Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Ashley : (21 April 2019 - 10:08 PM)

They frequently do, but yeah there's no rule. Google will usually answer it for a specific restaurant, though

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 April 2019 - 02:57 PM)

Depends on the restaurant and the area. There's no universal rule about it.

@  TM2-Megatron : (21 April 2019 - 02:41 PM)

I thought restaurants were one of the few things that stayed open on holidays, along with movie theatres and the like

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (21 April 2019 - 02:30 PM)

Well here I am hungry on a Sunday afternoon and I head to Chipotle only to find out right then and there that the place is closed for Easter. Yay.

@  MEDdMI : (19 April 2019 - 09:21 PM)

oof, yikes. Good luck.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 April 2019 - 09:18 PM)

We're in the middle of a kitchen reno and NOTHING will be done until tuesday. I could beat a four day weekend with a hammer right now if it meant I could use my stove again.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 April 2019 - 06:47 PM)

Can't beat 4 day weekends either.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 April 2019 - 06:47 PM)

I prefer later shifts myself, but my 3 day weekend shift isn't bad. Nice to work without those administration busy bodies poking around.

@  Nevermore : (19 April 2019 - 04:12 AM)

Yeah, traffic is a plus as well. Rarely got any trouble getting to work on late shift (even with the neverending construction site on the highway), and when my shift is over, there's hardly any traffic at all anymore.

@  MEDdMI : (18 April 2019 - 06:27 PM)

while I don't have weekends consistently off, working 2nd shift isn't so bad. I'm more likely to do stuff before work than after (when I'm already tired). Plus no rush hour traffic

@  TM2-Megatron : (18 April 2019 - 05:03 PM)

Switching shifts constantly is never good for one's health. There was a time when I worked overnights steady for about 2 years; did wonders for my health, as well

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:36 PM)

Don't miss early shift (and especially switching back and forth every two weeks) a bit.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:36 PM)

Man, permanent late shift really has done wonders for my overal well-being. Never having to get up early for work, staying up late, weekends off... a ot of my coworkers think I'm crazy, but late shift is really my preferred shift.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:33 PM)

(My total lack of sleep on that day might have contributed, though.)

At noon, it was warm.

On Monday, we went on strike early in the morning, I was also wearing to jackets and gloves and my toes and fingers were freezing.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 April 2019 - 04:31 PM)

Nope, right now my days are doing that. Frigid at night (Well, just below zero, but still.) and warm enough to be always be ill prepared during the day.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:28 PM)

Today it's so warm I had to take a shower to wash off the sweat after a lengthy bike trip.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:27 PM)

This past Friday I was wearing two jackets and winter gloves outside and took a hot bath when I returned home.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:27 PM)

Is "April weather" an issue in other countries as well, or is that specifically a German phenomenon?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2019 - 11:04 AM)

Well, when you understand the history of the area it make sense. It's basically a series of countries buying the place, moving in, saying "we rule you people now", and the locals shrugging and responding, "okay, you have fun with that".

@  Sabrblade : (16 April 2019 - 07:58 AM)

When did we all turn into Henry Higgins?

@  unluckiness : (16 April 2019 - 03:16 AM)

To be fair, most Americans can't get the hang of English, so I can understand why.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2019 - 03:15 AM)

(And yeah, Calliope is a Greek muse, not French, but the street was named BY the French when they took over.)

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2019 - 03:10 AM)

In New Orleans there's a bunch of streets with French names that are pronounced by locals with a more English emphasis, for example "Calliope Street" is pronounced "CAL-lee-ope".

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 11:56 PM)

I figured as much for Canadians.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 April 2019 - 11:37 PM)

hm; whenever I've heard people talk about the school they said it the same way as the cathedral...but I guess that's in Canada, so they're probably more familiar with the cathedral than the school

@  Dracula : (15 April 2019 - 11:11 PM)

There's plenty of place names in the US like that. Around here we have an "el doh-RAY-doh," and up north there's a Cairo that's pronounced "kay-roh"

@  RichardT1977 : (15 April 2019 - 09:56 PM)

Yeah, the common pronunciation of the University is probably the reason most Americans don't pronounce the Cathedral name correctly.

@  Arazyr : (15 April 2019 - 08:03 PM)

That's my understanding of how the two are supposed to be pronounced as well.

@  Echowarrior : (15 April 2019 - 07:42 PM)

When I'm talking about the cathedral, I say "noh-treh dahme". When I talk about the university, I say "noh-ter dayme". I don't see a problem with that.

@  Paladin : (15 April 2019 - 06:26 PM)

guessing "Hunchback" just got bumped WAY down the list for Disney's live-action remakes...

@  Patch : (15 April 2019 - 05:56 PM)

We all pronounce it wrong, so no one knows enough to care.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 April 2019 - 05:40 PM)

It'd be odd for most Americans not to know how to pronounce Notre Dame, considering they have a University with the same name that's the subject of a relatively popular film based around a sport most Americans love

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 04:22 PM)

Three or four more hours will be needed to contain the fire.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 04:22 PM)

Update from France 24: the Paris Fire Brigade says two towers and the main structure of the cathedral have been saved from complete destruction.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 03:57 PM)

One does not have to speak French to know that rhyming with "voter name" is off the mark.

@  Locoman : (15 April 2019 - 03:51 PM)

Really? It's an international tragedy and you're zeroing in on the people who maybe don't speak French?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 03:44 PM)

@Tm_Silverclaw I just read on BBC News that the cause is not yet clear, but officials suspect the fire could be linked to renovation work.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 03:42 PM)

Oh boy, here we go with the U.S.-American newscasters who can't pronounce "Notre Dame" correctly.

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 April 2019 - 03:38 PM)

Too soon to say.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (15 April 2019 - 03:20 PM)

Do we know if it was an attack? Arson? Or just bad wiring?

@  Nevermore : (15 April 2019 - 02:10 PM)

Religion is dead?

@  Paladin : (15 April 2019 - 02:01 PM)

major cathedral burning down on Holy Week is some kind of metaphor.

@  Benbot : (15 April 2019 - 12:54 PM)

Hard to believe a wonder of the world could just be wiped out so easily. Hopefully they can still save it

@  Benbot : (15 April 2019 - 12:51 PM)

Well, Notre Dame is burning down

@  Benbot : (15 April 2019 - 10:05 AM)

yikes I thought the site was going to be down for a while

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 09:07 PM)

So, time for another strike. No sleep for me tonight. Oh well.

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 09:04 PM)

Think Game of Thrones "light" meets Cabaret and you get the idea.

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 09:03 PM)

Kinda sorta, just with more intrigue, conspiracy, depravity, crime and violence.

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Lego Thread 3.0 - and off-brand bricks too

Best Answer Wheelimus, 31 July 2018 - 05:59 PM

Hey everyone we've got something exciting to announce - now when you're going to buy LEGO anyway you can simultaneously support The Allspark! Here's some links for ya!

General link (note the free shipping on orders over $35)

Sale items link

Thanks for reading and thanks for supporting the community!

Travis

Go to the full post

5699 replies to this topic

#1 Dvandom

Dvandom

Purveyor of Ponies. And Physics.

• Supporter
  • 16802 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:17 PM

Looks like the Lego Thread got eaten in the recent issues.

Character Builders, the ones behind the Doctor Who minifigs, have gotten into the blindbag business. $1.99 each, found at Target in their collectible cards wall by the registers. First wave has two astronauts, a race car driver, construction worker, two soldiers, one special ops soldier, two ninjas, two knights, and a zombie with exposed brain.

These do not come with baseplates or bricks, just the figures and accessories.

---Dave

ETA: WARNING! These have the same "random? whuzzat?" collation of the first Marvel Blok sets. I grabbed a stack of six packs, and five of them were the white astronaut, probably all of the copies of that figure in the entire box. So unless you plan to buy the whole box, stir it up first.

Edited by Dvandom, 10 November 2011 - 06:30 PM.

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/BW --
NEWS, REVIEWS and SIGHTINGS
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#2 Luke

Luke
  • Retired Staff
  • 15020 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:32 PM

Love the subtitle. icon-hotrod.gif

Gonna have to check these out... any pics out there? My Google-fu is weak tonight.

#3 Dvandom

Dvandom

• Supporter
  • 16802 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:58 PM

Scanned from the insert:
CBmicro1.JPG
CBmicro2.JPG

---Dave
DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#4 Luke

Luke
  • Retired Staff
  • 15020 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 12:31 AM

Thanks!

Hmm, I think the CB style is just a little too... cartoony for me to really get into. They just feel overly rounded. Might pick a few up and see if they grow on me though.

#5 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Girl Whomst Love Girls

• Staff
  • 22226 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:04 AM

Something absolutely amazing to commemorate the new LEGO thread.

Like my art? I do commissions!! -> https://www.allspark...

#6 tec

tec

Give me victory

• Supporter
  • 30090 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:36 AM

Very well done EVA

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#7 Redjack Ryan

Redjack Ryan

Hellcat "Ravage"

• Supporter
  • 1903 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 12 November 2011 - 07:40 AM

LEGO Speech Bubbles!

#8 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 16836 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:42 AM

QUOTE(Redjack Ryan @ Nov 12 2011, 07:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LEGO Speech Bubbles!

Saw those in the store about a month ago. Would have found it cooler if it didn't look like their speech bubbles were trying to strangle them.

-ZacWilliam, also, they're something that would be cooler as a free pack-in but isn't really worth paying for IMO...
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#9 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 16836 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:45 AM

What I want, after playing the free level with my son is some actual Lego Universe sets.

-ZacWilliam, even just a figure or two in a blind pack set...

#10 TSM-in-N.Y.

TSM-in-N.Y.

Enough Blood For You?

• Citizen
  • 4956 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:56 AM

Saw the new DINO theme sets and the new green stripe NINJAGO sets at TRU this AM.

All LEGO (except SW and MINDSTORMS) are BOGO 1/2 off today.

There looked to be 5-6 different DINO sets and I picked up the cheapest one.

Your friend, TSM-in-N.Y.

"You have become the very thing you swore to destroy!"
KEEP THE BEATS PHRESH YO! TSM-in-N.Y.

"To paraphrase the great M. Biehn in The Terminator, I don't misspell words, you do. Don't do that again. Listen and understand, I am out here. I can't be bargained with, I can't be reasoned with. I don't feel pity, or remorse, or fear and I absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!" - TSM-in-N.Y.

"I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some people out there in our nation don't have maps, and, uh, I believe that our education, like such as in South Africa and the Iraq, everywhere, like, such as. And I believe that they should, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., er, should help South Africa, and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future for our children." Lauren Caitlin Upton - Miss South Carolina Teen USA 2007, answering a question on why 20 percent of Americans surveyed are unable to locate the U.S. on a world map.

#11 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 4988 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:57 PM

QUOTE(Cabooceratops @ Nov 11 2011, 02:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There appears to be an error with the database.

That was amazing.

#12 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Girl Whomst Love Girls

• Staff
  • 22226 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 12 November 2011 - 02:45 PM

QUOTE(Benbot @ Nov 12 2011, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Cabooceratops @ Nov 11 2011, 02:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There appears to be an error with the database.

That was amazing.

Sorry, here's the Flickr gallery.

Like my art? I do commissions!! -> https://www.allspark...

#13 Betty Nor

Betty Nor
  • Citizen
  • 7674 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:30 PM

Yeah, TRU.com has the new Ninjago sets (minus that sweet boat), and the new City sets - along with free shipping, no minimum purchase. I took advantage of it to finally get that Alien Conquest HQ and the new Forest Police Station.

#14 DeadPigmon

DeadPigmon
  • Supporter
  • 12338 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:33 AM

http://www.bleedingc...arts-next-week/

Whoever said that you can?t base your movie on millions of lumps of knobbly plastic?

Warner Bros has greenlit a live-action/animation hybrid based on the world of Lego, which will apparently feature flesh-and-blood stars in an 80% Lego world. Australian animation company Animal House (best known so far for their work on Happy Feet) have been chosen to create the animation, winning the film incentives from the Australian governenment and the state of New South Wales.

Variety reports that more details will be revealed when the movie starts production next month.

The movie is set for release in 2014, but it may be delayed until 2016 if someone trips over on set.

HA!..wait maybe this means we will get a LEGO land here !

#15 Luke

Luke
  • Retired Staff
  • 15020 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:33 AM

Picked up two of the Character Building blindpacks today. Got the Black Ops guy and the Zombie by feeling them out. They're the only two I wanted, so I'm not likely to go back for more. Cute, but not something I need the whole set of.

I was wondering if there were any codes out there, but Google still yields virtually nothing about them. Additionally, I'm not seeing any sort of potential code--there's a 13-digit number stamped at the bottom, but it's the same on both. The packs seem exactly the same.

Edited by Lukeblast, 14 November 2011 - 12:35 AM.

#16 LoomX

LoomX

Go on, have a jump!

• Supporter
  • 478 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:11 AM

QUOTE(Lukeblast @ Nov 14 2011, 05:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was wondering if there were any codes out there, but Google still yields virtually nothing about them. Additionally, I'm not seeing any sort of potential code--there's a 13-digit number stamped at the bottom, but it's the same on both. The packs seem exactly the same.

If they're the same as the Doctor Who minifigs then I don't think they'll have any codes on them. It's just a case of feeling the bags, which has left me with 4 spare Eleventh Doctors and a couple of Amy's in my search for Rory and River. I eventually found Rory (annoyingly, the same day I bought one off ebay) but River, who is packed 1 per case, still eludes me.

#17 (Deactivated) BB Shockwave

(Deactivated) BB Shockwave
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:38 AM

Wow, check out some of the new snake-men: on Brickipedia. Some have two heads! icon-hotrod.gif And man, they couldn't even be more inspired by Yuan-Ti. The higher ranking they are, the less humanoid they look - the generals have both snake heads and snake-tails for lower bodies, just like the D&D monster's 'abominations'.

QUOTE(Betty Nor @ Nov 13 2011, 04:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, TRU.com has the new Ninjago sets (minus that sweet boat), and the new City sets - along with free shipping, no minimum purchase. I took advantage of it to finally get that Alien Conquest HQ and the new Forest Police Station.

Yay! Hope they arrive in Europe soon, too. Can't wait to do some Fang Shuei rearrangement in my flat. icon-hotrod.gif

How much do the single-carded Ninjago sets cost in the USA, btw? Here, they are quite pricey (about 13$).

Edited by BB Shockwave, 14 November 2011 - 10:16 AM.

#18 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 16836 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:27 AM

Saw some of the new sets at TRU. I really like that snake shooting shake copter. Just a cool design. The black car was a little generic batmobiley for me but the minifigures we're cool I'll have to get at least one Snake Man at some point.

Those were the only two Ninjago on hand but they had the Big TRex base, med. Pterosaur, and small raptor sets for DINO. I want to like these more because I love LEGO and love Dinosaurs, but they havn't wowed me yet. "Dinohunters" has been done so much since JP in media and toys that it feels a bit Generic. My wife has decided that they're actually unlicensed Terra Nova Legos. icon-arcee.gif I'm hoping the triceratops set excites me more when I see it.

-ZacWilliam, I want the Lego Superheroes already. I need the Superman/Wonder Woman set but I really want to see more Marvel pics..l

#19 Dvandom

Dvandom

• Supporter
  • 16802 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:22 AM

I fail at Doctor Who blind bags. I went through all the ones at the local Hastings (they now have the bags for $4 each) and was sure I'd gotten some Daleks. Instead, I got the Doctor, a Silent, and THREE Amy Ponds (all the common version). Since I already had a Doctor and an Amy from an Amazon purchase, not exactly the result I was hoping for.

---Dave
DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#20 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 42076 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:09 AM

I bought 7 of the Character Builders from Target. Just randomly grabbed them. Five are for my sister for Christmas and I opened two for myself. I got two of the white astronaut. I'll be keeping the visor down and using it as a placeholder River Song for now, of course!

And Dave, once you find a Dalek, you know you've found a Dalek. There is no mistaking it. It's just ridiculously beefy in that baggie.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users