Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 09:07 AM)

Wear a hazmat suit. It's Walmart, they're used to weird.

@  wonko the sane? : (12 November 2019 - 07:54 AM)

2 inches of snow on the side of the house, 2 feet of snow on the deck. I hate this winter already.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (11 November 2019 - 11:33 PM)

But that requires actually going IN walmart. ;P

@  Liege : (11 November 2019 - 11:22 PM)

Pro tip for anyone hunting the for the Walmart 35th exclusives: try the seasonal aisles rather than the toy section. I found the display with all the exclusives and a bunch of the reflector wave practically untouched amongst those novelty arcade machines and a bunch of frozen merch.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 November 2019 - 09:45 PM)

Although that does spark an idea for me. In a new continuity, Censere the Necrobot could be the herald Cityspeaker for Quintessa the Necrotitan just to play on their monikers utilizing Greek for dead, nekrós.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 November 2019 - 09:26 PM)

I hate to burst your bubble, Maximus Ambus, but 90% of things said in IDW turned out to be amnesiac half-rememberings courtesy of Adaptus or outright lies courtesy of Shockwave.

@  Jenny : (11 November 2019 - 08:54 AM)

The toy's designed to look like Wipe-Out, anyway.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 November 2019 - 08:14 AM)

Didn't they try to retcon that into a figure of speech because that connection went against everybody else's long-term plans?

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 November 2019 - 03:53 AM)

There's still some connection given Trypticon was created by Mortilus.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 November 2019 - 12:12 AM)

Yeah that toy doesn't exactly look like Necrobot.

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 08:24 PM)

But.... it's just "Necro" not "Necrobot".

@  TheMightyMol... : (10 November 2019 - 05:10 PM)

But why does the God of Death need a giant space kaiju? Wait, never mind, answered my own question.

@  Maximus Ambus : (10 November 2019 - 02:15 PM)

Yowza I just realised Titans Trypticon comes with Necro AKA Censere AKA Mortilus.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:15 PM)

I... think the best equivalent would actually be the British "There is room for improvement".

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:15 PM)

There's always a sense of irony to it, but what the ratio between irony (you really failed) and straightworwardness (at least you achieved something) is depends on the situation and the speaker.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:12 PM)

The meaning can be both literal (you succeed on one level but fail on another), or it can be utterly ironic (you fail in every regard but the most technical; or even worse, "you really gave your best"), and anything in between.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:10 PM)

For example: A singer can hit the notes really well, but clearly isn't a native speaker and what little of the lyrics you can make out sounds nothing like what it's supposed to be.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 November 2019 - 01:06 PM)

The premise seems to be the mixing of technical and aesthetic technical qualities towards the overall success.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 November 2019 - 01:05 PM)

But both "hollow victory" and pyrrhic victory" are referring to having lost as much as you've gained. IE; a battle was won but both armies were destroyed. The town being seiged is victorious, but all the soldiers are still dead. Nevermore's concept is more "You did it, but it's so ugly we don't know if you actually succeeded".

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 11:35 AM)

Alternately, one could probably also call it a "hollow victory".

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 11:35 AM)

Example: In the Powerpuff Girls episode "Uh Oh Dynamo", the monster-of-the-day was a really tough, giant-size one that required the use of a really destructive mech to defeat it. While the monster was ultimately beaten, the city of Townsville was utterly trashed by the mech's weapons in the process. So, while the city was saved from the monster, it was harmed even worse by the mech that saved it, making the victory bittersweet.

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 11:32 AM)

@Nevermore, sounds to me like what one might call a "bittersweet victory". The goal was met, but at great cost or by disastrous result that call into question if the achieved goal could even be called a success.

@  Arvegtor : (10 November 2019 - 09:40 AM)

Seems to be close enough to "Pyrrhic victory"

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 November 2019 - 09:37 AM)

What do you get from putting the German term through a translator?

@  wonko the sane? : (10 November 2019 - 08:57 AM)

That is a ridiculously interesting concept. But I don't think english has a singular term for what you're describing.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 08:28 AM)

Is there an English equivalent for what we Germans call "deductions in the B rating"? Context: Someone did something and suceeded on a technical level (as in, achieved the intended goal), but failed to some degree in the details, i.e. there was some collateral damage, or while a technical success, the end result is an aestetic failure. It can be used highly ironically, as in "barely achieved the intended goal, but failed so much in every aspect that's not purely technical that it might as well be considered an utter failure altogether." The German term is derived from the old judging syste in figure skating, which gave separate ratings for "technical merit" and "presentation", with the latter being the origin of the German term.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (10 November 2019 - 02:32 AM)

Huh. I did not know before today that "medieval" had an alternate spelling "mediaeval". Like "paleontology" and "palaeontology".

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 November 2019 - 04:15 PM)

'Beast Wars in underrated' the comment went. I exploded.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (09 November 2019 - 02:19 PM)

Absolutely.

@  wonko the sane? : (09 November 2019 - 02:14 PM)

So... you can look like a cop from the 70's AND a huge nerd at the same time?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (09 November 2019 - 02:09 PM)

I feel like the best way to carry the Switch would be an under-arm torso holster.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (09 November 2019 - 12:31 PM)

It's not. hell. If the 3DS zelda case just stretched a LITTLE more it would fit.

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 November 2019 - 03:38 AM)

I feel like the Switch Lite is a bit big to have hanging on your belt like that, but I don't take my Switch out with me often anyway.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (09 November 2019 - 01:13 AM)

I must be the only one who wants a switch lite case with a belt loop. o.O

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 November 2019 - 03:03 PM)

I'm gonna have "Chainsaw Buffet" and "Candy For the Cannibal" by Lordi playing in my head all night.

@  Maximus Ambus : (08 November 2019 - 12:36 PM)

Trick or treaters can only consent to cannibalism in Germania.

@  Sabrblade : (07 November 2019 - 12:12 PM)

Hey, if the trick or treaters can't take some loving insults, that's their problem.

@  Arazyr : (07 November 2019 - 11:39 AM)

Just make sure to put the leftovers in the fridge, so they don't get spoiled.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 November 2019 - 11:10 AM)

I love children... but I can never eat a whole one.

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 November 2019 - 09:52 AM)

I can neither confirm nor deny this allegation.

@  Paladin : (07 November 2019 - 09:46 AM)

...you don't roast the trick or treaters, do you....

@  wonko the sane? : (07 November 2019 - 09:38 AM)

A cold beer, a warm fire, some smores and trick or treaters... Man, you got this life thing down.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 November 2019 - 09:37 AM)

That actually sounds pretty awesome.

@  MEDdMI : (07 November 2019 - 08:59 AM)

we'll move to the open garage if it's raining

@  MEDdMI : (07 November 2019 - 08:58 AM)

every Halloween since we got a house, TMM and I chill in the driveway with a fire bowl and roast things while handing out candy. It's pretty great.

@  Maximus Ambus : (07 November 2019 - 03:42 AM)

Peter Cullen voiced King Kong let that sink in.

@  TM2-Megatron : (06 November 2019 - 11:42 PM)

I've noticed that after a year or two, though, people with children will start getting into it for their kids

@  TM2-Megatron : (06 November 2019 - 11:41 PM)

I think a lot of the decline you see in Halloween is due to newcomers to Canada who don't really get it... I mean,there are only a handful of countries in the world that practice this particular oddity

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (06 November 2019 - 12:29 PM)

I recently attended a talk on Samhain and its associated mythology by a professor from Limerick.

@  Otaku : (06 November 2019 - 11:49 AM)

Trunk or Treats have become more popular because it is supposed to be safer, and even if it isn't, it just tends to be easier for the Trick-or-Treaters.

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Lego Thread 3.0 - and off-brand bricks too

Best Answer Wheelimus, 31 July 2018 - 05:59 PM

Hey everyone we've got something exciting to announce - now when you're going to buy LEGO anyway you can simultaneously support The Allspark! Here's some links for ya!

General link (note the free shipping on orders over $35)

Sale items link

Thanks for reading and thanks for supporting the community!

Travis

Go to the full post

5739 replies to this topic

#5721 Dvandom

Dvandom

Purveyor of Ponies. And Physics.

• Supporter
  • 17071 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 05 October 2019 - 05:20 PM

Spotted Overwatch Wrecking Ball at Walmart today, and it rang up at $16...probably an accident in which they meant to clearance the previous set at that price point but got the new stuff too.

---Dave

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/BW --
NEWS, REVIEWS and SIGHTINGS
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#5722 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 3581 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 05 October 2019 - 07:27 PM

Picked up the City Advent Calander the other day, not started on it because its got to wait until Dec 1st as that is the rules in regards to advent Calanders, I compared it to the Star Wars and the Harry Potter and concluded, I liked the city one best, the Star Wars one is more about the lame sequel era than the original and prequels, the Harry Potter, just seems kind of half hearted and not very inspired, the friends one, I didn't bother to look at, as its more towards girls than boys, which is fine as lego is meant for any gender, boy or girl.

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#5723 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19338 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 10:39 PM

Spotted Overwatch Wrecking Ball at Walmart today, and it rang up at $16...probably an accident in which they meant to clearance the previous set at that price point but got the new stuff too.

---Dave

Speaking of which, Wrecking Ball is a fantastic set.  Pretty damned solid value for the money, and loaded with features for its compact size.

#5724 PlutoniumBoss

PlutoniumBoss

In whatever heinous realm that it squats...

• Citizen
  • 6821 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 11 October 2019 - 11:30 PM

I have never played Overwatch, know nothing about the characters, and I absolutely love this Wrecking Ball set. The way the ammo drums fit exactly in the wheel wells of the car hood pieces on the shoulders is especially nice, the hamster figurine is great, the elevator action in the cockpit, there are tons of nice moments in this build.

In need of Movie Arcee's missile, PM me if you have a spare.

#5725 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Staff
  • 39056 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 15 October 2019 - 09:10 AM

So my nephew is turning 7 this month, and he has recently got into LEGOs. I asked my brother what to get him, and he recommended this:

https://www.amazon.c...964111650&psc=1

It looks like a neat lego storage container and they stack, which is cool as he already has one. I also picked him up a small lego set with Superman and a large green base.

My kids are still in the Duplo stages, but they love them. My oldest is turning four next month so I am going to have to find her some more cool Duplo sets.

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#5726 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5398 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 10:43 AM

I'm tempted to get some of those!

#5727 The Predaking

The Predaking

• Staff
  • 39056 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 11:15 AM

Its pretty big too. Can't wait to give it to him next weekend.

#5728 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 3581 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 04:24 PM

I'm sure your kid will like the boxes, I know my nephew, who almost 7 is big on lego and Transformers thou I think he more lego than TF, thou he has a habbit of taking apart some of my models, a while ago I packed my big castle away to have a space port, the rollar coaster didn't last long before it got taken apart, its currently in a old icecream tub in pieces, so at times I am having to rebuild some of my models, the other day I came home from work, my nephew been round, the Batmobile had been demolished at the rear end, Batman hijacked my Byplane and somewhat parked/crash landed in between two of the plastic storage boxes that have the wooden board that holds the space port of sort of mine. I guess I now need to figure out what to give him for his birthday and Christmas as they are coming up, the birthday first at the end of November so I got time.

#5729 fourteenwings

fourteenwings
  • Citizen
  • 1917 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 12:07 AM

I made a video recreating the opening sequence from the American sitcom Half & Half. I wasn't exactly a "big" fan of the show (though I have seen a few seasons over the years), but I loved this opening sequence. In fact, I knew the dance by heart for a few years.

Not only did I make the original opening sequence, I also made an additional two to go with the sets (because it has a lot of sets).

Here's the original, and here's the funky, soul train inspired psychedelic set version. There's another with the initial sequence set, but I'm still undecided on the overall editing I should do.

All that really matters is we could be friends

✰Japanimation Connoisseur✰

#5730 PlutoniumBoss

PlutoniumBoss

• Citizen
  • 6821 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 11:42 PM

Got the Reinhardt/D.Va set and they're a pretty good pair of mechs too. Though I don't know why the instructions have you put the two blaster pieces in D.Va's cockpit pointed up, she can only hold them when they're plugged in downward like this. I know it's more accurate to have her arms forward, but then she's just rattling around loosely in that space.

dvabrix.JPG

#5731 PlutoniumBoss

PlutoniumBoss

• Citizen
  • 6821 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 02:25 AM

https://www.youtube....h?v=q1Kog8q_S-0

#5732 The Predaking

The Predaking

• Staff
  • 39056 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 09:18 AM

So my Nephew liked his Lego stuff. I got him a base and the box, but he loved the little $4 Miniecrat baggie set I got him from walmart. It had a builder with a stone sword, a creeper, and a few pieces to make a TNT set.

My Oldest just turned four, and i got her some Cat in the Hat Megablocks, the kind that are Duplo compatible,  and she loved that. I think that Duplos just might be the default gift for her and her sister for the next few years.

#5733 Dvandom

Dvandom

• Supporter
  • 17071 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 07:12 AM

Hit a Qman dud.  Brick quality is still fine, and they look decent, but the builds are too fragile, depending on single-stud connections and bits that would be loose on Lego too.

MechaLeagueQman.JPG

---Dave

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#5734 Nutjob R/T

Nutjob R/T

I love this thread.

• Citizen
  • 25330 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 01:55 PM

Is it just me or is High Power Battery basically a Marauder?
Earth is Kill because Santa.

#5735 Dvandom

Dvandom

• Supporter
  • 17071 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 11:53 PM

Yep.  That was my main motive for getting the set...too bad it's such a crap build.

---Dave

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#5736 Dvandom

Dvandom

• Supporter
  • 17071 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 12:49 AM

Decided to see if the "combined" robot was any better.  Nope.  Still super-fragile, and not only is it not a combiner in the sense of retaining obvious signs of the original bots, it leaves out 20-30 percent of the pieces.

MechaLeagueQman2.JPG

MechaLeagueQman3.JPG

---Dave

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#5737 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 3581 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 03:14 PM

Decided to see if the "combined" robot was any better.  Nope.  Still super-fragile, and not only is it not a combiner in the sense of retaining obvious signs of the original bots, it leaves out 20-30 percent of the pieces.

attachicon.gifMechaLeagueQman2.JPG

attachicon.gifMechaLeagueQman3.JPG

---Dave

Kind of looks like a prototype Devestator created by Shockwave, when he was having a not so Logical day

#5738 Dvandom

Dvandom

• Supporter
  • 17071 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:36 PM

In other news, if you remember those "not really Bionicle" punching bots that Mega Blocks had a while back, Block Tech has a KO of two of those available in a shrinkwrapped two-pack for $10 at Big Lots this holiday season.

---Dave

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#5739 Dvandom

Dvandom

• Supporter
  • 17071 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 05:28 PM

A slightly better Qman offering, usually sold as "Bruticus" on Wish.  I tweaked the build of the kibblemonster in places to let me do a vehicle mode with just the kibble pieces, the official vehicle mode is a completely different build.

DestroyerAres2.JPG

DestroyerAres1.JPG

---Dave

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#5740 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 3581 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 07:29 PM

Looks like Bruticus has been on a EXTREME diet!

Reply to this topic

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users