 2017 - 02:17 PM)

He lived a spammer, and died a moderator.

@  WorkbenchManiac : (28 April 2017 - 02:04 PM)

"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill posts along with the good and let me be judged accordingly."

@  TheMightyMol... : (28 April 2017 - 01:49 PM)

Fool! Snark is my friend! Allow me to introduce you to it!

@  Evac : (28 April 2017 - 11:49 AM)

And I... Have my sarcasm.

@  TheMightyMol... : (28 April 2017 - 11:47 AM)

Search history has changed! Spam forums triumph! And you....you no longer post relevant content!

@  Evac : (28 April 2017 - 11:46 AM)

Mayhem hazzzz planzzzz.

@  Nutjob R/T : (28 April 2017 - 11:36 AM)

Subforums don't die. They wait. And plan.

@  Benbot : (28 April 2017 - 09:44 AM)

Are there any plans to delete or move dead subforums?

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Personal canon theater

1129 replies to this topic

#21 Starfield

Starfield
  • Citizen
  • 1355 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 14 November 2011 - 01:17 PM

Transformers change bodies from time to time, but they make it a point to keep some of their individuality between upgrades. Very few Transformers would want to be completely unrecognizable afterwards.

Transformers who woke up alone on Earth are an especially close-knit group and tend to keep Earth design influences as a badge of honor?even if they are stationed on another planet at the time. Mirage is an excellent example. He did not actually scan an Earth vehicle with sponsorships from "Lithonian Drivetrain" "Witwicky Sparkplugs."

The Real Gear Robots size-change into smallish Minibot to minicassette-sized robots, and are way too cool to be contained by the movieverse. I haven't quite worked out how their device modes have any practical application outside of disguise, however. At the very least they have the ability to hover around. Maybe some of them can fly in that mode.

Action Masters end up shrinking to about the size of the average Minibot. Which is one reason they developed vehicles. Action Master Partners were... discovered on Hydrus IV. They were drawn there from other parts of the galaxy by the promises of Nucleon, but were stranded.

Omega Supreme might be beyond my powers of Personal Cannon. Let's see... I don't know how he can launch his rocket arms off planet then transform into his full robot. Subspace wormhole maybe. There! I did it!

#22 abates

abates
  • Supporter
  • 3740 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:38 PM

My personal canon is that every character has a version in every every continuity. So there's a Spike Witwicky in the Unicron Trilogy universe who we never saw because the Autobots never met him, there's an Airachnid in G1 who we never saw because she got put in the Decepticon Detention Center early in the war, there's a Sky-Byte in the movie universe who the Decepticons got rid of because they couldn't stand his poetry.

How this theory would work with, say Sari who was created through a specific set of circumstances, I'm not sure.

#23 Octavius Prime

Octavius Prime

Do it, FP

• Citizen
  • 9942 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:51 PM

That sounds very DC. I don't think that there has to be a version of every character for every universe, but I do like to imagine that most characters show up in most universes, some times in duplicate - like Energon Jetfire and Skyblast (Skyfire) are both variations of G1 Jetfire. This happens a lot with minicons, too. For example, for a long itme I've imagined that Cyb Crumplezone is the UT version of Ani/TFP Bulkhead (no, it's not SG; he's just a Decepticon because he hung out with that scoundrel Ransack for too long and Megatron realized that he'd be an asset once he arrived on Velocitron). Anyway, that one Gravedigger-looking minicon (and all of my minicons are UT, not Classics/G1) is also a minicon version of Bulkhead/Crumplezone for the UT universe.

I've talked about this before, but one of my big deals for personal canon is that if a toy is a UT mold, that's the universe it belongs in (with some exceptions like SG and TFU Megazarak/s universe).

#24 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

Praise be to Stakeout.

• Supporter
  • 24292 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:18 PM

QUOTE(abates @ Nov 14 2011, 05:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My personal canon is that every character has a version in every every continuity. So there's a Spike Witwicky in the Unicron Trilogy universe who we never saw because the Autobots never met him, there's an Airachnid in G1 who we never saw because she got put in the Decepticon Detention Center early in the war, there's a Sky-Byte in the movie universe who the Decepticons got rid of because they couldn't stand his poetry.

How this theory would work with, say Sari who was created through a specific set of circumstances, I'm not sure.

Presumably she's just really different, like how Armada Smokescreen doesn't have much of anything in common with G1 Smokescreen.

QUOTE(orionpax44 @ Jun 24 2012, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Childrens toys? whaa the boxes seriously say ages 5+ I consider myself the plus.
QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Sep 9 2012, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're talking to ▲ndrusi. Assume everything that he posts is snark.

#25 Moroboshi

Moroboshi

Longtime member, sometimes lurker

• Citizen
  • 942 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:50 PM

The Movie Decepticons are the G2 Imperial Decepticons; all Cybertronians were originally monsters who reproduced through budding, before Quintesson takeover, oppression and reformatting. The Liege Maximo is Movie Megatron (the Liege Megatronus), who left Cybertron eons ago in search of the Liege Prima (aka The Fallen), noble leader of the race who disappeared through Quintesson treachery. In his absence, the Quintessons ruled through puppets like Sentinel Prime, before the type of rebellion we associate with Q rule happened. He never found The Fallen,but did set up an Empire with the help of Starscream's ancestor (his offspring was Machine Wars Starscream, who built G1 Starscream; it's a family line, aristocratic.)

Ultimately, the Liege Maximo sent a force led by Jhiaxus back to Cybertron to see what had become of it.

Lugnut, now in a G1 type body, was part of Jhiaxus's invasion force, which conquered and brutalized G1 Cybertron before ultimately being repelled by the G1 Bot/Con alliance. Now the Empire/Movie Cons left behind either adopt more standard bodies, or live as outcasts (like the Animated Cons).When Lugnut preaches about Megatron, he is actually speaking of the REAL Megatron, who will return one day and deal with that joker who turns into a gun.

This is more my personal continuity than fanon. I like to try to incorporate every line but Animated.

Edited by Moroboshi, 14 November 2011 - 07:30 PM.

#26 Octavius Prime

Octavius Prime

Do it, FP

• Citizen
  • 9942 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:08 PM

QUOTE(▲ndrusi @ Nov 14 2011, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(abates @ Nov 14 2011, 05:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Presumably she's just really different, like how Armada Smokescreen doesn't have much of anything in common with G1 Smokescreen.

Armada Smokescreen just happens to share a name with G1 Smokescreen. The obvious UT analog of G1 Smokescreen is Cyb Smokescreen (and/or Crosswise, who was originally going to be Smokescreen for Cybertron before the name change). Well, I guess there's the Smokescreen-style Minicon Prowl repaint too, if you (like me) think that there can be more than one analog for a given character in some other universes. Particularly in UT, where there are some very similar bulk/minicon "pairs."

And Moroboshi - good Lord. That's confusing.

Lastly, Andrusi, my personal canon has Airachnid being a version of Animated Blackarachnia, Elita-1 past included (but with a mindwipe, so no recognition of Optimus), so I don't consider her to be found in G1, since she's already represented in that continuity (or at least most versions of it; there're so many G1s) by 2 other characters - G1 Elita/Ariel and BW Blackarachnia.

Edited by Octavius Prime, 14 November 2011 - 07:10 PM.

#27 Moroboshi

Moroboshi

Longtime member, sometimes lurker

• Citizen
  • 942 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:32 PM

Machine Wars is a prequel (when Prime was young and had a mouth, Sandstorm had one mode, and Megatron was some puny nobody jet).

#28 Fear or Courage

Fear or Courage

Do I compel you?

• Citizen
  • 1548 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:52 PM

I like that Machine Wars one. It makes a lot of sense.

G1 Cartoon Fanon:

There was a mass exodus of both Autobots and Decepticons into space in the 4 million years of Prime's absence, due to the planet running low on Energon, and the expedition to find more having gone missing. Only Shockwave, the eternal loyalist, stayed behind, along with a few loyal and-or stupid Decepticons, and a lot of drones, explaining why the planet was mostly empty. There were a few pockets of Autobot resistance underground, though, like Alpha Trion and the Female Autobots.

During and after seasons 1 and 2, Megatron was routinely sending shipments of Energon Cubes to Cybertron to re-power the planet. Hence why Spike and Carly saw some in "Desertion of the Dinobots," and commented on their oddness.

By 2005, the planet was re-powered enough that Megatron decided to abandon Earth and make Cybertron his new home base, wiping out the remaining resistance cells in the process.

Some of the Second Season Autobots arrived on Earth on board Omega Supreme, when he tracked the Constructicons to Earth, as mentioned in "The Secret of Omega Supreme." Any others were among the legions scattered throughout space who got word their leader had returned. The same goes for the Second Season Decepticons.

Movieverse fanon:

Movie Megatron is a brilliant planner, but he suffers from a fatal flaw: Extreme paranoia makes him keep his cards as close to his chest as he can, even when it would be better to let more people in on his plans. This frequently resulted in a Decepticon army whose left hand did not know what its right was doing, and wound up backfiring several times as a result. Some examples: He told no one about his deal with Sentinel, so his own troops attempted to shoot down the Ark. He told no one The Fallen was nestled safely on Titan, so no one thought to check on him after Megatron and the Allspark went missing, and so they both rotted on Earth for eons, because he never told anyone of that planet's significance.

Basically, a lot of the movieverse backstory makes more sense if you view his character this way. He may have inherited this trait from The Fallen, as he could be seen as being guilty of it as well.

Edited by Fear or Courage, 14 November 2011 - 09:54 PM.

#29 Pennpenn

Pennpenn
  • Citizen
  • 10397 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:37 PM

QUOTE(Fear or Courage @ Nov 14 2011, 09:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like that Machine Wars one. It makes a lot of sense.

G1 Cartoon Fanon: There were a few pockets of Autobot resistance underground, though, like Alpha Trion and the Female Autobots.

If I may suggest, you could go with Fembots staying because Alpha Trion stayed, and Alpha Trion staying to make sure that the few remaining things of value on Cybetron (ie. Vector Sigma) didn't fall into Decepticon hands.

#30 Creedence

Creedence
  • Citizen
  • 7809 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:03 AM

QUOTE(Unfair Fight @ Nov 14 2011, 03:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Beast Machines never happened

Everybody went home satisfied and Megatron rotted in jail.

Beast Wars is Primax 496.22 Alpha. Beast Machines is Primax 999.18 Alpha and has very little relation to the other universe.

#31 Phlis

Phlis
  • Citizen
  • 403 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:17 AM

[quote name='Moroboshi' date='Nov 14 2011, 07:32 PM' post='1950253']
Machine Wars is a prequel (when Prime was young and had a mouth, Sandstorm had one mode, and Megatron was some puny nobod

I like that. I'll have to fit that into mine as well.

I don't have much fanon to explain things, media wise. However, the one thing I do, is pretty major. I don't like this multiverse thing, especially with the amount of time covered in the Transformers history. So, being that they are robots who routinely upgrade and change bodies, I say everything falls in one timeline similar to what Takara has done, though my personal timeline is much different from theirs. The cartoons take place on Earth-like planets, but except for G1 are not Earth. Characters carry over, those with vastly different personalities have undergone some personal growth (or whatever) but can still be the same guy. Since they have the tech to remove personalities (e.g. the Combaticons) in my opinion they can also make backups for soldiers, which can explain away character deaths and ressurections. After every x number of mega-cycles soldiers routinely back up their personalities, just in case. In the end this is really just about how I organize my toys, and personal need to make things "fit." The timeline goes like this:

Movieverse: The Quintesson/early Cybertron era. These are the first generation of Transformers, still mostly exploring their own abilities and Cybertron itself. The designs, imo, are the most alien, influenced by the Quints. These are the slaves who overthrow their masters.

Armada/Energon/Cybertron and the Powercore Combiners: The Golden Age of Cybertron. After overthrowing the Quintessons, there is a movement on Cybertron for a different style of body, which is widely adopted. Many forms and sizes are explored and Cybertron starts to expand to the stars. Many colonies are setup, and the *master technology is developed, birthing the Minicons. Early drone based combiner technology is also developed shortly before the start of the Great War.

War for Cybertron and now Machine Wars: The Great War. The videogames and War Within comics or some combination of both go here. Anything that comes out for the new game will go here as well. This leads right up to the Ark leaving.

Headmasters/Masterforce/Victory/Zone: The continuation of the Great War after the Ark leaves. The Convoy Corps, and Magnuses are developed here and the Decepticon army goes through a long series of leaders. American and UK G1 comics go here as well, Thunderwing, Straxus, Flame, etc.

G1, Classics, Alternators, G2: The Present and near future, on a sliding timeline similar to DC, G1 is always the present to me, and the Movie is always 20 years in the future. Season 3, rebirth and the IDW comics also take place in the near future. Alternators and Binaltech etc happen between G1 and G2, special undercover missions which required many to taking on different forms from their normal ones.

Animated and Robots in Disguise: The PAX Cybertronia. Most Cybertronians are disarming, and becoming more streamlined to conserve Energon. There are Decepticon fugatives still on the loose and the events of the Animated Cartoon lead to the capture of Megatron and some start to take organic alt modes as exploration ramps up. These, at first are looked down apon, leading to the rise of the Predacon faction.

Beast Wars/Beast Machines/BW2/Neo: The Far Future. These events happen as depicted, except for the reformatting at the end of Beast Machines. After Beast Machines, the events of Beast Wars II and Neo take place.

Prime: I don't know where I want to put this yet. Prime may be the end of The Great War, before Animated, or The Pre-Ark Great War after WfC and FoC, I don't know.

#32 Fear or Courage

Fear or Courage

Do I compel you?

• Citizen
  • 1548 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:23 AM

More Sunbow Cartoon Fanon:

The "Secret of Omega Supreme" origin story for the Constructicons is the canon one. Megatron's lines about building them in "Heavy Metal War" referred to giving them Earth modes, after they tracked him down on Earth as mentioned in SoOS. The robots seen building Megatron in FFOD aren't the Constructicons, just generic construction bots. After all, there's too many of them, and green and purple seems to be the universal color of manufacturers in the TF Multiverse.

Any time we flash back to older times on Cybertron and characters are seen changing into their Earth modes, like in "Secret of Omega Supreme" and "Fire in the Sky," they're not *really* in their Earth modes. It's just a case of an unreliable visual narrator.

The 2005 characters who change into futuristic-looking vehicles are in their Cybertronian modes still. By that point, Transformers are a known factor on Earth, so they decide to not bother. This explains why some 2005 characters (like the Battlechargers) still have traditional-looking Earth modes, and why we generally still see humans driving present-day cars, and not crazy hi-tech vehicles.

#33 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 9823 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:25 AM

I've found that the best way for me to deal with the "multiverse" approach is to ignore it and treat all official TF fiction as a buffet --I'll take a little from here, a little from there, and put everything together into a single "Ultimate" timeline. Character development (and deaths) are usually permanent, but I also have no problems subbing in new characters/locations as needed (basically a mental "search-and-replace" swapping, say, "Prowl" with "Inline," or "Earth" with "Altera").

In the beginning: Each of the 13 were the leaders (Primes) of a particular caste, one of which were the Decepticons, designated as Cybertron's military arm, who eventually grew overzealous. When the Fallen was banished, many of his followers went with him, but others were assimilated into other castes. A new caste was created to replace the Decepticons as the planet's peacekeeping force; the Autobots, whose leader would be the Matrix-Bearer, an appointed (but not "natural") Prime (the idea was that the Autobots would be made up of volunteers from each faction --ensuring that they wouldn't get caught up in the internecine squabbling between the older "land-owning" castes).

(During this time, Skyfire and Starscream left Cybertron on an exploratory mission. Skyfire's younger brother, Jetfire, remained behind.)

Knowledge of the Decepticons was suppressed and forgotten. Eventually, a young energon miner (fleeing a charge of murder) fell into Cybertron's underground pit-fighting world, where he encountered a very old Transformer named Clench. Clench taught the miner about the original Decepticons, and gave him the name "Megatron." Megatron eventually killed Clench and "founded" the Decepticon movement (though without the original's sense of honour and duty).

(Starscream and Skyfire crashed on Earth while investigating strange energon readings [the Vok were already present]. Starscream was forced to escape, intending to get help.)

Orion Pax was an archivist who fell under Megatron's sway. His best friends were Dion (a labourer) and Ariel (an administrator). Dion was in the process of joining the Autobots (basically Cybertron's UN peacekeepers) When Megatron and Orion had their falling-out (before the Senate). It was only after this falling-out that Orion, Dion, and Ariel were killed (as the Decepticon movement turned violent). Alpha Trion rebuilt them into Optronix, Magnus, and Elita (and crafted new identities --most of Cybertron [including Megatron] believed that Orion Pax, Dion, and Ariel were the first civillian casualties of the War). Magnus and Elita joined the war effort, but Optronix chickened out. This led to another falling-out, as Magnus branded Optronix a coward, unwilling to face up to his own responsibility in touching off the war.

(Around this time, the scientist Cerebros, realizing that a war was coming, destroyed his research notes into the powerlinking process, and stole the prototype Fortress-class warship, the Maximus. He departed for parts unknown.)

Meanwhile, Megatron was making alliances (turning the Decepticons from a terrorist movement into a cohesive army). The Seekers refused to submit to a non-Seeker's leadership. Shockwave was able to recover some of Cerebros' powerlinking notes, and used them to create the Gestalt process, using a group of Constructicon "volunteers" as test subjects. He then turned his attention to creating multichangers (and in the process, the Duocons). He later used Cerebros' half-designed "transtector" concept to create "Pretender" shells (with Pretenders basically being triple-changers, with one "mode" being used to link to the shell).

(Starscream returned to Cybertron, intending to get help for Skyfire. The Decepticons intercepted him, and Soundwave brainwashed/mind-raped Starscream into becoming Megatron's servant. They then murdered the leader of the Seekers and installed Starscream in his place. Numerous Seekers refused to side with the Decepticons, and broke away to join the Autobots [among them was Jetfire, who assumed that Starscream had betrayed and murdered his brother].)

As the war went on, Magnus rose through the ranks, becoming Ultra Magnus, and serving at Sentinel Prime's right hand. Elita also gained promotions to the rank of Elita-1. When Sentinel Prime was killed by Megatron, Ultra Magnus was the favourite candidate to replace him. It came as a complete shock when the Council (thanks to Alpha Trion's back-room dealing and Ratbat's need for [what he thought would be] a gullible patsy) named Optronix instead (this led to a renewed break between Ultra Magnus and Optimus).

G1: Optimus assembled the Ark crew (his top people [Ironhide for security, Jazz for second officer, Prowl as XO, Blaster as communications chief, Ratchet as CMO, Wheeljack as chief engineer, Grimlock and his team as emergency combat support] as department heads and a large crew of "generics" [including a young and starstruck Bumblebee, as part of Wheeljack's staff]) and left on what was supposed to be a short retrieval mission. The locations they were searching were retrieved from the archives --the same list of coordinates that Skyfire and Starscream used to plan their mission. Megatron and crew followed aboard the Nemesis. They crashed and ended up in stasis (but not before Starscream fails to recognize this planet [it looks vaguely familiar, but there are too many moons]).

The Beast Wars happened. Earth became seeded with energon, the second moon was destroyed, etc. Though his body was destroyed, Tigerhawk's essence remained intact among the Vok, and he was installed as Earth's guardian.

At some point, the Maximus landed on Earth and Cerebros went into stasis.

Meanwhile, the war continued on Cybertron, between Elita-1/Ultra Magnus and Shockwave. After several vorns passed, Shockwave sent Decepticon warships to search for the Nemesis. Eventually, it became clear that Optimus and Megatron are not coming back. Ultra Magnus and Elita-1 grew close. Magnus handed overall command to Elita-1, and assembled a dedicated strike team that he called the Wreckers. Impactor's name was at the top of his list. . .

(One of those Decepticon ships tried to conquer Velocitron. Things went badly, and the shipwrecked Decepticons struggled to survive, forced to rely on substandard materiel and fuel. They eventually were forced to use budding to replace their dwindling numbers, building short-lived bodies out of low-quality local metals.)

In 1984, the Ark & Nemesis crews awoke (not initially realizing how much time had passed). Knowing that the Decepticons were on the rampage (and with much of the Ark inaccessible from the crash), Optimus was forced to make tough choices as to who got repaired first (which is why a rookie like Bumblebee was among the first wave; he managed to come through the crash mostly intact). Jazz took over as communications chief since Blaster was still in pieces, and the whole group was pressed into combat because the Dinobots had been below-deck during the crash (it took over a year just to dig them out, and their heads. . . never really worked quite right after that).

(More to come as time permits.)

Edited by Cybersnark, 15 November 2011 - 11:39 AM.

#34 SteamPunk Astrotrain

SteamPunk Astrotrain
  • Citizen
  • 1210 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:32 PM

Has anyone figured out a way to put DotM Dark Steel into their personal cannon? I'm still trying to figure it out, myself. The corvette alt-mode certainly fits, but why would the Yosemite Sam of the Beast Wars, suddenly turn into a lifelong sword-master? It would have made far more sense for him to be packaged with a Laserbeak's pair of Gatling guns. Besides, the real Quickstrike died, in one of the last episodes of Beast Wars. So who exactly is this bot?
CW "We could always force him to watch that security footage of Waspinator trying to play an accordion.
DH "Are you kidding? Waspinator couldn't play a kazoo without fragging himself!"

#35 NovaSaber

NovaSaber

Soundwave is colorblind

• Citizen
  • 5112 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:38 PM

QUOTE(Pennpenn @ Nov 14 2011, 06:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Starfield @ Nov 13 2011, 10:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Cavalier @ Nov 13 2011, 07:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Return of Optimus Prime is an OVA, the Rebirth is its sequel. G1 ends with Burden Hardest To Bear

What does "OVA" mean?

It's anime-speak for "This didn't actually happen, but we wanted to do it any. Enjoy!". Most of the time at least.

It actually means "Original Video Animation", or in other words "direct to video". Scramble City and Transformers Zone (which do happen in the same continuity as the Japanese G1 TV cartoons) are the only Transformers OVAs.
It doesn't mean "out of continuity", despite some people using it that way. I can't even think of very many cases where the same thing is both. It's theatrical movies that are often not in the same continuity with associated TV series.

#36 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Citizen
  • 19472 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:51 PM

QUOTE(NovaSaber @ Nov 15 2011, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Pennpenn @ Nov 14 2011, 06:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Starfield @ Nov 13 2011, 10:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Cavalier @ Nov 13 2011, 07:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Return of Optimus Prime is an OVA, the Rebirth is its sequel. G1 ends with Burden Hardest To Bear

What does "OVA" mean?

It's anime-speak for "This didn't actually happen, but we wanted to do it any. Enjoy!". Most of the time at least.

It actually means "Original Video Animation", or in other words "direct to video". Scramble City and Transformers Zone (which do happen in the same continuity as the Japanese G1 TV cartoons) are the only Transformers OVAs.
It doesn't mean "out of continuity", despite some people using it that way. I can't even think of very many cases where the same thing is both. It's theatrical movies that are often not in the same continuity with associated TV series.

There have, however, been a few situations in which individual OAVs might take place in a separate continuity if the series branches off along the way.

For example, in the Tenchi franchise, you've got multiple continuity paths.

The first path is the first seven direct-to-video Tenchi Muyo! episodes, followed by a light novel series created by one of the creative talents and at least one of the three theatrical movies.

The second path is all thirteen of the original direct-to-video Tenchi Muyo! episodes, followed by a fairly long-running manga.

The third path is all thirteen of the OAV episodes, followed by another batch known as Tenchi Muyo: Ryo-Ohki and a questionable spin-off known as Tenchi Muyo GXP, with a random OAV thrown in to explain why a fan-favorite character is seemingly exclusive to the TV series and light novels.

The fourth path is the Tenchi Universe TV series, which nominally stands on its own. (#3 of the three theatricals might be the end-cap to this one)

The fifth path is the Tenchi in Tokyo TV series, which is also a stand-alone (albeit with a few continuity gags concerning another Pioneer production known as El Hazard).

It's entirely possible for a fan of the franchise to follow one or two of the paths to the exclusion of the others. In fact, I have yet to meet a Tenchi fan who openly admits to liking Tenchi In Tokyo.
Lexicon: still up and running!

"At my last intern briefing, Craig was clearly tired. His message had changed to, "Stay out of trouble, period." It seemed that, as director of security, Livingstone was growing old fast. If he didn't watch out, he'd become one of us - a 'Mormon' or a 'straight,' which is what Clinton staffers called FBI agents, the Secret Service, and former Bush employees."

Aldrich, Gary. Unlimited Access Washington D.C.: Regency, 1996. Pg 38

Please visit my Half.com store

Deviant Art page

#37 Creedence

Creedence
  • Citizen
  • 7809 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:18 PM

Not every comment needs a non sequitur digression, Ironhold.

#38 electricidad

electricidad
  • Citizen
  • 389 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:29 AM

QUOTE(Unfair Fight @ Nov 14 2011, 03:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Beast Machines never happened

Everybody went home satisfied and Megatron rotted in jail.

THIS.

#39 Fear or Courage

Fear or Courage

Do I compel you?

• Citizen
  • 1548 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:03 PM

A general one for me:

Unicron, Primus, and the Thirteen being Multiversal Singularities is not true. It's fanon for me because we don't really have anything within fiction that straight up says this except for statements from Hasbro and company, and a few trading cards. I might be wrong, but there hasn't been an actual storyline incorporating this.

The Fallen who was killed in ROTF, and the Primes he killed in the past were distinct from the ones in TF Prime, or in The War Within, or Exodus. They weren't engaging in some weird quantum-reverse-time-travel stuff. They were separate characters in different universal streams.

This means that, there's a Sunbow Unicron who was created by Primacron but rebelled, a Marvel Unicron who fought Primus at the beginning of the universe, a Dreamwave Armada Unicron who hopped nearby universal streams, eating everything in each universe as he went, and DIDN'T create the Minicons, an Anime Armada Unicron who DID create the Minicons, and hid out as Cybertron's moon, and fed off the hatred of the war, a G.I. Joe Crossover Unicron with an organic brain at his core, and a Prime Unicron that did....whatever he did on that show (I'm only halfway through S1).

Really, which is the simpler thing to believe? That all 15 of these characters are the same guy, and fanwank like crazy to explain all the things that don't match up, or just believe them to be unrelated?

Edited by Fear or Courage, 16 November 2011 - 12:04 PM.

#40 Tindalos

Tindalos
  • Citizen
  • 1194 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:59 PM

Oh, another one is that Energon farms work by nucleation, where the farms are more like paddy fields.

In essense, small crystals of energon (which is probably a transuranic metal lying within the Island of Stability), are planted in fields, and a liquid that's super-saturated with disolved energon is spread over it. The energon crystallizes around the seed crystal, creating larger, more plant-like crystal structures which are then collected, shaped into pleasing shapes, and the parts left over are mixed with other industrial waste, rendered down and disolved, and used to create more energon "plants".

Due to the left over particulates of metal and chemicals in the solvent, the fields would end up muddy, neccessitating protective equipment to stop it getting into a farmer's sensitive gears and levers. Resulting in the term "mudflap" for those from the Energon Farms.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users