Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Ashley : (21 April 2019 - 10:08 PM)

They frequently do, but yeah there's no rule. Google will usually answer it for a specific restaurant, though

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 April 2019 - 02:57 PM)

Depends on the restaurant and the area. There's no universal rule about it.

@  TM2-Megatron : (21 April 2019 - 02:41 PM)

I thought restaurants were one of the few things that stayed open on holidays, along with movie theatres and the like

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (21 April 2019 - 02:30 PM)

Well here I am hungry on a Sunday afternoon and I head to Chipotle only to find out right then and there that the place is closed for Easter. Yay.

@  MEDdMI : (19 April 2019 - 09:21 PM)

oof, yikes. Good luck.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 April 2019 - 09:18 PM)

We're in the middle of a kitchen reno and NOTHING will be done until tuesday. I could beat a four day weekend with a hammer right now if it meant I could use my stove again.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 April 2019 - 06:47 PM)

Can't beat 4 day weekends either.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 April 2019 - 06:47 PM)

I prefer later shifts myself, but my 3 day weekend shift isn't bad. Nice to work without those administration busy bodies poking around.

@  Nevermore : (19 April 2019 - 04:12 AM)

Yeah, traffic is a plus as well. Rarely got any trouble getting to work on late shift (even with the neverending construction site on the highway), and when my shift is over, there's hardly any traffic at all anymore.

@  MEDdMI : (18 April 2019 - 06:27 PM)

while I don't have weekends consistently off, working 2nd shift isn't so bad. I'm more likely to do stuff before work than after (when I'm already tired). Plus no rush hour traffic

@  TM2-Megatron : (18 April 2019 - 05:03 PM)

Switching shifts constantly is never good for one's health. There was a time when I worked overnights steady for about 2 years; did wonders for my health, as well

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:36 PM)

Don't miss early shift (and especially switching back and forth every two weeks) a bit.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:36 PM)

Man, permanent late shift really has done wonders for my overal well-being. Never having to get up early for work, staying up late, weekends off... a ot of my coworkers think I'm crazy, but late shift is really my preferred shift.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:33 PM)

(My total lack of sleep on that day might have contributed, though.)

At noon, it was warm.

On Monday, we went on strike early in the morning, I was also wearing to jackets and gloves and my toes and fingers were freezing.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 April 2019 - 04:31 PM)

Nope, right now my days are doing that. Frigid at night (Well, just below zero, but still.) and warm enough to be always be ill prepared during the day.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:28 PM)

Today it's so warm I had to take a shower to wash off the sweat after a lengthy bike trip.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:27 PM)

This past Friday I was wearing two jackets and winter gloves outside and took a hot bath when I returned home.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:27 PM)

Is "April weather" an issue in other countries as well, or is that specifically a German phenomenon?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2019 - 11:04 AM)

Well, when you understand the history of the area it make sense. It's basically a series of countries buying the place, moving in, saying "we rule you people now", and the locals shrugging and responding, "okay, you have fun with that".

@  Sabrblade : (16 April 2019 - 07:58 AM)

When did we all turn into Henry Higgins?

@  unluckiness : (16 April 2019 - 03:16 AM)

To be fair, most Americans can't get the hang of English, so I can understand why.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2019 - 03:15 AM)

(And yeah, Calliope is a Greek muse, not French, but the street was named BY the French when they took over.)

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2019 - 03:10 AM)

In New Orleans there's a bunch of streets with French names that are pronounced by locals with a more English emphasis, for example "Calliope Street" is pronounced "CAL-lee-ope".

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 11:56 PM)

I figured as much for Canadians.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 April 2019 - 11:37 PM)

hm; whenever I've heard people talk about the school they said it the same way as the cathedral...but I guess that's in Canada, so they're probably more familiar with the cathedral than the school

@  Dracula : (15 April 2019 - 11:11 PM)

There's plenty of place names in the US like that. Around here we have an "el doh-RAY-doh," and up north there's a Cairo that's pronounced "kay-roh"

@  RichardT1977 : (15 April 2019 - 09:56 PM)

Yeah, the common pronunciation of the University is probably the reason most Americans don't pronounce the Cathedral name correctly.

@  Arazyr : (15 April 2019 - 08:03 PM)

That's my understanding of how the two are supposed to be pronounced as well.

@  Echowarrior : (15 April 2019 - 07:42 PM)

When I'm talking about the cathedral, I say "noh-treh dahme". When I talk about the university, I say "noh-ter dayme". I don't see a problem with that.

@  Paladin : (15 April 2019 - 06:26 PM)

guessing "Hunchback" just got bumped WAY down the list for Disney's live-action remakes...

@  Patch : (15 April 2019 - 05:56 PM)

We all pronounce it wrong, so no one knows enough to care.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 April 2019 - 05:40 PM)

It'd be odd for most Americans not to know how to pronounce Notre Dame, considering they have a University with the same name that's the subject of a relatively popular film based around a sport most Americans love

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 04:22 PM)

Three or four more hours will be needed to contain the fire.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 04:22 PM)

Update from France 24: the Paris Fire Brigade says two towers and the main structure of the cathedral have been saved from complete destruction.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 03:57 PM)

One does not have to speak French to know that rhyming with "voter name" is off the mark.

@  Locoman : (15 April 2019 - 03:51 PM)

Really? It's an international tragedy and you're zeroing in on the people who maybe don't speak French?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 03:44 PM)

@Tm_Silverclaw I just read on BBC News that the cause is not yet clear, but officials suspect the fire could be linked to renovation work.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 03:42 PM)

Oh boy, here we go with the U.S.-American newscasters who can't pronounce "Notre Dame" correctly.

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 April 2019 - 03:38 PM)

Too soon to say.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (15 April 2019 - 03:20 PM)

Do we know if it was an attack? Arson? Or just bad wiring?

@  Nevermore : (15 April 2019 - 02:10 PM)

Religion is dead?

@  Paladin : (15 April 2019 - 02:01 PM)

major cathedral burning down on Holy Week is some kind of metaphor.

@  Benbot : (15 April 2019 - 12:54 PM)

Hard to believe a wonder of the world could just be wiped out so easily. Hopefully they can still save it

@  Benbot : (15 April 2019 - 12:51 PM)

Well, Notre Dame is burning down

@  Benbot : (15 April 2019 - 10:05 AM)

yikes I thought the site was going to be down for a while

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 09:07 PM)

So, time for another strike. No sleep for me tonight. Oh well.

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 09:04 PM)

Think Game of Thrones "light" meets Cabaret and you get the idea.

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 09:03 PM)

Kinda sorta, just with more intrigue, conspiracy, depravity, crime and violence.

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Lego Thread 3.0 - and off-brand bricks too

Best Answer Wheelimus, 31 July 2018 - 05:59 PM

Hey everyone we've got something exciting to announce - now when you're going to buy LEGO anyway you can simultaneously support The Allspark! Here's some links for ya!

General link (note the free shipping on orders over $35)

Sale items link

Thanks for reading and thanks for supporting the community!

Travis

Go to the full post

5699 replies to this topic

#41 Ashley

Ashley

The nerd formerly known as Waspinator

• Citizen
  • 23625 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:02 PM

I don't think so, but there was a bunch of Warcraft stuff shown at Blizzcon. Oh, and this poll implies more Starcraft ships:

http://blog.megablok...battle-cruiser/

#42 Dvandom

Dvandom

Purveyor of Ponies. And Physics.

• Supporter
  • 16805 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:47 PM

Went ahead and took advantage of the Mega Blok sale. Got the MegaZord and the Blue Dragon Zord, plus a half off Dragons Universe set, for $53 and free shipping.

---Dave, moderately annoyed True Heroes aren't included in the sale.
DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/BW --
NEWS, REVIEWS and SIGHTINGS
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#43 (Deactivated) BB Shockwave

(Deactivated) BB Shockwave
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:07 AM

QUOTE(Smitty @ Nov 25 2011, 05:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The new Lego MInifig Robot has a big wind-up key in his back!!!! icon-fire.gif Awesome!

Also, who else is going to use one of the Snakemen's head to create Frank from Donnie Darko from Bunnysuit guy? icon-hotrod.gif

Edited by BB Shockwave, 30 November 2011 - 09:09 AM.

#44 Boss Borot

Boss Borot
  • Citizen
  • 4523 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:35 PM

I finally noticed that my local WM has the random minifigs, so I bought two packs. I got a boxer and a gladiator! Pretty neat. I like all the extra painted details.

#45 Nanite

Nanite

Imminently Ignorable

• Supporter
  • 5066 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 12:11 AM

Anyone else buying the Character Building blindpacks? I'd place them below Mega Blocks in quality, but they're cheap fun.
On them twitters

#46 Dvandom

Dvandom

• Supporter
  • 16805 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 10:02 AM

Yeah, I ended up with all the astronauts in the box the first time I bought a half dozen packs.

---Dave
DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#47 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 42076 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:49 PM

QUOTE(Dvandom @ Dec 3 2011, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, I ended up with all the astronauts in the box the first time I bought a half dozen packs.

---Dave

You too? I have two, gave a third to my sister, and just the other day when I was checking out the packs that I got for stocking stuffers felt the backpacks for two more astronauts.

Yikes.

Well, at least I'm pretty much set on them. I got a black ninja, two red ninjas (Jinx!), a construction worker, an army guy (Bob's gonna fight my Weeping Angel!), a special forces guy (might switch the pants with the army guy to make a Flint), a knight, and the two astronauts. I might still try for a zombie, but I haven't really come across any blind packs that have felt like him.

#48 Ashley

Ashley

• Citizen
  • 23625 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:13 AM

I'm not sure if the Rattlecopter is awesome, hilarious, or both:
http://www.brickset....ail/?set=9443-1

#49 Nutjob R/T

Nutjob R/T

I love this thread.

• Citizen
  • 25069 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:38 AM

Snowshoe Jetpack!
Earth is Kill because Santa.

#50 Dvandom

Dvandom

• Supporter
  • 16805 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:57 PM

I forget the name, but the bigger vehicle is actually a giant version of those "flip over to make it another car" toys. So far I've only seen that and the Rattlecopter in stores, though, none of the smaller sets yet.

---Dave
DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#51 Boss Borot

Boss Borot
  • Citizen
  • 4523 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:17 PM

QUOTE(Waspinator @ Dec 5 2011, 04:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not sure if the Rattlecopter is awesome, hilarious, or both:
http://www.brickset....ail/?set=9443-1

Oh hey, it's Snaketocopter!

#52 Esser-Z

Esser-Z

I'm never going down at the hands of the likes of you

• Citizen
  • 32946 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:19 PM

I need the Rattlecopter. It's so awesome.

#53 DeadPigmon

DeadPigmon
  • Supporter
  • 12338 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:15 PM

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/12/05/mojang-h...inecraft-legos/

"Mojang has officially begun courting a relationship with LEGO, with the ultimate goal of creating an official Minecraft set of the popular building blocks. The company announced the initiative on Cuusoo, a site devoted to helping amateur (plastic) bricklayers make a connection with the LEGO company.

The concept is simple, builders propose an idea for a LEGO set and, should said idea gain 10,000 supporters, it will be reviewed officially by LEGO. If LEGO decides to produce the set, the project's creator will receive a royalty. Should the Minecraft set reach production, Mojang has promised to donate its royalty to charity. The project is well on its way to an official review, with nearly 1,000 supporters, though Mojang's Daniel Kaplan tweeted that the company is also "working directly with LEGO" to make the project a reality.

Far be it from us to point out the obvious, but wouldn't Minecraft LEGOs just be ... LEGOs?"

First Thought: YAY!
Second Thought: STOP SAYING LEGOs!

#54 Boss Borot

Boss Borot
  • Citizen
  • 4523 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:24 PM

So it'd be what..a set of 2x2 square bricks with different painted textures, some tools, a square-headed minifig, and maybe a creeper? I'd probably buy it icon-ironhide.gif

#55 Ashley

Ashley

• Citizen
  • 23625 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:57 PM

I'd assume they would include some custom parts to make "Steve" and a creeper or something.

#56 Dvandom

Dvandom

• Supporter
  • 16805 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:32 PM

Just built the Blue Dragon Folding Zord set (PRSamurai Mega Bloks). It's...okay. Pretty solid in the pieces, although the joints are a bit iffy.

There's a second model shown on the package, but A) there's no instructions for it in the box (not exactly a dealbreaker, mind you) and B) there's two dozen pieces that aren't even used in the main model, just there for the second one.

My biggest objection, though, is that they break the cardinal rule of stickers: the stickers cross many pieces, making it so that you can't disassemble the model if you put the stickers on.

---Dave, hoping the MegaZord is better.
DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#57 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 41243 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:46 PM

Go to the crafts store and buy a scalpel. Use that to cut the stickers. It's not a perfect solution, but short of not applying stickers... I dunno.

#58 Dvandom

Dvandom

• Supporter
  • 16805 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:55 PM

Oh, I have plenty of sharp enough blades. But designing it to put stickers on the sides of stacks of thin panels? Bad design. Better would have been to lose the second-model pieces, put on some flat panels and side-peg pieces so that you could mount the stickers on flats hanging from the sides.

---Dave
DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#59 Dvandom

Dvandom

• Supporter
  • 16805 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:18 PM

Okay, I built the MegaZord. Took two hours, and the stickers were just as bad. At least most of them go on flat panels, and just needed to be cut into 3-5 pieces each. The ones on the sides of the legs I left off, since they'd need to go into a dozen or so pieces each. There's enough leftover pieces to make a kibble jet, but neither of the alternative models is worth bothering (and both require removing stickers from even the flats). Oh, and there's the occasional color error in the instructions.

The final result is pretty nice, although the ball joints aren't stiff enough even with the rubber cups stuck into them. I might take them out and stick something behind each to increase the pressure. While chunky, the nine large ball joints do allow for pretty good articulation.

Worth $35? All in all, probably not. But a nice break from a day of grading.

---Dave
DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#60 Ashley

Ashley

• Citizen
  • 23625 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:32 PM

Those sticker problems sound like a deal breaker. From what I've seen in-store on packaging, they're doing some smaller sets of a figure plus control console. I might just get those to get the figures and forget about the larger sets.

Reply to this topic

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users